PDA

View Full Version : Moder History People Out There ???

The Vampiress
Oct 5th, 2002, 12:56 PM
I need some help for History

the first part is

what attitude did hitler and many other Germans have towards the way Germany was treated by the treaty of versaillies
I have information to that, but this is the Q i need help with, it relates to that question

Why was this attitude(refer to top question) a threat to the peace of Europe after 1919

Anyone can give any pointers, facts, just snippets of info would be welcomed.

Sam L
Oct 5th, 2002, 01:03 PM
I am NOT a modern history person by any means.

But I just want to have my $0.02 lol :)

Apparently, they were humiliated by it and thought it was harsh and unjust. The repayments to UK and France etc.. caused the hyperflation so they weren't impressed I'm sure. I guess countries like UK, USA, France made a mistake. Cause all of that was what led to the build up to WWII.

I prefer prehistory :)

Maajken
Oct 5th, 2002, 02:17 PM
By 1917 Germany wasnt entitled to import goods from the u.s. so at the end of WWI there was a shortage of almost everything. The ones mostly affected by this were the german people themselves and several hunger riots broke out. The situation got even worse when belgium and france occupied the ruhr area because germany wasnt able to pay their wardebts.

Like Sam said, the allied powers made some bad decisions which they'd regret later. The poor economical and political state of germany was the perfect breeding ground for hitler to gain more power and eventually declare war on the a.p.

irma
Oct 5th, 2002, 03:16 PM
some germans, including hitler were already mad, that they lost the war, while they never felt they really lost it. they just gave it up in their opinion!
and then all those sanctions did the rest!

gentenaire
Oct 5th, 2002, 03:29 PM
Germany was also destroyed during WWI. But whereas other countries received money to rebuild the country, Germany couldn't invest in their own economy, since nearly all the money they made served to pay wardebts. The Versaille Treaty made it nearly impossible for the Germans to rebuild their economy. So like Maeike said, it was the perfect breeding ground for extremists.

veryborednow
Oct 5th, 2002, 04:47 PM
After agreeing to the Armistice in November 1918, the Germans had been convinced that they would be consulted by the Allies on the contents of the Treaty. This did not happen and the Germans were in no position to continue the war as her army had all but disintegrated. Though this lack of consultation angered them, there was nothing they could do about it. Therefore, the first time that the German representatives saw the terms of the Treaty was just weeks before they were due to sign it in the Hall of Mirrors at the Palace of Versailles on June 28th 1919.

There was anger throughout Germany when the terms were made public. The Treaty became known as a Diktat - as it was being forced on them and the Germans had no choice but to sign it. Many in Germany did not want the Treaty signed, but the representatives there knew that they had no choice as German was incapable of restarting the war again.

In one last gesture of defiance, the captured German naval force held at Scapa Flow (north of Scotland) scuttled itself i.e. deliberately sank itself.

Germany was given two choices:

1) sign the Treaty or
2) be invaded by the Allies.

They signed the Treaty as in reality they had no choice. When the ceremony was over, Clemenceau went out into the gardens of Versailles and said "It is a beautiful day".

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------the Treaty seemed to satisfy the "Big Three" as in their eyes it was a just peace as it kept Germany weak yet strong enough to stop the spread of communism; kept the French border with Germany safe from another German attack and created the organisation, the League of Nations, that would end warfare throughout the world.
however, it left a mood of anger throughout Germany as it was felt that as a nation Germany had been unfairly treated.
Above all else, Germany hated the clause blaming her for the cause of the war and the resultant financial penalties the treaty was bound to impose on Germany. Those who signed it (though effectively they had no choice) became known as the "November Criminals".
Many German citizens felt that they were being punished for the mistakes of the German government in August 1914 as it was the government that had declared war not the people

The Vampiress
Oct 9th, 2002, 08:29 AM
Thankyou Sam L, Angelica, Irma, Tine, vbn, I got an excellence for it (highest level you can achieve) and all informationprovided form you 5 was proven useful, infact my Teacher said "Where did you get this information from, it's certinaly made your assignment excel"

Again Thanks everyone:kiss: