PDA

View Full Version : Which player gets the worst 1st round draws in Grand Slams?

Shvedbarilescu
May 25th, 2010, 06:53 AM
Which player gets the worst 1st round draws in Grand Slams?

Yeah, I know the immediate response to this question for many will be their fave does. But I'm serious. In fact, while this might sound like a debatable question I have had a look into it and their is a genuine answer. And yet I don't think many folks have noticed it. I read posters frequently commenting on how unlucky their faves are with draws and indeed some players do have a history of not generally getting great draws but one player stands out as easily the unluckiest of all. And no, she is not one of my favourite players either in case any of you think this thread is there to simply garner sympathy for one of my faves.

So who is she? I am intrigued to know how many other posters have noticed this girl's misforture.

Caralenko
May 25th, 2010, 06:54 AM
Voegele? :lol:

Steven.
May 25th, 2010, 06:59 AM
The better question would've been which seeded player received the worst overall draw or something.

Shvedbarilescu
May 25th, 2010, 07:00 AM
Voegele? :lol:

She has only played five Slams in the main draw, yes she has draw both Williams sisters and Pennetta but the other two were Brianti and Czink which aren't too bad. So yes she has had some bad luck thus far but it's been a small sample. I am talking about a playing with a substantially longer and more consistent history of bad luck.

Shvedbarilescu
May 25th, 2010, 07:03 AM
The better question would've been which seeded player received the worst overall draw or something.

Why? So you can gripe about how your fave got a bad draw at this years RG perhaps. You can do that in another thread. And this question refers not to just this RG but to a player's entire career.

frenchie
May 25th, 2010, 07:12 AM
I don't know but Meusburger always has an easy 1st round

Poova
May 25th, 2010, 07:14 AM

Yeah, I know the immediate response to this question for many will be their fave does. But I'm serious. In fact, while this might sound like a debatable question I have had a look into it and their is a genuine answer. And yet I don't think many folks have noticed it. I read posters frequently commenting on how unlucky their faves are with draws and indeed some players do have a history of not generally getting great draws but one player stands out as easily the unluckiest of all. And no, she is not one of my favourite players either in case any of you think this thread is there to simply garner sympathy for one of my faves.

So who is she? I am intrigued to know how many other posters have noticed this girl's misforture.
Kudryavtseva?

Shvedbarilescu
May 25th, 2010, 07:15 AM
I don't know but Meusburger always has an easy 1st round

That would be another good poll question, yes. But I am still looking for an answer to the question I posed....it's looking like no one knows.

nevetssllim
May 25th, 2010, 07:16 AM
Julia Goerges has been pretty unfortunately with first round match-ups. And as well as singles, she faced the Williams sisters in doubles at the USO last year.

Pasta-Na
May 25th, 2010, 07:17 AM
shuai zhang :sad:

Shvedbarilescu
May 25th, 2010, 07:20 AM
Kudryavtseva?

Excellent try!!!

She is right up there yeah. 8 seeds in her last 12 Grand Slams, amongst them Wozniacki, Safina, Dementieva, Venus Williams and Vaidisova in the days when Vaidisova could still play. That is just horrible. Hard to believe anyone could have any worse luck than that. But at least one player does....:eek:

Shvedbarilescu
May 25th, 2010, 07:24 AM
Julia Goerges has been pretty unfortunately with first round match-ups. And as well as singles, she faced the Williams sisters in doubles at the USO last year.

Another great pick!!!

6 seeds in 9 draws including 4 top 10ers, Kuznetsova, Jankovic, Ivanovic and number 1 Henin. Very unlucky indeed. Infact it is remarkable how certain players just seem plagued with bad luck in Grand Slam draws. One wonders what they had done in previous lives to deserve it. So Julia too is right up in the list of most unlucky. But we are still looking for the top girl....

Shvedbarilescu
May 25th, 2010, 07:27 AM
shuai zhang :sad:

Zhang is a perfect 2 for 2 drawing seeds, Petrova and Kuznetsova. And of course no Chinese girl ever wants to draw Petrova. So she is off to the worst possible start drawwise, but it is still way to small a sample to consider her for this question.

Steven.
May 25th, 2010, 07:31 AM
Why? So you can gripe about how your fave got a bad draw at this years RG perhaps. You can do that in another thread. And this question refers not to just this RG but to a player's entire career.

?? my bad that I misread 'grand slams' as 'roland garros'? I don't even know where you got that assumption from. People here need to seriously chill rofl.

And what about you? Did you make this thread so you can weep about how 98/100 of your favourite players lost r1 or in qualifying rounds?

Time to observe whether Shvedbarulescu can take what he attempts to dish out.

dybbuk
May 25th, 2010, 07:33 AM
Dushevina is incredibly unlucky. Dementieva multiple times, Williams, Ivanovic, Wozniacki. Only a couple decent-ish 1rs, Kirilenko, Cornet.

Serenus Christ
May 25th, 2010, 07:34 AM
Venus Williams.
Out of the top seeded players she vs. lots of good solid players first round:
Aus Open: Safarova
French: Patty
cant be bothered looking up the rest.

Shvedbarilescu
May 25th, 2010, 07:36 AM
?? my bad that I misread 'grand slams' as 'roland garros'? People here need to seriously chill rofl.

And what about you? Did you make this thread so you can weep about how 98/100 of your favourite players lost r1 or in qualifying rounds?

Time to observe whether Shvedbarulescu can take what he attempts to dish out.

Err...non of the players mentioned have been amongst my faves actually no am I looking for them to be picked. If you read the thread better you would have already picked this up but clearly comprehension is not your strongest quality. And we are taking solely about main draw 1st rounds, not qualies. As for chilling I think it is you that needs to chill.

WhoAmI?
May 25th, 2010, 07:36 AM
I'd say Halep.

She had to play Stosur, while there are match-ups like Katie O'Brien vs Jill Craybas :rolleyes:

EDIT: Oh, you meant in general. Don't count it then^^ :p

TheBoiledEgg
May 25th, 2010, 07:38 AM
Dushevina is incredibly unlucky. Dementieva multiple times, Williams, Ivanovic, Wozniacki. Only a couple decent-ish 1rs, Kirilenko, Cornet.

yep :sad:

also Dushevina :help:

AUS 08 DNP
RG 08 Dementieva(7)
WIM 08 Kirilenko(19) WIN
US 08 Ivanovic(1)
AUS 09 DNP
RG 09 Caroline Wozniacki(10)
WIM 09 Alize Cornet(22) WIN
US 09 Venus Williams(3)
AUS 10 Elena Dementieva(5)
RG 10 Alona Bondarenko

Slutiana
May 25th, 2010, 07:39 AM
^lol
Venus Williams.
Out of the top seeded players she vs. lots of good solid players first round:
Aus Open: Safarova
French: Patty
cant be bothered looking up the rest.
And lol.

Slutiana

AUS 08 DNP
RG 08 Dementieva(7)
WIM 08 Kirilenko(19) WIN
US 08 Ivanovic(1)
AUS 09 DNP
US 09 Venus Williams(3)
RG 10 Alona Bondarenko
DEAD. :help:

Steven.
Err...non of the players mentioned have been amongst my faves actually no am I looking for them to be picked. If you read the thread better you would have already picked this up but clearly comprehension is not your strongest quality. And we are taking solely about main draw 1st rounds, not qualies. As for chilling I think it is you that needs to chill.

I'm not sure who came around picking fights first (hint: not me). I just thought I was helping by suggesting a less close-ended question as I assumed it was a specific grand slam. :lol: So calm down boy.

WhoAmI?
May 25th, 2010, 07:40 AM

AUS 08 DNP
RG 08 Dementieva(7)
WIM 08 Kirilenko(19) WIN
US 08 Ivanovic(1)
AUS 09 DNP
US 09 Venus Williams(3)
RG 10 Alona Bondarenko

Oh wow. No easy 100p for her.

Rome & Madrid
May 25th, 2010, 07:44 AM
Voegele and Goerges..!
Easiest: probably Bacsinszky and not only in GS but almost always... she played a qualifier in Rd.1 like ten times this year..! :eek:

Shvedbarilescu
May 25th, 2010, 07:44 AM

Congratulations!!! We have a winner. Yes Dushevina has been so unlucky it almost defies probability. She has now drawns seeds in 9 out of her last 10 Grand Slams. Considering the odds for an unseeded player to draw a seed in the 1st round is 25% this is crazy. On top of that the only nonseed she faced in this time 35th ranked Iveta Benesova missed being seeded by just one place. Additionally in Dushevina's last 8 slams she has draw a top 10er 5 times. Poor poor girl.

Shvedbarilescu
May 25th, 2010, 07:51 AM
More on Dushevina....in 26 Grand Slam main draws only four times has she drawn a player ranked higher than herself 22 times. Also Vera has only once draw a qualifier compared to 14 seeds in 26 slams.

Aryman3
May 25th, 2010, 07:58 AM
Urszula Radwanska?

Chorophyll
May 25th, 2010, 07:59 AM
Barrois?

Shvedbarilescu
May 25th, 2010, 08:02 AM
Voegele and Goerges..!
Easiest: probably Bacsinszky and not only in GS but almost always... she played a qualifier in Rd.1 like ten times this year..! :eek:

Yeah, Timea has had a lot of nice 1st rounds in tournaments this year including 7 qualifiers. And in 12 slams she has drawn 3 qualifiers, 1 wildcard and only one top 30 player, Petrova, seeded 7 and ranked number 8 at the time.

marc0026
May 25th, 2010, 09:27 AM
date krumm since her comeback?

Shvedbarilescu
May 25th, 2010, 10:11 AM
date krumm since her comeback?

Yeah, only four slams so far in main draws (since start of comeback) but three seeds including Wozniacki and Safina is pretty brutal. One can't compare her to the likes of Dushevina or even Kudryavtseva and Goerges, all of whose bad luck has extended for far longer periods, but, yeah, her draws haven't been kind to her so far. :sad:

Kimiko :hug:

Any other players who one can think of who belong in the top 10 most unlucky? (Nobody can pass Vera D)

Iceland
May 25th, 2010, 10:22 AM
Camille Pin at the Australian Open since 2003:

faced Davenport, Hénin, SWilliams twice, Maria Sharapova, Venus Williams and Zheng Jie :lol:

Not much luckier in The Us open either ^^

crazillo
May 25th, 2010, 10:26 AM
Pironkova has been facing quite a few stars in R1 the last couple years.

¤CharlDa¤
May 25th, 2010, 10:38 AM
First thought was Goerges here too. Interesting thread!

NyCPsU
May 25th, 2010, 12:09 PM
As soon as I saw this thread I thought Dushevina. Also Pin a few years ago had top seeds like every single grand slam for a while too.

NyCPsU
May 25th, 2010, 12:10 PM

faced Davenport, Hénin, SWilliams twice, Maria Sharapova, Venus Williams and Zheng Jie :lol:

Ha, hadn't read the last page, so didnt see you posted this. I feel like even her other grand slam draws weren't great either, Ill have to look it up.

Shvedbarilescu
May 25th, 2010, 12:52 PM

Camille Pin's Australian Open draws have been rough but in fairness some of those matches you mentioned at the AO were 2nd rounders. One of her Serena Williams matches, and the Henin match and the Venus Williams match were all actually 2nd round matches. In the 1st round those years she faced Garbin, Niculescu and Diaz-Oliva which weren't so bad. Still with 1st and 2nd round opponents like these getting to a 3rd round for a player like Pin because pretty near impossible. So it hasn't been easy for her at all.

And She has still faces 11 seeds in 23 Grand Slams 1st rounds which is a lot for sure. And amongst those names are many big stars like Serena, Davenport, Sharapova and Dementieva, so she definately has to be up there amongst the top 10 unluckiest.

pesto
May 25th, 2010, 01:04 PM
If you are a non-seed, there is actually a 33% chance you meet a seed, not 25%.

Worked out as follows:

96 non-seeds in the draw. 32 must meet a seed, as seeds cannot meet each other. 32/96=1/3 or 33%.

JujulCactus
May 25th, 2010, 01:05 PM
AIKO NAKAMURA for sure !!! :help:

SVK
May 25th, 2010, 01:09 PM
Pironkova is a good example;)

VIKA?
May 25th, 2010, 01:10 PM
Vika:shrug:

Shvedbarilescu
May 25th, 2010, 01:15 PM
If you are a non-seed, there is actually a 33% chance you meet a seed, not 25%.

Worked out as follows:

96 non-seeds in the draw. 32 must meet a seed, as seeds cannot meet each other. 32/96=1/3 or 33%.

You are right. Thank you. Still when we see a player facing seeds in the 1st round over 50% of the time over an extended period or in the case of Dushevina in 9 out of her last 10 slams we know we have found an unlucky player.

Shvedbarilescu
May 25th, 2010, 01:33 PM
AIKO NAKAMURA for sure !!! :help:

Nakamura is a very interesting case actually. She demonstrates conclusively that luck can change. Unfortunately in her case it changed from very good to very bad. Aiko's 1st 5 Grand Slams she had wonderful draws, facing 4 players ranked outside the top 100 and all 5 outside the top 95. Her next 6 slams weren't quite as good but she still only faced 1 seeded player, no 32 seeded Eleni Daniilidou. And 4 of her other opponents were ranked below 70. So in Nakamura's 1st 11 Slams she faced just 2 players ranked higher than 70, Daniilidou ranked 35 and Castano ranked 36. Frankly that is just about as good as it gets.

Then it all changed. In order Aiko faced Ivanovic seeded 5, Henin seeded 1, Kuznetsova seeded 4, Zvonereva seeded 13 and then Bammer seeded 29, a brutal sequence. In her last Slam match at Wimbledon Aiko faced a LL loser, but still wasn't able to win and she has played only three matches since then sadly with injuries far outweighing bad draws as the main source of her misfortune. :awww:

pollison
May 25th, 2010, 01:35 PM

YES! This is who i was going to say, Pin has had it tough for a long time now, she did so well against sharapova in '07 but apart from taht she was beaten badly.

Shvedbarilescu
May 25th, 2010, 01:37 PM
Vika:shrug:

Even taking into account that Azarenka is a seeded player, prior to Dulko, she hasn't really had a tough 1st round draw since 2006. No.

Corswandt
May 26th, 2010, 01:23 AM

I was going to post just that. She's been very lucky this year.

For a player who got bad draws in nearly every tournament she played for almost a full season, check Caravane.

Ryan
May 26th, 2010, 01:36 AM
Really cool thread. I cant believe how unlucky Vera has been :eek: Those are some tough first rounders.

Lord Choc Ice
May 26th, 2010, 01:38 AM
Wozniacki. :lol:

delicatecutter
May 26th, 2010, 01:44 AM
Do you have all this memorized? :speakles:

Wiggly
May 26th, 2010, 03:29 AM
Toughest 1R, I don't know.
As for the easiest, it seems it's always the same players that have decent draws, not only some of the top players but a bunch of top 75 who always get the slumping seeds and the local WCs.

As for the toughest 4R, it has to be Hantuchova.
She always gets a WS, especially in Wimbledon.

Shvedbarilescu
May 26th, 2010, 03:36 AM
Do you have all this memorized? :speakles:

Me? Hell no. But I have a wonderful tennis database programme I downloaded from the internet years ago which constantly updates all results and really does so many good things. It costs a few pounds every year to use but I think it's well worth it. :)

A-Chak
May 26th, 2010, 03:39 AM
I feel bad for dushevina :lol:

BuTtErFrEnA
May 26th, 2010, 03:46 AM
interesting thread :lol:

actually makes me appreciate and respect top players on a whole...to get to the top of the sport at some point you're the lower ranked player getting unlucky draws that you have to believe you can get through and win...

well done OP ;)

darrinbaker00
May 26th, 2010, 03:53 AM
In my opinion, it's a 64-way tie. ;)

Singleniacki
May 26th, 2010, 03:57 AM
Marions been geting pretty good first rounds lately

Camille and Dush :tears:

TheBoiledEgg
May 26th, 2010, 07:55 AM
Me? Hell no. But I have a wonderful tennis database programme I downloaded from the internet years ago which constantly updates all results and really does so many good things. It costs a few pounds every year to use but I think it's well worth it. :)

pay for it ?? i just save the final GS pdf's on the PC

OsloErik
May 26th, 2010, 08:26 AM
For a player who got bad draws in nearly every tournament she played for almost a full season, check Caravane.

2007, yeah? I remember thinking "poor girl can't catch a break" for about three straight months when the draws were coming out.

claypova
May 26th, 2010, 08:31 AM
camille pin @ australian open

Corswandt
May 27th, 2010, 12:46 AM
2007, yeah? I remember thinking "poor girl can't catch a break" for about three straight months when the draws were coming out.

2007, yes. 18 1R losses in that season, only a quarter or so of those being matches she was supposed to win.

For more recent examples, see Youzhny during his early 2009 slump and (even worse) Gulbis when he was ranked around #60-80 in 2009-early 2010. I remember him entering a lot of ATP 250 events and drawing a top seed in nearly all of them.

TheBoiledEgg
Jun 18th, 2010, 01:09 PM
again Bepa :( :(

1st rd Wimbledon 2010
Schiavone(5)

beat her Bepa ok :kiss:

SAISAI-GOAT
Jun 18th, 2010, 01:10 PM
Schiavone is a cakewalk draw :bigwave:

Lighter
Jun 18th, 2010, 01:22 PM
MEC for RG and Wimby :
- RG : Bartoli
- Wimby : Clijsters
Thanks to random software.

SVK
Jun 18th, 2010, 01:29 PM
Bacsinszky again with good draw - Gallovits:lol:

NyCPsU
Jun 18th, 2010, 01:30 PM
:eek: Poor Dushevina, at least she is champion of something. :shrug:

TheBoiledEgg
Jun 18th, 2010, 01:36 PM
Dushevina's run continues........ :help:

AUS 08 DNP
RG 08 Elena Dementieva(7)
WIM 08 Maria Kirilenko(19) WIN
US 08 Ana Ivanovic(1)
AUS 09 Iveta Benesova
US 09 Venus Williams(3)
RG 10 Alona Bondarenko(30)
WIM 10 Francesca Schiavone(5)

NeeemZ
Jun 18th, 2010, 01:38 PM
I immediately looked for Dushevina's draw to see if she faced a top seed and she does. She must honestly think she has the worst luck in the world.

SVK
Jun 18th, 2010, 01:44 PM
btw. Craybas also hasn´t bad draws in grandslams

LightsOut!
Jun 18th, 2010, 02:12 PM
bacsinszky was lucky AGAIN :lol:

spotsyboy
Jun 18th, 2010, 02:29 PM
How about Rossana de los Rios? Not just because she probably has the worst draw as a non-seed here at W this time, but she's faced top seeds in the first round plenty of times......wish I could conjure up the stats! :(

TheBoiledEgg
Jun 19th, 2010, 03:46 PM
Rossana got lucky last yr, played Vaidisova and got 100 freebies

croat123
Jun 19th, 2010, 04:53 PM
it's crazy that dushevina is playing the 5th seed and that it's probably one of her best chances to get past the first round :o

RobM88
Jun 19th, 2010, 05:28 PM
Georges keeps on being unlucky - at least at the French she had one round vs. Czink before Serena. This time, Bartoli. Ugh.

Archer16
Jun 19th, 2010, 07:23 PM
Interesting thread.
btw. Craybas also hasn´t bad draws in grandslams
Jill always seems to get easy Grand Slam draws. O'Brien at the FO and last year, Gullickson at the US Open, Pironkova at the FO and Wimbledon and Johansson at the AO. Makes you feel sorry for Goerges and Dushevina with their horror draws!
Yeah I was also going to mention that. Has anyone been luckier in majors in the last couple of years?

poulao
Jun 19th, 2010, 07:26 PM
What about poor Michelle Larcher De Brito ;) she has to find a way past Big Mama Serena Wiliams

SVK
Jun 19th, 2010, 07:26 PM
I sent Craybas´ 1st round draws here but then it says "Database error" and it obviously didn´t send:o:lol:...yeah she was lucky, I think her last hard draw was Cibulkova US Open 2008

fouc
Jun 19th, 2010, 07:48 PM
I have a feeling that this time Dushevina's gonna pull through.

Beny
Jun 19th, 2010, 08:30 PM
Rybarikova

Safina,..who else she faced, Henin in round 1 in Miami

SVK
Jun 19th, 2010, 08:45 PM
Which player gets the worst 1st round draws in Grand Slams, not in usual tournaments:p

Magda has in grandslams bad but also very good draws

her grandslam 1st round draws:

2008 Roland G. - Sprem
2008 Wimbledon - Niculescu
2008 US Open - Dulko
2009 Aus. Open - Zvonareva
2009 Roland G. - Mladenovic
2009 Wimbledon - Vinci
2009 US Open - Tetreault
2010 Aus. Open - Safina
2010 Roland G. - Arvidsson
2010 Wimbledon - Rezai