PDA

View Full Version : If you could change a single point in tennis history, what would you change?

Six Feet Under
Mar 20th, 2010, 10:04 AM
For me it would be:

Nathalie Dechy wins the point at 6-2 6-6 (5-5) to make it 6-5 in the tb against Lindsay Davenport in the SF of the AO 2005 :tears:

Lindsay won the match 2-6 7-6(5) 6-4.

Shafanovic.
Mar 20th, 2010, 10:06 AM
i think there was a thread like this already.

nevertheless, masha's mp against serena at AO 2005 semi.

any of them :hearts: maybe 4 GS. or at least another final :hysteric:

Julian.
Mar 20th, 2010, 10:07 AM

Yeah, that! :hysteric:

Six Feet Under
Mar 20th, 2010, 10:07 AM

AO 2005 semis :hysteric:

Daniel K
Mar 20th, 2010, 10:10 AM
Hingis taking one of those match points against Capriati :(

дalex
Mar 20th, 2010, 10:12 AM
Jeca converting the third and last break/set point at 5-3 in the second set of the USO 2008 final. She had a sitter FFS! :sobbing: Serena won 6-4 7-5. :sobbing:

SIN DIOS NI LEY
Mar 20th, 2010, 10:12 AM
Cornet vs Safina in Australia

Shafanovic.
Mar 20th, 2010, 10:13 AM
JJ's SP with Rena at USO final.

Or Jie's SP against Rena at Wimbly.

BartoliBabes
Mar 20th, 2010, 10:15 AM
Jelena Dokic's first mp vs Razzano AO 06

changel
Mar 20th, 2010, 10:17 AM
AO 2005 semis :hysteric:

Yep.

Hugh.
Mar 20th, 2010, 10:21 AM
Dementieva taking the MP against Serena at Wimbledon last year.

Marilyn Monheaux
Mar 20th, 2010, 10:27 AM
Ana's MP against K-Bond, US Open 2009!:hysteric:

Ghis
Mar 20th, 2010, 10:32 AM
Monica Seles' ace on set point that was refused to her in US Open '95 final.

Safe-From-Harm
Mar 20th, 2010, 10:40 AM
USO 2008 final.
Don't need to explain much.

Sarah<Kim-fan>
Mar 20th, 2010, 10:41 AM
one of the two MP's Kim had against Serena in the AO 2003 semi final
or French Open Final 2001, Kim vs Capriati, when it was 30-30 all on Capriati's serve in the final set and Kim could have come on match point

supergrunt
Mar 20th, 2010, 10:51 AM
the foot fault that woman called against Serena last year.. I would change it so that there was no foot fault called as it should have been so that the players could have decided the match

hdfb
Mar 20th, 2010, 10:58 AM
Hingis taking one of those match points against Capriati :(

This. :sobbing: :sobbing: This is a match I don't think I could watch again...

Svetlana)))
Mar 20th, 2010, 10:58 AM
Can i have 3?
04/05 RG, mp against Myskina and Henin. Also 09 AO, serving 5-3 30-40 that sitter for a volley. :hysteric:

babsi
Mar 20th, 2010, 11:00 AM
None of the players are my favourites in the matches I have listed but I have always wondered what might have been if the matches had gone the other way:
1.Serena Williams vs Kim Clijsters US Open 1999, I don't think Kim ever had match point but she was serving for the match - imagine if Kim had won the match. It wouldn't have just changed things for the 2 players but others, Hingis is the big one in my mind, she could have have the whole thing.

2.Jennifer Capriati vs Corina Morariu Australian Open 2001, Morariu had a matchpoint, if she had won what would have happened to Capriati? Would she have kept plugging and again someone else would have had a chance of winning - probably Hingis or Davenport.

Londoner
Mar 20th, 2010, 11:03 AM

I was wondering if anyone would mention this one as it was a real horror call. Steffi is my fave player ever but I do think Monica was robbed on that point. Also, if Monica had won that point it may have changed a bit of history as I think Monica was really badly affected by that match.

Pops Maellard
Mar 20th, 2010, 11:08 AM
Dementieva VS Serena Wimbledon 09 SF. Either of the following would be changed:

A) Dementieva hits the passing shot DTL instead of back at Serena.

B) The let-cord volley Serena did to save MP would've gone into the net instead.

Londoner
Mar 20th, 2010, 11:09 AM
I have a few:

1. Seles' set point call 95 US Open final. A real howler of a call with quite sad consequences.
2. Foot Fault against Serena 09 US Open. If they have challenges for line calls why not foot faults?
3. Aussie Open final when Justine was allowed to call Kim's shot out.
4. Serena/Capriati US open quarter final - several really bad calls against Serena that day.
5. Hingis 99 French Open. Hingis was right, the ball was well inside the line. Had that point been called correctly the outcome of that final would have been very very different. Steffi got lucky again!!
6. And of course 'the hand incident' at Roland Garros - say no more!

cehowardrx7
Mar 20th, 2010, 11:12 AM
The FOOT FAULT at the US OPEN against Serena.. That was just plain wrong!!

Caralenko
Mar 20th, 2010, 11:16 AM
Dementieva goes down the line for a winner to reach her first (and probably last) ever Wimbledon final :tears:

gmak
Mar 20th, 2010, 11:18 AM
Wimbledon SF 2009 :sad: :sad:
if only Lena had gone down the line on MP :tears:

AO SF 2005
on one of those MPs Maria hit a 1st serve that was 1-2 inches out :(

WIMBLEDON F 2005
if only Venus's BH had gone long or into the net on MP :angel:

A0 F 2004
Sandra de Jenken :mad: :fiery: overruling Kim's shot on the line
at 3-4 40-AD

Londoner
Mar 20th, 2010, 11:19 AM
Dementieva goes down the line for a winner to reach her first (and probably last) ever Wimbledon final :tears:

Yes, who dares wins. Poor Elena, and Venus was under par in the final too so it really could have been Elena's moment. But it just goes to show why some people are champions and others never quite make it.

Beny
Mar 20th, 2010, 11:28 AM

THIS :hearts: :sad:

Talula
Mar 20th, 2010, 11:58 AM

This.

Talula
Mar 20th, 2010, 12:00 PM
I was wondering if anyone would mention this one as it was a real horror call. Steffi is my fave player ever but I do think Monica was robbed on that point. Also, if Monica had won that point it may have changed a bit of history as I think Monica was really badly affected by that match.

Yes, had Monica won that point her career would probably have taken a totally different turn. I don't think she ever really recovered, particularly given Steffi's reaction on winning the match - one of the worst displays of poor sportsmanship I've seen.

sasha&tennis
Mar 20th, 2010, 12:13 PM
I have a few:

1. Seles' set point call 95 US Open final. A real howler of a call with quite sad consequences.
2. Foot Fault for line against Serena 09 US Open. If they have challenges calls why not foot faults?
4. Serena/Capriati US open quarter final - several really bad calls against Serena that day.
5. Hingis 99 French Open. Hingis was right, the ball was well inside the line. Had that point been called correctly the outcome of that final would have been very very different. Steffi got lucky again!!
6. And of course 'the hand incident' at Roland Garros - say no more!

The ones in red above &
Wimbledon final 2004 Serena vs Sharapova
Wimbledon final 2009 Venus vs Serena
Any match that Venus has lost:angel:
Indian Wells 2009 Ana Ivanovic vs Zvonereva
Australian Open 2008 Ana Ivanovic vs Sharapova
Roland Garros 2007 Ana Ivanovic vs Henin
All of the Quarters Serena lost to Henin.

I will stop here but I could really go on and on.

Feyd
Mar 20th, 2010, 12:18 PM
The ones in red above &
Wimbledon final 2004 Serena vs Sharapova
Wimbledon final 2009 Venus vs Serena
Any match that Venus has lost:angel:
Indian Wells 2009 Ana Ivanovic vs Zvonereva
Australian Open 2008 Ana Ivanovic vs Sharapova
Roland Garros 2007 Ana Ivanovic vs Henin
All of the Quarters Serena lost to Henin.

I will stop here but I could really go on and on.

You are allowed to change a single point not the whole match.

Anyway for me
Sharapova-Henin AO 06 - SF.
Change one of the break point or the hold point in the 3rd set where Maria was screwed by two bad linecalls.

babsi
Mar 20th, 2010, 03:12 PM
If Maria had taken the match against Serena at the AO in 2005 I would have bet my life on her winning the final against Mrs Leach. Who knows what could have happened afterwards.

petkoan
Mar 20th, 2010, 03:24 PM
Rg 1999

serenafan08
Mar 20th, 2010, 03:27 PM
Serena vs. Jcap @ the US Open in 2004 - y'all know what point I'm talking about. :mad::fiery:

No Name Face
Mar 20th, 2010, 03:27 PM

As much as I love Serena, this.
Although she would have lost to Venus and I prefer Serena to win Wimbledon, so I'm conflicted.

jefrilibra
Mar 20th, 2010, 03:28 PM
Well changing a single point would be = changing the eventual outcome of the match.

I remember watching this match. I was 8!

Gabriella Sabatini v Steffi Graf Wimbledon Final 1991

Graf won 6–4, 3–6, 8–6, despite the fact that Sabatini served for the match on more than one occasion. If only she'd converted one of those points!

Sabatini was on a roll that year and had won five tournaments in the first half of the year

Gut wrenching!

VishaalMaria
Mar 20th, 2010, 03:29 PM
Most of these points are against Serena Williams.

Just goes to show how much of a mental GOAT she is.

pt1989
Mar 20th, 2010, 03:36 PM
Aussie 2009, Vee in 2nd round. I used to think that was the best chance for Vee to win in Aussie:(

toby345
Mar 20th, 2010, 04:37 PM
2008 RG 4r: Maria 7-6 5-3 MP versus Safina.. This was heartbreaking for me.. she could have used this one or won the f*cking tiebreak (5-2 up).. :hysteric::hysteric::crying2::crying2:

Jedna je Jelena
Mar 20th, 2010, 04:54 PM
us open semifinal,JJ vs Justine when Jelena was point away from leading 5:2 in the second set and then she started a fight with judge !

Acinolbaj
Mar 20th, 2010, 04:57 PM
Australian Open 2008, Hantuchova - Ivanovic semifinal.

:sobbing: Daniela

Sammo
Mar 20th, 2010, 04:58 PM
Roland Garros 1999, I wish Hingis had defeated Graf :( , probably if Martina had reached 30-0 she would have won...

miffedmax
Mar 20th, 2010, 05:01 PM
Dementieva VS Serena Wimbledon 09 SF. Either of the following would be changed:

A) Dementieva hits the passing shot DTL instead of back at Serena.

B) The let-cord volley Serena did to save MP would've gone into the net instead.

Either of these.

Lena is kind of stupid sometimes, but she's also fucking cursed, I swear.

Ferg
Mar 20th, 2010, 05:01 PM
I think it wouldve been interesting if Jie had taken that SP against Serena in Wimbledon 08. Serena still probably wouldve won, but still!

harloo
Mar 20th, 2010, 05:08 PM

:haha::haha:Serena is so mentally tough. If you get a match point against her during a slam you better take it otherwise she'll come up with the goods.

skanky~skanketta
Mar 20th, 2010, 05:11 PM
I have a few:

2. Foot Fault against Serena 09 US Open. If they have challenges for line calls why not foot faults?
6. And of course 'the hand incident' at Roland Garros - say no more! Kim's ball was not "plum on the line". Fact is it was more out than it was in and ANY player would have argued that it was out. It's not more different than Monica's ace on set point. Just because you dislike a player does not make what they do wrong.
And Justine did NOT call it. All she did was look at the umpire and indicate. The umpire agreed it was out.

roelc
Mar 20th, 2010, 05:17 PM
Fact is it was more out than it was in

it doesn't work like that. or it is in, or it is out. it can't be "more out than in".

Kworb
Mar 20th, 2010, 05:18 PM
IMO Elena's MP wasn't an easy shot like people assume. The ball was quite low and to have gone down the line would've been very risky.

I still would've changed a point in that match though.

200S6j6vZWY

At 00:25 I would've moved Serena's shot a centimeter to the right.

Richie's
Mar 20th, 2010, 05:19 PM
Australian Open 2008, Hantuchova - Ivanovic semifinal.

:sobbing: Daniela

it was 6-0 3-6 4-4 (30-40) and the ball never passed the net after dani's volley. so i will give that point to dani.

danieln1
Mar 20th, 2010, 05:21 PM
Venus throwing that backhand in the stands or at the net at match point in Wimbledon 2005 FINAL against Lindsay... and not throwing a fucking winner!

muniu
Mar 20th, 2010, 05:29 PM
Wimbledon SF 2009 :sad: :sad:
if only Lena had gone down the line on MP :tears:

AO SF 2005
on one of those MPs Maria hit a 1st serve that was 1-2 inches out :(

WIMBLEDON F 2005
if only Venus's BH had gone long or into the net on MP :angel:

A0 F 2004
Sandra de Jenken :mad: :fiery: overruling Kim's shot on the line
at 3-4 40-AD

this. :bigcry:
henin's reaction :mad:

doktor
Mar 20th, 2010, 05:33 PM
only one... seles set point in USO 95 first set tiebreak... ACE!

VishaalMaria
Mar 20th, 2010, 05:35 PM
this. :bigcry:
henin's reaction :mad:

Kim didn't do herself any favours for basically trying to paint the line. She had the WHOLE court open to hit into. Justine wasn't superwoman to have got that sort of shot back, as she was jammed all the way to Kims left.

And, even though I didn't like Henins reaction i.e. "It was out, it was Ouuuut", it was the umpires call who, incidentally, was closest to the line IIRC.

skanky~skanketta
Mar 20th, 2010, 05:42 PM
it doesn't work like that. or it is in, or it is out. it can't be "more out than in". I'm talking about the view with the naked eye. It looked out. The only reason why the haters keep going on and on is because hawkeye may have shown otherwise. Fact is, it wasn't even clear on hawkeye. Like I said earlier, ANY player would have argued that call. It would have been stupid not too. Everyone is just pissed that the umpire seemed to "take Justine's side" when she actually made the call on her own. I mean, let's give the umpire a little credit here, they know how to do their jobs.

tennnisfannn
Mar 20th, 2010, 06:15 PM
YEC Kim vs Lindsay 2002, bad call against on mp, forced to play the tie break when she had already won the match, injured her knoee and was out for almost a year.

mboyle
Mar 20th, 2010, 06:23 PM
J Cap gets to match point against Seles at 5-4 in the third set. I think she would have won the tournament and then not lost the entire 1990s. But one point isn't enough to change that.

Sharapova winning a match point against Serena Oz 05 would have probably made her a more dominant player. She hasn't been the same since, really. But who knows how she would have played against Davenport?

Thus, it seems obvious to me that, if I am changing only one point, it would have to be a match point in a grand slam final. I would have given Hingis a 6-4; 6-3 victory over JCap in the 02 Aussie. She played well enough to win, and what has happened since that tournament is tragic for all of tennis. Winning a sixth slam would have given her the confidence to keep playing a few more years.

Steffica Greles
Mar 20th, 2010, 06:27 PM
J Cap gets to match point against Seles at 5-4 in the third set. I think she would have won the tournament and then not lost the entire 1990s. But one point isn't enough to change that.

Sharapova winning a match point against Serena Oz 05 would have probably made her a more dominant player. She hasn't been the same since, really. But who knows how she would have played against Davenport?

Thus, it seems obvious to me that, if I am changing only one point, it would have to be a match point in a grand slam final. I would have given Hingis a 6-4; 6-3 victory over JCap in the 02 Aussie. She played well enough to win, and what has happened since that tournament is tragic for all of tennis. Winning a sixth slam would have given her the confidence to keep playing a few more years.

Three very good picks.

Another one would have been Seles' ace (I still think it was an ace, on balance) to win the first set in the 1995 US Open final against Graf - except it was overruled and called out. Seles went on to lose that set, and eventually the match. Seles' record up to that time having won the first set was terrifying...

Had it been called good, I think she might well have won that match, and who knows, lost weight and resumed her dominance. We can't know that, of course, but I think with memories of being 'successful' after missing 27 months of her career, I think she'd have been more resilient and motivated later on.

Gdsimmons
Mar 20th, 2010, 06:34 PM

Took the words right out my mouth.

I have a couple

1. The point where 'the hand' happened. I believe it was break point Serena
2. The numerous ATROCIOUS calls @ the US Open, Serena v J Cap
3. The point where Serna was about to go up double break point @ the french last year
4. And of course that DAMN foot fault last year. Still gets me:mad::mad:

Robert-KimClijst
Mar 20th, 2010, 06:52 PM
one of the two MP's Kim had against Serena in the AO 2003 semi final
or French Open Final 2001, Kim vs Capriati, when it was 30-30 all on Capriati's serve in the final set and Kim could have come on match point

Or that awful overrule in the 2004 Australian Open final against Justine. The swinging forehand called in before Sandra de Jenken called it out. :o

LDVTennis
Mar 21st, 2010, 02:57 AM
Yes, had Monica won that point her career would probably have taken a totally different turn. I don't think she ever really recovered, particularly given Steffi's reaction on winning the match - one of the worst displays of poor sportsmanship I've seen.

Steffi dropped her racquet and walked a few steps to her friend's box, where she clasped hands with her coach and mother. She then jogged to the net to shake Monica's hand.

It is NOT like Steffi picked up a bouquet of roses and started throwing them at the crowd. Now, who did that? --- :lol::lol::lol:

benji48
Mar 21st, 2010, 09:21 AM
One of Mary's matchs points against Zvonareva ...

Joe.
Mar 21st, 2010, 09:25 AM
Masha's mp in AO '05 :(
Paszek's mp in AO '08, i feel if she had won this match she wouldnt have gone into a slump :(
Keothavong RG '09, she was 0-40 on safinas serve and had so many game points and still couldnt win a game :sad:
Masha in the AO '07 final, i wish she had hit serena harder with that smash :unsure:

changel
Mar 21st, 2010, 10:26 AM
Masha in the AO '07 final, i wish she had hit serena harder with that smash :unsure:

Soooooooo true :lol::lol:

olympus28
Mar 21st, 2010, 01:12 PM
Kim vs Venus uso 2005 quarter Venus leads 6-4 5-5 adv! she missed the volley
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFK_mU36wHE at 6:15 :sad: :sad:

After that she fell apart..

SerenaSlam
Mar 21st, 2010, 02:18 PM
im reading these posts and im thinking did this thread not say if you could change a SINGLE POINT in a match. a good number of yall are positing changes in an ENTIRE MATCH....wtf? lol! wtaworld = bad readers. never fails

burn
Mar 21st, 2010, 04:26 PM
Serena's foot fault point at the US Open 2009..! :sad:

MakarovaFan
Mar 21st, 2010, 05:14 PM
Well in terms of significance and possible history changing.....
AO 05 SF Sharapova Vs Serena Williams........had Maria converted one of the 3 match poitns not only could that have propelled her to dominance and changed the course of her career but moreso despite being an amazing adversity player and fighter i believe it would have actually hurt Serena. Imagine thats 3 losses in a row in Major F/SF to this new kid ,she would have become even more of an afterthought and would have lost some confidence because this was the event that kind of signified a change in her career....from the dominant Serena to the fighter/grinder Serena who peaked at the big events, so obviously having not grinded that out who knows how that would have hurt her
AO 02 F J Cap Vs Hingis.....obviously for the sake of adding another slam to her count and giving her some belief that she could still do it
Wimbledon 05 F Davenport VS Williams....oddly enough moreso for Venus as this was the match that kind of started the Queen of Wimbledon talk. Since winning this Vee has not won or even PLAYED a Final of a major outside Wimby,had she lost this quite possibly that could have pushed her to win &focus on the other majors and take signficance AND confidence from the whole queen of wimbledon talk. Also having not won this would have made Wimby no more special than the USO as prior she had won both equal amount of times so who is to say she would have dominated furhter Wimbledons

zvonarevarulz
Mar 21st, 2010, 06:20 PM
Lindsay's MP against Vee at Wimbledon '05:sad:

silyaunWILLIAMS
Mar 21st, 2010, 08:32 PM
Monica Seles dosen't play in that Hamburg quarterfinal in 1993, Seles was such a brilliant, unique player.

edificio
Mar 21st, 2010, 10:48 PM
Some of those points between Myskina and Henin in the Olympics and at RG.

gc-spurs
Mar 21st, 2010, 11:48 PM
1) A0 05 SF- mp
2) AO 06 SF Pova vs Henin- one of those terrible line calls