PDA

View Full Version : Chakvetadze vs Wozniacki

Volcana
Mar 25th, 2010, 02:41 AM
Okay, neither of them hit all that hard. Why is one of them #2 in the world, and the other's career is collapsing?

AnomyBC
Mar 25th, 2010, 02:50 AM
Because one of them had their home invaded and was tied up at gun point with her family and has been a basketcase ever since?

LeonHart
Mar 25th, 2010, 02:55 AM
Chaky used to be a very consistent ball striker like Wozzy. Now she's a head-case and her UE count is out of this world. If she got her head together she'd be top 10 no problem.

tennisforadults
Mar 25th, 2010, 03:03 AM
Wozniacki has far less unforced errors?

She can get to more balls more quickly than Anna does?

And her serve is stronger and more consistent?

Tennis is so much more than 'hitting the ball hard'.

Volcana
Mar 25th, 2010, 03:15 AM
Because one of them had their home invaded and was tied up at gun point with her family and has been a basketcase ever since?An honest question (insensitively worded).

My answer being, perhaps? But we've seen violent crime visit the lives and loved ons of tennis players before. (Seles, Serena, Venus ....) We know it CAN be overcome.

And I find it hard tobelieve Chakvetadze could be completely disfunctional, and still in the top hundred.

iPatty
Mar 25th, 2010, 03:21 AM
Top-spin.

Summer_Snow
Mar 25th, 2010, 03:48 AM
An honest question (insensitively worded).

My answer being, perhaps? But we've seen violent crime visit the lives and loved ons of tennis players before. (Seles, Serena, Venus ....) We know it CAN be overcome.

And I find it hard tobelieve Chakvetadze could be completely disfunctional, and still in the top hundred.

I believe people have different views and abilities to overcome trauma, I guess :)

Vee & Ree obviously use it as their motivation later after a while, and I Monica could do it pretty well but she was not that 100% the same though before the stabbing IMO :o

For Anna, perhaps, it's jst what type of person she is and how her overall perspective to her life is, I believe

But those, are all my assumption cuz I'm not Anna though hahaha ;)

Chakvenus
Mar 25th, 2010, 03:57 AM
Their game styles were and are completely different.
both players at their prime (Caroline now, Anna in 2007) were centered around consistancy for sure, but in very different ways.
Caroline prefers to take a passive roles in rallies when up against big hitters like Kuznetsova or Azarenka. She wins points against these players usually by envoking an unforced error, or throwing in the occasional winner/forced error at select opportunities. Because of this neutral style, she really isn't overtly prone to abject ups and downs, which sadly have been the essence of Chakvetadze's career since the previously mentioned home invasion.
Anna on the other hand usually took a more pro-active role in rallies. This is not to say that all Caroline does is push, but prime Anna did anything BUT push; her ball-striking was (and really still is) suberb, and this allowed her to move the ball around at will, running her opponents from side-to-side with the greatest of ease. She was able to mix up her play as well, changing the pace and hitting remarkable angles seemingly at will. She almost always played top brand, smart, quality tennis too. Her serve however has and likely always will be her Achilles' Heel, but she has always made up for this by being a particularly adept breaker, even against good servers.
It really is a shame how Anna has spiraled downward so, as her game was truly beautiful and one-of-a-kind and I really hope she can get back to at least the top 20 one day. Caroline is exactly at the age now that Anna was when she first made a big splash (winning Moscow in 2006) so their careers are similar in this aspect. To me, Caroline is more level-headed than Anna, and thus her career may be more solid, but really, only time will tell for both of these girls.

young_gunner913
Mar 25th, 2010, 04:05 AM
An honest question (insensitively worded).

People handle situations differently. I don't think that incident is still effecting her as much as when it happened, I just think it's now a total lack of confidence in her game and her ability to close out matches.

AcesHigh
Mar 25th, 2010, 04:09 AM
Top-spin.

I was going to make a paragraph long post.. but this pretty much sums it up in one word.

They have completely different gamestyles from what I remember.

mboyle
Mar 25th, 2010, 04:45 AM
Let's see where Wozniacki is in five years. Chakvetadze had a really good year or two. Wozniacki has had a good year and a half.

King Halep
Mar 25th, 2010, 05:29 AM
Might be an idea for Chak to try pushing more since its such a hot trend now. Take on the zen bhuddist tantra-style like Woz :zzz: and let the errors flow from the opponents. Remain in the moment, AChak. Push and wait. Push and wait.

TennisFan66
Mar 25th, 2010, 10:45 AM
both players at their prime (Caroline now, Anna in 2007) were centered around consistancy for sure, but in very different ways.
Caroline prefers to take a passive roles in rallies when up against big hitters like Kuznetsova or Azarenka. She wins points against these players usually by envoking an unforced error, or throwing in the occasional winner/forced error at select opportunities. Because of this neutral style, she really isn't overtly prone to abject ups and downs, which sadly have been the essence of Chakvetadze's career since the previously mentioned home invasion.
Anna on the other hand usually took a more pro-active role in rallies. This is not to say that all Caroline does is push, but prime Anna did anything BUT push; her ball-striking was (and really still is) suberb, and this allowed her to move the ball around at will, running her opponents from side-to-side with the greatest of ease. She was able to mix up her play as well, changing the pace and hitting remarkable angles seemingly at will. She almost always played top brand, smart, quality tennis too. Her serve however has and likely always will be her Achilles' Heel, but she has always made up for this by being a particularly adept breaker, even against good servers.
It really is a shame how Anna has spiraled downward so, as her game was truly beautiful and one-of-a-kind and I really hope she can get back to at least the top 20 one day. Caroline is exactly at the age now that Anna was when she first made a big splash (winning Moscow in 2006) so their careers are similar in this aspect. To me, Caroline is more level-headed than Anna, and thus her career may be more solid, but really, only time will tell for both of these girls.

What a well written reply. Kudos. :worship:

nicidle
Mar 25th, 2010, 11:15 AM
Top-spin.

:worship: true .. succinct

Mana
Mar 25th, 2010, 11:49 AM

100% agree with this. Even tho I don't really like her, Anna at her peak is a fantastic player :worship: