PDA

View Full Version : Players With Talents But No Brain

Noctis
Mar 25th, 2010, 10:39 PM
Na.Li

who else let you decide.

goldenlox
Mar 25th, 2010, 10:40 PM
Its a lack of focus, or being nervous. That is most of the tour.

Richie's
Mar 25th, 2010, 10:42 PM
Daniela Hantuchova.

SVK
Mar 25th, 2010, 10:43 PM
^^This

Spartan
Mar 25th, 2010, 10:52 PM
Kuznetsova. Incapable of thinking during a match

danieln1
Mar 25th, 2010, 10:54 PM
Kuznetsova

Li Na

Hantuchova

Mirza

JELENA DOKIC

Elena Dementieva at times... it´s painful to see

flareon
Mar 25th, 2010, 10:55 PM
Kuznetsova. Incapable of thinking during a match

I agree with that, I think sometimes medina garruges can be frustrating to watch and she does not think sometimes... but thats just my opinion

SVK
Mar 25th, 2010, 10:56 PM
Ivanovic?

Or she is not talented?

And Vaidisova of course...a lot of talent but no brain obviously when she wants to be still with Stepanek

Serenita
Mar 25th, 2010, 10:56 PM
Pova

SVK
Mar 25th, 2010, 10:58 PM
Pova and talented?:spit::haha:

BluSthil
Mar 25th, 2010, 10:59 PM
Kuznetsova

Li Na

Hantuchova

Mirza

JELENA DOKIC

Elena Dementieva at times... it´s painful to see
The equalizer in any match, less for the top players, is N E R V E S !!! If a good player can keep the nerves at bay, she/him will prosper, and more times than not, beat a better player...

Rix643
Mar 25th, 2010, 11:01 PM
Its a lack of focus, or being nervous. That is most of the tour.

This is about right, with most being 99.9% I might add.

Tripp
Mar 25th, 2010, 11:02 PM
Among the retired ones, Anne-Gaelle Sidot & María Emilia Salerni. Both so talented, but such headcases :sad:

Serenita
Mar 25th, 2010, 11:05 PM
Forgot to put Petrova in there as well

Petrova and Pova talented but no brains

vixter
Mar 26th, 2010, 12:46 AM
Watch Sharapova-Henin US Open final, then come back and say she has no brains...

jefrilibra
Mar 26th, 2010, 12:51 AM
Petrova!

Zvonereva!

mauresmofan
Mar 26th, 2010, 12:58 AM
Petrova!

Zvonereva!

Don't agree with Zvonereva she lets her emotions get the better of her but she always seems to have a game plan regardless if she executes it or not. It's a work in progess to get her emotions in check but she's improving little by little at that aspect. I would put Kuznetsova as the absolute no.1 with no contenders within an asses roar of her. Hantuchova is another and Petrova is there too as well as Li Na. Kuznetsova is the poster child for brain dead ball bashing - don't get me wrong when she gets it right she can win a grand slam or 2 in a decade but me thinks her skills and talent deserve more than 2 slams.

Optima
Mar 26th, 2010, 01:04 AM
Petrova.

The end.

RenaSlam.
Mar 26th, 2010, 01:04 AM
The WTA Tour?

égalité
Mar 26th, 2010, 01:08 AM
Jelena Dokic :hysteric:

skanky~skanketta
Mar 26th, 2010, 01:28 AM
Kuznetsova without a freakin doubt! She's such a giftted player but for her it's a curse. I've seen her change her mind as to which shot to hit literally seconds before hitting it. And when that happens, it's errors all around. The problem is that she can hit everything and she knows it and always gets confused. However, when she's not thinking, she's amazing to watch. Other than that, she has no proper game plan.

Petrova is another. Good Lord. Such a powerful hitter with great volleys and a killer serve. God knows why she goes off the boil so much.

Uncle Jason
Mar 26th, 2010, 01:31 AM
Govortsova

Justin SW
Mar 26th, 2010, 01:33 AM
Wozniak! Brainless girl :haha: !!! She has no plan B. If it doesnt work she decides to stick to her game plan and lose pathetically :o

nicidle
Mar 26th, 2010, 01:41 AM
lena is intelligent off court.

In The Zone
Mar 26th, 2010, 04:32 AM
Kuznetsova is #1 on this list, easily. Petrova is noteworthy.

ArturoAce.
Mar 26th, 2010, 04:41 AM
Alona definately is capable of so much more. :o

faboozadoo15
Mar 26th, 2010, 05:09 AM
As much as I love her, Elena Dementieva must be one of the most brainless tennis players I've ever seen. Her tennis is so ludicrously monotonous with absolutely zero gameplan. It's pure athleticism and crosscourt hitting. She makes Sharapova look downright imaginitive.

Hantuchova actually tries to set up points beautifully, but there's erroneous execution. She thinks too much, if anything. Her nerves get in her way, not her court smarts.

Dominic
Mar 26th, 2010, 05:15 AM
Jelena Dokic, she should be the mascott of this thread.

brent-o
Mar 26th, 2010, 06:39 AM
Mirza. Mirza. Mirza!

Mashabator
Mar 26th, 2010, 06:41 AM
Dokic :o

Cakeisgood
Mar 26th, 2010, 06:43 AM
Dokic and Kuzzie definitely.

Mrs. Dimitrova
Mar 26th, 2010, 06:44 AM
Forgot to put Petrova in there as well

Petrova and Pova talented but no brains

You must be kidding. :haha:

Midnight_Robber
Mar 26th, 2010, 06:44 AM
But brainless *usually* suggests a lack of thought, or not bothering to think at all, rather than over-thinking. Most people seem to feel that Sveta thinks too much and have also accused Ivanovic of over-thinking on-court as well.

Elena seems intelligent off-court, but doesn't seem to think strategically on-court. Likewise with Mirza.

So Disrespectful
Mar 26th, 2010, 08:22 AM
At this point I'd like to remind everyone that actual intelligence often has nothing to do with how a player structures points on court.

Danii's Law
Mar 26th, 2010, 09:14 AM
Everyone but Henin.

burn
Mar 26th, 2010, 09:58 AM
Anna C. & Timea B. :tears:
Both of them unfortunately!

Endru.
Mar 26th, 2010, 10:10 AM
wozniak & lisicki

Expat
Mar 26th, 2010, 12:23 PM
Petrova
Hantuchova

goldenlox
Mar 26th, 2010, 12:28 PM
Hitting the ball in the doubles alley is not an intelligence issue. An Oxford scholar will not be winning a major this year.
It is more about being tired and not wanting a long point.
Or playing too safe because you dont want to lose the point with an error.

Acinolbaj
Mar 26th, 2010, 12:32 PM
Hantuchova

doktor
Mar 26th, 2010, 01:15 PM
Dokic is Queen of the Brainless Ones...

laurie
Mar 26th, 2010, 01:47 PM
Hitting the ball in the doubles alley is not an intelligence issue. An Oxford scholar will not be winning a major this year.
It is more about being tired and not wanting a long point.
Or playing too safe because you dont want to lose the point with an error.

Goldenlox

I think the real problem is that because such a large percentage of players have been taught to play the same way over such a long period with no variety to their game, we see the result and it appears like players are not thinking out there and just reacting.

I heard a story on Eurosport last year where one of the commentators said they were speaking with Safina's mother in the early 2000s (it might have been Jo Durie) and asked why are her players not hitting volleys during practice, Safina's mother answered that in the womens game there is now no need to learn how to volley.

That mentality has really manifested itself in the way so many women play today and it appears to look like they are not thinking on the court but maybe they just don't know any other way.

I would like to mention two matches I saw recently which left me slightly horrified. The first was the Kuala Lumpur final between Kleybanova and Dementieva, there were so many times when Elena had the opportunity to come in on floating balls and she wouldn't and ended up losing points she should have won, and ultimately the match, I was quite frustrated about that.

The 2nd match was the Indian Wells quarterfinal between Kleybanova and Jankovic. Jankovic tried to get Alisa on the move, smart tactic, but Alisa was hitting the ball all over the place, even when she actually had a lot of time to hit the shots. Not only that, but she never seemed to take a bit a pace off the shots to make sure she got them in until she regained confidence, so she went down meekly in 2 sets when she had a 4-2 lead in the 2nd set.

Those two matches for me is a microcosm of why it can be frustrating to watch women matches sometimes.

frenchie
Mar 26th, 2010, 01:50 PM
Definitely Petrova

She often loses in her head even before stepping on court

thrust
Mar 26th, 2010, 01:52 PM
Watch Sharapova-Henin US Open final, then come back and say she has no brains...

TRUE, sorry to say.

goldenlox
Mar 26th, 2010, 02:00 PM
I dont think Jankovic changed her strategy. I think Alisa got tired. Much more tired than she was against Kim, who was moving Alisa around the whole 3rd set.

Juju Nostalgique
Mar 26th, 2010, 02:02 PM
Clijsters :weirdo:

Sharapower :weirdo:

Le Chat
Mar 26th, 2010, 02:16 PM
Karolina Sprem is the most brainless player i have never seen .. .

Wilson_07
Mar 26th, 2010, 02:20 PM
Karolina Sprem is the most brainless player i have never seen .. .

and who is the most brainless player you actually have seen? :lol: sorry, I had to do that :p

Aaric
Mar 26th, 2010, 02:24 PM
The WTA Tour?

This :lol:

Nikkiri
Mar 26th, 2010, 02:25 PM
Half the WTA.

Le Chat
Mar 26th, 2010, 02:30 PM
Aravane Rezai is also :tape: . Nothing near Karolina Though .. .

fouc
Mar 26th, 2010, 02:32 PM
petrovs and lisicki

AndreConrad
Mar 26th, 2010, 02:48 PM
I don't think "the lack of brain" is easy to assess. On the other hand it is easy to sit on the sidelines and see a player struggle to compete against better disposed player at the time. Sitting on the sidelines and yelling “Why don’t you do just this, you brainless b$&tch?” is easy (whatever THIS may be). The view on the court is entirely different and one may not do things you expect them do just because they can’t due to the opponent’s game, current disposition or whatever. So don’t be so quick assessing how much brain one has. It may just look like that.

Andrew Laeddis
Mar 26th, 2010, 02:50 PM
CIRSTEA

Dexter
Mar 26th, 2010, 03:04 PM
For me Petrova has neither brains nor talent. :tape:

BuTtErFrEnA
Mar 26th, 2010, 03:06 PM

Kuzzy has won 2 slams playing well and you wonder what the hell happens all the other times....doesn't negate her or maria from playing brainless

Optima
Mar 26th, 2010, 03:09 PM

Don't be delusional, dear.

madmax
Mar 26th, 2010, 03:11 PM
Kuzzy has won 2 slams playing well and you wonder what the hell happens all the other times....doesn't negate her or maria from playing brainless

:confused: All I know is that no brainless player can win mutiple slams - just because a player is ballbasher, doesn't mean she is a brainless one.

SoClose
Mar 26th, 2010, 03:17 PM
Sprem,Pavly,Kleybanva,Mirza,Govortsova,Li,Dokic,Pi ronkova,Azarenka and others!

changel
Mar 26th, 2010, 03:30 PM

Sharapova has a great record(80% wins) I think, so tell me how can she be a brainless player, just like madmax said, that's not because Maria hit hard and yell that she is brainless.

Corswandt
Mar 26th, 2010, 03:31 PM
"No Brain" in the sense of lacking tactical skills or in the sense of lacking confidence and/or competitive spirit? Because these two categories don't necessarily overlap.

Ballbasher
Mar 26th, 2010, 03:38 PM

Don't be delusional, dear.
True. But she usually lacks a game plan.

Sveta is the undoubted queen. :( She has such a beautiful, powerful game, but most of the time, she doesn't know how ot work it.

Lindsayfan32
Mar 27th, 2010, 03:23 AM
Serena Williams has tennis talent and no brains. If she has a brain she doesn't use it.

Noctis
Mar 28th, 2010, 11:01 PM
Serena Williams has tennis talent and no brains. If she has a brain she doesn't use it.

:weirdo:

Kirilenko today.

SoClose
Mar 28th, 2010, 11:02 PM

:cuckoo::cuckoo::cuckoo::cuckoo:

markdelaney
Mar 28th, 2010, 11:37 PM
Paszek for sure

Nikkiri
Mar 28th, 2010, 11:37 PM
Maria Kirilenko :worship:

fufuqifuqishahah
Mar 28th, 2010, 11:53 PM
Hantuchova has too much of a brain, as in she is totally distracted by other things like failing and predicting the future in a negative light

jefrilibra
Mar 28th, 2010, 11:55 PM

Now this = Specimen A for HATER!

Plz seek help. Seriously.

matty
Mar 29th, 2010, 12:29 AM
Hantuchova, sometimes Venus, Dokic for sure

Aravanecaravan
Mar 29th, 2010, 03:53 AM
Aravane Rezai is also :tape: . Nothing near Karolina Though .. .

Fuck you. Aravane's interested in astrophysics. What's your degree in? Basket weaving or gum chewing?

MyskinaManiac
Mar 29th, 2010, 10:09 AM
Hantuchova has too much of a brain, as in she is totally distracted by other things like failing and predicting the future in a negative light

I once read somwhere that Martina Hingis believed that Hantuchova was one of the most gifted and smartest tennis players on the tour however wasn't showing it. Hingis was mentoring and being her hitting partner for the period around when Hantuchova won her second IW and owned Hingis.

thegreendestiny
Mar 29th, 2010, 10:59 AM
Maria "I can't beat a sick pusher" Kirilenko

A-Bond
Mar 29th, 2010, 01:38 PM
Definitely Vaidisova :o She was the biggest talent ever with 15-16. Just magnificent Serve and FH, she was clearly a talent. However, after RG 2006, she became a brainless ballbasher. And now she's brainless and does not even play Tennis anymore :o

goldenlox
Mar 29th, 2010, 01:44 PM
I once read somwhere that Martina Hingis believed that Hantuchova was one of the most gifted and smartest tennis players on the tour however wasn't showing it. Hingis was mentoring and being her hitting partner for the period around when Hantuchova won her second IW and owned Hingis.It is possible that being intelligent hurts, they are thinking too much about different possibilities. Like a chess game.
But in sports you just react and go by instinct, to a large degree.

The whole idea of pro sports is to create pressure situations and see how the best perform. But it rarely means the smartest is winning.

thegreendestiny
Mar 29th, 2010, 01:52 PM
Hingis and Hantuchova are two of the most gifted players of their generation. Their intelligence and craftiness are unfortunately not at par with their fragile bodies. There is a limit to what the mind can do to one's performance. If Hingis had Serena's body, she'd be the GOAT by now. I guess you can't have everything. :shrug:

Certinfy
Mar 29th, 2010, 06:28 PM
Lucie and Dani :(

Vulturepova
Mar 29th, 2010, 06:49 PM
Nadia has to be top of the list in this department :o

Awesome serve, all-court game, no real weaknesses except her head :crazy:

Coulda been number one, coulda had multiple slams. Coulda, woulda, shoulda.

Sexysova
Mar 29th, 2010, 07:09 PM
Half the WTA.

only a half? :sobbing: :tape:

laurie
Mar 29th, 2010, 07:19 PM
It is possible that being intelligent hurts, they are thinking too much about different possibilities. Like a chess game.
But in sports you just react and go by instinct, to a large degree.

The whole idea of pro sports is to create pressure situations and see how the best perform. But it rarely means the smartest is winning.

I think it goes hand in hand. The smartest do win, because its not only going on instinct as I accept that, but also players who have the best tactics and strategy and gameplan are going to win more often than not. We really have to question how many players on the WTA tour have a coherent game plan and strategy that they have worked out before a match depending on who they are playing.

I will mention names of players who may not have been the most talented but always had gameplans worked out and was able to win consistently:

Arantxa Sanchez Vicario
Mats Wilander
Pat Rafter
Jim Courier

Then there are famous matches where one player completely out thought another:

1975 Wimbledon final Arthur Ashe defeating Jimmy Connors who was red hot favourite and top seed, Ashe knew Connors liked pace so hit lots of slow slices which completely threw Connors off his rhythm.

1995 US Open final Sampras defeating Agassi when Agassi was top seed and won 26 straight hardcourt matches, Sampras used some of the Ashe tactics of hitting lots of slices to get Agassi off rhythm then used his forehand to do the rest.

2006 Antwerp final Mauresmo defeating Clisjters – again Mauresmo mixed up slice and topspin backhands keeping Clijsters off balance. In fact, Mauresmo did the Sampras tactic of hitting high loopy backhands over the net which got above Clijsters’ shoulder which she doesn’t like, Agassi didn’t like that either even though they have two hands on the backhand side, then keeping it low with slices – just great tactics. Mauresmo did that in quite a few big matches against Clijsters.

2009 Wimbledon semi Roddick defeating Murray – Roddick totally out thought Murray the whole match, Murray was always the one reacting to the situation.

Jelena Jankovic is one of the few players today who I watch and can see she has a game plan and tactical nous to pull it off. If only players like Elena Dementieva could have acquired that discipline. Serena Williams and Justine Henin are two other excellent examples of players who have game plans and skill to pull off game plans.

As for the person who said Serena had no brains, that person needs their brains tested quite frankly.

laurie
Mar 29th, 2010, 09:22 PM
Sam Smith on Europsort has just made an interesting point, Sam always makes interesting observations but this was particularly interesting. Sam and Chris Bradnam were talking about Venus' serve and Sam said that most women players don't enjoy practising the serve and they usually have to be pushed by their coaches to practise the serve at all. Then Sam said that women players don't play practice sets like the men do.

Think about it, I've just been discussing having a gamepan. How can you have the confidence to come up with gameplans and implement them if so many players are not playing practice sets? Practice sets are great, I love playing them, I use them to try things out to take into matches at a later date.

If that is the case and I believe Sam Smith, then this thread is actually very poignant - we see the results with our own eyes.

fantic
Mar 30th, 2010, 07:29 AM
game plan, or variety..I think today's matches proves laurie's comments..