SWISSCOM-CHALLENGE 2002 TV COVERAGE

Day Date Time Round

Tuesday 15.10 15h & 18h30 live 1 and 2
Wednesday 16.10 15h & 18h30 live 2
Thursday 17.10 15h & 20h live 2 & quarters
Friday 18.10 15h & 20h live quarters
Saturday 19.10 from 14h live semi-finals
Sunday 20.10 17h re-live final

I'm really looking forward to Kim playing this tournament cause I've tickets for Tuesday and I really hope that I'll manage to meet Kim and take some pics of her ....

GO KIM
:bounce:

Lleykimmy1
Oct 8th, 2002, 11:54 AM
I just forgott to precise that the Tv transmission is on EUROSPORT ....

GO KIM !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Pinkie
Oct 8th, 2002, 09:38 PM
Did Kim participate in this tournament last year? What round did she get to?

Peridotpixie
Oct 8th, 2002, 11:16 PM
No, Kim didn't play Zurich last year which means it's a great opportunity for her to get some points!

Lleykimmy1
Oct 10th, 2002, 09:10 AM
They also show the tournament on SF1, a swiss german channel, but I don't know if it's possible to see it from other countries as from Switzerland.

GO KIM YOU CAN WIN THE SWISSCOM CHALLENGE 2002 !!!!!!!!!

:bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

Oct 10th, 2002, 11:11 AM
GO KIM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

Bigkimfan
Oct 10th, 2002, 07:36 PM
yeh!!! Good luck Kim!!!

:bounce: :bounce: Come on Kim!!!:bounce: :bounce:

Bigkimfan
Oct 12th, 2002, 07:23 PM
1st round: Daja Bedanova
2nd round: Farina Elia Silvia or Coetzer Amanda
Quarterfinal: probably Davenport:fiery:
half final: probably Justine Henin or Myskina Anastacia
final: Capriati, Dokic, Mauresmo, Hantuchova

Again a bad draw I think!!!!!
:mad:

:bounce: :bounce: Good luck Kim!!!:bounce: :bounce:

Bigkimfan
Oct 12th, 2002, 07:36 PM
sorry, I forgot that there was already a Swisscom Challenge thread!!!!

:bounce: :bounce: Good luck Kim!!!:bounce: :bounce:

Ed.:
(is OK, I arranged it :) )

arn
Oct 12th, 2002, 08:18 PM
It will be VERY hard! After all her 3-set matches I hope she will be fit enough to do well in Zurich.

Bedanova as a first round is not a cakewalk

Oct 13th, 2002, 12:53 AM
Kim looked like she was just starting to get warmed up at the end of her match against Mauresmo

billybizar
Oct 13th, 2002, 06:09 AM
Umm, I don't know untitled. She's played some tough matches so far (Filderstadt). Maybe that she's warmed up in the arms of Amelie, then I agree. :D

Oct 13th, 2002, 06:19 AM
:confused:

billybizar
Oct 13th, 2002, 06:26 AM
Sorry, you probably didn't see the pic where Amelie and Kim fell into eachother's arms just after the match? Some guys on the board made some sexual connotations about it. It was just a reference.

Oct 13th, 2002, 06:54 AM
I saw the pics, but not what people wrote about it.

Lleykimmy1
Oct 13th, 2002, 08:43 AM
Could you tell me where I can find this photo that you're speaking about please ?

Tanks

GO KIM !!! :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

Elleke
Oct 13th, 2002, 08:55 AM
here

Lleykimmy1
Oct 13th, 2002, 09:08 AM
Thank you !!!!!!!

:bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

GO KIM !!!!!!!!!

Oct 13th, 2002, 02:25 PM
KIM WON FILDERSTADT!!!!!!!!!!!!!:bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: Let's hope she can keep it up this week

Kim_for_number_1
Oct 13th, 2002, 02:28 PM
woohoo she did!

hope she's not going to be too tired, and hope she doesn't have to play tomorrow, because this tourney already started today...

NaturalBlues
Oct 13th, 2002, 02:37 PM
No williamses! YAY :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

Come-on-kim
Oct 13th, 2002, 02:54 PM
I think that Kim need to take a rest for this week

Brαm
Oct 13th, 2002, 05:52 PM
Yeah maybe she should... If she wants to do well in Luxembourg & LA, then she shouldn't overplay! We don't want her to get Dokicitis, right? ;)

Well, as long as she doesn't play doubles, it's ok for me. Too bad she didn't get a bye in the 1st round :(

Filip!
Oct 13th, 2002, 06:56 PM
I also think it would be better to take a week rest...

Kim plays also doubles in Zurich, with Hantuchova!

Lleykimmy1
Oct 13th, 2002, 08:36 PM
Yeah for her it would maybe be better not to play Zurich, but I REALLY hope that she will play, because I bought tickets to see her playing there, so hopefully she'll play .... ;-)

GO KIM !!!!!!!!!:bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

Lleykimmy1
Oct 13th, 2002, 08:45 PM
I saw the programm for tomorrow and Kim is not going to play. She also doesn't play the double tomorrow. She will maybe start playing on Tuesday.

GO KIM !!

Cilla
Oct 13th, 2002, 09:37 PM
:eek: @ Amelie's wandering hand......:o :p

Good Luck in Zurich Kim (Hope you're not too tired :kiss: )

Filip!
Oct 14th, 2002, 06:41 AM
I think it would be better not to play this week...

In a Belgian newspaper, she says she has a cold and is very tired after this 3 three-setters...

Next week, she will have points to defend in Luxemburg (I think), so I think that's dangerous to get "Dokicitis"...

*annamaria*
Oct 14th, 2002, 07:12 AM
I guess Kim needs kind of tough draws, look what she made of it in Filderstadt... :D
But, I agree, she's probably tired because there were a couple of tough matches to play. In an interview with DSF Kim said that she had a cold at the beginning of this week, she also said that her family, friends and Lleyton looked after her so well, -- " I was the patient and they all were like my nurses"--, that good care made her play so well... :angel:

Oct 14th, 2002, 11:09 AM
Kim had a "cold"?! More like she caught Lleyton's virus :( It's great that he loves her, but he really needs to learn to stay away when he's sick

angele87
Oct 14th, 2002, 01:45 PM
Originally posted by *annamaria*
I guess Kim needs kind of tough draws, look what she made of it in Filderstadt... :D
But, I agree, she's probably tired because there were a couple of tough matches to play. In an interview with DSF Kim said that she had a cold at the beginning of this week, she also said that her family, friends and Lleyton looked after her so well, -- " I was the patient and they all were like my nurses"--, that good care made her play so well... :angel:

:hearts: :hearts: :hearts: :hearts: :hearts: :hearts:

Peridotpixie
Oct 14th, 2002, 02:57 PM
Originally posted by untitled2284
Kim had a "cold"?! More like she caught Lleyton's virus :( It's great that he loves her, but he really needs to learn to stay away when he's sick

I don't think she has Lleyton's virus--she probably wouldn't have been able to play through it. But it is odd that they seem so close while he's supposedly quite ill.

lleytnkim
Oct 14th, 2002, 05:19 PM
Lleyton's virus is not that serious. So I'm not gonna assume Kim caught it from him. I have a bad cold sometimes due to allergies and weather changes. We don't even know if Lleyt has cold. And I'm sure if it was that serious then he loves her enough to stay away from her for a while, no matter how hard it is. And this is from *annamaria*'s post below for further assurance.

In an interview with DSF Kim said that she had a cold at the beginning of this week, she also said that her family, friends and Lleyton looked after her so well, -- " I was the patient and they all were like my nurses"--, :hearts: :hearts:

Here's an article from 'the australian' newspaper site today.

Virus sidelines Hewitt

From correspondents in Madrid
October 14, 2002

A VIRUS will keep world No.1 Lleyton Hewitt out of the inaugural Madrid Tennis Masters starting tomorrow.

Hewitt picked up the virus during a tournament in Tokyo earlier this month when he lost in the quarter-finals to Paradorn Srichaphan of Thailand.

Hewitt's condition is not serious, but he won't be taking any risks in the lead-up to next month's Masters Cup in Shanghai for which he has already qualified.

"We're hoping he will play in the upcoming Paris Masters Series tournament (starting on October 28)," said Rob Aivatoglou, a spokesman for Hewitt's management team Octagon.

"If he was fit he would have played in Madrid, but he's a little run-down so he won't compete this week.

"He doesn't want to jeopardise anything ahead of the Masters Cup."

There you go! Hope that article helps! :)

Bigkimfan
Oct 14th, 2002, 05:53 PM
Eurosport is not gonna broadcast Kim's 1st round match!!! The live broadcasting starts at 6.30pm and ends at 8.00pm. Kim's match is the 2nd match after 6.15pm...:sad:

spiritfullfrog
Oct 15th, 2002, 09:04 AM
here's the schedule for tuesday. :D

Centre Court
11.00 a.m.
Sugiyama (JPN) vs. Stevenson (USA)
followed by
Ruano Pascual/Suarez (ESP/ARG) vs. Davenport/Rubin (USA/USA)

not before 2.50 p.m.
Myskina (RUS) vs. Raymond (USA)
Husarova (SVK) vs. Hantuchova (SVK)

not before 6.15 p.m.
Schnyder (SUI) vs. Chladkova (CZE)
followed by
Clijsters (BEL) vs. Bedanova (CZE)
followed by
Schnyder/Svensson (SUI/SWE) vs. Lee/Prakusya (TPE/INA)

KaseyL
Oct 15th, 2002, 01:21 PM
Kim's dad talked to Belgian newspaper 'Belang van Limburg':

(October 15, 2002 - translation by Ingrid)

Dad Leo warns: “Don’t be upset if she gets beaten by Bedanova. It is very normal that you can suffer a defeat by someone from the top 50. There aren’t many top players who can survive 5/6 weeks in a row without a scratch. We are very satisfied with Kim’s season. She has been playing at a very high level the past three months. Taking her arm injury into account, becoming world number 5 is unexpectedly good.”

END

Well, I hope it won't happen, of course! Go Kim! :bounce:

KaseyL
Oct 15th, 2002, 01:30 PM
Bob Larson's forecast:

The question for #6 seed Kim Clijsters is how much gas she has left. She's been playing a lot lately -- Princess Cup final, Leipzig semifinal, and she just won Filderstadt -- where she talked of how tired she is. (And we were wondering about that even before she said it.) She's done very well in that month. But she faces tough challenges. She opens against Daja Bedanova, who is about due for a hot streak. And if she survives that, she'll face Amanda Coetzer, who upset Silvia Farina Elia. Coetzer doesn't like indoors much, and it's probably the best surface for Clijsters -- but Coetzer make you play a long time....

KaseyL
Oct 15th, 2002, 01:33 PM
Rankings at stake this week, still Bob Larson's text:

"The Rankings.

The story never changes at the top, and won't between now and the end of the year. Serena and Venus Williams are set at #1 and #2. But Jennifer Capriati has reason to feel shakier about her #3 ranking. She has semifinal points to defend, and she really needs to start earning points if she wants to end the year at #3. Particularly with Amelie Mauresmo in the draw; the Frenchwoman didn't play last year. It doesn't appear that Mauresmo can pass Capriati this week, but she can certainly put more heat on her.

Below that, it's all chaos from #4 to #11. Kim Clijsters has a shot at Mauresmo if the Frenchwoman does badly. And every spot below that is in play; only a few dozen points separate #6 from #8.

Plus, it's getting to be "put up or shut up" time for Lindsay Davenport. Davenport's loss at Filderstadt dropped her to #10. And she's the defending Zurich champion. Another early loss could drop her down to #11, letting Martina Hingis back into the Top Ten. (Maybe Zurich won't be so bad for Hingis after all.)

Also standing to take a hit is Jelena Dokic, who reached the final last year in a draw that was badly thrown off balance by Hingis's last-minute withdrawal. She's back up to #6, but it's unlikely that even a win can take her higher, and if she continues her recent streak of bad results, she's staring at no better than #8.

Daniela Hantuchova just made her way into the Top Ten, and did well enough that her spot is safe for the time being. But she does have a lot of points (last year, she qualified, then beat Shaughnessy and Schett before losing to Davenport in the quarterfinal). Failure to defend could affect her year-end ranking.

Circumstances being what they are, Monica Seles, the only other inactive player, could end up anywhere from #6 to #9.

Further down the rankings, Rita Grande comes in just barely clinging to the Top 40 and with Bratislava final points to defend. An early loss could put her out of the Top Fifty.

valentine
Oct 15th, 2002, 07:22 PM
yeeesss KIm won:bounce: :bounce:

kit
Oct 15th, 2002, 07:25 PM
Yeah,Kim won 7-5,6-2 against Bedanova!!
Good luck in the next round!!
:bounce: Come on Kimmy!!!:bounce:

Bigkimfan
Oct 15th, 2002, 07:31 PM
yeh!!! Well done Kim!!! Good luck against Coetzer!!!

KaseyL
Oct 15th, 2002, 09:11 PM
From the tournament's website:

HEWITT A SPECTATOR AS CLIJSTERS CONTINUES GOOD FORM

Kim Clijsters picked up in Zurich where she left off in Filderstadt, by winning.

The sixth seed beat Daja Bedanova 7-5 6-2 in 77 minutes in front of a good Schluefweg Arena crowd which included her boyfriend Lleyton Hewitt.

Her victory, which sets up a second round clash with Amanda Coetzer, was very much in Hewitt's style - Clijsters traded punches in a close first set, sneaked the break in the 11th game, and once she had taken the first set she never looked back.

That result completes the first round of the Swisscom Challenge, with all the seeds safely through.

angele87
Oct 15th, 2002, 09:44 PM
Kim sounds pretty sick :(

Clijsters continues winning ways. Stevenson ousts Sugiyama
Tue Oct 15, 4:38 PM ET
By ERICA BULMAN, Associated Press Writer

ZURICH, Switzerland - Fresh off her title in Filderstadt, a runny-nosed Kim Clijsters continued her winning ways Tuesday, defeating Czech Daja Bedanova 7-5, 6-2 in the opening round of the US$1,224,000 Swisscom Challenge.

Earlier, American qualifier Alexandra Stevenson countered 11 double faults with 10 aces to oust Japan's Ai Sugiyama in straight sets while seventh-seeded Daniela Hantuchova of Slovakia eliminated compatriot Janette Husarova 7-6 (5), 6-1.

The sixth-seeded Clijsters, who defeated Hantuchova in the final at Filderstadt on Sunday, needed time to adjust to the much slower surface in Zurich. But the Belgian, with boyfriend Lleyton Hewitt watching from the sidelines, quickly found her groove in the second set to post her sixth straight win.

"It feels like only a few hours ago I was playing on center court in Filderstadt," said a shivering Clijsters, hugging herself tightly. "I was on a high last week and playing three-set matches over two hours. So it was hard to get going here.

"Plus I've had colds on and off the past month and I've been sick for a week," she said, adding that she had just passed on her cold to Hewitt. "But as long as I keep on winning, I'll take that (the cold) with it."

Clijsters will face Amanda Coetzer in the second round.

"She beat (Jelena) Dokic in Moscow," Clijsters said. "She's a tough opponent. She fights every ball and she runs a lot of balls down.

"I'll have to make fewer unforced errors," concluded the Belgian, who committed 37 unforced errors to Bedanova's 26.

Stevenson, who reached the quarterfinals of Filderstadt last week before losing to Hantuchova, won five consecutive games in the second set to defeat Sugiyama 6-3, 6-4.

"I was down 4-1. I gave her a couple of breaks," the 21-year-old Stevenson said sheepishly. "But then I broke back. It was good."

Stevenson will meet fifth-seeded Dokic in the second round. The two last met in the round of 16 just over a month ago in Montreal, where Dokic won in three sets.

The match may once again prove tough for the Yugoslav. The promising young American has toppled several big names this season, such as Coetzer and Elena Dementieva, and twice upset Jennifer Capriati.

In addition, the weary Dokic — who finally broke a four-match losing streak Monday with a win over 1995 champion Iva Majoli — is showing signs of wear, having played 74 matches over 28 tournaments this season.

Stevenson is appearing in her 24th event, but has played fewer matches, generally going out earlier than Dokic at tournaments.

Hantuchova, like Clijsters, appeared uncertain in her opening set against Husarova, needing time to accustom herself to the slower surface. Once settled, however, Hantuchova had little difficulty taming her fellow countrywoman.

"It took awhile getting used to the bounce," Hantuchova said. "I expected a tough match so I'm glad, especially in the second set where I had her under control and I dominated."

In other action, eighth-seeded Anastasia Myskina of Russia defeated Lisa Raymond of the United States 6-4, 4-6, 6-2.

After clinching the opening session, Myskina faltered slightly, and Raymond, attacking particularly well, was able to even the sets. But the Russian raised her game in the third, jumping to a 4-0 lead to put the match out of reach.

Local favorite Patty Schnyder kept spectators happy, beating Czech Denisa Chladkova 6-3, 6-2.

Cilla
Oct 15th, 2002, 09:59 PM
Originally posted by angele87
"Plus I've had colds on and off the past month and I've been sick for a week," she said, adding that she had just passed on her cold to Hewitt. "But as long as I keep on winning, I'll take that (the cold) with it."

:( :( Lleyki & their sicknesses.

Hawk
Oct 15th, 2002, 10:47 PM
I don't like that shivering thing, that could mean she's got a fever :(
Poor Lleyton he came with a virus and now Kim's given him her cold :o Lleyton and Kim, you guys gotta stop sharing the wealth!

Lleykimmy1
Oct 16th, 2002, 08:21 AM
Yesterday was one of the greatest days of my life. Because I went to Zurich and I met Kim Clijsters, I'm so happy !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We went to Zurich very early and when we arrived, Davenport, Stevenson, Chladkova and Rubin were training and we were able to go really near of the court. We were just beside the court. And then we saw Daniela Hantuchova who arrived and we went to her and she signed on a picture. At this moment, I really hoped that Kim would come to train so I would meet her. And then just like a miracle, she arrived with her mother Els, her physio and her coach. I didn't know what to say or what to do, because I was so shocked to have the great Kim Clijsters in front of me !!!

Then she began to do stretching and so and we were waiting (my friend and I) for her to finish and so we could ask her an autograph. We were the only fans who where there at this moment. Afer the stretching, she was looking for someting in her bag, and fortunately for us her mother told her that we were here waiting for autographs, because otherwise she maybe wouldn't have see us and would have gone to train on the court.

So she came and signed a picture that I had of her, it was a really great moment for me !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My friend took a lot of pictures of Kim when she was training and after the match, and as soon as I can, I'll scan them for you to see them !!!!

Later when she played her match, I saw Lleyton in the boxes, with Jason his coach and a friend. With my friend we had brought a belgian flag, and everytime that Kim was doing a point we were moving the flag, and I think she saw it, because at the end of her match when she won, she threw a ball in our direction, but a women kept it. And after that she threw 4 other signed balls and one came to use, but my friend hasn't been able to catch it and unfortunately an old man kept it. I was a little bit sad, because she really shot these two balls in our direction because of the belgian flag and we haven't been able to catch them... ;-(

But yesterday, I spent one of the greatest days of my life, because to meet Kim was one of my dreams and I think it would never realize. Yes it did, and it was wonderful !!!!!!!!!!!!!

GO KIMMIE, I'LL STILL BE BEHIND YOU AND SUPPORT YOU, YOU'RE THE BEST PLAYER I'VE EVER SEEN !!!! THANK YOU TO BE SO GREAT WITH YOUR FANS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

Lleykimmy1
Oct 16th, 2002, 08:29 AM
Kim plays only in doubles today with Daniela Hantuchova. It's the last match of the day.

GOOD LUCK KIM AND DANI !!!!!!

-Fienesse-
Oct 16th, 2002, 08:51 AM
Originally posted by Lleykimmy1
Yesterday was one of the greatest days of my life. Because I went to Zurich and I met Kim Clijsters, I'm so happy !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We went to Zurich very early and when we arrived, Davenport, Stevenson, Chladkova and Rubin were training and we were able to go really near of the court. We were just beside the court. And then we saw Daniela Hantuchova who arrived and we went to her and she signed on a picture. At this moment, I really hoped that Kim would come to train so I would meet her. And then just like a miracle, she arrived with her mother Els, her physio and her coach. I didn't know what to say or what to do, because I was so shocked to have the great Kim Clijsters in front of me !!!

Then she began to do stretching and so and we were waiting (my friend and I) for her to finish and so we could ask her an autograph. We were the only fans who where there at this moment. Afer the stretching, she was looking for someting in her bag, and fortunately for us her mother told her that we were here waiting for autographs, because otherwise she maybe wouldn't have see us and would have gone to train on the court.

So she came and signed a picture that I had of her, it was a really great moment for me !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My friend took a lot of pictures of Kim when she was training and after the match, and as soon as I can, I'll scan them for you to see them !!!!

Later when she played her match, I saw Lleyton in the boxes, with Jason his coach and a friend. With my friend we had brought a belgian flag, and everytime that Kim was doing a point we were moving the flag, and I think she saw it, because at the end of her match when she won, she threw a ball in our direction, but a women kept it. And after that she threw 4 other signed balls and one came to use, but my friend hasn't been able to catch it and unfortunately an old man kept it. I was a little bit sad, because she really shot these two balls in our direction because of the belgian flag and we haven't been able to catch them... ;-(

But yesterday, I spent one of the greatest days of my life, because to meet Kim was one of my dreams and I think it would never realize. Yes it did, and it was wonderful !!!!!!!!!!!!!

GO KIMMIE, I'LL STILL BE BEHIND YOU AND SUPPORT YOU, YOU'RE THE BEST PLAYER I'VE EVER SEEN !!!! THANK YOU TO BE SO GREAT WITH YOUR FANS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Great story!! I'm jealous...:(
No just kidding, but this night I was dreaming that I met Kim and must admit: It was fantastic, she was so nice and stuff. It's also one of my most beautiful dreams to meet Kim!!
Kim, you're such a nice girl!!

lleytnkim
Oct 16th, 2002, 05:45 PM
Another article about Kimmy's win over Bedanova from yahoo australia site.

Hantuchova struggles in opening match

ZURICH (AFP) - Daniela Hantuchova struggled on her way to a 7-6 (7/5), 6-1 victory over qualifier Janette Husarova in the first round of the 1.2-million-dollar Zurich WTA event here.

Recent Filderstadt champion Kim Clijsters also had to wait until the second set before taking charge against Daja Bedanova, but the sixth seeded Belgian won 7-5, 6-2.

There was also victory for Russian eighth seed Anastasia Myskina, who found the going difficult against American wild card Lisa Raymond before winning 6-4, 4-6, 6-2.

Seventh-seeded Hantuchova, who lost to Clijsters in the final of the Filderstadt event on Sunday, failed to find any rhythm in the early stages of her all-Slovak battle.

Husarova held a point for a 5-1 lead before Hantuchova finally began to settle, levelling at 4-4 and holding four set points at 6-5 before clinching the 59-minute set in the tiebreak on her fifth set point.

In the second set, Hantuchova broke in the first game, dropped her serve in the second, but then overwhelmed an increasingly discouraged opponent. Husarova failed to hold serve at all in the second set, and finished the 24-minute set with a double-fault.

"At the beginning it was difficult because I only had half an hour to hit on the court, and that was it," said Hantuchova. "It was really tough to get used to the bounce because it was very different to last week.

"Im really glad I was able to come back in the first set. That was very important, and I dominated her in the second."

Clijsters was too powerful for Bedanova in a patchy contest. Both players rallied fiercely from the baseline, and in one exchange Bedanova mis-hit a ball that struck Clijsters boyfriend, Lleyton Hewitt, who was watching at the side of the court. Poor Lley! Virus, cold and now this! :o :p Pffff Bedanova :rolleyes: :p

Although she broke in the first game, Clijsters dropped her serve to love to allow Bedanova to level at 3-3. Another break for 6-5 left her serving for the set, and she took the second by holding off four break points at 1-2 and winning the final five games.

Myskina also had problems before eventually emerging a comfortable winner. A double-fault from Raymond gave Myskina a break for 2-1 which decided the first set.

In the second, Raymond played a more aggressive game and broke for 6-4 but then failed to maintain the pressure and fell behind 4-0 in the third.

In other matches, American qualifier Alexandra Stevenson overpowered Ai Sugiyama of Japan 6-3, 6-4 and Switzerlands Patty Schnyder eased to a 6-3, 6-2 win over Czech Denisa Chladkova.

lleytnkim
Oct 16th, 2002, 05:50 PM
That's great Lleykimmy1!!! You got to meet Kimmy! YAY! :) :bounce:

Peridotpixie
Oct 16th, 2002, 06:00 PM
Hey, Lleykimmy, did you see Lleyton get hit by the ball? What were Daja and Kim's reactions? Did they find it amusing?
(Lleyton probably didn't find it all that amusing.) ;)

Lleykimmy1
Oct 16th, 2002, 06:48 PM
What I saw from where I was, he simply gave the ball back on the court, but unfortunately I haven't seen Kim's reaction or Bedanova's reaction.

What was also funny was that before Kim's match it was a game and a lot of persons in the public got old tennis balls with numbers on them and we had to put them in a object with a hole on the court. And when the people behind Lleyton threw their balls, he had to protect his head, because some of them weren't able to throw the ball until the court. It was very funny, because after, it was a lot of balls in the box where Lleyton was with his coach and a friend and they also took the balls and tried to put them in the hole. They were laughing a lot and it was funny !!!!!!

lleytnkim
Oct 16th, 2002, 07:28 PM
Thanks Lleykimmy1 for that extra info. Ahhhh Bless Lleyton! :angel: Seems to me he's always happy when he's with Kimmy and vice versa. :hearts:
Dang, I'd do anything to see him laugh and have fun. :)

Anyone find any pics of the Lleyki kiss at Filderstadt? Damn those photographers. What the heck were they doing? :rolleyes: :rolleyes: Not a single pic of that kiss! :eek: :(

Kim_for_number_1
Oct 16th, 2002, 09:10 PM
I think it's now 11.14 pm in zurich and kim 's still playing doubles, and she has singles tomorrow!!!!!! :( this can't be good:sad:

angele87
Oct 16th, 2002, 09:12 PM
Lleykimmy1 thanks for that bit about Lleyton :D And Congrats on getting to meet Kimmie... you're very lucky :D

angele87
Oct 16th, 2002, 09:14 PM
Originally posted by Kim_for_number_1
I think it's now 11.14 pm in zurich and kim 's still playing doubles, and she has singles tomorrow!!!!!! :( this can't be good:sad:

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Lleykimmy1
Oct 16th, 2002, 09:58 PM
Kim and Daniela won their double match 1-6 7-6 6-3 !!

Hopefully she'll go to bed quickly to be fit for her single tomorrow.

GO KIMMIE, YOU CAN DO IT !!!!!!!!!!!!

Peridotpixie
Oct 16th, 2002, 10:04 PM
Tough match, but their opponents are ranked quite high. Anyway, she plays tomorrow in the late afternoon--the schedule says not before 2:50 for the match before hers, so she'll have at least until 4 or so. Hopefully that'll be enough rest.

Hawk
Oct 17th, 2002, 12:10 AM
LMAO at Bedanova's mis-hit hitting Lleyton :o Can't get too much worst for him. Looks like Daja was making it personal ;)

Pinkie
Oct 17th, 2002, 12:28 AM
For those in the States and lucky enough to have Oxygen on their cable: Oxygen is broadcasting the Zuricj tournament this Saturday at 10 am. Enjoy!

I hope for you guys Kim will get far enough to be featured in the show.

Peridotpixie
Oct 17th, 2002, 03:25 AM
I get Oxygen, but I don't see Zurich on the schedule for Saturday...

Lleykimmy1
Oct 17th, 2002, 08:42 AM
Do one of you know if Kim has already played one or more times against Coetzer ? Did she win the last time ?

GO KIMMIE WE ALL KNOW THAT YOU CAN DO IT !!!!!!!!!!

spiritfullfrog
Oct 17th, 2002, 09:03 AM
jennifer capriati's out!!!

more chance of kimmy winning!!!!!

Top-seeded Jennifer Capriati was eliminated by Conchita Martinez 6-0, 6-3 Wednesday in the second round of the Swisscom Challenge. Capriati had her left ankle taped early in the second set of the 77-minute match after an awkward landing.

you can win the tournament kim!!!

spiritfullfrog
Oct 17th, 2002, 09:15 AM
hey people was there NO pics of kim's first round match??
cause i can't find any on this forum (i think) and the othe sports sites don't have any....

if this is true then it is DISGRACEFUL!!! :( :( :(

KaseyL
Oct 17th, 2002, 10:26 AM
Originally posted by spiritfullfrog
hey people was there NO pics of kim's first round match??
cause i can't find any on this forum (i think) and the othe sports sites don't have any....

if this is true then it is DISGRACEFUL!!! :( :( :(

I agree! I found like 10 pics of Capriati so far, but 0 of Kim playing. :fiery:

I've just posted one pic of Kim in the players' restaurant, btw. (see new pics thread)

KaseyL
Oct 17th, 2002, 10:33 AM
Lleykimmy1: so happy for you! She is great, isn't she!

and thanks for your report :kiss:

KaseyL
Oct 17th, 2002, 10:42 AM
Some trivia from the tournament:

Kim and Lleyton didn't go to the players' party yesterday night. They went out eating somewhere else, according to a Swiss newspaper.

KaseyL
Oct 17th, 2002, 11:04 AM
26 kids had the opportunity to meet Kim and ask her questions. The kids were selected through a Swiss radio program from DRS1.

Kim greeted each one individually btw. :)

Some of what was said during the meeting with the kids who were at the Kids' meeting with Kim on Monday at 3 PM:

(own translation, source: Swiss press)

A boy: "How long do you want to live?"
Kim: "Oh I haven't been thinking about that. As long as possible, of course. How old would you like to get, then?", Kim asks the boy.

Then she talked about:
- how hard the combination school/tennis has been,
- how much she wants to beat Serena Williams one day, :)
- that she prefers to play against top ten players, "that's always special, and also interesting for the fans,"
- that health is the most valuable above anything,
- that she would like to work with animals in the future,
- how she enjoys coming home, being back with her dogs then,
- that she is anxious when flying
- that she started playing tennis as a young kid of 6
- retelling the story that her dad had said back then that when he would win the Golden Shoe as Best Football Player of the Year in Belgium, he'd build a tennis court at home. He did win in 1986, so he actually built the court in the garden.

For the Swiss: this interview is aired again on Sunday, radio DRS1, program 'Looping', 6-8 PM.

KaseyL
Oct 17th, 2002, 11:41 AM
This hasn't been posted yet, is still about her first match

text by Bob Larson:

Women's Match of the Day
Zurich - First Round
Kim Clijsters (6) def. Daja Bedanova 7-5 6-2

After winning Filderstadt, Kim Clijsters said she just wanted to rest and have some time off.

The organizers at Zurich gave her -- one day.

There really wasn't much they could do. All matches at Zurich are played on the stadium court. That's why the main draw started on Sunday, and it's why the first round had to finish on Tuesday. And Clijsters didn't get a first round bye. She certainly should have, based on her indoor results and her current ranking -- but it doesn't work that way. Clijsters had to play Tuesday. As it was, she played the final first round match of the tournament.

And, despite the exhaustion and the after-effects of her illness (is it coincidence that Lleyton Hewitt is out of Madrid with a bug?), she did well. Of course, Bedanova helped. Bedanova is as streaky as they come, and she's having a bad streak right now. A very long bad streak. And so Clijsters earns her sixth straight win.

And with it, she pretty well cements the #5 ranking -- at least until Luxembourg comes off next week. Clijsters was probably safe to begin with -- only Justine Henin had a real shot at her, and only by reaching the final. Now, Henin probably has to win Zurich, and she's never won an indoor event yet.

KaseyL
Oct 17th, 2002, 11:49 AM
Haven't seen this posted here either:

******************** have put Kim at number 1 this week: :bounce:

Clijsters peaks late but climbs to the top

October 14, 2002

By Matthew Cronin

1. Kim Clijsters: Who would have thought that it would take Kimmy until October before she peaked in 2002? Wins over Davenport, Mauresmo and tough three-set final round victory over Dani Girl in Filderstadt a sign that the Belgian is finally healthy again. Now, can she play up to her potential at the WTA Championships?

Pinkie
Oct 17th, 2002, 12:12 PM
Originally posted by Peridotpixie
I get Oxygen, but I don't see Zurich on the schedule for Saturday...

Jilli:wavey:

It's at 10 am on Oxygen. Check under Sports.
http://www.oxygen.com/sports/

Katja
Oct 17th, 2002, 02:20 PM
hi guys, I'm new here.
I just read on the Eurosport-site that Mauresmo withdrew from the tournament. That's good news for Kim :lick:

Peridotpixie
Oct 17th, 2002, 02:39 PM
Ok, cool. Thanks, Tinne!
Dani has lost the first set to Dementieva and is in a second set tiebreak. I have a bad feeling that it's a preview of what is to come for Kim...poor thing is probably completely exhausted. But I hope she'll get past Amanda, and I believe she can.

Primula
Oct 17th, 2002, 04:44 PM
She won 6-1 in the first against Coetzer !! Way to go Kimmie !!
:bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

KaseyL
Oct 17th, 2002, 05:24 PM
6-1, 6-1!!!

Kim's on fire! :bounce:

Cilla
Oct 17th, 2002, 05:24 PM
Kim def Mandy Coetxer 6-1, 6-1 :D Someone's in a hurrry! ;)

Well Done Kim-Linds awaits!

Kim_for_number_1
Oct 17th, 2002, 05:50 PM
ranking updates? is kim close to amelie now? or does she need another win over lindsay?

Lleykimmy1
Oct 17th, 2002, 05:50 PM
Well done Kim !!!!!!!!

Thank you KaseyL for the information about this radio thing on DRS1, I'll be able to listen to it, so thank you very much !!!!

nolwenn
Oct 17th, 2002, 06:04 PM

WELL DONE KIM:D

Bigkimfan
Oct 17th, 2002, 06:13 PM
Yeh!!!!!! Well done Kim!!! Now beat Lindsay!!!!!

C'mon Kim!!!:bounce: :bounce:

Peridotpixie
Oct 17th, 2002, 06:14 PM
Originally posted by Kim_for_number_1
ranking updates? is kim close to amelie now? or does she need another win over lindsay?

Well, let's see. According to the "Kim's Ranking" thread, Kim was at 3048. She gets, I think, 31 points for the quarterfinal. Amanda is ranked 20, so she gets 23 bonus points. That puts her at 3102. Mauresmo is at 3121. So she's essentially about 20 points behind Mauresmo--and, yes, if she beats Lindsay, she will move into the number 4 rank with 3200. I think.

kit
Oct 17th, 2002, 06:50 PM
Good luck against Davenport!!!
:) Come on!!!:)

KaseyL
Oct 17th, 2002, 08:23 PM
Hantuchova battles through, Clijsters cruises

By Timothy Collings, October 17, 2002

ZURICH (Reuters) - Teenager Daniela Hantuchova has come through one of the toughest tests of her career when she clawed her way back to a 3-6 7-6 7-6 victory over Elena Dementieva for a place in the Swisscom Challenge quarter-finals.

The Slovakian seventh seed survived four match points on her way to the spectacular win over her luckless Russian opponent in a contest lasting two hours and 53 minutes on the indoor carpet at the Schluefweg Arena.

She was joined in the last eight on Thursday by another 19-year-old, sixth-seeded Belgian Kim Clijsters, who out-powered plucky Amanda Coetzer of South Africa 6-1 6-1 in 73 minutes.

Clijsters, playing with a potent mixture of aggression, energy and pace, made light of Coetzer's challenge.

The Belgian, 12 years younger than Coetzer, used her extra youth, height and strength to take early control and sweep her opponent aside showing the clear gulf in their rankings of fifth and 20th in the world.

Clijsters will now meet second seed Lindsay Davenport, the tournament favourite since Jennifer Capriati's early elimination.

The American can expect a tough test from Clijsters in this kind of confident and decisive form and will need to be close to her best if she is to retain her crown as the Zurich indoors champion.

KaseyL
Oct 17th, 2002, 08:50 PM
from the tournament's website:

CLIJSTERS TAKES 73 MINUTES FOR CLEAR VICTORY

The scoreline is unfair on Amanda Coetzer, but it's given the Swisscom Challenge a wonderful quarter-final. Kim Clijsters beat the diminutive South African 6-1 6-1, though it took an hour and 13 minutes, which testifies to how closely fought each point was.

But Clijsters is not just the higher-ranked player, she's really on a roll after winning the title in Filderstadt last week, and cheered on by her boyfriend Lleyton Hewitt who's in Zurich with her, she always seemed to have an answer to everything Coetzer threw at her.

On this form Clijsters presents the biggest threat to Lindsay Davenport's title, and Davenport will have to be at her best when she faces Clijsters in Friday's quarter-finals.

Bigkimfan
Oct 17th, 2002, 09:12 PM
Come on Kim!!! You can do it!!!!! We believe in you!!!!!!

Come on Kim!!!:bounce: :bounce:

Lleykimmy1
Oct 17th, 2002, 09:53 PM
Good luck against Lindsay Kimmie, we all know that you can beat her !!!

GO KIMMIE !!!!!!!!!!!!

Hawk
Oct 17th, 2002, 10:06 PM
Does anyone know how many break chances Amanda had? I heard it was alot.

katie124
Oct 17th, 2002, 10:16 PM
Go kIMMIE !

Peridotpixie
Oct 17th, 2002, 10:16 PM
Oh, gosh. I don't know the actual number, but it was a ton. I'd say at least 20, probably more. Almost every single game went to deuce, and the ad. went back and forth several times in each game. The only difference was that Kim won games off her ad. points and Amanda, for the most part, didn't.

billybizar
Oct 18th, 2002, 05:19 AM
Well, this shows how determined Kim is lately.

Katja
Oct 18th, 2002, 06:44 AM
Hello to you all, my name is Katja and I'm new in here. I'm a big Kim-fan (and tennis-fan in general) so I hope to be worthy of this site :D
Does anyone know at what time Kim has to play against Davenport?

*annamaria*
Oct 18th, 2002, 07:09 AM
:wavey: Hi katja! Welcome in here! You'll soon find out that it is worth coming in! :bounce:
Since I am here, Kim plays so well....lol

Congrats Kimmy for winning! :bounce:

Good luck playing Lindsay! :kiss:
Did anyone see the match of Kim and Lindsay last week?

Come on, Kim

:bounce:

Primula
Oct 18th, 2002, 08:20 AM
Come'on Kimmie, we know you can beat Lindsay !!
Good Luck !!!! :bounce: :bounce:

And it's so sweet that Leyton is always there for her when she needs him the most !! :kiss: :kiss:

Lleykimmy1
Oct 18th, 2002, 08:50 AM
Yeah I saw the match from Kim against Lindsay last week in Filderstadt, it was a really good match !! Hopefully she'll do as well as she did last week against her !!

There is a match that begins at 2:50 PM and Kim is the match after this one, so I don't know which thime it will be !!

GO KIM, WE ALL KNOW THAT YOU CAN BEAT LINDSAY !!!!!

Sarah
Oct 18th, 2002, 01:23 PM
Our Kim has got the power!!!:bounce:
MAY THE FORCE BE WITH HER!!;)
Beat her, Kim....

KaseyL
Oct 18th, 2002, 02:31 PM
I hope Kim will win today, not just for the win itself, but this win would bring her number 4!

Go Kim!:bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

Primula
Oct 18th, 2002, 03:45 PM
Oh no, she has lost the first set (6-3) !! But I still believe she has a good chance to beat Lindsay !! Come'on Kimmie, we know you ca do it !! :bounce:

kit
Oct 18th, 2002, 03:57 PM
:bounce: COME ON KIMMIE,PLEASE!!!:bounce:
You are a big fighter!!Kim,you can do it!!

Primula
Oct 18th, 2002, 04:29 PM
Our Kimmie lost against Davenport !! But she fought very hard for it!!
But maybe it isn't that bad that she out of the tournament, she can take more rest now !!

She will take that number 4 spot another time, and it won't take very long I guess !!
She's playing really good at the moment !!
We're very proud of you Kimmie !!:kiss:

kit
Oct 18th, 2002, 04:36 PM
Ohhhh no!!Poor Kim!!:sad: :sad: :sad:
Yes,we're very proud of her.:p
What's her next tournament??

Lleykimmy1
Oct 18th, 2002, 04:37 PM
I'm a little bit more sad as when she looses normally because I really wanted her to win here in Switzerland (I'm Swiss (!)).

But she will now have a rest and that can be only good for our Kimmie !! Hopefully she'll keep this level of tennis because she really played a fantastic level those past two weeks !!

GO KIMMIE, WE WILL STILL BELIEVE IN YOU, YOU'RE THE BEST FOR ALL OF US !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And as Primula said, we're very proud of you Kim !!!

Bigkimfan
Oct 18th, 2002, 04:46 PM
I didn't even expect her to reach the quarterfinals!!!! Well done Kim, now you have some days off... Good luck at the Seat Open!!! I really really really hope you can defend your title!!!!!!!

:bounce: :bounce: Come on Kim!!!!:bounce: :bounce:

Brαm
Oct 18th, 2002, 04:53 PM
I'm not that sad that she's out. I'm glad that she has some time off now to rest a bit and be ready for Luxembourg :D
I want her to win it for the 3rd time :) Especially now that it's a $225k instead of a $170k!!

Good luck Kim :bounce:

Btw, is she still in the doubles draw? :confused:

Lleykimmy1
Oct 18th, 2002, 05:22 PM
Yes she still plays the doubles. She will play this evening with Daniela.

Peridotpixie
Oct 18th, 2002, 07:06 PM
Originally posted by bram_born84
I'm not that sad that she's out. I'm glad that she has some time off now to rest a bit and be ready for Luxembourg :D
I want her to win it for the 3rd time :) Especially now that it's a $225k instead of a $170k!!

Was it less money last year? Does that mean she might actually be able to defend all her points by winning it?

Stefke
Oct 18th, 2002, 07:13 PM
Oooooooooh Kimmy :sad: :sad:!!!
But you played amazing in this tournament, I'm very proud of you!!!!:angel:

Verve
Oct 18th, 2002, 07:29 PM
If Kim wins Luxemburg she will still have difficulties defending all her points.

Last year she earned 231 points.

IF she wins it this year, she'll get 145 round points. That means she'll need 86 bonus points if she wants to get the same number of points, and she probably won't get to that, because she won't meet all the top-30 players who have entered. But anyways, she'll get around 200 points IF she wins, which is good enough I guess.

Elleke
Oct 18th, 2002, 08:12 PM
:sad: Kim but I'm so glad you play so well lately :)!! anywayz.. still good luck in doubles and try to defend your title next week, go for it!!!!!!!!!! :bounce:

Peridotpixie
Oct 18th, 2002, 08:42 PM
It seems to me that Kim ought to be okay next week--assuming she wins. Kim's been playing very well lately, so she has, imo, an excellent chance of defending. The highest ranked player she could meet before the finals is Coetzer, and she beat her this week despite being tired. So, if she wins...
Henin could overtake her if she does well this week and next week, or even just next week--but she'd need around 200 points.
Dokic (Or, as we LleytonLoungers like to call her, RT) can only gain points if she wins Linz, and she won't. Besides, it still probably wouldn't be enough.
Lindsay isn't going anywhere for awhile. Even if she defends this week, she still has to defend next week, and she probably won't be gaining anything.
Monica and Amelie aren't playing next week, so they'll stay put.
Dani is playing well, but she's still well below Kim. She really only has a shot if she wins, I think.
So, if Kim defends, the worst she can do is 7, and it'll probably be 6.
Feel free to disagree with me and my math. :)
Anyway, the important thing is that Kim ought to finish top ten this year, and according to her swisscom interview, that's her goal. It also seems like she's not even sure she's number 5 at the moment!

josefien
Oct 18th, 2002, 09:16 PM
Can someone please tell me what Kim had to say in her interview on swiss-com?
I'm having trouble opening it.
Like I read, it seemed that she was dissapointed.
Thanks.

Peridotpixie
Oct 18th, 2002, 09:45 PM
Kim said that she was over her cold (I think), and that it didn't affect her as much this week. She talked a bit about the decline of tennis in Europe (specifically about losing the tournies in Hamburg and Munich). She said that she thought tennis was still quite popular, specifically citing England, France, and Belgium. She added that it made sense that Americans were more into tennis because we have Serena, Venus, Lindsay, Jennifer, and Monica. She said she was happy to have won Hamburg her last time playing it, and that it's sad for the European players not to have the championships in Europe, but that LA ought to be a great tournament.
Then she was asked something about grand slams--I think when she'd like to win one and which one. She basically said that it's every player's dream to win a slam, and that she'd take whichever whenever. She laughed a lot while answering. She mentioned that most people think her favorite surface is clay, because of her run at RG, but that she actually doesn't like clay all that much. Then she paused and said again that she'd be glad to win any slam, and that she's young so she has a few more years to try.

Lleykimmy1
Oct 18th, 2002, 11:14 PM
It's 1:12 in the morning and Kim and Daniela won their double match 5-7 6-3 6-4 !!

Tomorrow they will play against Henin and Bovina the semi-final !!

GO KIMMIE AND DANI !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ßcoene
Oct 18th, 2002, 11:43 PM
Congrats Kimmie and Daniela for your doubles victory. :)
I don't know for who to cheer tomorrow.

Oct 19th, 2002, 01:46 AM
I'm disappointed that Kim lost, but she has been playibg well and it's better that she gets a few days off now so she doesn't burn out before the championships

josefien
Oct 19th, 2002, 07:45 AM
Thanks alot peridotpixie!!!!
:wavey:

Come-on-kim
Oct 19th, 2002, 09:27 AM
CONGRATS KIM AND DANIELA

DutchieGirl
Oct 19th, 2002, 10:19 AM
Originally posted by billybizar
Sorry, you probably didn't see the pic where Amelie and Kim fell into eachother's arms just after the match? Some guys on the board made some sexual connotations about it. It was just a reference.

:rolleyes: there always has to be some people to do that!

Lleykimmy1
Oct 19th, 2002, 10:21 PM
Kim and Daniela lost their double match 2-6 1-6 against Henin and Bovina.

GOOD LUCK KIMMIE FOR THE SEAT OPEN !!!!!

KaseyL
Oct 20th, 2002, 03:47 PM
Thanks for the extra info, Jilli! :kiss:

KaseyL
Oct 20th, 2002, 03:48 PM
High goober alert! :) :angel:

:hearts: :hearts: :hearts:

This comes from Switzerland, article from Zürich.

I made a quick translation:

Saturday, October 19, 2002

Love is, when he…

also takes a step back in his career and supports her. Since two full years Lleyton (21) and Kim (19) are the most successful pair in the tennis circus. She is world number 5 and he is on the throne of the ATP ranking.

The Belgian and the Australian are reserved about their love in public, but behind the scenes they are looking each other deep in the eyes. The heaven is full of violins for both these lovebirds.

Instead of playing in Madrid for prize money and ranking points, the busy Wimbledon winner accompanied his Kim to Zürich and didn’t let any opportunity pass to support her. Even with Kim’s double matches he didn’t fail to be in the Players’ box.

Hewitt, lightly weakened by the flu, didn’t allow any press interviews in Zűrich. Yesterday however, in a message by sattelite, he did express his feelings regarding the Australians killed by the tragic attack on Bali.

KaseyL
Oct 20th, 2002, 04:09 PM
and another article:

Friday October 18, 11:44 PM

Defeated Clijsters finds it tough at the top

By Timothy Collings

ZURICH (Reuters) - It is tough climbing to the top in women's professional tennis, but it is much more difficult to stay there.

Kim Clijsters, the Belgian teenager who made her breakthrough into the elite top ten last year, admitted as much on Friday after being beaten in two sets by Lindsay Davenport in the quarter-finals of the Swisscom Challenge.

Davenport, the former Australian, Wimbledon and U.S. Open champion and former world number one, proved that she is doing well on her personal comeback trail after injury with a dominant and assured performance.

"I still feel strange now, being ranked only down at number 10," said Davenport. "But I guess I will get used to it in the end. Best of all, I'd like to win a few tournaments and climb right back. I still feel like I am really the number one."

Such confidence as that oozing from the 26-year-old Californian was in stark contrast to the dazed feelings that were articulated by Clijsters, who has endured an up and down year after hitting the heights last season.

Her close friendship with Australian men's number one Lleyton Hewitt may have been a distraction, some have said, but she preferred to point at the struggle it is to stay at the top.

"I wasn't feeling 100 percent really here," she said. "I had a cold and felt sick last week (when she won the Porsche tournament at Filderstadt) and I was a bit tired today. I've played too much tennis. I've had too many matches.

"It is tough to stay on top in this sport. I know everyone says it is tough to climb through to the top, but it is difficult in the second year. But I am still doing okay and it is a matter of experience now.

"I started the year okay, but then had a down period. Now I feel I am coming back up again. It is not easy to stay in the top ten, but I am still there so that's not so bad."

As Clijsters and a large group of players on the tour strive to reach the world's top level, Davenport is merely waiting to recapture her throne.

"I feel like I have just left it for a while, but I know, too, that I have to win, to get the results, if I am going to get right back to the top," she said. "That's the only way."

KaseyL
Oct 20th, 2002, 04:13 PM
another article:

Friday October 18, 07:05 PM

Defending champion Davenport overcomes Clijsters

By Timothy Collings

ZURICH (Reuters) - Lindsay Davenport has overcome Belgium's Kim Clijsters to keep alive her hopes of a successful defence of her title at the Swisscom Challenge.

The 26-year-old former world number one clinched her place in the semi-finals with a 6-3 7-6 victory as her teenage opponent failed to lift her game consistently.

"It was a good win for me," said the American. "I am very happy to get through that game because I felt a lot better and my service game was good and that was very important for me on the big points."

Davenport's win was the second of the afternoon by a more experienced player over a member of the young generation.

DRAMATIC TIEBREAK

Davenport broke Clijsters in the fifth game of the opening set and clinched it in the ninth when she seized the first of three set points at 15-40.

She broke again in the fourth game of the second set to take control and although Clijsters broke back with a fine cross court passing shot, the 19-year-old Belgian was never able to gain the initiative.

In the 11th game, Clijsters took Davenport to deuce and had an opportunity, with advantage, to take the set, but the American's reliable serve enabled her to survive and, after Clijsters served to love, win the tiebreak 7-5.

This was a dramatic affair as the Belgian almost recovered from double-faulting to slump to 1-6 down by rescuing herself on four successive match points with some dazzling strokes before she netted a service return and conceded defeat.

"I don't think I was quite at my best," said Davenport, who continued to improve her form after surgery earlier this year enforced a lengthy absence. "But I don't think she played her best either.

"The court helped me because it is not as fast as it used to be and I was able to hang in there when she was hitting the ball around. I know I am not the number one again, not yet, but I still feel as if I am - I suppose it will sink in one day that I am not.

"I was at the top so long that it feels strange now. For me, the most important thing is to win a tournament this year."

Her improved form in this contest, as she bids to repeat her 2001 triumph and add to her title wins in 1997 and 1998, suggested that success will not be a long time coming.

Elke
Oct 20th, 2002, 04:54 PM
Thanks really much for the great articles!:)
and what a lovely Lleyki article.:hearts: