PDA

View Full Version : Wozniacki: Will she always fall short???

iGOAT
Mar 22nd, 2010, 02:54 AM
She cannot win a big tournament, as she has lost finals of Indian Wells, Charleston, Madrid, and New York now :tape: plus she now looks like she could be stuck at number two for a while :tape:.
She also can't quite seem to be able to beat the top players (like her perfect losing record against #1's) yet she gets close, like holding match points against Serena Williams :unsure:.

Can Wozniacki turn it up a notch (like Lady JaJa did today) or will she be stuck in runner-up position for her career.

Sean.
Mar 22nd, 2010, 02:57 AM
If she keeps giving herself opportunities, then I guess she'll win one.

iGOAT
Mar 22nd, 2010, 03:04 AM
I have to say I think she will win a big one, but today was very dismal!

kiwialicat
Mar 22nd, 2010, 03:08 AM
She's just not ready yet.

SIN DIOS NI LEY
Mar 22nd, 2010, 03:11 AM
It's now or never

In 2-3 more years , she won´t get these chances

Protoss
Mar 22nd, 2010, 03:16 AM
Charleston is a big tournament?

kiwialicat
Mar 22nd, 2010, 03:18 AM
Besides No.2 is hardly falling short. According to some people she shouldn't even be there.

delicatecutter
Mar 22nd, 2010, 03:38 AM
Yes. There's is a slim chance that she'll face someone on the Final who got even a more opportunistic draw in the Final, but I doubt it. More likely would be she could face a player that she has a really good record against who also just happened to beat players that Caro would have been less likely to beat. For instance, in Indian Wells I think Kleybanova had a chance of beating Jeca and then Stosur only to lose to Caro in the final.

Time will tell, but I feel pretty confident predicting that Caro will never win a Slam.

Volcana
Mar 22nd, 2010, 03:43 AM
She's nineteen. She has years to acquire what's needed to win a slam.

kiwifan
Mar 22nd, 2010, 03:45 AM
When you aren't the natural aggressor you usually are going to lose to the best players...but you will always catch some of them on an off day...she just needs that off day to be the last day of a big tournament. :shrug:

Jajaloo
Mar 22nd, 2010, 03:46 AM
Errrr, she's 19. Her game can only improve.

I don't know how many Grand Slams you won at 19.

hellas719
Mar 22nd, 2010, 03:48 AM

I won 3 in singles, 4 in doubles, and one in mixed doubles :angel::lol:

Orbis
Mar 22nd, 2010, 03:49 AM
All that's missing now is a "Has Wozniacki passed her peak?" thread. :lol:

Yeah, seriously, she's 19.

Tennisstar86
Mar 22nd, 2010, 03:53 AM
More than likely yes, and heres why. In the big tournaments when she gets to the final shes playing someone who hasnt just slipped through. They are on point and have their game together...so she wont be able to *Push* them off the court. They hit their spots and have the confidence.... The only thing would be for Caro to be more aggressive, which she doesnt have the finishing shot for that to work so unless someone self destructs against her in the final yes she will fall short.

delicatecutter
Mar 22nd, 2010, 04:08 AM
Errrr, she's 19. Her game can only improve.

Because I need to be a tennis pro to assess what I see?

By the age of 19, your game is pretty much set. Mauresmo and Novotna, who both didn't win their first slam well into their 20s, always had the talent and game to do so. Their problems were mental. Caro is the opposite. Her style of play is not designed to win Slams. She will struggle to try to be an aggressive player as we saw in today's final. I should never say never, but it would take a Miracle Draw for her to win a Slam.

fantic
Mar 22nd, 2010, 04:10 AM
iSzavay, I have uploaded some pts of S's match against CSN at youtube, hope you enjoy (id fantic7)

Wozzie's performance was sub-par at least ( Zheng game was WAY better, and Martic was more effective

against Janko..)..she needs to work on her FH, I think..she's still young, so. ;)

new-york
Mar 22nd, 2010, 04:12 AM
as long as she hits short.

SIN DIOS NI LEY
Mar 22nd, 2010, 04:12 AM
The day Woz gets Safina in an important Final , I think she can

Ouch , she played vs Safina in Madrid :D

fufuqifuqishahah
Mar 22nd, 2010, 04:27 AM
she's 19

she has a whole decade to conquer :P

She'll continue to fall short if:
A) She doesn't improve her game;
B) She doesn't become more mentally secure; and
C) Other current and future young sensations figure out how to beat her

If one of the above doesn't hold true, she will win something pretty cool lol

Serenita
Mar 22nd, 2010, 04:29 AM
She's not ready yet. Maybe in time :shrug:

Golovinjured.
Mar 22nd, 2010, 11:39 AM
I think it's important to remember that Caroline has only passed the R16 at a GS once, and in that instance she only beat one TOP 20 player en route. I know you can only play who's in front of you, but that was the definition of luck and opportunism. Her game just isn't big enough to beat the best players when they're at their best, and the slams are when they bring it. I don't know if she has the game to win a GS one day, but she's got the head for it, and that's half the battle.

TennisFan66
Mar 22nd, 2010, 12:16 PM
Yes. There's is a slim chance that she'll face someone on the Final who got even a more opportunistic draw in the Final, but I doubt it. More likely would be she could face a player that she has a really good record against who also just happened to beat players that Caro would have been less likely to beat. For instance, in Indian Wells I think Kleybanova had a chance of beating Jeca and then Stosur only to lose to Caro in the final.

Time will tell, but I feel pretty confident predicting that Caro will never win a Slam.

Time will tell, but I feel pretty confident that Caro will win a Slam.

PS your 'your game is set at 19' blah blah is just such BS that it beggars belief.

But as one poster already mentioned, with the negative obsession so many people here on TF has with Caroline Wozniacki, all we need now is the 'Has Wozniacki peaked?' thread.

IMHO the WTA is in a transition. Older players like the Williamses, Elena on the way out. Middle aged (thats mid 20's when you are a tennis player) like Jankovic will likely not be able to improve much anymore. Safina, Masha though great players, plagued with injury. Unfortunately.

Then you have the young guard. Caroline, Vika. They are on the way UP and IN. With price money alone of ~$4mio and a world ranking at No 2, some could argue Caroline is already both UP and IN :)

poulao
Mar 22nd, 2010, 12:53 PM
The disappointed was, that she did not seize the moment, play her pants off, heart out, what ever, there was no desire, no fire. The reason might be a what ever, but it has nothing to do with her tennis skills or athletic fitness, the problem surely was in the nut. Caro being a girl, I mean, we have all heard some of the weirdest explanations like, fx. Sharapova's after her loss to Cibulkova in French Open last year, Hingis altso had some good ones in her days. I hope Caro gets over it fast.