PDA

View Full Version : I was dissapointed in the 2002 Kremlin Cup!

the cat
Oct 7th, 2002, 03:34 AM
I was dissapointed in the 2002 Kremlin Cup. Both the the Russian women's and men's play was dissapointing. Especially after the last 2 years, when Anna Kournikova and Elena Dementieva were finalists. And Marat Safin and Yevgeny Kafelnikov blew a great opportunity to play in an all Russian men's final in Moscow.

I was hoping for good things for the Russians at this years Kremlin Cup. But I ended up being greatly dissapointed! :(

CellJr300
Oct 8th, 2002, 06:22 PM
I was very dissappointed in the play of 2 of my faves (Hingis, Dokic) and very upset with AnnaK getting injured again.

I was more dissappointed in the lack of fans that I saw in the highlights. Every night when the Fox Sports World Report showed the highlights it looked and sounded like there were no more than 50-100 people in the stands. It didn't matter who was playing either, there was nobody there for Hingis, Davenport, Venus, or Dokic. There was a little more support for the Russian players, but not that much more, from what I saw there weren't that many people in the stands even when Myskina, Bovina and Dementieva played. I don't know about Kournikova because I didn't see any of her highlights.

the cat
Oct 9th, 2002, 12:28 AM
Cell, because the attendance is usually poor at the Kremlin Cup, Moscow might eventually lose the Kremlin Cup tournament. And that would be a shame!

And the performance of the Russian tennis players at this years Kremlin Cup was a big dissapointment! :(

CB
Oct 9th, 2002, 12:55 AM
The Kremlin Cup was IMO not that much bad..

Besides Nastya R1 upset :sad: :sad: , which I still can't stand those stupid losses she still has, Bovina and Dinara played great and it was quite good for them.

Also highlights for Nadia, she def Hingis in great style.

I hope the crowd attendance improves though.. that's quite serious for a Tier I

TheBoiledEgg
Oct 9th, 2002, 02:55 AM
still the attendance is better than you get for a day session at Arthur Ashe at the US Open ;)

no one comes at 11am

you're not gonna fill a 20000 arena
even the finals at the US Open wasn't full

the cat
Oct 9th, 2002, 11:45 AM
Shame on Eggy! :mad: He's taking cheap shots at America's grand slam! :eek: ;)

fresh2flash
Oct 9th, 2002, 04:33 PM
The stadium was almost full during the final and that despite the fact that no Russians were playing there ;)

CellJr300
Oct 9th, 2002, 05:05 PM
Still, it didn't look good at all when I saw the highlights on the news. When they panned the camera to show the whole crowd during Venus' match there were maybe 25-50 people in the stands. From a noise factor it was bad too, I know people are generally quiet at tennis matches, but because of the lack of people in the stands you could hear a pin drop throughout the whole match.

I'm not bashing anybody, but it just doesn't look good for women's tennis when the newscaster finished her segment on the Kremlin Cup by saying something like "and now from women's tennis where nobody cares, to men's tennis where as usual the stadium is packed." That just doesn't send a good message about women's tennis.

TheBoiledEgg
Oct 9th, 2002, 05:56 PM
When Venus played it was 11am

and its the same when anyone plays at 11am anywhere including the USOpen/French Open main courts

fresh2flash
Oct 9th, 2002, 06:22 PM
Cell, i`ll tell you your mistake ;) The camera stands the opposite to the VIP sector. It`s alwais empty during the early matches.

CellJr300
Oct 9th, 2002, 06:39 PM
It was not just during Venus' match though, every highlight they showed, and they showed at least about 15 matches, the stands were always empty, there were a little more people for the 2 matches that I saw on ESPN, but not that many more.

Nina_rus
Oct 9th, 2002, 06:56 PM
fresh is right :) ;)

there really were a quite large amount of people, not at 11 o'clock but after 14.00-15.00 there were enough (that's when I came too)

the cat
Oct 14th, 2002, 11:34 AM
There is no doubt about that, Knopfler6. Russians prefer men's tennis over women's tennis.

mboyle
Oct 14th, 2002, 07:39 PM
The sexist pigs!:mad: They are going to totally dominate women's tennis in a few years, and the public probably won't even care!:sad: What a shame.

TheBoiledEgg
Oct 14th, 2002, 08:10 PM
its not mens tennis generally its just Kafelnikov ;)

next year if he doesn't play will see a marked decrease in attendance (i'm sure) but it might not come to that

the girls will take over pretty soon, the more winners we have the better profile they get and more popularity ;)

don't worry about it ;)