View Full Version : The biggest R1 upset

kaktusino
May 25th, 2010, 06:41 PM
Akgul Amanmuradova UZB d. Maria Jose Martinez Sanchez ESP (20) 62 64

Gisela Dulko ARG d. Victoria Azarenka BLR (10) 61 62

Kimiko Date Krumm JPN d. Dinara Safina RUS (9) 36 64 75

edificio
May 25th, 2010, 06:42 PM
Maybe Dinara, but I figured Date-Krumm would play Dinara tough.

However, MJMS was, I guess, injured.

Aaric
May 25th, 2010, 06:42 PM
Both three are injured, or coming from an injury so I wouldnt really consider them big upsets.
Pick Dinara

Talula
May 25th, 2010, 06:48 PM
1st round losses for 'big' players are not as shocking as one might think. A player like everyone else has bad days, is unwell, feels down, injured etc. It happens. Graf and Hingis at Wimbledon spring to mind. Both bounced back - Graf more so than Hingis, but Martina still did well. It happens and I hope Safina and Azarenka put this down to 'life' and bounce back.

Ramos
May 25th, 2010, 06:50 PM
Three seeds eliminated in the first round out of 32, pretty reasonable all things considered. Last year there were more.

Akgul vs MJMS on clay would have been a big upset if it wasn't for the circumstances.

Mrs. Dimitrova
May 25th, 2010, 06:50 PM
Victoria and Dinara's loss were not surprising to me at all. MJMS's was. :lol:

goldenlox
May 25th, 2010, 06:51 PM
I didn't know MJ was injured. That was a key to that one.
Vika and Dinara werent winning any matches this clay season.

Aravanecaravan
May 25th, 2010, 06:54 PM
MJMS was a shocker. The others were foreseeable.

friendsita
May 25th, 2010, 06:56 PM
Date df. Safina

Wiggly
May 25th, 2010, 06:58 PM
Amanmuradova. That was shocking, even with MJMS injury.

Azarenka has been slumping/injuried for half a season and Safina is pushing like a mediocre club player.

osseous
May 25th, 2010, 07:00 PM
I picked Dinara. :hysteric:

StephenUK
May 25th, 2010, 07:01 PM
Maria Jose was the biggest shock but she was injured. The one I can't understand is Sevastova losing to Johanna Larsson!

miffedmax
May 25th, 2010, 07:02 PM
The way Lena's been playing, Martic was the biggest upset.

SAISAI-GOAT
May 25th, 2010, 07:06 PM
The way Lena's been playing, Martic was the biggest upset.

:spit:

Akgul d MJMS was biggest upset but Kimiko d Dinara was best to watch ;)

John.
May 25th, 2010, 07:07 PM
Dinara's loss.Yes she's been injured and lacked match practice,but I would have expected her to beat a 39 year old who was struggling to move

VIKA?
May 25th, 2010, 07:08 PM
Probably Vika:shrug: I mean everyone knew that Dinara was going out against Kimiko and Maria played injured so expected then.

gmak
May 25th, 2010, 07:10 PM
all 3 were either injured or slumping so :shrug:

even then, i thought Dinara would at least make 3R, so i pick her

Keegan
May 25th, 2010, 07:11 PM
I was relatively surprised by the extent of Vika's loss.

Jienus
May 25th, 2010, 07:12 PM
Azarenka and Safina were predictable.

MJMS was a shock, despite the injury.

spencercarlos
May 25th, 2010, 07:22 PM
I expected Date to beat Safina, she is a grinder and has inmense heart. Safina had a lot of points to defend IMO, lots of pressure, coming back from injury and 1-3 in clay court matches going in... all ingredients for the upset..

I bet no one saw MJMS losing in round one, even with an injury against Akgul..

Monzanator
May 25th, 2010, 07:30 PM
Actually I think Sevastova getting bashed by Larsson is the biggest one taking all the injuries and slumps aside. I mean she won Estoril and then gets whooped by a girl ranked some 70 places below her who's not even a clay speciallist :shrug:

Safina and Azarenka are still playing on some borrowed health and MJMS got injured, so was destined for a defeat. Date-Krumm is clearly the most amazing story in R1, but Sevastova's loss is still a pure shocker for me....

tonybotz
May 25th, 2010, 07:45 PM
how was MJS a shocker to anyone?! the girl had one hot week and everyone is shocked she lost? i never even heard of her until Rome. sometimes the logic on this board leaves me shaking my head..

Ramos
May 25th, 2010, 07:50 PM
how was MJS a shocker to anyone?! the girl had one hot week and everyone is shocked she lost? i never even heard of her until Rome. sometimes the logic on this board leaves me shaking my head.. You have to take the opponent in consideration too.

Shvedbarilescu
May 25th, 2010, 08:51 PM
how was MJS a shocker to anyone?! the girl had one hot week and everyone is shocked she lost? i never even heard of her until Rome. sometimes the logic on this board leaves me shaking my head..

Err...she has been top 30 for the last six months. Prior to Rome she had won a couple of smaller tournaments too defeating Wozniacki in the final of one of them. She also has had wins over Azarenka, Radwanska, Stosur and Petrova in the past year. You hadn't heard of her prior to Rome? You obviously don't follow tennis very closely then. :shrug:

SoClose
May 25th, 2010, 08:57 PM
Kimiko def Safina.

Jienus
May 25th, 2010, 09:01 PM

That's not true, she has been making noise for quite some time now. The Rome title was the tip of the iceberg.

young_gunner913
May 25th, 2010, 09:15 PM
Injured Kimiko knocking out injured Safina.

gmokb
May 25th, 2010, 09:16 PM
You guys got to be kidding, hands down it's Safina.

aisha
May 25th, 2010, 10:24 PM
Safina. I expected her to win a couple of rounds. :shrug:
And she was leading in all three sets. :o

tennisforadults
May 26th, 2010, 01:32 AM
Safina. She was leading in all 3 sets, and Kimiko could barely move in the 3rd set. She was a finalist last year, and was expected to play much better (since she repeatedly said her back was holding up in interviews).

BlackPanther.
May 26th, 2010, 01:38 AM
Safina. She was leading in all 3 sets, and Kimiko could barely move in the 3rd set. She was a finalist last year, and was expected to play much better (since she repeatedly said her back was holding up in interviews).

This.
Kimiko barely move in court, Dinara did the Kimiko's job :shrug:

austennis
May 26th, 2010, 02:06 AM
Hmmm MJMS was a surprise only in the sense that she should have won a few rounds - but the injury explains her loss.
Vika - imo she has been over performing for much of the past 12-16months and has been ranked higher than she deserves, so this might bring her back to the 12-18 range she belongs in. Also Dulko would be hard for anyone..
Safina - tried for too much too soon it seems.

Overall Safina, surprised me the most and i wish for her sake she had done better, but at least she has plenty of time to prepare for Wimbledon

Randy H
May 26th, 2010, 02:16 AM
Ferguson def. Kvitova :shrug:

Petra's had a pretty solid year, no real poor losses this season, had a few wins on clay including an upset over Zvonareva. Ferguson, although having found a bit of form more recently at challenger level and a 2nd round at Charleston (albeit with an absolute gift of a draw), really hadn't done much to suggest she would knock off Kvitova. Heck, I thought she had already done extremely well for herself just to reach the main draw, especially given her poor record in the slams. Definitely the most unexpected victory for me in the first round, even if there wasn't a seeded player involved.

Midnight_Robber
May 26th, 2010, 02:16 AM
Safina - not because it was a total 'shock' given her injury, but because she is the biggest name and highest ranked casualty to have fallen in the first round and it matters because she was the runner up last year.

No matter what people may think of Safina's game (it doesn't appeal to me personally) she made it work, and this time last year, no way she would have been bundled out in the first round of a slam. No way. So - she gets my vote.

ozfan44
May 26th, 2010, 06:58 AM
Maria Jose was the biggest shock but she was injured. The one I can't understand is Sevastova losing to Johanna Larsson!

Actually I think Sevastova getting bashed by Larsson is the biggest one taking all the injuries and slumps aside. I mean she won Estoril and then gets whooped by a girl ranked some 70 places below her who's not even a clay speciallist :shrug:

Safina and Azarenka are still playing on some borrowed health and MJMS got injured, so was destined for a defeat. Date-Krumm is clearly the most amazing story in R1, but Sevastova's loss is still a pure shocker for me....

Agreed with both of you....I thought Sevastova would cruise through that match!! :tape:

Sexysova
May 26th, 2010, 07:12 AM
definitely Kimiko considering MJMS was injured..

Caralenko
May 26th, 2010, 07:15 AM
Victoria and Dinara's loss were not surprising to me at all. MJMS's was. :lol:

I agree :lol: Also, Kimiko and Gisela are IMO more formidable opponents than Akgul, especially on clay and don't forget MJMS was coming off a big clay title. So that was the most surprising.
definitely Kimiko considering MJMS was injured..

Cause Vika and Dinara are 100% :spit:

burn
May 26th, 2010, 07:20 AM
Kimiko was the biggest one :sad:

Pops Maellard
May 26th, 2010, 08:09 AM
MJMS. I kind of thought Dinara would lose anyway, but I never thought MJMS would lose first round...

Hayato
May 26th, 2010, 08:11 AM
Dinara, because she lead 5-0 in the first set, 3-1 in the second, and 4-1 in the third, and still couldn't close it out.