May 25th, 2010, 10:40 AM
:woohoo:

Good job Justine :yeah:

Caralenko
:inlove: :banana: 1 down.

DimaDinosaur
This was much tougher than it should have been. Looks like Henin ain't winning RG this year. Numerous chances for 6-0 6-0

Arnian
allez Justine!! Happy to see you return!

Couple of loose games, but some incredible play. Happy to get the nerves of the 1st round out of the way

ZeroSOFInfinity
May 25th, 2010, 10:41 AM
31 Winners. On Clay. :woohoo:

DragonFlame
Maybe it was just me, but it looked like justine tried hard not to play too well lol. You could see she was holding back so much.

Allez justine! :woohoo: :D Nice start.

Slutiana
Tsveti's forehand was a mess.

Justine's second serve is going to bounce right up into Maria's hitting zone on this stuff, if they do meet. :drool:

Jane Lane
Iffy match, you could tell she was a bit nervous which is understandable.
But otherwise she held it together. Allez Justine!!

Tsveti :hug:

treufreund
May 25th, 2010, 10:42 AM
That was like 5 different Justine's on the court. She was going back and forth between nervous and very distracted and perfect and sublime. Got the job done though! ALLEZ!!! :worship:

turt
May 25th, 2010, 10:42 AM
37 sets won in a row at RG!!! :worship:

n1ko0
May 25th, 2010, 10:43 AM
2nd set could have gone either way, pironkova probably just got nervous and tried to do too much, hopefully henin will get sent packing very soon :)

petkoan
May 25th, 2010, 10:44 AM
I am pleasantly surprised by Pironkova

Chorophyll
May 25th, 2010, 10:44 AM
:lol: to people who think Justine would lose this. Pironkova's FH would never allow it. Horrible play on BPs.

Agata.
May 25th, 2010, 10:45 AM
Tsveti :sad:
Bad draw for her

vejh
Ju was no doubt quite nervous, coming off an illness etc. she did good. She will only build from here (although she has just one more match before facing Pova.lol).

ALLEZ!! C'mon!!

treufreund
She seemed nervous at times but the good news for tennis is that as soon as Justine had her focus she was winning the points flawlessly. It's normal to have nerves after being back for the first time in 3 years.

Miss Atomic Bomb
May 25th, 2010, 10:46 AM
Nothing impressive from Justine, but she will surely pick it up as the tournament progresses

Tsveti was way to nervous on all the important points (had a lot of break opportunities) Her forehand is a mess too.

Justine's second serve is going to bounce right up into Maria's hitting zone on this stuff, if they do meet. :drool:

I was thinking the same thing. Maria has to just go all out on those second serves. Justine will be winning most of the long rallies

SVK
May 25th, 2010, 10:49 AM
Tsveti´s forehand was sooo bad today...I even never saw her plyaying forehand that bad:spit:

But I´m inlove with her serve.. nice fight:hug:

ZeroSOFInfinity
May 25th, 2010, 10:49 AM
The backhand return on Tsvetana's 2nd serve to set up matchpoint = :eek:

Was that a mishit? That return seemed nigh impossible....

Arnian
May 25th, 2010, 10:50 AM

Was that a mishit? That return seemed nigh impossible....

It wasn't a miss hit at least from what I saw, it was just hit short

treufreund
May 25th, 2010, 10:50 AM
Nothing impressive from Justine, but she will surely pick it up as the tournament progresses

Tsveti was way to nervous on all the important points (had a lot of break opportunities) Her forehand is a mess too.

I was thinking the same thing. Maria has to just go all out on those second serves. Justine will be winning most of the long rallies

True but Pironkova moves better on clay and also Justine will not hesitate to attack Sharapova's serve too. We all know that Sharapova can be goaded into going for too much on her 2nd serves which have no room for margin. Should be a great challenge for Justine!

miss molly
May 25th, 2010, 10:51 AM
Congrats Ju. She was nervous but managed to win it in two sets. She'll need to improve though, good luck for the next round.

Slutiana
it was a mishit. :shrug:

freeandlonely
Tougher than expected.
Keep improving Ju.

Arnian
May 25th, 2010, 10:52 AM
it was a mishit. :shrug:

Can't you troll somewhere else, you're pathetic

ZeroSOFInfinity
True but Pironkova moves better on clay and also Justine will not hesitate to attack Sharapova's serve too. We all know that Sharapova can be goaded into going for too much on her 2nd serves which have no room for margin. Should be a great challenge for Justine!

Well, can't wait for Maria in 3rd round. Assuming both reach there.

Then my Saturday will be complete. :drool:

ElusiveChanteuse
Ju :cheer:
Hopefully she can focus better on following matches. She can do better.:D

treufreund
May 25th, 2010, 10:53 AM
It wasn't a miss hit at least from what I saw, it was just hit short

It was not a mishit... Just a short quick swing designed to land short up the court so that it would not land deep into Tsvetana's backhand. It makes the passing shot tons harder if your ball lands short and bounces low up the line, especially if the baseliner is not expecting this shot and only runs laterally and does not cut off the angle or loses her footing a bit on the clay. :)

Slutiana
May 25th, 2010, 10:55 AM
Can't you troll somewhere else, you're pathetic
It was a mishit... Even Keothavong and the other commentator agreed about that, or are they trolls too?

debby
:cheer: Justine ! one down !

Bad luck Pironkova.

moby
Reasonable first round match. Slow start + mid-second set lapse, all to be expected.
Does Justine have the best overheads of all time, or what?

Pironkova's forehand is pathetic.

Allez-H
May 25th, 2010, 10:56 AM
22 matches and 37 sets unbeaten at RG and counting :cool: Perfect match to start up the tourney.

shap_half
May 25th, 2010, 10:57 AM
It was a mishit... Even Keothavong and the other commentator agreed about that, or are they trolls too?

Were these the same people who kept saying Justine never misses an overhead? Yeah, I don't trust them.

Maybe it wasn't a clean shot, but calling it a mishit was a bit too much.

ElusiveChanteuse
May 25th, 2010, 10:57 AM

Who gives a damn about what they say seriously?:lol:

Mrs. Dimitrova
May 25th, 2010, 10:58 AM
Tsveti is useless. How many BP opportunities did you want? :weirdo:

Chance
May 25th, 2010, 10:59 AM
awwe man I wanted to see this match but none of the streams worked for me :(. I thought Pironkova might give justine a lil more trouble, but good to see Justine through to the second round

Ferg
Pity Pironkova didnt take her 0-40 lead for *4-2.

debby
It will be hard for Maria too since she has been wasting loads of BP lately :lol:

Arnian
May 25th, 2010, 11:00 AM

Right and 18 time grand slam champ Martine Navratilova said it wasn't a mishit, so who you are going to believe?

I'm going with Martina and my own two eyes :wavey:

Slutiana
Who gives a damn about what they say seriously?:lol:
Not the point. Are they trolls too?

SoClose
Good fight Tsveti ! :)

Slutiana
May 25th, 2010, 11:01 AM
Right and 18 time grand slam champ Martine Navratilova said it wasn't a mishit, so who you are going to believe?

I'm going with Martina and my own two eyes :wavey:

narutos
May 25th, 2010, 11:02 AM

Right about this its clay Maria will try to go for it on her serves bcause Henin will probably have the edge during rallies.

Matt01

You are :help:.

moby
Were these the same people who kept saying Justine never misses an overhead? Yeah, I don't trust them. It was an exaggeration, but she nails overheads from the baseline like no one in the history of the sport. :p

Arnian
May 25th, 2010, 11:03 AM

You are a troll because you never say anything good about Justine, all you do is say negative smart ass remarks.

We get it, you don't like Justine, but let it go already because you're becoming pathetically predictable now.

shap_half
May 25th, 2010, 11:04 AM
It was an exaggeration, but she nails overheads from the baseline like no one in the history of the sport. :p

I'm sure Kim Clijsters would agree with you along with everyone who saw the SF in Miami. :lol:

Justine has great overheads, among the best in history. But that Miami SF was a comedy of errors with all those botched smashes.

ElusiveChanteuse
May 25th, 2010, 11:05 AM

Wait until they win at least 3 slams to do the real talk.:p

Slutiana
May 25th, 2010, 11:06 AM
You are a troll because you never say anything good about Justine, all you do is say negative smart ass remarks.

We get it, you don't like Justine, but let it go already because you're becoming pathetically predictable now.
Saying that one of her shots was a mishit = trolling? Ok thanks, another idiot onto ignore.

Arnian
May 25th, 2010, 11:06 AM
I'm sure Kim Clijsters would agree with you along with everyone who saw the SF in Miami. :lol:

Justine has great overheads, among the best in history. But that Miami SF was a comedy of errors with all those botched smashes.

You have to remember that match was at night though, and it's hard to hit a great overheard during a night match. Plus Justine never got her eyes fixed so that probably doesn't help.

Arnian
May 25th, 2010, 11:07 AM
Saying that one of her shots was a mishit = trolling? Ok thanks, another idiot onto ignore.

No saying everything you possibly can that's negative about Justine is what a troll does, and that's what you do.

and believe me, you say everything that there is possible to say and more

Conor
May 25th, 2010, 11:11 AM

They never said it was a 'mishit'... that implies it landed somewhere completely different to where she intended. He only suggested that maybe she hadn't meant it to be as good as it was :)

DavidEllul
May 25th, 2010, 11:11 AM
Allez justine! :bounce: Not bad first round performance at all!

Haters, die already :devil:

goldenlox
May 25th, 2010, 11:14 AM
Thats 22 wins at FO in a row. She isnt peaking yet. Has to play better than this next week

Miss Atomic Bomb
May 25th, 2010, 11:20 AM

Yep, just ignore em, not worth the time

http://i49.tinypic.com/16c55r8.jpg

Carotastrophe
May 25th, 2010, 11:27 AM
Expected. JuJu was just to good:cheer:.

Elwin.
May 25th, 2010, 11:30 AM
:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

bandabou
May 25th, 2010, 11:34 AM
Hmmm...tricky match (specially that 2-3 game when Pirinkova had 3 bp's) Once she blew that chance, the match was over.

Queen is back?! :scared:

Beny
May 25th, 2010, 11:37 AM
Saw just couple of games. Even this play from Justine is enough to win Roland Garros. She played fine, nothing special but considering how other players usually perform here, or against her here, Justine is not losing this year ;)

She will step it up when needed.

turt
May 25th, 2010, 11:40 AM
You have to remember that match was at night though, and it's hard to hit a great overheard during a night match. Plus Justine never got her eyes fixed so that probably doesn't help.
Well actually she did fix her eyes after her first carreer... :o

Andy.
May 25th, 2010, 11:45 AM
:fiery::fiery::fiery: I dont normally hate on Justine I just really didnt want her to win this match for very obvious reasons.

Dexter
May 25th, 2010, 11:48 AM
Tsveti's forehand IS a mess.

Justine's second serve is going to bounce right up into Maria's hitting zone on this stuff, if they do meet. :drool:Corrected.

thegreendestiny
May 25th, 2010, 11:59 AM
Please show Masha some mercy Justine :angel:

Aaric
May 25th, 2010, 12:01 PM
:fiery::fiery::fiery: I dont normally hate on Justine I just really didnt want her to win this match for very obvious reasons.

It´ll be sweeter when Maria kills her

miss_molik
May 25th, 2010, 12:02 PM
Congrats Ju :)

loppy
May 25th, 2010, 12:05 PM
One down, 6 more to go :woohoo:

DavidEllul
May 25th, 2010, 12:18 PM
It´ll be sweeter when Maria kills her

Daydream much :lol:

_Cell-chuk
May 25th, 2010, 12:29 PM
Was Justine's pinky still in plaster cast???

tennisbum79
May 25th, 2010, 12:36 PM
Maybe it was just me, but it looked like justine tried hard not to play too well lol. You could see she was holding back so much.

Allez justine! :woohoo: :D Nice start.

Come again?

"Try hard not to play too well"?
That is the defintiion of tanking, and I don't believe for a moment she was trying to tank the match.

Please try again and clarify.

Serenita
May 25th, 2010, 12:40 PM
Come again?

That is the defintiion of tanking, and I don't believe for a moment she was trying to tank the match.

:lol: i know right sounds dumb and uninformed.

barmaid
May 25th, 2010, 12:59 PM
Just finished watching Justine oust Pironkova 6-4, 6-3 and while the lovely backhand is still in place and she made some nice drop shots, Justine still has serving issues so there are some worrisome glitches in that area still. But she manages to have that fight when she needs it, trailing 3-2 and down 0-40 she fought back to tie the game at 3-3 and then closed out the next 3 games. Hopefully she will corrrect that serve as she gets more confidence. :worship: Come on Justine allez!:bounce:

Barmaid:wavey:

DragonFlame
May 25th, 2010, 01:03 PM
Come again?

Holding back, is what i mean. Just doing enough to win in straights but still get some court time in there.
Justine just looks so comfortable out at RG. It looked like she definetly had a gear or 2 she didn´t use, probably to conserve energy and topform. I´m thinking about ´not wanting to peak to soon´, with your faves, i´m sure you´ve heard of it. ;)

tennisbum79
May 25th, 2010, 01:23 PM
Holding back, is what i mean. Just doing enough to win in straights but still get some court time in there.
Justine just looks so comfortable out at RG. It looked like she definetly had a gear or 2 she didn´t use, probably to conserve energy and topform. I´m thinking about ´not wanting to peak to soon´, with your faves, i´m sure you´ve heard of it. ;)
Well that is very different from try not to play well.

You have just said "holding back".

AnnaK_4ever
May 25th, 2010, 01:59 PM
Ugly win as expected. Justine has never been impressive in the opening rounds at Roland Garros.

Milito22
May 25th, 2010, 02:17 PM

Kitten63
May 25th, 2010, 03:00 PM
Congrats,Justine!

harloo
May 25th, 2010, 03:00 PM
Justine looked vulnerable out there even against Pironkova who has no weapons. She played decent but she will have to improve her level or it's going to be lights out.:lol:

RenaSlam.
May 25th, 2010, 03:06 PM
:wavey: Piro

Joe.
May 25th, 2010, 03:07 PM
:(

flyingmachine
May 25th, 2010, 03:25 PM
:worship:

Matt01
May 25th, 2010, 03:27 PM
Justine looked vulnerable out there even against Pironkova who has no weapons. She played decent but she will have to improve her level or it's going to be lights out.:lol:

Yeah, right. Pironkova has no weapons :rolleyes:

CrossCourt~Rally
May 25th, 2010, 03:28 PM
Welcome back to RG JuJu :yeah:

DavidEllul
May 25th, 2010, 03:37 PM

Big deal :p

When was she not vulnerable in the early rounds of RG these years :lol:

Roookie
May 25th, 2010, 04:18 PM
Welcome back to Roland Garros Justine :woohoo:

31 WINNERS / 19 UE....pretty good stats IMO :yeah:.

Drake1980
May 25th, 2010, 04:51 PM
Great start! :DI mean a win is a win anyway! :p

Arnian
May 25th, 2010, 05:47 PM
Well actually she did fix her eyes after her first carreer... :o

No she still has to wear a contact in one eye, if I'm not mistaken about that

Jienus
May 25th, 2010, 05:48 PM
Justine will win Roland Garros.

Arnian
May 25th, 2010, 05:49 PM

Lights our against who exactly :help:

Pironkova has weapons also :lol:

Tennis Ball
May 25th, 2010, 06:18 PM
That was like 5 different Justine's on the court. She was going back and forth between nervous and very distracted and perfect and sublime. Got the job done though! ALLEZ!!! :worship:

Well done, Ju! See you next round!

StephenUK
May 25th, 2010, 07:04 PM
Pleased and relieved that Justine won. En avant!!

Calypso
May 25th, 2010, 07:08 PM
Well done Justine! Nice solid play, held her own against a tough, hard-hitting opponent.

manu32
May 25th, 2010, 07:13 PM
pfffffffffffffffff

supergrunt
May 25th, 2010, 10:35 PM
wow after watching that I'm almost certain that Serena is going to humiliate her :haha: well anyway congrats justine :)

Matt01
May 25th, 2010, 11:11 PM
wow after watching that I'm almost certain that Serena is going to humiliate her :haha:

Justine lost less games in her 1st round match than Serena did :shrug:

Tennisation
May 25th, 2010, 11:31 PM
wow after watching that I'm almost certain that Serena is going to humiliate her :haha: well anyway congrats justine :)
Quarterina :spit:

Corswandt
May 26th, 2010, 12:00 AM
Tsveti's forehand was a mess.

That woeful FH costs her matches all by itself. In the beginning of the match, Henin's game plan was simply to rush the net behind just about any shot she managed to hit into Pironkova's FH.

I can sort of guess the reasoning behind Pironkova flattening out her FH more often these days: she's going to make errors from that side anyway, so she might as well do so while trying to go for winners. She doesn't have much control over her FH when she flattens it, but when it does go in, it's a rocket. As is her serve - her 1st serve was consistently around the 190-195 km/h mark. :eek:

She defended herself well, too, and made it a match against a Henin who played nowhere near as bad as some people in this thread are claiming.

Viktymise
May 26th, 2010, 08:30 AM
She defended herself well, too, and made it a match against a Henin who played nowhere near as bad as some people in this thread are claiming.

I agree.

Tszveti was taking way more risks with her FH because she knew that's the only way she could make the match close. I thought the 1st set had some excellent tennis, lots of big winners, some good rallies.

I don't think Tszveti's rally FH was as bad as it is these days back in '06. I remember it was loopy but I remember she was able to keep it consistently deep and it was fairly heavy. These days is rarely clears the service line, which is a shame. Her BH is an excellently produced and solid shot which she can change the direction on effortlessly and can keep even elite opponents pinned back behind the baseline with. She's a terrific mover for her size and has resourceful defensive skills. But yeah, that FH.

Human Nature
May 26th, 2010, 08:42 AM
Justine lost less games in her 1st round match than Serena did :shrug:

Justine lost as many games as serena did .. 7/5 6/2 vs 6/4 6/3..

spencercarlos
May 26th, 2010, 08:42 PM
Justine lost as many games as serena did .. 7/5 6/2 vs 6/4 6/3..
Maybe you missed the first set tiebreak? :rolleyes: 7-6 6-2 was the score..

spencercarlos
May 26th, 2010, 08:43 PM
That woeful FH costs her matches all by itself. In the beginning of the match, Henin's game plan was simply to rush the net behind just about any shot she managed to hit into Pironkova's FH.

I can sort of guess the reasoning behind Pironkova flattening out her FH more often these days: she's going to make errors from that side anyway, so she might as well do so while trying to go for winners. She doesn't have much control over her FH when she flattens it, but when it does go in, it's a rocket. As is her serve - her 1st serve was consistently around the 190-195 km/h mark. :eek:

I agree.

I was surprised about Tsvetana, she played a lot of junk, defending forehand slicing stuff, nice movement. I expected her to do a lot more ball bashing..

Henin was in control for most of the match though.