PDA

View Full Version : French Open could move away from Roland Garros in Paris

Mastodon
Mar 22nd, 2010, 05:23 PM
The French Open could be forced into a "heartbreaking" move away from Paris in the next few years due to problems with the infrastructure at Roland Garros.

Organisers have long considered ways of extending the current stadia but these have stalled because of opposition from the public and environmentalists.

And tournament director Gilbert Ysern explained: "We have two options, make it bigger or move out.

"It would be heartbreaking to leave Paris but we have to consider it."

A final decision on whether the tournament will remain in Paris is expected during a general assembly of the French Tennis Federation scheduled for next February.

But while the various extension plans have not been completely dismissed, organisers are now considering four possible new locations in the Paris suburbs, all over 15 kms away from the capital.

"Over the last 10 years, the three other grand slam tournaments have progressed, notably in terms of infrastructure, but we haven't," Ysern added, referring to the Australian Open, Wimbledon and US Open.

"Roland Garros cannot stay the way it is."

This year's French Open runs from 24 May to 6 June.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/tennis/8580652.stm

propi
Mar 22nd, 2010, 05:32 PM
I'd move it one country to the south :p
Bring it to Zaragoza :bounce:
Kidding :p
The problem with Roland Garros is that it's in the middle of Bois de Boulogne and I don't know if it's a protected area, apart of being a green lung for Paris. A transfer could be traumatic but to some extend necessary.

Arnian
Mar 22nd, 2010, 05:32 PM
I'm not sure how I feel about it moving from Roland Garros.
The Versailles idea sounds awesome though.

Certinfy
Mar 22nd, 2010, 05:34 PM
Move it to Antarctica!

thegreendestiny
Mar 22nd, 2010, 05:38 PM
Move it to Spain, they are the true clay court tennis country and not France.

sammy01
Mar 22nd, 2010, 05:50 PM
i thought the french open might be feeling pressure to either improve or move, as it seems each year the other slams are improving and growing. i wouldn't be against a move to keep it in line with the other slams. i mean the last thing anyone wants is the french open devalued due to it not progressing over the next 10-15 years.

Corswandt
Mar 22nd, 2010, 06:28 PM
The French Open could be forced into a "heartbreaking" move away from Paris in the next few years due to problems with the infrastructure at Roland Garros.

Organisers have long considered ways of extending the current stadia but these have stalled because of opposition from the public and environmentalists.

I wouldn't take this very seriously/literally.

The FTF is just blackmailing the local administration with the threat of moving out of Paris altogether in the hope that it will thus approve the FFT's plans to expand the existing infrastructure, which I guess pose serious environmental/urban planning problems.

LoLex
Mar 22nd, 2010, 06:32 PM
I heard they want to move it to Disneyland :o

Brooklyn90
Mar 22nd, 2010, 06:38 PM
Next to Versailles would be cool! :D

thegreendestiny
Mar 22nd, 2010, 07:08 PM

Great it would be the best Mickey Mouse tournament ever! :bounce:

Mynarco
Mar 22nd, 2010, 07:24 PM
just add hawkeye PLEASE. This is a friggin' slam

Adrian.
Mar 22nd, 2010, 07:34 PM

Great it would be the best Mickey Mouse tournament ever! :bounce:

:haha::haha::haha:
This made my day:lol:

hawk-eye on clay:scratch:

iGOAT
Mar 22nd, 2010, 07:52 PM
No they've gone over the Hawk-eye thing, the clay moves around a little, so Hawk-eye could potentially show a different mark than the one on the clay.

That would be nice at Versailles though.

améliemomo
Mar 22nd, 2010, 07:57 PM
Move it to Spain, they are the true clay court tennis country and not France.

in your dreams:o.
Claycourts at Roland Garros ARE THE BEST.And Paris is Paris so no way in Spain.
As for moving its a great thing, Roland Garros has to have bigger infrastructures like there are in the other slams. Its a necessity.
Paris has many great places.Saint Cloud is just one side of it.Not the best.

Lucemferre
Mar 22nd, 2010, 08:04 PM

Why? :spit:

youizahoe
Mar 22nd, 2010, 08:07 PM
They need hawk-eye, most of the time they use a wrong clay mark. I think the player should have the possibility to object.

youizahoe
Mar 22nd, 2010, 08:36 PM

MEF would be great, Hotels in Disney are a lot cheaper than those in Paris :rolls:

bjurra
Mar 22nd, 2010, 10:26 PM
While I agree the French Open lacks space, anyone with a brain can see they are not using the space they have properly.

If they extended/enlarged the bleachers on court 17, 18, 2, 3, 4, 5 and 6, they would easily increase spectator capacity by 4,000. If they need space for restaurants, offices, restrooms, build vertically upwards and downwards.

If they need more space for practice courts, now that is another story.

The best option for expansion would be to build more courts in the park, it is large enough anyway. But I suspect many people would complain, that park seems to be holy to them.

Cakeisgood
Mar 22nd, 2010, 10:28 PM
Versaille would be the seks.

Galsen
Mar 22nd, 2010, 10:50 PM
Marne La Vallée pleaase

stefi62
Mar 22nd, 2010, 11:58 PM
Come to Versailles, please! ;)

practiceboy
Mar 23rd, 2010, 02:29 AM
So the name of the tournament would have to change, right?

Jajaloo
Mar 23rd, 2010, 02:33 AM
And tournament director Gilbert Ysern explained: "We have two options, make it bigger or move out.
"It would be heartbreaking to leave Paris but we have to consider it."
A final decision on whether the tournament will remain in Paris is expected during a general assembly of the French Tennis Federation scheduled for next February.

But while the various extension plans have not been completely dismissed, organisers are now considering four possible new locations in the Paris suburbs, all over 15 kms away from the capital, including Versailles and Disneyland Paris.
"Over the last 10 years, the three other grand slam tournaments have progressed, notably in terms of infrastructure, but we haven't," Ysern added, referring to the Australian Open, Wimbledon and US Open.
"Roland Garros cannot stay the way it is."
The French Open attracts 450,000 spectators during the fortnight it takes place, but Ysern revealed that world number one Roger Federer had given him a "long list of complaints" about the Paris tournament.
This year's French Open runs from 24 May to 6 June.

:confused:

auntie janie
Mar 23rd, 2010, 02:35 AM
Yes, it will be Disney Open. ;)

égalité
Mar 23rd, 2010, 02:38 AM
omg yes, move it next to versailles! :hearts:

CrossCourt~Rally
Mar 23rd, 2010, 03:13 AM
Yes, it will be Disney Open. ;)

:haha: With Minnie Mouse as the mascot :p