PDA

View Full Version : The new world No.2 on herself : "I'm a great player"

AnnaK_4ever
Mar 20th, 2010, 06:05 PM
When asked whether the rise proves that she belongs in the Top 2, Wozniacki commented: "I think I'm a great player and I've done a lot of good results. It's not easy to beat me. Opponents have to play really well to win. I think I'm just a fighter, and the ranking speaks for itself. But right now I'm just happy about my result here at Indian Wells. I'm concentrating on this tournament, and that's the most important thing for me now. The ranking is just a bonus."

http://www.sonyericssonwtatour.com/page/OffCourtNews/Read/0,,12781~2000078,00.html

I'm applauding her. :worship:

espntennis
Mar 20th, 2010, 06:07 PM
Good for her. As we have seen, confidence is a necessary, and valuable, thing in tennis.

Julian.
Mar 20th, 2010, 06:09 PM
Confident girl. :)

heart
Mar 20th, 2010, 06:11 PM
eventhough i dont agree with it..i think any player would say that about themselves when theyre playing in a premier final, i mean who wouldnt??:shrug:

doktor
Mar 20th, 2010, 06:12 PM
smooth... you wouldn't expect any less from a world no. 2

Eduardo Oliveira
Mar 20th, 2010, 06:13 PM
yes, she is.
:worship:

wildemu
Mar 20th, 2010, 06:14 PM
I try pretty hard to like her, but then I think about her dad's antics.

Andrew Laeddis
Mar 20th, 2010, 06:15 PM
She's right :)

tennnisfannn
Mar 20th, 2010, 06:17 PM
She is catching up with serena" players have to play really well to beat me", when she gets the no. 1 ranking she willbe in the territory of "players play the match of their lives against me:"

doktor
Mar 20th, 2010, 06:19 PM
She is catching up with serena" players have to play really well to beat me", when she gets the no. 1 ranking she willbe in the territory of "players play the match of their lives against me:"

please lets at least say "IF" i'm trying not to think of it as a forgone conclusion just yet...

AnnaK_4ever
Mar 20th, 2010, 06:22 PM

Too pity she'll never amdit that players have to play some of the worst matches of their lives in order to lose to her.

Gdsimmons
Mar 20th, 2010, 06:25 PM
:tape::tape:No comment

WowWow
Mar 20th, 2010, 06:27 PM
Caro :hearts:
Love this girl!
I can always rely on her to beat the ones I don't like :inlove:

Slutati
Mar 20th, 2010, 06:34 PM
She's right. The rankings don't lie. Second best player on the tour right now.

Feyd
Mar 20th, 2010, 06:37 PM
Good. That's the right attitude.

madmax
Mar 20th, 2010, 06:42 PM
Girl is oozing confidence - gotta respect her for that in an age of chronic chokers and headcases:bowdown:

@danieln1
Mar 20th, 2010, 06:44 PM

This.

Robert-KimClijst
Mar 20th, 2010, 06:49 PM
That's a good attitude. What kind of player would she be if she said, "I don't have the kind of game that can beat a peak Serena. If I didn't play as many tournaments my ranking wouldn't be as good."

SerenaSlam
Mar 20th, 2010, 06:52 PM
i have a standard personally for myself. and reading her response to this question i do not see how this is a showing of "confidence" or the right attitude.

and to be honest if the question was does her rise prove she belongs in the top 2 what type of question is that? i break stuff down. but what does her "rise" have anything to do with belonging in the top 2. Her rise and the top 2 are the same thing. thats like saying Does becoming number 2 prove she deserves to be number 2.

Now had they asked does she feel like her RESULTS prove she deserves to be in the top 2 that would have made sense. But honestly asking someone if their "rise" proves they deserve to be ranked in the top 2 sounds dumb. Be more specific. when you say rise i translate ranking. not rise in her level of play or game. because in all actuality her "rise" hasn't been in her performance. this is her first final since the usopen. don't see how that is considered a "rise" especially by my standard. take serena for example. since wimbledon i believe she has pretty much been in the semi atleast in majority of her tournaments. now that is a rise. and she so happend to not even move in the rankings till the very end of the year. LMAO

SerenaSlam
Mar 20th, 2010, 06:57 PM
That's a good attitude. What kind of player would she be if she said, "I don't have the kind of game that can beat a peak Serena. If I didn't play as many tournaments my ranking wouldn't be as good."

she would be the same player just speaking the truth...if thats what your asking as to the "kind of player" serena at her peak has the game to which CW would never beat her. and if she didnt play as many tournies its a fact her ranking would not be as good. we already know how the ranking system can be played. there is no need to act like we dont. the more you play result not really mattering your ranking will rise. aka you can consistently play 18 tournies and lose in the semis and be in the top 2 hell even number 1.

This is a start. Of course she needs to respond in a way that doesn't put herself down. Yet she needs to show the results that we have yet to see. Yes she made it to the finals of the US Open but how many upcomers have done that. and where are they now?....im just sayin IMO

TheAllan
Mar 20th, 2010, 06:58 PM
Too pity she'll never amdit that players have to play some of the worst matches of their lives in order to lose to her.
It's astonishing how frequently they manage to do just that. Even if there were some truth to it, no player should give a hoot if their defeated opponent thought she played poorly.

Noctis
Mar 20th, 2010, 07:16 PM
Atleast she's not a headcase.
Choking.

Slutiana
Mar 20th, 2010, 07:20 PM
She's wrong. The race doesn't lie. She's not the second best player on the tour right now, Venus is.
:inlove: Preach it cister!

Nicolás89
Mar 20th, 2010, 07:23 PM
She is. :yeah:

Dunlop1
Mar 20th, 2010, 07:24 PM

A realistic player?

Sammo
Mar 20th, 2010, 07:27 PM
Wow, it's unbelievable that players like Mary Pierce have achieved like one million times more in their careers like Wozniacki and didn't even reach the world number 2 spot.

Marilyn Monheaux
Mar 20th, 2010, 07:28 PM

She's right. The rankings don't lie. Second best highest ranked player on the tour right now.:shrug:

You don't get there by being a bad player! She's great at what she does, no matter if one likes it or not. She's winning the matches at the moment that give her the points to climb up the rankings.

SIN DIOS NI LEY
Mar 20th, 2010, 07:35 PM
Delusional

SerenaSlam
Mar 20th, 2010, 08:56 PM
It's astonishing how frequently they manage to do just that. Even if there were some truth to it, no player should give a hoot if their defeated opponent thought she played poorly.

I would definitely give a HOOT because as the winning player id be thinking geeze it took all of that out of my game to win this match and they played like shit. i have a lot to work on because next time we meet and she/he is on fire. im going to get blown away. that is how i would be thinking. fyi...players know their games and the standard they are at. it would be silly not to think of the better player and how they played in a loss opposed to thinking oh i played amazing my "level" is the same of serena williams (all cuz i beat her). def doesn't work like that.

SerenaSlam
Mar 20th, 2010, 09:00 PM
She's right. The rankings don't lie. Second best highest ranked player on the tour right now.:shrug:

You don't get there by being a bad player! She's great at what she does, no matter if one likes it or not. She's winning the matches at the moment that give her the points to climb up the rankings.

you couldnt have said it any better. she is winning the matches right now that are giving her the points to climb up the rankings. not necessarily winning the tournaments. but with this ranking system you don't need that. you just have to accumulate a good amount of matches and results.

to be honest based of the wta ranking system she is number 1. because serena's points are not based off of her matches won. its based of her tournaments won. how many players can you say go off that....1 serena.

SerenaSlam
Mar 20th, 2010, 09:04 PM
what if the rankings were based off that. tournaments won. :eek:

The Witch-king
Mar 20th, 2010, 09:06 PM

she sounds more like Safina to me. Next she'll be saying she is better than Venus on grass :o

The Witch-king
Mar 20th, 2010, 09:07 PM

this.

OsloErik
Mar 20th, 2010, 09:10 PM
she would be the same player just speaking the truth...if thats what your asking as to the "kind of player" serena at her peak has the game to which CW would never beat her. and if she didnt play as many tournies its a fact her ranking would not be as good. we already know how the ranking system can be played. there is no need to act like we dont. the more you play result not really mattering your ranking will rise. aka you can consistently play 18 tournies and lose in the semis and be in the top 2 hell even number 1.

Firstly, there's a thread from the early off-season titled something like "If I didn't play so many tournaments, my ranking wouldn't be as high", which is a direct quotation from CW. She's aware of how the ranking system works.

Secondly, she DID speak the truth in this interview. Players have to play really well to beat her. That is a simple fact. She doesn't have significant down periods. It's like Jankovic back when she was a slam-threat; you have to play at a very high level to beat someone with that quality of counter-punching. And Wozniacki has a serve, too. She makes it hard to beat her.

This is a start. Of course she needs to respond in a way that doesn't put herself down. Yet she needs to show the results that we have yet to see. Yes she made it to the finals of the US Open but how many upcomers have done that. and where are they now?....im just sayin IMO

Is your question how many up-and-comers have made the US Open final? Well, looking back about since 1987, the # of teenagers who have made the US Open final is 9. They are (chronologically):

Steffi Graf (1987)
Gabriela Sabatini (1988)
Monica Seles (1991)
Martina Hingis (1997)
Venus Williams (1997)
Serena Williams (1999)
Svetlana Kuznetsova (2004)
Maria Sharapova (2006)
Caroline Wozniacki (2009)

So as to your question of where are they now, a few are in the Hall of Fame, and all of them (save WOzniacki) are multi slam champions,.

TheAllan
Mar 20th, 2010, 09:15 PM
I would definitely give a HOOT because as the winning player id be thinking geeze it took all of that out of my game to win this match and they played like shit. i have a lot to work on because next time we meet and she/he is on fire. im going to get blown away. that is how i would be thinking. fyi...players know their games and the standard they are at. it would be silly not to think of the better player and how they played in a loss opposed to thinking oh i played amazing my "level" is the same of serena williams (all cuz i beat her). def doesn't work like that.
I'm well aware that Petrova probably isn't expecting to have as easy a ride the next time she meets Clijsters, and it would be foolish of her if she expected her to fold in the same manner. However, I doubt she lost a second of sleep after Clijsters talked about how poorly she had played. It's up to the losing player to prove herself - and that's not done at the post-match interviews.

Lucemferre
Mar 20th, 2010, 09:15 PM
:haha:

SerenaSlam
Mar 20th, 2010, 09:22 PM
Firstly, there's a thread from the early off-season titled something like "If I didn't play so many tournaments, my ranking wouldn't be as high", which is a direct quotation from CW. She's aware of how the ranking system works.

Secondly, she DID speak the truth in this interview. Players have to play really well to beat her. That is a simple fact. She doesn't have significant down periods. It's like Jankovic back when she was a slam-threat; you have to play at a very high level to beat someone with that quality of counter-punching. And Wozniacki has a serve, too. She makes it hard to beat her.

Is your question how many up-and-comers have made the US Open final? Well, looking back about since 1987, the # of teenagers who have made the US Open final is 9. They are (chronologically):

Steffi Graf (1987)
Gabriela Sabatini (1988)
Monica Seles (1991)
Martina Hingis (1997)
Venus Williams (1997)
Serena Williams (1999)
Svetlana Kuznetsova (2004)
Maria Sharapova (2006)
Caroline Wozniacki (2009)

So as to your question of where are they now, a few are in the Hall of Fame, and all of them (save WOzniacki) are multi slam champions,.

Nice try in attempting to get me together but in trying you are proving my point! Yes players must play well inorder to be CW. This is not the case when it comes to her beating them. And that speaks to her game IMO. She does not have to play a great match inorder for her to get beat. And to be honest i really feel like an injured serena can comfortably take out CW (just my opinion)

and the point i made regarding her as an upcomer is the fact i said we have "yet to see" and yet you try and "save" her to a list of multi slam champions. CW is wonderful player and I am not taking anything away from her. But some reactions and responses I have my opinions regarding them. and they are just that. opinions. and don't get me started on "the hall of fame and the name or multi slam champions" and CW in the same sentence. Give her 10 years. if not 15

Gdsimmons
Mar 20th, 2010, 09:27 PM
Nice try in attempting to get me together but in trying you are proving my point! Yes players must play well inorder to be CW. This is not the case when it comes to her beating them. And that speaks to her game IMO. She does not have to play a great match inorder for her to get beat. And to be honest i really feel like an injured serena can comfortably take out CW (just my opinion)

and the point i made regarding her as an upcomer is the fact i said we have "yet to see" and yet you try and "save" her to a list of multi slam champions. CW is wonderful player and I am not taking anything away from her. But some reactions and responses I have my opinions regarding them. and they are just that. opinions. and don't get me started on "the hall of fame and the name or multi slam champions" and CW in the same sentence. Give her 10 years. if not 15

:worship::worship:This whole post

And the bold is a fact not a statement :)

VIKA?
Mar 20th, 2010, 09:28 PM
:rolls:

fufuqifuqishahah
Mar 20th, 2010, 09:46 PM
When you think about it, she is definitely a top 5 player right now.

there aren't many other players who you could argue are playing better than her atm: Venus, Serena, Justine (maybe Viktoria, Elena xD, but she performed better this tourney)

and Serena is out with a bum knee

and Justine w/d from Miami :O

so i guess she really is #2 xD

AnnaK_4ever
Mar 20th, 2010, 10:28 PM
When you think about it, she is definitely a top 5 player right now.

there aren't many other players who you could argue are playing better than her atm: Venus, Serena, Justine (maybe Viktoria, Elena xD, but she performed better this tourney)

and Serena is out with a bum knee

and Justine w/d from Miami :O

so i guess she really is #2 xD

So, just because she reached final at IW having defeated no-one of note we should ignore her pre-QF losses at Sydney, Australian Open and Dubai?

And, btw, where did you get an idea of Justine withdrawing from Miami?

JJPower
Mar 20th, 2010, 10:29 PM
People who follow tennis for few years now know the value of this interview. Yes, rankings are screwed but almost ALL of former top 10 and big part of current top 10, and GOOD tennis players beat her easily. Ok, Lena had problems with her, but when you figure out Lena's game, you can bagel her. Wozniacki can rise only by how much others allow it really. She doesn't cut her way, she doesn't BEAT people to get the spot, she cruises trough rankings and now she thinks she is great. Good, maybe she will be some day, but now she is just lucky.

JJ, still in slump, will prove this tomorrow.

fufuqifuqishahah
Mar 20th, 2010, 10:37 PM
So, just because she reached final at IW having defeated no-one of note we should ignore her pre-QF losses at Sydney, Australian Open and Dubai?

And, btw, where did you get an idea of Justine withdrawing from Miami?

remind me to smash my head into a fence

Jorn
Mar 20th, 2010, 11:34 PM
You're great player to be here... ;)

http://caroline-wozniacki.info/34rzvj7.jpg

Serena y Monica
Mar 21st, 2010, 12:12 AM
eventhough i dont agree with it..i think any player would say that about themselves when theyre playing in a premier final, i mean who wouldnt??:shrug:

I'm not too sure she believes it either. I wish her all the best though. And after seeing what holding an empty #1 did to Ana Jelena and Dinara...I hope she doesn't get there until others believe she's a great player and the press isn't hounding her about her merit.

Serena y Monica
Mar 21st, 2010, 12:13 AM

This is a lucky player...the great player is holding the cup...not the plate.

Mary Cherry.
Mar 21st, 2010, 12:15 AM
You've gotta be pretty great to be ranked #2 in the world, no matter what your profession.

goldenlox
Mar 21st, 2010, 12:40 AM
She is the most accomplished player younger than Ivanovic, and moving to #2
Why shouldn't she feel great about that?

Serena y Monica
Mar 21st, 2010, 12:45 AM
You've gotta be pretty great to be ranked #2 in the world, no matter what your profession.t

This is a useless arguement. I think she's a good player...she's not a great player but maybe she can be. She has 5 more tournaments (I think) than anyone else in the top ten...(which has aided her rise to #2) more importantly how can anyone wish for her what happened to Jelena and Dinara. The press constantly hounding them about their hollow #1. Looks like she's getting it already as she has to defend being #2. So what ever...

debby
Mar 21st, 2010, 12:50 AM

So Marion Bartoli is as great as Caroline?

http://www.lequipe.fr/Xml/Tennis/Dossiers/Media/0707_venus_bartoli_r.jpg

Caro is a very good player, but she is not great yet. I mean, IMO, a great player is Clijsters-like at least.

KournikovaFan91
Mar 21st, 2010, 01:39 AM
She deserves all her success :worships:

frenchie
Mar 21st, 2010, 01:51 AM

So something like 60 or 70 players played their worst matches against her last year :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Seriously, you're getting even more predictable than Dementieva's BH:o:o

Danii's Law
Mar 21st, 2010, 02:11 AM
I love it how everyone keeps saying that results don't lie and how she's amazing and deserves it, but when Jankovic or Safina's results get them to world number 1 everyone hates on them and says they are undeserving.

Slutiana
Mar 21st, 2010, 02:18 AM
I love it how everyone keeps saying that results don't lie and how she's amazing and deserves it, but when Jankovic or Safina's results get them to world number 1 everyone hates on them and says they are undeserving.
WELL SAID.

spencercarlos
Mar 21st, 2010, 03:22 AM
She is the Safina of 2010.

Its not her fault that the asses of players like Kuznetsova, Venus, Dementieva are not performing as good and as consistent as her.

Despite i dont like much of her game, i like her attitude, and she is a warrior out there, so pretty much she deserves anything she´s earned. She is a better but similar version of what Coetzer was.

Roookie
Mar 21st, 2010, 03:24 AM
Caro :woohoo:

number one :drive:

kman
Mar 21st, 2010, 03:30 AM

She started slow in 2008 and 2009 as well and both years ended up being great seasons for her. In fact, she got further at the AO this year than previous years and now she's already in a premier final. Again, at an earlier point than she was last year and last year was a GREAT season for her.

kman
Mar 21st, 2010, 03:35 AM
So something like 60 or 70 players played their worst matches against her last year :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Seriously, you're getting even more predictable than Dementieva's BH:o:o

:lol::lol:

kman
Mar 21st, 2010, 03:39 AM
This is a lucky player...the great player is holding the cup...not the plate.

The great player just lost 6-0 6-1 to Petrova while the lucky player bagelled Petrova out of IW.

:lol:

They're both great players as far as I'm concerned. Clijsters has a slightly higher peak level but also a much lower bottom level. Losing 6-0 6-1 to Petrova is almost an achievement in itself.

Valanga
Mar 21st, 2010, 03:45 AM
The great player just lost 6-0 6-1 to Petrova while the lucky player bagelled Petrova out of IW.

They're both great players as far as I'm concerned. Clijsters has a slightly higher peak level but also a much lower bottom level. Losing 6-0 6-1 to Petrova is almost an achievement in itself.

Who won USO 2009? Clijsters. That's the difference

DimaDinosaur
Mar 21st, 2010, 03:48 AM
welll she's not bad at all. I started playing like her, but with a bigger serve, but pushes most of the time and it's working. I beat someone i never beat 6-3 6-0 and then the second match 6-0 6-0

moby
They're both great players as far as I'm concerned. Clijsters has a slightly higher peak level but also a much lower bottom level. Losing 6-0 6-1 to Petrova is almost an achievement in itself.Kim has a much higher peak level. Next.

twight6
First, I'd like to point out that Wozniacki isn't American... When she says "great," I know I interpret the word as amazing, one of the best of all time, greatest ever, an incredible player, etc... But to her it might just be another adjective, like say, one that's better than "good." And, clearly, to even be in the top 10 you have to be better than "good." So she could've just used the word "great" loosely, and a lot of people are overracting by interpreting it as "best of all time" :shrug:

And, second, props to her for being confident. I agree that she isn't truly the 2nd best player in the world, but obviously she is one of the best to win consistently, and even if she doesn't beat the "best" players she still steps it up otherwise :shrug:

Also, her game this tournament looks very good, better than I've seen it in a long time. Who knows, if she keeps improving, she might be "great" :shrug:

kman
Mar 21st, 2010, 03:52 AM
Who won USO 2009? Clijsters. That's the difference

Who lost to Petrova 6-0 6-1? Clijsters.

It goes with what I'm saying:

"Clijsters has a slightly higher peak level but also a much lower bottom level."

Slightly higher peak level equals out with much lower bottom level

You can compare slam count when Caroline is Clijsters' age.

Bronx19
Mar 21st, 2010, 03:53 AM
You dont play 90 odd games on a year and end up number two, being a shit player, do you?

kman
Mar 21st, 2010, 03:54 AM
First, I'd like to point out that Wozniacki isn't American... When she says "great," I know I interpret the word as amazing, one of the best of all time, greatest ever, an incredible player, etc... But to her it might just be another adjective, like say, one that's better than "good." And, clearly, to even be in the top 10 you have to be better than "good." So she could've just used the word "great" loosely, and a lot of people are overracting by interpreting it as "best of all time" :shrug:

This.

Valanga
Mar 21st, 2010, 03:54 AM

"Clijsters has a slightly higher peak level but also a much lower bottom level."

but the thing is clijsters is a multiple slam winner. Wozniacki is just a one-time GS finalist. It's just stupid to put them together as great players - in fact, a loss to petrova 06 16 means nothing. How did wozniacki play against na li then?

kman
Mar 21st, 2010, 03:59 AM
but the thing is clijsters is a multiple slam winner. Wozniacki is just a one-time GS finalist. It's just stupid to put them together as great players - in fact, a loss to petrova 06 16 means nothing. How did wozniacki play against na li then?

Clijsters is greater right now, because Caroline is still in the infancy of her career.

Still, they're both great players as far as I'm concerned.

I think twight6 hit the nail on the head regarding the term "great". The word is broadly defined and can mean everything from "very good" to "exceptionally outstanding".

Caroline never said she was an exceptionally outstanding player and I doubt she would consider herself that.

No reason to get your panties in a bunch.

twight6
Mar 21st, 2010, 04:02 AM

And Sharapova lost to Davenport 6-0 6-0 and she's a multi-slam winner!! :D

(sorry, this was completely unrelated... I just have to bring it up :angel: :lol: )

fantic
Mar 21st, 2010, 04:38 AM

But I thought Petrova was amazing that day against Kim. Didn't make much mistakes... :lol:

Dunlop1
Mar 21st, 2010, 04:47 AM
welll she's not bad at all. I started playing like her, but with a bigger serve, but pushes most of the time and it's working. I beat someone i never beat 6-3 6-0 and then the second match 6-0 6-0

Ugh, Now Caro is inspiring club players to push.
Caro is bad for tennis.
Caro is evil.
Save tennis. Beat the pusher!

moby
Mar 21st, 2010, 04:49 AM
Ugh, Now Caro is inspiring club players to push.
Caro is bad for tennis.
Caro is evil.
Save tennis. Beat the pusher!IKR. Help. She's going to inspire a generation of pushernnabes.
That said, I'm pretty good at pushing myself. :o

kman
Mar 21st, 2010, 04:50 AM

haha, well done!

Craig.
Mar 21st, 2010, 05:03 AM

This shit is hilarious :lol:

OsloErik
Mar 21st, 2010, 07:38 AM

Basically we're in agreement, just saying it differently: She's got a future. I'm confused by one sentence that I just don't understand, and I'd rather make sure I get it than go off for a while on something completely irrelevant. What do you mean by "She does not have to play a great match inorder for her to get beat." Isn't that always the case? You don't have to play a great match to lose? I'm just not sure I followed that.

Here's my main problem with your idea: why is Wozniacki's hypothetical matchup with Serena going to matter in five years when Serena is retired and Wozniacki is in her mid-20s? In about four or five years, there will be an entire tour that doesn't have to beat Serena to win anything. Wozniacki, today, has put herself into the front-seat of that group. That's great. The list of players that have put themselves at the forefront of their generation is awfully short.

As to your last three sentences, I will get you started. CW has, independently of any sports writer or opinion journalist, put herself into the same sentence as multi-slam champions. OBVIOUSLY she's not there yet (...no slams, so...obviously), but she's the most recent member of a very, very elite group. EVERY teenager to reach the US Open final in the Open Era has won a slam. And then there's Wozniacki, who just did it five months ago.

I don't think we actually disagree with this, but you have a very, very high standard for what constitutes "great" for a 19 year old who, frankly, a lot of people didn't anticipate having a terrific professional career. She hasn't had the great results that Serena or Graf or Seles had when they broke through, but she's had comparable or better results than the rest of her similar-aged players.

sandv1
Mar 21st, 2010, 07:47 AM
She carried herself well when she lost to Ana at the AO a few years back, and Caro's still maintained that same upbeat attitude ever since from what I've seen and heard. I'm glad she's on tour. :yeah:

Nikkiri
Mar 21st, 2010, 07:48 AM
Good for her. She has a great attitude.

Tenis Srbija
Mar 21st, 2010, 08:22 AM

:lol::lol::lol:

Joe.
Mar 21st, 2010, 09:21 AM
Delusional

delusional? you dont get to number 2 in the whole world unless youre a great player :rolleyes:

Tenis Srbija
Mar 21st, 2010, 09:42 AM
delusional? you dont get to number 2 in the whole world unless youre a great player :rolleyes:

You do know there is a BIIIIIG difference between being GOOD and being GREAT player???

gociku
Mar 21st, 2010, 09:49 AM
Wozniacki is not only arrogant but also delusional. Win slams first and then talk about your greatness. Champions and slam winners like Myskina, Kuznetsova, Ivanovic...never talked such crap.
Hopefully she'll get a nice thrashing today :)

changel
Mar 21st, 2010, 09:54 AM
no u are not.

Joe.
Mar 21st, 2010, 10:00 AM
You do know there is a BIIIIIG difference between being GOOD and being GREAT player???

yes.

kman
Mar 21st, 2010, 10:07 AM

Here's one dictionary definition of the word "great"

-adj
wonderful; first-rate; very good

Here's another:

-adj
notable; remarkable; exceptionally outstanding

So obviously "great" can mean everything from "very good" to "exceptionally outstanding".

Why do you assume that Caroline is using the second definition?

When in another recent interview she said she still has a lot of improvement to make.

If she was arrogant, she wouldn't be so well-liked among the other players. Even Serena Williams loves her. And they've met her, talked to her and and shared space with her. You haven't.

Sexysova
Mar 21st, 2010, 10:08 AM
:)

terjw
Mar 21st, 2010, 10:13 AM
Wozniacki is not only arrogant but also delusional. Win slams first and then talk about your greatness. Champions and slam winners like Myskina, Kuznetsova, Ivanovic...never talked such crap.
Hopefully she'll get a nice thrashing today :)

No she isn't arrogant or delusional.

The word "great" has many varieties of meaning and is used in lots of different senses in different contexts. As far as what Caro said - I'm sure she said it in the sense she feels she is playing great and is difficult to beat. That's all. Quite simple really. I don't think for a moment she's claiming she's great in the a la the elite company of Graf, Nav, Evert or claiming she belongs in the HOF.

This is a nice positive attitude from Caro focusimg on the fact that she isn't easy to beat - but that's all it is. We should not go down the road of reading anything any more into it or analysing too deeply and to the nth degreee the exact meaning and interpreattion of any particular word and claiming any interpretation you makie is what she meant.

Tenis Srbija
Mar 21st, 2010, 10:13 AM
Here's one dictionary definition of the word "great"

-adj
wonderful; first-rate; very good

Here's another:

-adj
notable; remarkable; exceptionally outstanding

So obviously "great" can mean everything from "very good" to "exceptionally outstanding".

Why do you assume that Caroline is using the second definition?

When in another recent interview she said she still has a lot of improvement to make.

If she was arrogant, she wouldn't be so well-liked among the other players. Even Serena Williams loves her. And they've met her, talked to her and and shared space with her. You haven't.

No, I didn't say Hey CAROLINE do you know the difference... I quoted a post here.
First jump, then say hop :wavey:

kman
Mar 21st, 2010, 10:16 AM
No, I didn't say Hey CAROLINE do you know the difference... I quoted a post here.
First jump, then say hop :wavey:

You said "You do know there's BIIIIIIG difference between good and great"

I'm showing you that it depends entirely on the what definition of "great" you're using....

If you're using "great" as meaning "very good", then there's not a BIIIIIG difference between good and great.

Slutiana
Mar 21st, 2010, 10:32 AM

:spit::spit: "slightly". Pure hilarity. :haha:
This shit is hilarious :lol:
For realz. :rolls:
Basically we're in agreement, just saying it differently: She's got a future. I'm confused by one sentence that I just don't understand, and I'd rather make sure I get it than go off for a while on something completely irrelevant. What do you mean by "She does not have to play a great match inorder for her to get beat." Isn't that always the case? You don't have to play a great match to lose? I'm just not sure I followed that.

Here's my main problem with your idea: why is Wozniacki's hypothetical matchup with Serena going to matter in five years when Serena is retired and Wozniacki is in her mid-20s? In about four or five years, there will be an entire tour that doesn't have to beat Serena to win anything. Wozniacki, today, has put herself into the front-seat of that group. That's great. The list of players that have put themselves at the forefront of their generation is awfully short.

As to your last three sentences, I will get you started. CW has, independently of any sports writer or opinion journalist, put herself into the same sentence as multi-slam champions. OBVIOUSLY she's not there yet (...no slams, so...obviously), but she's the most recent member of a very, very elite group. EVERY teenager to reach the US Open final in the Open Era has won a slam. And then there's Wozniacki, who just did it five months ago.

I don't think we actually disagree with this, but you have a very, very high standard for what constitutes "great" for a 19 year old who, frankly, a lot of people didn't anticipate having a terrific professional career. She hasn't had the great results that Serena or Graf or Seles had when they broke through, but she's had comparable or better results than the rest of her similar-aged players.
How many teenagers who reached slam finals played in the same style as Wozniacki? How many teenagers reached the US Open final through the virtue of the tour pretty much crumbling around them?

Dandy_Warhol
Mar 21st, 2010, 10:39 AM
http://i40.tinypic.com/e88fok.jpg

i'm not even a big fan but that's a good answer.

Tenis Srbija
Mar 21st, 2010, 10:55 AM
You said "You do know there's BIIIIIIG difference between good and great"

I'm showing you that it depends entirely on the what definition of "great" you're using....

If you're using "great" as meaning "very good", then there's not a BIIIIIG difference between good and great.

From what I wrote only an idiot would get that I was meanin "very good" when I wrote "great". I surely didn't mean to write that there is a big difference between good and very good player :rolleyes:

AnnaK_4ever
Mar 21st, 2010, 10:57 AM
She is the most accomplished player younger than Ivanovic

I'm sorry but this just cracked me up... :lol:

kman
Mar 21st, 2010, 11:03 AM
From what I wrote only an idiot would get that I was meanin "very good" when I wrote "great". I surely didn't mean to write that there is a big difference between good and very good player :rolleyes:

Person writes: "delusional? you dont get to number 2 in the whole world unless youre a great player"

And then you responds to that with

"You do know there is a BIIIIIG difference between being GOOD and being GREAT player???"

You were obviously assuming that the person you responded to meant something other than "very good" when (s)he used the word "great" which is a stupid assumption to make given what I've just shown you.

Likewise, Caroline most likely didn't mean "exceptionally outstanding" when she used the word "great" about herself. Merely "very good". In which case she would be correct.

MaBaker
Mar 21st, 2010, 11:36 AM
http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-sick029.gif (http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys.php)

Sharpie4me
Mar 21st, 2010, 11:40 AM
Disgusting delusional pusher.
Vomit!

TS
Mar 21st, 2010, 11:40 AM
Caroline continues to break the hearts of retarded posters on TF on a weekly basis. That makes me happy.

Go you GREAT player you :hearts:

Renalicious
Mar 21st, 2010, 12:04 PM
She's right. :shrug: But it changes when she gets to No. 1. :lol:

Svetlana)))
Mar 21st, 2010, 12:17 PM
http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-sick029.gif (http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys.php)

stop it! :happy:

TennisFan66
Mar 21st, 2010, 01:21 PM
From reading this thread, most haters blame Caroline for saying 'I think I am a great player' rather than 'I think I am a good player'?

My Gud. Do you people have lives at all? .. ANYONE in the Top 10 are GREAT players IMHO.

Matt01
Mar 21st, 2010, 01:25 PM
I'm sorry but this just cracked me up... :lol:

Well, your foolish threads and posts are cracking me up all the time.

Caro is he #2 player in the world. She has reached a Slam final and has just reached another big tour final. Of course she is a great player. I don't like her playing style that much either but at least I give credit where credit is due.

And this thread is just another bashing attempt by you.

TennisFan66
Mar 21st, 2010, 01:25 PM
No she isn't arrogant or delusional.

The word "great" has many varieties of meaning and is used in lots of different senses in different contexts. As far as what Caro said - I'm sure she said it in the sense she feels she is playing great and is difficult to beat. That's all. Quite simple really. I don't think for a moment she's claiming she's great in the a la the elite company of Graf, Nav, Evert or claiming she belongs in the HOF.

This is a nice positive attitude from Caro focusimg on the fact that she isn't easy to beat - but that's all it is. We should not go down the road of reading anything any more into it or analysing too deeply and to the nth degreee the exact meaning and interpreattion of any particular word and claiming any interpretation you makie is what she meant.

Bless you. I'd almost given up on finding intelligent life forms on TF.

goldenlox
Mar 21st, 2010, 01:26 PM
I remember reading the Kournikova and Hingis quotes when they were young and upcoming.
When you are making serious money and your ranking is going up, you feel good about yourself.
It's not that hard to understand.

FormerlyKnownAs
Mar 21st, 2010, 02:19 PM

Bless you. I'd almost given up on finding intelligent life forms on TF.

Don't give up, its like looking for water on Mars, its very difficult, time consuming, expensive and nobody has succeeded yet, but hey who knows you might be the first and get a Nobel Prize for microscopic life forms.

FormerlyKnownAs
Mar 21st, 2010, 02:36 PM

And, second, props to her for being confident. I agree that she isn't truly the 2nd best player in the world, but obviously she is one of the best to win consistently, and even if she doesn't beat the "best" players she still steps it up otherwise :shrug:

Also, her game this tournament looks very good, better than I've seen it in a long time. Who knows, if she keeps improving, she might be "great" :shrug:

You post is very relevant, BUT you forgot that there are many other forms for English (UK, GB, Aus, NZ, South Africa etc etc) outside USA, and for that matter inside USA so the variations on what one means by saying "great" and how that can be interpreted are endless.

Remember it's all General Mess. hot air, what do they expect her to say
"I know I am an average player and have been very lucky in everything I have done since I was 11 and don't deserve to be #2, I will therefor donate ½ my earnings, sponsor money and points to Haiti stop playing and retire so the better players can get back where they belong."

Of course not, she has worked very hard to get where she is today and the stars have lined up, and she excepts it. Good for her.

égalité
Mar 21st, 2010, 02:55 PM
Good. If any player in the top 20 doesn't feel the exact same way about themselves, there's a problem. Believing that you belong at the top of the game is a huge part of being there.

Aravanecaravan
Mar 21st, 2010, 03:01 PM
True, but until she can show that she can beat the best players in the world, regularly and on big stages, a little modesty would serve her well.

OTOH, having the World No. 2 will be good for Ponte Vedra Beach this year.

kman
Mar 21st, 2010, 03:08 PM
True, but until she can show that she can beat the best players in the world, regularly and on big stages, a little modesty would serve her well.

OTOH, having the World No. 2 will be good for Ponte Vedra Beach this year.

Oh bitch please. Have you read her other interviews or are you making judgement based on this one statement?

Caroline has frequently said that she still has holes in her game and that she's working on improving. She's also highly complimentary of her rivals and their games and she's so well-liked by the other players for a reason.

She makes one statement that compliments herself and all the haters latches onto it like flies onto shit :lol:

Drimal
Mar 21st, 2010, 03:38 PM
At least Caroline believes in herself unlike the hundreds of choke-ova's and choke-ina's on the tour. :angel:

Cookie Power
Mar 21st, 2010, 04:03 PM
She's a great pusher.

Dumb post.

Raiden
Mar 21st, 2010, 04:04 PM
At least Caroline believes in herself unlike the hundreds of choke-ova's and choke-ina's on the tour. :angel:lol

I think the solution of that particular problem might be to send all the -ovas and -inas (and don't forget -evas) to Colorado, to the place of Martina Navratilova's mountain top S&M-bunker gym and get some of that good old ass whipping (preferebly by "mamushka" herself) that might sort at least some of them out.

Marilyn Monheaux
Mar 21st, 2010, 04:28 PM
At least Caroline believes in herself unlike the hundreds of choke-ova's and choke-ina's on the tour. :angel:

lol

I think the solution of that particular problem might be to send all the -ovas and -inas (and don't forget -evas) to Colorado, to the place of Martina Navratilova's mountain top S&M-bunker gym and get some of that good old ass whipping (preferebly by "mamushka" herself) that might sort at least some of them out.

I can't believe you didn't mention the choke-ovics and choke-arenka!:sobbing::fiery:

bhathiya9999
Mar 21st, 2010, 04:49 PM
very funny...

brent-o
Mar 21st, 2010, 07:05 PM
As we get more to know her, it's getting pretty clear she's not the altogether sweet media darling that the commentators say she is. That being said, I have no problem with that and I kind of like her bitchy edge!

Slutati
Mar 21st, 2010, 10:32 PM
Dumb post.
Girl you got banned. :lol:

Hurley
Mar 22nd, 2010, 12:29 AM

LOL. :worship:

spiritedenergy
Mar 22nd, 2010, 12:59 AM
http://www.sonyericssonwtatour.com/page/OffCourtNews/Read/0,,12781~2000078,00.html

I'm applauding her. :worship:

jealousy is a sad thing:awww: You are basically hating on every player except... anyone, you hate pretty much everyone. What should she say? No I don't deserve to be n.2 and I suck?
You should look in the mirror before spewing venom on every player.:wavey:

OsloErik
Mar 22nd, 2010, 06:16 AM
How many teenagers who reached slam finals played in the same style as Wozniacki? How many teenagers reached the US Open final through the virtue of the tour pretty much crumbling around them?

Recently? Not many. In history? A few, but not a ton.

As for your point about the 2009 US Open draw: what do you think the tour will look like in five years? Serena, Henin, Clijsters, and Venus will all likely be retired by then. That pretty much elimates players who can hijack a draw. Wozniacki has, to her credit, given herself a good look at big titles half a dozen times thus far. The more you do that, the better your odds of eventually breaking through.

I don't think ANYONE would say Wozniacki doesn't have things to work on. She has a lot of room for improvement. THe fact that she's at this level already, without a real kill shot and without a super refined game is damn impressive no matter how you cut it. People can denigrate her all day long, it doesn't change the fact that she's gotten VERY far up the rankings and deep into BIG tournaments with room to grow. I'm not sure you can say the same thing about anyone else in her generation.

Apoleb
Mar 22nd, 2010, 06:19 AM

:spit:

Wannabeknowitall
Mar 22nd, 2010, 06:26 AM
:lol: :haha: :lol: @ I'm a great player.
Start being the player that the top players prefer not to see in their part of the draw instead of the player top seeds WANT to see before you consider yourself GREAT Caroline.

PLP
Mar 22nd, 2010, 06:28 AM

What happened to Cookie??

:tape:

Sassy-Na
Mar 22nd, 2010, 06:36 AM
What happened to Cookie??

not fully baked :awww:

Jajaloo
Mar 22nd, 2010, 08:10 AM
Too cocky. Not the Caro I like to hear.

You can be confident, but you don't need to be rocking your ish all over the media. Let your tennis do the talking Caro.

burn
Mar 22nd, 2010, 08:48 AM
Of course she is. Everyone inside the top100 is a great tennis play, this is definitely true!
As long as she doesn't say: "I'm the best player", I don't care!

Petkorazzi
Mar 22nd, 2010, 08:52 AM
At least she's achieved something in order to say that...

... unlike

BRtVXZshEBc

nevetssllim
Mar 22nd, 2010, 10:09 AM
^^That interview always cracks me up! :lol: :tape:

Marilyn Monheaux
Mar 22nd, 2010, 10:20 AM
WTF!?:help:
How? Just how can she say something like that???:spit::rolls::rolls::rolls:

bandabou
Mar 22nd, 2010, 10:38 AM
Of course, she's a great player..not the best, but still great.

Nikkiri
Mar 22nd, 2010, 11:26 AM
At least she's achieved something in order to say that...

... unlike

BRtVXZshEBc

:spit:

Aravanecaravan
Mar 22nd, 2010, 12:57 PM
Oh bitch please. Have you read her other interviews or are you making judgement based on this one statement?

Caroline has frequently said that she still has holes in her game and that she's working on improving. She's also highly complimentary of her rivals and their games and she's so well-liked by the other players for a reason.

She makes one statement that compliments herself and all the haters latches onto it like flies onto shit :lol:

You should learn to read. I'm not a hater. Have never said anything remotely negative about her.

That said, if she uttered the quote attributed to her, it wasn't her most lucid moment.

doujyr
Mar 22nd, 2010, 01:15 PM
Woz has played in 3 Premier finals and 1 Slam final and failed to be competitive in any of them. Great? :lol:

Matt01
Mar 22nd, 2010, 05:44 PM
Woz has played in 3 Premier finals and 1 Slam final and failed to be competitive in any of them. Great? :lol:

Maybe it's just me but I found her to be quite competitive with Clijsters for the majority of the match...

AcesHigh
Mar 22nd, 2010, 05:46 PM
Maybe it's just me but I found her to be quite competitive with Clijsters for the majority of the match...

She was never going to beat Kim.

Btw, let's see what Caro does in time. Hopefully her game improves.

delicatecutter
Mar 22nd, 2010, 06:05 PM
LMAO. That Mayr interview is HILARIOUS! :spit: :haha:

Noctis
Mar 22nd, 2010, 06:11 PM
My phone died before i click onto Mayr's ridiculous video :hysteric: