PDA

View Full Version : NCAA Singles

barboza
May 25th, 2010, 08:07 PM
Thanks to johnny: http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/mich/sports/w-tennis/auto_pdf/tnw-individual-singles-2010.pdf

Josipa Bek, ranked 17th gets to play a 9-16 seed in R1 :lol:

johnnytennis
May 25th, 2010, 08:18 PM
Thanks to johnny: http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/mich/sports/w-tennis/auto_pdf/tnw-individual-singles-2010.pdf

Josipa Bek, ranked 17th gets to play a 9-16 seed in R1 :lol:

Thats why I am curious how these draws are put together. Why would a No. 17 ranked player play No. 16 ranked player when there are 64 players in the draw?

UFGatorFan
May 25th, 2010, 11:33 PM
After the 16 seeds, no one is protected. It is why the pro tours went to 32 seeds. To avoid garbage like this. That is shameful and I know it's a random draw, but that's pathetic.

BTW, Broosova, ranked 5th, plays #22 McCreless in the 1st round. That's pretty bad, too.

mboyle
May 26th, 2010, 02:33 AM
I have no idea who will win this. Of course, everyone on this website will pick college GOAT Juricova ;) , but I'm not convinced. I'm just hoping that one of the Duke girls makes the R16. I think Ellah has a chance. Her draw is manageable. Reka is pretty tough to beat, but she'd have to get past Broosova, presumably.

johnnytennis
May 26th, 2010, 03:05 AM
After the 16 seeds, no one is protected. It is why the pro tours went to 32 seeds. To avoid garbage like this. That is shameful and I know it's a random draw, but that's pathetic.

BTW, Broosova, ranked 5th, plays #22 McCreless in the 1st round. That's pretty bad, too.

The NCAA should be ashamed of themselves for putting these ridiculous draws together.
Why not do the logical thing like putting the No. 1 player against No. 64 player and in doubles No. 1 against No. 32. and so on. This is why I have a hard time following anything the NCAA is in charge of!

T2000
May 26th, 2010, 03:54 AM
Seeding thoughts, Friend at Court explains it this way.

Placing is prohibited. Placing occurs, for example, when the Com-
mittee in a 16-draw tournament seeds four and “places” four. The
practice of placing is an attempt to hide the fact that in reality eight
players have been seeded instead of the permissible maximum of
four. The rule of “one in three” was established to provide some
matches between strong players in the first round, to increase the
variety of a player’s opponents, and to get away from the “strong-
weak-strong-weak” pattern in the draw, thereby giving players who
are usually first-round losers an occasional opportunity to meet each
other and advance to the second or third round.

Tenniswish
May 26th, 2010, 04:08 AM

True the pros went to 32 seeds in the Grand Slams, but that is in a 128 draw which means they are still keeping to the one seed per four players which is the common, if not written, rule.

barboza
May 26th, 2010, 10:31 AM
The draw is kind of stupid, with only players seeded 1-8 distributed individually on the draw. Players seeded 9-16 are grouped as a "9-16" seed, so a player seeded 9th has an equal chance of meeting a player outside top 16 in R1 as a player seeded 16th. Players not in top 16 are just 'out of luck' on paper for early rounds.

Some more notes, since my team prediction was correct ;) Duke won't be strong enough to get far in the draw given their subpar performance this season. UF and Cal girls will be poised to do well given their upsets in the respective rounds they lost. I do not see a Card winning this title.

IMPOSSIBLE
May 26th, 2010, 12:52 PM
Go Mari Andersson.

barboza
May 26th, 2010, 06:36 PM
Is Mari Andersson of Asian origin?

10sE
May 26th, 2010, 08:21 PM
Is Michael Chang of Asian origin?

IMPOSSIBLE
May 26th, 2010, 09:07 PM
Is Mari Andersson of Asian origin?

Korea I think :wavey:

johnnytennis
May 26th, 2010, 11:13 PM
Why arent we seeing scores of the matches updated faster! It's not that hard to post them online right after they're over!

mboyle
May 27th, 2010, 12:07 AM
Some more notes, since my team prediction was correct ;) Duke won't be strong enough to get far in the draw given their subpar performance this season. UF and Cal girls will be poised to do well given their upsets in the respective rounds they lost. I do not see a Card winning this title.

Lol subpar performance? We were 5 points away from the national semi-final man! That's not terrible. Did we underperform? Yes, but we were still pretty clearly a top five or six team, in my book at least.

I think Ellah has a really good look at the R16. I would be happy with one all American. And Duke will be a force next year, don't you worry. ;)

UFGatorFan
May 27th, 2010, 01:06 AM
Embree played so well in singles the NCAA tournament and then looked dead out there today against Anderson.

SakiBomb25
May 27th, 2010, 01:11 AM
Embree played so well in singles the NCAA tournament and then looked dead out there today against Anderson.

That's a shocker. I think she must have had an emotional let-down after yesterday's exhausting match. I really thought Embree and Will would get far in the tournament (well, at least Will still has a chance...).

barboza
May 27th, 2010, 01:21 AM
Duke was only able to go far with Cecil.. too bad she won't be coming back ;) The Stanford domination is back instead, and I love it.

barboza
May 27th, 2010, 01:23 AM
Is this Sakibomb from volleytalk? And yeah.. Anderson is good.

fantic
May 27th, 2010, 05:33 AM
Korea I think :wavey:

yeah, a lot? of Koreans got adopted to Sweden in the 50s or something.

Or not :lol: