PDA

View Full Version : Never realised what a HQ match that RG QF was... (SW vs SK) Highlights

Renalicious
Mar 21st, 2010, 03:01 PM
Wow, there are some amazing shots in here and the video is high quality too. I never noticed as I was so anxious cheering Rena on. But wow, Sveta really played phenomenally.

qVC0NFo0UkY

Ferg
Mar 21st, 2010, 03:14 PM
I still think it was one of the best of last year. Only thing better then Sveta's play was her mental strength, after wasting almost the same lead against Ree in Australia.

volta
Mar 21st, 2010, 03:15 PM
the 3rd Set ... why Serena WHY :bigcry:

Williamsfan4ever
Mar 21st, 2010, 03:17 PM
This was a good match all the way around. I believe if Serena can play like this this year she will win Roland garros. Is was. Mental lapse that caused trouble with this match.

VishaalMaria
Mar 21st, 2010, 03:30 PM
Just goes to show when Serena's confident, it translates in her game, some of the shots she hit without grunting, so cleanly for winners and Svetlana couldn't do anything.

But, even Serena Williams with her mental strength found it too hard to win Roland Garros considering her HIDEOUS clay court results and form prior.

So much credit to Svetlana here.

VishaalMaria
Mar 21st, 2010, 03:32 PM
I just have to say Serena Williams is fucking amazing. I can't describe it. Her play from 3-5 down in the first set till about 6-5 ish was phenomenal. Shame she kept getting tight.

She CAN play on clay, those drop shots, volleys and angles she was hitting to set up points.

Bijoux0021
Mar 21st, 2010, 03:34 PM
Great match! It was nice seeing how Sveta and Serena kept applauding each other's great shots in the first and second set.

youizahoe
Mar 21st, 2010, 03:37 PM
God still can't believe she lost that match.

Renalicious
Mar 21st, 2010, 03:43 PM
I admit I was very disappointed after Serena blew a lead in the third but oh come on, she rebounded from a 3-5 deficit in the 1st set, and then rebounded again in the 2nd. So... at some point her luck/mental strength was gonna take a toll. :lol:

And yes, Serena can really play on clay if she gets in the right gear.

The Witch-king
Mar 21st, 2010, 03:47 PM
I didn't watch this match because the idiots at channel seven or what ever that australian chit is called decided it was more important to show the riveting Stosir vs Cirstea. And when that was over they switched over to Serena-Sveta till Sveta was about to serve for the match when them tards decided to show Federror and Monfails WARMING UP. *smh*. God i was SO disgusted that day.

NA-GOAT
Mar 21st, 2010, 03:48 PM
this thread should be in the videos forum :bigwave:

youizahoe
Mar 21st, 2010, 03:49 PM
I admit I was very disappointed after Serena blew a lead in the third but oh come on, she rebounded from a 3-5 deficit in the 1st set, and then rebounded again in the 2nd. So... at some point her luck/mental strength was gonna take a toll. :lol:

And yes, Serena can really play on clay if she gets in the right gear.

I have feeling she will so this year, but will be able to keep it together, she'll have less energy lost coming in this match, than usual. And is probably already practicing on clay as we speak :D

Renalicious
Mar 21st, 2010, 03:50 PM
Yes. Cirstea and Stosur were scheduled on Centre, and this was on Lenglen. Oh, the mistake they made. :help:

youizahoe
Mar 21st, 2010, 03:50 PM
this thread should be in the videos forum :bigwave:

You should be placed in the ARCHIVES forum :bigwave:

NA-GOAT
Mar 21st, 2010, 03:53 PM
You should be placed in the ARCHIVES forum :bigwave:

:spit:

OK so we should all start posting videos in GM :dance:

AnnaK_4ever
Mar 21st, 2010, 04:13 PM
Yes. Cirstea and Stosur were scheduled on Centre, and this was on Lenglen. Oh, the mistake they made. :help:

It wasn't a mistake. They did it on purpose -- to even out the schedule at the Chatrier and Lenglen, otherwise the SL spectators wouldn't get to see a single high profile match that day.

youizahoe
Mar 21st, 2010, 04:25 PM
:spit:

OK so we should all start posting videos in GM :dance:

Your seed threads should be in the tournament forums too. Don't see anyone whining about that? right?

MrSerenaWilliams
Mar 21st, 2010, 04:33 PM
I didn't know Serena had SP in the first set! :sobbing:

:smash: what a choke job :rolleyes:

AcesHigh
Mar 21st, 2010, 04:35 PM
Eh.. it wasn't a particularly great match. I think highlights are deceiving. If you look at highlights of Venus-Hingis 2006, you'd think it was a classic when in actuality it was a god-awful dreadful match.

It was a good match considering the quality lately though.

Dodoboy.
Mar 21st, 2010, 04:40 PM
Never seen a point from this match :speakles:

Certinfy
Mar 21st, 2010, 04:45 PM
I remember this match, was pretty good, ending was pretty tense as well.

fantic
Mar 21st, 2010, 04:51 PM
Sveta is growing on me :hearts: I was MOST impressed with her football skill with a tennis ball at USO or AO :lol:

ce
Mar 21st, 2010, 05:08 PM
this still hurts :sobbing:

Arnian
Mar 21st, 2010, 05:08 PM
I thought the match was good but I wouldn't say it was extremely HQ. The Wimbledon semi was much better in terms of quality.
Yet, some of the points from this match are really great!

vesanto
Mar 21st, 2010, 05:31 PM
When Svetlana is on, she is a pleasure to watch!

moby
Mar 21st, 2010, 06:04 PM
Eh.. it wasn't a particularly great match. I think highlights are deceiving. If you look at highlights of Venus-Hingis 2006, you'd think it was a classic when in actuality it was a god-awful dreadful match.

It was a good match considering the quality lately though.Agreed. I only saw the third set of this match, and it was awful. A lot of passive pushing and wild errors.
I hear the first set was very good though.

moby
Mar 21st, 2010, 06:11 PM
The first two sets were good.Re: your avatar. How did those two guys win a Take-A-Photo-with-Lady-Gaga fan contest, and why didn't I hear about this contest? :confused:
I would have wanted to take part too!

AnywhereButHome
Mar 21st, 2010, 06:14 PM
I cant believe she lost that match!!! :sad:

Gdsimmons
Mar 21st, 2010, 06:23 PM
Dear god, this match just depresses me so very much

moby
Mar 21st, 2010, 06:29 PM
She was the one taking part actually :ras:.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Glf0EQEv7O4&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f6G7ASH8xwU&feature=related:speakles:

I just got PWNED.

I guess we all have our weird indulgences. Even Lady Gaga.

Especially Lady Gaga.

P.S. I will diminish and Go into the West.

AnnaK_4ever
Mar 21st, 2010, 06:39 PM
Agreed. I only saw the third set of this match, and it was awful. A lot of passive pushing and wild errors.
I hear the first set was very good though.

In the last 7-8 games of the first set both players demonstrated incredible ballstriking ability and variety of shots. Now THAT was the true 'point construction'.

Apoleb
Mar 21st, 2010, 06:48 PM
In the last 7-8 games of the first set both players demonstrated incredible ballstriking ability and variety of shots. Now THAT was the true 'point construction'.

Yes.

Serena's level in the first set (from 3-5 down) was possibly the best I've seen her play on clay courts since 2002, and that's only because she was too fast and had too much power back then. She was constructing points with a combination of court awareness/angles/power and even some variety like the best of them. I don't know how Svet was able to hang with her and still win the set, and I think that really damaged Serena's confidence for the rest of the match.

You can tell that Serena is not mentally GOAT on clay.

Dunlop1
Mar 21st, 2010, 06:54 PM
I really can't enjoy watching Serena on clay. Her movement is so laboured.
The last match on clay that was :drool: from Serena was the 2002 Rome Final against Henin. I thought she grew up playing on the dirt in that match.
Now she's heavier and just can't get out of her own way on the red clay.

As for Sveta, she wasn't that great in this match (neither was Serena to be honest) but highlights make it look awesome.
What I love about her though are those windshield wiper forehands that she takes at head height and just wallops. It's such a modern stroke and fantastic to watch (when she times it properly).

Dunlop1
Mar 21st, 2010, 06:56 PM
I don't know how Svet was able to hang with her and still win the set,

Her footwork. Can be exposed on clay. Plus Sveta loves the high bounces. Fits her stroke perfectly. Serena's optimum strike zone is just above waist level. Sveta was getting those forehands pretty high on Serena. It was Serena who did well to really move and adjust to it. A player like Venus would have lost 4 and 3.

LCS
Mar 21st, 2010, 09:06 PM
Quarterena :inlove:

Renalicious
Mar 22nd, 2010, 12:13 AM
Serena's shot at 6:53 is just sublime. :drool: