PDA

View Full Version : anapolis general tennis discussion thread

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20 21

fANAtic
Jun 25th, 2011, 01:04 PM
:lol:

The commentators saying Julia gets compared to Ana all the time. And then the woman tells the man it's good though.. and asks him.. "Wouldn't you be happy to be compared to Brad Pitt?"

I'm happy they barred her from "The hottest player competition". No one would remember her for her number 1 and RG.

gaviotabr
Jun 27th, 2011, 03:11 PM
Bartoli x Lisicki Wimbledon QFs. If only Ana still had a brain.. :sobbing:

currie84
Jun 27th, 2011, 03:19 PM
I don't know about Lisicki but Bartoli is light years ahead of Ana right now as a player.both technically and mentally.

gaviotabr
Jun 27th, 2011, 03:33 PM
I don't know about Lisicki but Bartoli is light years ahead of Ana right now as a player.both technically and mentally.

Especially mentally. I was impressed by how Bartoli kept going even after missing all those MPs.

That's why I say if only Ana still had a brain.. She clearly can't compete mentally with these players, so all her game glitches get very much exposed. Players reaching QFs left and right in slams aren't that superior technically, even with the weaknesses Ana is showing. But they do have brains.

currie84
Jun 27th, 2011, 03:40 PM
the Bartoli i saw today was superior techically as well.I mean is there any weakness in her game right now?She used to have an unreliable serve and today she outaced Serena!Her fitness was a concern but she's played like 20 games in last month.Her groundstrokes are as good as anyones,hits off both sides with equal power and depth with very few ues

gaviotabr
Jun 27th, 2011, 03:47 PM
the Bartoli i saw today was superior techically as well.I mean is there any weakness in her game right now?She used to have an unreliable serve and today she outaced Serena!Her fitness was a concern but she's played like 20 games in last month.Her groundstrokes are as good as anyones,hits off both sides with equal power and depth with very few ues

You have to be smart to play Bartoli. Gotta hit behind her all the time and go CC. She does have weaknesses.. it's no coincidence she almost lost to Lourdes Domingues Lino and Flavia Pennetta, who are players who will use more top spin on shots. Bartoli loves the pace and to go on defending left and right using the other players shots to create her own pace.

Bartoli is technically superior than Ana nowadays, I agree. I was saying that other players reaching the QFs, like Paszek aren't all that superior. Ana just can't cope mentally at all, and that is the most important thing there is. If you can't cope mentally, there is no way your game will show up.

jelenacg
Jun 27th, 2011, 03:59 PM
I have to say i really like Wimbledon so far :bounce: Many interesting and good matches,especially from womans part :eek:
Serena losing today wasn`t a surprise.After everything she has been through to come back and reach 4R is impressive :worship::worship:
Mens tournament is so borring to me ...I already see another Rafa-Fed final :yawn:
Murray is playing well,he was very good today but i`m not sure he can do more than a SF

Venus outfit :facepalm:

Linguae^
Jun 27th, 2011, 04:09 PM
Novak will reach the finals, so don't mind. :oh:

InsideOut.
Jun 27th, 2011, 05:04 PM
Serena losing :shrug:
Venus losing :facepalm:
Wozniacki losing :oh:

jelenacg
Jun 27th, 2011, 05:14 PM
Serena losing :shrug:
Venus losing :facepalm:
Wozniacki losing :oh:

:spit:
Such good resuts at GS for the #1

HowardH
Jun 27th, 2011, 07:39 PM
Situation normal for Caro. She needs to hope no one with any power plays their best against her for her to have a chance of getting a slam. But it's much more likely for someone to really bring it against her in slam, everyone tries harder in a slam after all so part of her advantage is diminished right there. And one out of her potential seven opponents will probably hit form and have a good enough winner+"Forced error from Caro" vs UE ratio.

As I predicted in other posts- http://www.tennisforum.com/showpost.php?p=19624146&postcount=3252 - it will be more a gradual understanding among more players of how to at least give themselves a 50-50 shot to beat Caro that will eventually get to her. She's a stepping stone- a new phenomenon on the wta, a genuinely consistent player. She's the catalyst to begin to take the women from the hit and miss stage towards the ability to attack for long periods of time.

I would say her window to win a slam is closing fast, despite her age. She probably has at max 1-2 more years before too many people improve and figure out how to play her. A number of players will be able to beat her in slams, and even more will have sizeable chances against her even if they are underdogs. Anyway, she will never be in control of her matches against aggressive players. Best chances for her to win a slam are probably this coming USO and next year's USO.

Wimb is so open now.

Btw did I mention Dementieva was an fool for retiring when she did, with the kind of form she had too? Because she was. This is the most open time to get a slam in the last 15 years.

gaviotabr
Jun 27th, 2011, 10:41 PM
Situation normal for Caro. She needs to hope no one with any power plays their best against her for her to have a chance of getting a slam. But it's much more likely for someone to really bring it against her in slam, everyone tries harder in a slam after all so part of her advantage is diminished right there. And one out of her potential seven opponents will probably hit form and have a good enough winner+"Forced error from Caro" vs UE ratio.

As I predicted in other posts- http://www.tennisforum.com/showpost.php?p=19624146&postcount=3252 - it will be more a gradual understanding among more players of how to at least give themselves a 50-50 shot to beat Caro that will eventually get to her. She's a stepping stone- a new phenomenon on the wta, a genuinely consistent player. She's the catalyst to begin to take the women from the hit and miss stage towards the ability to attack for long periods of time.

I would say her window to win a slam is closing fast, despite her age. She probably has at max 1-2 more years before too many people improve and figure out how to play her. A number of players will be able to beat her in slams, and even more will have sizeable chances against her even if they are underdogs. Anyway, she will never be in control of her matches against aggressive players. Best chances for her to win a slam are probably this coming USO and next year's USO.

Wimb is so open now.

Btw did I mention Dementieva was an fool for retiring when she did, with the kind of form she had too? Because she was. This is the most open time to get a slam in the last 15 years.

I was thinking about this the other day. Dementieva was fairly consistent.. she really could have such a big chance of finally getting a slam this year. She retired at least a year too early.

Cajka
Jun 27th, 2011, 10:49 PM

Wimb is so open now.

There was a time a thought that Caro will improve her game and have a great career. But, now... WTF is she doing, look at her schedule, clay event after W, indoor event before W. I still think that she has some chances at USO since it's her best surface, but still... She can lose to any top 30 player adn there will be 5 players who already won it. Serena will recover completely, Masha plays better this year, Kim has a time to recover (but I don't think she's contender), Venus could be a contender (but I doubt it), Sveta is unpredictable. Fran is dangerous, Sabine is dangerous, Li is dangerous... Too many players who can overpower and outplay her. Look at the slams this year, she wasn't a fav at any of them.

I agree about Elena. And I must say I really miss her and I wasn't even a fan. too bad that kworb didn't retire when she did.

gaviotabr
Jun 27th, 2011, 10:55 PM
I agree about Elena. And I must say I really miss her and I wasn't even a fan. too bad that kworb didn't retire when she did.

I caught myself thinking just that the other day. I wasn't a Dementieva fan, but I've often missed her this year.

jelenacg
Jun 27th, 2011, 11:23 PM
The big problem for Caro is that on court coaching is not allowed at GS :oh:
I`ve been laughing at this whole day "We are turkish airlines we are globaly slamless" :rolls:

Cajka
Jun 27th, 2011, 11:38 PM
I caught myself thinking just that the other day. I wasn't a Dementieva fan, but I've often missed her this year.

For the moment I thought that you were sorry that kworb didn't retire. :lol:

gaviotabr
Jun 27th, 2011, 11:47 PM
For the moment I thought that you were sorry that kworb didn't retire. :lol:

I'm definitely with you on that one! :lol:

gaviotabr
Jun 27th, 2011, 11:48 PM
The big problem for Caro is that on court coaching is not allowed at GS :oh:
I`ve been laughing at this whole day "We are turkish airlines we are globaly slamless" :rolls:

It's amazing how many times that add goes up on Eurosport.. every single commercial break.. :sobbing:

Cajka
Jun 27th, 2011, 11:51 PM
It's amazing how many times that add goes up on Eurosport.. every single commercial break.. :sobbing:

Not to mention that the commercial is hideous and ridiculous.

jelenacg
Jun 28th, 2011, 12:10 AM

I told you before ,ES is killing us :sobbing:
The worst part is that that song is really catchy .
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yyf30z_yDZY
They had Barca last year but i guess they were too expensive so we are stuck with Caro :sobbing:

currie84
Jun 28th, 2011, 12:27 AM
I don't see how Dementieva would be a contender this year.to me it was obvious she was declinin last season,no coincidence Ana finally beat her twice!her best showing was in RG where she beat the likes of Scheeprs,Wozniak and an injured Petrova.In the other slams she crashed out early.Her best chance for snatching a slam was in 2008-09,but still with such a weak serve,i'd never bet any money on it.

VALUNA
Jun 28th, 2011, 12:53 PM
tnx god :

"I'm excited and optimistic about the summer," said Ana. "I'm close to appointing a new coaching team and I'm looking forward to a lot of hard work in the coming weeks."

Cajka
Jun 28th, 2011, 01:00 PM
tnx god :

"I'm excited and optimistic about the summer," said Ana. "I'm close to appointing a new coaching team and I'm looking forward to a lot of hard work in the coming weeks."

:woohoo::woohoo::woohoo:

gaviotabr
Jun 28th, 2011, 02:33 PM
tnx god :

Nice to read! :yeah:

She says coaching team... mmm... I wonder if apart from the coach she will get a trainer and a physio. That would be a coaching team, right?

VALUNA
Jun 28th, 2011, 02:38 PM
Navratilova may be in the team :)

gaviotabr
Jun 28th, 2011, 02:38 PM

Wimb is so open now.

About Caro.. she is getting heat in the danish press today for lack of courage in slam matches. It's an interesting point.. We all know Caro's game is based on relentless defense and that she is likely to meet an inspired attacking player who will take her out in a slam. But would she be able to perform at a high level going for the attack? That's what it seemed to me the danish press was asking for, but I'm not sure she would be able to. I mean... Caro is a relatively tall, strong girl.. she can do attacking tennis. But I'm really not sure she could do it consistently, even if she applied herself to do it, simply because that is not her game and she is not comfortable with it. :shrug:

gaviotabr
Jun 28th, 2011, 02:40 PM
Navratilova may be in the team :)

Navratilova? Really? Why do you say so? Where did you get that from?

VALUNA
Jun 28th, 2011, 02:44 PM
we'll see, maybe they just rumors......

gaviotabr
Jun 28th, 2011, 02:48 PM
we'll see, maybe they just rumors......

Probably.. but where do you get those rumors from? Did you read somewhere or did you just think of it for some reason? Even rumors have some sort of origin.

gaviotabr
Jun 28th, 2011, 02:56 PM
I don't see how Dementieva would be a contender this year.to me it was obvious she was declinin last season,no coincidence Ana finally beat her twice!her best showing was in RG where she beat the likes of Scheeprs,Wozniak and an injured Petrova.In the other slams she crashed out early.Her best chance for snatching a slam was in 2008-09,but still with such a weak serve,i'd never bet any money on it.

Maybe... But I'm sure she would have a fair share of chances. Dementieva only lost early in slams last year due to bad luck of the draw or some deal of choking. She lost to an inspired Henin at AO. AO was definitely Henin's last good slam... the best she played in her comeback. Then she probably should've won RG, but had to retire injured. She didn't play Wimbledon due to the injury. Then at the USO she lost a match she should've won to Stosur, wasting MPs and all. I think especially at RG she would've had a good chance.

gaviotabr
Jun 28th, 2011, 03:13 PM
Bartoli is indeed showing herself to be quite the mental giant. Saves 3 MPs to take the match against Lisicki to a 3rd set.

Sabine did get shakey there on those MPs.

gaviotabr
Jun 28th, 2011, 03:58 PM
Bartoli is indeed showing herself to be quite the mental giant. Saves 3 MPs to take the match against Lisicki to a 3rd set.

Sabine did get shakey there on those MPs.

Sabine wins in the end. Showed character losing the MPs and coming back strong in the 3rd. Bartoli looked quite exhausted, but I thought Sabine outplayed her the whole match. She was really able to expose Bartoli's weaknesses, hitting behind her all the time and disrupting rhythm with drop shots. Marion loves to run from side ot side retrieving high paced shots, but she doesn't deal well with shots coming behind her and she has more trouble moving fowards.

Lisicki in the Wimbledon semis! Who would have thought that at the beginning of the year?

gaviotabr
Jun 28th, 2011, 04:08 PM
Is anyone else amazed at Cibulkova's ability to bash the ball being so short? :spit:

InsideOut.
Jun 28th, 2011, 04:14 PM
Nice to read! :yeah:

She says coaching team... mmm... I wonder if apart from the coach she will get a trainer and a physio. That would be a coaching team, right?

Maybe a nutritionist too? A mother on board would be nice too. And a serve coach. And cheerleaders with pom-poms. And Sergei Demekhine. So that at least we'll have something good to look at when she's losing. :cheer:

InsideOut.
Jun 28th, 2011, 04:16 PM
Maybe... But I'm sure she would have a fair share of chances. Dementieva only lost early in slams last year due to bad luck of the draw or some deal of choking. She lost to an inspired Henin at AO. AO was definitely Henin's last good slam... the best she played in her comeback. Then she probably should've won RG, but had to retire injured. She didn't play Wimbledon due to the injury. Then at the USO she lost a match she should've won to Stosur, wasting MPs and all. I think especially at RG she would've had a good chance.

I think Dementieva retired because she was tired after all these years on tour, mentally especially. Physically she could still do it but there's not much you can do when your heart isn't all there. Ana has shown that to us in the past, and JJ is showing that now. :shrug: Bless Elena, I think it's better that she won the Olympics and not any Slam so that she can be remembered as one of the best players never to have won a Slam and as an Olympic champion, rather than a one-slam wonder with half a serve.

gaviotabr
Jun 28th, 2011, 04:18 PM
I think Dementieva retired because she was tired after all these years on tour, mentally especially. Physically she could still do it but there's not much you can do when your heart isn't all there. Ana has shown that to us in the past, and JJ is showing that now. :shrug: Bless Elena, I think it's better that she won the Olympics and not any Slam so that she can be remembered as one of the best players never to have won a Slam and as an Olympic champion, rather than a one-slam wonder with half a serve.

Yeah, you are probably right. It's definitely tough to do anything when your heart is not there.

gaviotabr
Jun 28th, 2011, 04:20 PM
Maybe a nutritionist too? A mother on board would be nice too. And a serve coach. And cheerleaders with pom-poms. And Sergei Demekhine. So that at least we'll have something good to look at when she's losing. :cheer:

A nutritionist could be a good idea. I don't think her mom will be back though.

:lol: all the rest.

fANAtic
Jun 28th, 2011, 06:48 PM
A nutritionist could be a good idea. I don't think her mom will be back though.

:lol: all the rest.
Why did she fire her mom?

InsideOut.
Jun 28th, 2011, 06:52 PM
Why did she fire her mom?

She wanted to change her bedtime and Ana doesn't like change.

InsideOut.
Jun 28th, 2011, 06:58 PM
Probably.. but where do you get those rumors from? Did you read somewhere or did you just think of it for some reason? Even rumors have some sort of origin.

From Twitter (@thelettuce):
Martina Navratilova and Ana Ivanovic looking particularly nice in a red dress, spotted so far this morning.

fANAtic
Jun 28th, 2011, 07:10 PM
Navratilova is one of the GOATS, but I'm not too crazy about her potential involvement in Ana's team.

gaviotabr
Jun 28th, 2011, 07:43 PM
From Twitter (@thelettuce):

Thanks. I had seen it before.. but why does this have to do with Ana appointing a new coaching team? I thought it was just that this guy had seen Navratilova and Ana at Wimbledon.. not necessarely together..

gaviotabr
Jun 28th, 2011, 09:31 PM
Wimbledon semis are now set.

Sharapova x Lisicki.

Vika x Kvitova.

Who is everyone's bet for the title?

I'm really not sure.. anyone could win it.

18majors
Jun 28th, 2011, 09:32 PM
How about Maria?

18majors
Jun 28th, 2011, 09:34 PM
I always consider Maria and Ana are the only peers in women tennis, in terms of talents and attractiveness.

DAVAJ MKirilenko
Jun 28th, 2011, 09:35 PM
The sisters are not really there lately so time for others to win slams.
Jankovic, Safina and Wozniacki being all nr 1 but not won a slam. Now Schiavone and Li already won a slam in the meantime. If Sharapova doesn't win Wimbledon we get another slam winner.
Wozniacki has still many slams to go, but the longer it takes maybe the harder it will be.
Hardcourt is her best shot so I'm scared of US Open.

InsideOut.
Jun 29th, 2011, 05:46 AM
I think it'll be a Sharapova-Kvitova final and Petra will win it :cheer:

HowardH
Jun 29th, 2011, 06:56 AM
All four have a chance of taking the title, but yes, I also think it will be Masha and Petra in the final. Not sure who wins it, but I would go with Masha.

VALUNA
Jun 29th, 2011, 11:26 AM
Olivier Morrel has been removed from Anas website!

restitution has begun :)

18majors
Jun 29th, 2011, 01:18 PM
Ana on Facebook:

The past month or so has been pretty intense and now I’m going to enjoy a week off. It’s important to recharge before my training for the hard courts begins. When I return from my holiday I hope to be a lot closer to appointing a new coaching team and I’ll let you know about that soon!

gaviotabr
Jun 29th, 2011, 04:10 PM
Olivier Morrel has been removed from Anas website!

restitution has begun :)

Mmm.. So it's going to be a whole new team. Start from scratch. That can actually be very good.. maybe the new coach can ensemble a team in which all will work well together and with the same plan. We've seen Ana have some contradictory ideas within the team in the past (Marija and AVG, for an example), which I'm sure didn't help.

Ana on Facebook:

The past month or so has been pretty intense and now I’m going to enjoy a week off. It’s important to recharge before my training for the hard courts begins. When I return from my holiday I hope to be a lot closer to appointing a new coaching team and I’ll let you know about that soon!

Nice. I hope she has a good relaxing week and comes back strong and recharged. Hopefully she indeed gets the coaching team set up and ready to work hard this july.

gaviotabr
Jun 29th, 2011, 04:11 PM
I think it'll be a Sharapova-Kvitova final and Petra will win it :cheer:

If Petra wins it, I'll totally take credit for my premonitory dream. :lol:

Ivanovic2008
Jun 29th, 2011, 04:25 PM
Fed lost :sad:

Cajka
Jun 29th, 2011, 04:31 PM
Fed lost :sad:

Is that some new sentence in your sig? :p Directed to kworb? :p

doni1212
Jun 29th, 2011, 05:01 PM
The sisters are not really there lately so time for others to win slams.
Jankovic, Safina and Wozniacki being all nr 1 but not won a slam. Now Schiavone and Li already won a slam in the meantime. If Sharapova doesn't win Wimbledon we get another slam winner.
Wozniacki has still many slams to go, but the longer it takes maybe the harder it will be.
Hardcourt is her best shot so I'm scared of US Open.

I kind of was too but then I thought about it realistically. Serena will have matchplay and will be ready for the Open. Kim will be back. Venus will hopefully be back to normal. Maria will be tough to beat. And then these young guns with firepower will be there like Sabine, Vika and Petra. Then we have the new slam winning vets like Na Li and Fran and the older slam winning vets like Sveta so she once again I doubt CW will be the favorite. I see her losing around the 4R/QF depending on the draw. And SWEAR, she better not get ANOTHER cakewalk to the semis like she has for the past 2 years (besides the Sharapova match).

DAVAJ MKirilenko
Jun 29th, 2011, 08:33 PM
I kind of was too but then I thought about it realistically. Serena will have matchplay and will be ready for the Open. Kim will be back. Venus will hopefully be back to normal. Maria will be tough to beat. And then these young guns with firepower will be there like Sabine, Vika and Petra. Then we have the new slam winning vets like Na Li and Fran and the older slam winning vets like Sveta so she once again I doubt CW will be the favorite. I see her losing around the 4R/QF depending on the draw. And SWEAR, she better not get ANOTHER cakewalk to the semis like she has for the past 2 years (besides the Sharapova match).

I'm not so sure about Venus and Serena. Who knows how many tournaments they will play till US Open.
And they get older as well. And Kim is a big ? as well. RG was awful and again she's injured.
Sharapova looks back indeed and it's nice that others getting stronger as well.
Would be SO nice if Caro never wins a slam.

18majors
Jun 29th, 2011, 08:34 PM
^Is this Ana's board?

doni1212
Jun 30th, 2011, 01:26 PM
I'm not so sure about Venus and Serena. Who knows how many tournaments they will play till US Open.
And they get older as well. And Kim is a big ? as well. RG was awful and again she's injured.
Sharapova looks back indeed and it's nice that others getting stronger as well.
Would be SO nice if Caro never wins a slam.

I agree. That would make me so happy, :lol:
And I would love it if Maria or whoever wins Wimbledon takes that #1 ranking by the end of the year!

^Is this Ana's board?

Is this the General Tennis Discussion Thread?! :rolleyes:

Ivanovic2008
Jun 30th, 2011, 03:16 PM
^Is this Ana's board?

Look at the thread title :rolleyes:

gaviotabr
Jul 1st, 2011, 04:36 PM
Congrats Novak! New world number 1. :)

gloria7
Jul 1st, 2011, 09:46 PM
Congrats Nole! I will never forget this day. Thank you!

gaviotabr
Jul 2nd, 2011, 04:00 PM
I dreamt this night that Kvitova won Wimbledon and Vika won the USO. And then all players would have a meetting and Caro was crying to her dad: "Dad, why can everyone have slams but me? :sobbing:"

:hysteric:

Hey.. I'm totally taking credit for my premonitory dream. :lol: I guess I do have powers after all! :spit:

Vika can be happy.. USO is waiting for her. :lol:

By the way, this (http://www.tennisforum.com/showpost.php?p=19681169&postcount=3401) was originally posted on June 6th.

gaviotabr
Jul 2nd, 2011, 04:06 PM
Kvitova can be such an amazing player. When she is good, she is unplayable.

The final was a bit iffy though, because of Sharapova's serving woos. She could've played better. Kvitova definitely deserved the title though.. she was hitting winners left and right, and kept composure throughout. :yeah:

InsideOut.
Jul 2nd, 2011, 05:07 PM
Still, it wasn't that far-fetched a dream. I predicted the outcome. :oh:

The 2nd Law
Jul 3rd, 2011, 12:37 PM
Same :p

Kvitova just has that aura. I saw her live at the AO and you just knew she's going to break through pretty soon.

Davodus
Jul 3rd, 2011, 12:49 PM
Hey.. I'm totally taking credit for my premonitory dream. :lol: I guess I do have powers after all! :spit:

Vika can be happy.. USO is waiting for her. :lol:

By the way, this (http://www.tennisforum.com/showpost.php?p=19681169&postcount=3401) was originally posted on June 6th.

We all knew you had powers...you are controlling the tour :worship:

18majors
Jul 3rd, 2011, 01:52 PM
Vika could win US Open some other years. Either Ana or Maria will win 2011.

gaviotabr
Jul 3rd, 2011, 01:54 PM
We all knew you had powers...you are controlling the tour :worship:

Of course! :lol:

gaviotabr
Jul 3rd, 2011, 02:04 PM
Still, it wasn't that far-fetched a dream. I predicted the outcome. :oh:

Same :p

Kvitova just has that aura. I saw her live at the AO and you just knew she's going to break through pretty soon.

I was just gloating and joking with the gloating. :lol:

Petra really was one of the top contenders from the start.. and she played a great tournament. Her game is quite something to see when it's clicking, like at this Wimbledon. She moves well for her size, hits beautiful winners from both sides, has a good serve. It's a slam champion's game for sure. I've been reading the articles on her win, because most mention Ana. And it's being threated as the first relevant slam win since Ana in terms of the future of the tour. Like the younger generation finally breaking through. It does also mention though, that as Ana proved, dealing with a first slam win isn't easy and potential for many more doesn't always materialize. :sobbing: I was impressed with Petra's composure, so I think I would bet in more slams in the future for her.

gaviotabr
Jul 3rd, 2011, 05:25 PM
Novak Djokovic. Amazeballs. :worship:

Rub some of that on Ana Nole! :lol:

Davodus
Jul 3rd, 2011, 05:37 PM
He really is outstanding this year. To be 5-0 against Nadal in finals is...ridiculous.

18majors
Jul 3rd, 2011, 08:03 PM
^May be Nadal isn't as good as we thought.

jelenacg
Jul 3rd, 2011, 08:46 PM
Wow Novak :worship::worship: This is unbelievable :speakles:
If i could bet on what title Novak would never win ,it would have been Wimbledon :spit::lol:
Tomorrow evening will be crazy in Belgrade :aparty::aparty:

Rafa :hug: He is also having a good year so far,maybe not a great bc of Novak but still so many finals reached and a RG title :)
Masha :hug: What a shit begining of the year ,similar to Ana`s and just look how she managed to turn it around .Didn`t win a title yesterday but what a great past couple of months .If only Ana...
Kvitova,i`m impressed well done :worship:

The 2nd Law
Jul 4th, 2011, 08:25 AM
So good to see this happening to Nadal like it happened to Fed :p

Novak you are amazing :worship:

gaviotabr
Jul 4th, 2011, 10:22 PM
So good to see this happening to Nadal like it happened to Fed :p

Novak you are amazing :worship:

It is sort of what happened with Fed when Nadal came up. Novak knows exactly what to do to get Rafa as far away from his comfort zone as posible, and that takes him out of his mind as well.

Novak's season so far is something I don't think we will see happening for quite some time again. Truly amazing.

18majors
Jul 4th, 2011, 11:06 PM
A single year slam if Federer didn't spoil the fun.

Cajka
Jul 15th, 2011, 09:33 PM
http://www.wtatennis.com/news/20110715/alisas-message_2256076_2393558 So sad! :sad:

VALUNA
Jul 16th, 2011, 05:15 PM
Ana Ivanovic (fb)
My thought are with Alisa Kleybanova after finding out that she’s been diagnosed with cancer. Like all the other girls on the Tour, I was so shocked and very saddened to hear it. Alisa is a lovely person and I really wish her the very best in her fight with this illness. It really puts into perspective everything that we do on the court and shows that there is nothing more important than your health, and the health of your family and friends.

18majors
Jul 17th, 2011, 12:06 AM
^Well said.

gaviotabr
Jul 17th, 2011, 05:18 PM
Kleybanova's interview to Tennis Channel:

http://www.tennischannel.com/news/NewsDetails.aspx?newsid=9478#ooid=JyZ21uMjr72SdkwO ee4EO9NBw-56eye-

It's really so sad.. I wish her all the best in this battle and I'm pretty confident she will come out of this stronger.

azdaja
Aug 9th, 2011, 08:35 AM
bumoing this thread in order to move away from the sad topic last mentioned here and to remind people that this thread was created so we can talk about other players and tennis in general here and not in tournaments threads :p even if the player in question is ana 2.0 ;)

so what happened? julia adopted ana's grunt?

Davodus
Aug 9th, 2011, 09:41 AM
Her grunt definitely sounds like Ana's now :lol: I always find it strange when players grunts change, I don't really know why.

Cajka
Aug 9th, 2011, 10:52 AM
bumoing this thread in order to move away from the sad topic last mentioned here and to remind people that this thread was created so we can talk about other players and tennis in general here and not in tournaments threads :p even if the player in question is ana 2.0 ;)

so what happened? julia adopted ana's grunt?

A-hi-ha only with different voice, fistpumping on UEs, similar bouncing, serve, forehand, I think that they even look a bit similar. :lol:

azdaja
Aug 9th, 2011, 11:34 AM
i gotta hear and see that :drool: perhaps it got into jj's head, she's used to losing to a player with a grunt like that :devil:

just kidding, i expected this result :shrug: i'm not even too surprised by the scoreline.

Shinjiro
Aug 9th, 2011, 11:52 AM
Good bump :D didn't notice the grunting as I watched and listened to music at the same time. I'll be paying more attention tomorrow. :yeah:

^May be Nadal isn't as good as we thought.yeah.... probably isn't as good as you thought.

Cajka
Aug 9th, 2011, 11:52 AM
I'm very disappointed. Unfortunately, tennis definitely isn't her priority anymore. Bad forehand, wrong shot selection, amateurish volleys, poor footwork... Some of the best things in JJ's tennis are her brain, speed, anticipation and it's all gone. She looked like she didn't train at all, but she says that she trained for 3 weeks. She slumps terribly and she doesn't even have a coach. I can't even be angry or sad, I'm more disappointed. And I like Julia, have nothing against her. It's been like this for a while, first decent opponent and she's out. :shrug:

Linguae^
Aug 9th, 2011, 03:58 PM
She's been a different player for a while.

Cajka
Aug 9th, 2011, 04:55 PM
She's been a different player for a while.

I will never accept it, although it's obvious. Ana's slump is different 'cause you can see that she cares about it and JJ... She was laughing after some amateurish smashes. Of course, JJ's smashes were never as good as Serena's or Ana's (just like serve), but that sh*t yesterday was just... :tape: And she was laughing. OK, first time when she had awful net approach, maybe it was funny, but later it became frustrating.

azdaja
Aug 10th, 2011, 09:00 AM
wtf is with all the retirements (including venus) and the exodus of the seeds? :unsure:

however :hah: at murray, sorry for his fans, but he is and always will be a mug :oh:

Cajka
Aug 10th, 2011, 11:39 AM
wtf is with all the retirements (including venus) and the exodus of the seeds? :unsure:

however :hah: at murray, sorry for his fans, but he is and always will be a mug :oh:

Aždajo, you are seljačina. :ras: :devil:

azdaja
Aug 11th, 2011, 08:52 AM
Aždajo, you are seljačina. :ras: :devil:
:angel:

omg, and now nadal lost to dodig :eek: wtf is happening over there? i mean, i'm not surprised by murray and i actually had the feeling caro would lose, but this was a shocking result.

can we just blame it on canada? :unsure:

Cajka
Aug 11th, 2011, 01:25 PM

omg, and now nadal lost to dodig :eek: wtf is happening over there? i mean, i'm not surprised by murray and i actually had the feeling caro would lose, but this was a shocking result.

Novak was a mess in first set against Nikolay.

gaviotabr
Aug 11th, 2011, 02:07 PM
I have to be the very last person to know this.. but why would Lucie and Tomas break up? They were meant to be together! :sobbing:

azdaja
Aug 11th, 2011, 02:17 PM
Novak was a mess in first set against Nikolay.
it's understandable, it was his first set since wimbledon. he won, however, just like fed.

jelenacg
Aug 11th, 2011, 02:24 PM

Apparently Dodig was playing great :shrug: I think all those loses against Novak hurt him .But i`m sure Rafa will recover just like Novak recovered after so many bad loses against him

I have to be the very last person to know this.. but why would Lucie and Tomas break up? They were meant to be together! :sobbing:

I read they are still friends ,so maybe it`s just a phase and they`ll get back together

The 2nd Law
Aug 11th, 2011, 02:32 PM

I didn't know it until I read this post :lol:

Davodus
Aug 11th, 2011, 02:39 PM

:bigcry: :bigcry: :bigcry:

I haven't been coping very well with it tbh :lol: :sobbing:

Wert.
Aug 11th, 2011, 02:48 PM
They broke up few months ago :oh:

Cajka
Aug 11th, 2011, 05:11 PM

What? :sobbing:

What happened? Is that the reason of his slump?

DefyingGravity
Aug 11th, 2011, 05:58 PM
This tournament is just crazy. It's crazier than the slams, it's almost Madrid crazy.

azdaja
Aug 11th, 2011, 06:15 PM
yeah, this tournament is epic :lol:

azdaja
Aug 12th, 2011, 09:24 AM
yeah, this tournament is epic :lol:
and it continues :rocker2:

federer lost, people who beat murray and nadal also lost giving the 2 a very good chnce of winning the wooden spoon at this tournament :rocker2:

sharapova lost and so did vera, na and petra. well, for me it's not that petra lost, it's that andrea won :woohoo: but petra was so shit (i was unfortunate to watch that match) it wasn't even funny :facepalm:

i want andrea and serena in the final :armed:

azdaja
Aug 14th, 2011, 09:29 AM
congratulations to novak djokovic and serena williams on their rogers cup 2011 titles :D fish and stosur :hug: (no i don't want to wait for this to happen, it would take a major miracle to have a different outcome)

jelenacg
Aug 14th, 2011, 11:31 PM
congratulations to novak djokovic and serena williams on their rogers cup 2011 titles :D fish and stosur :hug: (no i don't want to wait for this to happen, it would take a major miracle to have a different outcome)

You were right :angel:
Well done to Nole and Serena .I still can`t beleive Serena just returned and already she started winning everything :spit:

Caro`s boyfriend is a golfer :rolls:
Adidas,Sven,Rolex,Yonex,Verdasco... and now golfer .Way to many similarities for my taste

DefyingGravity
Aug 15th, 2011, 02:05 AM
What's upsetting to me is that while Serena is my #2 favourite, almost every other of my current faves is a complete basket case. Just can't hold up mentally. Venus, Maria, Ana, Kim...just can choke away some matches boy...phew. Daniela, Jie, Sabine, Vera, Dementieva, Davenport, and Mauresmo aren't any better :lol:.

And it's not just women's tennis either: Sasha Cohen, the American figure skater, Stan Wawrinka...Andy Murray...crazy. Just crazy.

azdaja
Aug 15th, 2011, 10:21 AM
You were right :angel:
Well done to Nole and Serena .I still can`t beleive Serena just returned and already she started winning everything :spit:
nid. and how can anyone claim that wta is as strong as ever is beyond me.

btw, janko is an even bigger mug than murray.

Adidas,Sven,Rolex,Yonex,Verdasco... and now golfer .Way to many similarities for my taste
i know people are joking about this, but it's all coincidence.

Cp6uja
Aug 15th, 2011, 07:03 PM
But You must to give Caro big credit at least for choosing to follow perfect role model :shrug:

The 2nd Law
Aug 16th, 2011, 04:46 AM
But You must to give Caro big credit at least for choosing to follow perfect role model :shrug:

Exactly, smart girl knows who to copy.

gaviotabr
Aug 16th, 2011, 09:35 PM
Is Serena really choking like crazy against Hradecka? :spit:

gaviotabr
Aug 16th, 2011, 09:42 PM
Serena is all moody.. :spit:

gaviotabr
Aug 16th, 2011, 09:51 PM
Hradecka bottled it in the end. :lol:

Serena isn't happy. She looks all pissed with herself.

gaviotabr
Aug 16th, 2011, 09:57 PM
Who thinks Serena is going to tank this tournament? :spit: Lifts hand!

gaviotabr
Aug 16th, 2011, 10:02 PM
It seems JJ is back with Ricardo Sanchez. That should be good to her.

jonnyroyale_13
Aug 17th, 2011, 04:04 AM
Who thinks Serena is going to tank this tournament? :spit: Lifts hand!

Saw Stosur today and she was impressive. Then again it was Daniliidou. But Ill predict Stosur gets through Serena:wavey:

I was wondering about that, saw he and JJ's mom were sitting together at the Zheng/Goerges match on Monday.

Made a whole bunch of videos from some of the untelevised matches especially from court 9(the old court 3) if anyone wants to check them out. Anyone can feel free to repost them wherever.
While Kirilenko's match was going, Ana was practicing about 60 yards away off to the right and i could watch both at the same time. Ana was working on her serve, mustve hit at least 200 of them. Too many people in the way though to try and take some video of that.

from Monday
1st Rd - Chanelle Scheepers Vs Rebecca Marino
Set 1 game 8- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMghh0QzdBU
Set 1 game 12- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v7aOhRQGLKw
Set 2 game 3- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6FSDHIkyWs

1st Rd - Jie Zheng vs Julia Goerges
Set1 game 4- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_ohVu7lFkk
Set2 game 2- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yk_eISbp-OY
Set3 game 6- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gv5u5YvjOA0
Set3 game 10 from 15-0 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=puXwbK2V67o

from today
1st Rd - Flavia Pennetta Vs Anastasia Pavlyuchenkova
Set 1 Game 7 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HXLA9LZbBR0
Set 3 game 8 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TYpR__3mb1E
Set 3 game 9 matchpt only - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pvGa6phGPj4

1st Rd - Maria Kirilenko Vs Shuai Zhang
Set 1 tiebreak from 5-1 to end - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=471tydP52Ck
Set 2 Game 5 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=04ttnQb38tI
Set 2 Game 9 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3CrpZA5krQ

1st Rd - Sam Stosur Vs Eleni Daniilidou
Set 1 Game 9 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dDQ5mSRjh84
Set 2 Game 4 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a2RMTro0drY
Set 2 Game 7 matchpoint - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nFyDfMq4-0g

Davodus
Aug 17th, 2011, 04:26 AM

These two :o perfectly suited to eachother

HowardH
Aug 17th, 2011, 06:16 PM
From my post on Jun 28.

Wimb is so open now.

The situation I predicted in the bolded part has come to fruition. Caro will probably never win a major, but given some luck she still has a small window before a very large number of players begin to have good chances against her. The window is closing very fast, as we can see, however. About 20 players in the top 100 can now beat her. Maybe this is too conservative an estimate.

I wonder though if Ana, given her problems, could do it? At this moment, I still doubt it, but if there was ever a time to beat Caro, it's now.

Ana's game could and should do it, but she might end up playing like an idiot against Caro. Fortunately, it seems the other wta players are going to help take Caro out from now on.

gaviotabr
Aug 17th, 2011, 10:00 PM
From my post on Jun 28.

The situation I predicted in the bolded part has come to fruition. Caro will probably never win a major, but given some luck she still has a small window before a very large number of players begin to have good chances against her. The window is closing very fast, as we can see, however. About 20 players in the top 100 can now beat her. Maybe this is too conservative an estimate.

I wonder though if Ana, given her problems, could do it? At this moment, I still doubt it, but if there was ever a time to beat Caro, it's now.

Ana's game could and should do it, but she might end up playing like an idiot against Caro. Fortunately, it seems the other wta players are going to help take Caro out from now on.

Caro's problem now is that she decided to mimic Ana's mistakes as well. Golfer boyfriend = slump.

marineblue
Aug 18th, 2011, 10:12 AM
Hopefully not. Although she seemed to be so not bothered by the last loss. She has been the hunted one for 44 weeks so obviously other players are studying her game and try to work out the strategies to beat her. On a positive note losing early gives her more time to think about what parts of her game are not working anymore and what needs to be changed.

gaviotabr
Aug 18th, 2011, 11:15 AM
Hopefully not. Although she seemed to be so not bothered by the last loss. She has been the hunted one for 44 weeks so obviously other players are studying her game and try to work out the strategies to beat her. On a positive note losing early gives her more time to think about what parts of her game are not working anymore and what needs to be changed.

Oh.. the Caro fan... You know it doesn't work that way. :shrug:

gaviotabr
Aug 18th, 2011, 11:19 AM
Saw Stosur today and she was impressive. Then again it was Daniliidou. But Ill predict Stosur gets through Serena:wavey:

I was wondering about that, saw he and JJ's mom were sitting together at the Zheng/Goerges match on Monday.

Made a whole bunch of videos from some of the untelevised matches especially from court 9(the old court 3) if anyone wants to check them out. Anyone can feel free to repost them wherever.
While Kirilenko's match was going, Ana was practicing about 60 yards away off to the right and i could watch both at the same time. Ana was working on her serve, mustve hit at least 200 of them. Too many people in the way though to try and take some video of that.

from Monday
1st Rd - Chanelle Scheepers Vs Rebecca Marino
Set 1 game 8- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMghh0QzdBU
Set 1 game 12- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v7aOhRQGLKw
Set 2 game 3- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6FSDHIkyWs

1st Rd - Jie Zheng vs Julia Goerges
Set1 game 4- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_ohVu7lFkk
Set2 game 2- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yk_eISbp-OY
Set3 game 6- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gv5u5YvjOA0
Set3 game 10 from 15-0 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=puXwbK2V67o

from today
1st Rd - Flavia Pennetta Vs Anastasia Pavlyuchenkova
Set 1 Game 7 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HXLA9LZbBR0
Set 3 game 8 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TYpR__3mb1E
Set 3 game 9 matchpt only - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pvGa6phGPj4

1st Rd - Maria Kirilenko Vs Shuai Zhang
Set 1 tiebreak from 5-1 to end - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=471tydP52Ck
Set 2 Game 5 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=04ttnQb38tI
Set 2 Game 9 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3CrpZA5krQ

1st Rd - Sam Stosur Vs Eleni Daniilidou
Set 1 Game 9 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dDQ5mSRjh84
Set 2 Game 4 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a2RMTro0drY
Set 2 Game 7 matchpoint - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nFyDfMq4-0g

Nice videos Jonny!

I'm sorry you had to watch Ana's terror fest yesterday. :facepalm:

You say she was working on her serve, and I've seen pics of her hitting serves while on her knees and other technical exercises. It got me worried... and Ana's serve was dreadful in yesterday's match. I'm all for Ana hitting 200 serves.. but every single time she went on to do very technical exercises for her serve, it got noticiably worse. See Sven and the metal balls, Van Grichen and the sort of pillows, now Nigel and hitting on her knees. I've come to think for a while now that Ana doesn't go well at all with too technical coaches.. she needs someone who will make things as simple and straightfoward as posible for her, not someone who will get her to think about more details and technicalities.

azdaja
Aug 19th, 2011, 09:15 PM
wtf is wrong with nadull? :unsure:

fed also lost the first set :unsure:

gaviotabr
Aug 19th, 2011, 10:51 PM
Kim's last good match was against Ana in Miami. Now she probably won't play again until 2012. :tape:

doni1212
Aug 21st, 2011, 09:23 PM
I'm cheering hard for Maria today!! Win the title girl!

gaviotabr
Aug 21st, 2011, 11:49 PM
Sharapova is SO erractic she loooks on the verge of smashing a racket. I don't remember ever seeing her do that.

It's incredible how players can come out of nowhere to play some great tennis, do well and win big titles.. like JJ this week.. And Ana just can't. :(

gaviotabr
Aug 21st, 2011, 11:54 PM
Over 60 UEs for Sharapova. :help:

gaviotabr
Aug 22nd, 2011, 12:00 AM
OMG Sharapova! :help: What a way to get herself broken. SO ugly.

gaviotabr
Aug 22nd, 2011, 12:27 AM
Ok.. JJ bottled it at the end. Still what a great week for her, out of nowhere.

Sharapova is 11-0 in 3 setters this year. Makes such a huge difference. This is winning out of sheer force of will.

jelenacg
Aug 22nd, 2011, 01:16 AM
Ok.. JJ bottled it at the end. Still what a great week for her, out of nowhere.

Sharapova is 11-0 in 3 setters this year. Makes such a huge difference. This is winning out of sheer force of will.

JJ is such a bad fort runner .The minute Masha won second set in tb i knew this could only end one way .Such a great match ,not quality wise ofc :spit:But the drama,i never saw Masha so angry and trying to `break` her racket so many times :rolls:

It`s great to win these matches playing bad ,and her 3 setters record says it all :worship::worship:

Милан_СРБ
Sep 2nd, 2011, 08:37 PM
I just found this - http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/02092011/58/open-murray-djokovic-best-man.html :eek:
Murray will be best man??? :eek:

Cajka
Sep 2nd, 2011, 08:43 PM
I just found this - http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/02092011/58/open-murray-djokovic-best-man.html :eek:
Murray will be best man??? :eek:

They are almost best friends. But I'm however surprised.

Милан_СРБ
Sep 2nd, 2011, 08:49 PM
They are almost best friends. But I'm however surprised.

I know, but I thought that it would be Janko, Viktor or Nenad!

Cajka
Sep 2nd, 2011, 09:00 PM
I know, but I thought that it would be Janko, Viktor or Nenad!

Or Ana. :p I mean, it can be a woman also.

Ivanovic2008
Sep 6th, 2011, 02:56 AM
Kuzzy up 7-6 2-0 on Caroline. If she actually wins I will be soooo happy!

DAVAJ MKirilenko
Sep 8th, 2011, 10:18 PM
Caro wins 6-1 7-6. So many stupid errors from Petkovic. Long rally's and at the moment she can finish it, she misses.
Last 8 points of the match:

Caro 0 Winners 0 UErrors
Petkovic 3 winners 5 UErrors

I hope Serena plays her best match ever and show some bagels.

18majors
Sep 9th, 2011, 03:18 PM
Hope Ana finish 2011 strong and wins slams in 2012.

SidTheKid
Sep 9th, 2011, 04:20 PM
Well I said 2013 will be tough year for her..Defending all slams she won in 2012 :)

JAS_
Sep 10th, 2011, 11:36 PM
Having watched the SF with Novak and Federer, it ocurred to me that Ana really isn't mentally ready to win at all. In this match you could see the mental battle of these two giants, mental giants, where one would challenge the other, and the other would accept the challenge and raise it. You just have to be able to engage in this sort of mental battle on the court. And I can't escape the feeling that Ana just wants to avoid that at all costs. She would like to win without having to soil her hands, to put it metaphorically. In a million years, I can't imagine Ana not cracking under the pressure of the entire stadium rooting against her and even trying to distract her. Unfortunately she is in the business of fighting, she chose it herself. She better figure it out, and soon. Because if you are not a winner, you are a loser. It's that simple.

Cp6uja
Sep 11th, 2011, 04:50 AM
Serena Williams winners stats at US Open 2011 (before final):

22-6 vs Jovanovski
25-5 vs Krajicek
39-18 vs Azarenka
16-20 vs Ivanovic
26-13 vs Pavlyuchenkova
34-5 vs Wozniacki

:drool:

InsideOut.
Sep 11th, 2011, 07:20 AM
:drool: Winner stats!

DAVAJ MKirilenko
Sep 11th, 2011, 08:33 AM
Lovely to see that Caro hit the less winners of them all. I hope for 6-0 6-0 but 6-2 6-4 is also good.
Still no slam for Caro and let's keep that going forever.

InsideOut.
Sep 11th, 2011, 08:50 AM
I was so disappointed by Serena playing sub-par against Caro. :(

Cajka
Sep 11th, 2011, 11:40 AM
WTA is such a mess. 4 different slam winners this year + none of them is our lovely world #1. :lol: Not to mention that Li is the only one who reached the final twice this year.

SidTheKid
Sep 11th, 2011, 12:30 PM
WTA is such a mess. 4 different slam winners this year + none of them is our lovely world #1. :lol: Not to mention that Li is the only one who reached the final twice this year.

And none of them si our Anci :( :D

18majors
Sep 11th, 2011, 05:12 PM
Happy that Ana played Serena much better than Woz.

azdaja
Sep 12th, 2011, 10:28 AM
nole vs fed match was epic. you don't get that kinda quality on wta these days.

18majors
Sep 12th, 2011, 02:54 PM
Come to think about it, Ana should have taken out Serena and beat Stosur in the final.

SidTheKid
Sep 16th, 2011, 10:24 PM
We'll take this to Anapolis general tennis discussion.

Did so :D So wehre we finsihed? :D Oh tennis palyer reading comments after their matches :D

Cajka
Sep 16th, 2011, 10:42 PM
Did so :D So wehre we finsihed? :D Oh tennis palyer reading comments after their matches :D

What was the problem with Jarka? I read that she wants to close her account. What happened?

SidTheKid
Sep 16th, 2011, 10:45 PM
What was the problem with Jarka? I read that she wants to close her account. What happened?

Too many people got offensive on her after she lost at US Open on twitter..She handled it pretty bad..But good thing someone poitned out was if she spend as much time practicing as she does reading tweets about her she would win more matches :D

Cajka
Sep 16th, 2011, 10:53 PM
Too many people got offensive on her after she lost at US Open on twitter..She handled it pretty bad..But good thing someone poitned out was if she spend as much time practicing as she does reading tweets about her she would win more matches :D

Did she react on that? :lol:

SidTheKid
Sep 16th, 2011, 10:57 PM
Did she react on that? :lol:

Nope to my knowledge :lol: Mostly they insulted her for being Aussie and not fighting..hey poeple she´s not Aussie she is SLOVAK :D We soemtiem give up before match starts :lol:

Cajka
Sep 16th, 2011, 11:05 PM
Nope to my knowledge :lol: Mostly they insulted her for being Aussie and not fighting..hey poeple she´s not Aussie she is SLOVAK :D We soemtiem give up before match starts :lol:

It's really weird to read that she's Aussie. :lol: She wasn't even born there, she only has their passport.

SidTheKid
Sep 16th, 2011, 11:08 PM
It's really weird to read that she's Aussie. :lol: She wasn't even born there, she only has their passport.

Yeah just cuz of her (ex) husband :D I wonder if she will come nack to Slovak citizenship :D

Cajka
Sep 16th, 2011, 11:40 PM
Yeah just cuz of her (ex) husband :D I wonder if she will come nack to Slovak citizenship :D

I understand that sometimes players have to play for some other country. Their career is on the 1st place for them and it's really difficult to be patriotic in some occasions. Just imagine Ana and Novak... Playing in the country that doesn't invest in tennis, no tennis facilities, you train in the swimming pool, it's a war, bombing, your country is kinda isolated... Well, it sucks. That's why people in Serbia must really respect our girls and boys. It's easy to sit in front of the TV and criticize on someone. I remember my fat aunt watching Ana against Henin few years ago. She was like: "Ana must lose weight, she's very fat, she doesn't look like a pro athlete, look at Henin..." :lol: They bash on our athletes all the time and then they whine when they see players like Petko doing well. "Oh, why doesn't she play for Serbia?" Oh, really? She wanted, but she was like top 500 player and our tennis association didn't care.

SidTheKid
Sep 17th, 2011, 01:43 PM
I understand that sometimes players have to play for some other country. Their career is on the 1st place for them and it's really difficult to be patriotic in some occasions. Just imagine Ana and Novak... Playing in the country that doesn't invest in tennis, no tennis facilities, you train in the swimming pool, it's a war, bombing, your country is kinda isolated... Well, it sucks. That's why people in Serbia must really respect our girls and boys. It's easy to sit in front of the TV and criticize on someone. I remember my fat aunt watching Ana against Henin few years ago. She was like: "Ana must lose weight, she's very fat, she doesn't look like a pro athlete, look at Henin..." :lol: They bash on our athletes all the time and then they whine when they see players like Petko doing well. "Oh, why doesn't she play for Serbia?" Oh, really? She wanted, but she was like top 500 player and our tennis association didn't care.

Support of tennis in Slovakia is very poor...Better said only if you are from wealthy family you can afford playing tennis.I wanted to play but it´s just too expensive.If Country would invest in sprots in Slovakia (not just tennis) we would have mroe succesful athletes but if they don´t it will go downhill..Well it already started going downhill

And for people bashing tennsi or any players I guess it´s normal..Sometime I even do it..Specially with my town football team :D

Cajka
Sep 17th, 2011, 02:02 PM
Support of tennis in Slovakia is very poor...Better said only if you are from wealthy family you can afford playing tennis.I wanted to play but it´s just too expensive.If Country would invest in sprots in Slovakia (not just tennis) we would have mroe succesful athletes but if they don´t it will go downhill..Well it already started going downhill

And for people bashing tennsi or any players I guess it´s normal..Sometime I even do it..Specially with my town football team :D

It's normal to be upset when your team loses, but I hate those smart asses. They usually know better than the coaches, players etc. When Serbian football or basketball team loses, people bash on selector first, want him to resign etc.

SidTheKid
Sep 17th, 2011, 02:13 PM
It's normal to be upset when your team loses, but I hate those smart asses. They usually know better than the coaches, players etc. When Serbian football or basketball team loses, people bash on selector first, want him to resign etc.

Yeah and when they win they´re national heroes.I exprencied that during WC 2010 in football.Everyone hated our team after first two games and I was like believe them and they won 3rd match against Italy went to Knockout stage of touranment which wasn´t expected from them before World Cup but when they have drawn their first match everyone was like.They have to go to next round and so..I hate people like that.

Cajka
Sep 17th, 2011, 02:35 PM
Yeah and when they win they´re national heroes.I exprencied that during WC 2010 in football.Everyone hated our team after first two games and I was like believe them and they won 3rd match against Italy went to Knockout stage of touranment which wasn´t expected from them before World Cup but when they have drawn their first match everyone was like.They have to go to next round and so..I hate people like that.

Slovakia was really great last year. It was their first WC. You should be really proud. It was really good year. They were also #1 in the qualifying group. I remember the match against Poland in Chorzow, they won in terrible conditions. It was freaking cold, it was snowing... Awful...

SidTheKid
Sep 17th, 2011, 02:43 PM
Slovakia was really great last year. It was their first WC. You should be really proud. It was really good year. They were also #1 in the qualifying group. I remember the match against Poland in Chorzow, they won in terrible conditions. It was freaking cold, it was snowing... Awful...

We´re used to play in snow :lol: I was very proud we lost 2:1 against finalist in K.O. Stage so I was veery proud..TO be hoenst we´re palying terribly now in qualification for EURO 2012...Hopefully Serbia will get there if we don´t...Vidic makes it up there for me..United for life :lol: And well in Poland if they wouldn´t score own goal we wouldn´t go anywhere :D

Cajka
Sep 17th, 2011, 03:15 PM
We´re used to play in snow :lol: I was very proud we lost 2:1 against finalist in K.O. Stage so I was veery proud..TO be hoenst we´re palying terribly now in qualification for EURO 2012...Hopefully Serbia will get there if we don´t...Vidic makes it up there for me..United for life :lol: And well in Poland if they wouldn´t score own goal we wouldn´t go anywhere :D

You're not Dani's fan?

SidTheKid
Sep 17th, 2011, 03:16 PM
You're not Dani's fan?

Hantuchova? :)

Cajka
Sep 17th, 2011, 03:19 PM
Hantuchova? :)

Yes.

SidTheKid
Sep 17th, 2011, 03:20 PM
Yes.

I used to be but now I see more potential in Domca :) (you found out by my signature? :P it´s not finished yet :D )

Cajka
Sep 17th, 2011, 04:07 PM
I used to be but now I see more potential in Domca :) (you found out by my signature? :P it´s not finished yet :D )

Yeah, I saw it in your sig. I prefer Dani. :inlove:

SidTheKid
Sep 17th, 2011, 04:10 PM
Yeah, I saw it in your sig. I prefer Dani. :inlove:

Well she might end up there along with Kirilenko,Lisicki,Sharapova :D I preffer Domi waay more ;) Even when it comes to looks :hearts:

Cajka
Jan 27th, 2012, 06:12 PM
Izzy's dream visions.

I dreamt this night that Kvitova won Wimbledon and Vika won the USO AO. And then all players would have a meetting and Caro was crying to her dad: "Dad, why can everyone have slams but me? :sobbing:"

:hysteric:

Fixed. I can totally see this happen. :sobbing: Izzy had some supernatural gifts. http://www.millan.net/minimations/smileys/singoalla.gif http://www.olsenportfolio.com/v2/temp/psychic_anim_test.gif

Why is this thread neglected? :(

Sharapovian
Jan 27th, 2012, 06:20 PM
I wouldn't mind Vika winning a slam, just please not this one. :hysteric:

If she was playing someone other than Maria I would probably root for her and if she does win, then I'll rightfully congratulate her :yeah:

azdaja
Jan 27th, 2012, 09:18 PM
think whatever you want about her, but i miss izzy :sad: she was good for this forum in spite of being very negative sometimes. i can't blame her for leaving after ana picked the evil scott over the good one, though.

and why do you wonder why this thread is dead when the top poster left the board and the thread starter watches more fucking rugby than tennis these days? :p

but speaking of tennis in general, muzza losing to nole today was nid, the guy is so scared of winning big he makes ana look a real warrior :o

Cajka
Jan 28th, 2012, 02:31 AM
think whatever you want about her, but i miss izzy :sad: she was good for this forum in spite of being very negative sometimes. i can't blame her for leaving after ana picked the evil scott over the good one, though.

and why do you wonder why this thread is dead when the top poster left the board and the thread starter watches more fucking rugby than tennis these days? :p

but speaking of tennis in general, muzza losing to nole today was nid, the guy is so scared of winning big he makes ana look a real warrior :o

It's not just Izzy. Many posters gave up on Ana. I don't blame them tough. :o

Cajka
Jan 28th, 2012, 11:18 AM

I believe that this loss is more painful than losing in 3 sets. :o

I don't know what to say about the final today. Sad, really. :sad:

HowardH
Jan 29th, 2012, 08:30 AM
Izzy's dream was so accurate :eek:.

I think there are many posters who do not believe in Ana enough to post in here very often anymore, but who still hold a little glimmer of hope that she might return to form and watch over her results from a distance.

In other words, Ana now has less "believers" but quite a lot of "well-wishers". Some well wishers post in here, and some no longer do.

Given her results, this is understandable. It's hard to believe in her, but you do tend to wish her well.

Well, there are some posters who seem to have a supernatural amount of belief in Ana. I admire that.

Also, I don't think you can fairly compare Murray's tendency to lose in semis and finals to Ana's epic slump. Ana's current form is actually an improvement over the previous slump, and it's still not that great. The guy is playing really good tennis and he really got close. Well, I don't like him that much but he's definitely producing pretty good stuff. It's a bit of an insult to say he makes Ana look like a warrior. If Ana was doing what he was doing that would be light years ahead of whatever rubbish she's producing these days. Murray is dedicated, he's on the verge of pulling out all his potential but he can't quite take the last step. He's getting good people to join his team, he's being very professional about his career. Hey, it's tough. He's got 3 great players ahead of him, 2 who are in the "greatest of all time" category and one who is trying to step up into that category. He can't quite get an A+ but he's on A all the time. Whereas Ana was basically flunking for a couple of years and now is probably doing no better than B, B-.

Well, at least she's a lot cuter than Murray.

The funny thing, it's so obvious that now is the time for all kinds of wta players to step up and take up the mantle as the former generation either retire or play more and more part time. But Ana isn't even in the mix.

azdaja
Jan 29th, 2012, 10:07 AM
what i said about murray is not to be taken literally. a female version of murray would probably pwn the wta tour these days.

and i agree about the well-wishers bit, i am one of them, a former believer and now a well-wisher. still, even though my expectations have gone down i like ana more than players who've never had my support above the well-wisher level. i guess it's the same with plenty of people.

Cajka
Jan 29th, 2012, 11:35 AM
It's really a shame for Ana. The level of tennis in both womens semifinals wasn't impressive at all. It's just incredible that she's been doing so bad in this era and it was much more difficult to make a good result in 2007 or 2008. It's all just beyond me.

Lord Choc Ice
Jan 29th, 2012, 02:54 PM
Men's final :bowdown:.

Cajka
Jan 29th, 2012, 03:48 PM

I was convinced that Novak would lose after he lost the 4th set. But it was something supernatural. :eek: :hearts:

And :hug: I know that Nadal is your fave. :sad:

azdaja
Jan 29th, 2012, 04:03 PM
this x 1,000,000

i like the outcome, but i have to say in the last set i didn't care about it. nole and rafa were writing history and they both deserved to win. sometimes it really is bad that only one guy can win, but that's tennis. and tennis was the biggest winner in this match and so were all tennis fans.

wta :tape:

18majors
Jan 29th, 2012, 04:05 PM
It's really a shame for Ana. The level of tennis in both womens semifinals wasn't impressive at all. It's just incredible that she's been doing so bad in this era and it was much more difficult to make a good result in 2007 or 2008. It's all just beyond me.

The top 4 of Azarenka, Kvitova, Maria and Woz are solid. On top of that; Serena, Clijsters and Na Li are still around. It's a tall mountain to climb if Ana is to return to the top 5.

gloria7
Jan 29th, 2012, 05:38 PM
Kakvo to srce imaš, Nole ?!

KAKVO TO SRCE IMAŠ !?!?!

Congrats, my prince!

The 2nd Law
Jan 30th, 2012, 02:15 AM
Novak!!!

It was so incredible to be at Melbourne park to watch it :)

Davodus
Jan 30th, 2012, 04:03 AM
^^ Did you go in and watch on the bigscreen? I always wondered if they let people in for free, or if you have to pay to go in to watch finals on the screen...

The 2nd Law
Jan 31st, 2012, 01:54 AM
^^ Did you go in and watch on the bigscreen? I always wondered if they let people in for free, or if you have to pay to go in to watch finals on the screen...

My friend does PR for TA so she got us passes for free, but yeah you have to pay lol. I must say, next year I think if I don't have seats in RLA I'll just watch it in comfort at home :lol:

gloria7
Feb 6th, 2012, 08:37 PM
Nole has won the Laureus Awards World Sportsman of the year for 2011. Congrats, Nole!!!

...and congrats to our Fed Cup team. Well done, girls!

Linguae^
Feb 6th, 2012, 11:40 PM
Hooray, Serbia, hooray!

JAS_
Apr 21st, 2012, 11:18 AM
Blue clay :inlove:

QELC1Vl1X5I

Luuuuurve the color. :hearts:

Rafa doesn't seem happy at all :lol::hug:

JAS_
May 18th, 2012, 12:08 AM
This is not tennis related but it is so awesome that I had to share it with you:

Why Nikola Tesla was the greatest geek who ever lived (http://theoatmeal.com/comics/tesla)

Cajka
May 18th, 2012, 12:26 AM
This is not tennis related but it is so awesome that I had to share it with you:

Why Nikola Tesla was the greatest geek who ever lived (http://theoatmeal.com/comics/tesla)

Sad thing, but Edison and Markoni are more famous than Tesla.

gaviotabr
May 19th, 2012, 01:10 PM
I'm watching Kerber-Sharapova. Both hit so deep.

I have to say Sharapova defends very well on her BH side. A note to opponents.. when trying to attack her, maybe its better to go to her FH side.

gaviotabr
May 19th, 2012, 01:24 PM
What's going on with Kerber? She looks dead nervous..

Cajka
May 19th, 2012, 01:29 PM
She looked nervous yesterday too. Kvitty was very bad, but Kerber needed like 5 set points to close the set. But, of course, she couldn't waste 6 set points. :lol:

Oh... Ana...

Girl, you're my set point! :singer:

gaviotabr
May 19th, 2012, 01:31 PM
She looked nervous yesterday too. Kvitty was very bad, but Kerber needed like 5 set points to close the set. But, of course, she couldn't waste 6 set points. :lol:

Oh... God...

Girl, you're my set point! :singer:

I can't with that song.. :lol:

Only Ana wastes 6 SPs.. :cry:

Cajka
May 19th, 2012, 01:51 PM
Masha definitely has the best bh atm. I think that it's the main reason why she's able to deal with Kvitty's fh. Just like Djokovic and Nadal.

gaviotabr
May 19th, 2012, 01:56 PM
Masha definitely has the best bh atm. I think that it's the main reason why she's able to deal with Kvitty's fh. Just like Djokovic and Nadal.

Agreed.

What I also find interesting is that Sharapova slides to her BH on clay, using the court to help her defend to that side. She doesn't slide to the FH side.

Edit: She saved one of the SPs like that.. Ana hit a lame IO FH that Masha defended sliding on the BH side.. then the ball just went over the net and Ana netted the next FH. Would've been better to try to smack a shot to Masha's FH.

gaviotabr
May 19th, 2012, 02:14 PM
Great match for Sharapova.. far and away her best match this week. To play Na Li in the final.

Cajka
May 19th, 2012, 02:20 PM
I expected Kerber to play better. But I won't complain because I love it when Masha's doing fine. This time it's on Ana's expense, but she had her chances.

gaviotabr
May 19th, 2012, 02:32 PM
I expected Kerber to play better. But I won't complain because I love it when Masha's doing fine. This time it's on Ana's expense, but she had her chances.

Yes.. honestly.. Ana could be now in a final.. she only has herself to blame.. but tennis is a game of opportunities, you gotta take the ones that come up. Masha took hers.

Cajka
May 19th, 2012, 02:36 PM
Yes.. honestly.. Ana could be now in a final.. she only has herself to blame.. but tennis is a game of opportunities, you gotta take the ones that come up. Masha took hers.

I don't think that Ana would beat Venus, although Ana's playing better than Venus atm, obviously. Ana couldn't beat Venus when she was absolutely pathetic. I just want WS and Kim far away from Ana in every draw. I believe that she can somehow overcome her fear against current top 4, but not against the real big 4.

gaviotabr
May 19th, 2012, 02:41 PM
I don't think that Ana would beat Venus, although Ana's playing better than Venus atm, obviously. Ana couldn't beat Venus when she was absolutely pathetic. I just want WS and Kim far away from Ana in every draw. I believe that she can somehow overcome her fear against current top 4, but not against the real big 4.

Did you watch Venus this week? Honestly.. she was awful. Ana at least took a set off Venus in Miami.. can't say the same against anyone in the current top 4.

But yeah.. I also hope WS and Kim are far away from Ana in any draw.

Cajka
May 19th, 2012, 02:47 PM
Did you watch Venus this week? Honestly.. she was awful. Ana at least took a set off Venus in Miami.. can't say the same against anyone in the current top 4.

But yeah.. I also hope WS and Kim are far away from Ana in any draw.

Yes, that's my point. Even when Vee is awful and Ana somehow takes a set off her, she can't win. I can't imagine Ana folding like that against top 4. Masha played a much better match against Ana than Vika did. Except those opening 3 games, I don't think that Masha played an awful match.

gaviotabr
May 19th, 2012, 03:01 PM
Yes, that's my point. Even when Vee is awful and Ana somehow takes a set off her, she can't win. I can't imagine Ana folding like that against top 4. Masha played a much better match against Ana than Vika did. Except those opening 3 games, I don't think that Masha played an awful match.

Then Vika? In Madrid? Did you watch?

I thought Sharapova was awful in that match against Ana. Those first 3 games were almost non-existant.. but the remainer of the match was also low quality. Ana wasn't playing well either, and couldn't take advantage of more chances than she could have asked the tennis Gods. Masha was clutch though.. Didn't make stupid mistakes at decisive moments, while Ana did.

I thought Venus played ok in the last 2 sets against Ana in Miami and then Ana just folded. But wasn't just that what she did for most part of the second set against Vika and in the second set against Masha? Losing 7 games in a row against Vika and 5 in a row against Masha. Only lost 4 in a row against Venus. I think the block is the same... she doesn't really stand up to big matches. Venus is playing way worse though..

Cajka
May 19th, 2012, 03:03 PM
Masha, not Vika. My brain took a vacation.

gaviotabr
May 19th, 2012, 03:22 PM
Masha, not Vika. My brain took a vacation.

My brain is also on vacation I think.. :lol: Masha, not Vika where in your post? Because if I simply replace Masha for Vika, it doesn't make much sense..

"Masha played a much better match against Ana than Vika did."

"Masha played a much better match against Ana than Masha did."

Cajka
May 19th, 2012, 03:52 PM
My brain is also on vacation I think.. :lol: Masha, not Vika where in your post? Because if I simply replace Masha for Vika, it doesn't make much sense..

"Masha played a much better match against Ana than Vika did."

"Masha played a much better match against Ana than Masha did."

None of those option. Masha played better against Ana than Venus did. :haha:

gaviotabr
May 19th, 2012, 04:01 PM
None of those option. Masha played better against Ana than Venus did. :haha:

I definitely disagree. I think last 2 sets in Miami from Venus was way better than any moment from Masha in Rome. Masha x Ana in Rome was pretty poor overall.

gaviotabr
May 19th, 2012, 04:07 PM

I can't with that song.. :lol:

Only Ana wastes 6 SPs.. :cry:

Now I remembered.. watching Ferrer-Nadal. Ferrer wasted 6 SPs against Nadal in Barcelona. But they were all on Nadal's serve. :tape:

Cajka
May 19th, 2012, 04:25 PM

I definitely disagree. I think last 2 sets in Miami from Venus was way better than any moment from Masha in Rome. Masha x Ana in Rome was pretty poor overall.

Ana was competitive against Vee in longer rallies. Against Masha, Ana was completely outplayed off ground. She was able to hit return winner or serve winner. Vee served good in 2nd and 3rd set, but her groundstrokes were nowhere close to Masha's. The biggest problems in Masha's game are dfs and return sometimes. She misses to many returns while trying to hit a winner instantly.

gaviotabr
May 19th, 2012, 04:41 PM
Ana was competitive against Vee in longer rallies. Against Masha, Ana was completely outplayed off ground. She was able to hit return winner or serve winner. Vee served good in 2nd and 3rd set, but her groundstrokes were nowhere close to Masha's. The biggest problems in Masha's game are dfs and return sometimes. She misses to many returns while trying to hit a winner instantly.

But that was because Ana was playing better in Miami. Her shots were more solid, deeper and not so tight, and BH had more to it, so it was harder to attack her off the ground.

AnaxMasha in Rome was very poor. Masha was for a long part an UE machine.. missing a lot, and not only serve and return. And Ana's shots had nothing to it.. even when she had balls to her FH she would mostly hold back on it and hit it lame. Ana's shot selection was also questionable. So when Masha actually kept the ball in, Ana couldn't hang on with her off the ground... ball would get shorter and shorter and then it would become easy for anyone. Ana's serve was her best shot in that match, and she got broken 5 times. :tape: And funny.. while Masha does miss returns while trying to hit winners off first shot, I thought the best part of her awful performance against Ana was exactly her return.

A few things I don't get on Ana's game on clay right now.. why doesn't she lift balls DTL on her BH? Those were key to her beating Wozniacki.. and honestly work well against anyone on clay. Even slicing would be better than trying to go blow by blow with Sharapova on BH CC. Or with anyone honestly. :lol::help: and why doesn't she really go for her FH? She always has a few nice FH winners.. but she is mostly holding back on that shot, especially when she hits it inside out. Makes no sense to me..

Cajka
May 19th, 2012, 04:53 PM
I think that her "new" forehand is too flat for clay to stay in rallies and be aggressive enough. She needs to add more spin, so that she can keep the opponents behind the baseline, but I'm not sure if her arms are strong enough to produce the spin. That's the main reason why I think that clay is her worst surface right now. Her forehand is naturally big and beautiful, but when she plays on clay she needs to put some extra weight on it and it requires strength, obviously.

She should hit more dtl on clay in general, from both wings. Since her shots don't seem to be so lethal anymore, she must play smarter, go dtl, go for angles... Or simply gain weight. :lol:

gaviotabr
May 19th, 2012, 05:11 PM
I think that her "new" forehand is too flat for clay to stay in rallies and be aggressive enough. She needs to add more spin, so that she can keep the opponents behind the baseline, but I'm not sure if her arms are strong enough to produce the spin. That's the main reason why I think that clay is her worst surface right now. Her forehand is naturally big and beautiful, but when she plays on clay she needs to put some extra weight on it and it requires strength, obviously.

She should hit more dtl on clay in general, from both wings. Since her shots don't seem to be so lethal anymore, she must play smarter, go dtl, go for angles... Or simply gain weight. :lol:

Flat? It's the opposite. If anything Ana's FH has a LOT more air to it and is a LOT less flat than it used to be. She just holds back.. she doesn't hit it all out, she holds her arm back. It's a matter of not going for it. I wouldn't say it has much spin because it doesn't jump up, but it definitely has much more air than back in the good old golden days. I do agree that clay is her worst surface these days, mostly because her shots in general have a lot less weight than they used to have and she doesn't go for them as much anymore, so she can't hit through the court as she did when she was actually good on it. She needs to flatten out her FH more when she has the chance, go for it, make it a kill shot again. But then again.. I'm not sure she is fit enough for that.. you need timing, mentality and weight to put behind.

I agree she needs to play smarter.. but I do think she goes DTL with the FH.. just barely ever with the BH. I don't think we can demand Ana to be hitting BH DTL winners, because her BH is not her natural shot and its a bit too hard for her to do that.. but she can and she has used the BH to lift balls DTL and that shot is extremely effective for her as she will most likely get a FH to hit as the next shot.

fANAtic
May 19th, 2012, 05:14 PM
Absolutely, her FH is much loopier than before.

gaviotabr
May 19th, 2012, 05:20 PM
Absolutely, her FH is much loopier than before.

Exactly. That's the word to describe Ana's FH: Loopy. It has a lot of air and its not as flat as it used to be.. so it doesn't have weight, can't get through the court. I think she is trying to add spin but failing.. and then she holds back on the shot instead of going for it, which would make the FH flatter. Maybe its a process as she says and she will one day have a FH with a lot of spin. Or maybe its just the wrong way to approach her FH, making it less of a weapon, in quest of consistency of shot. May work against scrubs but makes it harder against good players.

Cajka
May 19th, 2012, 05:38 PM
Flat? It's the opposite. If anything Ana's FH has a LOT more air to it and is a LOT less flat than it used to be. She just holds back.. she doesn't hit it all out, she holds her arm back. It's a matter of not going for it.

Honestly, in some moments in the match against Masha, it looked like Radwanska's fh, flat, simple, short and harmless. It's fast on hardcourts, but on clay it's not as effective as it used to be. She hits some nice return winners or winners after a nice serve, but I don't see that it even gives her some advantage in rallies.

I wouldn't say it has much spin because it doesn't jump up, but it definitely has much more air than back in the good old golden days.

Those weird shots that are neither moonballs nor shots with spin sometimes work as some sort of defense. But it can't overtake her plan A game. Just like that bh slice, she was overusing it last year. Her bh slice is OK, but it can't be the only bh she has.

I do agree that clay is her worst surface these days, mostly because her shots in general have a lot less weight than they used to have and she doesn't go for them as much anymore, so she can't hit through the court as she did when she was actually good on it. She needs to flatten out her FH more when she has the chance, go for it, make it a kill shot again.

When she has a chance to finish the point with a nice forehand - yes. But flat fh won't work on clay in longer points, the clay will swallow the pace. She must send deep and heavy balls.

I agree she needs to play smarter.. but I do think she goes DTL with the FH.. just barely ever with the BH. I don't think we can demand Ana to be hitting BH DTL winners, because her BH is not her natural shot and its a bit too hard for her to do that.. but she can and she has used the BH to lift balls DTL and that shot is extremely effective for her as she will most likely get a FH to hit as the next shot.

She can hit some bh dtl winners when she gets a very short ball, but she can't redirect dtl during the neutral rally and hit a clean winner like JJ. But she can use it to open the court and construct the point. She hits fh dtl more often, of course, but it's also often a terrible shot selection. For example, when she hits some weak inside-in fh and leaves the whole court uncovered.... because she refuses to hit the bh dtl of course.

Sean.
May 19th, 2012, 06:42 PM
I was so disappointed in Ana's performance vs. Masha, it was like going back to 09.

So nervous, so worked up, bad ball toss, no confidence, pushing her FH, and then choking. Very worrying!

fANAtic
May 19th, 2012, 06:51 PM
I was so disappointed in Ana's performance vs. Masha, it was like going back to 09.

So nervous, so worked up, bad ball toss, no confidence, pushing her FH, and then choking. Very worrying!

I wouldn't exactly say that. In 09 she was chocking against the likes of K. Bondarenko, not n.2 in the world who didn't loose a set on her way to the final.

gaviotabr
May 19th, 2012, 07:01 PM
Honestly, in some moments in the match against Masha, it looked like Radwanska's fh, flat, simple, short and harmless. It's fast on hardcourts, but on clay it's not as effective as it used to be. She hits some nice return winners or winners after a nice serve, but I don't see that it even gives her some advantage in rallies.

Radwanska's FH is not flat, its loopy. Which is what Ana's FH is these days for the most part. Flat FH is Sharapova's or NaLi's or Ana's back in 2007/2008. It's a bit sad that this comparisson is acurate, since Radwanska isn't supposed to be a power player and Ana is.. where is her power? I agree it doesn't give Ana an advantage in rallies, but that is exactly because its too airy.. A flat, hard FH skids through any court.. an airy FH stops and floats, especially on clay, which gives opponents the chance to attack it. That's why Radwanska's worst surface is clay, and also because Ana's game lost a lot of its effectiveness on it. Ana can hit nice winners out of return because she uses the pace of the opponent's shot. It's harder to make a winner on a regular FH because it's harder to create pace with an airy FH. She would have to go for it.. but if she goes for it, she flattens out the FH, and that's not what she is trying to do, so she ends up holding back on shots, making them even more harmless. Works better on fast courts in general because lame shots get slowed down on clay.

Those weird shots that are neither moonballs nor shots with spin sometimes work as some sort of defense. But it can't overtake her plan A game. Just like that bh slice, she was overusing it last year. Her bh slice is OK, but it can't be the only bh she has.

Agreed. BH slice can't be the only one. But BH CC can't be the only one either.. and that's the only shot she has these days from BH side... and even so its a loopy shot that can't be used to attack. Ana needs to develop ways to go DTL with her BH.. lift it, moonball it, slice it, change pace with it, to avoid CC BH rallies and get more balls to her FH.

When she has a chance to finish the point with a nice forehand - yes. But flat fh won't work on clay in longer points, the clay will swallow the pace. She must send deep and heavy balls.

Flat FH works very well on clay. Ask 2008 Ana, Sharapova or Na Li. A flat FH hits through the court and skids on it, making it hard for the opponent to attack it or even defend it. I agree it has to be deep.. but I don't understand why you put flat and heavy as things that are not compatible. Ana used to hit a heavy flat FH, you could see how much weight of shot it had. Sharapova's flat FH is a lot more about pace, but look at Na Li.. it's also flat and heavy. Heavy balls are not only those filled with spin. Deep spin works well on clay, but it has to be a lot of spin, otherwise it will just jump up to the opponents hitting zone and not above it. Look at Errani.. she can hit with a lot of spin, and beat a bunch of scrubs with that on clay.. but if she gets someone who can get that spinny shot and flatten it out, she will be beaten. Or look at Stosur.. she probably has the best spinny FH on the WTA, yet she lost on clay to flat FH Sharapova a number of times.

Now speaking in general.. Soderling was one of the flattest hitters out there, and his game worked better on clay then any other surface. And he hit a very heavy ball at the same time. Heavy and flat is the best combination for clay, since you are able to hit through the court, unless you are some sort of Nadal who hits with unbelievable spin.

She can hit some bh dtl winners when she gets a very short ball, but she can't redirect dtl during the neutral rally and hit a clean winner like JJ. But she can use it to open the court and construct the point. She hits fh dtl more often, of course, but it's also often a terrible shot selection. For example, when she hits some weak inside-in fh and leaves the whole court uncovered.... because she refuses to hit the bh dtl of course.

Agreed. She needs to either go all out on those FH or just learn how to somehow redirect with her BH. It doesn't have to be an outright BH winner, but just a way to get a next shot on her FH.

gaviotabr
May 19th, 2012, 07:04 PM

I think Ana is in a phase of "shitting on her pants" (sorry the words) at the sight of a top player across the net. A mix of wanting too much and fear of winning.

Agreed she didn't play well at all.

I wouldn't exactly say that. In 09 she was chocking against the likes of K. Bondarenko, not n.2 in the world who didn't loose a set on her way to the final.

True.. I don't think its as bad as 2009. While her tendency to choke is worrisome, she is in a much better place than she was in 09. Or so I want to believe.

azdaja
May 19th, 2012, 07:32 PM
omg, this thread was meant to be about tennis in general, not about ana :p

anyway, i don't think we need to worry about ana too much right now. she is now closer to being a (barely) top 10 player than to turning into the trainwreck that she once was. and since something is changing we have to wait and see where things go now.

Cajka
May 19th, 2012, 07:39 PM
Radwanska's FH is not flat, its loopy. Which is what Ana's FH is these days for the most part. Flat FH is Sharapova's or NaLi's or Ana's back in 2007/2008. It's a bit sad that this comparisson is acurate, since Radwanska isn't supposed to be a power player and Ana is.. where is her power? I agree it doesn't give Ana an advantage in rallies, but that is exactly because its too airy..

For me, the definition of loopy fh is Woz. Loopy moonballing fh and backhand is what she hit, but, of course, bh is flatter and better. Aga's fh is not loopy, it's simple and flat, she redirects the pace, but she can't produce her own pace. She can even hit many winners from that wing when she decides to play aggressive (Beijing last year), but she can't hit it very hard. OTOH, Kvitova is a huge girl who hits her forehand extremely flat and she always tries to hit some ridiculous angles. Ana's fh is of course much faster and bigger than Radwanska's, but it's not fast enough to hit throught the opponents on all surfaces.
One interesting stat: Ana's last four titles were indoors, 2 of them on the fastest hardcourts that exist. low bounce + no elements :shrug:

A flat, hard FH skids through any court.. an airy FH stops and floats, especially on clay, which gives opponents the chance to attack it. That's why Radwanska's worst surface is clay, and also because Ana's game lost a lot of its effectiveness on it. Ana can hit nice winners out of return because she uses the pace of the opponent's shot. It's harder to make a winner on a regular FH because it's harder to create pace with an airy FH. She would have to go for it.. but if she goes for it, she flattens out the FH, and that's not what she is trying to do, so she ends up holding back on shots, making them even more harmless. Works better on fast courts in general because lame shots get slowed down on clay.

For me, it looks like it's attackable because it's short and not heavy enough and it's getting shorter and shorter after every short and finally she ends up behind the baseline, which is not her natural position, her movement gets exposed, her footwork gets awful because she's in awkward position and she nets the fh. Forehand doesn't look loopy to me (for most of the time), backhand does. It's actually extremely loopy, but it's getting better, I think.

Agreed. BH slice can't be the only one. But BH CC can't be the only one either.. and that's the only shot she has these days from BH side... and even so its a loopy shot that can't be used to attack. Ana needs to develop ways to go DTL with her BH.. lift it, moonball it, slice it, change pace with it, to avoid CC BH rallies and get more balls to her FH.

I think that I saw that she tried to hit bh slice dtl few times and I think that it looked really bad. Moonball bh dtl was surprisingly good against Caro otoh. Generally, she was moonballing that bh very well. Caro's fh should take some notes. :spit:

Flat FH works very well on clay. Ask 2008 Ana, Sharapova or Na Li. A flat FH hits through the court and skids on it, making it hard for the opponent to attack it or even defend it. I agree it has to be deep.. but I don't understand why you put flat and heavy as things that are not compatible. Ana used to hit a heavy flat FH, you could see how much weight of shot it had. Sharapova's flat FH is a lot more about pace, but look at Na Li.. it's also flat and heavy. Heavy balls are not only those filled with spin. Deep spin works well on clay, but it has to be a lot of spin, otherwise it will just jump up to the opponents hitting zone and not above it. Look at Errani.. she can hit with a lot of spin, and beat a bunch of scrubs with that on clay.. but if she gets someone who can get that spinny shot and flatten it out, she will be beaten. Or look at Stosur.. she probably has the best spinny FH on the WTA, yet she lost on clay to flat FH Sharapova a number of times.

Now speaking in general.. Soderling was one of the flattest hitters out there, and his game worked better on clay then any other surface. And he hit a very heavy ball at the same time. Heavy and flat is the best combination for clay, since you are able to hit through the court, unless you are some sort of Nadal who hits with unbelievable spin.

Flat + heavy works great on clay, but flat + nothing doesn't. :shrug: Ask Jie Zheng. :lol:

Also, spin works really good on clay, that's the second option. She's been trying to do add some spin, because she's had more control with that, but I don't see the results. Maybe that's the loopy fh you were talking about. If that's it, it worked better on hardcourts then.

gaviotabr
May 19th, 2012, 08:23 PM
For me, the definition of loopy fh is Woz. Loopy moonballing fh and backhand is what she hit, but, of course, bh is flatter and better. Aga's fh is not loopy, it's simple and flat, she redirects the pace, but she can't produce her own pace. She can even hit many winners from that wing when she decides to play aggressive (Beijing last year), but she can't hit it very hard. OTOH, Kvitova is a huge girl who hits her forehand extremely flat and she always tries to hit some ridiculous angles. Ana's fh is of course much faster and bigger than Radwanska's, but it's not fast enough to hit throught the opponents on all surfaces.

Woz has loopy moonball FH.. Aga's FH is simple.. but its not really that flat and doesn't have own pace. Ana's FH can be heavy and flat.. that is her natural FH. The one she had until she decided to tinker with it and then lose weight. Ana's FH was never about being fast though. Sharapova's flat FH is about being fast. Ana's was flat and heavy, it had a lot of weight of shot, so even while not too deep it was not attackable and could hit through the court. Now she is trying to add spin to it so she is holding back on the shot, which makes it airy.. and as anything airy, it has no real weight.. it's definitely not a flat shot anymore, that's for sure. Also by holding it back she gets tight and makes a lot more UEs into the net. So while this new FH is ok, it benefits from faster courts as it has no weight.. faster courts make the shot better than it really is, while clay exposes its lame/tight/hold back nature.

One interesting stat: Ana's last four titles were indoors, 2 of them on the fastest hardcourts that exist. low bounce + no elements :shrug:

That's interesting.. I think Ana's last outdoor title was RG 08.. 4 years ago.. :help: It's also true that Linz x 2 and Bali x 2 had relatively poor fields, which also helped her cause. Though I think Ana was hitting a big ball back in late 2010. Beijing + Linz + Bali 2010 was the best Ana served since 2008, and she still had weight on her shots. The lack of weight really came about when she lost all that weight in the 2010 off season.

For me, it looks like it's attackable because it's short and not heavy enough and it's getting shorter and shorter after every short and finally she ends up behind the baseline, which is not her natural position, her movement gets exposed, her footwork gets awful because she's in awkward position and she nets the fh. Forehand doesn't look loopy to me (for most of the time), backhand does. It's actually extremely loopy, but it's getting better, I think.

BH is extremely loopy because all she can do with it is lift it up. Most of times, if Ana tries to flatten out her BH, she meets the net. But FH is really airy, its not flat at all. As I've said.. the issue with the FH is holding back on the shot while trying to add spin.. she is in a limbo.. the shot has no spin yet but its not flat anymore either. As she is holding back, not going for it, it lands short.. and since it has no weight, it gets extremely attackable or at least very easy to defend.

I think its not the footwork getting awful because she is in an awkward position, but that she is in an awkward position because footwork is awful. I think that is another effect of not having a fitness coach. Scott used to do a lot of footwork drills with Ana.. there was even a time she looked like such a natural mover on clay. Now Ana's footwork is suspect at best, and it really shows where she will hit besides getting her in awkward positions. It has been worse though.. I think it's getting sloooooooowly better. Not on clay though.. on clay she mostly looks like Elephant on ice. :lol: Her HC movement this year was better than 2011 though I think.

I think that I saw that she tried to hit bh slice dtl few times and I think that it looked really bad. Moonball bh dtl was surprisingly good against Caro otoh. Generally, she was moonballing that bh very well. Caro's fh should take some notes. :spit:

She actually won a few points off the slice in the Sharapova match.. its not great but at least it gave her a chance because those CC BH rallies are suicide. That moonball BH to the FH side is really effective though.. if you watch matches from 07/08 she used that a lot and to great effect. And that shot was very helpful against Woz this year. I don't understand why she doesn't use it more. It restart points, gets her out of BH rallies and usually gives her a chance to hit a FH.

Flat + heavy works great on clay, but flat + nothing doesn't. :shrug: Ask Jie Zheng. :lol:

Also, spin works really good on clay, that's the second option. She's been trying to do add some spin, because she's had more control with that, but I don't see the results. Maybe that's the loopy fh you were talking about. If that's it, it worked better on hardcourts then.

True.. flat and heavy is best for clay. But if Ana goes for her FH, doesn't hold back, it will have weight and it will be flat. She holds back too much, doesn't go for it.. that's the biggest issue. Sure, she could be better if she gained some weight to put behind her shots.. gained some muscle weight. But pulling back on shots is what makes them so harmless.

Yes.. As I've said, I think Ana is in a middle road.. trying to add spin, but now it is not flat and still doesn't have spin.. its just airy and harmless, and she pulls back on it. Works better on hardcourt because there it doesn't get slowed down as it does on clay. On clay you have to hit through it, go for shots so balls skid or jump.

Maybe Ana will get spin on her FH at some point.. but I honestly don't know.. I think they are losing exactly what made her game special in the first place. This route might get her more consistent, but it will limit her potential, and mask her weapons in a way they aren't really weapons anymore. So her low level might be higher, but her high level will probably be lower than what she could really be.

Linguae^
May 19th, 2012, 11:48 PM
First, Ana wasn't playing better in Miami and Maria played better than Venus back then.
Second, Ana was good against Maria and don't blame her that much. She was just unlucky and maybe just average on crucial points, Maria just showed why she is number 2 with so many finals this year and she is now a great player on clay. Ana is still coming back to her big level and she can't be as mentally strong as Sharapova is. I only hate the fact she lost that last service game, everything else was actually OK. Those set points were there, but it was tough to get them. I only wish she would stop being nervous on big points, take a breath, take some time and THEN serve or return. Everything else is going better, now she will be fresh for FO and, trust me, there is a big chance for her to succeed in Paris.

Cajka
May 20th, 2012, 12:53 AM
Aga's FH is simple..

Simple is perhaps the best description. For me it's flat, but flat forehands are often connected to speed and it can be confusing because all that Aga does is redirecting the pace, but it's passive. Ana's crappy fh is much better than Aga's peak forehand anyway, for numerous reasons.

that is her natural FH.

Luckily, even her natural forehand is a monster. :lol: I believe that Nigel has a lot of problems with that, I even have some crazy explanation.

The one she had until she decided to tinker with it and then lose weight. Ana's FH was never about being fast though. Sharapova's flat FH is about being fast.

It's usually flat and fast when she hits a return winner or the final winner after some longer point. It can be very fast, but generally its biggest quality wasn't the speed itself.

Ana's was flat and heavy, it had a lot of weight of shot, so even while not too deep it was not attackable and could hit through the court. Now she is trying to add spin to it so she is holding back on the shot, which makes it airy.. and as anything airy, it has no real weight.. it's definitely not a flat shot anymore, that's for sure. Also by holding it back she gets tight and makes a lot more UEs into the net. So while this new FH is ok, it benefits from faster courts as it has no weight.. faster courts make the shot better than it really is, while clay exposes its lame/tight/hold back nature.

I think that we get the same impression while watching it, but we obviously have different explanation for it, but we agree that it should be heavier.

That's interesting.. I think Ana's last outdoor title was RG 08.. 4 years ago.. :help: It's also true that Linz x 2 and Bali x 2 had relatively poor fields, which also helped her cause. Though I think Ana was hitting a big ball back in late 2010. Beijing + Linz + Bali 2010 was the best Ana served since 2008, and she still had weight on her shots. The lack of weight really came about when she lost all that weight in the 2010 off season.

Regardless of opponents and the field, her forehand looked much more impressive in Bali than it looked on some other surfaces. Then again, I believe that at this point she would win Fes or Estoril easily, her game and mentality has really improved, but it's not even an option at the moment, she must make a big result where it matters, not in Fes.

BH is extremely loopy because all she can do with it is lift it up. Most of times, if Ana tries to flatten out her BH, she meets the net. But FH is really airy, its not flat at all. As I've said.. the issue with the FH is holding back on the shot while trying to add spin.. she is in a limbo.. the shot has no spin yet but its not flat anymore either. As she is holding back, not going for it, it lands short.. and since it has no weight, it gets extremely attackable or at least very easy to defend.

That loopy forehand, I think that she hits it when she's pushing, she'll still hit it flat when she's attacking, but that flat fh with no weight is harmless against Masha or Vika. Masha's shots are flatter, Vika takes the ball very early and Ana doesn't have a time to flatten it again, so she hits those wannabe mooonballs. She takes the ball a bit late, so she really needs the attacking fh to be perfect. But it has to be perfect against top 4 + some other in form player, her current fh is still good enough for 85% of field, but it has to be the best in the world if she wants to be really, really, really baaaaackkkkk!!!!1111 :lol:

I think its not the footwork getting awful because she is in an awkward position, but that she is in an awkward position because footwork is awful.

Maybe it's all about her reflexes and it's always been kinda weakness. She wants to attack and have it all on her racket, but when those balls come back very fast, she can't react properly.

I think that is another effect of not having a fitness coach. Scott used to do a lot of footwork drills with Ana.. there was even a time she looked like such a natural mover on clay.

Remember those training videos. He was exactly working on her reflexes. I remember that. The improvement was huge.

Now Ana's footwork is suspect at best, and it really shows where she will hit besides getting her in awkward positions. It has been worse though.. I think it's getting sloooooooowly better. Not on clay though.. on clay she mostly looks like Elephant on ice. :lol: Her HC movement this year was better than 2011 though I think.

She was sooo slow in 2011, let's forget about that awful first part of the season. We should not forget that we are discussing her chances to beat top 4 and last year we were discussing her chances to beat Tatashvilli or something like that. :scared: Not to mention that this field is much stronger. Ana has really improved.

She actually won a few points off the slice in the Sharapova match.. its not great but at least it gave her a chance because those CC BH rallies are suicide.

I was talking about bh slice dtl. The first thing I remember is grass season 2011 and Ana netting those dtl slices. :sad:

It restart points, gets her out of BH rallies and usually gives her a chance to hit a FH.

This x1000. That's exactly how she was able to defend the bh wing every time she played really good this year. Lindsay was talking about it too, I remember. She must learn to defend that wing and hit the fh winner when she gets the chance.

gaviotabr
May 20th, 2012, 01:27 AM
Simple is perhaps the best description. For me it's flat, but flat forehands are often connected to speed and it can be confusing because all that Aga does is redirecting the pace, but it's passive. Ana's crappy fh is much better than Aga's peak forehand anyway, for numerous reasons.

I think there might be a confusion between the meaning and the word. Loopy doesn't equal moonball.. its just an airy, weightless shot.

Agreed Ana's FH is better than Aga's.. but they are such different players.. Aga wins matches by being consistent and exploiting weeknesses. Ana relies on her FH and serve to win matches.. so her weapon, her FH, really needs to regain what once made it so special. It was one of the best FHs in the game.. now I think its just among the good ones.. it needs to have that extra spark back for her to be a special player and not just another one in the top 20 bunch.

Luckily, even her natural forehand is a monster. :lol: I believe that Nigel has a lot of problems with that, I even have some crazy explanation.

What explanation? You got me curious!

It's usually flat and fast when she hits a return winner or the final winner after some longer point. It can be very fast, but generally its biggest quality wasn't the speed itself.

When Ana goes for it, it can be fast and flat.. or when she uses the pace of the serve in a return winner.. Its biggest quality back in the days it was a major weapon was its weight of shot though, not the speed itself. She use to only need 1 FH to win a point.

I think that we get the same impression while watching it, but we obviously have different explanation for it, but we agree that it should be heavier.

Yes.. I'm thinking exactly that.. we probably just mess with the meaning of words, but see the same. It definitely needs to be heavier.. but she holds back on it too much so even if she gained weight, hitting like that she is not putting weight behind it.

Regardless of opponents and the field, her forehand looked much more impressive in Bali than it looked on some other surfaces. Then again, I believe that at this point she would win Fes or Estoril easily, her game and mentality has really improved, but it's not even an option at the moment, she must make a big result where it matters, not in Fes.

Besides the surface in Bali helping her FH, I do think Ana was going for her FH way more in Bali and Beijing last year than at any tournament this year. I think it has a bit to do with the back niggles she had. Ana knew she couldn't afford big rallies, so she went for her FH. That's how she should play.. she is really pulling back on her FH this year. Even in IW, which was, IMHO, her best level tournament this year (regardless of result, it was where she played better tennis for me), she wasn't going for her FH as much as Beijing+Bali last year. Sometimes I wonder why is that.. I remember Nigel said after Bejing vs Zvonareva that it was like that how Ana should play. Then this year in multiple interviews Ana has said Nigel is making her add spin and rally more with the FH. I don't think those 2 statements are compatible.. they just mean different kinds of games.

I agree Ana's game and mentality has somehow improved a bit.. there is still a long way to go to reach the level she says she wants, a real top 10 level, but she has made progress. And also agree she now needs to make some results in tournaments that matter, not in small ones.

That loopy forehand, I think that she hits it when she's pushing, she'll still hit it flat when she's attacking, but that flat fh with no weight is harmless against Masha or Vika. Masha's shots are flatter, Vika takes the ball very early and Ana doesn't have a time to flatten it again, so she hits those wannabe mooonballs. She takes the ball a bit late, so she really needs the attacking fh to be perfect. But it has to be perfect against top 4 + some other in form player, her current fh is still good enough for 85% of field, but it has to be the best in the world if she wants to be really, really, really baaaaackkkkk!!!!1111 :lol:

I think Ana hits it loopy a lot of times.. even when she is supposed to attack she holds back a lot. Especially when she hits it inside out, its mostly lame/tight/heldback shot.

I don't think her attacking FH necessarily needs to be perfect against big players.. but she actually needs to go all out with it, really commit to the shot and don't hold back.. she needs to go for it. SPs against Masha for an example.. she had about 5 balls to her FH and she didn't really go for a single one.

As we were saying.. her game is getting more solid.. so she can keep some consistency and beat the scrubs.. but against top players + players in good form she needs to raise level, really go for shots and commit to them, and that she hasn't done. That's why sometimes I feel like the way they are working on her game will mostly avoid upsets, but will also limit its potential.

Maybe it's all about her reflexes and it's always been kinda weakness. She wants to attack and have it all on her racket, but when those balls come back very fast, she can't react properly.

I don't think Ana faces her game these days as wanting it all on her racket.. she hasn't been a full attacking player for quite some time now IMHO. I do agree she doesn't have the best reflexes and needs to work on that.. I remember once in 2008 Sven saying how Ana had a hard time reacting to returns of serves that weren't right at her reach and that they were working on that.. I guess that's something that demands practice from Ana.

Remember those training videos. He was exactly working on her reflexes. I remember that. The improvement was huge.

Yep. Ana improved a lot on footwork and reflexes while with Scott. I*'m not sure to which point Nigel is going to work on that.. he has so much to oversee and look for.. I really think she needed a fitness coach, but well..

She was sooo slow in 2011, let's forget about that awful first part of the season. We should not forget that we are discussing her chances to beat top 4 and last year we were discussing her chances to beat Tatashvilli or something like that. :scared: Not to mention that this field is much stronger. Ana has really improved.

haha True... Or Larsson.. or Mattek Sands.. jezz.. What we've been through! It's slowly getting better... let's see how much better it can get.

I was talking about bh slice dtl. The first thing I remember is grass season 2011 and Ana netting those dtl slices. :sad:

This x1000. That's exactly how she was able to defend the bh wing every time she played really good this year. Lindsay was talking about it too, I remember. She must learn to defend that wing and hit the fh winner when she gets the chance.

Lindsay Davenport? I really like her as a commentator.

And yes.. agreed 100%.

BTW, I'm really enjoying our little debate. :D

Cajka
May 20th, 2012, 02:11 AM
What explanation? You got me curious!

Someone from this board saw them practicing in Birmingham last year and it was before she hired him officially. She reached the SF then and it all makes sense. I mean, it's exactly the occasion where the two of them could've met and decide to work together. In that moment Ana had only her serve. She lost like almost... 10 kilos during the 6 months or even less. Србија says that she has lost like 3 kilos since RG 2008, but we are girls and I think that we know that it can't be true. :lol: 3 kilos would never be visible on such a tall woman. Anyway, 11 months ago she was coachless, lost, she had no game plan, she had only her serve, some shadow of what used to be her forehand + bh slice. She didn't know if she was supposed to push now that she lost the weight or to attack although she probably felt that her shots are not what it used to be, so Nigel came with the plan to make her hit that fh deep, but not to risk too much. It was a good plan because she had to stop losing. We all noticed that it was not Ana's tennis that we enjoyed watching, but it was the only thing that she could do back then. Now, that he finally convinced her to work in a gym, he must try to convince her that she's the one who should wear the pants, but there's also her fragile mentality to deal with. He has had the success, she played well in Beijing, Bali, IW and in some other matches, but we witnessed many situations when she didn't listen to his advices, so it's really challenging for him, but he's no superman. I'm sure that they have great training sessions, but I'm not so sure that Ana has the guts to show all the things that they were working on. This story can be longer, but it's enough for now.

Besides the surface in Bali helping her FH, I do think Ana was going for her FH way more in Bali and Beijing last year than at any tournament this year.

Exactly. And that's because she knows that she can't defend her fh on that surface, so she's forced to go for her shots.

I agree Ana's game and mentality has somehow improved a bit.. there is still a long way to go to reach the level she says she wants, a real top 10 level, but she has made progress. And also agree she now needs to make some results in tournaments that matter, not in small ones.

She needs a psychologist too. Srbija says that she reads a lot about it, but - come on, even shrinks have their own shrinks. Not to mention that if you're not educated enough, those books can be even harmful. As a doctor, I believe that you met many people who set themselves the wrong diagnosis by reading some crap from google etc.

Yep. Ana improved a lot on footwork and reflexes while with Scott. I*'m not sure to which point Nigel is going to work on that.. he has so much to oversee and look for.. I really think she needed a fitness coach, but well..

She ignores that problem, maybe she doesn't want anyone but Scott... But she knows that it's impossible now.

Lindsay Davenport? I really like her as a commentator.

Eloquent, intelligent... I used to be her fan.

BTW, I'm really enjoying our little debate. :D

Me too. GM is a zoo, really, there's no way to discuss anything and many people left this board because it's not easy to follow Ana when she's playing awful. Even now that there's an improvement, people don't believe in her and I don't blame them.

azdaja
May 20th, 2012, 10:42 AM
Me too. GM is a zoo, really, there's no way to discuss anything
you are being too harsh. most sports forums are like that - fans arguing. i hang around on other sports forums as well and you won't find the kind of the discussion that you are having here in many places. even players forums are more for socialising than for analysing a player's game.

18majors
May 20th, 2012, 12:00 PM
Someone from this board saw them practicing in Birmingham last year and it was before she hired him officially. She reached the SF then and it all makes sense. I mean, it's exactly the occasion where the two of them could've met and decide to work together. In that moment Ana had only her serve. She lost like almost... 10 kilos during the 6 months or even less. Србија says that she has lost like 3 kilos since RG 2008, but we are girls and I think that we know that it can't be true. :lol: 3 kilos would never be visible on such a tall woman. Anyway, 11 months ago she was coachless, lost, she had no game plan, she had only her serve, some shadow of what used to be her forehand + bh slice. She didn't know if she was supposed to push now that she lost the weight or to attack although she probably felt that her shots are not what it used to be, so Nigel came with the plan to make her hit that fh deep, but not to risk too much. It was a good plan because she had to stop losing. We all noticed that it was not Ana's tennis that we enjoyed watching, but it was the only thing that she could do back then. Now, that he finally convinced her to work in a gym, he must try to convince her that she's the one who should wear the pants, but there's also her fragile mentality to deal with. He has had the success, she played well in Beijing, Bali, IW and in some other matches, but we witnessed many situations when she didn't listen to his advices, so it's really challenging for him, but he's no superman. I'm sure that they have great training sessions, but I'm not so sure that Ana has the guts to show all the things that they were working on. This story can be longer, but it's enough for now.

Exactly. And that's because she knows that she can't defend her fh on that surface, so she's forced to go for her shots.

She needs a psychologist too. Srbija says that she reads a lot about it, but - come on, even shrinks have their own shrinks. Not to mention that if you're not educated enough, those books can be even harmful. As a doctor, I believe that you met many people who set themselves the wrong diagnosis by reading some crap from google etc.

She ignores that problem, maybe she doesn't want anyone but Scott... But she knows that it's impossible now.

Eloquent, intelligent... I used to be her fan.

Me too. GM is a zoo, really, there's no way to discuss anything and many people left this board because it's not easy to follow Ana when she's playing awful. Even now that there's an improvement, people don't believe in her and I don't blame them.

Both you and Gaviotabr are so passionate, it's rare to see anywhere.

Cajka
May 20th, 2012, 01:40 PM
you are being too harsh. most sports forums are like that - fans arguing. i hang around on other sports forums as well and you won't find the kind of the discussion that you are having here in many places. even players forums are more for socialising than for analysing a player's game.

I'm not harsh, the fact that other sport forums are no better doesn't make it look different. And those other sports are team sports, this is WTA, so it's a completely different kind of fighting. Sometimes those fights are fun, but for the most time it's Aga's fans vs. Vika's fans or something like that and it looks like a zoo.

gaviotabr
May 20th, 2012, 01:59 PM

Ok, thanks! Interesting.. is Ana working in the gym?

But that's the thing.. she should go into every match, no matter the surface, with that mentality, to go for her shot. Playing the average game will never make Ana a special player.. pretty much kills her differential.

Yes, definitely. I've always thought Ana needed someone to work with her on the mental side of the game. Reading about psychology isn't even good for her.. she can create misconceptions. There are specific techniques to improve focus, concentration, get stronger mentally at clutch time.

I can't even take GM.. only go there as a last option.

gaviotabr
May 20th, 2012, 02:02 PM
I'm watching SharapovaxNaLi. Li playing really well, but Sharapova is as bad as the match against Ana. This shows how important that first set was... Li took her chance to win that competitive 1st set, and then Sharapova just unraveled. Serving first has also helped Li.. puts pressure on Masha. I wonder why Ana chose to receive when she won the toss.

gaviotabr
May 20th, 2012, 02:36 PM
I'm watching SharapovaxNaLi. Li playing really well, but Sharapova is as bad as the match against Ana. This shows how important that first set was... Li took her chance to win that competitive 1st set, and then Sharapova just unraveled. Serving first has also helped Li.. puts pressure on Masha. I wonder why Ana chose to receive when she won the toss.

I totally jinxed Na Li.. from 4-0 to 4-6 in the second set.

Cajka
May 20th, 2012, 02:38 PM
Ok, thanks! Interesting.. is Ana working in the gym?

2 or 3 months ago she said that she works in a gym few times a week, not every day. I guess that she still does. :shrug:

Yes, definitely. I've always thought Ana needed someone to work with her on the mental side of the game. Reading about psychology isn't even good for her.. she can create misconceptions. There are specific techniques to improve focus, concentration, get stronger mentally at clutch time.

I believe it's really difficult to improve, even if she's trying, but reading some book is wasting of time.

This match is such a mess. Na Li could've won AO imo if she wasn't so brainless.

gaviotabr
May 20th, 2012, 02:49 PM
2 or 3 months ago she said that she works in a gym few times a week, not every day. I guess that she still does. :shrug:

Oh.. I guess that's "going very carefully with fitness".

I believe it's really difficult to improve, even if she's trying, but reading some book is wasting of time.

It's not easy.. but needs specific work, an effort in that front.. just reading can make it even tougher.

This match is such a mess. Na Li could've won AO imo if she wasn't so brainless.

Maybe.. though she has lost both her matches against Vika this year.

gaviotabr
May 20th, 2012, 03:10 PM
Now Sharapova going off the boil again, while Li is starting to play well again. From *4-1 to 4-3 in the third.

Cajka
May 20th, 2012, 03:11 PM
Maria :facepalm: Watch her lose now.

gaviotabr
May 20th, 2012, 03:13 PM
Now Sharapova going off the boil again, while Li is starting to play well again. From *4-1 to 4-3 in the third.

Make it 4-4. :help:

gaviotabr
May 20th, 2012, 03:15 PM
Maria :facepalm: Watch her lose now.

Probably. 4 games in a row that she had nothing but wild errors.

Cajka
May 20th, 2012, 03:17 PM
I don't see her holding the serve now. Extremely pathetic performance from both.

gaviotabr
May 20th, 2012, 03:25 PM
I don't see her holding the serve now. Extremely pathetic performance from both.

She held. This match has been awful.. really bad quality overall.

Cajka
May 20th, 2012, 03:28 PM
It's been raining for a while. Nadal is totally winning the final. The courts will be slower, balls heavier...

gaviotabr
May 20th, 2012, 03:38 PM
It's been raining for a while. Nadal is totally winning the final. The courts will be slower, balls heavier...

His spin jumps up more on dry conditions. But playing on mud is never easy and Nadal is master of grinding.

gaviotabr
May 20th, 2012, 04:23 PM
This rain delay will last forever.. :tape:

gaviotabr
May 21st, 2012, 01:19 AM
I spent the day out.. just getting updated now.. so Sharapova won in the end. Ana lost to eventual quaterfinalist, finalist and champion on clay tournaments so far.

Men's final got postponed in the end..

Cajka
May 21st, 2012, 02:02 AM
I spent the day out.. just getting updated now.. so Sharapova won in the end. Ana lost to eventual quaterfinalist, finalist and champion on clay tournaments so far.

Men's final got postponed in the end..

In the end it looks good. Barthel was also in a very good position, she could've won the match.

gaviotabr
May 21st, 2012, 02:17 AM
In the end it looks good. Barthel was also in a very good position, she could've won the match.

Well... It's not bad... but it's not good either. I have an issue with how she lost those matches... wasting leads in all of them. And in the end, she couldn't get to a single QF, meaning all were early losses. At this point, even if she is losing to players who go far, losing early rounds can't really be considered good IMHO. I think she is in a stage she needs to produce results.. even if it is to be able to actually turn progress into concrete reality.

azdaja
May 21st, 2012, 09:46 AM
I'm not harsh, the fact that other sport forums are no better doesn't make it look different. And those other sports are team sports, this is WTA, so it's a completely different kind of fighting. Sometimes those fights are fun, but for the most time it's Aga's fans vs. Vika's fans or something like that and it looks like a zoo.
people in gm are very nasty but otherwise it's pretty much what i expect to see. internet forums are not the right medium for what you apparently hope to see, there is a reason why the expression tl;dr was created. serious debate exists only if you create subforums specifically for them, otherwise it's either people fighting and trolling or socialising. that's internet :shrug:

anyway, i see no reason not to be satisfied with ana right now. i hope to see some progress, of course, but things are going in the right direction. most of us will agree that ana puts herself under a lot of pressure so i will do the opposite and take it easy.

18majors
May 21st, 2012, 02:59 PM
people in gm are very nasty but otherwise it's pretty much what i expect to see. internet forums are not the right medium for what you apparently hope to see, there is a reason why the expression tl;dr was created. serious debate exists only if you create subforums specifically for them, otherwise it's either people fighting and trolling or socialising. that's internet :shrug:

anyway, i see no reason not to be satisfied with ana right now. i hope to see some progress, of course, but things are going in the right direction. most of us will agree that ana puts herself under a lot of pressure so i will do the opposite and take it easy.

As a Maria fan, I've never known what to expect when she plays Ana. It seems that Ana always outplays her but Maria somehow manages to win the matches.

Form wise, Ana is right there with Serena, Maria, Petra and Azarenka. It's just a matter of time before her ranking reflects that.

gaviotabr
May 21st, 2012, 03:21 PM
As a Maria fan, I've never known what to expect when she plays Ana. It seems that Ana always outplays her but Maria somehow manages to win the matches.

Form wise, Ana is right there with Serena, Maria, Petra and Azarenka. It's just a matter of time before her ranking reflects that.

It's a matter of brain actually.. :shrug:

18majors
May 21st, 2012, 08:19 PM
It's a matter of brain actually.. :shrug:

This performance analysis ranks Ana No. 6 in WTA performance after Serena, Maria, Azarenka, Radwanska and Kerber:

http://www.tenismaclari.com/Performance/

gaviotabr
May 22nd, 2012, 10:14 PM
Adidas line for fall:

http://a7.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/s720x720/532852_382720828425045_291186470911815_1225883_903 640419_n.jpg

http://a8.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/s720x720/536511_382721735091621_291186470911815_1225887_117 0663188_n.jpg

http://a3.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/s720x720/528673_382717211758740_291186470911815_1225860_162 555142_n.jpg

http://a3.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/305969_382719325091862_291186470911815_1225874_221 66549_n.jpg

I wonder why Adidas always has that magenta color for fall.. :tape::help:

Cajka
May 22nd, 2012, 10:27 PM
:facepalm:

hideous again

The 2nd Law
May 23rd, 2012, 01:54 AM
She will look nice in the Wimbledon dress, and I hope she wears the green one at the USO I'm so sick of magenta :lol:

Is Ana locked to Adidas forever? Adidas is my fave sporting brand but not for tennis :help: I want her to switch to Nike :hysteric:

gaviotabr
May 23rd, 2012, 01:59 AM
She will look nice in the Wimbledon dress, and I hope she wears the green one at the USO I'm so sick of magenta :lol:

Is Ana locked to Adidas forever? Adidas is my fave sporting brand but not for tennis :help: I want her to switch to Nike :hysteric:

Yep. She has a lifetime deal with Adidas...