PDA

View Full Version : Proximus diamond tennis night & Kim news and articles re Week after LA

Bigkimfan
Oct 5th, 2002, 07:44 AM
Is anybody going to this event?

:bounce: :bounce: Come on Kim!!!:bounce: :bounce:

spiritfullfrog
Oct 5th, 2002, 08:21 AM
what is the proximus diamond tennis night??
:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

Lleykimmy1
Oct 5th, 2002, 08:32 AM
I think but I'm not sure, that it is like the brillant game of last year.

It's a match in Belgium between Justine Henin and Kim for all the belgian fans !!

They're lucky !!

GO KIM

Bigkimfan
Oct 5th, 2002, 08:45 AM
It's on the 13th of november in the Spiroudome in Charleroi!!!

This is the program:
7 pm : pre-game : Mansour Bahrami – Henri Leconte
8.30 pm : Kim, Justine & Friends : musical tribute
9 pm : Match Kim Clijsters vs Justine Henin

:bounce: :bounce: Good luck Kim!!!:bounce: :bounce:

baico
Oct 5th, 2002, 10:31 AM
mss kunnen we er met zijn allen naar toe gaan!

btw, la coupole = spirodome is schoon vernieuwd

Bigkimfan
Oct 6th, 2002, 12:57 PM
This is the website!!!

http://www.sport.be/nl/proximusdiamondtennisnight/wat.html

:bounce: :bounce: Good luck against Myskina!!! :bounce: :bounce:

KaseyL
Nov 5th, 2002, 09:37 AM
anyone else going?

Nov 5th, 2002, 09:39 AM
I would go, but:
a. I have an important exam that day
b. I can't afford a flight to Belgium

Bigkimfan
Nov 5th, 2002, 09:59 AM
Originally posted by untitled2284
I would go, but:
a. I have an important exam that day
b. I can't afford a flight to Belgium

:D

Come on Kim!!!:bounce: :bounce:

valentine
Nov 5th, 2002, 05:06 PM
yes, I'm going to the tennis night!!!

ikke
Nov 5th, 2002, 05:25 PM
Originally posted by KaseyL
anyone else going?

Nope, I went last year to the Brilliant Game, but didn't buy tickets for this year:(

KaseyL
Nov 13th, 2002, 01:13 PM
The exhibition match will be LIVE on La Deux tonight, it starts at 20.56 'til 22.30.

Canvas will show a tape delay, starting at 23.45 'til 0.30.

Pinkie
Nov 13th, 2002, 06:41 PM
can somebody post scores and updates throughout the match?

KaseyL
Nov 13th, 2002, 06:49 PM
I'll try to post some results and impressions, not continously, as my computer isn't in the same room as the TV...

btw this event will also be on tape delay on Sunday, Canvas, in Sportpaleis, at 3 PM, according to Knack magazine today.

KaseyL
Nov 13th, 2002, 06:55 PM
Kim was on the news tonight in Belgium, she was shown arriving in Charleroi, coming straight from Amsterdam airport.

She looked OK, she wasn't interviewed as there was no time for the journalists. She was wearing her black warm-up jacket.

They interviewed her coach instead. He said she still couldn't believe this all happened, having beaten Serena, and claiming the championships title.

He added that she wanted to win tonight too, and at least give the crowd a good match.

They also showed Justine; she said she was very happy for Kim.

Elske
Nov 13th, 2002, 07:11 PM
both players are on court right now, pierre yves is there is well. Kim just gave Justine flowers because she's getting married on Saturday

Pinkie
Nov 13th, 2002, 07:12 PM
Awesome! Thanks, Ingrid! Oops, and Elske :hearts:

Elske
Nov 13th, 2002, 07:14 PM
emotional moment now!
they are showing images of kim's season :)

Elske
Nov 13th, 2002, 07:17 PM
interview with kim right now
she slept a couple of hours in the airplane, then a couple of hours in the car
she will fly to Australia on Friday
i don't understand half of it lol

ooooh kim got a dog! :eek: lmao

Elske
Nov 13th, 2002, 07:18 PM
they gave her a little puppy, she's really overwhelmed and she's giving it kisses lol

oh it's soooooooooo cute!!!

Pinkie
Nov 13th, 2002, 07:26 PM
Originally posted by Elske
they gave her a little puppy, she's really overwhelmed and she's giving it kisses lol

I can't believe I am missing all of this. If anybody gets a picture of kim and the puppy, be sure to post it.

angele87
Nov 13th, 2002, 07:38 PM

Awww :hearts: :hearts: :hearts:

:angel:

Thanks for the updates Elske :kiss:

Elske
Nov 13th, 2002, 07:38 PM
2-0 Kim

Kim looks very happy, she's smiling constantly :)

Elske
Nov 13th, 2002, 07:44 PM
justine breaks back 2-1

kim breaks 3-1

they are both playing well :)

Elske
Nov 13th, 2002, 07:47 PM
4-1 kim

angele87
Nov 13th, 2002, 07:50 PM
GO KIMMIE :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

ClijstersHewitt
Nov 13th, 2002, 07:51 PM
:wavey: Y'all

Tinne, I can't believe you're missing this either. :p

Pinkie
Nov 13th, 2002, 07:54 PM
Originally posted by ClijstersHewitt
:wavey: Y'all

Tinne, I can't believe you're missing this either. :p

Bastard! :p It's not like you can watch it either

Elleke
Nov 13th, 2002, 07:55 PM
6-1 kim

Elske
6-1 kim :o

KaseyL
thanks Elske!

the sound is really bad; I couldn't understand half of the French and the Dutch.

Kim is still in good shape imo; she plays really well! She is wearing the red outfit again.

She hugged Justine's fiance when she entered the court.

I had to laugh when she was singing with the music they were playing while they showed an overview of the season. One of the songs was from Meatloaf, think it was You took the words right out of my mouth.

LOL @ Lei, he has to take of the puppy imo.

ClijstersHewitt
Nov 13th, 2002, 07:56 PM
Originally posted by Pinkie

Bastard! :p It's not like you can watch it either

No shit, Sherlock. :p And even if I could watch it, I don't understand Flemish or French, so it would kind of be a moot point. :p

Is work as boing as school? :p

angele87
Nov 13th, 2002, 07:57 PM

She hugged Justine's fiance when she entered the court.

I had to laugh when she was singing with the music they were playing while they showed an overview of the season. One of the songs was from Meatloaf, think it was You took the words right out of my mouth.

LOL @ Lei, he has to take of the puppy imo.

:angel: :angel:

Elske
Nov 13th, 2002, 07:58 PM
i didn't understand most of the interview either :(
wasn't it paradise by the dashboard light? lol
the other songs where just like a pill-pink and k's choice-not an addict (i think)

angele87
I can't watch this either if it makes y'all feel better :p

KaseyL
Something I forgot: one of the few things I understood during Kim's interview is that the construction of the house is going slowly.

Kim is still looking very good imo, Justine looks very pale.
The French commentators are wondering whether Justine has a Kim complex?

Pinkie
Nov 13th, 2002, 07:59 PM

Is work as boing as school? :p

Oh, yes.

OMG, I have done the US-Belgium flight tons of times and the jetlag just kicks your ass. I can't believe Kim is still awake, let alone capable of giving Justine a first-set spanking like that.

Is Kim playing well or is Justine just not with it?

Elske
Nov 13th, 2002, 08:01 PM
someone just yelled: "you can't do anything about it, she's the best in the world!" in french :o

Kim is playing very well considering the fact that she only slept a few hours

angele87
Nov 13th, 2002, 08:03 PM
someone just yelled: "you can't do anything about it, she's the best in the world!" in french :o

LOL :D :o

KaseyL
Nov 13th, 2002, 08:04 PM
Kim is playing really well, Justine isn't too bad in the sense that she hit a few shots she better should have done at LA...

But well, the figures speak for themselves...

The commentators are hoping Kim isn't finishing this too fast...

One person just cried to Justine "Il n'a rien a faire, juju, Kim est la meilleure du monde!" (means, nothing to be done about it, Juju, Kim is the best of the world')

KaseyL
Nov 13th, 2002, 08:04 PM
LOL ELske, I posted the same thing, sorry

Elske
Nov 13th, 2002, 08:05 PM
mexican wave going through the stadium, kim and justine are participating

angele87
Nov 13th, 2002, 08:08 PM
mexican wave going through the stadium, kim and justine are participating

Cute! :D

Elske
Nov 13th, 2002, 08:12 PM
3-2 Justine

Elleke
Nov 13th, 2002, 08:17 PM
2-4

KaseyL
Nov 13th, 2002, 08:18 PM
Kim plays less accurate right now, Justine plays better imo

Lleykimmy1
Nov 13th, 2002, 08:19 PM
I hope that some of you will have some pictures, because it seems to be so cute, I really would like to be there ...

How much is it now ?

:wavey: :bounce: :wavey: :bounce: :wavey:

KaseyL
Kim was funny when she put her finger on her lips to let the public know to be a bit more silent while Justine was serving

Elske
it's 6-1,3-4 now :wavey:

angele87
Nov 13th, 2002, 08:21 PM
Kim was funny when she put her finger on her lips to let the public know to be a bit more silent while Justine was serving

:D :angel:

ClijstersHewitt
Nov 13th, 2002, 08:21 PM
Let's go Kimmy! :bounce:

And pff Tinne, of course Ezel isn't worth it. :p

Lleykimmy1
Nov 13th, 2002, 08:24 PM
I just have a question about this match, do they play as if it would be a real match in a tournament or are they laughing or so? As I know Kim, I think she laughs ;)

I hope you'll take lots of pictures and post them here !!

GO KIM !!!

KaseyL
Nov 13th, 2002, 08:25 PM
4 all, Kim equalled things (love game).

Kim was very funny again, she is really enjoying herself out there.
There was something in the crowd, dunno what, while Kim served, she hit the net, and turned to start laughing.

Elske
Nov 13th, 2002, 08:25 PM
6-1,5-4

angele87
Nov 13th, 2002, 08:26 PM
Marly why aren't you on AIM? :p

Elske
Nov 13th, 2002, 08:26 PM
Originally posted by Lleykimmy1
I just have a question about this match, do they play as if it would be a real match in a tournament or are they laughing or so? As I know Kim, I think she laughs ;)

GO KIM !!!

they are laughing a lot, during changeovers, they share a few words etc:)

angele87
Nov 13th, 2002, 08:27 PM

There was something in the crowd, dunno what, while Kim served, she hit the net, and turned to start laughing.

Kim is so cute :D

KaseyL
Nov 13th, 2002, 08:28 PM

GO KIM !!!

see my post LOL, you're spot on!

But kim and Justine aren't really playing like a normal match, it's far more relaxed, Kim laughs a lot and is very playful.

She also had a ball she hit in the net, the ballboy was running for it, she was faster though and took it to serve with it again...
:D

then next time she let the ballboy do his job; she then showed him with her left arm he was free to take it this time, while she was smiling :D

Lleykimmy1

they are laughing a lot, during changeovers, they share a few words etc:)

Belgian people are the most lucky people on earth !!! I would give everything I have to see Kim and Justine speaking and laughing !!
Another question, do they speak in English or does Kim speak french or Justine dutch ?

Elske
game set match, kim 6-1,6-4 :)

ClijstersHewitt
Originally posted by angele87
Marly why aren't you on AIM? :p

Use your brain, QG. :p I'm still at school. :p

ClijstersHewitt
Nov 13th, 2002, 08:30 PM
Way to go Kimmy! :D :kiss:

angele87
Nov 13th, 2002, 08:30 PM

Use your brain, QG. :p I'm still at school. :p

Well go home :p

angele87
Nov 13th, 2002, 08:31 PM
Congrats Kimmie :D :kiss:

Elske
Nov 13th, 2002, 08:32 PM
pfff WTAseason is really over now :sad:

anyway, i'm off now, goodnight every1! :kiss:

ClijstersHewitt
Nov 13th, 2002, 08:32 PM
Originally posted by angele87

Well go home :p

I can't leave while it's in session; I'd be suspended for truancy. :p

angele87
Nov 13th, 2002, 08:33 PM
Goodnight Elske and thanks for everything :wavey: :kiss:

angele87
Nov 13th, 2002, 08:34 PM

I can't leave while it's in session; I'd be suspended for truancy. :p

Pfff fine, I guess that's a good excuse :p

Pinkie
Nov 13th, 2002, 08:36 PM
Well, that was over in a hurry.

Thanks for keeping us updated, Elske, and Ingrid! I want lots of pictures!

Lleykimmy1
Nov 13th, 2002, 08:36 PM
Well done Kim !!
Did Kim and Justine speak in English ?
Is it finished now that the match is over or does it have something else after the match ?

Lleykimmy1
Nov 13th, 2002, 08:37 PM
Thank you very much for all the informations, you're the best !!

angele87
Nov 13th, 2002, 08:41 PM
Thanks everybody, you guys are great :D :kiss:

KaseyL
Nov 13th, 2002, 08:47 PM
It's really finished now, the exhibition match Kim-Justine was the last at this event. It started with music and a funny exhibition show with Bahrami (was really funny as usual, from what I've seen), and then they focused on justine as she was going to get married, and then Kim with the video of her season and the gift of the puppy :D

KaseyL
Nov 13th, 2002, 08:48 PM
Kim finished the match in less than an hour, it took 56 minutes if I have been paying attention LOL

She has been giving away all her stuff as usual: took all her stock of towels to throw them in the public.

KaseyL
Nov 13th, 2002, 08:51 PM
The Walloon commentators were praising Kim sky-high: saying she was the best player in the world right now. :)

La Deux will have a complete special about Kim this weekend, btw. All Belgians: WATCH IT LOL

KaseyL
Nov 13th, 2002, 08:55 PM
Something else, not interesting for Kim fans, but I post it here for Juju fans:

Justine has informed the WTA that she wants to be called Justine Hardenne from now on. (this doesn't surprise me as she isn't on good terms with her family, and as she is Walloon and they still have a bit the habit of using the husband's name rather than the flemish where it is very unusual).

KaseyL
Nov 13th, 2002, 08:56 PM
Well done Kim !!
Did Kim and Justine speak in English ?

No, no English as it would be pointless. The whole event was in French and Dutch. Justine only speaks French, doesn't really master Dutch at all.

KaseyL
Nov 13th, 2002, 09:00 PM
Thanks a lot Elske for keeping everyone updated!

Lleykimmy1
Nov 13th, 2002, 09:02 PM
Thank you for the information ! :wavey:

Come-on-kim
Nov 13th, 2002, 09:14 PM
Great match!!!

other things the commentators said : Kim didn't celebrated a lot her victory, she just drank champagne with Lei, coach, Janette Husarova (who won the doubles with Dementieva), Janette's coach in Kim's room!!!! So, funny to see she's so friend with a lot of players lol!!!

About the dog, it's a dog that she wanted since 10 years but Lei didn't want to buy the dog!!! So, she never had it!! And the tournament offered it to Kim!! She was overwhelmed by joy!!! She really loved this dog, she's been waiting for it since 10 years!! Poor Lei, he'll finally have the dog lol

Kim offered Justine a bouquet of flowers a great one!! nearly all her arms were covered by the flowers lol

Hawk
Nov 14th, 2002, 12:11 AM
The whole thing sounded sooo awesome! I wish I could have see it :(

Nov 14th, 2002, 01:00 AM
What were the final scores?

What type of dog is Kim getting?

Elke
Nov 14th, 2002, 01:06 AM
Kim won 6-1,6-4.
She got a really sweet wrinkly shi-tzu puppy! She was completely overwhelmed.:hearts:

Nov 14th, 2002, 01:10 AM
Great win for Kim, especially considering that she had only arrived in Belgium that morning (she must have been suffering from jetlag). Does anyone have a clearer pic of the puppy?

Hawk
Nov 14th, 2002, 01:32 AM
Does anyone have a clearer pic of the puppy?
Yeah! Bring on the puppy pics! :D

Pinkie
Nov 14th, 2002, 03:24 AM
Belgium Revels in Clijsters-Henin Feel-Good Match
BY TOM MILES
Reuters

BRUSSELS - Belgium rolled out the red carpet for its two favorite daughters on Wednesday as Kim Clijsters and Justine Henin entertained their fans in a good-natured exhibition match.

The in-form Clijsters, who won the WTA Tour Championships on Monday with victory over world number one Serena Williams, carried on from her recent success as she trounced the waif-like Henin for the second time in less than a week 6-1 6-4.

But the quality of tennis was not high on agenda on Wednesday.

French-speaking Henin, ranked fifth in the world, got into the party mood by accepting a prolonged kiss and a single red rose from her fiancé, Pierre-Yves Hardenne.

Flemish-speaking Clijsters also had her moment in the spotlight although her boyfriend, men's number one Lleyton Hewitt, was otherwise occupied in Shanghai for the Masters Cup.

Clijsters,19, was pleasantly surprised when a flurry of flowers was thrown her way. But the flowers were soon forgotten as the world number four focused her attention on another present -- a wrinkly shi-tzu puppy.

Despite the one-sided scoreline, Henin -- Wimbledon runner-up in 2001 -- wowed the crowd with her bold and blistering passing shots during the first set.

But a missed smash in the fourth game allowed Clijsters to break and roar away with the first set.

With the match slipping away from her, Henin upped the tempo and dazzled her fans with a succession of outlandish shots.

Thoroughly enjoying the on-court exhibition, the crowd made their own contribution to the festivities by bursting into a spontaneous Mexican wave.

Henin joined in, but Clijsters simply shook her head and laughed. She was having fun but not enough to risk losing.

Clijsters is also likely to be the last player to ever beat Henin because on Sunday the 20-year-old will become Justine Hardenne when she marries her fiancé.

KaseyL
Nov 14th, 2002, 04:29 AM
thanks a lot for the article!

Justine is going to marry on Saturday, though.
And Kim got rather an English bulldog than the dog they mention here... :confused:

A little thing from the Belgian newspapers today: Kim tried to sleep a bit in the car that took her from Amsterdam to Charleroi (she arrived at Schiphol airport at 1 PM). She only had some two hours sleep before landing, a newspaper is writing.
It didn't look that way on court! :)

KaseyL
Nov 14th, 2002, 05:50 AM
Flemish Radio 1 just had a special re the Tennis Night.

They said that the new dog's name will be Beauty.

Kim told she was baffled when they offered the puppy :)

She spoke a bit in Dutch and French to the crowd yesterday, btw.

gokimmie
Nov 14th, 2002, 07:47 AM
actually it's an english bulldog;)

KaseyL
Nov 14th, 2002, 08:46 AM
Originally posted by gokimmie
actually it's an english bulldog;)

Thanks Eva for confirming!

I thought it couldn't be that dog they mentionned in the article, that breed looks so totally different LOL. (reporters sometimes :rolleyes: )

gokimmie
Nov 14th, 2002, 09:00 AM
they said she got a shit-zu :rolleyes:that a realy small dog with very long hair:rolleyes:the were probably thinking of a shar-pei ,those are chinese dogs with lots of wrinckles;)

KaseyL
Nov 14th, 2002, 09:37 AM
I haven't got time yet to start the translations of today's newspaper articles (still working on yesterday's :o HELP, Belgian journalists have been writing day and night :D ), nevertheless don't want to keep this from you all:

Kim told Belgian journalists from Het Belang van Limburg that she will travel with Lleyton through Australia the next couple of weeks. She says: "I have seen only a little bit of Australia besides Adelaide, that must change now."

She wants to rest and relax the first weeks, doesn't want to think about tennis.

She won't be able to put her feet up today, though:
she has meetings to discuss contracts today, there is the party at Bree tonight (where she should be for an hour) and she has to pack her bags to leave for Australia tomorrow.

gentenaire
Nov 14th, 2002, 09:44 AM

I was there:) Someone backstage must have dropped a tray of glasses or something. The sound of the glass breaking could be heard clearly on court and it happened just as Kim was serving. That's why her serve went wrong and why everyone was laughing.

Bigkimfan
Nov 14th, 2002, 10:07 AM
Kim threw a towel in my direction, I was standing alone with a girl, and I missed it!!!!!!!! I can believe it!!!!!:sad: Maybe someone saw it, I am the boy with the white sweater...

Come on Kim!!! :bounce: :bounce:

ans
Nov 14th, 2002, 10:32 AM
I was there yesterday in Charleroi and I can tell you: Kim and Justine were just simply wonderful. It wasn't a real all-concentrated match; they were both smiling and laughing and enjoying! Even Justine didn't care she was compeletely losing the match, she just kept on smiling. The crowd was constantly going mad and Justine and Kim joined in. It was a unique experience to be there. They both did a little speech after the match. Kim said she was completely overwhelmed and so happy: she congratulated Justine on her wonderful season and she said she forgot to thank some people in her speech in LA. So she waved to her coach and her family and thanked them all for supporting her. Before the match there was also a small interview, indeed it wasn't easy to understand because the host could't really speak Dutch. Kim said that she wasn't really tired and that she had slept in the car and she talked about her house: that the building process went a bit slow but that she liked it veeery much. And then they asked her whether she already had an alarm system and that they had bought the best alarm system of Europe for her; and then they presented her the cute little dog. Before that they asked Justine to pick her most favourite groom from 11 ballboys, but then they said: ooooooo, we forgot about one boy and then Pierre-Yves came in, in smoking and he kneeled for her with a rose in his hand.....so cute! Great evening!!! :wavey:

ans
Nov 14th, 2002, 11:30 AM
Ingrid, I can help you a bit with translating articles if you want: here's one out of "Het Nieuwsblad", there are some really nice pictures (kim with her dog, Justine hugging Piere-Yves), but I don't have a scanner, sorry.

Ovation and a bulldog puppy for world champion Kim Clijsters:
"I'm compeltely overwhelmed"

Serena Williams couldn't impress Kim enough in the finals of the Masters to keep her from her world title. But nevertheless Kim has some vulnerable spots. "I'm completely overwhelmed", she said yesterday while accepting a really deafening ovation and a cute bulldog puppy of five weeks old. This was the starting shot for an exhibition match in Charleroi against Justine Henin. The number 4 of the world rankings against the number 5 during the Proximus Diamond Tennis Night: Belgium is living in the lap of tennis luxury.

The decibel metre already went red when Pierre-Yves Hardenne chilvalrously kneeled for his fiancée Justine Hénin. Even the often tensed Walloon completely melted. And when Clijsters appeared on the court, the crowd could no longer be stopped:bounce: : almost 7000 fans went crazy in La Coupole.
Nice to see how happy a tennis millionaire can be with a little puppy as a gift. "My favourite breed for almost ten years", Kim said with great emotion. An English bulldog, a breed that father Lei never wanted in his house before. But...Kim's own house in Bree is almost finished and of course other laws apply there.
They had a journey of 26 hours from LA behind them. "We did drink a glass of champagne but we didn't build a party", said father Lei. But was Kim tired after that endless trip from LA via Schiphol to Charleroi? "No," she said herself, "I slept really well in the car. I'm still fresh enough to party all night long."
If Clijsters was still fresh, Hénin wasn't. "I'm tired", she said, "I landed in Belgium on Sunday and since then I've been doing almost nothing. And I haven't touched a tennis racket. After the Masters the season really ends, then you get complete decompression. Tonight there is no competition, but a big party."
And what did Henin think of Clijster's Masters-triumph? "Super, of course. She played on a top level for a whole week, actually even the complete indoor season. And the 6-1 6-4 against me? I was weak, Kim was very solid (smile). She didn't even have to produce world tennis to beat me, no. I needed rest. I've been suffering from a tendon inflammation in my shoulder for already a month now. Nothing alarming, but the holidays are welcome."
Henin is getting married to her Pierre-Yves on Saturday. "But it's not like a lot of things are changing. I consider this as a kind of official confirmation of what Pierre-Yves and I have been sharing for 4 years now. Only I'm playing tennis next year with a longer name: Justine Henin Hardenne."
First Henin is going on a honeymoon trip for two weeks. Where to? "euhm...an isle." In a sea or an ocean? "Euhm...indeed.", said Henin. Now you know as much as we do. And your wedding dress? "It's not been designed by Venus Williams.":D

(small article underneath: Cijsters again too strong for Henin)
Of course it didn't matter who won this exhibition match. But nevertheless, it was again Kim Clijsters who got the best of it. In the first set, which only lasted 23 minutes, Henin didn't get any chance. She lost 3 service games and only broke back once: 6-1. There was a bit more tension in the second set, although the match seemed to become a complete walk-over when Clijsters won the opening game on love, while Henin was on serve. But also in the next three games none of the two players was able to keep her serve: 2-2.
An enthusiastic wave inspired Henin (2-4), but Clijsters quickly put things straight again. The world champion came back to 4-4 and broke the serve of henin for the seventh time with a sublime lob (5-4). Clijsters finished it with the second match point on her own serve: 6-4 in 56 minutes.

(sorry if I made any mistakes)

BelgianGirl
Nov 14th, 2002, 03:40 PM
Journalist don't seem to know much about dogs! Shame on you, guys! :o
An English Bulldog is totally different than a Shi-tzu! :rolleyes: Somewhere else they wrote it was a Shar-pei!
I'm so happy for her she got a puppy! I want one too!!! :angel: :p

valentine
Nov 14th, 2002, 07:39 PM
I went to the tennis diamond night yesterday...It was soooooooo cool!Now I want to go back!:sad: But I'm happy to have seen both!
Kim and Justine were always smiling!I took 26 photos but I don't have any scanner so I can't show it!

KaseyL
Nov 14th, 2002, 07:46 PM
Thanks a lot everyone, for sharing your experiences! Very happy for you all!

KaseyL
Nov 14th, 2002, 07:47 PM
Ans, many thanks for translating the article from Het Nieuwsblad!

KaseyL
Nov 14th, 2002, 07:49 PM
On a side note, one of the headlines in a Flemish newspaper today was:' "Mister Clijsters" less successful at his Masters ',
referring to Lleyton.

KaseyL
Nov 14th, 2002, 07:56 PM
another little thing re Kim and the dog:

Kim named the dog Beauty because she likes this breed, although many people don't think they are beautiful. That's what she said tonight on Flemish TV when asked about the name.

The reporter tried to be funny, said something like (freely translated) 'while Justine got a husband, Kim got something better; a dog, as he will listen to her.'

KaseyL
Nov 14th, 2002, 07:59 PM
Originally posted by valentine
I went to the tennis diamond night yesterday...It was soooooooo cool!Now I want to go back!:sad: But I'm happy to have seen both!
Kim and Justine were always smiling!I took 26 photos but I don't have any scanner so I can't show it!

Valentine, if need be, I am pretty sure some people in here might volunteer to scan a few of your preferred pics!? Just let us know.

Majo
Nov 14th, 2002, 08:00 PM
i LOVED the match!!! it's great to see them both play in such a relaxed mood!!! kim's won very convincing again :) (feel pretty sorry for justine though, but hey, there can only win one... ;) )

so congrats to kim!!! have a nice holiday, and we'll be watching you in the Australian Open!!! (and good luck with the puppy :D)

kit
Nov 14th, 2002, 08:23 PM
:bounce: :bounce: Thanks for the articles!!:bounce: :bounce:
Kim and Beauty:A nice couple!!! :p ;) :lick: :) :bounce: :bounce:

KaseyL
Nov 20th, 2002, 11:03 AM
Latest translation!

From a Walloon newspaper: (think some people were asking for this article btw)

Source : La Meuse, Nov. 15, 2002

The ’Golden Shoe’ 1988 manages all non-sportive business of his daughter : with a lot of attention, sometimes too much...
Papa Mother-hen, Lei Clijsters?

An interview with Lei Clijsters

(translated by Ingrid)

Lei Clijsters, you have been in Los Angeles to experience the incredible exploit of your daughter Kim. What were your feelings?

Lei: ‘It’s an uncalled feeling. I bursted out with joy like I had won the World Cup Football! Although a lot of people wouldn’t agree, I consider winning a Masters is even better than winning a Grand Slam... Kim proved there (in LA) that she is the best of the top 16 at present, she has beaten the Williams sisters, Rubin and the world number 4, Justine then. And even more, she did it in such a way! It’s easy to say that she has benefited from Venus retiring, but right from the beginning she had her by the throat. And in regard to the final against Serena, the American TV spectators have qualified the match as the best one of the season: that’s not nothing for a little Belgian defeating 6 Americans in their home country.
Furthermore, seeing the Lakers’ home with pics of Kim on the walls, that’s quite impressive too, though, isn’t it?’

Did you have doubts when she came back injured from the Australian Open?

Lei: ‘Let’s say it’s never pleasant to hear that your daughter suffers from the shoulder. Consequently, we have taken the decision to lighten her program and to take the necessary time of rest. Next, we have seperated ways with Carl Maes, and we needed a more solid team with especially a full-time physiotherapist. I have had many conversations, maybe not to find the best ones, but definetely to select the best fitting personalities in regard to Kim as I know her character of course... I am telling myself right now that she certainly would have been world number three by now if Kim wouldn’t have got all these occurrences.’

Is Kim able to overtake the Williamses at the top of the rankings ?

Lei:’Who knows? Kim, in any case, has proved that it is possible to beat them. But to climb up in the rankings, it is necessary that she will be far more consistent. It isn’t really easy to be at the top. It’s like in football, there are good periods, then less good ones: one has to be there at the right moments. And furthermore, when the women have their problem each 4 weeks, that plays a role too. Ach, yes! One never talks about it, but it’s a fact...’ :o ;)

One can imagine that the sponsoring requests have poured in again, with this new triumph of Kim?

Lei: ‘Yes, I have received lots of offers, but I can’t sign anything no more! First, because there are extravagant requests for photo shoots which would take two days in Spain. I can’t impose that on Kim, even when it might shock certain sponsors. Her program is already loaded enough now, I want her to keep her head calm. And for the rest, we are already fully booked. We have contracts which run for another two years with Sanex, Siemens and Belgacom, and one more year with Mitsubishi. Furthermore, some other little deals, that’s it then.’

And what about Fila, isn’t the contract ending this year?

Lei: ‘Yes, and I have just met their representatives this Thursday morning. They have handed me a contract of 18 pages that I have to read again with my lawyer now. We still have to continue discussions, as I don’t like certain elements, especially concerning the obligations imposed on Kim. I won’t take a decision before December. Because I also have received a very nice offer of Yonex (note: equipment of Seles, Hingis and... Hewitt) and when the Japonese want something... The only obstacle is that Kim would be obliged to change rackets. Because for the moment she is at ease with her Babolat. It’s like one feels comfortable with his football shoes. Yonex tries to copy her racket, but I remain sceptical.’

Does Kim have a final word in all of these discussions?

Lei: ‘Yes, I always ask her opinion, but I know what she will answer...’

You never sign contracts beyond three years?

Lei: ‘No, that’s not possible with Kim, as she is unpredictable. Maybe in three years from now she will quit tennis to have a baby. She has built a large house because she wants many children, so...’ :eek: :p

At the age of nineteen, she already has a solid bank account. Don’t you fear that it will get to her head, one day?

Lei: ‘That, no! Money isn’t something that motivates her. But I’d like to put certain figures into perspective. The taxes are huge in Belgium, and then, one has to know that the costs of a season mount at almost 24 million francs (€ 600000) of which 7 million (€ 175000) only for nothing else than flying.’

OK, Lei, but nevertheless when one earns more than 65 million in old francs (€ 1625000) per annum, in prize money, and then all the commercial earnings...

Lei: ‘Yes, but the people don’t realise all that one has to pay, though. Nights at hotels at 15000 francs (€ 375), and not speaking of all the rest: those also, all of that makes quite a package in the final net calculation.’

We don’t hear you complaining, though?

Lei: ‘No, but it counts...’

(interview with Yves Simon)

END

Bigkimfan
Nov 20th, 2002, 12:15 PM
Thanks a lot for the article!!!!

Come on Kim!!!!:bounce: :bounce:

kit
Nov 20th, 2002, 05:04 PM
Thanks Ingrid!!:kiss: :kiss: :kiss:

Lleykimmy1
Nov 20th, 2002, 08:23 PM
Thank you very much Ingrid, you are great !:wavey:

duck
Nov 20th, 2002, 09:31 PM
Thanks! He sounds like a no-nonsense type of guy.

pcabenojar
Nov 21st, 2002, 07:54 AM
Thanks for the article/translations. :)

KaseyL
Nov 21st, 2002, 09:56 AM
Another article from La Meuse newspaper, Nov 15, 2002:

Hardly a quiet day at home and Kim Clijsters is already heading to Australia!

‘Don’t believe I am going to win everything in 2003!’

by Yves Simon
(translation by Ingrid)

Having slept in Charleroi the night of Wednesday to Thursday, Kim Clijsters has only returned home no earlier than yesterday afternoon. Just enough time to visit her close relatives and friends, to walk the two dogs at home, and the “World Champion” was expected to attend yet another new ceremony to honour her.

Because, yesterday at 6.30 PM, the entire community of Bree, more than 2000 people, gathered in the Bree basketball home the “Expodroom” to tell her “bravo”.

And today, Kim will already leave for Australia, and Adelaide, where she will await her fiance Lleyton Hewitt. ‘Finally vacation!’, she anticipates. ‘I will take all the time that I will need to rest under the sun and on the beach. I haven’t seen much of Australia yet, but with Lleyton, we have planned to act like tourists a bit. It seems that Queensland is fantastic for some excursions at sea. But don’t be afraid, I don’t think I will dare to dive because there are sharks there...’

Two or three weeks vacation and then it will be time for Kim to think of serious things again. ‘2003? Quite frankly, I haven’t thought about that, yet. First let me the time to enjoy these moments, even today I don’t realise yet what has happened in LA. Although I have received so many congratulations, even from players like Seles, Capriati or the Williams sisters, I still can’t believe it, though...

Everyone is asking me now if I am going to win a Grand Slam, but it’s not because I have won the Masters that I am going to win everything in 2003. No, this title will not change a thing about me. I will continue to play in every match to win it and we will see where it will bring me. What’s important today, is to recuperate now.’

Because Kim is very tired, although her new “exhibition” victory over Henin would seem to prove otherwise. ‘I certainly had extra energy because it was my last match and above all because of the support of the crowd, but I can certify you that I am exhausted.’

Like a little elder of 98 years old like Serena Williams described herself at the finals in LA? ‘I don’t know how it feels at that age, but it’s clear that after having played that much and slept such a little bit, I am asking myself how I am still standing...’

END

Nov 21st, 2002, 10:44 AM
Thanks Ingrid...and notice that they said fiance again?

KaseyL
Nov 21st, 2002, 11:03 AM
Thanks Ingrid...and notice that they said fiance again?

LOL, they do that quite a lot in the Belgian media... :D

btw I am really surprised that no Kim fans have reacted here re Lei's quote about Kim's large house and the rest *cough*...

well, Lleykis, Kim fans, anyone willing to comment? :angel:

keta
Nov 21st, 2002, 12:15 PM
:D :D :) :) re The quote Ingrid! I Dont know because lei says stuff about kim having kids early and soo dose kim ( i think :o:o ) soooooooooo That all equalss oe happy ending Kimm having kids!! :p:p Nah i dont know!!

Zoecrick
Nov 21st, 2002, 04:45 PM
Sorry for being stupid but where do i find the articles Kacey?

KaseyL
Nov 21st, 2002, 05:01 PM
Hi and welcome, Zoecrick.

You can find these in the thread under 'Proximus ...'

KaseyL
Nov 21st, 2002, 08:11 PM
Also from last week, published on Saturday:

A different sound in the flood of praise of Kim...
No surprise as this columnist usually isn’t really too flattering re the Clijsters clan (banned by them since end 1999 I think).

Anyway, a good example of how a sports columnist of a Flemish newspaper, that aims to write for the progressive younger generations, is writing about Kim. It's not always hail and praise Kim Clijsters in Belgium either. Think Kim fans from other countries should know this too, so I decided to post this one now, as an example. It's not censured by me in any way.

Source: De Morgen, November 15, 2002

Laika

Weekly Sports Column by Hans Vandeweghe

(Translated by Ingrid)

Did you see it this week on TV? That puppy, didn’t it look a bit too much like daddy?
Have you read this in the ads this week? “Ex-footb. appl. for job in 3rd div., as alternative for insufferable parental behaviour in tennis. To use as a mop also.”

You’ll see; it always will go like this. At a moment you were thinking that everything was OK again, that tranquility had come over the land once again, that everyone has found his place, that his daughter would be Sports Woman of the Year once again, especially then it has pleased dad Clijsters to scold Belgium and more in particularly the sports media. We wouldn’t be supporting his daughter fanatically enough. It would be very different in the States. Because there were 10000 enthusiastic people in Staples Center.
That is half of what can be there and is really there when the Lakers play and 10000 in the States is a nice average for a high school volleyball game for girls of 16 years old, as I have been able to notice that myself one day.

That the numerous crowd that came for the celebration in the basketball temple of Bree easily could have fit in a local parish hall as well, that was the own fault of the Clijsters clan. They’d let it appear that Kim wouldn’t have time (for that nonsense). Furthermore, the weeping-willow of Bree considered it also typical Belgian that there were questions asked in regard to the level of the Masters, but he would still take revenge: anyone who would have been guilty of giving remarks that put things into perspective, wouldn’t have to count on interviews no more. (Good, because there all already too many stupid quotes appearing on the sports pages anyway.)

Why so? No attention? The newspapers were full of it. The Flemish Tennis Journalist Fan Travel Club wasn’t in LA, but that had nothing to do with a lack of respect, but with a lack of money. Maybe father C. should consider to also invite the friendly journalists for once. Even Genk does (did) this nowadays when it plays an European match and they don’t earn $ 750000 in one week. (although, if they’d won once, though...)
What a provincial also, that Lei. Typically such a football player who hasn’t digested that Bellemans yet. Immediately going to calculate for us how much of that $ 750000 is going to be lost to taxes and costs. And also in the same effort of the moment jeopardising the Fed Cup participation of his daughter. Because of the unprofessional organisation around the team. Look in my eyes – right, there were the dollar signs are – and read: my daughter wants to step on court with her own sponsors and not with those of the Federation.

And why so? Remarks about the sportive value of the Masters? The entire field of participants could fit, except a few entire exceptions (Henin) and semi-exceptions (Clijsters), in the Sea Sanatorium of De Haan [note: revalidation clinic on the Belgian coast] just like that, if there still would be some room, but that is no demeaning remark, but merely an objective assessment.

No, nothing really can be detracted from the victory of Kim Clijsters. The women’s tennis is what it is since years, the girl Clijsters is standing there at the top and that is well done, end of story. Besides, I have the biggest admiration for her mentality. These two black bulldozers are rolling over everyone since years now, but time and time again Kim Clijsters commences the job with an un-Belgian attitude. Do or die. Going for it, just playing her game, banging, ramming, and seeing where the ship will be wrecked. This time the ship didn’t end up wrecked, and you can rely on it that the Williams sisters have got a rap.
Henin-Hardenne too, by the way, through which the Belgian hierarchy has been confirmed once again at the same time.

Do or die. Banging, ramming. Seeing where the ship will be wrecked. That’s something I have missed seeing the Belgian football teams in the Champions League, for example. Truly too bad that Kim Clijsters isn’t a football player.

This leaves me one urgent question; but as I am on the Black List of Lei
for eternity, it will probably remain unanswered.
Why did this puppy need to be called Beauty?
Laika is a far more suitable name.

END

Nov 21st, 2002, 11:57 PM

LOL, they do that quite a lot in the Belgian media... :D

btw I am really surprised that no Kim fans have reacted here re Lei's quote about Kim's large house and the rest *cough*...

well, Lleykis, Kim fans, anyone willing to comment? :angel:

That's nothing. During the Australian coverage of the Masters Cup, one of the commentators called Kim "Lleyton's wife"...then had to correct himself in case Lleyton found out :p

Kim spoke a bit about wanting kids at a young age, but that was when she was injured, so maybe now that she has recovered and is playing well playing well again, she will want to wait a bit longer...and how do we know that we're not just getting baby talk from Lei all the time because he wants grandchildren?

pcabenojar
Nov 22nd, 2002, 02:09 AM
KaseyL, this is an article sent to be by Sanstamtam, she did a few translations, towards the end of the article I guess, I posted part of her translations at one of the threads.

Favor please, maybe if you have some free time, you can translate this, I know you have tons of articles to translate but I can wait.....Thanks so much in advance! :) Here's the article...

Lleyton Hewitt, le fiancé de Kim Clijsters, est le N°1 du tennis mondial

Le nouveau patron du tennis mondial, c’est bien lui!À 21 ans, Lleyton Hewitt a conservé sa couronne de Maître en disposant, à Shanghaï (Chine), du Suisse Roger Federer (7-5, 5-7, 7-5) en 180 minutes puis de l’Espagnol Juan Carlos Ferrero (7-5, 7-5, 2-6, 2-6, 6-4) en 3 h 52 minutes.

Deux batailles qui ont confirmé cet immense appétit de gagner de l’Australien qui est ainsi le premier à conserver sa couronne au Masters depuis Pete Sampras (96/97).

Face à Federer, il a ainsi sauvé dix-sept des 22 balles de break qu’il avait concédées. Hier, après s’être fait remonté de 2-0 à 2-2, il a trouvé les ressources physiques et mentales pour repousser le va-tout de Ferrero, 4e joueur mondial.

Je crois que je viens de vivre une des plus belles semaines de ma vie. Pas seulement parce que j’ai gagné. Il y a d’abord eu le succès de Kim à Los Angeles puis surtout la manière dont j’ai su surmonter toutes les difficultés des cinq matches que j’ai dû livrer ici en Chine. Être consacré numéro 1 mondial, c’est votre vraie place?

Ce n’est pas MA place. J’y suis, je veux y rester mais la concurrence reste ouverte. Être no 1, c’est surtout beaucoup travailler. Rester number one, c’est un combat permanent contre soi. Ne jamais baisser sa garde. Ça ne s’arrête jamais. Peu importe le temps que j’aurai passé au sommet. C’est le chemin parcouru qui me rend si fier de moi.

Mais l’ambition de gagner les plus beaux titres est très tentante. Devenir no 1, c’est entrer dans un cercle vicieux. Tu veux le rester mais tu veux aussi gagner les tournois du Grand Chelem. Or pour ces grands rendez-vous, tu as besoin de te préparer. Cette année, j’ai gagné Wimbledon et l’US Open et j’ai obtenu la première place. Dans le futur, je vais sans jouer moins et reléguer la traque du rang de numéro 1 au second planVous avez réussi à bien séparer le tennis et la vie de tous les jours.

C’est un besoin. Je ne veux pas de saturation. Vous savez quel est mon plus grand frisson de l’année après Wimbledon? Un match de charité de foot australien devant 27.000 personnes. Un pur bonheur.

En cinq ans de circuit, vous avez enfin cassé cette image de sale gosse: Je suis sans doute apaisé. Il faut commettre des erreurs pour apprendre. Je suis surtout très fier d’être un modèle pour des milliers de gosses australiens…

La présence de Kim Clijsters vous apporte la sérénité nécessaire.

La savoir près de moi me rend encore plus fort. Le fait de partager de grandes victoires avec elle compense les sacrifices consentis quand nos tournois nous éloignent l’un de l’autre. Depuis trois ans qu’on se connaît, ma vision sur le tennis et la vie n’a pas changé mais rendu les événements plus forts. Je ne sais pas l’expliquer mais je crois que Kim fait de moi, chaque jour, un homme meilleur…

KaseyL
Nov 22nd, 2002, 09:18 AM
Originally posted by pcabenojar
KaseyL, this is an article sent to be by Sanstamtam, she did a few translations, towards the end of the article I guess, I posted part of her translations at one of the threads.

Favor please, maybe if you have some free time, you can translate this, I know you have tons of articles to translate but I can wait.....Thanks so much in advance! :) Here's the article...

Lleyton Hewitt, le fiancé de Kim Clijsters, est le N°1 du tennis mondial

I'll do it, no prob, this article from the La Meuse newspaper is on my list. :)

There are quite a number of articles with some :hearts: headlines :) :

a little selection of what's on my 'to do list': (*cough* a bit of advertising for CCL ;) )

So Kim fans, coming up: :angel:

- "The couple of the year 2002. Clijsters and Hewitt, love and victory":text in full will be posted

- "Lleyton Hewitt number one. He joins his fiancee..." highlights

Nov 22nd, 2002, 09:20 AM

So Kim fans, coming up: :angel:

- "The couple of the year 2002. Clijsters and Hewitt, love and victory":text in full will be posted

- "Lleyton Hewitt number one. He joins his fiancee..." highlights

I can't wait! Thanks for all the translations Ingrid

Zoecrick
Nov 27th, 2002, 01:34 PM
Sorry to be a pain but where do i find the articles "Hewitt joins his fiance" and"Hewitt no 1 ". Also is the French one translated ? Again sorry to be a pain!!

KaseyL
Nov 28th, 2002, 07:42 AM
Originally posted by Zoecrick
Sorry to be a pain but where do i find the articles "Hewitt joins his fiance" and"Hewitt no 1 ". Also is the French one translated ? Again sorry to be a pain!!

You're no pain, though!

I have been too busy to start doing these, sorry. I first will translate the "LOVE AND VICTORY" one :angel: ;) , hope I can make that today, no promises but check regularly! ;) btw both articles were in French.