PDA

View Full Version : NCAA Draws Posted - The road to Athens

2nd_serve
May 4th, 2010, 10:22 PM
click here (http://www.itatennis.com/Assets/ita_assets/pdf/NCAA+Championships/2010+NCAA+Championships/2010_W_Team_Bracket.pdf) to open pdf

Championship Central click here (http://www.itatennis.com/Events/DivisionINCAAChampionships.htm)

Updating Bracket (http://www.ncaa.com/brackets/2010/ncaa_bracket_DI_tennis_women.html)

johnnytennis
May 4th, 2010, 10:29 PM
click here (http://www.itatennis.com/Assets/ita_assets/pdf/NCAA+Championships/2010+NCAA+Championships/2010_W_Team_Bracket.pdf) to open pdf

Championship Central click here (http://www.itatennis.com/Events/DivisionINCAAChampionships.htm)

I see where Duke is this years Fresno State who got passed over to host.

Amalgamate
May 4th, 2010, 10:33 PM
Thanks for posting that. I watched it on ESPNEWS but couldn't find the draw online.

I hate how the NCAA does their seeds :o 1. vs. 16, 2 vs. 15 etc. That sucks!

*Stanford vs. Baylor :o (I knew it was already happening thought)
*USC vs. Cal in the Second Round :eek: Though Cal did win both matches this year 5-2.
*Duke NOT hosting :spit: :wavey: mboyle :hug:
*Florida should steam roll their way to the R16 but Gerogia Tech played well in the ACC tournament :shrug:

Amalgamate
May 4th, 2010, 10:33 PM
I see where Duke is this years Fresno State who got passed over to host.

Except that Duke is the defending champion...

johnnytennis
May 4th, 2010, 10:41 PM
Which of the top teams got the best draw!
Which of the top teams got the worst draw!

2nd_serve
May 4th, 2010, 10:45 PM
Which of the top teams got the best draw!
Which of the top teams got the worst draw!

Unlike normal tournaments, for the round of 16 the teams are planted. 1 vs 16, etc. As was pointed out the Cal v. USC in regionals has high interest for a regional. Have the Pac-10 kill each other off early.

Tennisace
May 4th, 2010, 10:49 PM
Unlike normal tournaments, for the round of 16 the teams are planted. 1 vs 16, etc. As was pointed out the Cal v. USC in regionals has high interest for a regional.

It has me a bit worried. Interestingly, both times they met Cal did not have the regular line-up (Juricova, Cossou, Andersson, Siwosz, Goransson, Davis) although they won 5-2 each time.

iliketennis
May 4th, 2010, 11:11 PM
I thought Northwestern was ranked 5. How come they are in the #6 spot??? :confused:

Amalgamate
May 4th, 2010, 11:12 PM
It has me a bit worried. Interestingly, both times they met Cal did not have the regular line-up (Juricova, Cossou, Andersson, Siwosz, Goransson, Davis) although they won 5-2 each time.

Yea it doesn't bode well for USC when Cal beats them 5-2 without Cal's #2.

UFGatorFan
May 4th, 2010, 11:13 PM
Too many rematches or potential rematches, the regionalization of the tournament tends to do that. Makes for a less than exciting tournament when you play the same teams you did in the regular season, especially conference wise. Oh well, no tournament is perfect, and it's not a big revenue generator.

Amalgamate
May 4th, 2010, 11:15 PM
I thought Northwestern was ranked 5. How come they are in the #6 spot??? :confused:

:eek: Good catch! The rankings have #5 Northwestern and #6 Notre Dame but the draw has it flipped :confused: There has to be some reason?

UFGatorFan
May 4th, 2010, 11:15 PM

Probably took into account ND's win over Nwestern in the regular season? Of course, how is UNC the 2 seed when they got smacked up by Florida? Not that it really matters the difference between the 2 and 3 seed, but if they did that for ND and NW, why not for those 2?

2nd_serve
May 4th, 2010, 11:17 PM

I would pick Cal to win, but USC seemed to be playing well by the end of the season. and Cal may have slipped off a little mostly from Cossou missing some matches or only playing doubles. But even if all of Cal's players are (hopefully) healthy, it could be a tight match.

its_a_racquet
May 4th, 2010, 11:57 PM
Probably took into account ND's win over Nwestern in the regular season? Of course, how is UNC the 2 seed when they got smacked up by Florida? Not that it really matters the difference between the 2 and 3 seed, but if they did that for ND and NW, why not for those 2?

If team's play to their seeding (which is rare).........NU 'gets' to play Florida vs. ND playing Michigan. If you were picking FL or MI, who would you rather play..........right.........

So, I'd love to know how the committee makes seeding decisions.

Although in the end, whoever wins the tourney this year has to get through Florida (my opinion), so whether you play them in Q, S or Final really doesn't matter.......

fantic
May 5th, 2010, 01:21 AM

1st thank you 2nd serve :bowdown:

Huh? at USC Cal played their full lineup I think?

Juricova Sanchez
Cossou Ramos
Andersson Lao
Siwosz Pulido
Davis Andrews
Radeva Kinstler

Ah you mean Goransson didn't play? :lol:

fantic
May 5th, 2010, 01:29 AM
I would pick Cal to win, but USC seemed to be playing well by the end of the season. and Cal may have slipped off a little mostly from Cossou missing some matches or only playing doubles. But even if all of Cal's players are (hopefully) healthy, it could be a tight match.

1. What do you mean USC played well at the end? They were routed by UCLA :sobbing:

(Well to be fair UCLA was routing CAL at Hellman :devil: )

And USC had the worst performance at Ojai too :sobbing:

2. Cossou defeated Dy at dual (although I think she lost to Smatova and Vasilieva :lol: )

and she also did play Ojai, narrowly beating McVeigh and Fournier to reach the semi again,

only to get routed by Barte :lol:

3. HOPEFULLY!!! Didn't know you were a Cal fan :eek:

Amalgamate
May 5th, 2010, 01:33 AM
1st thank you 2nd serve :bowdown:

Huh? at USC Cal played their full lineup I think?

Juricova Sanchez
Cossou Ramos
Andersson Lao
Siwosz Pulido
Davis Andrews
Radeva Kinstler

Ah you mean Goransson didn't play? :lol:

Yea, Cal played their full line up back in February, but in the Pac-10 match at Berkeley, Cal played without Cossou and still won 5-2.

1. No. 3 Jana Juricova (CAL) def. No. 2 Maria Sanchez (USC) 6-3, 5-7, 6-3
2. No. 44 Mari Andersson (CAL) def. No. 26 Alison Ramos (USC) 4-6, 6-3, 6-4
3. No. 30 Danielle Lao (USC) def. Kasia Siwosz (CAL) 6-1, 6-1
4. No. 103 Valeria Pulido (USC) def. Annie Goransson (CAL) 6-3, 7-5
5. Tayler Davis (CAL) def. Sarah Fansler (USC) 6-4, 6-2
6. Nelly Radeva (CAL) def. Lyndsay Kinstler (USC) 6-3, 6-1

gouci
May 5th, 2010, 02:16 AM
St. Mary's was the WCC regular season and WCC tournament champions over Pepperdine. St. Mary's defeated Pepperdine twice this season. So why does #38 St. Mary's get #23 Arizona St. at UCLA regional, while #43 Pepperdine gets #31 SMU at Stanford regional? :confused:

St. Mary's and Pepperdine should have switched places. It would have been more fair and made more sense since St. Mary's is closer to Stanford and Pepperdine if closer to UCLA. I just don't understand how the committee came up with the St. Mary's and Pepperdine pairings. :bs::bs::bs:

fantic
May 5th, 2010, 02:26 AM
Yea, Cal played their full line up back in February, but in the Pac-10 match at Berkeley, Cal played without Cossou and still won 5-2.

1. No. 3 Jana Juricova (CAL) def. No. 2 Maria Sanchez (USC) 6-3, 5-7, 6-3
2. No. 44 Mari Andersson (CAL) def. No. 26 Alison Ramos (USC) 4-6, 6-3, 6-4
3. No. 30 Danielle Lao (USC) def. Kasia Siwosz (CAL) 6-1, 6-1
4. No. 103 Valeria Pulido (USC) def. Annie Goransson (CAL) 6-3, 7-5
5. Tayler Davis (CAL) def. Sarah Fansler (USC) 6-4, 6-2
6. Nelly Radeva (CAL) def. Lyndsay Kinstler (USC) 6-3, 6-1

Of course I know that, but I thought Tennisace was saying for BOTH matches.

fantic
May 5th, 2010, 02:46 AM
St. Mary's was the WCC regular season and WCC tournament champions over Pepperdine. St. Mary's defeated Pepperdine twice this season. So why does #38 St. Mary's get #23 Arizona St. at UCLA regional, while #43 Pepperdine gets #31 SMU at Stanford regional? :confused:

St. Mary's and Pepperdine should have switched places. It would have been more fair and made more sense since St. Mary's is closer to Stanford and Pepperdine if closer to UCLA. I just don't understand how the committee came up with the St. Mary's and Pepperdine pairings. :bs::bs::bs:

They were kind enough that I could watch Soper's leg-through ball bouncing again

:haha:

Maybe Schnack will follow Soper's EXEMPLARY action and do that

again at her home court :happy:

tennisbuddy12
May 5th, 2010, 02:52 AM
ASU and SMC were at 1-1 and the other 4 singles matches were in a 3rd set when play was cancelled...

barboza
May 5th, 2010, 08:54 AM
Duke women's team is not hosting because the Duke men's team is already the host. The tournaments overlap during the weekend. I think Virginia will pull off an upset against Duke in the second round ;)

barboza
May 5th, 2010, 08:55 AM
Sucks to have a Cal-SC matchup in 2nd round.. and UCLA has an easy draw.

johnnytennis
May 5th, 2010, 03:37 PM
Duke women's team is not hosting because the Duke men's team is already the host. The tournaments overlap during the weekend. I think Virginia will pull off an upset against Duke in the second round ;)

I got news for you, dont overlook Princeton in the first round. Teams like this that are loaded with good players like to turn it on at tournament time!

barboza
May 5th, 2010, 08:38 PM
Lol.. don't worry, with UVA's recent performance they're going to edge Princeton at the least. They almost beat UNC, Duke and Clemson anyway in the regular ACC season.

mboyle
May 5th, 2010, 09:19 PM
Lol.. don't worry, with UVA's recent performance they're going to edge Princeton at the least. They almost beat UNC, Duke and Clemson anyway in the regular ACC season.

They lost to Duke 5-2 and only won one singles match...we will see.

10sE
May 5th, 2010, 09:43 PM
I got news for you, dont overlook Princeton in the first round. Teams like this that are loaded with GREAT players who gave up on tennis the day they signed their scholarship papers!

FIFY

johnnytennis
May 5th, 2010, 10:16 PM
FIFY

I cant disagree with you but they seem to want to turn it on at the end when it counts the most!

10sE
May 5th, 2010, 10:51 PM
The Ivies are constantly in the top 16 in the recruiting classes. What is the last time an Ivy league school finished ranked in the top 16 or made the Sweet 16?

I think that their effort on the tennis court should count as a kinesiology and that they should get credit hours and grade points, just like they do for marketing or biology. Maybe THEN you would see some of those girls turn it on!

Amalgamate
May 5th, 2010, 10:58 PM
The Ivies are constantly in the top 16 in the recruiting classes. What is the last time an Ivy league school finished ranked in the top 16 or made the Sweet 16?

I think that their effort on the tennis court should count as a kinesiology and that they should get credit hours and grade points, just like they do for marketing or biology. Maybe THEN you would see some of those girls turn it on!

Ha. There is a big difference between attending and playing tennis at an Ivy than it is at a UF where someone basically writes your essays for you.

barboza
May 5th, 2010, 11:32 PM
They lost to Duke 5-2 and only won one singles match...we will see.

http://www.virginiasports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=92064&SPID=10611&DB_OEM_ID=17800&ATCLID=204921952

Nope, they won two singles matches and the other three singles went to third sets, with scores of 6-4, 6-4 and 7-6. So very tight matches.. anyway, we'll see if they can pull off the upset. It looks like Duke is weaker this year, while the ACC is gaining momentum. Kind of sad to see Stanford not as dominant as before, but they are the winningest team this season in the nation, having only lost to one school.

Amalgamate
May 5th, 2010, 11:40 PM
http://www.virginiasports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=92064&SPID=10611&DB_OEM_ID=17800&ATCLID=204921952

Nope, they won two singles matches and the other three singles went to third sets, with scores of 6-4, 6-4 and 7-6. So very tight matches.. anyway, we'll see if they can pull off the upset. It looks like Duke is weaker this year, while the ACC is gaining momentum. Kind of sad to see Stanford not as dominant as before, but they are the winningest team this season in the nation, having only lost to one school.

They have gone through a few rebuilding years. But with Ahn and Gibbs next year, they should be back at the top :yeah:

barboza
May 5th, 2010, 11:42 PM
How's Cecil doing by the way... too bad she left Duke. I mean, the level between college and pro tennis is just that big -- the reason why so many college players don't transition well into the pros.

barboza
May 5th, 2010, 11:43 PM
They have gone through a few rebuilding years. But with Ahn and Gibbs next year, they should be back at the top :yeah:

Yeah.. I still remember when Amber Liu, Anne Yelsey and Alice Barnes were playing. Those were just really hard to beat :)

mboyle
May 6th, 2010, 12:33 AM
How's Cecil doing by the way... too bad she left Duke. I mean, the level between college and pro tennis is just that big -- the reason why so many college players don't transition well into the pros.

It is too bad. We'd be dominating this year with her at one. Liz Plotkin at the four spot? You kidding me?

desariofan
May 6th, 2010, 05:23 PM
Ha. There is a big difference between attending and playing tennis at an Ivy than it is at a UF where someone basically writes your essays for you.

i resent that. I say that would prolly happen for football or basketball, but for tennis those girls are not only talented in their sports but also in the classrooms. ANY of these Ivy league schools would kill to get any of those high recruits, but the difference between the Ivy recruits and the Uf recruits are that the girls in UF play amazing tennis and study hard. You can't say the same for the ivies.

tucker1989
May 6th, 2010, 05:38 PM
i resent that. I say that would prolly happen for football or basketball, but for tennis those girls are not only talented in their sports but also in the classrooms. ANY of these Ivy league schools would kill to get any of those high recruits, but the difference between the Ivy recruits and the Uf recruits are that the girls in UF play amazing tennis and study hard. You can't say the same for the ivies.

I'm sorry, but that is ridiculous. First of all, Ivies get amazing recruits all of the time. Princeton last year got three of the top fifteen recruits in the country. Second, it's impossible to compare academics at a big state school with academics at an Ivy. Of course, some of these girls are probably putting a lot of effort into their academics, and I'm sure many of them are very intelligent, but the difference is that all athletes have to study hard to stay on top of their work. At larger schools there is a huge range, so you can take very challenging classes and work your ass of, or you can skirt by barely doing any work at all. There is a range at Ivies too, but it is much, much smaller. The reason that these girls who are blue chip recruits usually don't excel like they would at a Florida or a Cal or a Baylor is that they have limitations on practice time, and they have to devote a huge portion of their time to their studies, thus a lot of them drop off from their junior levels, because many were used to being home schooled or taking online classes and playing for six hours a day, which is just impossible at an Ivy.

fantic
May 6th, 2010, 06:32 PM
Some of the USC players were dying from writing reports and all that,

sometimes pulling all-niters :lol:

desariofan
May 6th, 2010, 08:11 PM
I'm sorry, but that is ridiculous. First of all, Ivies get amazing recruits all of the time. Princeton last year got three of the top fifteen recruits in the country. Second, it's impossible to compare academics at a big state school with academics at an Ivy. Of course, some of these girls are probably putting a lot of effort into their academics, and I'm sure many of them are very intelligent, but the difference is that all athletes have to study hard to stay on top of their work. At larger schools there is a huge range, so you can take very challenging classes and work your ass of, or you can skirt by barely doing any work at all. There is a range at Ivies too, but it is much, much smaller. The reason that these girls who are blue chip recruits usually don't excel like they would at a Florida or a Cal or a Baylor is that they have limitations on practice time, and they have to devote a huge portion of their time to their studies, thus a lot of them drop off from their junior levels, because many were used to being home schooled or taking online classes and playing for six hours a day, which is just impossible at an Ivy.

thus you prove my point - schools like UF/Baylor/Duke get blue chips girls who play amazing tennis with terrific results are also excellent students, whereas ivy league get blue chip girls who are excellent students but they do not have terrific results (because of long study times, etc).

my point really was that it wasn't fair to say the girls from UF or such hit good tennis and don't study hard. Don't forget UF belongs in the same tier in the rankings (top 50) as all the ivy league schools are.

mboyle
May 6th, 2010, 08:26 PM
thus you prove my point - schools like UF/Baylor/Duke get blue chips girls who play amazing tennis with terrific results are also excellent students, whereas ivy league get blue chip girls who are excellent students but they do not have terrific results (because of long study times, etc).

my point really was that it wasn't fair to say the girls from UF or such hit good tennis and don't study hard. Don't forget UF belongs in the same tier in the rankings (top 50) as all the ivy league schools are.

People at Duke can take classes at UNC. Not many people do because most Duke departments won't count UNC classes because they are considered not challenging enough. Some of my friends who are B students at best at Duke took Organic Chemistry at Carolina over the summer. They both got A's without working very hard.

UNC is a tougher school than UF, and Duke has some "athlete" classes that Princeton just doesn't have. Thus, I would expect the gap between UF and Princeton to be even greater than the gap between Duke and UNC. Comparing Princeton and UF for student athletes is just silly. UF is a great school. Princeton is one of the best universities in the world.

Amalgamate
May 6th, 2010, 08:52 PM

Sorry, but no. Sure if you are a student-athlete at UF you can work hard in the classroom. But typically, due to the IMMENSE amount of help the student-athlete's have, they can get by with decent grades without cracking open a book. The advisors, the special tutors, the special classes and privleges that are provided for athletes at UF are disgusting. The reason those Ivies don't have the top ranked teams despite getting some of the best recruits is because they adhere to NCAA rules and school comes first for these teams. This is absolutely NOT the case at a UF. And to group Duke and UF together is absolutely absurd. I guarantee mboyle can attest that the girls on the Duke team work very hard outside of the tennis court, the same with Stanford girls. The academic standards for these girls are significantly more rigorous than at UF. And believe me, not to bring in names, but there is a reason Embree and Will went to UF and not an Ivy, Stanford, or Duke.

mboyle
May 6th, 2010, 09:10 PM
Sorry, but no. Sure if you are a student-athlete at UF you can work hard in the classroom. But typically, due to the IMMENSE amount of help the student-athlete's have, they can get by with decent grades without cracking open a book. The advisors, the special tutors, the special classes and privleges that are provided for athletes at UF are disgusting. The reason those Ivies don't have the top ranked teams despite getting some of the best recruits is because they adhere to NCAA rules and school comes first for these teams. This is absolutely NOT the case at a UF. And to group Duke and UF together is absolutely absurd. I guarantee mboyle can attest that the girls on the Duke team work very hard outside of the tennis court, the same with Stanford girls. The academic standards for these girls are significantly more rigorous than at UF. And believe me, not to bring in names, but there is a reason Embree and Will went to UF and not an Ivy, Stanford, or Duke.

Reka is actually pre-med at Duke and she's on track to graduate Magna Cum Laude (3.85+GPA). She's not taking bunny classes. She's taking Molecular Biology, Organic Chemistry and Physics with all the other students. Kelly McCain (Duke 2002?) won the Rhodes Scholarship.

tennisbuddy12
May 6th, 2010, 09:34 PM

:clap2:

Reka is actually pre-med at Duke and she's on track to graduate Magna Cum Laude (3.85+GPA). She's not taking bunny classes. She's taking Molecular Biology, Organic Chemistry and Physics with all the other students. Kelly McCain (Duke 2002?) won the Rhodes Scholarship.

:worship::worship:

Amalgamate
May 6th, 2010, 09:50 PM

Good for her :yeah: Case rested.

desariofan
May 6th, 2010, 11:59 PM
People at Duke can take classes at UNC. Not many people do because most Duke departments won't count UNC classes because they are considered not challenging enough. Some of my friends who are B students at best at Duke took Organic Chemistry at Carolina over the summer. They both got A's without working very hard.

UNC is a tougher school than UF, and Duke has some "athlete" classes that Princeton just doesn't have. Thus, I would expect the gap between UF and Princeton to be even greater than the gap between Duke and UNC. Comparing Princeton and UF for student athletes is just silly. UF is a great school. Princeton is one of the best universities in the world.

How did Princeton even come into the conversation? Regardless, you've really missed my point. But good to know what you had to say. :wavey:

Amalgamate
May 7th, 2010, 12:00 AM
Would anyone be interested in participating in a bracket contest? (Does anyone know how to organize one? :scratch:) I think it would be fun to have all of us duke it out! No pun intended...

desariofan
May 7th, 2010, 12:00 AM

Not to say any names? Please enlighten me. :angel:

I guess we'll just to agree to disagree.

Amalgamate
May 7th, 2010, 12:21 AM
Not to say any names? Please enlighten me. :angel:

I guess we'll just to agree to disagree.

And exactly what is it that we disagree on? You think the student-athletes at UF complete the same amount of work on their own as a Stanford/Duke/Ivy? That all of these teams train and practice equally?

tennisbuddy12
May 7th, 2010, 12:35 AM
Would anyone be interested in participating in a bracket contest? (Does anyone know how to organize one? :scratch:) I think it would be fun to have all of us duke it out! No pun intended...

ME!:wavey: :wavey: :wavey: :wavey: :wavey: :wavey: :wavey:

tucker1989
May 7th, 2010, 12:37 AM
I'd totally do it too!

fantic
May 7th, 2010, 12:39 AM
But I dunno how to do it. :( It's free, right? :lol:

Amalgamate
May 7th, 2010, 12:40 AM
Yea it would be free.
Good to hear there are some takers! I know people do it all the time for march madness, hopefully someone is familiar with that process and can help us organize it? Or the people who run all of the tournament oriented games here :lol: This was just an idea, I don't really have the skills to put it together :help:

fantic
May 7th, 2010, 12:41 AM
Yeah I dunno how guys here do that, accumulating points and everything :o

Amalgamate
May 7th, 2010, 12:49 AM
Yeah I dunno how guys here do that, accumulating points and everything :o

I'm looking online right now seeing if I can create something.

But if anyone knows any posters who are active in that point and prediction scene maybe you could ask them about this? thanks.

tennisbuddy12
May 7th, 2010, 01:05 AM
Well we can do it like Fill In The Draw on here. 1 point for 1st round winners, 2 for 2nd, 6 for 3rd, 12 for QF, 24 for SF, 32 for winners

tennisbuddy12
May 7th, 2010, 01:06 AM
I won't mind running it. Team, Singles and doubles...

Amalgamate
May 7th, 2010, 01:39 AM
I won't mind running it. Team, Singles and doubles...

I'm thinking the best thing to do is to create a new thread. There we could have everyone post all their predictions (in an orderly fashion). And then the first post could tally scores after each round is completed. And then after team we can do singles/doubles!

tennisbuddy12
May 7th, 2010, 03:07 AM
I'm thinking the best thing to do is to create a new thread. There we could have everyone post all their predictions (in an orderly fashion). And then the first post could tally scores after each round is completed. And then after team we can do singles/doubles!

That's exactly how they do it in FITD!!! I'll do it soon...

desariofan
May 7th, 2010, 04:25 AM
And exactly what is it that we disagree on? You think the student-athletes at UF complete the same amount of work on their own as a Stanford/Duke/Ivy? That all of these teams train and practice equally?

lol chill out bro
i'll just leave it at that.
i am not really interested in competing in an online special Olympics :wavey:

tennisbuddy12
May 7th, 2010, 04:47 AM
lol chill out bro

:tape:

Amalgamate
May 7th, 2010, 04:50 AM
lol chill out bro

Total non sequitur :yawn:

desariofan
May 7th, 2010, 08:19 AM
Total non sequitur :yawn:

how glad am i that you finally see that, too!:bounce:

Amalgamate
May 8th, 2010, 05:56 AM
A link to to official team lineups:

http://web1.ncaa.org/tennis/exec/lineup?doWhat=listing&sportCode=WTE&division=1&fromLink=Y

Embittered
May 8th, 2010, 09:22 AM

http://web1.ncaa.org/tennis/exec/lineup?doWhat=listing&sportCode=WTE&division=1&fromLink=Y
Thanks.

No Wowchuk for NU, though she still appears on the roster on their website.:( No Scharle for Florida State, although she appears in the pictures from the ACC champs and the FSU selection party. Is Wowchuk injured?

Illinois only nominate 6 despite having a roster as long as your arm.

And for fantic, no Nicole Smith for ASU, and Brycki has been relegated to no. 5 despite declaring a perfect record.

fantic
May 8th, 2010, 05:39 PM
So that means Brycki will win every match? :lol:

James defeated Ramos and Brycki lost to Vasilieva at Ojai, so no big deal :)

gouci
May 13th, 2010, 12:16 AM
I see where Duke is this years Fresno State who got passed over to host.The same can be said about #16 Texas who will have to take a road trip to Norman, Oklahoma.

#42 Oklahoma must be one of the lowest ranked teams to ever host a regional. :o

Kevin.
May 13th, 2010, 01:25 AM
I believe Wowchuk is injured.

fantic
May 13th, 2010, 09:05 PM

Is this order fixed? No room for moving? (like singles)

Hein Poorta
McKenna Isip
Abdala Chik
James Soper
Brycki Spitzer
Simmons Strijbis

Hein/McKenna Poorta/Soper
Abdala/Brycki Chik/Isip
Brown/Simmons Fisher/Strijbis

Schnack
Hickey
Remynse
Montez
Johansson moved again! :lol:
Hoffpauir

By the way the reason I picked ASU over UCLA is that I like upsets. :lol:
And last year was SO close for ASU.
Moreover UCLA have a championship already and reached 2 finals in a row, so.
They even swept Pac-10, more so than USC last year, so~ :)

Bhargava moved! :eek:
Colffer
Walter
Oates
Zalameda
Rice

Chan
Dy
Ardies also moved
Xu

Whoriskey/Pluskota comeback :devil:

Durisic/Ffriend(3rd) 1st time! :eek: Ffriend teamed with Featherston or Hemm..

Falconi
Ngo
Krupina
Blau
Kilborn
McDowell is she playing??

tennisbuddy12
May 13th, 2010, 09:17 PM
McDowell is playing doubles :)

So exciting and inspiring to see.

fantic
May 13th, 2010, 09:37 PM
Huh? she's not on the list Amalgamate provided? :confused: Oh well, good for her ;)

tennisbuddy12
May 13th, 2010, 10:43 PM
Huh? she's not on the list Amalgamate provided? :confused: Oh well, good for her ;)

She hoped to be ready for 6 singles but it wasn't meant to be. They should be fine with putting Davis, their 6 singles majority of the season, at 6.

Amalgamate
May 14th, 2010, 12:23 AM

I think Joey means McDowell will be playing doubles in the dual matches. The list I provided was of the teams playing in the doubles tournament. The only Georgia Tech team playing in doubles is Falconi/Krupina.

fantic
May 14th, 2010, 04:39 AM
Hmm..there are 3 double teams per College on the list, I thought that was for the TEAM tourney..anyway thx guys ;)

Embittered
May 14th, 2010, 07:28 AM
Hmm..there are 3 double teams per College on the list, I thought that was for the TEAM tourney..anyway thx guys ;)
I think the rubric must be misleading. Obviously 3 isn't enough for the team doubles if there are injuries or loss of form, so surely the coach can't be limited to playing the nominated pairings. And, as Amalgamate says, the rubric does talk about the nominated pairings being eligible for selection to the doubles champs, so maybe that's all the doubles nominations are about:confused:

Amalgamate
May 14th, 2010, 07:44 AM

Okay, I have no idea what you are confused about. If Joey is right, and Georgia Tech has decided to play McDowell in their doubles lineup then according to the handbook:

"For doubles competition, any replacement is a straight-line replacement. The three doubles teams must remain in order of strength consistent with ITA rules as determined by their respective competition records. The games committee has the right to review and, if necessary, overrule a coach’s decision regarding a lineup change, based on the ability of the players and matches during the season."

So if indeed McDowell plays doubles, Georgia Tech will submit a revised lineup to the referee and McDowell will simply replace one of the 6 girls playing doubles. GT is able to put McDowell in doubles because she was on their full singles lineup of players.

tennisbuddy12
May 14th, 2010, 04:23 PM
Yes, only the dual matches AM is playing. We'll see if 1. she does play and 2. will her back hold up.

tucker1989
May 14th, 2010, 04:33 PM
Georgia beats Harvard 4-0, Duke close to closing out Long Island

gouci
May 14th, 2010, 07:00 PM
Hey 2nd serve maybe you could post the link to this self updating bracket (http://www.ncaa.com/brackets/2010/ncaa_bracket_DI_tennis_women.html) on Post #1.

Amalgamate
May 14th, 2010, 10:14 PM
Mississippi def. UCI 4-0. Sorry gouci :hug:

Amalgamate
May 14th, 2010, 10:19 PM
UF 4, SC St. 0

Doubles

1. (5) Marrit Boonstra/Allie Will, UF d. Daria Sekerina/ Maria Craciun, SC St. 8-1*
2. (29) Lauren Embree/Joanna Mather, UF d. Beate Valdmane/ Laura Bosneag, SC St. 8-1
3. Caroline Hitimana/ Anastasia Revzina, UF led Sarai Torres/ I-Chun Chen, SC St. 7-2 DNF

Singles

1. (9) Lauren Embree( UF) led Daria Sekerina (SC St.) 6-0, 3-1 DNF
2. (8) Allie Will (UF) d. Fanni Fricska (SC St.) 6-0, 6-0
3. (102) Anastasia Revzina (UF) led Maria Craciun (SC St.) 6-1, 3-1 DNF
4. Joanna Mather (UF)d. Sarai Torres (SC St.) 6-0, 6-0
5. (107) Caroline Hitimana (UF) led Laura Bosneag (SC St.) 6-0, 3-1 DNF
6. Claire Bartlett (UF) d. I-Chun Amy Chen (SC St.) 6-0, 6-0*

UF didn't lose a game in the three singles points counted.

Order of Finish: Doubles- 2, 1*; Singles-4, 2, 6*

USTennisfan
May 15th, 2010, 12:34 AM
Ditto Miami

No. 11 Miami 4, Boston University 0

Singles
1. #7 Laura Vallverdu (UM) vs. Stefanie Nunic (BU) 6-2, 1-0, unfinished
2. #40 Bianca Eichkorn (UM) def. Francine Whu (BU) 6-0, 6-0
3. #84 Anna Bartenstein (UM) vs. Vivien Laszloffy (BU) 6-2, 2-1, unfinished
4. Danielle Mills (UM) def. Petra Santini (BU) 6-0, 6-0
5. #113 Gabriela Mejia (UM) def. Monika Mical (BU) 6-0, 6-0
6. Claudia Wasilewski (UM) vs. Jessi Linero (BU) 6-3, 0-1, unfinished
Order of Finish: (5, 4, 2*)

Doubles
1. #6 Gabriela Mejia/Laura Vallverdu (UM) def. Stefanie Nunic/Vivien Laszloffy (BU) 8-1
2. #36 Anna Bartenstein/Bianca Eichkorn (UM) vs. Francine Whu/Monika Mical (BU) 7-2, unfinished
3. Danielle Mills/Claudia Wasilewski (UM) def. Petra Santini/Inayat Khosla (BU) 8-1
Order of Finish: (3, 1*)

Amalgamate
May 15th, 2010, 12:40 AM
And also Stanford!

gouci
May 15th, 2010, 02:17 AM
Mississippi def. UCI 4-0. Sorry gouci :hug:Thanks Amalgamate. On the bright side I still have the UCI men playing on Sat. to look forward to. ;)

barboza
May 15th, 2010, 12:17 PM
Duke would probably beat UVA as senior Jenny Stevens (UVA) has been suspended. In other words, her collegiate career is over.

Amalgamate
May 15th, 2010, 10:39 PM
Florida def. Washington 4-0 :o

Amalgamate
May 15th, 2010, 10:45 PM
Duke def. Virginia 4-1

mboyle
May 15th, 2010, 10:47 PM
Peace to all the haters who said UVA would beat Duke. As I expected, it wasn't even close. Three straight set victories for Duke. Not one of those sets was even that close. Pity that Liz Plotkin isn't playing as well as at the beginning of the season. I don't think we can beat UCLA without a win from her. We will see. Good to see UF won as well. Hope UNC loses!

Amalgamate
May 15th, 2010, 11:21 PM
Peace to all the haters who said UVA would beat Duke. As I expected, it wasn't even close. Three straight set victories for Duke. Not one of those sets was even that close. Pity that Liz Plotkin isn't playing as well as at the beginning of the season. I don't think we can beat UCLA without a win from her. We will see. Good to see UF won as well. Hope UNC loses!

Predicting an upset doesn't make someone a "hater" :o However, "Hope UNC loses!" does :rolleyes:

Oh and :secret: UNC won today 4-0.

desariofan
May 16th, 2010, 04:16 AM
UF's victory, aside from doubles, was by no means a catwalk. It was obvious that the top 2 singles lineups were battling it out and fitting that they weren't able to claim a point before the necessary 4. Kudos to Marrit Boonstra who won it in 2 tight sets for the team in her last home match of her college tennis career no less.

GO UF

mboyle
May 16th, 2010, 04:44 AM
Predicting an upset doesn't make someone a "hater" :o However, "Hope UNC loses!" does :rolleyes:

Oh and :secret: UNC won today 4-0.

I don't think I've ever been shy about my hatred of UNC.

Amalgamate
May 16th, 2010, 05:14 AM
I don't think I've ever been shy about my hatred of UNC.

I never said you were ever shy. I was just pointing out your laughable hypocrisy.

desariofan
May 16th, 2010, 05:24 AM
I never said you were ever shy. I was just pointing out your laughable hypocrisy.

you're never shy to start a personal attack, are you? :worship:

Amalgamate
May 16th, 2010, 05:33 AM
you're never shy to start a personal attack, are you? :worship:

I'm sorry, when exactly did I attack you personally? Oh right, I never did :rolleyes:

mboyle
May 16th, 2010, 05:47 AM

Wow you're so cool. You can form enemies on the internet. Sweet.

It's sports. Rivalry is half the fun. I like when people pick against Duke. It gives me something to get fired up about. I also like hating Carolina for the same reason. I don't actually hate Carolina the way I hate something that is evil. I "hate" them in a playful, fun way, so maybe you should lighten up and stop being so defensive on an internet message board.

mboyle
May 16th, 2010, 05:49 AM
I'm sorry, when exactly did I attack you personally? Oh right, I never did :rolleyes:

He never claimed that you did, at least in that post. He was pointing out that you were attacking me. For whatever reason, you have decided to hate me for cheering against UNC, even though I have never said one negative thing towards you.

darrinbaker00
May 16th, 2010, 06:04 AM
It wasn't. USC won the doubles point, but it was all Cal in singles, with freshman Tayler Davis winning the clincher. GO BEARS!!

desariofan
May 16th, 2010, 06:19 AM
He never claimed that you did, at least in that post. He was pointing out that you were attacking me. For whatever reason, you have decided to hate me for cheering against UNC, even though I have never said one negative thing towards you.

YES MAAM! at least someone comprehends my posts! :angel:

Amalgamate
May 16th, 2010, 06:45 AM
Wow you're so cool. You can form enemies on the internet. Sweet.

It's sports. Rivalry is half the fun. I like when people pick against Duke. It gives me something to get fired up about. I also like hating Carolina for the same reason. I don't actually hate Carolina the way I hate something that is evil. I "hate" them in a playful, fun way, so maybe you should lighten up and stop being so defensive on an internet message board.

Just speaking my mind :hug: Something you had no problem doing in your UNC post...

The post clearly implies that he/she has either 1.Been personally attacked by myself in the past or 2.Witnessed me personally attacking other people, neither of which is true.

YES MAAM! at least someone comprehends my posts! :angel:

:bowdown: You two! Such superior intellect! :bowdown:

desariofan
May 16th, 2010, 08:19 AM
:bowdown: You two! Such superior intellect! :bowdown:

why tank you tank you vely much :lol:

Tennisace
May 16th, 2010, 02:45 PM
It wasn't. USC won the doubles point, but it was all Cal in singles, with freshman Tayler Davis winning the clincher. GO BEARS!!

Kudos really has to go to Siwosz for taking her match to a third set. It would have been completely different had she fell in straight sets and putting pressure on the rest of the remaining singles to pull through.

We are going to have to clean-up our doubles before next week...too many missed opportunities.

johnnytennis
May 16th, 2010, 04:57 PM
Kudos really has to go to Siwosz for taking her match to a third set. It would have been completely different had she fell in straight sets and putting pressure on the rest of the remaining singles to pull through.

We are going to have to clean-up our doubles before next week...too many missed opportunities.

Now that were're heading into the Sweet 16, I see some really good matches starting Thursday.
I think Cal is going to have a real tough time against Notre Dame. Pretty solid lineup from top to bottom.

2nd_serve
May 16th, 2010, 05:31 PM
Pardon if this was covered in another thread, but I missed reading some of the forum comments. What happened in that Georgia Tech v. Mississippi match. Georgia Tech had some big momentum swings this year, but I'm surprised. Or, maybe I haven't been following Mississippi, are they really good?

2nd_serve
May 16th, 2010, 05:37 PM
In the round of 16, the Notre Dame (5) vs. California (12) match catches my eye with the fairly big difference in seedings 5 v 12, but I tend to go with Cal. How can we compare the teams?

fantic
May 16th, 2010, 05:57 PM
Pardon if this was covered in another thread, but I missed reading some of the forum comments. What happened in that Georgia Tech v. Mississippi match. Georgia Tech had some big momentum swings this year, but I'm surprised. Or, maybe I haven't been following Mississippi, are they really good?

Well I was actually surprised GT won the ACC. GT easily lost to CAL last season, and this year they don't even have McDowell.

I guess it's not that big of an upset, actually.

fantic
May 16th, 2010, 06:02 PM
In the round of 16, the Notre Dame (5) vs. California (12) match catches my eye with the fairly big difference in seedings 5 v 12, but I tend to go with Cal. How can we compare the teams?

Quite different, I think.

ND has EXCELLENT dbls program.

And unlike CAL which boats fantastic 1~3 singles lineup, ND doesn't have a superstar. Frilling is the highest ranked, #16 or

something. But they are VERY solid. They beat CU & BU to make final 4 last year, and lost to CAL, albeit winning the dbls pt.

ND definitely has a chance, they can sweep the singles lower positions..

fantic
May 17th, 2010, 08:21 PM
posted some UCLA vs ASU videos on my blog! And a brief comment on R16 team matches too.

For Duke;

PRO

They might win dbls pt, #2 and 3..

CON

Plotkin and Z didn't do that well against UVA players, Fraser & Vierra..

mboyle
May 18th, 2010, 12:47 AM
posted some UCLA vs ASU videos on my blog! And a brief comment on R16 team matches too.

For Duke;

PRO

They might win dbls pt, #2 and 3..

CON

Plotkin and Z didn't do that well against UVA players, Fraser & Vierra..

This is an interesting match. Duke relies on wins from 3, 4 and 6 to win its matches. We almost give away the number one slot from the beginning, and we cannot win the match if we lose number 3.

UCLA, interestingly, also has its strongest results at the 3 slot, followed by 5 and 6.

UCLA's weakest spot seems to be number 2. Duke's weakest spot is 1, but we don't have a rock solid 2 either.

In doubles, UCLA has a really strong one team. Duke has a really strong three team. UCLA's two team seems kind of weak. Duke's two team is good but not fantastic.

If Duke is going to win, we need to win the doubles point, and singles #3, 4 and 6. Unfortunately, both teams are strong at the bottom. UCLA is stronger at the top. I'm not feeling too great about this, and thus am predicting a UCLA victory. But if Duke wins, we'll take down those Tar Heels! ;)

fantic
May 18th, 2010, 05:53 AM
You're right, singles #3 just might decide the final outcome.

UCLA's Remynse vs DUKE's Zsilinszka..

Both are tough as nails at clinch situation...THE match to watch, if you ask me :yeah:

Oh, and actually UCLA #4 is tough to crack too, Pamela Montez.

barboza
May 18th, 2010, 06:46 AM

UVA was without Jenny Stevens who was suspended by the coach. She won't even get to play in the NCAA doubles tournament. What's even worse is that she's a senior. Plus, Lindsey Hardenbergh who beat Ellah was not in form at all.

mboyle
May 18th, 2010, 07:43 AM
UVA was without Jenny Stevens who was suspended by the coach. She won't even get to play in the NCAA doubles tournament. What's even worse is that she's a senior. Plus, Lindsey Hardenbergh who beat Ellah was not in form at all.

You lost with Jenny Stevens. You lost without Jenny Stevens. Neither match was particularly close. Liz Plotkin is not in form either; hence why she lost this time.

mboyle
May 18th, 2010, 07:45 AM
You're right, singles #3 just might decide the final outcome.

UCLA's Remynse vs DUKE's Zsilinszka..

Both are tough as nails at clinch situation...THE match to watch, if you ask me :yeah:

Oh, and actually UCLA #4 is tough to crack too, Pamela Montez.

But how do they play? That is key. If Remynse is a power player, Reka wins. If both win by attrition, then I have no idea what will happen.

What about Montez? How does she play? Amanda doesn't get overpowered almost ever. You have to make her miss (or attack her second serve). It seems like she's lost a few duel matches this season.

barboza
May 18th, 2010, 07:45 AM
You lost with Jenny Stevens. You lost without Jenny Stevens. Neither match was particularly close. Liz Plotkin is not in form either; hence why she lost this time.

Huh? The last time UVA played Duke, Jenny Stevens won, as did Lindsey against Ellah. Check your facts.

mboyle
May 18th, 2010, 07:52 AM
Huh? The last time UVA played Duke, Jenny Stevens won, as did Lindsey against Ellah. Check your facts.

And they still lost the match, did they not?

fantic
May 18th, 2010, 01:51 PM
But how do they play? That is key. If Remynse is a power player, Reka wins. If both win by attrition, then I have no idea what will happen.

What about Montez? How does she play? Amanda doesn't get overpowered almost ever. You have to make her miss (or attack her second serve). It seems like she's lost a few duel matches this season.

Andrea isn't particularly powerful. In fact you could say they play quite a similar game, and that's why

the outcome would be SO interesting. :cool:

Pamela Montez is pretty solid and quite a smart attacker too. Yes she lost some of the last dual season

match but before that she won all the way. She's not a ball basher so she doesn't miss much, and

she also can handle opponent's power well. And her drives are quite sharp, too. Can't remember

how Amanda played but it will be an interesting match.

desariofan
May 21st, 2010, 01:20 AM
well I was there to watch today starting 9am!

here's my summary -

Well, if you do come, please bring some cash. It's $10 for the all day pass, and you've got the parking ticket to pay as well. Parking is $5 all day if you tell the attendant that you were there to watch the tennis tourney.

I of course watched the UF vs Ole Miss match at the main courts. The doubles were tougher than I expected. Seems like these girls playing against UF are bring their best to the courts in this tournament. It came down to Will/Boonstra against Boxx/Nijssen. And, can I tell you how good those Ole Miss girls are at the net? Big serves to boot. W/B were actually down a break earlier, and it didn't help that Boonstra, while serving out for the match at 7-5, double faulted THREE times in a row!! It was quite surreal. Luckily they regrouped and broke to win the doubles point for FL.

While they were warming up for the singles matches, I strolled over to Miami vs NW. Somehow I knew Miami was going to win this one, but I didn't think it was going to be this easy. They'd already taken the doubles point and also warming up for the singles.

I went back to UF vs Ole Miss singles actions...

Boonstra is just a monster and a crazy #3 singles player. Poor girl from Ole Miss had nothing against Boonstra. Boonstra was literally blowing her out of the courts about 80% of the time and thus the easy win.

Will had a somewhat tougher time against Nijssen, but I think it's all because she's so intense in every single point, no matter she is up or down in the match. When she was up 5-1 in the second set and missed a pretty tough point, she screamed at her self so loud and appeared to be very upset. She takes tennis seriously and it's suffice to say that if she stays all four years in college, she'll be a force to be reckoned with.

While all this was going on, The #4, #5, and #6 singles for UF were all down a break in the first set. So it was easy to see how nervous the UF fans were at that moment, especially with Embree not really grasping a comfortable lead at any time in her match. You never know what the outcome is going to be with her at #1. She just grinds and grinds and finds ways to fight through.

Hitimana somehow found her groove and won a tight first set and was up 5-1 in the second... and wouldn't you know it, she lost that second set 7-5 and it didn't look like she had enough gas to pull through there as she went down a break to begin that third set.

Revzina had already lost her match by that time, which I found very alarming. It's her last year, and she didn't seem like she was even giving her best out on the court. She'd make a forced error one out of 3 shots, something she normally doesn't do. I really hope that she steps it up a notch in the following days.

Finally, this time it was Embree who clinched it for UF when she blasted Boxx's second serve down the line in the tiebreak. This girl, nothing spectacular, yet her strokes are textbook perfect and beautiful to watch.

I quickly ran over to Miami vs NW, as was expected, Miami by this time was up 3-1. I knew that Laura was going to win against Maria, but I just didn't think it was that easy of a match. Needless to say Miami won that. I was actually hoping for NW to come through simply because I wanted to see a UF vs NW rematch from the indoors.

That's all I can think of right now.

Anyone going this Sat?

mboyle
May 21st, 2010, 03:32 AM
Andrea isn't particularly powerful.

It's funny next to Reka she looked like freaking Serena Williams today...lol oh how I love watching Reka frustrate her opponents to death.

ebs
May 21st, 2010, 05:18 AM
Thanks for the info, desariofan.

I was concerned about the parking, because I'm a Gainesville-ite planning to go up for the semifinals/finals if the Gators get past Miami. (I rented a room for Monday night, which will only be a waste if they lose in the semis, so I've got my fingers crossed that that doesn't happen.)

I hope Nas finds her form for the rest of the tournament -- if she and Marrit are both on, we're in a very good spot. They were both amazing last year at 1 and 2, winning very difficult matches that kept the home winning streak alive. This year, I only made it to about two-thirds of the home matches, but I definitely saw those perfectionist streaks in Will and Embree.

I'm really hoping I get to come up and cheer for the team.

fantic
May 21st, 2010, 07:31 AM
parking fee :o Texas A&M didn't :worship:

mboyle
May 21st, 2010, 07:37 AM
Thanks for the info, desariofan.

I was concerned about the parking, because I'm a Gainesville-ite planning to go up for the semifinals/finals if the Gators get past Miami. (I rented a room for Monday night, which will only be a waste if they lose in the semis, so I've got my fingers crossed that that doesn't happen.)

I hope Nas finds her form for the rest of the tournament -- if she and Marrit are both on, we're in a very good spot. They were both amazing last year at 1 and 2, winning very difficult matches that kept the home winning streak alive. This year, I only made it to about two-thirds of the home matches, but I definitely saw those perfectionist streaks in Will and Embree.

I'm really hoping I get to come up and cheer for the team.

If Duke loses, I'm cheering for yall all the way! But if not, then I'm sorry but I'm going to have to be cheering for the (nearly impossible) upset!

desariofan
May 21st, 2010, 07:42 AM
If Duke loses, I'm cheering for yall all the way! But if not, then I'm sorry but I'm going to have to be cheering for the (nearly impossible) upset!

Duke probably has their work cut out for them again against UNC. I can see Duke getting through, but it'll be a tall order. But, hey, they did it against UCLA (whom was my biggest concern in this half of the draw for UF, that's why I was cheering for Duke today lol), they just might get through UNC. Then it's ON!

fantic
May 21st, 2010, 07:51 AM
Funny, one half is all SE teams

i had my doubts last year, but it really seems SE is better than Pac 10 :o

fantic
May 21st, 2010, 07:55 AM
This is one of the most lackluster NCAA ever.

4-3 match only on the FIRST RD, UNLV def. VCU, UVA def. PRINCETON

ONLY TWO MATCHES :o What does this mean...not good..

mboyle
May 21st, 2010, 07:58 AM
Duke probably has their work cut out for them again against UNC. I can see Duke getting through, but it'll be a tall order. But, hey, they did it against UCLA (whom was my biggest concern in this half of the draw for UF, that's why I was cheering for Duke today lol), they just might get through UNC. Then it's ON!

We were THIS close against UNC both times. We should have won both matches. Monica Gorny was up love-30 on Featherson's serve at 5-5 in the third set (that's after being up 4-2). I have NO IDEA how she lost that match. Liz Plotkin basically broke her wrist after just demolishing Katrina Tseng in the first set. In my heart, I really believe we are a better team. Of course, I'm just a wee bit biased ;) , but I honestly think if you look at the teams, Duke has some pretty real advantages. UNC does play with a heck of a lot of heart. I will say that.

1--Sanaz unfortunately seems to have Ellah's number. Ellah doesn't seem to remember to hit everything to Sanaz's backhand. Still, all three matches Ellah has lost to Sanaz have been in three sets. It's not like Sanaz blows her off the court. Still, ad UNC

2--There's no question in my mind that Plotkin is a better tennis player than Tsang. UNC and Katrina got VERY lucky that Liz hurt her wrist. She was going to walk away with a 6-2; 6-2 victory. Katrina just can't match Liz's power when Liz is confident and feeling well. The big question is how does Liz react to today's win? If she builds on it, she's going to be scary. If she gets injured again or is unsure of herself, she'll lose and so will Duke, probably. For now, Advantage Duke

3--There's no way Reka loses. None.

4--Amanda is on fire right now. This depends on whom she plays. That Gina girl is really good, but the UNC coach for some reason likes to have her play Mary. If Amanda plays Sophie again, advantage Duke for sure.

5--If Monica wins, it's going to be a loooong day in the office for UNC. She beat Grabinski but lost to Featherson. She's not playing particularly well right now though. Advantage UNC (but again, not a huge advantage)

6--Mary's not going to beat that Gina girl. That was just brutal trying to watch that. But I think she would beat Featherson again. She's been just absolutely on fire lately, hitting bombs to the corners. Advantage Duke

Doubles: 50/50. It all comes down to the 2 spot. Duke has been playing very well at doubles lately.

So, the way I see it, Duke has better than a 50% chance to win 2, 3 and either 4 or 6 (whichever one Gina doesn't play), a 50% chance to win doubles, and a 40% chance to win at 1 and 5. The only match that UNC starts out with a rock hard advantage is Gina's match, and honestly if she plays Amanda I'm not even sure that holds. Reka is going to win. I'll bet the farm on it, so we're basically starting off 1-1 in my book. It's going to be a tough match, but I'll take those odds more than I'll take the odds of your typical 10 seed taking on a 2 seed. If Gina plays the 4 spot like she has the whole tournament, I really, really like our chances, even if we drop doubles.

desariofan
May 21st, 2010, 07:59 AM
This is one of the most lackluster NCAA ever.

4-3 match only on the FIRST RD, UNLV def. VCU, UVA def. PRINCETON

ONLY TWO MATCHES :o What does this mean...not good..

hold your horses - until Saturday.

fantic
May 21st, 2010, 08:01 AM
Aren't you gonna sleep? It's like 4am there :lol: Good Night!

fantic
May 21st, 2010, 01:26 PM
from my blog;

FRIDAY, MAY 21, 2010

THE PLAYER TO WATCH;

May 17, 2009
NCAA Division I Tennis Championships 
Women’s Quarterfinals 
May 17, 2009

George P. Mitchell Tennis Center 
College Station Texas

#5 NOTRE DAME 4, #4 BAYLOR 3 
RECORDS: Notre Dame 28-4; Baylor 27-5

SINGLES 

4. Shannon Mathews, ND def. (#70) Csilla Borsanyi, BU, 5-7, 6-3, 6-4

----
No. 6 Notre Dame 4, No. 12 California 2 
California (20-6, 5-2 Pac-10), Notre Dame (25-3) 

Thursday, May 20, 2010 

Singles

1. No. 2 Jana Juricova (CAL) def. No. 16 Kristy Frilling (UND) 6-4, 6-3

2. No. 108 Shannon Matthews (UND) def. No. 18 Marina Cossou (CAL) 6-3, 6-0

SHANNON MATHEWS.

At that match against Borsanyi, which clinched the match against Baylor,

ND coach says he told Mathews that this is where legends are made. (link) (http://www.aggieathletics.com/ncaa2009/tennis/match12women.html)

She did it again this year..should've paid attention to this player

She was the FIRST to finish the singles match :eek: :worship:

Jumped this year from singles #4 to #2..

Bad memory for Cossou, last year Frilling and this year Mathews.

So.

Is she now in the elite group of sophomores? She seems pretty too :hearts:

Let's find out tomorrow.

#2 Shannon Mathews (ranked no 128) vs Maria Sorbello (ranked no. 62)

Embittered
May 21st, 2010, 04:23 PM
from my blog;

FRIDAY, MAY 21, 2010

THE PLAYER TO WATCH;

SHANNON MATHEWS.

Well, I've been watching her results since she demolished the entire GB 14U team in consecutive rounds in an ITF a couple of years back (including the incoming Wimbledon girls' champion, if you think that's not much of an achievement). Also, she's one very natural misspelling away from being the principal in a notorious fake kidnapping case.

fantic
May 21st, 2010, 05:43 PM
Oh, didn't know she had a reputation as a English Killer :haha:

And yeah, that's what I got when I googled the name, kidnapping case :lol:

2nd_serve
May 21st, 2010, 05:52 PM
Saturday, May 22: Women's Team Tournament (Quarterfinals)
1 p.m.: Match #9, DMTC / McWhorter Courts - Miami v. Florida
2 p.m.: Match #10, DMTC / Henry Feild Courts - Duke v. UNC
4 p.m.: Match #11, DMTC / McWhorter Courts - Tenn. v. Notre Dame
5 p.m.: Match #12, DMTC / Henry Feild Courts - Baylor v. Stanford.

fantic
May 21st, 2010, 06:02 PM
Are both courts webcasted or which one? Thx I'm afraid I might just go to Carson, so.

gouci
May 21st, 2010, 06:08 PM
And yeah, that's what I got when I googled the name, kidnapping case :lol:Did you also play Pac Man on Google? :lol:

You can play Pac Man on Google (http://www.google.com/) today only, just press insert coin and use the arrow keys for the controls. :bounce:

I did a few times. :drool: :drool::drool:

2nd_serve
May 21st, 2010, 06:12 PM
Are both courts webcasted or which one? Thx I'm afraid I might just go to Carson, so.

Both courts are webcast. The Henry Courts have better livestats, giving the 15-40 score, the McHorton courts only give the game score. Yesterday several cameras at the McHorton courts were terribly out of focus, but it looks like the problem has been corrected.

video feeds. (http://www.georgiadogs.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=40770&SPID=3599&DB_LANG=C&DB_OEM_ID=8800&ATCLID=204948554)

I found it best to open several video feeds with tab browsing, and have a separate browser window open for the livestat scores.

fantic
May 21st, 2010, 06:12 PM
Wow thanks! Pac Man, good memories!! Played that when I lived in NY years ago :lol:

fantic
May 21st, 2010, 06:15 PM
Both courts are webcast. The Henry Courts have better livestats, giving the 15-40 score, the McHorton courts only give the game score. Yesterday several cameras at the McHorton courts were terribly out of focus, but it looks like the problem has been corrected.

Thx. Yesterday some courts had a score. Didn't change an inch :haha:

2nd_serve
May 21st, 2010, 06:18 PM
Maybe not, the cameras should be refocused.

ebs
May 22nd, 2010, 09:00 PM
UF wins 4-0.

After a shaky day at 2 doubles yesterday, Embree and Mather won 8-3 today, and 3 doubles followed suit.

Embree was on form and was the first to post a singles win, 6-4 6-2, clinching her match against Vallverdu on an awesome passing shot. Mather followed against Mejla, also 6-4 6-2. Revzina closed out the match with a 6-2 3-6 6-4 victory over Mills.

Will and Boonstra struggled out of the gate, losing their first sets against Elchkorn and Bartenstein 7-5 and 6-4. Will had come back to win the second 6-4 and was up 2-1 when the match ended. Boonstra won the second set in a tiebreak and was in the first game of the third. Hitimana won her first set 6-4 but had trouble closing out her match -- she was in a second set tiebreak when Revzina won.

---------------------

UNC and Duke are in a dogfight, Duke leading 2-1. UNC isn't playing Durisic in singles.

Duke took doubles 1 and 2, 8-5 and 8-6.

1 -- Marand vs Nze, 6-3 3-6 (double bp for Ellah to open the 3rd)
2 -- Tsang def Plotkin, 6-4 6-3
3 -- Zsilinszka def Grabinski, 6-2 6-3
4 -- Suarez-Malabuti leads Granson, 7-6 3-1
5 -- Featherston vs Gorny, 5-7 6-4
6 -- DeBruycker leads Clayton, 2-6 6-2 3-0

mboyle
May 22nd, 2010, 09:07 PM
Well I'm pretty sure we're going to lose because of Mary Clayton. Up 6-2; 2-1 and then falls apart. Gorny up 7-5; 3-0 points for 4-0 and falls apart. Granson up a break in the first. Plotkin up a break in the first and second. I mean, we don't deserve to win when we waste chances like that.

ebs
May 22nd, 2010, 09:09 PM
Ellah and Sanaz traded breaks to open the third. It looked really good for Duke early in the singles, with Reka winning as expected, but losing 6 (barring a comeback) hurts, because now they need two out of 1, 4 and 5.

It looks like it will come down to 1 and 5, Ellah vs Sanaz and Monica vs Shinann. Both courts have now traded breaks to open their third sets.

ebs
May 22nd, 2010, 09:18 PM
Gorny had a chance for 4-0 in the second? She's certainly fighting to stay in it, now. I wonder what happened that she lost 6 of 7.

I hope Ellah can come back. Not that as a UF fan I'd rather not play the Tar Heels; I've just always rooted for Duke over UNC since I was little.

fantic
May 22nd, 2010, 09:23 PM
Wow McWhorter court #1 video is REALLY blurry :haha:

mboyle
May 22nd, 2010, 09:24 PM
Ellah and Sanaz traded breaks to open the third. It looked really good for Duke early in the singles, with Reka winning as expected, but losing 6 (barring a comeback) hurts, because now they need two out of 1, 4 and 5.

It looks like it will come down to 1 and 5, Ellah vs Sanaz and Monica vs Shinann. Both courts have now traded breaks to open their third sets.

Mary (court 6) has done that a couple times this season. She'll be cruising along, and then she loses one tight game and doesn't win another game the whole match. It's one of the most bizarre things I've seen in college tennis.

ebs
May 22nd, 2010, 09:27 PM
Whoa, whoa, hold your horses. Ellah breaks at love for her second break in a row, three straight games, and will be serving at 4-3. Her forehand was looking awesome on the first point of that game.

And Monica holds for 4-2.

ebs
May 22nd, 2010, 09:43 PM
#&%^! Did she break a string at 4-5 15-all in the 3rd?

mboyle
May 22nd, 2010, 09:46 PM
What a way to lose. Four straight unforced errors. But I mean Ellah had a tough match. We lost the match because Mary Clayton fell apart. Everyone else did as well as could be expected, but Mary had a bad match, and that was the difference. Congrats to UNC.

ebs
May 22nd, 2010, 09:47 PM
Iffy call on match point. Shame regardless, to be down 3-1 in the 3rd, win 3 straight (2 breaks), then lose 3 straight.

mboyle
May 22nd, 2010, 09:52 PM
Iffy call on match point. Shame regardless, to be down 3-1 in the 3rd, win 3 straight (2 breaks), then lose 3 straight.

Yeah I mean all four singles matches that Duke lost were completely winnable.

1: Ellah was up 1-0 (break) and then 4-3 (break) in the third set.
2: Plotkin was up a break in the first set and the second set.
4: Granson was up a break in the first set
6: Uh...Mary Clayton was the first person to win a set and was just crushing her opponent. Then she couldn't put a ball in the court.

I was really hoping UCLA was a turning point for us, but, once again, we got ourselves into winning positions and then couldn't close. Story of the season, really. I've never seen a team lose more three set matches and 4-3 ties. This hurts, but I know we have solid players next year, with or without Capra (and I just have a feeling she might show up in January).

ebs
May 22nd, 2010, 09:55 PM
Yeah, shame on McWhorter #1 camera. A huge comeback by ND there. And, I was looking forward to watching some of the Whoriskey/Frilling match.

mboyle
May 22nd, 2010, 10:33 PM
On the flip side, I don't know if I've seen a team win more 4-3 ties and three set matches than UNC.

barboza
May 23rd, 2010, 05:01 AM
Truth be told, UNC is not a steady top 5 team. They've been very lucky.

its_a_racquet
May 23rd, 2010, 12:24 PM
Truth be told, UNC is not a steady top 5 team. They've been very lucky.

You create your own 'luck', unless you are saying they get multiple let-cord winners, etc., etc.?

Who are the top-5, in your opinion - clearly has to include Stanford, Baylor, and Florida. Who else??

jlk561
May 23rd, 2010, 02:37 PM
Maybe Notre Dame??????? You Think?? This Is Their Second Year In The Final Four. Some Credit Due Folks.

its_a_racquet
May 23rd, 2010, 03:39 PM
I would agree that ND and NC would round out the top 5. Don't really bring last year into it though. The top 5 I mentioned are based only on this season. If ND takes out Stanford tomorrow, I'll give you more credit than your could have hoped for.....

jlk561
May 23rd, 2010, 10:33 PM
Hope You Will Have To Dish It Out. Tomorrow Will Tell. Thanks. Have A Great Day!

barboza
May 24th, 2010, 12:51 AM
You create your own 'luck', unless you are saying they get multiple let-cord winners, etc., etc.?

Who are the top-5, in your opinion - clearly has to include Stanford, Baylor, and Florida. Who else??

Stanford
Baylor
Florida
Notre Dame
Michigan/Northwestern

tucker1989
May 24th, 2010, 01:36 AM
I don't agree at all with putting this year's Northwestern team above UNC. I don't think that UNC is the second best team in the country, but they are certainly one of the top 5

ebs
May 24th, 2010, 04:24 AM
Well, I'm hitting the road to Athens in a few hours.

The weather looks iffy both Monday and Tuesday. I'm not sure if they'd start the matches early, move then inside and start them early, or postpone them until later in the week.

In anyone knows how they typically do it at the NCAAs, let me know.

Shucks.

fantic
May 24th, 2010, 06:21 AM
Maybe Notre Dame??????? You Think?? This Is Their Second Year In The Final Four. Some Credit Due Folks.

I always thought that their uniform design and color was cool.

So I at last ordered a ND cap yesterday.

:haha:

Let's see, now I have two USC visors, one Cal visor, one UCLA visor, one ASU cap, one UT cap (actually this was BEFORE

I got interested in NCAA :lol: )..