PDA

View Full Version : Was Safina's Coach "Fired" Because He Did Not Think...

tennisbum79
May 25th, 2010, 02:16 PM
.. she was ready to come back and Dinara insisted on coming back?

I am asking given Dinara's sub-par performance today where she was far from being healthy, let alone ready.

earthcrystal
May 25th, 2010, 02:17 PM
Dinara's old coach was an asshole. He treated her like crap. I'm glad she finally found a reason to fire him, whatever it is.

tennisbum79
May 25th, 2010, 02:24 PM
Dinara's old coach was an asshole. He treated her like crap. I'm glad she finally found a reason to fire him, whatever it is.
Whow! you did not really like the guy

TheBoiledEgg
May 25th, 2010, 02:25 PM
if only Wozniacki could sack her dad

colt13
May 25th, 2010, 02:26 PM
No. But Krajan gives off an all or nothing vibe, and probably is not supportive enough.

With that said, Safina does look thinner, I don't know if that is good or bad yet. Truth be told, as amazing a comback this was for Date-Krumm, if Safina wins that game she threw away at 4-1, we aren't having this conversation.

Valanga
May 25th, 2010, 02:26 PM
Krajan is the one who made Safina reach no.1 and reach 3 Slam finals. Firing him is just an idiotic decision

azinna
May 25th, 2010, 02:27 PM
The attitude and faces he showed were pretty poor. And I remember him publicly berating her. It seemed to be tough love of some sort -- and it may have been key to her rise -- but the young must grow beyond it to be any kind of healthy.

tennisbum79
May 25th, 2010, 02:32 PM
The attitude and faces he showed were pretty poor. And I remember him publicly berating her. It seemed to be tough love of some sort -- and it may have been key to her rise -- but the young must grow beyond it to be any kind of healthy.
I remember there a was discussion about this once.
Actually, it was about Russian women demonstrarive explosive temper on court in general.

In that thread, someone make the pointthat Russian women needed strong, authoritarian, no nonsense, vocal men coaches who can set them straight.

Keegan
May 25th, 2010, 02:36 PM
He used to berate her a lot, but he was good for her. Dinara needs someone to be tough on her to push her to be a better player. I get further acting on criticism than I do nice comments and I assume it's the same with Dinara because with Krajan she was almost unbeatable on most days.

goldenlox
May 25th, 2010, 02:39 PM
Dinara didn't do much at any tournament this spring.
She rushed back and her game and confidence are not ready for tournament matches.
This gives her a few more weeks off.

moby
May 25th, 2010, 02:40 PM
I remember there a was discussion about once.
Actually, it was about Russian women demonstrarive explosive temper on court in general.

In that thread, someone make the point Russian women needed strong, authoritarian, no nonsense, vocal men coaches who can set them straight.I don't remember that thread, but I'll hazard a guess that that "someone" is ys. :lol:

earthcrystal
May 25th, 2010, 02:43 PM
Whow! you did not really like the guy

How did you guess? :p

Jajaloo
May 25th, 2010, 02:48 PM
She should've stuck with him. After all...

"She won Rome and Madrid :haha:"

azinna
May 25th, 2010, 02:52 PM
Oh sure, I think berating and tough love can work for many young players (male and female). Especially when the potential is vast, so clearly there, and it's all about getting the player to stay focused on the necessary training and strategy on court. Berating can get a player deep into a big tournament. Not sure if it's actually helped one win a slam final.

And berating certainly doesn't seem ideal when a player has to negotiate the post-rise phase of her/his career. Which usually comes with an injury or two. And requires maturity and internalized confidence.

AcesHigh
May 25th, 2010, 02:55 PM
Krajan seemed like a douche. Let's see how Dinara fares in the long run.

claypova
May 25th, 2010, 03:11 PM
She should've stuck with him. After all...

"She won Rome and Madrid :haha:"

:spit:

miffedmax
May 25th, 2010, 03:26 PM
I remember there a was discussion about this once.

In that thread, someone make the pointthat Russian women needed strong, authoritarian, no nonsense, vocal men coaches who can set them straight.

Yes. That combination worked so well for this player, seen here meekly accepting input from her coach:

http://www.theage.com.au/ffximage/2006/01/23/open10_gallery__257x400.jpg

I still remember reports of a practice session conversation between Jens Gerlach and Nasty, which went something along the lines of...

Jens: "Why don't you...

Nasty: "Shut the fuck up."

Jens: "But if you just..."

Nasty: "Shut the fuck up. Can you get out here and do it?"

Jens: "No, but..."

Nasty: "Then fucking shut up."

The very model of the strong male coach reigning in the hot-tempered woman paradigm.

God, I miss Her Nastyness.