PDA

View Full Version : Which Aussie is the better player, Alicia Molik or Samantha Stosur?

Julian.
Mar 25th, 2010, 11:37 AM
Which Aussie is the better player? Alicia or Sam?

Alicia has a better career high ranking of #8 to Sam's #10 so far but Sam has reached a semifinal of a grandslam to Alicia's one quarterfinal.

rabbits
Mar 25th, 2010, 11:38 AM
at their peak no doubt Molik is infinitely tougher and at least as talented

Szczecin
Mar 25th, 2010, 11:45 AM
I think Molik was playing a lot better tennis when she was at her peak than Sam is now...

Molik in Late 2004/2005 Pre-Illness was beating everyone and playing awesome tennis... Such a shame she got sick when she did, because she had so much confidence back then...

I just don't think Sam is of that level yet...

Mana
Mar 25th, 2010, 11:46 AM
At there peak Molik IMO. Just a little more consistant.

Aaric
Mar 25th, 2010, 11:50 AM
Peak Molik

The Kaz
Mar 25th, 2010, 11:54 AM
Molik at her peak easily. Heck Alicia had to win 3 titles (Tier 1, 2 and 3), an Olympic bronze and slam QF just to get to the top 10!

austennis
Mar 25th, 2010, 12:18 PM
Peak Molik is the better player undoubtedly, Sam has had a great last 12months but theres been bad loses there and bad runs.. Alicia at her peak was more consistent and had a better game! Please let them both stay in form and have 2 aussie women in top 10 this time next year :)

goldenlox
Mar 25th, 2010, 12:29 PM
Peak Molik, but I think Stosur has the tools to be top 5.
Nobody but Serena can take over a match with her serve like Sam does.
She beat Zvonareva 4 times in a row. If she can play steady behind that serve, she is very dangerous.

ZODIAC
Mar 25th, 2010, 12:37 PM
Stosur is a ballbasher with no plan B,the way she folded against Jankovic was just puzzling.

brickhousesupporter
Mar 25th, 2010, 12:44 PM
Molik for sure, though neither of them are great. BTW Assies, do they not teach women in Australia how to hit a back hand. Both their serves and forehands are good, but their backhands are rudimentary at best.

Harvs
Mar 25th, 2010, 12:57 PM
Comapring Sam now to Alicia back in 04/05... Alicia is the better player.
With Sam, she can play INCREDIBLE but you just never know what side of her will turn up each day.
Whereas had Alicia not got that injury, I have no doubt she would have come very close to winning a few slams... she was playing insane tennis back then.

Huntress55
Mar 25th, 2010, 12:59 PM
Probably Alicia in her peak, she was amazing and much more consistent. That injury was just :sad:

Sam can also be amazing but not as often. Shes way too inconsistent, she can gave some incredible wins then some horribe losses, she really needs to fix that.

miss_molik
Mar 25th, 2010, 01:07 PM
Peak Alicia, it kills me that she got knocked down so quickly :sad:

hdfb
Mar 25th, 2010, 01:25 PM
Alicia... she won Zurich and quite a few other great titles beating quality players.

DragonFlame
Mar 25th, 2010, 01:28 PM
Molik at her peak for sure. In that fallseason she won an olympic medal(beating myskina,dementieva),a tier1(beating sharapova+former top10's schnyder, zvonareva, petrova), reach AO QF (beating venus williams, losing to davenport 7-9 in the third) + some other great wins like against mauresmo.

skanky~skanketta
Mar 25th, 2010, 02:12 PM
Alicia most definitely! Game-wise, they were pretty similar. Good serve, good forehand, great volleys! Weak backhand, ok movement. However, Leece was so much more consistent and calmer (and more likeable overall1). That illness really ruined her career. Absolutely ruined it. She was finally hitting well with no signs of tapering off and it spoilt everything! I'm still upset thinking about it.

That disgusting line call against Lindsay at the Australian also pisses me off!

WowWow
Mar 25th, 2010, 03:17 PM
Molik

Golovinjured.
Mar 25th, 2010, 04:43 PM
Right now, Stosur of course.

But peak? Molik. By far.
I think her serve was just as good as Stosurs at it's best, and she has a much better net game and BH slice. Most important, she's got a better head on her shoulders. Stosur isn't fearless, even now. Molik was.

SVK
Mar 25th, 2010, 04:46 PM
Hmm...overall Stosur - when I count also doubles...if I count just singles, Molik is a bit better.

AcesHigh
Mar 25th, 2010, 05:41 PM
Molik for sure.. although I think Stosur has a lot of potential. If only she could use that monstrous serve more effectively.