PDA

View Full Version : Dokic, Henin among Miami wildcards

MarkyMark
Mar 17th, 2010, 02:00 PM
Dokic, Henin among Miami wildcards
Ticker - Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Women's Miami wildcards: Justine Henin, Anastasia Pivovarova, Arantxa Rus, Jelena Dokic, Michelle Larcher de Brito, Heather Watson, Ajla Tomljanovic, Petra Martic.

Lets hope Jelena can kick start her season, I just feel like its wasting away. I know I should not give up hope but it makes me sad seeing another L in her column

A-Bond
Mar 17th, 2010, 02:25 PM
Great choices ;) I just wish Nicole would have played one last time... Doesn't matter if she loses, one stunning FH-winner would be enough...

Yarden
Mar 17th, 2010, 02:38 PM
Love these Wc's :) Too bad Alicia didn't get one :sad:

Good luck Juju, Jelena, Heather and Pivovarova.

Nicole :sad:

DragonFlame
Mar 17th, 2010, 02:41 PM
Great choices! :worship:

Go justine, arantxa, jelena!:bounce:

goldenlox
Mar 17th, 2010, 02:41 PM
Justine was just going to play IW.
I guess she wants another match or 2 before clay.

youizahoe
Mar 17th, 2010, 02:43 PM
Old news. Justine received the wildcard even before going into IW :lol:

DragonFlame
Mar 17th, 2010, 02:43 PM
Justine was just going to play IW.

No she wasn't, it's been on her calendar since the start. Everyone just assumed because she didn't really liked to play there in the past.

doktor
Mar 17th, 2010, 02:46 PM
glad Dokic got one, even though its probably gonna go to waste after her recent form, but don't really understand why Molik didn't get one, especially after her performance in IW... I think she probably should have had priority over most of the girls there...

youizahoe
Mar 17th, 2010, 02:48 PM
No she wasn't, it's been on her calendar since the start. Everyone just assumed because she didn't really liked to play there in the past.

It wasn't on her calendar first. It was added as soon as she got a maindraw wildcard ;)

fouc
Mar 17th, 2010, 02:51 PM
qWC anyone?

joćo.
Mar 17th, 2010, 02:53 PM
Michelle & Arantxa :woohoo: Win some matches!

mauresmofan
Mar 17th, 2010, 02:56 PM
It's absolutely absurd that Alicia Molik hasn't gotten one - on the list of people who have recently recieved a wc for events this year she's the best behind Henin at performing behind it. You're just throwing away a wc on Dokic at this point cause she's hopeless.

burn
Mar 17th, 2010, 03:02 PM
Nastya. Again. :fiery:

Lucemferre
Mar 17th, 2010, 03:08 PM

goldenox again telling lies in favor of IW. Very weird. Are you really working there? :tape::lol: Henin played Miami more in her career.She skipped IW and played miami 4 times.

DragonFlame
Mar 17th, 2010, 03:17 PM
It wasn't on her calendar first. It was added as soon as she got a maindraw wildcard ;)

pfff if you want to be nit picky... The intention to play miami was there since the start. like she wasn't going to get a WC:p

Monirena Wiles
Mar 17th, 2010, 03:21 PM
Good choices, but I thought they would recognize what 16 year old Sloan Stephens accomplished at Indian Wells and reward her with a wild-card too.

akosijepoy
Mar 17th, 2010, 03:22 PM
how come Michele L. de Brito always gets a wildcard? Can't they just give it to Sloane or some young american?

Freakan
Mar 17th, 2010, 04:12 PM
It's March and Molik already received 5 (!!!) MD WC's this year. That's way more than enough, she's no Henin.

tucker1989
Mar 17th, 2010, 04:14 PM
Zero Americans? That's a little low, Miami

Golovinjured.
Mar 17th, 2010, 05:19 PM
No US players :eek:

Cmon Jelena, play some good tennis.

Aravanecaravan
Mar 17th, 2010, 05:32 PM
how come Michele L. de Brito always gets a wildcard? Can't they just give it to Sloane or some young american?

Maybe the ACME Earplug Company is increasing their sponsorship of Miami this year in an attempt to boost sales....

Valanga
Mar 17th, 2010, 05:46 PM
Dokic is a bye right now

Fretchap
Mar 17th, 2010, 05:51 PM
Jelena hasn't earnt this WC, but I'm still glad she got one :bounce:

Mastodon
Mar 17th, 2010, 06:00 PM
Dokic is a bye right now

Unfortunately that's very true.

Wiggly
Mar 17th, 2010, 06:51 PM
It's March and Molik already received 5 (!!!) MD WC's this year. That's way more than enough, she's no Henin.

Maybe the Australian Open has an agreement with some tournaments.
Like, I give you a QWC and you give me a MDWC.

The weird thin is that Miami WCs always go to some IMG students that aren't going anywhere. Pivavora has gottent a WC for the last 25 years and she's 20 maybe.

madlove
Mar 17th, 2010, 06:56 PM
oh man... poor molik

DokDi
Mar 17th, 2010, 07:18 PM
I would never waste a WC on a BYE (Dokic).
Still, glad she got one.:p

Cookie Power
Mar 17th, 2010, 07:24 PM
Dokic really needs to just go away. Hope she loses in the first round.

faboozadoo15
Mar 17th, 2010, 07:48 PM
No Americans? :rolleyes:

Shame on you, Miami....

tennisforadults
Mar 17th, 2010, 08:34 PM
I'm happy for Jelena to get a WC but it screams 'WASTED' based on her recent form. Alicia should have got one.

tennisforadults
Mar 17th, 2010, 08:37 PM

I thought there were only 4 wildcards - Brisbane, Hobart, Australian Open and Indian Wells. Dubai she got to main draw through qualifying!!!

This means 3 of the 4 WCs are Aussie, which are expected. Only 1 from overseas tournaments... that's definitely not enough!

faboozadoo15
Mar 17th, 2010, 08:40 PM
I love her and all, but are people really lining up to see Dokic's ambivalent performances these days?

Aravanecaravan
Mar 17th, 2010, 08:51 PM
I love her and all, but are people really lining up to see Dokic's ambivalent performances these days?

This is just my personal observation from Miami last year--the buzz was that people were curious about her, having come back and had success at the AO, and being hyped as a former top 4 player. There were quite a few people at her first match last year, and a fair number of people at her practices--not like the big stars, but maybe 20-30 people hanging around and watching, which is a good number at Miami.

This year will be interesting to see, because she has done almost nothing in the past year. I imagine there will still be a few there, ogling, but I suspect most of the casual tennis fans who populate the Miami event will be watching the big names at the top of the rankings, no different than any other year. Bottom line is, I don't think there'd be any more people turning out for a match featuring a young American--the crowd in Miami is 90% foreign...

Freakan
Mar 17th, 2010, 08:59 PM
I thought there were only 4 wildcards - Brisbane, Hobart, Australian Open and Indian Wells. Dubai she got to main draw through qualifying!!!

This means 3 of the 4 WCs are Aussie, which are expected. Only 1 from overseas tournaments... that's definitely not enough!

Add Kuala Lumpur to that. And as after Australian tournament January there were only 5 tournament-weeks and she received 3 WCs (2 MDWCs + QWC in Dubai) so this really is more than enough.

cn ireland
Mar 17th, 2010, 09:12 PM
Please win a match here Jelena;)!

adner
Mar 17th, 2010, 09:45 PM
I wonder, why would they give a WC to Pivovarova?

DomenicDemaria
Mar 18th, 2010, 12:39 AM
:tape: At some of the wildcards. Alicia deserves one more than Rus, Dokic, Larcher de Brito, Watson and Tomljanovic.

So Disrespectful
Mar 18th, 2010, 01:10 AM
It's absolutely absurd that Alicia Molik hasn't gotten one - on the list of people who have recently recieved a wc for events this year she's the best behind Henin at performing behind it. You're just throwing away a wc on Dokic at this point cause she's hopeless.

As more of a Dokic fan, I must say that I agree.

Six Feet Under
Mar 18th, 2010, 01:33 AM
bad choices :sobbing:

NO leesh! WTF.

Tenis Srbija
Mar 18th, 2010, 02:06 AM
Givin WC to Dokić...waaaaaaaste :rolleyes:

Huntress55
Mar 18th, 2010, 03:13 AM
Hmm part of me wishes Molik (or someone who would actually take advantage of a WC) would have received one over Dokic, but the other part of me is glad she did, but I just want her to actually do something. Win at least ONE match FFS Jelena!

fufuqifuqishahah
Mar 18th, 2010, 03:23 AM
Most of the miami crowd will have no idea who most of these players are

duhcity
Mar 18th, 2010, 03:27 AM

Miami giving no WC's to Americans, and you're saying Aus wildcards are expected? :rolleyes:

Annoyed that Sloane didn't get one. She really deserved it after her IW performance

Brooks.
Mar 18th, 2010, 03:56 AM
Dokic is such a waste of a wildcard :rolleyes:

She'll be back to ITF's soon enough, I guess.

Buitenzorg
Mar 18th, 2010, 03:56 AM
can anyone "please explain" how did DOKIC gets a WC?

I would rather they give it to MOLIK :sad:

Pasta-Na
Mar 18th, 2010, 04:37 AM
no molik :sad:

tennisforadults
Mar 18th, 2010, 04:58 AM
Miami giving no WC's to Americans, and you're saying Aus wildcards are expected? :rolleyes:

Unlike the US, Aussie tournaments always give a few WCs to Aussie players. Thus 'expected'. Molik is a former world no. 8 and the last Aussie player before Sam to crack the top 10 - if she wants to play, she'll get a wildcard in Australia.

Maybe be a little more informed before giving me an eyeroll?

TS
Mar 18th, 2010, 06:41 AM
Aren't you only allowed 3 WTA main draw WCs and 3 ITF main draw WCs a year?

In that case, Alicia can't get anymore WTA wildcards cos she appears to have used them up.

That's probably why she didn't get it.

Pops Maellard
Mar 18th, 2010, 07:07 AM
Henin fine, I don't know why they're wasting one on Dokic. She should earn it like everyone else.

Sander.
Mar 18th, 2010, 07:28 AM
Why Dokic? She'll never do as good as she did before her comeback :shrug:

Pops Maellard
Mar 18th, 2010, 07:47 AM
Why Dokic? She'll never do as good as she did before her comeback :shrug:
Well it's not really that I don't think. It's just that she's not injured, there's no reason why she shouldn't just go through qualifying like everyone else...

Lulu.
Mar 18th, 2010, 08:52 AM
Please do SOMETHING with this WC Jelena. :o

Betten
Mar 18th, 2010, 09:05 AM
A question about the WC system: do players have to apply for one themselves, or does the organisation approach players who would normally play qualifications/who's rankings isn't high enough? And is there still a distinction between those Gold and other cards?

USTennisfan
Mar 18th, 2010, 02:05 PM
A question about the WC system: do players have to apply for one themselves, (Yes, they can submit to the tournament director a request for a wild card either in writing or verbal on site)

or does the organisation approach players who would normally play qualifications/who's rankings isn't high enough? (Yes, they can be approached by the tournament owner/director if they feel the need to help the event

And is there still a distinction between those Gold and other cards? (Yes, comes in play usually on the WTA International Events to allow top players in the event)

Just remember, the large events are run by the top sports marketing agencies, and thus can be used as vehicles to promote thier players. When country Federations/Association are part owners, then you usually will find them promoting thier countries top up and coming players or past performers. Just look at who is the organizer or director should give you a hint on what will happen with the Wild Cards. Those corporations are going to promote the players they represent first. Just follow the money. They own the tournament, hence they will promote their players...

Sander.
Mar 18th, 2010, 02:13 PM
Well it's not really that I don't think. It's just that she's not injured, there's no reason why she shouldn't just go through qualifying like everyone else...

True, but I mean that it's not necessary Dokic get a WC. There are much more players who deserve it more.

Monzanator
Mar 18th, 2010, 06:00 PM
Dokic WC is a complete waste... Somebody in R1 gets a walking bye :lol:

DokDi
Mar 18th, 2010, 06:01 PM
^ Very true...:lol:

Just Do It
Mar 18th, 2010, 06:33 PM
Giving a WC to Jelena is silly considering she would be in qualies on her own ranking. And what is more interesting it's that she never asked for a WC but tournament organizers offered her one :lol:
I'm glad she is in MD though :angel:

Golovinjured.
Mar 19th, 2010, 02:07 AM
A question about the WC system: do players have to apply for one themselves, (Yes, they can submit to the tournament director a request for a wild card either in writing or verbal on site)

or does the organisation approach players who would normally play qualifications/who's rankings isn't high enough? (Yes, they can be approached by the tournament owner/director if they feel the need to help the event

And is there still a distinction between those Gold and other cards? (Yes, comes in play usually on the WTA International Events to allow top players in the event)

Just remember, the large events are run by the top sports marketing agencies, and thus can be used as vehicles to promote thier players. When country Federations/Association are part owners, then you usually will find them promoting thier countries top up and coming players or past performers. Just look at who is the organizer or director should give you a hint on what will happen with the Wild Cards. Those corporations are going to promote the players they represent first. Just follow the money. They own the tournament, hence they will promote their players...

Jelena did not ask for the WC, the tournament offered her one.

SM
Mar 19th, 2010, 05:10 AM
Jelena can win matches. Whenever she plays the ball is in her court....unless shes facing a seed, otherwise she would overpower the rest of the field if she hit form

problem being she hasnt hit form at all in 2010 :(:(

Vamos Feńa
Mar 19th, 2010, 10:06 AM
Ok, so Dokic will be competing in a race of "how fast can I lose?".

I give her 45 minutes...

Langers
Mar 19th, 2010, 03:44 PM
RUS? Include her in that awesome game Vamos Feńa.

She'll be lucky to win a game.

DokDi
Mar 19th, 2010, 05:04 PM
Ok, so Dokic will be competing in a race of "how fast can I lose?".

I give her 45 minutes...

:lol:

Maybe she'll make a new world record.
I would say 38 minutes:spit:

DokDi
Mar 20th, 2010, 03:05 PM
WC change:

Molik got a WC instead of Dokic