PDA

View Full Version : Is Wozniacki better than prime Conchita Martinez?

TennisLurker
Mar 20th, 2010, 05:40 AM
Both defensive players who hit with heavy topspin

Both were number 2 in the world, Wozniacki now, Conchita in 1995
(If Seles had not been stabbed Conchita would have been 3)

Caroline obviously has a better topspin backhand than Conchita, whose backhand was most of the time slice, and excessively loopy when she tried to hit topspin.

Caroline is also faster

But Conchita had a much better forehand, the second best forehand after Graf in her time, which allowed her to play from time to time quite aggressively. Wozniacki just can't be very aggressive with anything.

Conchita also had more variety,

So, what do you think?

kman
Mar 20th, 2010, 05:41 AM
Caroline better serve and mental game.

n1ko0
Mar 20th, 2010, 05:44 AM
tennis has changed since conchita, its hard to say. But both obviously had / have their strengths and weaknesses. I would say caroline would beat conchita, but only because of the modern game. If they were around at the same time and were a similar age the story could be different. Like i said its hard to say! totally a fan of both though! :)

Calvin M.
Mar 20th, 2010, 09:03 AM
Martinez playing Wozniacki would be like a Conchita-ASV or a Conchita-Coetzer match. I can't say if either would have an edge. If forced, I'd go with Wozniacki since I haven't seen her exhibit the negativity that Martinez sometimes displayed on court.

The Dawntreader
Mar 20th, 2010, 09:17 AM
No.

Conchita had a wealth of shots at her disposal. Yes, she was underpowered against her peers (and considerably in some cases), but she had intuitive court-craft, easy bouncy movement that rarely made her unable to retain her court-positioning, and she was a true exponent of varying the height, length, width and pace of the ball.

Check out her match against Hingis in Berlin from 2000. I wouldn't call that a defensive display at all, managing to out-maneuvere Hingis at every opportunity and actually to a degree, out-hit Hingis with her forehand with extraordinary placement.

homogenius
Mar 20th, 2010, 09:19 AM
no

SIN DIOS NI LEY
Mar 20th, 2010, 09:47 AM
No

Wozniacki would kill for a forehand like that

Bobisa
Mar 20th, 2010, 09:58 AM
no..

laurie
Mar 20th, 2010, 02:37 PM
Both defensive players who hit with heavy topspin

Both were number 2 in the world, Wozniacki now, Conchita in 1995
(If Seles had not been stabbed Conchita would have been 3)

Caroline obviously has a better topspin backhand than Conchita, whose backhand was most of the time slice, and excessively loopy when she tried to hit topspin.

Caroline is also faster

But Conchita had a much better forehand, the second best forehand after Graf in her time, which allowed her to play from time to time quite aggressively. Wozniacki just can't be very aggressive with anything.

Conchita also had more variety,

So, what do you think?

What a fascinating question - something I've never thought about.

The first response was correct, Conchita had a tremendous forehand when she decided to use it. To me, Conchita played a similar way to Gabriela Sabatini and Amelie Mauresmo, however, both Amelie and Gabriela were more athletic and had better topspin backhands to go with their slice shots. Conchita did have a lot of variety in her game and like Arantxa Sanchez was always prepared to take the net due to lots of doubles experience.

I'm fascinated (actually not sure that's the right word) by the new breed of Tennis player. In the past, counter punchers and "pushers" (horrible word!!!) were usually shorter and had less power or reach for hitting those big serves - players like Arantxa Sanchez, Michael Chang and Lleyton Hewitt made the most of what they had and still played tremendous Tennis and made great results.

In the last three years a new type of player has come through. In the mens game you have Gael Monfils and Andy Murray who are both 6 ft 3 inches (1 metre 90?) and yet you have Monfils standing by the fence running down everything and "pushing" the ball all over the place, contributing to his own injuries by not playing efficiently. And in the womens game you have Wozniacki who's also tall and also playing a similar way. Andy Murray's passive play is the sole reason why he hasn't won a Grand Slam tournament yet (will he win one?) Andy has so many shots and yet plays so many soft shots (I’ve seen him twice and was surprised and disappointed).

So its strange to see taller players playing a counter puncher style when they have the physical gifts to play more aggressive. I wonder if this trend will continue?

laurie
Mar 20th, 2010, 02:40 PM
Actually maybe I should include Nadal in this as well. His game style borders on counterpuncher so often and his injuries are a direct result of over play and not having an efficient game or big enough serve to win cheap points from time to time.

The Crow
Mar 20th, 2010, 02:40 PM
No way, Conchita is much hotter :drool: And a better tennisplayer as well ;)

debby
Mar 20th, 2010, 02:47 PM
No. Conchita is way better.

nicidle
Mar 20th, 2010, 02:55 PM
not sure whether wozniacki hit as heavy topspin as conchita..

Ellery
Mar 20th, 2010, 02:55 PM
No.

KV
Mar 20th, 2010, 04:10 PM

Yup.

Wannabeknowitall
Mar 20th, 2010, 04:58 PM
No way, Conchita is much hotter :drool: And a better tennisplayer as well ;)

I'll agree that Conchita is a better player but I really want to barf for you saying that Conchita is hot.

moby
Mar 20th, 2010, 05:09 PM
Conchita will find a way to keep the rallies neutral with her assortment of loops and slices until she gets a chance to hit out on her forehand.
Caro doesn't hit with enough pace or take the ball early enough to really trouble Conchita.
If she has to moonball, she will, and nobody out-moonballs Conchita. (I don't think Wozniacki can reply to a moonball in any other way than with another moonball)

I see something like this happening to Caro:

oVwlZApl8dk

But I can also seeing this match going the other way. Caro is much more focused than Conchita.

Volcana
Mar 20th, 2010, 05:21 PM
The best of Conchi was 1994-95. She had a devastating forehand, vastly better court speed than we saw 2000 on, and an awesome array of weapons. Remember, she didn't just win Wimbledon. She beat Navratilova to win Wimbledon.

OTOH, we haven't seen the best of Wozniacki, so the question is premature. The best of Conchi is better than the best we've seen of Woz so far.

Wannabeknowitall
Mar 20th, 2010, 05:53 PM
Conchita will find a way to keep the rallies neutral with her assortment of loops and slices until she gets a chance to hit out on her forehand.
Caro doesn't hit with enough pace or take the ball early enough to really trouble Conchita.
If she has to moonball, she will, and nobody out-moonballs Conchita. (I don't think Wozniacki can reply to a moonball in any other way than with another moonball)

I see something like this happening to Caro:

oVwlZApl8dk

But I can also seeing this match going the other way. Caro is much more focused than Conchita.

In defense of Dokic, I know where this tourni is and they have the slowest hard courts of all the outdoor tournis of North America, if not the entire world.

Conchi always seemed to have Jelena's number when it mattered the most.

8XrCUXLcQp0

Steffica Greles
Mar 20th, 2010, 07:19 PM
There's no comparison.

When Conchita was no.2 she was reigning champion at about 4 tier 2 and two tier 1 tournaments, as well as Wimbledon champion with three other slam semi-finals. Caroline hasn't even won a tier 1 once yet.

Conchita's first top ten win was in 1988; her last was in 2005. That's a 17-year span - nearly Wozniacki's entire lifetime.

Absolutely absurd thread.

P.S There is NO similarity between their games either. Conchita's was a variety of spins and very much strategic. To me, Caroline's is just about getting balls back.

doktor
Mar 20th, 2010, 07:28 PM
no...

*Jool*
Mar 20th, 2010, 07:54 PM
gosh , watched those videos and ... how much do I miss Conchi ...

Dexter
Mar 20th, 2010, 07:57 PM
Conchita's first top ten win was in 1988; her last was in 2005. That's a 17-year span - nearly Wozniacki's entire lifetime.What a phenomenal argument. :worship: What's the point of comparing them in such way, before Wozniacki retires?

Drake1980
Mar 20th, 2010, 10:10 PM
Conchita!:hearts:

Mateo Mathieu
Mar 21st, 2010, 04:04 AM
OMG! I missed her so much :sobbing: Yes, she was way better than Caroline.

kman
Mar 21st, 2010, 04:43 AM
What a phenomenal argument. :worship: What's the point of comparing them in such way, before Wozniacki retires?

yea, massive fail

AcesHigh
Mar 21st, 2010, 04:49 AM
Actually maybe I should include Nadal in this as well. His game style borders on counterpuncher so often and his injuries are a direct result of over play and not having an efficient game or big enough serve to win cheap points from time to time.

Ugh.. I hate when people describe Nadal this way. Nadal can hit ANYONE off the court and he DOES have an efficient and big enough game to win cheap points from time to time. His serve improved massively and he has been able to flatten out his shots. He wouldnt have completely dominated not too long ago on all surfaces if he wasn't able to do this.

His injuries have set him back both mentally and physically...but when he was in peak form, even from a defensive position that heavy topspin forehand is enough to be an offensive weapon with just the velocity and amount of spin on the ball... it's just incredibly hard to handle.

duhcity
Mar 21st, 2010, 05:07 AM
Ugh.. I hate when people describe Nadal this way. Nadal can hit ANYONE off the court and he DOES have an efficient and big enough game to win cheap points from time to time. His serve improved massively and he has been able to flatten out his shots. He wouldnt have completely dominated not too long ago on all surfaces if he wasn't able to do this.

His injuries have set him back both mentally and physically...but when he was in peak form, even from a defensive position that heavy topspin forehand is enough to be an offensive weapon with just the velocity and amount of spin on the ball... it's just incredibly hard to handle.

Agreed.
In yesterday's SF, Aga and Caro several times hit winners that painted the lines.

But what's the point of playing an unfamiliar style when what they're doing now is less stressful on their body AND is highly effective?

spencercarlos
Mar 21st, 2010, 05:22 AM

Nadal´s huge topspin does not means he hits huge off the ground or that he normally is in control of points. Nadal is not an attacking player. He even throws a lot of slices with no pace on the middle of the court trying to buy some errors.

He plays long points, and has to do a lot of running. No wonder he has suffered phisically from it and has gone from holding 3 of 4 grand slams a little over a year ago to going almost a year without winning a single title.

That being said Wozniacki is at a similar risk of burning out either phisically or mentally, if she continues to play a lot of events, and if she does not change her pattern of game.

Tenis Srbija
Mar 21st, 2010, 09:19 AM
Comparing Wozniacki to Martinez :help::help::help:
Currently Caroline is nowhere near to be compared to Conchita...

Svetlana)))
Mar 21st, 2010, 09:39 AM
Stop the comparisons. Wozniacki CANNOT be compared to Hingis, Hewitt, Conchita, Arantxa, any of those champions. Wozniacki must be judged in her own category. She is an opportunistic pusher. THE END.

honigschlecker
Mar 21st, 2010, 09:46 AM

How did you measure that? :-)

Taking in account how hard it is nowadays to be on top with Caro's gameplay I'd say that Wozniacki is probably a bit stronger. But... of course there is not really a way you could compare it.

honigschlecker
Mar 21st, 2010, 09:49 AM
Stop the comparisons. Wozniacki CANNOT be compared to Hingis

Wozniacki reached a GS final. Hingis not even a semifinal after her comeback. And the ranking... well. So probably this would be indeed an unfair comparison...?! :)

Svetlana)))
Mar 21st, 2010, 10:01 AM
Wozniacki reached a GS final. Hingis not even a semifinal after her comeback. And the ranking... well. So probably this would be indeed an unfair comparison...?! :)

erm.okay.

Calvin M.
Mar 21st, 2010, 11:22 AM
Comparing Wozniacki to Martinez :help::help::help:
Currently Caroline is nowhere near to be compared to Conchita...

IMHO the reason this topic was started is because Wozniacki, like Martinez, has risen to #2 playing a passive game. To me, the similarity is that Wozniacki lulls her opponents into errors and frustration in very much the same way that Martinez did.

honigschlecker
Mar 21st, 2010, 11:50 AM
IMHO the reason this topic was started is because Wozniacki, like Martinez, has risen to #2 playing a passive game. To me, the similarity is that Wozniacki lulls her opponents into errors and frustration in very much the same way that Martinez did.

I guess Caros game ist much more similiar to Arantxa's. But more aggressive. On the other hand it's all hard to compare due to the completely changed playing style today.

laurie
Mar 21st, 2010, 12:04 PM
A nice stop vlley from Conchita here

6f2_ePnMX3A

Slutiana
Mar 21st, 2010, 01:05 PM
It's too early for this.

Ask this question again in twenty years.

If I'm still around to answer it, please kill me.
I'm sure you will be. :hug:

So Disrespectful
Mar 21st, 2010, 01:17 PM
Conchita had more racquet skills than Wozniacki, but it remains to be seen whether Caroline will have a more accomplished career. I doubt she'll come anywhere near Conchita's level of longevity though.

Slutiana
Mar 21st, 2010, 01:18 PM
Yup, my first move will be to ban you from the bugs thread as revenge!

Sylvester
Mar 21st, 2010, 01:59 PM
Jesus Christ.

Conchita had a game variation with almost no precedents in the circuit. She could hit everything on a tennis court. Wozniacki doesn't have a tenth of the game that Conchita had, especially in terms of net game and passing shot abilities (her passing shots in the Wimbledon final against the best volleyer of all time are SICK!!!)

Does someone think Conchita won Wimbledon by a being a 3-winners hitter pusher? She was a defensive player, but she knew how to be aggressive, when necessary. And her forehand wasn't a loopy crappy one, like Wozniacki's forehand is.

Matt01
Mar 21st, 2010, 02:37 PM
They both have/had nice passing shots. :worship:

The answer to the question of the OP right now is of course Conchita but

A nice stop vlley from Conchita here

this here looked rather like a lucky shot to me :p;)

Noctis
Mar 21st, 2010, 03:53 PM
Wozniacki cant be compare to anyone.
Shes nothing special. and you know it
great personality. But not tennis wise. be honest Wozniacki fans do you enjoy watching her play? (i mean her tennis)

Renalicious
Mar 21st, 2010, 03:59 PM
Conchita is more aggressive and more variety, i'd say. But Caro still has a full career ahead of her to improve.

On a side note, here is Caroline "3 Winners" Wozniacki in action - she is so SOOO defensive. :eek:

GEIGO61-GiA

y3o6zhKSviw

The Dawntreader
Mar 21st, 2010, 04:00 PM
this here looked rather like a lucky shot to me :p;)

If only Matt. Conchita just demonstrated excellent ball-control, able to anticipate the line of the ball superbly.

It's only Justine who can summon lucky shots:p

kman
Mar 21st, 2010, 04:02 PM
Wozniacki cant be compare to anyone.
Shes nothing special.

If she can't be compared to anyone, then she must be special ;)

and you know it
great personality. But not tennis wise. be honest Wozniacki fans do you enjoy watching her play? (i mean her tennis)
I LOOOVE watching her play.

The Dawntreader
Mar 21st, 2010, 04:07 PM
If she can't be compared to anyone, then she must be special ;)

Special or indistinct.

esquímaux
Mar 21st, 2010, 04:32 PM
Moonball Mama :hearts:

kman
Mar 21st, 2010, 04:33 PM
Special or indistinct.

If everyone else are distinct, being indistinct would make her special.

moby
Mar 21st, 2010, 04:40 PM
II LOOOVE watching her play.You only love watching her play because she's tall, blonde, fairly attractive, successful, and Danish. You could care less about how she hits the ball.
Perhaps it would be more accurate for you to say: "I love watching her. But the only chance I get is when she's playing a match."

Not that there's anything wrong with that. But you should at least give up on defending her style of play. I mean, I don't watch Volandri for his tennis. :tape:

volta
Mar 21st, 2010, 04:40 PM
the only thing that always kept me away from being a conchita fan was her on court attitude , it always rubbed me the wrong way for some reason but her tennis was DELICIOUS :drool:

as for this thread... i just don't see it :shrug: they are nothing alike imo

kman
Mar 21st, 2010, 04:42 PM
You only like watching her play because she's tall, blonde, fairly attractive, successful, and Danish. You could care less about how she hits the ball.

yea, "how she hits the ball" is not at the top of my list. Winning is more important.

Machi
Mar 21st, 2010, 04:44 PM
Pushniacki is a boring player. She is the female Murray. Push Push Push. In fact, Pushniacki won't win against a normal offensive player.

kman
Mar 21st, 2010, 04:47 PM
In fact, Pushniacki won't win against a normal offensive player.
She already did Einstein.

Cookie Power
Mar 21st, 2010, 04:56 PM
No. Conchita was a pusher. Caro is a brainless pusher.

Noctis
Mar 21st, 2010, 04:57 PM
yea, "how she hits the ball" is not at the top of my list. Winning is more important.

Winning ugly. everytime the ue count is more the winners.:help:

AcesHigh
Mar 21st, 2010, 04:58 PM
Murray is not a f'ing pusher :smash:

FFS, do you watch the man consistently? You can't get that far in the men's game by "pushing". WTF does that mean anyway? This term and how it's used to is so f'ing retarded.

irma
Mar 21st, 2010, 05:03 PM
Is Wozniacki also tanking (slam) matches because it's too early? :eek:

Machi
Mar 21st, 2010, 05:06 PM
She already did Einstein.

Thanks, I am Einstein. Now, in which Tier 1 tournament championship did she beat a normal player.:)

spencercarlos
Mar 21st, 2010, 05:23 PM
Thanks, I am Einstein. Now, in which Tier 1 tournament championship did she beat a normal player.:)
Never, it seems like for some of you Wozniacki plays against uncapable players like wheelchair/retarded players or something :rolleyes:

She is getting the same bashing Safina got last year, and the same one Jankivic got for getting to number one in 2008, all of that because they have no slam wins to their credit.. :help: I don´t think that´s their fault, but the ranking system´s, period.

Sammm
Mar 21st, 2010, 06:02 PM
Never, it seems like for some of you Wozniacki plays against uncapable players like wheelchair/retarded players or something :rolleyes:

She is getting the same bashing Safina got last year, and the same one Jankivic got for getting to number one in 2008, all of that because they have no slam wins to their credit.. :help: I don´t think that´s their fault, but the ranking system´s, period.

But not only does Wozniacki not have a grand slam win, but she doesn't have a tier one ( or whatever they are called now )victory to her name. Her biggest titles are Eastbourne and New Haven. Of course that might change tonight.

Anyhow, I think Martinez wins on clay and grass; hardcourts might be a tougher story.

The Crow
Mar 21st, 2010, 06:11 PM
I didn't know this would turn into a Caro slugfest :rolleyes:

This reminds me of the time when the Williams sisters came first to the tour. They were discredited for not playing real tennis, that it was just power and no refinement at all. It's kinda ironic that Caro's discredited for the opposite :tape:

The goal of tennis (of any sports really) is to win matches. How you do that is not really important (it can be for spectators and fans though). The fact that Caro got to number 2 on the rankings is imo a huge achievement for her! Well done!

But Conchi is something special :hearts:

edificio
Mar 21st, 2010, 11:52 PM
Prime Conchi was better. Doesn't mean Carolina can't improve, though.

Summer_Snow
Mar 22nd, 2010, 07:24 AM
I really dont like Conchita and I'm a fan of Caro, but...
the answer is sadly NO :o

Apoleb
Mar 22nd, 2010, 07:40 AM
Murray is not a f'ing pusher :smash:

FFS, do you watch the man consistently? You can't get that far in the men's game by "pushing". WTF does that mean anyway? This term and how it's used to is so f'ing retarded.

He can revert to "pushing" sometimes i.e rely on his speed and defensive ability to get back the ball in court with decent depth but not much else. Of course when he's really playing well, he's a creative counter-puncher.

I'm starting to develop my view about Wozniacki as someone dependent on her striking ability rather than defense (yes, striking ability, I said it). She hits a decently heavy ball, with enough consistency that it's hard to overpower, and sometimes good enough to overpower some scrubs. She will look like a pusher against anyone who's trying to actively do something with those balls.

Those clips moby posted of Conchita are hilarious. I just don't know how she has the patience to play like this. While Steffi sliced to hit off her forehand, Conchi moonballed. :lol:

LightsOut!
Mar 22nd, 2010, 09:07 AM
never.

skanky~skanketta
Mar 22nd, 2010, 09:35 AM
I guess Caros game ist much more similiar to Arantxa's. But more aggressive. On the other hand it's all hard to compare due to the completely changed playing style today.
Wait, are you saying that Caro's game is more aggressive than Arantxa's? If so, you must be joking. Yes, Caro has the ability to hit harder, but that does not mean it's more aggressive. ASV may have hit a softer ball, but she was pretty damn aggressive.

Now, I've said this before, Caro's game is effective and in fact, I like watching her play cuz I think tennis is all about enjoying the different game-styles and matchups. However, I feel that caro sticks too much to the defensive style when she should actually use her powerful backhand to finish off points. It'll be difficult for her to maintain subliminal defense if her harder-hitting opponent is zoning.

If there is any player Caro can be compared to it's Shahar Peer. Both have fantastic movement, weaker, loopy forehands, and power backhands. The main reason why Shahar doesn't do so well is because her serve is nowhere near the quality of Caroline's. IMO Shahar's volleys are better, but she rarely comes to the net so there's no point comparing their net-games.

Navratil
Mar 22nd, 2010, 10:58 AM
Martinez was a very gifted player who could have done much better in her career. She reached the 3 Grand-Slam-finals including her win in Wimbledon 1994. She was a top ten player for a decade and Wozniacki is top ten for just half a year.

Martinez had a way better potential, she mixed her game up like nobody else did!

The final of Indian Wells proved that Wozniacki can't beat a top player unless these players beat themselves. She doesn't have a weapon like the Martinez forehand, she doesn't have her variaty and she doesn't have her skills at the net. They bot serve pretty badly but overall Martinez is a different class of a player!

Navratil
Mar 22nd, 2010, 11:02 AM
If you want to compare Caroline Wozniacki to player from the 90ties, take Katerina or Manuela Maleeva, Mary Joe Fernandez etc.

orfgab
Mar 22nd, 2010, 11:12 AM
Yes, Conchita Martinez is not the same kind of player. Too much spin, too much variety. I miss that kind of players.

orfgab
Mar 22nd, 2010, 11:27 AM

Did you watch Indian Wells? When Nadal's game is on, he tries to take control of the rally all the time. He doesn't have the serve to win cheap points and all the players play more aggressive against him than against the other players because they know they have no chance otherwise. But Nadal is very aggressive.

poulao
Mar 22nd, 2010, 11:49 AM
Now, the day after yesterday and a good night's sleep, the disappointment has subsided, and I'm looking at the match again. What I'm seeing now is, that she actually didn't play as badly as I thought she did yesterday. But she didn't seize the moment and now it's pased her by. Poor Caro, her father tried to wake her up. But it's all over now, isn't it? But one thing we have to agree on, she will in all probabillity, reach other finals and so, have another go at shining in a final.

So, good luck to you all. :)

honigschlecker
Mar 22nd, 2010, 06:02 PM
Wait, are you saying that Caro's game is more aggressive than Arantxa's? If so, you must be joking.

Yes, of course. It's true that Caroline sticks to a defensive playing style often - too often. But she's able to play pretty aggressive on good days.
On the other hand Sanchez-Vicario played - out of my memory - very defensive, hitting moon balls regularly. Great counterplay, though. And if the opponent was tired after a long rallye she was able to hit winners pretty good. ;-)

So IMHO Caro plays more aggressive - often.

nicidle
Mar 24th, 2010, 01:30 PM
Yes, of course. It's true that Caroline sticks to a defensive playing style often - too often. But she's able to play pretty aggressive on good days.
On the other hand Sanchez-Vicario played - out of my memory - very defensive, hitting moon balls regularly. Great counterplay, though. And if the opponent was tired after a long rallye she was able to hit winners pretty good. ;-)

So IMHO Caro plays more aggressive - often.

go watch the wimbledon finals 95,96. she attacked graf's backhand alot and charged the net. she's defensive maybe at later stage of her career.

Declan
Mar 24th, 2010, 01:58 PM
Not even close-Conchita was considerably better, and much more consistent, too.

honigschlecker
Mar 24th, 2010, 07:09 PM
Not even close-Conchita was considerably better, and much more consistent, too.

Now come on. ALL players were more consistent in those "good old times". ;-) And the reason is obvious.

laurie
Mar 24th, 2010, 07:17 PM
Now come on. ALL players were more consistent in those "good old times". ;-) And the reason is obvious.

Eh??

Calvin M.
Mar 25th, 2010, 12:42 AM
If you want to compare Caroline Wozniacki to player from the 90ties, take Katerina or Manuela Maleeva, Mary Joe Fernandez etc.

Good analogy but the older Maleeva and MJF were much more strategic than Wozniacki, at least based on what she has displayed so far in her young career.

honigschlecker
Mar 25th, 2010, 12:46 AM
Eh??

WTA-tour is much stronger overall today. Meaning that the no. 40 did only rarely win against no 10 back in time, but today it's nothing special. => Players are less consistent today.
Well, I could explain it better in German. ;-)