PDA

View Full Version : Kudos to Maggie

Robbie.
Oct 6th, 2002, 11:24 AM
Well Maggie just won her first tier 1 title by out steading the woman who many regard as the best indoor player in the world, Lindsay Davenport.

What a win :eek: What a week :eek:

Maggie reached a peek of #4 in 1995 before becoming injured in 1996. She has fought her way back, and although some have recently criticized her in for lacking results, it all came together in this tournament and she proved that indoors, even the best will have a tough time beating her by beating the world #2, defacto world #3 and soon to be world #4 on route to the title.

Maggie also continued the recent upset trend in Tier 1's. Of the 9 tier 1's in a calendar year, eight have been played and neither Jennifer, Venus or lindsay have one.

Who said women's tennis was predictable?

Steff_forever2
Oct 6th, 2002, 11:31 AM
Irre, wow, fantastic !!!

She deserves a spot at the Masters in LA !

~ The Leopard ~
Oct 6th, 2002, 11:31 AM
To be honest though the result might have been predictable if Serena had been playing - unfortunately from my pov.

But yeah kudos for Maggie Maleeva, and what an interesting tournament!

Dawn Marie
Oct 6th, 2002, 11:39 AM
................and people think the tour is missing something as if!:)

Congrats to Maggie the gal had my heart beating fast and not too many players can do that. Go girl!

kazzmazz
Oct 6th, 2002, 12:30 PM
What a great week for Maggie!! :D

Congrats!! :bounce:

AaronJoyB
Oct 6th, 2002, 12:35 PM
well done maggie!

xcrtbckhnd
Oct 6th, 2002, 12:41 PM
Amazing results this week for Maggie- the best tennis week of her career as she herself said earlier!!!! I'm very happy for her!!!!
GO MAGGIE- on to the Championships!!!!

Lapin
Oct 6th, 2002, 01:29 PM
Congratulations Maggie!!
A great week, well done, you deserved to win!! :D

Scotso
Oct 6th, 2002, 03:14 PM
Congratulations, Maggie! :D

gmak
Oct 6th, 2002, 03:17 PM
well done maggie i'm so proud of you :) :) :)
even though it had to be at the expense of lindsay :(

Linnie
Oct 6th, 2002, 03:20 PM
Way to go, Maggie!! :D

YSL
Oct 6th, 2002, 07:00 PM
Nice one Maggie! Very well done! :)

*Bubbles*
Oct 6th, 2002, 07:58 PM
Congrats Maggie! :)

Jeff
Oct 6th, 2002, 09:34 PM
I just watched the final. Maggie played so well. I've never seen her play the way she has this week.

Maggie wins her first Tier 1 event! Congratulations!! :D

grad
Oct 6th, 2002, 11:01 PM
O joy!:D :D :drool: :D

:bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:
Unbelievable game.
Don't tell me Lindsey was tired:rolleyes:
She hit 15 aces. 5 in one game to save 2 break points. It was first class tennis.
Maggie was unseeded.
1st Smashnova, she had very successful year.
2nd Venus lost only 3 times this year to player other than Serena
3rd Dechy upset several top 10 players this year
semi Mauresmo 3-0 record against Maggie
Final Davenport - the best carpet player

WOW

Celebrate Maggie fans !!!!!
:hearts:

WE LOVE YOU MAGGIE !!!!

:bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

graf630
Oct 6th, 2002, 11:27 PM
Great week Maggie!
I knew you had it in you!

grad
Oct 7th, 2002, 12:36 AM
On the women's side, Maleeva captured her ninth career title and her third victory here. She won the Kremlin Cup in 1994 and '95.

Maleeva, the world No. 23, upset top-seeded and No. 2 Venus Williams in the second round, and fifth-seeded and world No. 7 Amelie Mauresmo before beating No. 8 Davenport in what she called the greatest week of her career.

Maleeva's previous record for defeating top 10 players came in 1995 in Berlin, when she defeated No. 3 Mary Pierce and No. 10 Natasha Zvereva.

"I never managed to overcome three top 10 players in one event before," Maleeva said. "I'm happy and it is definitely the best week in my career."

Davenport jumped to an early lead with a break in the opening game, but Maleeva broke back in the 10th game to level 5-5. Love-40 down on her serve
in the next game, the Bulgarian saved three breakpoints only to double-fault on a deuce. Davenport served for the set.

Capitalizing on Davenport's poor return play in the second set, Maleeva broke the American in the sixth game to win the set and stay in the match.

After trading breaks early in the decisive third set, Davenport fired three of her 15 aces in the match to deny Maleeva two breakpoints in the ninth game and force a tiebreaker.

"I did serve well today, but I didn't put enough pressure on her [Maleeva's]second serve," Davenport said.

Maleeva, who said it has always been her dream to defeat Davenport, whom she considers the best player on the tour, prevailed on the tiebreaker and will now move into the top 20 in the WTA rankings next week.

By reaching the finals in Moscow, Davenport will move one position up in the rankings and has secured the No. 15 spot in the season-ending WTA
Championships in Los Angeles on Nov. 6-11.

Davenport injured her right knee last November and underwent surgery in January, keeping her out of most tournaments this year. She resumed playing at
the end of July and reached at least the semifinal in the six tournaments she played in before coming to Moscow.

grad
Oct 7th, 2002, 12:54 AM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/tennis/news/2002/10/06/kremlin_cup_sunday_ap/lg_maleeva_ap.jpg

grad
Oct 7th, 2002, 12:57 AM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/tennis/news/2002/10/06/kremlin_cup_sunday_ap/lg_maleeva_ap.jpg

Greenout
Oct 7th, 2002, 01:20 AM
I'm just thrilled for Maggie. She did win the
Swiss event back in 1994- was it a TIER 2
back then? Anyway- I am so proud of her.
Great week eh? I like Lindsay- but seeing
Maggie do so well- makes me feel all warm
and fuzzy.

King Aaron
Oct 7th, 2002, 07:58 AM
Well done Maggie!! Kudos, she really deserves it!

Dawn Marie
Oct 10th, 2002, 12:58 AM
KUDOS!!:D