PDA

View Full Version : Will Dinara Safina become a top player again?

ElusiveChanteuse
May 26th, 2010, 08:25 AM
After the defeat in Paris, she's out of the top 10 now. If her bad form continues, she might not be able to defend Wimbledon SF points and fall even further down in the rankings. Do you think she can bounce back and be the player she used to be?

Direwolf
May 26th, 2010, 08:26 AM
yes

wheres the poll

Caralenko
May 26th, 2010, 08:39 AM
"Might not" defend her Wimbly SF pts? :lol: I will bet you my left leg she won't.

pattyclijsters
May 26th, 2010, 08:54 AM
i think she may bounce bag, top 5 with chances to win a slam.

matthias
May 26th, 2010, 08:54 AM
again? for me she never was

thegreendestiny
May 26th, 2010, 08:55 AM
I hope not. She made a mess in her time.

Cakeisgood
May 26th, 2010, 08:58 AM
She's almost definitely missed her window for a slam win (truly wasted it with RG 09 and to a certain extent, 08 as well).
I'm almost positive she'll find her way back into the top 10, whether she can ascend back to the actual top is unclear at this point.

TennisFan66
May 26th, 2010, 09:06 AM
There is no option for possibly winning a Slam without dominating the tour.

AS for the question asked, I cannot see why not (health problems permitting). IMO Dinara's problem is health, confidence and match practice. If health is ok again, it is (imo) only a matter of time before she'll play her best tennis again.

Lord Choc Ice
May 26th, 2010, 09:07 AM
She will be more or less the same like she was. (top 10 but still slamless)

disco_rage
May 26th, 2010, 09:11 AM
In my humble opinion she needs to take some time off, get the back fully healed and then comeback. I think she came back way to soon, and if the back heals and she can play like she did in 2008/2009 clay season (not including the RG finals of course) then i think she could possibily win Roland Garros one day.

Fantasy Hero
May 26th, 2010, 09:37 AM
where's the "she won't dominate the tour but will have a chance of win a slam?" chance?

anw Anna C. is not done, she will be back trust me :p

DOUBLEFIST
May 26th, 2010, 09:42 AM
After the defeat in Paris, she's out of the top 10 now. If her bad form continues, she might not be able to defend Wimbledon SF points and fall even further down in the rankings. Do you think she can bounce back and be the player she used to be?
Nope.

- And I'll say this again despite the fact that some DUMB ASS poster around here (you know who you are) decided to bad rep me and proceeded to compared Dinara to Serena of 2005 (who, incidentally had SEVEN SLAMS by then) smh

...She's done.

Carotastrophe
May 26th, 2010, 09:44 AM
Done like Alize

Jajaloo
May 26th, 2010, 09:46 AM
I dont care, but yes she will. She just has to train really hard... or f""" the right people.

darkgemini87
May 26th, 2010, 09:52 AM
from top 10 to top 20....
and still have a feeling like Jankovic will never win a grand slam

GrandMartha
May 26th, 2010, 09:54 AM
again? for me she never was

:weirdo:
go stick to your useless german chokers :wavey:

Olórin
May 26th, 2010, 09:57 AM
I see her getting back to the top 10 at some point. I just hope she doesn't retire. The tour can't afford to lose top players after one major injury.

Caralenko
May 26th, 2010, 10:01 AM
Nope.

- And I'll say this again despite the fact that some DUMB ASS poster around here (you know who you are) decided to bad rep me and proceeded to compared Dinara to Serena of 2005 (who, incidentally had SEVEN SLAMS by then) smh

...She's done.

FYI, that was about never counting anyone out, especially a player who saved 4 MPs on her way to her first grand slam final :wavey:

DOUBLEFIST
May 26th, 2010, 10:08 AM
FYI, that was about never counting anyone out, especially a player who saved 4 MPs on her way to her first grand slam final :wavey:
And yours was for just being you. :wavey:

Caralenko
May 26th, 2010, 10:13 AM
And yours was for just being you. :wavey:

Well aren't you mature. Serena was beaten by Jill Craybas at Wimbly 05. That's not too far off losing to Kimiko IMO :lol: I don't think Jill has a career high of #4. :wavey:

These recent losses are nothing more than an indicator of her lack of confidence anyway. It'll take her a long time to build it up like she used to have it, but I have no doubt she'll get atleast a few more titles before she has to retire.

DS.Fan.
May 26th, 2010, 10:15 AM
You think too much!Pls think about when she will win a match and when she will play her normal game:p

edificio
May 26th, 2010, 10:17 AM
In my humble opinion she needs to take some time off, get the back fully healed and then comeback. I think she came back way to soon, and if the back heals and she can play like she did in 2008/2009 clay season (not including the RG finals of course) then i think she could possibily win Roland Garros one day.

My choice isn't on the poll, so I will agree with this comment.

Also, I don't believe Chakvetadze is done either. But I don't see any slams titles in her future.

DOUBLEFIST
May 26th, 2010, 10:21 AM
Well aren't you mature. Serena was beaten by Jill Craybas at Wimbly 05. That's not too far off losing to Kimiko IMO :lol: I don't think Jill has a career high of #4. :wavey:

These recent losses are nothing more than an indicator of her lack of confidence anyway. It'll take her a long time to build it up like she used to have it, but I have no doubt she'll get atleast a few more titles before she has to retire.
What a sly little troll you are. :rolleyes:

Serena had a track record at that time that PROVED she was an all time great. She proved it multiple times in multiple ways.

For you to compare Serena '05 who had actually won the AO that year, picking up her 7th slam to Safina (how many slams has she won this year, btw?) is utterly foolish and wishful thinking.

Now, I understand your sentiment. Dinara's a favorite of yours. And you don't like anyone underestimating her. fine. I get that. But for you to give some one a bad rep for merely stating their opinion is petulant and childish. :wavey: :rolleyes:

Caralenko
May 26th, 2010, 10:25 AM
Now, I understand your sentiment. Dinara's a favorite of yours. And you don't like anyone underestimating her. fine. I get that. But for you to give some one a bad rep for merely stating their opinion is petulant and childish. :wavey: :rolleyes:

What else would I do with a bad rep? :lol: Give it to you for facts? No, this forum is made up for opinions and if someone rubs me the wrong way then I have the right to bad rep them.

DOUBLEFIST
May 26th, 2010, 10:29 AM
What else would I do with a bad rep? :lol: Give it to you for facts? No, this forum is made up for opinions and if someone rubs me the wrong way then I have the right to bad rep them.
:lol: do as you will. :shrug: It's certainly your right.

It doesn't make it any less petulant or immature or petty. Clearly, despite changing your Av' and your name, your pettiness remains.

homogenius
May 26th, 2010, 10:29 AM
Her great results were mostly due to her improved level of fitness and the fact she was high on confidence after winning so many close matches again and again.It was kinda expected she'd have to pay the price of all the efforts at one point.
To get back to the top (at least to the top10)she'd have first to be healthy, then get her fitness back etc....But the most dificult part will be to gain some confidence again.On the positives, she'll have a lot less pressure now so maybe it'll help her.

DOUBLEFIST
May 26th, 2010, 10:46 AM
Her great results were mostly due to her improved level of fitness and the fact she was high on confidence after winning so many close matches again and again.It was kinda expected she'd have to pay the price of all the efforts at one point.
To get back to the top (at least to the top10)she'd have first to be healthy, then get her fitness back etc....But the most dificult part will be to gain some confidence again.On the positives, she'll have a lot less pressure now so maybe it'll help her.
I agree with what you're saying. The problem is that so much of getting back that level of fitness is dependent on her back staying healthy. I think Dinara said it best when, expressing her frustration, she said it's difficult because you use your back for virtually EVERYTHING you do on the court. It's a very difficult injury to come back from - let alone return to a prior peak level. In my estimation, this is much like Maria's injury in the sense that it is a game style changer. When Maria hurt her shoulder, I predicted she wouldn't be the same player and took a lot of heat for it. I see this much the same way.

...Of course I also predicted that Maria would retire early and, obviously, I was utterly wrong. So..., :shrug: take it for what it's worth.

sandv1
May 26th, 2010, 11:17 AM
Slamless Ladies (2010 remix - sample)

All the slamless ladies, all the slamless ladies
All the slamless ladies

Now put your racquets up
Up in the lockers, we can’t get enough
I’m breaking more of my strings
Decided to drop and you wanna top
Cause your fave semiretired

I’m beneath her, she’s beating me
Don’t pay her any attention
Just cried my tears, for three last years
Ya can’t be glad for me

claypova
May 26th, 2010, 11:18 AM
ive never been a fan of Dinara, but it would be sad to see her drop the rankings and never go back high because of an injury.

top 20? top 15? i'd say she could go around there, and be considered a dangerous floater. but i dont think she'll be able to reach top 5 or win a grand slam.

goldenlox
May 26th, 2010, 11:18 AM
If her back holds, there's no reson why she shouldn't be a decent player.
She has not played well so far, but she's coming back from not playing at all because of her back.
So it might take her a few months to get her rhythm and confidence back.

Steven.
May 26th, 2010, 11:35 AM
from top 10 to top 20....
and still have a feeling like Jankovic will never win a grand slam

She'll drop out of the top 20 if any three of Henin, Kuznetsova, Zvonareva and Rezai win their Round 2 matches.

goldenlox
May 26th, 2010, 12:13 PM
Because of her back problems, she doesn't have much to defend after Cincy.
When Wimbledon SF points come off, she'll fall some more. But if she starts winning matches, she'll climb back up. She was #1 for 26 weeks last year. That's half the year

StephenUK
May 26th, 2010, 01:17 PM
It all depends on her back. 2010 is pretty much over for her - I just hope she does not try and play through the pain and gives herself time to recover. My guess is that she was 100% determined not to miss the clay despite her back pain but I am sure she will pull out of Wimbledon, where she is bound to lose early.

Look at all the other players who have come back after injury and illness - the Williams sisters, the Belgians included. There is no reason why Dinara can't come back, especially if the Williams-Belgians start to fade in the next two years with age, it's not like there's anyone else who looks to dominate in their place.

PLP
May 26th, 2010, 04:33 PM
Out of the options I voted for
She will be more or less the same like she was. (top 10 but still slamless)

BUT I think she has a shot at winning a slam or 2 still. SHe needs to be under no pressure and healthy again...so let's see how she is doing next year.

John.
May 26th, 2010, 04:37 PM
It depends on her back like other posters have already said.She has returned to early IMO

narutos
May 26th, 2010, 04:38 PM
Because of her back problems, she doesn't have much to defend after Cincy.
When Wimbledon SF points come off, she'll fall some more. But if she starts winning matches, she'll climb back up. She was #1 for 26 weeks last year. That's half the year

Maybe but the circus is over, Belgians are back Sharapova is finding some form again. I predict Sharapova WS and Belgians being in the top 5 at the end of the year.

Aaric
May 26th, 2010, 04:39 PM
Yes

Serenus Christ
May 26th, 2010, 04:48 PM
I think she has reinjured her back.
And I think all the work she has done for the mental part of her game has been thrown out the window.
She is going to need atleast one solid year (of fitness, but more importantly, mental training) before she comes back to Rome + Madrid 2009 form.

Can be done. She is young still time to work.
I think she should take a break from tennis for one year and just get mentally stable and come back without expectations..

Bijoux0021
May 26th, 2010, 05:34 PM
I think she has reinjured her back.
And I think all the work she has done for the mental part of her game has been thrown out the window.
She is going to need atleast one solid year (of fitness, but more importantly, mental training) before she comes back to Rome + Madrid 2009 form.

Can be done. She is young still time to work.
I think she should take a break from tennis for one year and just get mentally stable and come back without expectations..
Agreed. Mentally, it's going to be a lot harder for her to come back than physically.

V's a star
May 26th, 2010, 05:48 PM
She'll be like JJ.

danieln1
May 26th, 2010, 06:10 PM
"Might not" defend her Wimbly SF pts? :lol: I will bet you my left leg she won't.

You already bet your kidney she woulnd´t play in Stuttgart, now you want to be without a leg????

But this time 100% sure you won´t lose your leg! :haha: