PDA

View Full Version : It's the semi finals of the Tier 1 event ... where are the fans?

tennisIlove09
Mar 19th, 2010, 08:20 PM
The stands for Jankovic/Sam are EMPTY. :shrug:

Jorn
Mar 19th, 2010, 08:28 PM
PPL in USA don't care if it not a Will sis or some better known players...

youizahoe
Mar 19th, 2010, 08:28 PM
IKR :rolls: Even the rich audience that just comes to flaunt their wealth didn't even bother to show up :lol:

SIN DIOS NI LEY
Mar 19th, 2010, 08:29 PM
Waiting for Robredo and Murray

AcesHigh
Mar 19th, 2010, 08:32 PM
Isn't it a Friday? People have jobs or school, no?

The Witch-king
Mar 19th, 2010, 08:32 PM
Must be kind of disheartening for the players

kiwifan
Mar 19th, 2010, 08:33 PM
Sam should market herself better...the Yanks would love to get behind a plucky Australian Lass. :cool:

The same could be said of Molik. :shrug:

kiwifan
Mar 19th, 2010, 08:35 PM

Us Californians blow off work whenever the surf is good...or the general vibe is bad...

...not exactly a State of "Worker Bees" :p

youizahoe
Mar 19th, 2010, 08:36 PM

It was more crowded the past days :p

VIKA?
Mar 19th, 2010, 08:39 PM
Stosur is boring:yawn:

Ferg
Mar 19th, 2010, 08:40 PM
Robredo/Murray and Wozniacki/Radwanksa. :hearts: These matches will probably be a combined 6 hours.

Just Do It
Mar 19th, 2010, 08:40 PM
It was more crowded the past days :p

No it wasnt. Almost all WTA matches were empty. Not to mention its too hot today. I guess non tennis fans would rather stay at home than drive for 1 hour to sit there on 30C+ :shrug:
US crowd just doesnt give a damn about tennis WTA.

Londoner
Mar 19th, 2010, 08:42 PM
I do think that there aren't many household names on the Tour for people in some countries to relate to. Apart from the Williams and possibly Sharapova there are no Everts, Capriati, Navratilova, Graf, Seles, Sabatini etc. It's a fact of reality that without a household name or big American/Western European names, the fan base in America and places like the UK diminishes. I was even surprised the other day when I mentioned Justine Henin to some friends - they had never heard of her! Never mind a lot of other players on the Tour. It may say a lot about the US and UK, but as I say, just a fact the Tour has to live with. For example Graf could still sell out all Wimbledon courts just by appearing on them for a few minutes - last year's appearance sold out in less than 5 minutes. The current semi-final line up couldn't.

Previous generations had big marquee names. Now it is Serena, Venus and possibly Maria/Kim. And none are in the semis.

youizahoe
Mar 19th, 2010, 08:43 PM
No it wasnt. Almost all WTA matches were empty. Not to mention its too hot today. I guess non tennis fans would rather stay at home than drive for 1 hour to sit there on 30C+ :shrug:
US crowd just doesnt give a damn about tennis WTA.

Yes it was more crowded the past days, not a lot, but it was.

USA doesn't care about players that are not American or Kim Clijsters :lol:

Dale4Saul2Red0
Mar 19th, 2010, 08:43 PM
Hellllllllllllo the NCAA Tournament has started. Ever heard of March Madness? If you are a sports fan you are going to be more inclined to watch the basketball tournament, than some non Grand Slam tennis event. Most people I know that watch tennis, watch other sports as well so I can only assume that has something to do with it.

SIN DIOS NI LEY
Mar 19th, 2010, 08:44 PM
Ever heard of March Madness?

No

What is that ?

mure
Mar 19th, 2010, 08:46 PM
Wta should stop givin so many tournaments to Usa.It's obvious the fans there don't bother unless thay can pronounce the players names

Ferg
Mar 19th, 2010, 08:47 PM
No

What is that ?

Its just a month where everyone goes MENTAL and do whatever they want. Its like that movie The Crazies.

AndreConrad
Mar 19th, 2010, 08:48 PM
No

What is that ?
http://www.ncaa.com/

youizahoe
Mar 19th, 2010, 08:49 PM
Wta should stop givin so many tournaments to Usa.It's obvious the fans there don't bother unless thay can pronounce the players names

And give them to Asia or Middle East, where even less people show up? :lol:

SIN DIOS NI LEY
Mar 19th, 2010, 08:50 PM
http://www.ncaa.com/

Amateur basketball

Having the best basketball league in the world , people in US prefer the amateur staff

delicatecutter
Mar 19th, 2010, 08:54 PM
Amateur and college are not synonymous. :tape:

AndreConrad
Mar 19th, 2010, 08:57 PM
Amateur and college are not synonymous. :tape:
College level sports are trated very seriously. In some states e.g. Texas even High School Football (The American kind) will rank higher then USO.

goldenlox
Mar 19th, 2010, 08:59 PM
People are coming in now. The place is filling up.
No tournament outside the majors sells tickets like this one

Ferg
Mar 19th, 2010, 08:59 PM
Watching the match, I really, really cant blame them for not wanting to see this.

delicatecutter
Mar 19th, 2010, 09:00 PM
How many hack shots has Stosur hit so far? :p

Ferg
Mar 19th, 2010, 09:01 PM
About fifty million.

Viktymise
Mar 19th, 2010, 09:02 PM
How many hack shots has Stosur hit so far? :p

Story of her life.

SIN DIOS NI LEY
Mar 19th, 2010, 09:02 PM
Both are top 10 :tape:

Nina.
Mar 19th, 2010, 09:05 PM
And give them to Asia or Middle East, where even less people show up? :lol:

Wasn't the attendance in Beijing pretty decent?
But I totally agree about Middle East :lol:

brickhousesupporter
Mar 19th, 2010, 09:06 PM
I can't, I tried to watch this match, but I can't........I so could be doing something more productive. Could someone direct me to some wet paint.
http://i989.photobucket.com/albums/af19/rudeboy77/Gifs/1z64235.gif

Jorn
Mar 19th, 2010, 09:11 PM
There's a bigger crowd now, and they sit way up in the cheap seats...

homogenius
Mar 19th, 2010, 09:15 PM
Americans have no money left :hug:

Blu€
Mar 19th, 2010, 09:15 PM
To be honest I don't know why someone would bother paying a ticket if they can watch it on tv or on a computer. It's so much comfortable, cheaper and watchable. Moreover, that stadium is enormous and I, for one, wouldn't pay to sit all the way up and see 2 ants movin backwards and forwards even if they were my favourite players.

JJ Expres
Mar 19th, 2010, 09:26 PM
To be honest I don't know why someone would bother paying a ticket if they can watch it on tv or on a computer. It's so much comfortable, cheaper and watchable. Moreover, that stadium is enormous and I, for one, wouldn't pay to sit all the way up and see 2 ants movin backwards and forwards even if they were my favourite players.

actually sitting up is better than sitting near the court.I have experience from Belgrade Arena.

Steff_forever
Mar 19th, 2010, 09:27 PM
JJ's near the IW final and we fans are here, so what ? :confused:

Blu€
Mar 19th, 2010, 09:31 PM
actually sitting up is better than sitting near the court.I have experience from Belgrade Arena.

Well it depends on how up you mean because I was watching Nadal's match and they showed the view of people in the last rows and you definitely couldnt see the ball from there.

JJ Expres
Mar 19th, 2010, 09:33 PM
Well it depends on how up you mean because I was watching Nadal's match and they showed the view of people in the last rows and you definitely couldnt see the ball from there.

I thought the same thing but in reality is much different.

Keadz
Mar 19th, 2010, 09:36 PM
The atmosphere of matches is something you can't match watching a T.V screen.

Gdsimmons
Mar 19th, 2010, 09:37 PM
I can't, I tried to watch this match, but I can't........I so could be doing something more productive. Could someone direct me to some wet paint.
http://i989.photobucket.com/albums/af19/rudeboy77/Gifs/1z64235.gif

Lmao!! I love this gif

When was that?? Was that when she was upset about the Whitney interview on Oprah??

BuTtErFrEnA
Mar 19th, 2010, 09:42 PM
I thought the same thing but in reality is much different.

does belgrade arena hold the same amount of people as IW CC?? is it shaped in that same up and out way?? IW and Arthur Ashe CC definitely have the players looking like ants the higher up you go

Londoner
Mar 19th, 2010, 09:46 PM
Lmao!! I love this gif

When was that?? Was that when she was upset about the Whitney interview on Oprah??

Who is it?

Gdsimmons
Mar 19th, 2010, 09:48 PM
Who is it?

Wendy Williams. She has her own daytime talk show. She used to have her own radio show based here in New York

JJ Expres
Mar 19th, 2010, 09:49 PM
does belgrade arena hold the same amount of people as IW CC?? is it shaped in that same up and out way?? IW and Arthur Ashe CC definitely have the players looking like ants the higher up you go

capacity is 20 000.http://en.eurosong2008belgrade.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/02/belgrade-arena-inside.jpg

BuTtErFrEnA
Mar 19th, 2010, 09:51 PM
that doesn't like the same as IW or Arthur Ashe :shrug:

Optima
Mar 19th, 2010, 09:52 PM
Amateur basketball

Having the best basketball league in the world , people in US prefer the amateur staff

You know nothing about basketball, obviously.

Aphex
Mar 19th, 2010, 09:53 PM
They woke this morning up eager and willing for some Premier Mandatory SF action and then they thought: Jaaawnovitch...Yaawn:zzz:

2Black
Mar 19th, 2010, 09:53 PM
Hellllllllllllo the NCAA Tournament has started. Ever heard of March Madness? If you are a sports fan you are going to be more inclined to watch the basketball tournament, than some non Grand Slam tennis event. Most people I know that watch tennis, watch other sports as well so I can only assume that has something to do with it.

DEFINITELY THIS ... Even my friends that are big tennis fans aren't talking about Indian Wells. It's basically a non issue in the US this week except for the people who are tennis die hards or rich.

tennismaster8820
Mar 19th, 2010, 09:55 PM
Good decision by people not to come as this match was too boring.
Stosur enters top 10 with this performance, great style! :tape: :help:

Tennisstar86
Mar 19th, 2010, 09:56 PM
Miami

brickhousesupporter
Mar 19th, 2010, 09:57 PM
Lmao!! I love this gif

I don't know. I did not make this one.....This came from a friend of mine that posts a funny gif in his email signature everyday. I stole it.

brickhousesupporter
Mar 19th, 2010, 09:59 PM
It really isn't as bad as you would think when you go to the stadium. Trust me.

Mynarco
Mar 19th, 2010, 09:59 PM
Good decision by people not to come as this match was too boring.
Stosur enters top 10 with this performance, great style! :tape: :help:

:lol:

SIN DIOS NI LEY
Mar 19th, 2010, 10:00 PM

Its bigger

The biggest arena in Chile has a 13 000 persons capacity . You can see perfectly the tennis matches wherever you are in the arena .
The view in a basketball arena seems to be better than in a similar size tennis stadium

Tennisstar86
Mar 19th, 2010, 10:04 PM
You know nothing about basketball, obviously.

very true, Id go as far as to say College basketball and football (for many) are on par if not ranked higher than the pro leagues....And i agree with who said sitting higher is better... Not necessarily nose bleeds, but you do have more freedom to move around higher up.

shoparound
Mar 20th, 2010, 03:45 AM
Tennis players aren't marketed well.
Tiger Woods was marketed incredibly well for playing one of the most boring sports to watch (yes I said it) of all sports.

duhcity
Mar 20th, 2010, 04:13 AM

True.
But it's still not very good. Tennis isn't a sport thats meant to be watched that way

Which is why I will never go to the BJK Cup in MSG. I'm not paying that price for a nosebleed seat in MSG.

tennisbum79
Mar 20th, 2010, 08:02 AM
We see the stands on the TV screen, They are sparsely occupied.

The audience has caught up with the quality of tennis being offered and they are taking more time having a drink than putting themselve through endless, monotonous rallies.

Gdsimmons
Mar 20th, 2010, 08:04 AM
We see the stands on the TV screen, They are sparsely occupied.

The audience has caught up with the quality of tennis being offered and they taking more time having a drink than putting themselve through endless, monotonous rallies.

All I can say is :worship::worship::worship:

ivanban
Mar 20th, 2010, 10:18 AM
I am surprised there's any people in the stands :shrug: IW is place in the middle of nowhere, in the scorching desert, with around 4000 inhabitants :tape: And they decide to make the second largest tennis court in the world there :help:

Mrs. Dimitrova
Mar 20th, 2010, 10:43 AM
Maria wasn't there.

~Cherry*Blossom~
Mar 20th, 2010, 10:45 AM
Its just a month where everyone goes MENTAL and do whatever they want. Its like that movie The Crazies.

:sobbing:

дalex
Mar 20th, 2010, 10:50 AM
Uhm, I saw some of Murray v Soderling yesterday and stands didn't look any more full than during Jelena v Stosur. :shrug:

kman
Mar 20th, 2010, 10:59 AM
There were plenty of people for Caroline-Radwanska...

SIN DIOS NI LEY
Mar 20th, 2010, 11:04 AM
They will apppear for Rafa - Ljuba Truba

ivanban
Mar 20th, 2010, 12:09 PM
:o how come ppl know for his nick Truba :hysteric:

Londoner
Mar 20th, 2010, 12:16 PM

Seeing it live you do get more of a feel for the speed and power. The TV coverage always has the birds eye view which can make the match seem more boring - they need to vary the camera angles to show different views.

However having been to Wimbledon and Roland Garros and Eastbourne it can be quite irritating and stressful in the crowds and the seating is very uncomfortable. Plus the views aren't always good and if the match is poor it can be really boring. So overall I prefer it at home too, but I just wish they would mix up the camera angles more.

Talula
Mar 20th, 2010, 01:05 PM
I do think that there aren't many household names on the Tour for people in some countries to relate to. Apart from the Williams and possibly Sharapova there are no Everts, Capriati, Navratilova, Graf, Seles, Sabatini etc. It's a fact of reality that without a household name or big American/Western European names, the fan base in America and places like the UK diminishes. I was even surprised the other day when I mentioned Justine Henin to some friends - they had never heard of her! Never mind a lot of other players on the Tour. It may say a lot about the US and UK, but as I say, just a fact the Tour has to live with. For example Graf could still sell out all Wimbledon courts just by appearing on them for a few minutes - last year's appearance sold out in less than 5 minutes. The current semi-final line up couldn't.

Previous generations had big marquee names. Now it is Serena, Venus and possibly Maria/Kim. And none are in the semis.

I think this about sums it up. No household names. I've been saying it for a while.

Warhol15
Mar 20th, 2010, 01:57 PM

^^ This. Unfortunately.

youizahoe
Mar 20th, 2010, 05:58 PM
I am surprised there's any people in the stands :shrug: IW is place in the middle of nowhere, in the scorching desert, with around 4000 inhabitants :tape: And they decide to make the second largest tennis court in the world there :help:

Second biggest? For real? :tape:

is1531
Mar 20th, 2010, 06:10 PM
Their was a big difference in the size of the crowd for the Woznizcki vs Radwanska which had a bigger turnout than the Jankovic vs Stosur match. People are not going to take off from work in the afternoon from their job to watch tennis. Tennis does not pay the bills for people.

They only televised 18 matches between Tennistv.com and the Tennis Channel.

Lachrymarum
Mar 20th, 2010, 06:48 PM
Well let's take a look at who the semifinalists are....
There....I answered your question.

Marilyn Monheaux
Mar 20th, 2010, 09:04 PM
Men's semis. Stadium is far from empty!

http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm170/MeSuhsie/iwseminadlub.jpg

SIN DIOS NI LEY
Mar 20th, 2010, 09:14 PM
Ljuba Truba on court = packed stadium

tennisbum79
Mar 20th, 2010, 10:17 PM
Well, the women "pushed" all these people out

toby345
Mar 20th, 2010, 11:51 PM
ATP >>>> WTA ... unfortunately

tennisbum79
Mar 21st, 2010, 12:02 AM
ATP >>>> WTA ... unfortunately
In this particular case, the pusher factor exacerbated the situation.
It would have been different if any of the combo of Maria, Kim, Henin, or Kuznetsova were in the semi.

mure
Mar 21st, 2010, 12:06 AM

Mr Magoo made the final of Atp masters series?Beating seed 2 and 3?

Lolz,atp has reached a new low <sarcasm>

toby345
Mar 21st, 2010, 12:10 AM
http://img5.imageshack.us/img5/8251/unbenannt2gg.jpg

Even a boring ace fest has a bigger crowd.. the stadium is packed :help:

Spiritof42
Mar 21st, 2010, 12:36 AM
There's no question that the men are, generally speaking, drawing bigger crowds at the moment. But you can't really compare a Saturday afternoon to a weekday afternoon. We'll just have to see how many people are in the stands for the women's final tomorrow.

tennisbum79
Mar 21st, 2010, 12:39 AM
There's no question that the men are, generally speaking, drawing bigger crowds at the moment. But you can't really compare a Saturday afternoon to a weekday afternoon. We'll just have to see how many people are in the stands for the women's final tomorrow.
They will show up at the final because it is the final, not for the players involved.