PDA

View Full Version : anapolis general tennis discussion thread

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19 20 21

Davodus
May 27th, 2011, 03:05 PM
I remember she lost to Fran ,i just didn`t remember when exactly
Too bad on court coaching is not allowed at GS :p

Yeah it was QF, I remember her drama filled match with Pennetta in round 4 :lol:

On court coaching is clearly a massive help for her more than most other players. This just continues to show it :lol:

HowardH
May 27th, 2011, 03:21 PM
Thank you Daniela :cheer:. Dani hits the ball so cleanly but tends to tighten up so much. For a while I feared she was going to repeat what she did against Ana in AO 08. (You have to admit Ana was lucky it was Dani who had that lead against her and not some other opponent.) Now I have to wait a while for the GM thread to die down a little, so that when I bump it in GM people will actually have a chance to read my post. Well, that's the plan.

I intend to simply quote myself, because I have previously discussed why this kind of result is likely to happen, but I thought I'd put it here first, since you guys might be interested. I love to analyze, so if I go to GM this is the kind of thing I like to post. I purposely avoided mentioning Ana in the original post, so as not to draw the attention of haters. After all, if I mention that I believe Ana in any kind of form would destroy Caro, Carotards would be jumping all over me. And not in a good way. Plus, how relevant can you really say that Ana is to the current state of women's tennis right now? :o

This is from the Miami R3 thread, when Caro beat Dani 1 and 6. It was before Julia's wins over her, so I didn't mention her. It's a little bit of a change of pace for me to put any of my GM posts here, but you guys will hopefully enjoy it on this occasion, particularly those of you who don't visit GM. I don't post in GM all that often myself really, but I do read GM a bit. This was the most recent post I could find of myself analyzing Caro's game- from March.

I didn't make any mention of on-court coaching in this post. I suppose I could add something about that, but the reality is I believe that this is a side issue compared to the fact that in a slam, you need to win 7 matches, and more than likely one of them will be against a player who is hot, or a true elite player. Caro would need to avoid both in order to win such a tournament. Still, I'm sure the fact that on-court coaching is not allowed in slams does affect Caro more than many other players, since she relies on Piotr's coaching timeouts to serve two purposes- she gets advice and/or encouragement, and mentally it creates an extra factor for the opponent, who expects something to change and may lose their own rhythm. When she does it while struggling, it's almost a tactical timeout, where the advice is less important than attempting to break the flow of an opponent.

I will definitely not criticize Caro as a person. That's low. Just her game.

Caro is probably about as dominant as you can be as a no. 1 and still not be considered a favourite for a slam title. She has been all over most of the tour recently by being solid as a rock, fit, and by keeping the rally going. Because of her style though, in order to actually win slams she needs to do more than dominate most of the tour. She needs to find a higher level during the slams- which she doesn't have.

When players such as Dani start playing a bit better (or Bartoli in the second set of their final) you can see that Caro has a lot of trouble when the opponent gets hot. She can't lift her game and the match is not in her own hands. Unlike the WS, or the Belgian duo. Or Masha back when she could play. Caro is already playing at or near her highest level all the time- hence her solid results- so she cannot raise her game to match hot players. She cannot take full control of a match, but that's okay most of the time because most of the tour helps her out. But she is at the mercy of a player who can hit winners and play well (almost no one right now then).

For her to win a slam she needs a number of things to happen. Firstly, everyone who is capable of a truly high level of play- above Caro's best- needs to be injured or to play very poorly. She actually is very close to this situation right now- Kim has shoulder worries, Serena, Venus out, Justine retired. Sharapova is a shadow of herself, Sveta is hopeless at the moment. She also needs to hope dangerous floaters like Petra or Li Na (who can't remember how to hit the ball in court right now) don't get hot and run into her.

The tour is a mess at the moment. Sharapova has been playing bad tennis, bar a few results, and yet she's going to re-enter the top ten. Hardly anyone is playing decent tennis. We have top 5 players like Sam slumping, and the 4 biggest names are missing in action or retired. Hence, miss-solid-as-a-rock Caro shines.

She's like a marathon runner who turns up every week and runs a decent time- not a record time. She can't run any faster, but she always finishes.

There is definitely a chance Caro picks up a slam, with the tour in the state it is in. If this happens it will lend some legitimacy to her reign (undermined however by the injury issues of the tour's elite), which is seen by many people as a sham. However, there has probably never been a player this dominant through most of the year (and she is dominant) who has not been considered a real slam favourite. Even if she picks up a slam though, which will somewhat end claims of her style being ineffective at slam level, people are entitled to criticize her play style as unappealing. I don't enjoy watching her in the least.

I also think that people are overestimating how long Caro will be on top for. With the exception of the greats, few people are no. 1 for more than a year or two. This is her best chance for a slam, right now, while people are struggling with her, while the current great players are injured or out. If it passes, her chance may well not come again. I really do think people will eventually learn how to play her. I don't think she'll be no. 1 in 4 or 5 years. People ask, who will take over? It's hard to tell, but I really don't think she'll stay no. 1 for a prolonged period of time. Something will change, the way people play her will change. Top 10 for several years, yes.

The solidity of Caro can also be seen as a necessary stepping stone for the WTA to reach the next level. The next level will be reached by overcoming the consistency of a player like Caro. Most of the WTA tour, quite frankly, never got past the "hit and miss" stage- Caro's presence could force the women's game to evolve further to handle extremely consistent ralliers.

jelenacg
May 27th, 2011, 03:22 PM
Yeah it was QF, I remember her drama filled match with Pennetta in round 4 :lol:

On court coaching is clearly a massive help for her more than most other players. This just continues to show it :lol:

All the wrong things she is doing show up at slams :oh:
It`s really hilarious :lol:

doni1212
May 27th, 2011, 04:00 PM
Great post Howard! Very thorough and complete analysis, :yeah:

gaviotabr
May 27th, 2011, 05:06 PM
Wow.. :lol:

Had tennis practice at 10am and missed all of this.

I really thought Caro had a dream draw this time. I guess not.

Howard's post sums it up perfectly. The thing with Caro and slams is that she will always be vulnerable to an inspired big hitter.. someone who will attack and not miss. And in slams the probability of getting at least one of these players is a lot higher than in regular tour tournaments. I think we could also add that Caro loses a step on clay, but this a loss like this is something that can happen in any surface. Dani is a clean hitter when she is on, and it seems she was on from the start to finish today.

gaviotabr
May 27th, 2011, 05:15 PM
DelPo x Novak.. is it even going to be played today?

gaviotabr
May 27th, 2011, 05:39 PM
DelPo x Novak.. is it even going to be played today?

Yes it is!

Ajde Nole!

Davodus
May 27th, 2011, 05:40 PM
really I think they should've just waited until tomorrow...they would be extremely lucky to finish.

gaviotabr
May 27th, 2011, 05:40 PM
really I think they should've just waited until tomorrow...they would be extremely lucky to finish.

Yes, I agree. I don't think they will finish.

azdaja
May 27th, 2011, 06:25 PM
so, who said caro had a good chance to win here? :oh: i'll be really surprised if she ever wins a slam and that in spite of total chaos on tour right now.

and looking at what's happening in women's draw you can clearly see that wta tour is a complete trainwreck :lol:

nole wins the first set. i really want to witness some history, he has to win this tournament.

Cajka
May 27th, 2011, 07:05 PM
Oh, Nole. I'm angry now. :o

gaviotabr
May 27th, 2011, 07:18 PM
Novak.. :o

He missed so many opportunities in the 2nd set. He had clear chances to break Delpo's serve at least 2 times, and he kept hitting to his FH. Nole needs to pick on the BH. Delpo's FH is his best shot after all.

Now it will finish tomorrow.. Nole better bring it. This is going to be very tough.

azdaja
May 27th, 2011, 07:19 PM
i think the break should suit novak more than del potro.

gaviotabr
May 27th, 2011, 07:25 PM
i think the break should suit novak more than del potro.

At the moment yes.. I don't think Novak is playing as well as he has to in order to win. He can recharge, rethink the strategy and come on fire tomorrow.

But playing 5 sets in a row would definitely have benefited Novak, as he is the fitter guy. Now they have a best of 3 tomorrow.

gaviotabr
May 28th, 2011, 12:36 PM
Novak x DelPo to resume now. Do your winning thing Nole! Ajde!

gaviotabr
May 28th, 2011, 01:12 PM
Oh noes... Novak is playing like crap.. missing and missing.

Let's not Novak. Wake up!

Davodus
May 28th, 2011, 01:32 PM
He woke up :lol: playing well now

gaviotabr
May 28th, 2011, 01:35 PM
Better now. Just took the 3rd set. Come on Novak, one more set! Ajde!

gaviotabr
May 28th, 2011, 01:41 PM
We say that and he goes all dumb in the first game of the 4th. :o

gaviotabr
May 28th, 2011, 02:05 PM
Novak... :o Gifting one break back.. :o

gaviotabr
May 28th, 2011, 02:08 PM
Good! Serve it out!

gaviotabr
May 28th, 2011, 02:15 PM
Great for Nole. 42 straight win.

Pity of a draw for DelPo. Could've done a lot better with a more favorable draw.

jelenacg
May 28th, 2011, 02:39 PM
Yeah too bad Delpo is out,if only he was in kubot`s part of the draw
Still i`m glad to see him playing better and improving
I liked their hug at the net :hearts: :hearts:

gaviotabr
May 29th, 2011, 11:46 AM
Woman's RG is so open.. I really have no idea who is going to win this. It might be just about anyone..

Sharapova hasn't played as well as in Rome.. if she doesn't pick it up, I'm not sure she will beat Radwanska tomorrow.

gaviotabr
May 29th, 2011, 11:46 AM
Zvonareva shouldn't have fired Sergey Demekhin. Since she did she has been playing about 10 times worse.

Davodus
May 29th, 2011, 12:24 PM
Yeah, I really cannot understand her thinking...they were doing such a good job together, and now she is playing like crap, and she plays very passively too. Really strange decision making.

gaviotabr
May 29th, 2011, 12:32 PM
Yeah, I really cannot understand her thinking...they were doing such a good job together, and now she is playing like crap, and she plays very passively too. Really strange decision making.

I don't get it either.. You just don't change a winning team.

I didn't even think Pavs played all that well.. Vera's tactics were :banghead: She kept hitting high balls for Pavs to crush and wasn't making her run.

gaviotabr
May 29th, 2011, 01:18 PM
Montanes is such a headcase.. My commentator just said he must have brain cramp. :spit:

Fognini doesn't move, but Montanes can't do a thing about it.

doni1212
May 29th, 2011, 01:22 PM
Fognini's attitude though, :o
The French are going to hate him after last year and then this year. Although I was on his side last year when they forced him to play in the dark!

doni1212
May 29th, 2011, 01:23 PM
And I've been watching this match since Roger went up 2 sets and now I see Stan is up 4-1 in the third! :eek: :scratch:

gaviotabr
May 29th, 2011, 01:28 PM
OMG Montanes.. :spit: 5 MPs wasted against an opponent who can't walk..

He is really doing his best to lose.

gaviotabr
May 29th, 2011, 01:30 PM
Fognini to serve for the match now. :spit:

gaviotabr
May 29th, 2011, 01:39 PM
And Fognini won. :spit:

Montanes :banghead:

Matches are played with the body but won with the mind.

jelenacg
May 29th, 2011, 01:45 PM
Montanes-Fognini :spit:
I still don`t get how Montanes managed to lose this match :help:
Our commentator was laughing,but he is an idiot anyway :lol:

Davodus
May 29th, 2011, 02:06 PM
Montanes I just cannot believe how dumb he is :sobbing: Fognini couldn't even walk, what is wrong with him :lol:

gaviotabr
May 29th, 2011, 02:38 PM
Fran, will you please stop choking. Thanks.

Davodus
May 29th, 2011, 02:39 PM
Yes, please :lol:

gaviotabr
May 29th, 2011, 02:56 PM
I would like to know why on Earth Fran keeps serving to JJ's BH. Hasn't she heard it's JJ best shot? :scratch: She will hit BH DTL winners.. :shrug:

Davodus
May 29th, 2011, 02:58 PM
Fran needs to get it together because she needs to win this in 2.

gaviotabr
May 29th, 2011, 03:06 PM
Schiavone.. :banghead: About 10 BPs wasted in this set alone.

gaviotabr
May 29th, 2011, 03:07 PM
Fran needs to get it together because she needs to win this in 2.

Doesn't look likely.. :o

This looks so much like her match against Woz at AO. :o

Davodus
May 29th, 2011, 03:09 PM
Well she has no ability to convert BP now :o so in 3 it will have to be fran :mad:

gaviotabr
May 29th, 2011, 03:30 PM
Well she has no ability to convert BP now :o so in 3 it will have to be fran :mad:

Schiavone is doing her best to waste all her Bps and Gps.. :o

gaviotabr
May 29th, 2011, 03:34 PM
I think this Fran BH miss might seal this set. Really.. whole court open.. only had to push to the open space and she nets it? WTF?

gaviotabr
May 29th, 2011, 03:37 PM
And she keeps serving to JJ's BH. Yeah Fran, that is the best option for you to hold your serve.. NOT.

She is deserving to lose this match out of dumb tactics.

Davodus
May 29th, 2011, 03:44 PM
Fran :o ridiculous.

gaviotabr
May 29th, 2011, 04:11 PM
Fran is almost making me root for Jankovic. She is playing SO dumb it's not even funny.

On BP, awful drop shot.. Jankovic just pushes it back and runs to the middle of the court leaving the whole DTL open. Fran hits a ball right into JJ's racquet.

gaviotabr
May 29th, 2011, 04:12 PM
JJ, congrats. You just got gifted a match. Make the best out of it.

Davodus
May 29th, 2011, 04:13 PM
She is playing so dumb I cannot understand her tactics. Really ridiculous, so much into the BH and then terrible dropshots

Davodus
May 29th, 2011, 04:18 PM
Jankovic is hitting so short! But Schiavone just waits for the ball behind the baseline...

gaviotabr
May 29th, 2011, 04:31 PM
Schiavone only won because JJ went all super passive.

jelenacg
May 29th, 2011, 04:38 PM
JJ, congrats. You just got gifted a match. Make the best out of it.

:lol:
As alway jinx master :worship:

Anyway congrats to Fran .You can always count on warrior princess to get so passive and just wait for the opponents errors in decisive moments of the match
At least now JJ`s fans can`t say Fran was lucky last year ,or maybe they can ...
Everyone is lucky but JJ ,i wonder why :spit:
Also :lol: at Mats Wilander saying JJ will win RG :worship:

gaviotabr
May 29th, 2011, 04:41 PM
As alway jinx master :worship:

Anyway congrats to Fran .You can always count on warrior princess to get so passive and just wait for the opponents errors in decisive moments of the match
At least now JJ`s fans can`t say Fran was lucky last year ,or maybe they can ...
Everyone is lucky but JJ ,i wonder why :spit:
Also :lol: at Mats Wilander saying JJ will win RG :worship:

I told JJ to make the best out of it! She didn't listen to me.. went all passive. :o

jelenacg
May 29th, 2011, 04:46 PM

I told JJ to make the best out of it! She didn't listen to me.. went all passive. :o

And that`s a bad thing :scratch:

Fran is not in great form imo but she has the guts .This match shows why Fran has slam and JJ doesn`t

Davodus
May 29th, 2011, 04:47 PM
But then again, when it got close Schiavone took it on, serve and volley, came to net...she was the one who went after the win and Jankovic waited for it to come to her, so the right winner won :p

gaviotabr
May 29th, 2011, 04:54 PM
And that`s a bad thing :scratch:

Fran is not in great form imo but she has the guts .This match shows why Fran has slam and JJ doesn`t

Yeah, very few players have as much guts and heart as Fran.

But then again, when it got close Schiavone took it on, serve and volley, came to net...she was the one who went after the win and Jankovic waited for it to come to her, so the right winner won :p

Exactly... wins don't fall from the sky.. you gotta make them happen. Ana used to be so good at that.. :sobbing: Remember when she went all "I'm going to hit winners left and right" on JJ in 2008? Good old times.. :sobbing:

azdaja
May 29th, 2011, 04:56 PM
i think people who would hate it if jj or caro won a grand slam shouldn't be biting their nails, it is unlikely to happen anyway :shrug: and yes, i think that about caro too even though that might not be as obvious as with jj. as for jj, if it wasn't obvious last year already then this must settle it.

i actually think it would be hilarious if ranceska defends her title here :spit: however i still have people i actually like in the draw so i won't be rooting for just yet.

gaviotabr
May 29th, 2011, 04:59 PM
i think people who would hate it if jj or caro won a grand slam shouldn't be biting their nails, it is unlikely to happen anyway :shrug: and yes, i think that about caro too even though that might not be as obvious as with jj. as for jj, if it wasn't obvious last year already then this must settle it.

i actually think it would be hilarious if ranceska defends her title here :spit: however i still have people i actually like in the draw so i won't be rooting for just yet.

Who are you rooting for?

jelenacg
May 29th, 2011, 05:09 PM
I`m now ok with pretty much everyone left in the draw winning RG :lol:
But i`ll be cheering for Masha ,after seeing what she has been through with injury and everything i warmed up to her :angel:

azdaja
May 29th, 2011, 05:13 PM
Who are you rooting for?
out of the remaining players andrea is clearly closest to my heart, so i'll support her no matter what, even though i like makiri too :hug: otherwise i wouldn't mind sveta winning it all, actually. i'm meh about sharpie (plus she stands in andrea's way). add to that na li and you have players i'm ok with. once they are out i won't care at all. and it's not like i care as much as i would with ana still in the competition :rolleyes:

Davodus
May 29th, 2011, 05:17 PM
Exactly... wins don't fall from the sky.. you gotta make them happen. Ana used to be so good at that.. :sobbing: Remember when she went all "I'm going to hit winners left and right" on JJ in 2008? Good old times.. :sobbing:

Yeah that was a similar situation...when it got close Ana got very aggressive and looked to hit her forehand, to take the ball out of the air with her forehand. Unfortunately, she has lost all ability to do that :o but Schiavone did it today :lol:

Ivanovic2008
May 29th, 2011, 06:22 PM
At least Ana will always have her slam....

Cajka
May 29th, 2011, 06:56 PM
I dreamed that Bartoli won RG. I'm so afraid that it will come true.

18majors
May 29th, 2011, 07:31 PM
I feel sorry for JJ that she probably will finish her career without a slam title.

gaviotabr
May 29th, 2011, 07:51 PM
I'm hoping for a Sveta x Fran AO rematch in the RG semis.. could really be a lot of fun!

Kuznetsova proves time and again how important it is to have the right team on your side. I saw her make a mess out of her tennis losing to Greta Arn in Rome, and just 2 weeks later, after going back to Larissa Sevchenko, she is playing some awesome tennis. Also really holding it together mentally.

18majors
May 29th, 2011, 10:28 PM
^Kuznetsova is one the biggest surprises of 2011 RG. She has a chance to reach the final and possibly wins her 3rd slam title.

azdaja
May 30th, 2011, 04:40 AM
I feel sorry for JJ that she probably will finish her career without a slam title.
she will always have that fistpump immitation under her belt :cheer: and she has "personality", so why should she need gs titles :hearts:

Davodus
May 30th, 2011, 05:30 AM
And the best fans what a great sense of humour too, can't forget that :worship: Grand slams are nothing in comparison to that!

Cajka
May 30th, 2011, 10:56 AM
Na Li in QF of RG. :spit: Great! :rolleyes:

I just hope that Bartoli won't win the whole thing. :lol:

gaviotabr
May 30th, 2011, 11:47 AM
Na Li in QF of RG. :spit: Great! :rolleyes:

I just hope that Bartoli won't win the whole thing. :lol:

What do you have against Na Li? :lol:

I don't think Bartoli will win, honestly. I'm personally hoping for a Fran x Sveta semi. Their matches are always hilarously fun, and some awesome all court tennis.

gaviotabr
May 30th, 2011, 11:56 AM
Conditions seem to be worsening.. it's getting very cloudy. Could make Sharapova's life tougher against Radwanska.

Ana used to thrive in these conditions. I remember whenever there was a rainy tournament she would do well. She like the heavier balls. I also think that helps her play well in Rome at night. Ana is not a great night match player, but every night match I saw Ana play in Rome she did well, except for last years semi, though that started during the afternoon. The night conditions in Rome are heavier, which suits Ana's game.

For Sharapova it's the opposite though. She doesn't really work with heavy balls, her shots are fast shots much more than heavy shots. So for her, the drier the clay the better, as the balls travel faster through the air.

Davodus
May 30th, 2011, 12:12 PM
LiNa has done well, and she seems to adapt to clay pretty well...I think she is a definite possible winner here.

And yes, Radwanska will cause Sharapova a lot more problems in heavier conditions, especially if she goes into dropshot lob mode that drives Sharapova nuts :lol:

Cajka
May 30th, 2011, 12:53 PM

What do you have against Na Li? :lol:

It's not that I have something against her. I just can't believe what's happening. :sad: The players that are 22-26 should be at their prime now, but they disappeared. Nicole and Tatiana are retired. Anna and Ana are still there, but slumping. Safina is injured, JJ is old atm. Masha is on her way back, but we'll see if it's for real. There are very talented players like Šafarova, Sania, Kirilenko etc. But, they are useless. :sad: And we have those youngsters like Kvitova, but they are all mental midgets. :shrug: You can never mark them as a fav to win a slam. The only one who shows some signs of improving mentality is A. Pavl. She reminds me of Sveta sometimes.

Just look at the finalists of last few slams.

1. Serena. She dominated during the last few years and she didn't even care. She seemed to be bored on most of those events.
2. Kim. She gave a birth to a child and came to win at least 3 more slams. On USO 2009 she was really great. But this year in Australia she was also totally bored, like Serena.
3. Fran. She's 30 or 31 and she's making her best results now. She has more heart and will than all those young girls. Amazing.
4. Samantha. She played really good last year, but it's still weird that she made her best results as a 26 years old. But, OK.
5. Vera. She's a talented headcase, I know that. But she was also the one who made the best result as a 26 years old.
6. Henin. She reached a slam final after the retirement. It was enough for her to show up there.
7. Na Li. Now we see her playing her best tennis as a 29 years old.

It's all just crazy. Just crazy.

gaviotabr
May 30th, 2011, 05:00 PM
Uh oh.. Sharapova is so off, it's not even funny. She might have to pull a Serena again and crawl out of a hole. Radwanska super solid as usual.

gaviotabr
May 30th, 2011, 06:30 PM
Sharapova got into a see of errors from 2-0 up in the second. Radwanska to serve for the set at 5-4. A-Rad only has 8 UE for the whole match.

gaviotabr
May 30th, 2011, 06:44 PM
Just as I say that, Sharapova stops missing, fights.. saves 5 set points.. Radwanska misses a few shots.. and Sharapova is into the QFs 7-6 7-5.

jelenacg
May 30th, 2011, 06:48 PM
After watching this match how can anyone say tennis is not a mental game :shrug:
5 set points saved in second ,1-4 15-40 in first ,Masha mental giant :worship::worship:

gaviotabr
May 30th, 2011, 06:56 PM
After watching this match how can anyone say tennis is not a mental game :shrug:

Definitely.. tennis is 80% mental, that's fact!

5 set points saved in second ,1-4 15-40 in first ,Masha mental giant :worship::worship:

Masha just wants it.. you can sense it. She is going to fight her heart out in each match. And to quote Mardy Fish, very few players are as mentally strong as Masha out there.

Adrian1092
May 30th, 2011, 07:30 PM
Petko into QFs :woohoo: I hope she beats Masha to get into her first GS Semi. :yeah:

gaviotabr
May 30th, 2011, 07:37 PM
It's not that I have something against her. I just can't believe what's happening. :sad: The players that are 22-26 should be at their prime now, but they disappeared. Nicole and Tatiana are retired. Anna and Ana are still there, but slumping. Safina is injured, JJ is old atm. Masha is on her way back, but we'll see if it's for real. There are very talented players like Šafarova, Sania, Kirilenko etc. But, they are useless. :sad: And we have those youngsters like Kvitova, but they are all mental midgets. :shrug: You can never mark them as a fav to win a slam. The only one who shows some signs of improving mentality is A. Pavl. She reminds me of Sveta sometimes.

Just look at the finalists of last few slams.

1. Serena. She dominated during the last few years and she didn't even care. She seemed to be bored on most of those events.
2. Kim. She gave a birth to a child and came to win at least 3 more slams. On USO 2009 she was really great. But this year in Australia she was also totally bored, like Serena.
3. Fran. She's 30 or 31 and she's making her best results now. She has more heart and will than all those young girls. Amazing.
4. Samantha. She played really good last year, but it's still weird that she made her best results as a 26 years old. But, OK.
5. Vera. She's a talented headcase, I know that. But she was also the one who made the best result as a 26 years old.
6. Henin. She reached a slam final after the retirement. It was enough for her to show up there.
7. Na Li. Now we see her playing her best tennis as a 29 years old.

It's all just crazy. Just crazy.

Oh.. yeah.. I see what you mean. The WTA now is a whole big mess... that's clear for anyone to see.

I also think more mature players are a bit more stable emotionally and that makes a huge difference in performance. Tennis is over 80% mental.

Other than that.. Ana's generation is not called Generation suck with no reason. :shrug: Pretty much only Ana and Sharapova from her age group were real top players. Masha is coming back due to pure will, and Ana.. well, we know how Ana is doing. It's like a lost generation. So there is sort of a void.. I also think there isn't many big talents of the generation right after Ana's. We have Caro and Vika.. but not many more who can be top 5 IMHO. In the meantime, the older, more mature, more stable players take advantage.

gaviotabr
May 30th, 2011, 07:38 PM
Petko into QFs :woohoo: I hope she beats Masha to get into her first GS Semi. :yeah:

I think it's going to be quite a tough match. :yeah:

jelenacg
May 30th, 2011, 07:41 PM
Definitely.. tennis is 80% mental, that's fact!

Masha just wants it.. you can sense it. She is going to fight her heart out in each match. And to quote Mardy Fish, very few players are as mentally strong as Masha out there.

True ,Masha`s fighting spirit is impressive. And i enjoyed the drama :lol: Some good points also
Masha at the net was surprisingly impressive today :lol:
QFs will be interesting

jelenacg
May 31st, 2011, 01:57 PM
Fran is starting to get on my nerves :lol:
Can`t wait till someone finally sends her home

fANAtic
May 31st, 2011, 02:47 PM
I like Pavs. She so cute and fat.

gaviotabr
May 31st, 2011, 03:30 PM
Fran is starting to get on my nerves :lol:
Can`t wait till someone finally sends her home

Really? :lol: I'm hoping for a Fran-Sveta AO kind of rematch in the semis. :lol:

I couldn't watch today's match though.

doni1212
May 31st, 2011, 03:42 PM
Yeah, I hope Sveta wins her QF so that match-up can happen!

gaviotabr
May 31st, 2011, 04:43 PM
Kuznetsova is at her dumb worse today.. :banghead:

Davodus
May 31st, 2011, 04:54 PM
Yes, yes she is :o

gaviotabr
May 31st, 2011, 05:06 PM
Oh Sveta.. that was one big dumb match.

Marion played well though.. :shrug:

gaviotabr
May 31st, 2011, 05:22 PM
That last game summed up the match. Sveta dumb dumb and Marion pumped up. Bartoli really wanted this, that's for sure. Girl WANTED it.

Davodus
May 31st, 2011, 05:40 PM
:o I thought Sveta would make the final, and now I think Bartoli will which is to me quite a joke on clay :o but she is fighting hard for it, so gotta give her credit.

gaviotabr
May 31st, 2011, 05:47 PM
:o I thought Sveta would make the final, and now I think Bartoli will which is to me quite a joke on clay :o but she is fighting hard for it, so gotta give her credit.

She is fighting her heart out. I don't really like Bartoli.. but it's always nice to see someone wanting something so badly and fighting so hard for it.

jelenacg
May 31st, 2011, 06:50 PM
Really? :lol: I'm hoping for a Fran-Sveta AO kind of rematch in the semis. :lol:

I couldn't watch today's match though.

Yeah i have mixed feelings
From one side i`m admiring her for fighting and giving her 200%,from the other i just want someone to crush her and send her home :shrug: :lol:
Interesting SFs in front of us,but somehow i think the winner of Azarenka/Masha match wins it all (if that match indeed happens) .

The 2nd Law
Jun 1st, 2011, 11:47 AM
I have a soft spot for Marion after I saw her train at the AO this year. The girl was really friendly to us, and she trains her absolute heart out. Plus, I love laughing at her antics pre serve/return :lol:

It would have annoyed me to see Sveta win, she's done nothing for a year and a half.

gaviotabr
Jun 1st, 2011, 02:30 PM
I couldn't watch the QFs today, but some compelling semis coming up.

JAS was right about Vika after all.. she seems to fade and her game gets picked apart everytime an opponent can keep her under pressure and match the intensity and pace of her shots.

Masha 2 matches away from a career slam.

It's funny though.. RG has 3 semi finalists who were complete clay mugs until very recently. :lol:

jelenacg
Jun 1st, 2011, 02:41 PM
I couldn't watch the QFs today, but some compelling semis coming up.

JAS was right about Vika after all.. she seems to fade and her game gets picked apart everytime an opponent can keep her under pressure and match the intensity and pace of her shots.

Masha 2 matches away from a career slam.

It's funny though.. RG has 3 semi finalists who were complete clay mugs until very recently. :lol:

I`m not sure why i think that Vika has been a real disappointment :shrug: I expected more ...
Masha has to win this.This is a life time opportunity :hysteric:
Bartoli in a final would be hilarious :oh:

gaviotabr
Jun 1st, 2011, 02:48 PM
I`m not sure why i think that Vika has been a real disappointment :shrug: I expected more ...
Masha has to win this.This is a life time opportunity :hysteric:
Bartoli in a final would be hilarious :oh:

Masha indeed has a life time opportunity. She has to take it!

18majors
Jun 1st, 2011, 08:38 PM
^I hope Maria takea FO without any hesitation. Slam opportunities are few and far in between for every player; just look at Vika and Woz.

At least Ana won 2008 FO and she is capable of winning more.

gaviotabr
Jun 2nd, 2011, 12:18 PM
Na Li is playing really well so far.

Masha.. :scared:

gaviotabr
Jun 2nd, 2011, 12:40 PM
It's really windy.

I'm going to have to go to university in 20 min.. I really wanted to watch this match. :(

gaviotabr
Jun 2nd, 2011, 12:41 PM
Ouch. That DF was ugly.

Sharapovian
Jun 2nd, 2011, 12:44 PM
Li is just playing too well, not really letting Maria do much.

gaviotabr
Jun 2nd, 2011, 12:53 PM
Li is just playing too well, not really letting Maria do much.

Yes, but the DFs don't help. 3 now to get broken.

Sharapovian
Jun 2nd, 2011, 12:57 PM
Yes, but the DFs don't help. 3 now to get broken.

Yeah those aren't helping her :o

Just watch her get broken for the set now :spit:

Sharapovian
Jun 2nd, 2011, 01:02 PM
Just watch her get broken for the set now :spit:

Called it :facepalm:

gaviotabr
Jun 2nd, 2011, 02:04 PM
I'm at university, so I didn't watch.. but it seems Sharapova literally double faulted the match away.

Na Li was playing very well in the little while I was watching. She can do what Ana did in 2008. Final at AO, win at RG.

gaviotabr
Jun 2nd, 2011, 02:12 PM
I recently read an article on Na Li.. and it talked about how getting a new coach did her wonders. Michael Mortensen, the coach in question, said he didn't change anything technical with her.. that her main issue was that she would just lose her head at times, so he was just focused on getting her focused, concentrated and in the right frame of mind.

A coach with this thought process would work out for Ana. It's not imposible to find one after all.. chosing the wrong, too technical coaches, not only did harm for Ana's game, it made her think the mistake was getting a coach in the first place. It was not.. it was picking the wrong coach. Picking the right one should be a goal. But it's not.. she is content with leftovers of someone who couldn't care less about her and who thinks it's just a matter of getting rhythm and being a tiny bit more positive. Yeah, right.

Davodus
Jun 2nd, 2011, 02:59 PM
Yeah, who knew it was so easy to find a good coach Ana :o Ana I think might fall into the trap of picking a coach on reputation, rather than what suits her style the best a lot of the time, which is why she always fires people...

gaviotabr
Jun 2nd, 2011, 05:01 PM
Yeah, who knew it was so easy to find a good coach Ana :o Ana I think might fall into the trap of picking a coach on reputation, rather than what suits her style the best a lot of the time, which is why she always fires people...

Exactly.. I think she picks the coaches based only on reputation and name.. and then ends up with a coach that wouldn't fit her.

And then she sees the mistake in the wrong places.. The mistake was not to go get a coach, like she seems to think it was.. the mistake was to chose one based on the name instead of on what project he had for her. But then again, at times I don't know if Ana has any clarity about what she should do or what her game has to be like. It's all so obvious, but she doesn't seem to see it.

gaviotabr
Jun 2nd, 2011, 05:02 PM
Schiavone into her second slam final. I have to say I really didn't see it coming before the tournament. She actually has a great chance of defending her title.

jelenacg
Jun 2nd, 2011, 05:29 PM
As soon as i saw it was windy i knew Masha was in trouble :tape:
Some friends came over and i was able only to see parts of the match
Congrats to Na Li :worship: amazing year so far .Huge opportunity missed for Maria :sad: But Rome title and RG semis on her worst surface ...not bad at all
I won`t be able to see tomorrows semis or finals but go Rafa and Nole :bounce:

Cp6uja
Jun 2nd, 2011, 06:47 PM
Schiavone into her second slam final. I have to say I really didn't see it coming before the tournament. She actually has a great chance of defending her title.You mean before the draw? She became big contender after get weakest part of draw (Oudin, Dolonts, Peng, Jankovic, Pavly, Bartoli) where in-slump Jankovic only accomplished opponent (and Jelena should to win that match BTW, despite bad 1-5 start). I really hope that Li Na will wins this (chances for both is around 50%).

gaviotabr
Jun 2nd, 2011, 08:29 PM
You mean before the draw? She became big contender after get weakest part of draw (Oudin, Dolonts, Peng, Jankovic, Pavly, Bartoli) where in-slump Jankovic only accomplished opponent (and Jelena should to win that match BTW, despite bad 1-5 start). I really hope that Li Na will wins this (chances for both is around 50%).

No.. I mean before the tournament. I saw Schiavone playing some appalling tennis in Madrid, Rome and Brussels.. and I thought she could lose to anyone. But she stepped on the Paris clay and fought her heart out, and honestly, played some really nice tennis along the way. Her heart and mind made the difference though. Jankovic could've won their match, as could Pavlyuchenkova.. but Schiavone rose above them with corageous play when it really mattered.

And I think she has a big chance of winning on saturday. Her mix of slice and top spin can bother Na Li. That was how Kim turned the match around in Melbourne. Na Li likes the pace coming at her, so she can redirect it. She doesn't really like to run around chasing low and high balls.

Can you believe it? Schiavone might be a 2 time slam champion before Ana... who would have thought that in 2008? And at this pace, Schiavone might win her 3rd before Ana even has a chance at another one.

azdaja
Jun 2nd, 2011, 08:54 PM
na na na na, na na na na, hey hey, come on :cheer:

a good final from my pow i'd say since i can live with either result, but let 中国 have their first gs winner :cheer:

was away for a few days, btw. caught some tennis though.

gaviotabr
Jun 3rd, 2011, 05:06 PM
Federer is playing really well.. and I think the 4 days off have definitely taken rhythm out of Novak. He had some very questionable shot selection so far. And he has been having some trouble moving.. getting hit behind all the time. Already wasted 2 SPs.. Tie break now.

gaviotabr
Jun 3rd, 2011, 05:10 PM
3 UEs in a row, and Federer wins the 1st set. :o

Novak is in big trouble now.. because as it gets darker, he has trouble seeing. :help:

gaviotabr
Jun 3rd, 2011, 05:13 PM
Oh noes.. Nole looks dejected. He had so many chances in the first set.

doni1212
Jun 3rd, 2011, 05:24 PM
I love both but I'm cheering for Roger. This has been a really, really good match!

gaviotabr
Jun 3rd, 2011, 05:27 PM
:sobbing: This match is over.. Novak had every chance to win the first set.. now he looks really down and dejected.

Still a great run by Nole. He will get to number 1 soon.

gaviotabr
Jun 3rd, 2011, 05:30 PM
I love both but I'm cheering for Roger. This has been a really, really good match!

I wanted to witness history. But Novak is down and out. He really took it hard the loss of the first set. Federer is playing very well though.

gaviotabr
Jun 3rd, 2011, 06:09 PM
Novak's footwork has gone south big time. He is getting stuck all the time.

gaviotabr
Jun 3rd, 2011, 07:25 PM
Nole.. :sobbing:

He served for the 4th set and blew it exactly like he blew his service game when he lead *4-2 in the first set. :sobbing:

gaviotabr
Jun 3rd, 2011, 07:43 PM
Oh Novak.. :sobbing: He really had tons of chances.. just couldn't take them. *4-2, 5-4* 40-15 in the first set, 5-4* in the tie break of the first set, *5-4 in the 4th set.. 2 BPs at 5-5..

Awesome season though. And he will get to number 1 eventually.

I think Rafa has RG in the bag though.

gaviotabr
Jun 3rd, 2011, 07:58 PM
I think the 4 days off really hurt Nole. :(

Federer played an amazing match though.

azdaja
Jun 3rd, 2011, 08:01 PM
I think Rafa has RG in the bag though.
i think so too. roger has no business in a rg final against rafa, nole would have been a better option. congrats to rafa on his 6th rg title :hatoff:

if the weather is nice i sure as hell won't be at home to watch another fedull rg final. rafale would have made me stay at home and watch it.

gaviotabr
Jun 3rd, 2011, 08:12 PM
i think so too. roger has no business in a rg final against rafa, nole would have been a better option. congrats to rafa on his 6th rg title :hatoff:

if the weather is nice i sure as hell won't be at home to watch another fedull rg final. rafale would have made me stay at home and watch it.

Yeah.. I'm not sure if I'll watch it or not.. will depend on what sunday brings.. :lol:

Rafole would have so much on the line.. Fedal has nothing really.. :shrug:

doni1212
Jun 3rd, 2011, 08:14 PM
I actually think Roger has a chance this year! We'll see what happens Sunday...

azdaja
Jun 3rd, 2011, 08:35 PM
Yeah.. I'm not sure if I'll watch it or not.. will depend on what sunday brings.. :lol:

Rafole would have so much on the line.. Fedal has nothing really.. :shrug:
boredom pure. we already know the winner. so, we can as well paint the walls at our apartments and watch the paint dry, it would be more exciting.

I actually think Roger has a chance this year! We'll see what happens Sunday...
i know you are fan, but don't be silly. i'm sure rafa is happy about his opponent.

jonnyroyale_13
Jun 4th, 2011, 05:53 AM
No.. I mean before the tournament. I saw Schiavone playing some appalling tennis in Madrid, Rome and Brussels.. and I thought she could lose to anyone. But she stepped on the Paris clay and fought her heart out, and honestly, played some really nice tennis along the way. Her heart and mind made the difference though. Jankovic could've won their match, as could Pavlyuchenkova.. but Schiavone rose above them with corageous play when it really mattered.

And I think she has a big chance of winning on saturday. Her mix of slice and top spin can bother Na Li. That was how Kim turned the match around in Melbourne. Na Li likes the pace coming at her, so she can redirect it. She doesn't really like to run around chasing low and high balls.

Can you believe it? Schiavone might be a 2 time slam champion before Ana... who would have thought that in 2008? And at this pace, Schiavone might win her 3rd before Ana even has a chance at another one.

Me too, didnt think Schiavone had a chance to defend before the event began. After the Kuznetsova/Hantuchova match, i was already penciling Kuzzy into the final on the top half.:o
Just got done watching both semis, Fran looks like shes in peak shape for the title. But ill be hoping for Li Na to pull it off. She took care of the Madrid, Rome and Miami champs pretty impressivley. I think it was Bruce Goose that mentioned last year that Li Na had lost to the eventual champion of each slam going back a ways, and aside from first round loss at the USO last year, it continues unless she wins.
Old news now, but im really upset with Vika's performance in the quarters.:( Li Na might have beat her even if shed played a better match, but that was a disappointment to watch.

gaviotabr
Jun 4th, 2011, 12:14 PM
Me too, didnt think Schiavone had a chance to defend before the event began. After the Kuznetsova/Hantuchova match, i was already penciling Kuzzy into the final on the top half.:o
Just got done watching both semis, Fran looks like shes in peak shape for the title. But ill be hoping for Li Na to pull it off. She took care of the Madrid, Rome and Miami champs pretty impressivley. I think it was Bruce Goose that mentioned last year that Li Na had lost to the eventual champion of each slam going back a ways, and aside from first round loss at the USO last year, it continues unless she wins.
Old news now, but im really upset with Vika's performance in the quarters.:( Li Na might have beat her even if shed played a better match, but that was a disappointment to watch.

I agree Jonny. Vika was disappointing. But then again, as JAS once said.. when Vika gets pressured, and the opponent can match her high pace game, her game breaks down. She could've played better though.. I thought she crumbled a bit.

Na Li has lost to the eventual champion for a long while.. let's see if I can remember.. She lost to Kim at USO 09, to Serena at AO 10, to Schiavone at RG 10, to Serena at W 10, to Kim at AO 11. The exception is the USO 10. And well.. now let's see what she does. Schiavone's game does bother her though, with the different spins and pace. Na Li likes constant pace coming at her, so she can redirect it. And Schiavone is peaking for RG. But.. everything can happen really. I'm hoping for a good match.

doni1212
Jun 4th, 2011, 01:27 PM
boredom pure. we already know the winner. so, we can as well paint the walls at our apartments and watch the paint dry, it would be more exciting.

i know you are fan, but don't be silly. i'm sure rafa is happy about his opponent.

I'm sure he's happy too, :lol:
I just think that the win against red-hot Novak gives Roger a huge boost in confidence and I was very impressed with several parts of his game yesterday, especially his serve.

gaviotabr
Jun 4th, 2011, 01:33 PM
Na Li playing very well so far. Just killing the ball.

Up 3-2 with a break.

gaviotabr
Jun 4th, 2011, 01:55 PM
Na Li is going to win this. Schiavone's tactics are brainless today.. hitting puffy shots to Li's FH? She will hit winners.

gaviotabr
Jun 4th, 2011, 02:09 PM
This match has been boring.. :o

gaviotabr
Jun 4th, 2011, 02:13 PM
Ok, now some really cool points from Na Li.

gaviotabr
Jun 4th, 2011, 02:38 PM
Wow.. Na Li really felt the moment.. :help: She is not finding the court right now.

gaviotabr
Jun 4th, 2011, 03:07 PM
Brilliant tie break from Na Li and she is the 2011 champion. Who would have thought Na Li would win her first slam on clay? :lol: Played really well all tournament.

She did what Ana did in 2008. AO runner up and RG champion.

gaviotabr
Jun 4th, 2011, 03:09 PM
Really bad overrule from the umpire with Li serving at 6-5* though. That was for set point, and it undid Schiavone big time. Didn't win a point after that.

Davodus
Jun 4th, 2011, 05:35 PM
My commentators were saying it was a great overrule because they thought the ball was definitely in :lol:

But still, Schiavone let it get to her way too much, and Li played flawless tennis in the TB to win it :worship: really amazing from her, her game looks so well rounded now.

jonnyroyale_13
Jun 5th, 2011, 01:28 AM
Pretty solid by Li in the final, well deserved champ. 4 top ten wins along the route. Why didnt she go hug her husband though?:lol:

azdaja
Jun 5th, 2011, 05:11 PM
I'm sure he's happy too, :lol:
I just think that the win against red-hot Novak gives Roger a huge boost in confidence and I was very impressed with several parts of his game yesterday, especially his serve.
well, it seems i was wrong about the boredom part, it seems to have been a very good match, but the result was still predictable. i just saw the last game and rafa was cruising, but all the other sets were close.

a great win for na li :yeah: btw, why do so many people insist on calling her li na? i know that's what they do in chinese, but we're speaking english, aren't we? :unsure:

gaviotabr
Jun 5th, 2011, 08:32 PM
I saw some of the final.. not much since we were having a barbacue with neighbours and friends at home. The little I saw Federer was missing shots he didn't miss against Novak. :o Anyway.. the result was obvious.

Congrats to Rafa!

gaviotabr
Jun 5th, 2011, 08:32 PM
well, it seems i was wrong about the boredom part, it seems to have been a very good match, but the result was still predictable. i just saw the last game and rafa was cruising, but all the other sets were close.

a great win for na li :yeah: btw, why do so many people insist on calling her li na? i know that's what they do in chinese, but we're speaking english, aren't we? :unsure:

I guess because she once said she prefers to be called this way.

gaviotabr
Jun 5th, 2011, 08:33 PM
I have to say I'm glad RG is over. Bring on the grass.

Pops Maellard
Jun 6th, 2011, 01:49 AM
I have to say I'm glad RG is over. Bring on the grass.
Same here.

Pops Maellard
Jun 6th, 2011, 01:50 AM
Last night I had a dream that Serena had started training again and that she sucked. She was hitting with Venus and could barely play, and Venus hit a 33mph ace past her. :sobbing:

Ivanovic2008
Jun 6th, 2011, 02:34 AM
Last night I had a dream that Serena had started training again and that she sucked. She was hitting with Venus and could barely play, and Venus hit a 33mph ace past her. :sobbing:

That makes it into my sig for this week :yeah:

:lol: Though.

jonnyroyale_13
Jun 6th, 2011, 03:03 AM

Looking at the recent posts, you might be referring to me:unsure: Definitely dont have any good reason to tell you why i do it, mightve picked it up from commentators early on that thats how to say it. Who knows...im gonna continue saying Li Na though:devil:

So what is the current status for Serena and Venus at Wimbledon?

Pops Maellard
Jun 6th, 2011, 04:16 AM
^ Apparently they're both playing.

gaviotabr
Jun 6th, 2011, 11:40 AM

I miss Serena!

gaviotabr
Jun 6th, 2011, 11:42 AM
I dreamt this night that Kvitova won Wimbledon and Vika won the USO. And then all players would have a meetting and Caro was crying to her dad: "Dad, why can everyone have slams but me? :sobbing:"

:hysteric:

InsideOut.
Jun 6th, 2011, 11:59 AM
That actually wouldn't be surprising :scared:

azdaja
Jun 6th, 2011, 12:55 PM
Looking at the recent posts, you might be referring to me:unsure: Definitely dont have any good reason to tell you why i do it, mightve picked it up from commentators early on that thats how to say it. Who knows...im gonna continue saying Li Na though:devil:
no, it's not just you. plenty of people do that and i'm sure they don't know what her first name and what her surname is.

I dreamt this night that Kvitova won Wimbledon and Vika won the USO. And then all players would have a meetting and Caro was crying to her dad: "Dad, why can everyone have slams but me? :sobbing:"

the caro part is actually funny :lol:

Pops Maellard
Jun 6th, 2011, 01:10 PM

:lol: That is classic.

gaviotabr
Jun 7th, 2011, 11:43 AM
Serena announced she is going to play Eastbourne and Wimbledon. I have to say I'm happy.. I've missed watching Serena play.

gaviotabr
Jun 13th, 2011, 11:56 AM
Lisicki just beat Hantuchova 6-3 6-2 to win Birmingham. It would be about the score Ana could've had if she had not been so keen on wasting BPs. Actually, Lisicki just showed how Dani can't really handle players who can get her on the defense all the time. If you get her streched out she is very likely to either miss or not get to the ball.

Linguae^
Jun 13th, 2011, 01:09 PM
Hantuchova is a stupid player. Hate her.

Cp6uja
Jun 14th, 2011, 12:21 AM
Ana should to not calculate (tank) Eastbourne even if she thinks that 5 grass matches is (more than) enough for Wimbledon preparation.
Especially she should not to be afraid about eventual match vs Venus on grass. I dont know about upcoming Wimbledon, but here in Eastbourne in 2nd round Venus is for sure not ready to play hers best game after such big pause.

gaviotabr
Jun 14th, 2011, 12:44 AM
Ana should to not calculate (tank) Eastbourne even if she thinks that 5 grass matches is (more than) enough for Wimbledon preparation.
Especially she should not to be afraid about eventual match vs Venus on grass. I dont know about upcoming Wimbledon, but here in Eastbourne in 2nd round Venus is for sure not ready to play hers best game after such big pause.

I agree Ana should try her best at Eastbourne. She is in a position she needs to try to take every chance of playing matches and gathering points.

But one match at a time. Before thinking of Venus, Ana needs to focus on beating Goerges.

18majors
Jun 14th, 2011, 12:52 AM
It will be a tough match. Goerges has been playing very well.

Sean.
Jun 14th, 2011, 09:53 AM
Tough match today. My only hope is that grass suits Ana's game much more, if Ana's smart should should be able to rush Julia's FH (because of the big swing). Also Julia's 2nd serve kicker will be less effective on grass and should bounce right into Ana's hitting zone.

18majors
Jun 14th, 2011, 10:07 AM
Will be tough against Julia. Good luck anyway!

gaviotabr
Jun 14th, 2011, 12:18 PM
I'm watching Serena.. she looks so nervous, which is understandable, but odd to see.

fANAtic
Jun 14th, 2011, 12:27 PM
What's wrong with Serena? She's moonballing.

gaviotabr
Jun 14th, 2011, 12:29 PM
What's wrong with Serena? She's moonballing.

Yeah. :help:

Doesn't look good at all. And Pironkova is actually playing well.

gaviotabr
Jun 14th, 2011, 12:30 PM
Serena's return is going to be tougher than expected.

fANAtic
Jun 14th, 2011, 12:33 PM
I was hoping she's gonna stop some scrub from winning Wimbledon, but Ana could beat this Serena.

gaviotabr
Jun 14th, 2011, 12:37 PM
I was hoping she's gonna stop some scrub from winning Wimbledon, but Ana could beat this Serena.

Yeah, this is pretty bad. The Ana of today, who was awful, would have a good chance against this Serena. :help:

Serena is also just rolling serves in. I'm hoping she picks it up.

gaviotabr
Jun 14th, 2011, 01:40 PM
Much better from Serena now. She needed some time to warm up.

doni1212
Jun 14th, 2011, 03:03 PM
So what do you guys have to say now? :lol:

fANAtic
Jun 14th, 2011, 04:02 PM
I knew she was gonna find a way to win in the end. A bit rusty, but it'll get better.
If by some miracle Ana fails to take this years Wimbledon, I hope Rena does.

gaviotabr
Jun 14th, 2011, 04:20 PM

Serena willed herself on. That's where the real champion shows up. But she definitely needs to improve and get more rhythm before Wimbledon. I like Serena, I'm hoping she plays well and wins against just about anyone but Ana.

gaviotabr
Jun 14th, 2011, 04:21 PM
It seems Kim hurt again her injured ankle in Rosmalen today. :(

Cajka
Jun 14th, 2011, 05:23 PM
I knew she was gonna find a way to win in the end. A bit rusty, but it'll get better.
If by some miracle Ana fails to take this years Wimbledon, I hope Rena does.

gaviotabr
Jun 16th, 2011, 12:05 PM
Watching Hantuchova take it to Venus now really puts Ana's performance in perspective. :facepalm:

I wonder if she sees how everyone seems to be able to give these players tough matches, but her. :(

Ana needs to believe more, fight more, stand up to these matches.. all she does is bow down.

I guess the biggest difference is the return... Hantuchova is getting the ball back after Venus serves, and that is enough for her to make a few errors and get frustrated. The fact that Ana was hitting most second serve returns to the bottom of the net gave Venus so much room in her own service games that she grew confident. Also the rallies.. Hantuchova is being able to go toeto toe for more than 4 shots.. Ana got 2 balls and most of the times she was toast, :(

I hope she takes the time after wimbledon to really get a good, fitting coach and work hard. She really needs it if she is ever going to be a good player again.

fANAtic
Jun 16th, 2011, 12:27 PM
Just what I wanted to write Izzy. Right now Danorex is making Ana look ridiculous.
Venus is in terrible shape, and she didn't know how to take advantage of that. She doesn't think on the court, she plays on feel. And if her feel is off, what's left?
It's not just Venus, she doesn't know how to return serves of much lesser players. What is her worthless management doing, why are they not finding her a good coach? I don't remember the last time I saw Holzman watching her play. If he doesn't care about her career anymore, change him as well.

jelenacg
Jun 16th, 2011, 12:33 PM
I don`t remember the last time Ana`s return was good :shrug: She makes anyone look like Karlovic :lol:

Regarding Wimbledon ,who do you think will win ,from mens i would say Rafa/Fed but from woman's part i have no idea :shrug:
WS definitely play better during GS ,especially Serena but they are not in good shape imo. And they are taking so much time between serves :lol:
Vera,Li Na ,Masha ,i really have no idea :confused:

gaviotabr
Jun 16th, 2011, 12:52 PM
Just what I wanted to write Izzy. Right now Danorex is making Ana look ridiculous.
Venus is in terrible shape, and she didn't know how to take advantage of that. She doesn't think on the court, she plays on feel. And if her feel is off, what's left?
It's not just Venus, she doesn't know how to return serves of much lesser players. What is her worthless management doing, why are they not finding her a good coach? I don't remember the last time I saw Holzman watching her play. If he doesn't care about her career anymore, change him as well.

Exactly. It seems like Ana can't see what is going on the other side of the net and can't adjust. Her attitude is, as usual, awful.. just bowing down.. giving up.. going on self-pity.. like "I can't do it anyway...". Then I read about how these past 2 weeks have been good and I see how low Ana's standards are now. She is really just accepting mediocrity. :(

If our only hope is Ana's management we are screwed. They know nothing about tennis. And I'm sure this played a big part in Ana making bad decision after bad decision in the past few years.

gaviotabr
Jun 16th, 2011, 12:53 PM
I don`t remember the last time Ana`s return was good :shrug: She makes anyone look like Karlovic :lol:

She hasn't really played at an actual high level for ages as well.. :sobbing:

Regarding Wimbledon ,who do you think will win ,from mens i would say Rafa/Fed but from woman's part i have no idea :shrug:
WS definitely play better during GS ,especially Serena but they are not in good shape imo. And they are taking so much time between serves :lol:
Vera,Li Na ,Masha ,i really have no idea :confused:

Anyone can win really.. I once dreamt Kvitova won. :lol:

jelenacg
Jun 16th, 2011, 01:20 PM
Anyone can win really.. I once dreamt Kvitova won. :lol:

Great now i`m afraid Kvitova will win Wimbledon ...
You and your magic powers :lol:

gaviotabr
Jun 16th, 2011, 01:32 PM

So much depends on the draw.. Kvitova is now losing to A-Rad in Eastbourne. :lol:

My dreams usually don't come true.. I once dreamt I was going to english class and walking down the street I looked at the sky and saw an Independence day style alien ship. And they wouldn't drop bombs, but Coke cans. :lol: Whoever touched the coke cans turned into rock. :lol:

I've also once dreamt that Ana won the USO. :sobbing:

gaviotabr
Jun 16th, 2011, 01:47 PM
And Hantuchova is serving for the match against Venus.

fANAtic
Jun 16th, 2011, 01:53 PM
My dreams usually don't come true.. I once dreamt I was going to english class and walking down the street I looked at the sky and saw an Independence day style alien ship. And they wouldn't drop bombs, but Coke cans. :lol: Whoever touched the coke cans turned into rock. :lol:

I've also once dreamt that Ana won the USO. :sobbing:

Lol, what a weird dream. Ana wining the USO?

gaviotabr
Jun 16th, 2011, 01:55 PM
And Hantuchova wins.

Venus was awful everytime she had to run.. not good movement. Almost always under pressure on her serve, because once Daniela got the ball back deep enough, Venus groud game has lots of glitches now.

Really puts in perspective Ana's performance. It might not have looked that bad.. but when you can't do a tiny thing to bother your opponent, you only play to the other strengths and you completely bow down, it is pretty bad.

:facepalm:

gaviotabr
Jun 16th, 2011, 01:58 PM
Lol, what a weird dream. Ana wining the USO?

Yeah.. go figure. I have no idea why it was the USO of all slams. But well.. it's the only slam in Ana's current ranking that is not a first round loss! :spit:

gaviotabr
Jun 16th, 2011, 02:04 PM
Oh well.. we can see Ana modelling Matthew Williamson tonight at the Wimbledon players party. Consolation... NOT.

:facepalm:

azdaja
Jun 16th, 2011, 05:25 PM
i still think the only way to safely predict a gs winner is to ask the guy who last year said "it's a pity, it's like francieska schiavone winning roland garros" to do the same for this year's wimbledon.

we could try our luck as well. it's a pity, it's like ana ivanovic winning wimbledon :unsure:

DAVAJ MKirilenko
Jun 17th, 2011, 09:19 AM
Isner - Mahut again :lol:

Cp6uja
Jun 17th, 2011, 11:55 AM
I'm surprised today following Wimbledon Radio, site and Twitter account during draw that after almost 150 years of organization of this event they is still able to make such big mistakes. The main (breaking) news during mans draw is that Nadal and Federer is in same half of draw, and same thing is happen with information that Serena and Venus is in same half. After whole draw is released we can see that they make big mistake in both this cases :tape:

azdaja
Jun 18th, 2011, 06:51 PM
if anyone is watching eastbourne final, janko's swearing was just :haha: this is gonna becoma a youtube legend if anyone provides the english translation :oh:

and just when he decided to tank the match. let's hope he calms down and tries his best tomorrow even though he is 2 breaks down. this could be very entertaining :oh:

Cajka
Jun 18th, 2011, 10:38 PM
if anyone is watching eastbourne final, janko's swearing was just :haha: this is gonna becoma a youtube legend if anyone provides the english translation :oh:

and just when he decided to tank the match. let's hope he calms down and tries his best tomorrow even though he is 2 breaks down. this could be very entertaining :oh:

I didn't watch it, but I remember watching him against Tursunov once.
"Koji je tebi kurac?!?! Koji je tebi kurac?! Zašto mi uvek ti sudiš???... Jebem ti ovaj tenis!!!!" :lol: :lol: :lol:
And Ana: "Ma, marš u pičku materinu. Ma, jebem mu mater. Jebem ti servis." :lol: :lol: :lol:

fANAtic
Jun 18th, 2011, 10:53 PM
I didn't watch it, but I remember watching him against Tursunov once.
"Koji je tebi kurac?!?! Koji je tebi kurac?! Zašto mi uvek ti sudiš???... Jebem ti ovaj tenis!!!!" :lol: :lol: :lol:
And Ana: "Ma, marš u pičku materinu. Ma, jebem mu mater. Jebem ti servis." :lol: :lol: :lol:

Don't translate Ana's swears. It would be too shocking for some people.:lol:

Cajka
Jun 18th, 2011, 11:17 PM
Don't translate Ana's swears. It would be too shocking for some people.:lol:
Even I was shocked the first time I read it from her lips. :lol:

doni1212
Jun 18th, 2011, 11:29 PM
Umm google translate, :eek:

fANAtic
Jun 18th, 2011, 11:48 PM
Yeah Doni, those swears are normal in Serbia, and worse. Ana's not that bad when you think about it.

Cajka
Jun 19th, 2011, 08:56 AM
Google translate is hilarious. "Get the pussy materinu."
fANAtic's right, swearing is a common thing here. They all do it... Novak and Janko the most. I don't know if I heard Viktor swearing. :confused:

azdaja
Jun 19th, 2011, 09:59 AM
Umm google translate, :eek:
doni, didn't you see this when i originally posted it? :oh:

Sc5E3kVIs3s

this is how serbians swear when they get really angry :fiery: :tape:

the best part of the translation is (glurp, glurp), though :haha:

supposedly only hungarian edges out serbian when it gets to rudeness in swearing. i mean, english is also quite rude when compared to german, but these guys take it to another level altogether. and they use swear words even when they are not really swearing.

doni1212
Jun 19th, 2011, 04:42 PM
Wow!! I didn't see that! Damn!

azdaja
Jun 19th, 2011, 06:23 PM
yeah, that's real swearing :rolls: but swearing is usually just phrases and even if it may sound rude in one language it's perfectly acceptable in another. i am not sure how rude was what ana was saying, but i think the english translation would be "fuck, fuck everything, fuck that serve".

people who see darko on the other hand see him as a talented rapper. he needs to work on the rhymes tho', using the word "motherfuckin'" all the time won't do, i'm afraid :oh:

Cajka
Jun 19th, 2011, 06:23 PM

We have dirty mouth, but we are not real savages... :oh:
OK, maybe sometimes. :rolleyes:

Cajka
Jun 19th, 2011, 06:28 PM
yeah, that's real swearing :rolls: but swearing is usually just phrases and even if it may sound rude in one language it's perfectly acceptable in another. i am not sure how rude was what ana was saying, but i think the english translation would be "fuck, fuck everything, fuck that serve".

people who see darko on the other hand see him as a talented rapper. he needs to work on the rhymes tho', using the word "motherfuckin'" all the time won't do, i'm afraid :oh:

The things that Miličić said are not really acceptable here. :lol: Otherwise, I mean - if it was totally normal, it wouldn't be on Youtube. :spit:

Men swear a lot here, usually while watching a soccer match or while they are driving. If you try to drive a car in Serbia, someone will probably call you an idiot and say something nasty about your mom. :tape: :tape: :tape:

azdaja
Jun 19th, 2011, 06:38 PM
The things that Miličić said are not really acceptable here. :lol: Otherwise, I mean - if it was totally normal, it wouldn't be on Youtube. :spit:

Men swear a lot here, usually while watching a soccer match or while they are driving. If you try to drive a car in Serbia, someone will probably call you an idiot and say something nasty about your mom. :tape: :tape: :tape:
i was not talking about him, i was talking about ana. i guess i should have made myself clear. what darko said would have been bad even without profanity :o

i am myself not used to serbian swearing and i find it very rude, but somehow entertaining :oh: not when people are really angry, though, then it's just ugly.

doni1212
Jun 21st, 2011, 03:38 PM
Ok, I'm an ultimate Serena STAN but even though I purchased her book on the first day it came out, I have yet to finish it. :o
Anyways, a reporter asked her a question today where he referred to her book about how she got consueling after her knee surgery. I never knew that! If a great champion like SERENA can get help from probably a sports psychologist, then ANA definitely SHOULD. :o :sad:

gaviotabr
Jun 21st, 2011, 03:58 PM
Ok, I'm an ultimate Serena STAN but even though I purchased her book on the first day it came out, I have yet to finish it. :o
Anyways, a reporter asked her a question today where he referred to her book about how she got consueling after her knee surgery. I never knew that! If a great champion like SERENA can get help from probably a sports psychologist, then ANA definitely SHOULD. :o :sad:

Yes.. there is really nothing wrong in getting help. I don't understand why Ana is so against it..

If it helps, why not? You gotta do everything in your hands to be better and give yourself the best shot.

fANAtic
Jun 21st, 2011, 05:46 PM
C'mon Hewitt, don't tuck this up.

gaviotabr
Jun 21st, 2011, 06:07 PM
C'mon Hewitt, don't tuck this up.

He is missing ball after ball now. :o

gaviotabr
Jun 21st, 2011, 06:09 PM
If this goes to a 4th, they should move Ana to Court 18 after Bartoli.

gaviotabr
Jun 21st, 2011, 06:26 PM
Nishikori saves a MP and wins the 4th set. :o

They should move Ana to court 18.

gaviotabr
Jun 21st, 2011, 06:39 PM
Ana's posible second round opponents are now playing.

DAVAJ MKirilenko
Jun 21st, 2011, 06:42 PM
Gulbis on court 18

gaviotabr
Jun 22nd, 2011, 12:34 PM
Venus is getting thumped by Kimiko. OMG! :eek:

gaviotabr
Jun 22nd, 2011, 12:35 PM
Kmiko is totally playing grass court tennis. Big return, sprint to the net, awesome volleys.

18majors
Jun 22nd, 2011, 12:40 PM
If Kimiko can do it, Ana can.

gaviotabr
Jun 22nd, 2011, 12:41 PM
If Kimiko can do it, Ana can.

I agree. Unfortunately Ana doesn't show she can. :o

gaviotabr
Jun 22nd, 2011, 12:47 PM
Venus is so vulnerable when the opponent returns her serve though. Kimiko is doing a good job with returns so far. She has such a compact stroke that it helps on that.

gaviotabr
Jun 22nd, 2011, 12:57 PM
Kimiko couldn't keep up now though. Few errors and it's back on serve. Venus saved 3 SPs.

fANAtic
Jun 22nd, 2011, 01:07 PM
Kimiko couldn't keep up now though. Few errors and it's back on serve. Venus saved 3 SPs.
inexperience

Cajka
Jun 22nd, 2011, 01:17 PM
inexperience

:haha:

gaviotabr
Jun 22nd, 2011, 02:46 PM
Wow. I had a whole class and this match is still going on. :lol:

gaviotabr
Jun 22nd, 2011, 02:49 PM
Kimiko is still playing amazing.

After 5-5 in the first, I didn't expect Venus to lose the 1st set, but just saw that she did. :tape:

gaviotabr
Jun 22nd, 2011, 02:51 PM
Venus, haven't you seen that Kimiko loves pace? :lol: High pace rallies are going to favor her as she has such a compact back swing.

gaviotabr
Jun 22nd, 2011, 02:54 PM
Ana should watch this and learn how to return Venus' serve. And how when a player does manage to do that, will have success against Venus.

gaviotabr
Jun 22nd, 2011, 03:15 PM
Venus wins 8-6 in the 3rd. The bit I watched from the match, it was pretty awesome. Kmiko is os enjoyable to watch when she is playing well.

Cp6uja
Jun 22nd, 2011, 03:28 PM
We afraid from Radwanska for nothing!
Yes, she won 1st round match, but she lose two points on her own serve there (out of 22) and even lose one of Govortsova 2nd serve points (out of 14). And in both sets Aga make one unforced error...

fANAtic
Jun 22nd, 2011, 03:37 PM
Yes, she won 1st round match, but she lose two points on her own serve there (out of 22) and even lose one of Govortsova 2nd serve points (out of 14). And in both sets Aga make one unforced error...

:unsure: Are you being sarcastic here?
Anyway, I didn't expect her to beat Aga.

Cp6uja
Jun 22nd, 2011, 04:08 PM
Yes, she won 1st round match, but she lose two points on her own serve there (out of 22) and even lose one of Govortsova 2nd serve points (out of 14). And in both sets Aga make one unforced error...:unsure: Are you being sarcastic here?
Anyway, I didn't expect her to beat Aga.Nope... she really lose all this points which I mentioned :shrug:

:p

gaviotabr
Jun 22nd, 2011, 05:44 PM
They have cancelled a whole bunch of matches already. I wonder why so soon.. some of those matches could've still been played.

fANAtic
Jun 23rd, 2011, 04:58 PM
Is anyone watching Lisicki - Li?
Fourth round :unsure:

gaviotabr
Jun 23rd, 2011, 04:59 PM
Is anyone watching Lisicki - Li?
Fourth round :unsure:

I am. :scared: Big big hitting.

fANAtic
Jun 23rd, 2011, 05:08 PM
Maybe Ana should try this gluten free lifestyle.

fANAtic
Jun 24th, 2011, 11:23 AM
Obviously I would like Ana to get to QF, but with the way Lisicki played yesterday it's going to be extremely difficult if not impossible.
Does anyone else think that was a tournament winning performance?

18majors
Jun 24th, 2011, 11:29 AM
Ana has the game. She will give Sabine, Serena and Maria a run for the money.

gaviotabr
Jun 24th, 2011, 11:38 AM
Obviously I would like Ana to get to QF, but with the way Lisicki played yesterday it's going to be extremely difficult if not impossible.
Does anyone else think that was a tournament winning performance?

I think that was a tournament winning performance. It was a pretty amazing match, and both Na Li and Lisicki were hitting big and precise with consistency. Lisicki's serve, which has to be one of the best in the game, made the difference in the end.

I just don't know if Lisicki is capable of playing like that for 7 straight matches. I agree that if Ana reaches round 4, it will be extremely tough. Especially because Ana's shots still don't have as much power as needed. But I don't see Sabine winning the title.. I think she will come out in some match and her serve won't be firing as much. When it's not on, she is vulnerable.

fANAtic
Jun 24th, 2011, 11:47 AM
I think that was a tournament winning performance. It was a pretty amazing match, and both Na Li and Lisicki were hitting big and precise with consistency. Lisicki's serve, which has to be one of the best in the game, made the difference in the end.

I just don't know if Lisicki is capable of playing like that for 7 straight matches. I agree that if Ana reaches round 4, it will be extremely tough. Especially because Ana's shots still don't have as much power as needed. But I don't see Sabine winning the title.. I think she will come out in some match and her serve won't be firing as much. When it's not on, she is vulnerable.
They were ballbashing the hell out the ball, but not missing much. I hate that kind of game, it's such a fluke. My only hope is that, if it comes to that match, it won't be played under a closed roof. It helps Lisicki a lot.

gaviotabr
Jun 24th, 2011, 11:52 AM
They were ballbashing the hell out the ball, but not missing much. I hate that kind of game, it's such a fluke. My only hope is that, if it comes to that match, it won't be played under a closed roof. It helps Lisicki a lot.

I think we should focus on Cetkovska.. because who knows! I think it's a must win match for Ana, but it is one match at a time.

But if Ana indeed reaches round 4, I don't think her match against Lisicki would be played on CC. At best Court 2.

doni1212
Jun 24th, 2011, 11:56 AM
Bartoli lost the first set!

gaviotabr
Jun 24th, 2011, 11:57 AM
Bartoli lost the first set!

If Bartoli loses, it would certainly make life easier for Serena.

Sean.
Jun 24th, 2011, 12:02 PM
Marion. :facepalm:

doni1212
Jun 24th, 2011, 12:04 PM
If Bartoli loses, it would certainly make life easier for Serena.

Yup! I keep forgeting that Serena would have to go through her first and Ana would have to go through Lisicki first.

The 2nd Law
Jun 24th, 2011, 12:23 PM
I think we should focus on Cetkovska.. because who knows! I think it's a must win match for Ana, but it is one match at a time.

But if Ana indeed reaches round 4, I don't think her match against Lisicki would be played on CC. At best Court 2.

Really? I'd be shocked if that match was not on CC

Sean.
Jun 24th, 2011, 12:25 PM
I doubt it would be on centre, definitely court 2 though!

gaviotabr
Jun 24th, 2011, 12:33 PM
Really? I'd be shocked if that match was not on CC

Wimbledon is not fond of Ana. Sabine is not a seed. All 4th rounders are played on monday. Serena, Sharapova, Wozniacki, Venus would most probably all be playing. No way it would ever be on CC.

The 2nd Law
Jun 24th, 2011, 12:39 PM
Lisicki is generating quite a lot of hype though.

You guys are right though, I always forget that Wimbledon doesn't really like Ana too much :lol:

gaviotabr
Jun 24th, 2011, 12:39 PM
Bartoli saved 3 MPs and got the match into a 3rd set. Should cruise now.

Sharapova sucking on Court 1. A break down to Laura Robson.

18majors
Jun 24th, 2011, 05:08 PM
Ana and Sabine look like the class of the league compared to Serena and Maria.

fANAtic
Jun 24th, 2011, 07:35 PM
Sven is such a gloryhunter. Now he's clapping in Murray's box, I bet he dumped Wozniacki for a better slam prospect.

gaviotabr
Jun 24th, 2011, 09:07 PM
Sven is such a gloryhunter. Now he's clapping in Murray's box, I bet he dumped Wozniacki for a better slam prospect.

Murray = Woz.

I just wish Ana could get far and away from APDP.

jelenacg
Jun 24th, 2011, 09:22 PM
Sven was in Laura`s box today as well.:lol:
Out of these 3 ,i could say Laura has the best chance of winning GS :p jk

gaviotabr
Jun 25th, 2011, 11:55 AM
Anyone watching Cibulkova x Goerges? Cibulkova is such a ballbasher.. I'm amazed at her ability to ballbash being so short.

gaviotabr
Jun 25th, 2011, 11:58 AM

The commentators saying Julia gets compared to Ana all the time. And then the woman tells the man it's good though.. and asks him.. "Wouldn't you be happy to be compared to Brad Pitt?"