PDA

View Full Version : Which current players are the best assets to the tour?

Golovinjured.
Mar 22nd, 2010, 03:47 PM
After watching the Indian Wells trophy ceremony, I realised how lucky the tour is to have women like Jankovic and Wozniacki at the top of the game. Charismatic, friendly, attractive enough. People may attack Wozniacki for her game, but girls like her will attract fans not particularly of the sport, but of the tour. Which got me thinking, which current players are our best selling points?

Are Serena, Venus, Clijsters, Henin the most valuable players 'bums-on-seats' wise, or are Wozniacki, Radwanska, Azarenka... taking that mantle from them?

ElusiveChanteuse
Mar 22nd, 2010, 03:56 PM
Sharapova and the Williams

Golovinjured.
Mar 22nd, 2010, 04:01 PM
Does Ivanovic still rate at all?

Conor
Mar 22nd, 2010, 04:01 PM
It's still all about the tennis for me... the Champions draw the crowds.

Conor
Mar 22nd, 2010, 04:02 PM
Does Ivanovic still rate at all?

For comic value? Perhaps.

Aravanecaravan
Mar 22nd, 2010, 04:24 PM
Good post!

I think we all form first impressions--right or wrong--based on what we see on TV, but having been to a few tournaments now and met some of them, I think most, if not all of these women are assets for the tour. I don't think I've ever met a player who wasn't gracious about signing autographs or chatting and certainly they were all appreciative of fans coming out to watch them and cheer.

They just need to be marketed better. Unfortunately, here in the US, the media doesn't care about more than three or four women players and maybe 6 or 7 men's players. Getting out to the events in person is the best way to experience pro tennis, IMHO.

SIN DIOS NI LEY
Mar 22nd, 2010, 04:30 PM
The sportsmanship award winners

thegreendestiny
Mar 22nd, 2010, 04:35 PM
Depending on your region, the sisters (US), the Belgians (EU) and of course Masha (Eurasia) are the magic five of WTA today.

DragonFlame
Mar 22nd, 2010, 04:40 PM
Players i want to see the most during my trip to RG:

Gals: Justine, Elena, Kim, Serena, Venus, Maria, Li na, kiri.

Guys: Rafael, Novak, Roger, Andyx2, Gasquet, Verdasco

If i see all of those, i consider my trip an epic succes. That's 15 players i will be looking out for. I'm hoping to see at least 10 of them.

goldenlox
Mar 22nd, 2010, 04:42 PM
The big market right now is China. So if the WTA could rig the next 2 majors, Jie and Li would win them

miffedmax
Mar 22nd, 2010, 06:20 PM
I think it does vary a bit from region to region, but the WS, Henin, JJ, TOB, Lena D., Caro and Clijsters are all pretty well known.

I think Azarenka is rising and Ana is falling.

Wiggly
Mar 22nd, 2010, 07:36 PM
The Williams, the Belgians and Sharapova.

Break My Rapture
Mar 22nd, 2010, 07:44 PM
Venus, Serena, Maria and Kim.

youizahoe
Mar 22nd, 2010, 08:10 PM
Serena, Venus, Maria, Kim & Justine.

Szavay #1
Mar 22nd, 2010, 09:02 PM
juju, kim, the ws, masha and depending on where the tourney is i'd said ana.

Stevecw
Mar 22nd, 2010, 10:06 PM
Really Jankovic is attractive enough :eek: ??

But here in a tennis free zone that Ireland is, I doubt most people would know anyone except the Williams sisters and Sharapova. We only get coverage of French Open and Wimbledon on live tv here...and even those 2 are on the Irish language channel which most of us have no idea how to speak/understand it!!

Ferg
Mar 22nd, 2010, 10:11 PM
Really Jankovic is attractive enough :eek: ??

But here in a tennis free zone that Ireland is, I doubt most people would know anyone except the Williams sisters and Sharapova. We only get coverage of French Open and Wimbledon on live tv here...and even those 2 are on the Irish language channel which most of us have no idea how to speak/understand it!!

Feacher sinn!!!

Stevecw
Mar 22nd, 2010, 11:06 PM
Feacher sinn!!!

Sad to say my Irish is that bad, i have no idea what that even means!!! Blame my idiot of a teacher in Carlow!! I've better French now than Irish...so wrong :(
All I hear off TG4 is Suil Eile + they have gorgeous weather girls!! :hearts:

Ferg
Mar 22nd, 2010, 11:20 PM
Sad to say my Irish is that bad, i have no idea what that even means!!! Blame my idiot of a teacher in Carlow!! I've better French now than Irish...so wrong :(
All I hear off TG4 is Suil Eile + they have gorgeous weather girls!! :hearts:

I dont even know what it means either, but the commentator on TG4 says that everytime someone hits a winner! :lol:

kiwifan
Mar 23rd, 2010, 12:15 AM
I walk out of my office grab anyone in the hall (other than the two other tennis fans); women's tennis is: The Williams Sisters, Sharapova and Anna K. :tape:

Stevecw
Mar 23rd, 2010, 12:21 AM
I dont even know what it means either, but the commentator on TG4 says that everytime someone hits a winner! :lol:

Ah makes sense now. Feach ar sinn, would mean Look at that (i think) My junior cert Irish still is relevant!!! :)

pav
Mar 23rd, 2010, 12:23 AM
Willys to the bottom of the list,sourpusses on court, silly stage managed screeches when they hit an overhead to make it sound a harder smash than it is(very funny when it goes into the net and the horrible sound stops abruptly)still they seem to be popular, no accounting for the tastes of some I suppose!

Inger67
Mar 23rd, 2010, 12:37 AM
I think as far as people that appreciate tennis for the sport and love of the game like to see the BIG Championship names in there (WS, Belgians, & Sharapova) like previously stated. However, I can also see people that aren't that familiar with tennis liking players like Jankovic, Caro, etc.

Just last year I was in Cincy and the people next to me (who lacked tennis knowledge) said they wanted JJ to win over Elena bc she was charismatic and looked like an enjoyable person. It sounds weird to me, but just putting it out there.