PDA

View Full Version : French Crowd Booed Safina? Not So Nice If TRue

tennisbum79
May 25th, 2010, 06:18 PM
MJF on EPSN reported that the crowd booed Safina when she was leaving the court, anybody else see it?

If it is true, that was uncalled for..

WowWow
May 25th, 2010, 06:19 PM
Why would they boo her? :confused:

Aaric
May 25th, 2010, 06:20 PM
I wouldnt be surprised, they boo everyone :shrug: It´s normal out there

edificio
May 25th, 2010, 06:24 PM
Par for the course.

But...did they really? I'm sure Safina wanted to win.

Patrick345
May 25th, 2010, 06:25 PM
They are confused. Going down with a fight is an stupid concept to them. The only injury they ever suffer is a shoulder injury from vigorously waving the white flag. :help:

Cakeisgood
May 25th, 2010, 06:25 PM
Probably for those horrid final games. The French attendees don't take kindly to what appears to be tanking.

John.
May 25th, 2010, 06:26 PM
Welcome to Roland Garros

2moretogo
May 25th, 2010, 06:26 PM

Sad, but true.

Tennisstar86
May 25th, 2010, 06:29 PM
Why should she get special treatment...Everyone else has been boo'd

osseous
May 25th, 2010, 06:30 PM
Why would they boo her? :confused:

+1 :shrug:

Noctis
May 25th, 2010, 06:31 PM
I boo her myself when she start come on on errors.

Vaidisova Ruled
May 25th, 2010, 06:32 PM
They used to boo Maria a lot, but somehow they like her now.

AnnaK_4ever
May 25th, 2010, 06:32 PM

This.

They boo'ed a couple of umpires who overruled terribly wrong line calls today and they just boo'ed Hewitt after he dared to question Chardy' serve that was out by miles.
The worst crowd in Europe (and that's including clueless Russian fans).

Serenita
May 25th, 2010, 06:33 PM

For once we agree:o

They do have an awfull reputation, they boo anyone at any given time. They even started booing Pova because she was challenging a call...:help::help:

Mrs. Dimitrova
May 25th, 2010, 06:33 PM
They keep booing everyone who questions ball marks and line calls. :spit:

danieln1
May 25th, 2010, 06:34 PM
This.

They boo'ed a couple of umpires who overruled terribly wrong line calls today and they just boo'ed Hewitt after he dared to question Chardy' serve that was out by miles.
The worst crowd in Europe (and that's including clueless Russian fans).

In the world... they´re the most classless ever, and in France, that´s even worse...

It´s disgusting to see, they even booed Dinara because she wanted a ball from a ballboy that was out of position, they´re ridiculous

Vaidisova Ruled
May 25th, 2010, 06:35 PM
I never understand if they boo the player or the judge
Anyway, we shouldn't try to understand them, because usually, people go there to have fun, and if you are sitting and the whole crowd is booing, it is entertaining for them. No one should take them seriously.

Shafanovic.
don't they boo everyone? :confused:

edificio

This is perhaps the most annoying aspect of their booing.

I never understand if they boo the player or the judge
Anyway, we shouldn't try to understand them, because usually, people go there to have fun, and if you are sitting and the whole crowd is booing, it is entertaining for them. No one should take them seriously.

But sometimes the player being booed gets intimidated.

Aaric
May 25th, 2010, 06:37 PM

Even worse, they "almost" booed Ksenia today when she went to change her racquet.. :spit:

ptitnavet
May 25th, 2010, 06:39 PM

I never get that :confused:

Elwin.
May 25th, 2010, 06:39 PM
Not surprising.
The French crowd is Classless.

Serenita
May 25th, 2010, 06:41 PM
Even worse, they "almost" booed Ksenia today when she went to change her racquet.. :spit:

:spit: Now thats low! they are the worse tennis crowd out there. I'm no Hingis fan but the way they treated her that match was disgraceful. And it seems since then it only got worse. :o:o:o

osseous
May 25th, 2010, 06:42 PM

Only for that? :spit:

Aaric
May 25th, 2010, 06:44 PM
;17830523']Only for that? :spit:

They only explanation I find for it is that they thought she was gonna challenge a ball mark (which again :spit:)
Anyways it was just a few people and they stopped quickly

itzhak
May 25th, 2010, 06:46 PM
Boo in the Roland garros is compliment and as certain player said once "Allez up in your fucking face"...

Danči Dementia
May 25th, 2010, 06:48 PM
Allez up your fucking ass ;)

osseous
May 25th, 2010, 06:48 PM
They only explanation I find for it is that they thought she was gonna challenge a ball mark (which again :spit:)
Anyways it was just a few people and they stopped quickly

LOL! :rolls: That's disrespectful.

Serenita
May 25th, 2010, 06:55 PM
Allez up your fucking ass ;)
:lol:

Gdsimmons
May 25th, 2010, 07:07 PM
Its the French crowd. They boo for the most ridiculous of reasons. Really you shouldn't boo at a tennis match, but hey its the french

dybbuk
May 25th, 2010, 07:10 PM
Ah, Francophobia. It must be springtime.

Caillou
May 25th, 2010, 07:11 PM
Amen to what everyone is saying in this thread. I wish I was there and I would yell so loudly to counter them and defend whoever they are booing at. What idiotic fans, and it happens year after year. Perhaps, at the beginning of the matches, the umpire should inform them of when an appropriate time to boo is (aka. not very often). Come to think of it, all of the incidents that happen at the french, hingis/steffi, serena/henin to name a couple, have been exacerbated by the crowd.

gmak
May 25th, 2010, 07:15 PM
hardly surprising :rolleyes:

always been classless, not gonna change now :shrug:

Sander.
May 25th, 2010, 07:20 PM

True, it also happened with Murray yesterday.

Keegan
May 25th, 2010, 07:22 PM
They even boo their fellow fans.

Yonexforever
May 25th, 2010, 07:28 PM
THey are a classless lot!
Especially from a country known to suffer from "surrender-itis"!

Bijoux0021
May 25th, 2010, 07:31 PM
I will never understand why the French crowds are so ignorant. :confused:

AnnaK_4ever
May 25th, 2010, 07:31 PM
Ah, Francophobia. It must be springtime.

What "phobia"? Who's afraid of the French? :scratch:

Keegan
May 25th, 2010, 07:34 PM
What "phobia"? Who's afraid of the French? :scratch:

It's a form of hatred as opposed to a phobia.

msharafan
May 25th, 2010, 07:36 PM
Poor Dinara if it is true im sure she felt bad enough as it is :(

AnnaK_4ever
May 25th, 2010, 07:40 PM
It's a form of hatred as opposed to a phobia.

This has nothing to do with hatred either. Repeatedly pointing out that repeatedly booing somebody who's done nothing wrong is classless is not a hatred.

dybbuk
May 25th, 2010, 07:41 PM
This has nothing to do with hatred either. Repeatedly pointing out that repeatedly booing somebody who's done nothing wrong is classless is not a hatred.

What's about the French stereotypes being brought in here? What does France's political history have to do with its tennis crowds?

Aaric
May 25th, 2010, 07:42 PM
What's about the French stereotypes being brought in here? What does France's political history have to do with its tennis crowds?

Omg you really have no clue what you are talking about
Nobody is hating on anyone :weirdo:

tonybotz
May 25th, 2010, 07:43 PM
They are confused. Going down with a fight is an stupid concept to them. The only injury they ever suffer is a shoulder injury from vigorously waving the white flag. :help:

haha nice. if anyone knows how quickly a frenchman folds, it's a german! :lol:

Gdsimmons
May 25th, 2010, 07:44 PM
They have no class. Its ok to cheer for your own. But to boo someone else for playing good or challenging a call is just unbelievable.

dybbuk
May 25th, 2010, 07:45 PM
Omg you really have no clue what you are talking about
Nobody is hating on anyone :weirdo:

Good golly, if you can't see how bringing in wars and other parts of France's history have nothing to do with not liking a certain crowd or not. :help:

The Rome crowd is quite awful as well. I remember just this year alone them cheering double faults in the Gulbis-Federer match. I don't throw around Italian stereotypes because I don't like their tennis crowd.

el_conquistador
May 25th, 2010, 07:46 PM
Safina should immediately retire and spare herself (and her fans) further humilition.

AnnaK_4ever
May 25th, 2010, 07:48 PM

This is called sarcasm, joking and it's not like it's unwarranted anyway.

dybbuk
May 25th, 2010, 07:49 PM
This is called sarcasm, joking and it's not like it's unwarranted anyway.

It happens every year on this board and I was just pointing it out.

AnnaK_4ever
May 25th, 2010, 07:53 PM
It happens every year on this board and I was just pointing it out.

That's because booing happens every year. You know, first there is an action, then comes a reaction.

dybbuk
May 25th, 2010, 07:57 PM
That's because booing happens every year. You know, first there is an action, then comes a reaction.

But like I said, why do we need cultural stereotypes to criticise the actions of a crowd? :confused: I have yet to get a real answer to that. Using stereotypes just makes you seem uneducated. Is it to much to ask that people actually use logic instead of ready-made insults when dealing with people they don't agree with?

duhcity
May 25th, 2010, 08:01 PM
I like Safina, but whatever.
Tennis can only get more exciting and dramatic if the crowd were involved, and that includes booing.

Aaric
May 25th, 2010, 08:01 PM
Good golly, if you can't see how bringing in wars and other parts of France's history have nothing to do with not liking a certain crowd or not. :help:

The Rome crowd is quite awful as well. I remember just this year alone them cheering double faults in the Gulbis-Federer match. I don't throw around Italian stereotypes because I don't like their tennis crowd.

They dont boo the often parisian crowd does at all

Morning Morgan
May 25th, 2010, 08:03 PM
But like I said, why do we need cultural stereotypes to criticise the actions of a crowd? :confused: I have yet to get a real answer to that. Using stereotypes just makes you seem uneducated. Is it to much to ask that people actually use logic instead of ready-made insults when dealing with people they don't agree with?

Well I guess a possible answer to that is people come to the forum more for entertainment than anything. If they wanted to maximize their mental faculties they'll be reading Science magazine or reading Kahn.

And the internet is the perfect place to be a troll...and on some level most people enjoy doing that just because they can't really do that in real life.

Shvedbarilescu
May 25th, 2010, 08:03 PM

This is rich and hypocritical in the extreme coming from you considering your own classless verbal booing of this match.

Matt01
May 25th, 2010, 08:05 PM

Which cultural stereotypes do you mean?

Matt01
May 25th, 2010, 08:07 PM
This is rich and hypocritical in the extreme coming from you considering your own classless verbal booing of this match.

Yeah, after what the poster said, he should applaud the French Crowd for booing Safina. :lol:

Shvedbarilescu
May 25th, 2010, 08:10 PM
Yeah, after what the poster said, he should applaud the French Crowd for booing Safina. :lol:

Exactly. I have no problem with posters complaining about audiences not showing players proper respect but when the poster in question is guilty of the same failings the criticism doesn't carry a lot of weight.

Ramos
May 25th, 2010, 08:13 PM
Which cultural stereotypes do you mean?

I'm guessing he/she means this one ...

... and i think he/she's right, it's not necessary.

Zébulon
May 25th, 2010, 08:14 PM
:rolleyes:

Slutiana
May 25th, 2010, 08:15 PM
Exactly. I have no problem with posters complaining about audiences not showing players proper respect but when the poster in question is guilty of the same failings the criticism doesn't carry a lot of weight.
Well I fully disagreed with what he said in the Safina thread, but in his defence he said something along the lines of "It's classless to boo somebody who has done nothing wrong". In the result thread he seemed to imply that Safina had indeed done something wrong by playing that badly.

Midnight_Robber
May 25th, 2010, 08:16 PM
:rolleyes: At RG crowds. Sounds as if they booed Safina after the match at least (or was it during?) I can't stand it when the start booing when the players are merely appealing to the rules or exercising their standard rights (like challenging a call.) Honestly, they behave like idiots over the slightest thing and the way they get involved in the match is hindrance and interference to me.

It's one thing to be vocal and create an atmosphere but they really over-do it as if they're actively trying to sway the outcome of the matches and rattle players nerves. Too much involvement. The umpires should take a hard line and refuse to commence play and they shut the hell up.

Olórin
May 25th, 2010, 08:17 PM
Ok...so this is different to any other day in RG history, how?

vml
May 25th, 2010, 08:19 PM
OK, guys. Enough, you're so generalizing. I've been to RG a couple of times and I've never booed ANYONE ! And I'm French and a Serena fan. Ok what I'm about to say sounds very elitist, yet true : I come from a very wealthy social background and I have the chance to get VIP passes for a lot of events in France and Paris. So I always have VIP passes for RG. As you might know the VIP areas of the Chatrier and Lenglen are in the lower parts of the stadiums. If you notice well, you'll rarely hear boos from these parts of the stadiums. The people who sit there are invited and they know how to behave themselves. The boos mostly come from the upper parts of the stadiums where the people who sit there mostly come from deep france and dont know/want behave themselves.

PLP
May 25th, 2010, 08:19 PM
Does anyone remember the Hingis/Testud match when the fan starting throwing eggs on the court? :lol:

I love RG but I think the fans in general are a bit distasteful, still, I guess I am used to it. I recognize it but it doesn't bother me like it did 10 years ago.

Zébulon
May 25th, 2010, 08:20 PM
plenty of french tennis fans and folks in general can't stand the booing in RG. paris in not the whole france and even parisians would loathe to see some people booing being made to represent them all

RG booing sucks big time, and if i were a player, i couldn't stand playing there, with my home crowd behind me booing my opponent

but it's hard to stand the kind of comments going on here, some being borderline stupid xenophobia

dynamoRockstarr
May 25th, 2010, 08:23 PM
i think they want the chance to boo someone, but don't really know when...:confused: so they boo anything and everything.

duhcity
May 25th, 2010, 08:24 PM
According to ESPN2, the crowd actually applauded and tried to rev up Safina throughout the match.
So it's not like they just booed her out

vanŁss
May 25th, 2010, 08:27 PM
Can't tell if it's true but it wouldn't surprise me :o i hate french people/crowds , alas i'm from that country :sad:

Diam's
May 25th, 2010, 08:31 PM
Ah the usual French bashing from the usual rawrrrrrr rawrrrrrrr American posters.
The French and the French crowd vous enculent bien profond my dear American keyboard fighteeeeeers raaaaaaawr.

shoparound
May 25th, 2010, 08:32 PM
They don't boo Fed, Ana I, Justine or Kim do they?

Ferg
May 25th, 2010, 08:33 PM
Did they?! I dont remember that.

Shvedbarilescu
May 25th, 2010, 08:34 PM
Well I fully disagreed with what he said in the Safina thread, but in his defence he said something along the lines of "It's classless to boo somebody who has done nothing wrong". In the result thread he seemed to imply that Safina had indeed done something wrong by playing that badly.

But that is exactly my point. So if AnnaK4ever feels Safina has done something that wrong my playing badly, something like you I disagree with, then how can he justify criticising the RG audience for booing Safina when he has essentially been doing the same thing. :shrug:

homogenius
May 25th, 2010, 08:36 PM
She lost on her best surface against 40 y.o Kimiko.It surely doesn't deserve applause.

homogenius
May 25th, 2010, 08:37 PM
Ah the usual French bashing from the usual rawrrrrrr rawrrrrrrr American posters.
The French and the French crowd vous enculent bien profond my dear American keyboard fighteeeeeers raaaaaaawr.

:lol:

new-york
May 25th, 2010, 08:38 PM

Except if you're french.

I'm french myself and i just don't get it. :shrug:

Diam's
May 25th, 2010, 08:40 PM
Except if you're french.

I'm french myself and i just don't get it. :shrug:

Henri Leconte is not French ?
What about Mauresmo ? did not she get booed off the court at least once ?

ptitnavet
May 25th, 2010, 08:42 PM
Can't tell if it's true but it wouldn't surprise me :o i hate french people/crowds , alas i'm from that country :sad:

This.

I don't get French's mentality even if I'm french :confused:
Sometimes I don't really feel french :lol:

serenafann
May 25th, 2010, 08:46 PM
They would boo... Santa Claus. :lol:

Ramos
May 25th, 2010, 08:48 PM

Rightfully so: he sucks on clay.

serenafann
May 25th, 2010, 08:51 PM
Rightfully so: he sucks on clay.

Good one. :lol:

lovemybackhand
May 25th, 2010, 10:12 PM
I LOVE the French crowd. They really know how to keep players in check. Mess with the French at your own peril.

aisha
May 25th, 2010, 10:30 PM
Staying true to form :tape: (If this is a validated claim :o )

Serenita
May 25th, 2010, 10:40 PM
I LOVE the French crowd. They really know how to keep players in check. Mess with the French at your own peril.

:lol: just 2 posts and got his or her ass banned.

young_gunner913
May 25th, 2010, 10:45 PM

:spit:

mykarma
May 25th, 2010, 10:46 PM
I'm guessing he/she means this one ...

... and i think he/she's right, it's not necessary.
this

mykarma
May 25th, 2010, 10:48 PM
OK, guys. Enough, you're so generalizing. I've been to RG a couple of times and I've never booed ANYONE ! And I'm French and a Serena fan. Ok what I'm about to say sounds very elitist, yet true : I come from a very wealthy social background and I have the chance to get VIP passes for a lot of events in France and Paris. So I always have VIP passes for RG. As you might know the VIP areas of the Chatrier and Lenglen are in the lower parts of the stadiums. If you notice well, you'll rarely hear boos from these parts of the stadiums. The people who sit there are invited and they know how to behave themselves. The boos mostly come from the upper parts of the stadiums where the people who sit there mostly come from deep france and dont know/want behave themselves.
Oh my. :o

faboozadoo15
May 25th, 2010, 10:51 PM
This just makes me sad for Safina. She came back WAY too early, played likely the worst match of her life, and got booed off the court.

They could have just been booing the quality-- 100+ errors, less than 50 winners, 25 DF's, Safina 0/3 at the net :tape: :help:

mykarma
May 25th, 2010, 10:52 PM
The Philadelphia Eagles fans threw snowballs at Santa Claus. :tape:

mykarma
May 25th, 2010, 10:53 PM
:lol: just 2 posts and got his or her ass banned.
:lol::lol::lol:

Saralah.
May 25th, 2010, 10:54 PM
Wtf. You say people are generalizing but you do the exact same thing. So what, people who are not wealthy enough to have vip passes are the ones who don't know how to behave? not really. It's just a bunch of morons who think they're ridiculously funny because they "disturb" the players :rolleyes:. I'm sure most of the people coming from "deep France" think they are more than annoying.

duhcity
May 25th, 2010, 11:00 PM
This thread is hilarious.

Anyway, the French crowd has always been known to be extremely expressive and fickle. They didn't boo Mina against Nadal today (because he's french), but my god if Azarenka or Sharapova took a long MTO a set and a break down, the crowd would go wild.

vml
May 25th, 2010, 11:10 PM
Wtf. You say people are generalizing but you do the exact same thing. So what, people who are not wealthy enough to have vip passes are the ones who don't know how to behave? not really. It's just a bunch of morons who think they're ridiculously funny because they "disturb" the players :rolleyes:. I'm sure most of the people coming from "deep France" think they are more than annoying.

ok, read again. I say "rarely" and "mostly".
And I just say that, yes, the ones who've got VIP passes have a better behavior, at least, they mostly do.

tenn_ace
May 25th, 2010, 11:36 PM
:rolls:

:worship::worship::worship:

edificio
May 26th, 2010, 12:53 AM
I just watched the match on Tennis Channel archive stream, and I did not hear any boos. It may have been a few morons. That's universal.

floco
May 26th, 2010, 02:11 AM
To the German poster with the "white flag" comment, 1) FUCK YOU and 2) do YOU really wanna go there??? really???

To the few other (American?) posters who said the French always surrendered, I suggest you read about French history before making this kind of comments - oh and please, something else than the crap they teach you in US schools (trust me, as a teacher from France, teaching in the US, I know what I am talking about), and about something more than WW2. But I always forget... the US are the real heroes of this world, right?

And about the RG booing. I know in America it's not OK to protest, go on strike, say you disagree with a war, and that people are brainwashed since early childhood pledging alleagance to the flag.... and it's OK! But in France, people have an opinion about everything, lack discipline and can be really rude - and trust me, it sometimes annoys the hell out of me. And most of the booing is pretty stupid. But it's a right you have in France. So hate all you want - there are a lot of things I dont like about my native country, and we might not have the greatest champions, but I'm glad we can speak our mind, and disagree if we want, and boo you if we want, even if you didnt deserve it. But I guess it is cultural.
Now, do you complain about the booing when u go to a soccer or basketball game - where people constantly boo the other team, for no other reason than playing against your team?? Are we not allowed to take side for whoever we like and cheer/boo whenever we want?
Oh, and how much do these people make in one match again? Poor babies!!
Isn't sport entertainment?

But if you cant stand it, I suggest you don't watch it, and wait for Wimbledon where the crowd is sooooo much fun.

LeonHart
May 26th, 2010, 02:22 AM
I like the French crowd, other than when they went ballistic on Hingis of course - and the years after the incident :fiery:

Loungy
May 26th, 2010, 02:53 AM
Now, do you complain about the booing when u go to a soccer or basketball game - where people constantly boo the other team, for no other reason than playing against your team?? Are we not allowed to take side for whoever we like and cheer/boo whenever we want?
Not the same when you're taking it all by yourself and people are booing YOU and not the team you're representing. You can't disassociate as easily.

France is lovely. The RG crowd is foul.

Direwolf
May 26th, 2010, 03:17 AM
have they booed the bareness of illusion girl??

Singleniacki
May 26th, 2010, 03:20 AM
She didn't do anything to deserved to be booed :shrug:

She even said well done to Kimiko at the net.

tonybotz
May 26th, 2010, 03:20 AM
safina has officially become the meg griffin of the wta tour...

fufuqifuqishahah
May 26th, 2010, 03:38 AM
In the world... they´re the most classless ever, and in France, that´s even worse...

It´s disgusting to see, they even booed Dinara because she wanted a ball from a ballboy that was out of position, they´re ridiculous

They aren't the most classless in the world, but they are definitely the most classless for a standard tennis nation.

Cakeisgood
May 26th, 2010, 03:52 AM
To the German poster with the "white flag" comment, 1) FUCK YOU and 2) do YOU really wanna go there??? really???

To the few other (American?) posters who said the French always surrendered, I suggest you read about French history before making this kind of comments - oh and please, something else than the crap they teach you in US schools (trust me, as a teacher from France, teaching in the US, I know what I am talking about), and about something more than WW2. But I always forget... the US are the real heroes of this world, right?

And about the RG booing. I know in America it's not OK to protest, go on strike, say you disagree with a war, and that people are brainwashed since early childhood pledging alleagance to the flag.... and it's OK! But in France, people have an opinion about everything, lack discipline and can be really rude - and trust me, it sometimes annoys the hell out of me. And most of the booing is pretty stupid. But it's a right you have in France. So hate all you want - there are a lot of things I dont like about my native country, and we might not have the greatest champions, but I'm glad we can speak our mind, and disagree if we want, and boo you if we want, even if you didnt deserve it. But I guess it is cultural.
Oh, and how much do these people make in one match again? Poor babies!!
Isn't sport entertainment?

But if you cant stand it, I suggest you don't watch it, and wait for Wimbledon where the crowd is sooooo much fun.

Okay, whoa, calm down.

thegreendestiny
May 26th, 2010, 04:21 AM
If they did boo her then I'm very glad they did. Remember when she stole the match from Maria two years ago because the crowd was screwing Maria's head? Well, payback is bitch.

LeonHart
May 26th, 2010, 04:22 AM
If they did boo her then I'm very glad they did. Remember when she stole the match from Maria two years ago because the crowd was screwing Maria's head? Well, payback is bitch.

Are you saying Safina got the crowd riled up against Sharpie? :weirdo:

floco
May 26th, 2010, 04:25 AM
Okay, whoa, calm down.

How do you expect me to calm down after reading these francophobic comments? Its the same shit every year. I do not support some of the RG crowd reactions, but I cant let ignorant people generalize and insult the French people... I'm not even that patriotic to be honest, but this is really getting ridiculous. I just cant stand that kind of stupidity.

HRHoliviasmith
May 26th, 2010, 04:27 AM
they're as tacky as Venus. :rolleyes:

I hope they're nicer to Serena this year :awww:

Dinara :hug:

tennisfan5
May 26th, 2010, 04:31 AM
They're majorly fickle. In '98, they cheered like crazy for Monica during her sentimental run. In '00, in the QF against Mah-ree Pierce, they booed her when she went to get a tissue to blow her nose.:weirdo:

faboozadoo15
May 26th, 2010, 05:05 AM
They're majorly fickle. In '98, they cheered like crazy for Monica during her sentimental run. In '00, in the QF against Mah-ree Pierce, they booed her when she went to get a tissue to blow her nose.:weirdo:

:eek: Don't remember this.

Betten
May 26th, 2010, 07:07 AM
I don't understand why people are so upset with the French crowd. I think it's great that the crowd gets so involved during a game. They really get into a match and aren't afraid to be vocal about something that they perceive as bad play or unsportsmanlike behavior. It's an atmosphere you usually don't get outside of team competitions. Players have to deal with that, in the same way they need to deal with the heat of Australia, the rain delays during Wimbledon and the noise of the US Open.

AnnaK_4ever
May 26th, 2010, 07:20 AM

This time I wasn't referring to Safina at all. I was referring to them booing the umpires and poor Lleyton who actually played a very clean match. :p

Nicolas
May 26th, 2010, 07:22 AM

:eek:

Jajaloo
May 26th, 2010, 07:25 AM
Classless.

....but I love it.

Tennisation
May 26th, 2010, 07:25 AM
Surprisingly they didn't boo Venus for flashing her ass and vajayjay around the court :tape:

Svetlana)))
May 26th, 2010, 07:36 AM
I kind of enjoy the French crowd because it tests the steeliness of a player. Some are just so afraid to challenge calls and stand up for themselves because they are scared of being booed. OTOH, i don't appreciate rudeness and the stuck-up attitudes of them.

Beat
May 26th, 2010, 08:12 AM
the FO could be so great, but i often have to turn off the TV (or at least the sound) because of the unbearable crowd. basically, they're the tennis equivalent of an "internet tough guy": being aggressive and disrespectful from a safe position.

to the french posters who are offended: we are not criticizing your country, just the obnoxious parts of the roland garros crowd.

narutos
May 26th, 2010, 08:24 AM
It's French crowd. They always act like that I remember that Sunday they booed some girl because she wasn't on her chair. But French people don't take this thing seriously I'm French and I know what I'm talking about they're doing this for fun you guys seriously shouldn't focus on this because trust me they sure don't.

Princeza
May 26th, 2010, 08:29 AM

:bigcry:

:haha:

thegreendestiny
May 26th, 2010, 08:54 AM
Are you saying Safina got the crowd riled up against Sharpie? :weirdo:

I'm not saying she did it implicitly. Let's just say she capitalized rather than steal. Now that the wheels have turned against her, I can not really feel bad for her.

Serenita
May 26th, 2010, 09:05 AM
It's French crowd. They always act like that I remember that Sunday they booed some girl because she wasn't on her chair. But French people don't take this thing seriously I'm French and I know what I'm talking about they're doing this for fun you guys seriously shouldn't focus on this because trust me they sure don't.

http://i39.tinypic.com/352n686.jpg

narutos
May 26th, 2010, 09:24 AM
http://i39.tinypic.com/352n686.jpg

:lol: sad but true.

disco_rage
May 26th, 2010, 09:26 AM
haha i love the french crowd and their booing

Rafito.
May 26th, 2010, 09:38 AM
4erlrnIWwWg

Vika provoking the french crowd :inlove:

DOUBLEFIST
May 26th, 2010, 10:01 AM
Why the hell would they boo Safina?

That's just heartless.

fightserena!!!
May 26th, 2010, 11:10 AM
I am obsessed with France and Paris in particular, love the country, the culture, the lifestyle. To be honest, I think the reason tennis crowds there are so classless is BECAUSE the french are so classy. In Australia tennis is a sport for the cucumber sandwich and literature set. In France, the literature set are debating the use of anthropomorphism by Baudelaire. They don't have time to watch people hitting balls...So the equivalent of their rowdy 'footie' crowds end up at the tennis haha.

half joking but still....

claypova
May 26th, 2010, 11:12 AM
Safina should immediately retire and spare herself (and her fans) further humilition.

i reckon you immediately stop posting to spare humiliating yourself.

edificio
May 26th, 2010, 11:20 AM
Ouanna is getting schooled.I hope he doesn't get booed.

Vanity Bonfire
May 26th, 2010, 11:22 AM
The French crowd at RG have absolutely no class when they get going. They really do look quite tasteless when they do it.

I swear I heard a couple of people laughing very loudly when Safina served that double fault in the last game.

The 2nd Law
May 26th, 2010, 12:24 PM
You guys should check out an AFL game sometime, and then you'll hear booing :lol: I know it's much different when you are on your own out there though. I'm not going to even try to understand why they do it, and my reactions to the booing depend on the circumstance. If it's someone like Maria or Vika who don't give a shit and will stand up for themselves I find it hilarious!

Galsen
May 26th, 2010, 12:33 PM

tu m'as tué!!!
:rolls: :haha: :haha:

Jienus
May 26th, 2010, 12:37 PM
Maybe they thought she was a Muslim

ElusiveChanteuse
May 26th, 2010, 12:41 PM

:confused: :cuckoo:
They should boo at Rezai then.:worship:

Nina.
May 26th, 2010, 01:58 PM
I don't understand why people are so upset with the French crowd. I think it's great that the crowd gets so involved during a game. They really get into a match and aren't afraid to be vocal about something that they perceive as bad play or unsportsmanlike behavior. It's an atmosphere you usually don't get outside of team competitions. Players have to deal with that, in the same way they need to deal with the heat of Australia, the rain delays during Wimbledon and the noise of the US Open.

I agree that involvement is in general better than a crowd that sits quiet the whole time. But booing every player who just looks on a mark is just disrespectful.

Zébulon
May 26th, 2010, 01:59 PM

that's some silly comment

Beat
May 26th, 2010, 02:02 PM

:help: that's even more tasteless than the french crowd itself.