PDA

View Full Version : Interview by Bartoli "I envy no-one"

fangoria
May 25th, 2010, 06:53 PM
http://www.lequipe.fr/Tennis/breves2010/20100525_193948_bartoli-je-n-envie-personne.html

"I envy no-one"

[...]

There's been a lot of media coverage about Aravane Rezai lately. You've been asked about her after your match. Do you think people forget you are the french number 1 player?
I couldn't care less.

You were a semifinalist in Miami playing very well. Do you come here with a lot of ambition?
There is no ambition. The player with ambition, you already mentionned her, me, I don't need to have any ambition.

You did not have the same results as her on clay.
You do what you want, but sincerely, when I do a semi in Miami, I have the feeling it goes completely unnoticed. But you do as you want, that's not my problem. [...]

At the begining of the year, you put a lot of hope on the claycourt season, et mostly, on Roland Garros.
Each year is the same! I'm not going to arrive here and tell myself "i don't play that well on clay, so i'm gonna lose on the first round"! It's not logical. Of course I try, i have goals to reach when the year begins, being french, evenmore in a Grand Slam in Paris, i don't see why i should have no ambition in Roland Garros [...]

This year, the french women started pretty badly.
Oh, not again! So?

You have nothing to say on the topic?
No, but you are a bit hard on us globaly, because we all try to do our best. [...] But sometimes you get a draw like Alizée against Pavlyuchenkova, who is a really good player. It seems unlikely that all the french get to the fourth round or the quarters.

I tried to translate it the best i could, in the french version you can really feel the tension...

That said, I think she's right, the french medias are terrible with the local players (overexpectating, merciless when they lose, or overforgiving depending on which player we're talking about).

Ferg
May 25th, 2010, 06:54 PM
Really, ANOTHER thread on Marion's quotes?! :weirdo:

Shes right about the media being too hard on them though.

Noctis
May 25th, 2010, 06:55 PM
Your dad is upset now

Kipling
May 25th, 2010, 06:59 PM
You were a semifinalist in Miami playing very well. Do you come here with a lot of ambition?[/B]
There is no ambition. The player with ambition, you already mentionned her, me, I don't need to have any ambition.

That's a weird thing to say. I know what the intention was, but to say she herself has "no ambition" in her home slam is just strange.

Seems like she just got pissed with the reporter and decided to clam up. Can't blame her--they can ask some really dumb questions.

fouc
May 25th, 2010, 07:01 PM
is it for real? sounds so bitter, almost brutal.

edificio
The second comment makes no sense.

Marion seems a little defensive, but I can understand: same old questions and some additional ones trying to get a rise out of players. It gets old for them, I'm sure.

Bijoux0021
You did not have the same results as her on clay.

So what? She should have said to that reporter, 'F.U.'

Gdsimmons
May 25th, 2010, 07:03 PM
Someone sounds a little bitter

Ferg
May 25th, 2010, 07:03 PM

So what, she should start being BFFs with all the journalists who she hasnt gotten on with for years who are clearly trying to get a rise out of her with stupid questions?

slamchamp
May 25th, 2010, 07:07 PM
I looove when marion sounds bitter..oh Cakey:hearts:

ptitnavet
May 25th, 2010, 07:11 PM
I don't really like her but if you really understand what she wants to say I think she is right !

stangtennis
May 25th, 2010, 07:22 PM
Do you come here with a lot of ambition?
There is no ambition.

...i don't see why i should have no ambition in Roland Garros
Make up your mind Bartoli, you are contradicting yourself.
Do you have ambitions or not at Roland Garros?

Bijoux0021
May 25th, 2010, 07:27 PM
I don't think she's bitter. She's probably sick and tired of answering questions about Rezai's Clay results. Good for her she won a Clay tournament. Why do those stupid journalists have to keep shoving it down Marion's throat? I would be pissed, too.

DimaDinosaur
May 25th, 2010, 07:29 PM
Marion's answer to every question should be: STFU! Next question, please?

envisiond2010
May 25th, 2010, 07:33 PM
Marion's answer to every question should be: STFU! Next question, please?

I agree.

NA-GOAT
May 25th, 2010, 07:34 PM
Marion :spit:

Marion :boxing: Aravene

tonybotz
May 25th, 2010, 07:36 PM
sounds like the french journalists are as annoying as the french crowd.

timafi
May 25th, 2010, 07:37 PM
sounds like the french journalists are as annoying as the french crowd.

this just a sample of what Amelie and Seb had to endure for years :mad:

Reptilia
May 25th, 2010, 07:41 PM
lol i love how bitchy marion gets.
What shes saying is true though

Sergius
May 25th, 2010, 07:51 PM
You were a semifinalist in Miami playing very well. Do you come here with a lot of ambition?

Well, I like Marion being bitchy, the French press seems to be rather annoying, overexpectating, but the underlined statement is classless enough, I think.

AndreConrad
May 25th, 2010, 07:53 PM
The interviewer(s?) don't focus on tennis at all; just playing on strained relationships. Typical media :shrug:

Kipling
May 25th, 2010, 07:59 PM
The interviewer(s?) don't focus on tennis at all; just playing on strained relationships. Typical media :shrug:

I agree. Trying to manufacture a story where there is none.

el_conquistador
May 25th, 2010, 08:05 PM
i think she should envy pennetta and ivanovic for their good looks.

A-Bond
May 25th, 2010, 08:08 PM
:hearts::hearts: She thinks Pavlyuchenkova is a good player :):worship: That gives points in my ranking, Marion :D But yeah I mean you were only able to beat her in Tokyo with 10 medical timeouts, therefore the opposite would be surprising.

LightWarrior
May 25th, 2010, 08:25 PM
The second comment makes no sense.

It makes sense if you realize that she's being cynical and full of irony.

thrust
May 25th, 2010, 08:29 PM
Marion sounds like a bitter, unhappy, immature young woman.

Diam's
May 25th, 2010, 08:38 PM
She sounds upset which is no surprise since she has been saying from some time now that she can't stand the French media.

HeninFan_2008
May 25th, 2010, 08:46 PM
My god these interviewers are all super-retarded if you ask me. All the talent goes into the news area.

Vaidisova Ruled
May 25th, 2010, 08:48 PM
Someone sounds a little bitter
No she's a smart girl and knows that journalist can say really stupid things. She is just giving a lesson to them.

stangtennis
May 25th, 2010, 10:51 PM
I agree. Trying to manufacture a story where there is none.

The way she answers these question she just helps creating a story.

Kipling
May 25th, 2010, 11:11 PM
The way she answers these question she just helps creating a story.

Well, that's true. There's probably more tactful ways of answering, but you really can't blame the players for being a little cynical in that situation. What I don't like is the way answers are totally taken out of context and then mischaracterized to create bad blood, or make a player look bad.

duhcity
May 25th, 2010, 11:16 PM
Please. No one trumps the British at Wimbledon

Q. This is not an accusation, but do you feel as though you’ve let a few people down today?

ANNE KEOTHAVONG: I feel like I’ve let myself down more than anything. You know, Wimbledon is such a special tournament to me. And, you know, this year especially, I just felt, you know, I’ve overcome so much just to get where I am (tearing up.)

Q. Did you put more pressure on yourself, do you think?

THE MODERATOR: Can we stop for a few minutes.

(Pause in interview.)

ANNE KEOTHAVONG: Sorry.
(2 questions later...)

Q. The way the Brits are going out today, it’s shaping up to be a pretty dark day for British tennis at Wimbledon. Do you feel sort of a collective responsibility, or are you solely focused on your own results?

ANNE KEOTHAVONG: You know, I can’t speak for the other girls. I can only focus on my own tennis. You know, that’s hard enough as it is.

You know, the other girls, I’m sure, have tried their hardest. You can’t guarantee the results at the end of the day, but I think you can definitely guarantee that all the British girls have tried, you know, 110%.

NoChokes
May 25th, 2010, 11:48 PM
I bet she envies Mrs Kipling.

ElusiveChanteuse
May 25th, 2010, 11:53 PM

At the begining of the year, you put a lot of hope on the claycourt season, et mostly, on Roland Garros.
Each year is the same! I'm not going to arrive here and tell myself "i don't play that well on clay, so i'm gonna lose on the first round"! It's not logical. Of course I try, i have goals to reach when the year begins, being french, evenmore in a Grand Slam in Paris, i don't see why i should have no ambition in Roland Garros [...]

:confused:

edificio
May 26th, 2010, 12:48 AM
Well, that's true. There's probably more tactful ways of answering, but you really can't blame the players for being a little cynical in that situation. What I don't like is the way answers are totally taken out of context and then mischaracterized to create bad blood, or make a player look bad.

Yeah, I hate when they do that. But they do it ALL THE TIME. I wish some players would not take the bait. Though I still laugh at Davenport's remark about Kournikova saying she was still the better player even though she lost: She can say whatever she wants; I'm in the next round, and she's in the hotel packing her bag.

Dominic
May 26th, 2010, 02:06 AM
That's strange cause if I were her, I think I'd envy pretty much everybody.

shap_half
May 26th, 2010, 04:55 AM
Not even the baker, Marion?

Midnight_Robber
May 26th, 2010, 07:27 AM
Ugh. They're trying to pit these two players against each other and it's so obvious that no wonder she's irritated and terse. Those questions are pointed and leading. :rolleyes:

Jajaloo
May 26th, 2010, 07:31 AM
Her quotables are delicious.

Beat
May 26th, 2010, 08:17 AM

that's true, but then the questions sound teasingly provocative, so of course bartoli reacts like that.

Ferg
May 26th, 2010, 10:17 AM
That's strange cause if I were her, I think I'd envy pretty much everybody.

lol, shes richer and more succesful then you'll ever be. I wonder how many people you envy. Easy for you to mock her as usual from behind your computer screen, troll.

Lighter
May 26th, 2010, 10:27 AM
Just see her face here and you'll understand what she thinks about some journalists : http://www.rolandgarros.com/fr_FR/multimedia/index.html

I love when yesterday she answered to Nelson Montfort "you follow my run here, i hope you to follow my run on grass in Wimbledon". very ironic.

Olórin
May 26th, 2010, 10:30 AM
lol, shes richer and more succesful then you'll ever be. I wonder how many people you envy. Easy for you to mock her as usual from behind your computer screen, troll.

I agree there are too many people in this thread mocking and making crude jokes. It's not hard to see what the media is trying to do - Marion dealt with it as well as many people would.

Dominic
May 26th, 2010, 03:09 PM

Lol take your pills honey, I was joking.

Dave.
May 26th, 2010, 03:11 PM
That's a weird thing to say. I know what the intention was, but to say she herself has "no ambition" in her home slam is just strange.

Seems like she just got pissed with the reporter and decided to clam up. Can't blame her--they can ask some really dumb questions.

It's a translation. I took "no ambition" to mean no expectations. Which, given her year and record on clay, is perfectly understandable.

:worship:

Ferg
May 26th, 2010, 03:13 PM
Lol take your pills honey, I was joking.

Maybe try to be funny next time instead of sounding ridiculously bitter?

Dominic
May 26th, 2010, 03:17 PM
Maybe try to be funny next time instead of sounding ridiculously bitter?

Well I actually got a couple good reps about that comment dude so I think you need to take that pole out of your ass and stop dramatizing :) If you dont like my comments, just ignore them.

Ferg
May 26th, 2010, 03:21 PM
Well I actually got a couple good reps about that comment dude so I think you need to take that pole out of your ass and stop dramatizing :) If you dont like my comments, just ignore them.

Well maybe if you dont like Marion you should just ignore her? :shrug: Good reps from equally desperate people no doubt.

rockstar
May 26th, 2010, 03:22 PM
she envies all the girls with nike contracts, she ain't fooling nobody

VishaalMaria
May 26th, 2010, 03:41 PM
http://www.lequipe.fr/Tennis/breves2010/20100525_193948_bartoli-je-n-envie-personne.html

"I envy no-one"

[...]

There's been a lot of media coverage about Aravane Rezai lately. You've been asked about her after your match. Do you think people forget you are the french number 1 player?
I couldn't care less.

:lol::lol::lol:

:worship::worship::worship:

shap_half
May 26th, 2010, 03:44 PM
I agree there are too many people in this thread mocking and making crude jokes. It's not hard to see what the media is trying to do - Marion dealt with it as well as many people would.

It wasn't a cheap shot. It was a joke. Lighten up.

The way people are going on in this thread you'd think this is the first time a player has been given a hard time before.

Dominic
May 26th, 2010, 05:25 PM
Well maybe if you dont like Marion you should just ignore her? :shrug: Good reps from equally desperate people no doubt.

How are we desperate, cause we dont like your fave :lol: ok honey.

Olórin
May 26th, 2010, 05:27 PM
It wasn't a cheap shot. It was a joke. Lighten up.

The way people are going on in this thread you'd think this is the first time a player has been given a hard time before.

Jokes aren't that funny when they're repeated on easy targets over and over....it's boring :shrug:

I am not a Bartoli-fan but I do empathise when she makes comments in interviews which are taken out of context and then gets derided for it.

Ferg
May 26th, 2010, 05:27 PM
How are we desperate, cause we dont like your fave :lol: ok honey.

Like I said, take your own advice, dont like Bartoli, then ignore her.

Dominic
May 26th, 2010, 10:05 PM
Like I said, take your own advice, dont like Bartoli, then ignore her.

Well I'm sorry to tell you that, but that's not how internet forums work, you just need to relax a bit.