PDA

View Full Version : Could topic starters stop using nicknames ?

LightWarrior
May 26th, 2010, 01:31 AM
I mean it's getting old. Not everybody in this board knows your favourites' nickname and eat wtaworld 24 hours. Who the hell is Bam bam ? This is getting ridiculous. Where are the mods ?

tonybotz
May 26th, 2010, 01:35 AM
i think the nicknames are hysterical once you embrace them. very cheeky.

Edinboro
May 26th, 2010, 01:40 AM
I agree with the OP. It's not even funny anyways. :shrug:

earthcrystal
May 26th, 2010, 01:40 AM
Bam Bam is pretty obvious, but I agree that some are pretty cryptic.

While we're making requests though...
ENOUGH "flowers" "GOATS" & bastardizations of players names already, i.e. Pushniacki, Slumpnova, etc.

Seriously, how old is the median age of posters here...12?

edificio
May 26th, 2010, 01:42 AM
I would second this request for match results threads. Sometimes I just want to see the score quickly, but the nickname defeats me. Also, I put in a request for avoiding insulting nicknames in match result thread titles.

Wannabeknowitall
If a player WANTS her fans to use the nickname, then who are you to tell us otherwise. :lol:
Jelena Jankovic likes to be called JJ.
Bammer probably doesn't know about her nickname but I'm sure she would like it once she understood the concept behind it. :p

LightWarrior
i think the nicknames are hysterical once you embrace them. very cheeky.

So hysterical that when I read that Bam Bam defeated whoever I thought that it was Lady Gaga...Hysterical indeed. Come on...:help:

edificio
May 26th, 2010, 01:45 AM
If a player WANTS her fans to use the nickname, then who are you to tell us otherwise. :lol:
Jelena Jankovic likes me called JJ.
Bammer probably doesn't know about her nickname but I'm sure she would like it once she understood the concept behind it. :p

JJ is usually clear. I wish I could remember the one from a week ago that I could not figure out.

Wannabeknowitall
May 26th, 2010, 01:47 AM

I thought it was pretty obvious when I started the nickname about 3 years ago. :lol:
So obviously I would like it to stay.

Also I would like "big bitch Kleybanova" to stay. People might not like it but from me it's a term of endearment.

And I'll be using it for a while because big bitch Kleybanova is making a deep run at this year's Roland Garros.
I really see her making it to the semis.

LightWarrior
May 26th, 2010, 01:48 AM
I would second this request for match results threads. Sometimes I just want to see the score quickly, but the nickname defeats me. Also, I put in a request for avoiding insulting nicknames in match result thread titles.

Exactly, I did the same. I don't mind fans using nicknames when they talk about their favourite player but for results it's a different matter. I don't know who the hell Bam Bam is and I don't even want to know. Some nobody or some top player. Don't know, never will. it put me off.

Wannabeknowitall
May 26th, 2010, 01:49 AM
So hysterical that when I read that Bam Bam defeated whoever I thought that it was Lady Gaga...Hysterical indeed. Come on...:help:

Bam Bam has been Sybille Bammer's nickname even before you became a member of this forum.
SO DEAL WITH IT!!!

goldenlox
May 26th, 2010, 01:49 AM
It's something the mods have to look at.
I went to menstennisforum and one thread was
donkey humps pony.

No casual fan understands that, or wants to understand it.
And a lot of these nicknames are just insults

edificio
May 26th, 2010, 01:51 AM
donkey humps pony.

Oh my god. I have no idea. Is Nadal the donkey? Forget it. I've no idea.

LightWarrior
May 26th, 2010, 01:52 AM
I thought it was pretty obvious when I started the nickname about 3 years ago. :lol:
So obviously I would like it to stay.

Also I would like "big bitch Kleybanova" to stay. People might not like it but from me it's a term of endearment.

God you're so self centered. Don't you realize that some people here have a life outside of wtaworld ?

debby
May 26th, 2010, 01:53 AM
donkey humps pony.

Davydenko def Del Potro :P

clay viking def piggy = who? :lol:

Wannabeknowitall
May 26th, 2010, 01:56 AM
donkey humps pony.

The majority of the people on these forums are not casual fans.
We know every stat you can imagine when it comes to our favorites.
We dish them out better than most of the tennis commentators whose job it is to actually mention certain stats.

Censoring people for the nicknames they have for certain players is overbearing.
I heard plenty of people call Golovin Tati at previous slams in person and no one ever thought of reprimanding them because they said it. In fact I don't even recall Tatiana complaining about it.

So really what gives you the right to if they don't? :help:

Midnight_Robber
May 26th, 2010, 01:57 AM
^^^^ Ew! :(

Anyway... On the one hand I think that nicknames like JJ, Vee, Rena or Ma$ha are so commonly used that most people know who is being referred to, right? (Seriously, is there anyone who doesn't know who I'm alluding to?)

It's convenient shorthand. But if you start to argue for 'some' nicknames to be preserved, but not others (and I'll admit that I'm tempted to) it starts to favour some fan-bases (usually of more high profile players) over others and becomes discriminatory.

So yeah - it's probably best to just to stop being lazy, cute or 'chic' and just go by the surname.

Then at least everybody knows the result instantly without having to wade through the thread to figure out who the heck even played the match. :o

Edinboro
May 26th, 2010, 01:57 AM
I dont think Kleybanova would like to be refered to as "Big Bitch" term of endearment or not. :lol:

But some of them are just odd. Like once time I saw so and so makes minced meat out of so and sos potato salad. I mean ...

Wannabeknowitall
May 26th, 2010, 02:01 AM
God you're so self centered. Don't you realize that some people here have a life outside of wtaworld ?

Obviously you don't if you're nitpicking over these things.
I have a life outside of wtaworld but when I am here I root on my favorites the way I find it appropriate.
Not the way you deem reasonable.

If Serena fans want to nickname her Meeka as Richard Williams does then you have absolutely NO RIGHT TO TELL ANYONE OTHERWISE.
It's always the ones with self-righteous facade that always end up looking the most like a draconian tyrant in the end. :help:

SAISAI-GOAT
May 26th, 2010, 02:03 AM
need to keep nicknames :p

edificio
May 26th, 2010, 02:04 AM
The original poster requested this. A request can be accept or rejected.

Wannabeknowitall
May 26th, 2010, 02:05 AM
need to keep nicknames :p

:lol: Of course. :haha:

LightWarrior
May 26th, 2010, 02:16 AM
Obviously you don't if you're nitpicking over these things.
I have a life outside of wtaworld but when I am here I root on my favorites the way I find it appropriate.
Not the way you deem reasonable.

If Serena fans want to nickname her Meeka as Richard Williams does then you have absolutely NO RIGHT TO TELL ANYONE OTHERWISE.
It's always the ones with self-righteous facade that always end up looking the most like a draconian tyrant in the end. :help:

I don't have any right but you should consider having respect for newcomers. I just opened this thread so results threads could be more "visible" and obvious to anyone.

Aaron.
May 26th, 2010, 02:18 AM
I agree it's very annoying now..people are overdoing it

miffedmax
May 26th, 2010, 02:58 AM
I agree on some of them, or score threads that insult one of the players. I know Bam bam, but there were some score reports where I've been like "WTF" and I'm pretty damn regular around here.

It's really worse at the slams, when you get the combination of a lot of people suddenly caring about matches involving players they don't know well, more casual fans checking results, and lots of players in the draw. But it's not the end of the world either way.

mboyle
May 26th, 2010, 03:01 AM
Um Lady Jaja and Pushniacki have to stay.

Jajaloo
May 26th, 2010, 03:01 AM
I agree. Especially Juju Heng or Jutine Allez.

Steadyniacki
May 26th, 2010, 05:17 AM
If you dont know who pushniacki is that's your own fault :lol:

I love the nicknames it makes the thread title fun and personal, sure we have a to keep it to a level that everyone understands tho :)

earthcrystal
May 26th, 2010, 05:58 AM
Seeing some of the responses, I see my previous question is answered. People attached to nicks like "Pushniacki" is akin to schoolyard bullies that are into name-calling...so yeah, 12 years old seems about right.

Blech.

TS
May 26th, 2010, 06:06 AM
Stop using acronyms too. It took me a while to figure out that APS was Arantxa Parra-Santonja and not a telecommunications company.

Lachy
May 26th, 2010, 07:49 AM
JuJu Heng :haha:

Becool
May 26th, 2010, 07:57 AM
I admit, I didn't know who Bam Bam was..

fufuqifuqishahah
May 26th, 2010, 08:03 AM
whenever people don't understand something, they freak out and become upset that they have to do extra work to figure things out. if they don't learn how to embrace the difference, they get so upset they try to assert some power over the thing they don't understand.

TennisFan66
May 26th, 2010, 08:17 AM

While we're making requests though...
ENOUGH "flowers" "GOATS" & bastardizations of players names already, i.e. Pushniacki, Slumpnova, etc.

Agree with OP. I gotta admit I saw the Bam Bam headline and thought the same.

As for above. Agree again. I'm so tired reading about FLOWERS and GOATS.

IMO it would be great if at least headlines could read in an adult language.

Inside a thread, nicknames or the unavoidable insults are what they are. Actual nicknames are good in the way it saves some typing, i.e Vika, Caro, Aga etc. Such are also endearing rather than the insulting variations.

Thieving Magpie
May 26th, 2010, 08:42 AM
This forum is like the epitome for no decency, no manners, or no politeness and that's the basic ingredient of its success. Any form of censorship will make it less bitchy and therefor less interesting. It's a bit like Paris Hilton - a mirror of society.

Libertango
May 26th, 2010, 08:42 AM
I agree, the names need to... not be so prominent. To me, the thread titles should be the actual players names, in simple, adult language. Not ridiculous GOATs, flowers, GFs, and then those silly words to replace defeats (like "herbicides," for example) Then, within the thread, people can just refer to whichever nickname they like; at least then other people can get it. Occasionally I have to open a thread just to know who people are talking about.

The nicknames (IMO) aren't at all funny (like AT ALL) entertaining or, at times, very respectful.

And to the OP - yes, I actually do think the average age of this board is 12. Possibly 13.

Shvedbarilescu
May 26th, 2010, 09:08 AM
I agree on some of them, or score threads that insult one of the players. I know Bam bam, but there were some score reports where I've been like "WTF" and I'm pretty damn regular around here.

It's really worse at the slams, when you get the combination of a lot of people suddenly caring about matches involving players they don't know well, more casual fans checking results, and lots of players in the draw. But it's not the end of the world either way.

Yes. I am actually ok with virtually all nicknames and these three or for letter intials like ALG, MLDB, MJMS,APS or AMG are fine with me too. Like miffedmax the only nicknames I take exception to are the ones that are clearly and deliberately derogotory, Pushniacki being a great example, and I don't even care about Wozniacki.

I really don't think these kind of derogotory names have a place here. This is not a kindergarten where we should be calling the players we don't like names. If we don't like a player that is totally cool and we can express that and say why. We can even make the occasional joke at her expense but namecalling? Come on guys. That's the stuff of 8 years olds and surely we are better than that.

I have also never liked the term "MM" borrowed from Mens Tennis Forum. This is nothing more than a derogotory term to denigrate the value of small International WTA tournaments. Fact is these tournaments have great value and the WTA tour is much more than what happens in a dozen or so tournaments a year. Without International tournaments most of the tour would have nowhere to go most of the year to make money and develop their skills and consequently we would not even have enough quality players to fill the 128 spots in a Grand Slam draw.

Finally term GOAT, again stolen for Mens Tennis Forum is has become seriously overused and its not funny or clever. Lets remind ourselves of something. GOAT stands for Greatest Of All Time. It was coined on Mens Tennis Forum to refer to Federer. And for that purpose it works a treat, capturing as it does Federer's own obsession with being reveered, as well as cheekily refering to the fact that goats are very common in Switzerland along with acknowledging that Federer could very well be the greatest men's player of all time. But when it is applied in here to refer to any player who is doing well, it is inevitably done with a sense of irony that frankly falls flat. What was a very cute and clever term to describe Federer simply doesn't have the same inpact or effectiveness when applied to any of the girls on the current WTA tour, and instead becomes a tired boring cliche that has outlived it's usefulness.

narutos
May 26th, 2010, 09:14 AM
Agree with the OP, and it's mostly because of this na goat God I can't stand him.

Beat
May 26th, 2010, 09:18 AM
i agree with nothingfails999????? :eek:

Qalahari
May 26th, 2010, 09:20 AM
Yes. I am actually ok with virtually all nicknames and these three or for letter intials like ALG, MLDB, MJMS,APS or AMG are fine with me too. Like miffedmax the only nicknames I take exception to are the ones that are clearly and deliberately derogotory, Pushniacki being a great example, and I don't even care about Wozniacki.

I really don't think these kind of derogotory names have a place here. This is not a kindergarten where we should be calling the players we don't like names. If we don't like a player that is totally cool and we can express that and say why. We can even make the occasional joke at her expense but namecalling? Come on guys. That's the stuff of 8 years olds and surely we are better than that.

I have also never liked the term "MM" borrowed from Mens Tennis Forum. This is nothing more than a derogotory term to denigrate the value of small International WTA tournaments. Fact is these tournaments have great value and the WTA tour is much more than what happens in a dozen or so tournaments a year. Without International tournaments most of the tour would have nowhere to go most of the year to make money and develop their skills and consequently we would not even have enough quality players to fill the 128 spots in a Grand Slam draw.

Finally term GOAT, again stolen for Mens Tennis Forum is has become seriously overused and its not funny or clever. Lets remind ourselves of something. GOAT stands for Greatest Of All Time. It was coined on Mens Tennis Forum to refer to Federer. And for that purpose it works a treat, capturing as it does Federer's own obsession with being reveered, as well as cheekily refering to the fact that goats are very common in Switzerland along with acknowledging that Federer could very well be the greatest men's player of all time. But when it is applied in here to refer to any player who is doing well, it is inevitably done with a sense of irony that frankly falls flat. What was a very cute and clever term to describe Federer simply doesn't have the same inpact or effectiveness when applied to any of the girls on the current WTA tour, and instead becomes a tired boring cliche that has outlived it's usefulness.

This. :)... I'd like to goodrep you but I can't :hug:

Inktrailer
May 26th, 2010, 09:53 AM
totally agree about using players names when making titles, particularly results titles where you're just looking for that thread or sometimes just even the result. Nicknames like JJ, Vee, Masha are generally used by lots of people including the players, crap about flowers, GOATS or derogotory shite like Pushniacki are just pathetic and make it difficult to find threads and/or just to try and rile other people.

Call people whatever the hell you want inside a thread but try and have a bit of common ground and deceny when making a results thread.

Shvedbarilescu
May 26th, 2010, 10:03 AM
I would like to add something to clarify my previous post.

I abhor virtually all censorship. I do not believe we should be telling people what they can and can't write in this forum except in exceptional cases. I do however believe in self censorship, although that might be an idealistic concept.

In other words I would hate to see posters disallowed from using derogotory nicknames. What I would however absolutely love to see is for posters to decide for themselves that they don't wish to use such terms because they understand that it reflects badly on them and makes them look immature, unoriginal, ignorant and even rather mean spirited.

disco_rage
May 26th, 2010, 10:50 AM
I think some are fine, but others are a bit out there... really though, on things like score threads i dont think they should be there or do what some people do and put the real name and the nickname in if needs must, like maybe Sybille "BamBam" Bammer etc.... unless its really obvious like JJ or Pushniacki.....

Carotastrophe
May 26th, 2010, 10:55 AM
I think the Golden Flower ones are fine. The people in china call them that, so why not. I hear even the news does. However, those such as Bam Bam are quite annoying. Those are not understandable and we do not know who they are unless we check. I do not like the mean name calling such as 'Pushniacki' as well.

Shvedbarilescu
May 26th, 2010, 11:10 AM
I think the Golden Flower ones are fine. The people in china call them that, so why not. I hear even the news does. However, those such as Bam Bam are quite annoying. Those are not understandable and we do not know who they are unless we check. I do not like the mean name calling such as 'Pushniacki' as well.

Yeah, names like "Golden Flowers" and "Bam Bam" are playful and affectionate. Maybe not every poster understands them but most do and those who don't basically don't care enough to find out. As long as a nickname isn't deliberately insulting I don't have a problem with any of them.

Olórin
May 26th, 2010, 11:20 AM
I agree, the majority of the nicknames are annoying in the titles of results threads. This place is one hair-breadth away from becoming as much of a joke as MTF in terms of GM vocab.

Joana
May 26th, 2010, 12:01 PM
People should just use common sense. Everyone knows who JJ or Ree refers to. Slumpnova could be like 15 different players.

Olórin
May 26th, 2010, 12:06 PM
People should just use common sense. Everyone knows who JJ or Ree refers to. Slumpnova could be like 15 different players.

Yeah when it's initials or just a shortening of a name it's not really a problem. But when it's Slumapova or Chocolate Gateau eats a bagel or whatever - it's a bit annoying ;)

It's not like it's something you can just ignore or switch off from either as these threads dominate GM.

pav
May 26th, 2010, 12:11 PM
Hell, they have stuck that boring, hairflicking shit Federer on, so had to look at the threads, I swear some of you buggers want every player call Miss whoever, or Mrs. unbelievable, keep up the nicknames.

Inktrailer
May 26th, 2010, 12:43 PM
I would like to add something to clarify my previous post.

I abhor virtually all censorship. I do not believe we should be telling people what they can and can't write in this forum except in exceptional cases. I do however believe in self censorship, although that might be an idealistic concept.

In other words I would hate to see posters disallowed from using derogotory nicknames. What I would however absolutely love to see is for posters to decide for themselves that they don't wish to use such terms because they understand that it reflects badly on them and makes them look immature, unoriginal, ignorant and even rather mean spirited.

Exactly, very well said. It's not about about telling people what they can't do or banning them from doing anything, it's just asking for a bit of common sense and decency for the sake of the forum.

propi
May 26th, 2010, 12:56 PM
Well considering many people here don't have English as first tongue I think acronyms are hard to get, but not those for players (must be because I'm Spanish and most of the players with multiple surnames come from here) but common ones. I remember I had a hell of time to understand what OTOH meant... and I just realised what OT may mean :lol:

Finally there're nicks and nicks, some are pretty stupid or irreverent others are fine I guess but you cannot control it, that's internet whether you take it seriously or not is up to you

brickhousesupporter
May 26th, 2010, 01:02 PM
Well considering many people here don't have English as first tongue I think acronyms are hard to get, but not those for players (must be because I'm Spanish and most of the players with multiple surnames come from here) but common ones. I remember I had a hell of time to understand what OTOH meant... and I just realised what OT may mean :lol:

Finally there're nicks and nicks, some are pretty stupid or irreverent others are fine I guess but you cannot control it, that's internet whether you take it seriously or not is up to you
Those acronyms are common internet/texting acronyms and not unique to this board. I think with those it is assumed that if you are involved in any of the online communities, like facebook, twitter, texting and messageboards, you will have already encountered some of those. Just to help others out here is a useful sight

http://www.gaarde.org/acronyms/

propi
May 26th, 2010, 01:09 PM
Those acronyms are common internet/texting acronyms and not unique to this board. I think with those it is assumed that if you are involved in any of the online communities, like facebook, twitter, texting and messageboards, you will have already encountered some of those. Just to help others out here is a useful sight

http://www.gaarde.org/acronyms/
Oh, sure, but I don't use it when writing in Spanish, my mother tongue... using xq instead of por qué is just lazy, corrupts the language and writing it all is not that expensive.
So, if you don't use them in your native tongue you cannot use them in others as you don't know them!
But it's ok, I mean, no big drama, using them it's up to yourself ;)
Of course now I know, but it took some time when I first started posting in internet forums loooooooong time ago :p

Burisleif
May 26th, 2010, 02:33 PM

Censorship relates to subject not delivery.

I agree with your first post earlier.

Prevention of alienating users by banning derogatory, and insulting names, and or, 3 year old baby talk names, is in no form censorship, its common courtesy.

This is a 'forum' and that means using a common language for communication, rather than coded language... As such, not using nicknames is equivalent to not using a mother tongue in the interest of clarity, respect, and a desire to communicate. If communication is not the aim, then there is absolutely no point in writing on a 'forum'. Derogatory names are just a childish form of bullying, and antagonism, rather than communication.

If people determine it acceptable to use ambiguous nicknames then why not Cyrillic of Chinese?

ViennaCalling
May 26th, 2010, 02:43 PM

:rolleyes:

Bam Bam has been Sybille Bammer's nickname even before you became a member of this forum.
SO DEAL WITH IT!!!

THIS :worship:

ViennaCalling
May 26th, 2010, 02:46 PM

Why are they not understandable? Bam Bam is the nickname of Sybille on this board since more than 5 years :shrug: If you donīt know it, be happy that you learned something :rolleyes:

olivero
May 26th, 2010, 02:47 PM
I'm fine with nicknames when they go along with players' real names in the result threads. Like Alexandra 'Warsaw GOAT' Dulgheru. They can be funny at times.
But I hate it when they're totally random and you can't even guess who they stand for i.e. Hammertrova (or whatever Nadia was called), Juju Heng etc.

sammy01
May 26th, 2010, 02:52 PM
chances are if you don't know a nickname like bam bam you either don't like the player (i can't imagine a bammer fan not knowing her nickname) or you don't follow tennis very closely and only follow a select few players, so are you really bothered with a bemmer result thread or have you just made another stupid topic again, my monies on the latter.

goat
May 26th, 2010, 03:06 PM
Is wannabeknowitall terribly devastated that their moment of utter brilliance in creating Sybille Bammer's nickname to Bam Bam going under appreciated?

P.S, nicknames are fine for subjective topics. For factual ones surnames are nice :) and even though I don't use this site as a means to view score I still like to read people's opinion. It is difficult enough reading in english.

watchdogfish
May 26th, 2010, 03:38 PM
There's nothing wrong with being creative but if the thread titles are ridiculously/unnescessarily long or in "fan-speak" then they will be edited ;)

And...if a thread title is edited by a mod and then changed back again by the thread starter, they may be infracted.

Crazy Canuck
May 26th, 2010, 03:47 PM

YES.

I mean, how did this even become a question that needed asking? So obvious.

The day I realized that tennisforum was overrun with 12 year olds, not developmentally delayed individuals, everything here started to make more sense. This is also roughly when I stopped arguing with people in GM.

Kworb
May 26th, 2010, 04:05 PM
If you don't understand the nicknames then you're not enough of a fan to belong on a tennis forum. Just check the results on the RG website if you're interested in only that.

hurricanejeanne
May 26th, 2010, 04:22 PM
Nicknames are part of WTAWorld/TennisForum's "charm". I enjoy them. Some of them are little bit WTF, but if you read through the threads once and a while you'll be able to figure them out.

Svetlana)))
May 26th, 2010, 04:23 PM
If you don't understand the nicknames then you're not enough of a fan to belong on a tennis forum. Just check the results on the RG website if you're interested in only that.

this

pokey camp
May 26th, 2010, 05:28 PM

Finally term GOAT, again stolen for Mens Tennis Forum is has become seriously overused and its not funny or clever. Lets remind ourselves of something. GOAT stands for Greatest Of All Time. It was coined on Mens Tennis Forum to refer to Federer. And for that purpose it works a treat, capturing as it does Federer's own obsession with being reveered, as well as cheekily refering to the fact that goats are very common in Switzerland along with acknowledging that Federer could very well be the greatest men's player of all time. But when it is applied in here to refer to any player who is doing well, it is inevitably done with a sense of irony that frankly falls flat. What was a very cute and clever term to describe Federer simply doesn't have the same inpact or effectiveness when applied to any of the girls on the current WTA tour, and instead becomes a tired boring cliche that has outlived it's usefulness.MTF did NOT invent GOAT. Muhammad Ali coined it looong before Fed was even born, nearly 40 years ago. People have been using ever since.

Somewhat agree about the insulting "def." synonyms. But then again it does give a bit of personality to the forum. A shitty personality. But a personality nevertheless. If I want to read a straightforward score caption, WTF is not the first place I look. I don't care about the over the top nicknames. Coming up with deferential, lionizing, insulting, mocking nicknames for your favorite/ least favorite athletes is just part of what sports fans do. :shrug: It's not that deep.

Aaric
May 26th, 2010, 05:47 PM
Who is Bam Bam :unsure:

narutos
May 26th, 2010, 05:55 PM

Rezai because she ball bash every ball so it's like bam bam.

The Crow
May 26th, 2010, 05:56 PM
Finally someone starts this thread!! Talk about Bam Bam in a thread as much as you want, but can you please use the players' real name in the title of a scores thread?

And I agree with the 'end the flowers, goats and whatever flora and fauna names that are used around here'. Enough!

Inktrailer
May 26th, 2010, 06:06 PM

Sybille Bammer, as used by some on here.

Ceri
May 26th, 2010, 06:10 PM

Ouch! A little overdone?! I've been a member on here for ages and know quite a few of the nicknames, but newbies/occasional checkers who know we post the scores etc ASAP might not.

I don't care whether or not the nicknames stay or go WITHIN threads, but using widely recognised nickames (rather than 'hilarious' spur-of-the-moment offshoots) or actual surnames is better for the thread titles for clarity's sake. Obscure in-jokes have a final resting place, namely, the individual player forums.

cellophane
May 26th, 2010, 06:34 PM
I guess I can see how some nicknames are childish, annoying and overused (heck, I am guilty of using GOAT, even though I can see how irritating ti can be :o ), but at the same time they are just something that's been part of this board for a while. I don't know... I'm on the fence about it :shrug:

By the way I love the Hammerthrova nickname for Nadia (it refers to her dad who was a hammer thrower)

tonybotz
May 26th, 2010, 07:03 PM

this

these.

TennisFan66
May 26th, 2010, 07:28 PM
bump

Volcana
May 26th, 2010, 08:29 PM
I mean it's getting old. Not everybody in this board knows your favourites' nickname and eat wtaworld 24 hours. Who the hell is Bam bam ? This is getting ridiculous. Where are the mods ?Think of it as a clue telling you which threads to ignore. If the thread starter is referring to a player by some made-up nickname, how much information are they trying to convey anyway?

tonybotz
May 26th, 2010, 09:01 PM
Think of it as a clue telling you which threads to ignore. If the thread starter is referring to a player by some made-up nickname, how much information are they trying to convey anyway?

yea because there's really a correlation between using a players nickname and providing substantial information on said player. :rolleyes:

this is an online professional women's tennis forum. lighten up, freaks.

ViennaCalling
May 26th, 2010, 09:12 PM
Finally someone starts this thread!! Talk about Bam Bam in a thread as much as you want, but can you please use the players' real name in the title of a scores thread?

And I agree with the 'end the flowers, goats and whatever flora and fauna names that are used around here'. Enough!

Oh my god :rolleyes:

Makiri in a thread title is allowed but Bam Bam isnīt? Just because Sybille isnīt as popular as Kirilenko? If nicknames are not allowed, then they should not be allowed for EVERY player! And you are not complaining of the GOAT or JJ-threads, but the Bam Bam in the thread title? Talk about double standards ... and I thought at least the admins here are fair and a little bit intelligent. Well, I was wrong :o

And as far as I know the mods didnīt edit the thread title, so it wasnīt that wrong I guess :shrug:

Stamp Paid
May 26th, 2010, 09:40 PM
:awww::baby::weirdo:
you whiny ass posters are so annoying.

GeeTee
May 26th, 2010, 09:56 PM
I am so sick of thread titles like "GOAT-Golden Flower makes Chop Suey out of Pushniacki 76 62"

LightWarrior
May 26th, 2010, 09:58 PM

I'm not interested in that only, that's the thing.;)
Also you could just make a list of all - and I mean all - players who have nickames that we will memorize to save time.:lol:

Alexj
May 26th, 2010, 09:59 PM

THIS

I like the nicknames. It makes discussing the players more fun and is interesting when the wta website starts using them i.e. JJ, Vika, etc...

slamchamp
May 26th, 2010, 10:00 PM
I am so sick of thread titles like "GOAT-Golden Flower makes Chop Suey out of Pushniacki 76 62":haha: I love them they're hilarious

The Crow
May 26th, 2010, 10:01 PM
Oh my god :rolleyes:

Makiri in a thread title is allowed but Bam Bam isnīt? Just because Sybille isnīt as popular as Kirilenko? If nicknames are not allowed, then they should not be allowed for EVERY player! And you are not complaining of the GOAT or JJ-threads, but the Bam Bam in the thread title? Talk about double standards ... and I thought at least the admins here are fair and a little bit intelligent. Well, I was wrong :o

What? The Bam bam thing was just an example (as it was used by the thread starter) :confused: I clearly said people should use the real names of the players (all players) in the thread title.

Sometimes I use wtaworld to quickly browse the results of the day. And honestly, although i follow tennis quite a bit, I sometimes have no idea who the players are by merely looking at the thread title.

So Makiri is Kirilenko, eh? Good to know lol

brent-o
May 26th, 2010, 10:12 PM
The OP has a point in that it's confusing to those out of the loop. But it's still fun. Maybe include nicknames along with their actual names too?

propi
May 26th, 2010, 10:53 PM
http://classism.org.uk/custom/aac_full_logo.gif

rjd1111
May 26th, 2010, 11:38 PM
The majority of the people on these forums are not casual fans.
We know every stat you can imagine when it comes to our favorites.
We dish them out better than most of the tennis commentators whose job it is to actually mention certain stats.

Censoring people for the nicknames they have for certain players is overbearing.
I heard plenty of people call Golovin Tati at previous slams in person and no one ever thought of reprimanding them because they said it. In fact I don't even recall Tatiana complaining about it.

So really what gives you the right to if they don't? :help:

You really do know it all.

Tati, Kuzzy, Bepa, ARad, Sunshine, Kleybo, Mars Bars,

Mel-O, Kimmy-Poo, Cibi, JJ, MaKiri, Stubsi, etc, etc

are names the regulars use endearingly. Even the names

that are not endearing convey something about the player,

poster, or an incident that everyone knows.

And when a new poster who has been here for a hot minute

starts trying to dictate what people who have been here

for years can say is whats really annoying.

I didn't know the lingo used when I started But I STFU

and stuck around til I learned.

Ntosake
May 27th, 2010, 12:36 AM
You really do know it all.

Tati, Kuzzy, Bepa, ARad, Sunshine, Kleybo, Mars Bars,

Mel-O, Kimmy-Poo, Cibi, JJ, MaKiri, Stubsi, etc, etc

are names the regulars use endearingly. Even the names

that are not endearing convey something about the player,

poster, or an incident that everyone knows.

And when a new poster who has been here for a hot minute

starts trying to dictate what people who have been here

for years can say is whats really annoying.

I didn't know the lingo used when I started But I STFU

and stuck around til I learned.

Chucky? MoMo? Kuzzy? Big D? (Davenport)...:sad::all banned forever:help::eek:

HardCandy
May 27th, 2010, 12:44 AM
What a ridiculous thread.
If you want the results you check the official sites. If you want to know more, then stick around and learn. Make some effort yourself instead of expecting others to do it for you. It's not rocket science.

Midnight_Robber
May 27th, 2010, 12:52 AM
Finally term GOAT, again stolen for Mens Tennis Forum is has become seriously overused and its not funny or clever. Lets remind ourselves of something. GOAT stands for Greatest Of All Time. It was coined on Mens Tennis Forum to refer to Federer.

:haha: Er...no. Absolutely not. The term and its acronym have been existence from some time now and long pre-dates Federer. ;)

I don't think there is anyway of banning posters from using nicknames but when the threads titles full of incomprehensible nicknames to the point of being uninformative, there is always the choice to roundly ignore them. :shrug:

tennisforadults
May 27th, 2010, 02:34 AM
donkey humps pony.

It's all about balance and where to draw the line. JJ, BamBam, Jelly, Kuzzy are affectionate nicknames. Donkey and pony are downright tasteless and disgusting.