PDA

View Full Version : Does Anyone Have Any Taste Aversions?

Crazy Canuck
Oct 5th, 2002, 06:49 AM
For those who don't know, an example of a taste aversion would be :

When you were young you went to a barbecue and ate a hotdog. Shortly thereafter you became really nauseaus and threw up. From that point on, the smell/thought/thought of hotdogs made you want to be sick (even though it may have turned out you had the flu or something and the hotdog was not necessarily related to the sickness).

Of course they can be more minor than the above, but that is the general idea.

For me, the SMELL of certain hard liquors - esp Rye and Vodka, makes me want to vomit. If I lean over a bottle of Vodka and inhale, it sets off my gag reflex :p

I can drink the crap, but only if I have a damn good chaser, and don't breathe near it :o

Also, the same goes for wine - going into a wine store is a painful exerience for me.

Raw tomatoes do it for me as well.

I can relate all of these to certain events to do with those substance :p

Anyone else have any? (well most people DO have them, but does anyone else want to share)

King Satan
Oct 5th, 2002, 06:53 AM
For me, it's mac with cheese

the last time I ate it, I was sick for a week and a half.

Now I won't even allow my mom to make it (gags just thinking about it)

irma
Oct 5th, 2002, 06:58 AM
carrots!

Jetta
Oct 5th, 2002, 06:58 AM
omg I can't eat mac and cheese either :D

other foods:

lamb :D

King Satan
Oct 5th, 2002, 07:06 AM
See Allie, now we have two things in common

hugetennisfan
Oct 5th, 2002, 07:10 AM
Not exactly a taste, but rather a smell... the inside of pumpkins :eek: The smell and texture and just the thought of this triggers the gag reflex. On two occasions in elementary, I threw up on the day (not at school though fortunately) we carved pumpkins for Halloween. Maybe just a coincidence, but I haven't carved pumpkins since.

Jetta
Oct 5th, 2002, 07:13 AM
Potato chips :D

I can't eat them anymore. I don't feel good after eating a few slices :D

gentenaire
Oct 5th, 2002, 07:15 AM
hamburgers and hot dogs

irma
Oct 5th, 2002, 07:17 AM
I am over it now but for a long time I couldn't handle peanut butter. first because I eat myself sick in peanut butter cookies and because on tv two idiots were making paintings with it and it was so incredible disgusting that I haven't eaten that stuf for at least 5 years!

Candy946
Oct 5th, 2002, 07:23 AM
For me, it was those cherry flavored licorice. I ate them, then got really dizzy and threw up. From then on I never wanted to eat them again.

My sister's would have to be Chinese Food. She ate too much and then vomitted. It took several years till she started liking it again.

gentenaire
Oct 5th, 2002, 07:42 AM
I forgot to mention cinnamon! That smell truly gives me a headache *shudders*

Crazy Canuck
Oct 5th, 2002, 08:15 AM
The reason wine makes me gag, would be the obvious one :p

But my problem with Rye or Whisky, or anything of that sort isn't related to my personal consumption. When I was in grade 8 a freind of mine drank before coming to school and ended up barfing all over her desk by about 930 am :o The entire class wreaked so bad of stale alcohol that we had to evacuate to the library untill it aired out :D

Of course, I was the lucky one who got the honour of walking/carrying her to the bathroom :p She wreaked of it, and was covered in her own vomit :o (did I mention that my teacher didn't like me ;)).

So I'm fairly certain that my problem with pretty much an hard liquor smell is related to that incident.

Kiwi_Boy
Oct 5th, 2002, 08:18 AM
burger rings,manchos,pork,custard*barf*:)

Kiwi_Boy
Oct 5th, 2002, 08:19 AM
oh and chicken flavoured crisps*shudder,gag*

Crazy Canuck
Oct 5th, 2002, 08:20 AM
I can't totally place my problems with Tomatoes :confused: ONce when I was about 8, my dad made me sit at the table for about 2 hours, saying that i wouldn't be allowed up untill I finished my tomatoes :o

My sister and my brother were also there with a portion of tomatoes waiting to be eaten, so I wasn't alone :D

But the thought of eating them at that point made me want to gag, so I don't think that was what did it :confused:

Though associating sitting at the table eating tomatoes with punishment, certaintly couldn't have helped.

veryborednow
Oct 5th, 2002, 09:06 AM
raw jelly - I would eat it before swimming races, but I threw up after eating it, and now it's not just the smell but the sight, I can't even look at the packets in the supermarket...

Poe
Oct 5th, 2002, 09:39 AM
i did like a gazillion shots of zambuka at a wedding a few years ago and omg.. that stuff is just so damn nasty.. and i despise the taste of black licorice to begin with! but you know once you're smashed out of your mind you'll drink anything... well i will :p

anyway the next morning i was so sick i was shaking and during the TWO HOUR drive home, we had to stop like 25 times (i'm not kidding you it was at LEAST that many) so that i could go sit in the snow and hurl!

if anyone so much as shows me a bottle of that stuff ever again i will run away screaming

Poe
Oct 5th, 2002, 09:41 AM
Originally posted by Rebecca
I can't totally place my problems with Tomatoes :confused: ONce when I was about 8, my dad made me sit at the table for about 2 hours, saying that i wouldn't be allowed up untill I finished my tomatoes :o

My sister and my brother were also there with a portion of tomatoes waiting to be eaten, so I wasn't alone :D

But the thought of eating them at that point made me want to gag, so I don't think that was what did it :confused:

Though associating sitting at the table eating tomatoes with punishment, certaintly couldn't have helped.

omg have a story almost exactly like that!

i think i was like 4 or 5 and my dad said i couldn't leave the table to watch polka dot door unless i ate all my beans... and i could hear the show starting so i gulped a whole bunch of them down and threw up all over the place :D

he never did that to me again..... the bastard

Julie
Oct 5th, 2002, 09:47 AM
My folks always used to make me eat my begetables as a kid and if i didnt i woudlnt be allowed to either leave the table, i have cried and hurled that much you woudlnt believe it - i still dont really do vegetables that well but im gettign better - as long as i mask them with something, usuallly lots and lots of mint sauce :o

Nowadays the only thing that can make me sick just form smell alone is whiskey - cant touch the stuff :( Isnt that a surprise :o

carot
Oct 5th, 2002, 09:50 AM
Originally posted by irma
carrots!

can't help to feel a little rejected

Kiwi_Boy
Oct 5th, 2002, 09:50 AM
the worst vegetables in the world have gotta be brussel sprouts-wheres a vomiting smilie when you need it:( :D

Julie
Oct 5th, 2002, 10:06 AM
brussells sprout are indeed ick - never eat those either and heres the face you need longwe

http://www.stopstart.fsnet.co.uk/smilie/puke.gif http://www.stopstart.fsnet.co.uk/smilie/puke.gif http://www.stopstart.fsnet.co.uk/smilie/puke.gif http://www.stopstart.fsnet.co.uk/smilie/puke.gif

Kiwi_Boy
Oct 5th, 2002, 10:08 AM
lol,that is sooo cool,what do you type in for it?:kiss: :D :D :D

Julie
Oct 5th, 2002, 10:10 AM
http://www.stopstart.fsnet.co.uk/smilie/puke.gif but without the spaces

Kiwi_Boy
Oct 5th, 2002, 10:16 AM
thank you julie!:kiss: :kiss: :kiss::kiss:
http://www.stopstart.fsnet.co.uk/smilie/puke.gif
just seeing if i can do it:)

Giuliano
Oct 5th, 2002, 10:23 AM
Yeah, this soup some people make with the juice of the meat in a pot-au-feu... A long time ago, my mother forced me to taste it :o. Even the thought of it makes me shudder now.

The Vampiress
Oct 5th, 2002, 10:30 AM
I really hate Asparagus http://www.stopstart.fsnet.co.uk/mica/babe.gif

irma
Oct 5th, 2002, 10:33 AM
sorry carot :kiss:

but your not a hutspot carrot right?;)

I can handle the smell of raw carrots but not when they are cooked or in the hutspot(that's dutch and an example how bad our food is)

BritneySpearsIsHot
Oct 5th, 2002, 11:02 AM
Peanut Butter and Kippers

Princess Fiona
Oct 5th, 2002, 11:05 AM
For me it's spaghetti - I like to eat it (though not often :o) but I can't help but to think of worms... :o

I don't MEAN to put anyone reading off spaghetti, btw :o ;)

wongqks
Oct 5th, 2002, 11:11 AM
there is a chinese dessert whihc is a semi-liquid sesame dessert which is black in colour, (chinese will knwo what I am talking about) Anyway, I was like 6 when my mum force me to have it coz she said I shouldn't choose food to eat, well I did exactly that and threw up on the table with other relatives in the restaurant, pretty embarrassing, now I can't eat those

irma
Oct 5th, 2002, 11:14 AM
Originally posted by Franziska
For me it's spaghetti - I like to eat it (though not often :o) but I can't help but to think of worms... :o

I don't MEAN to put anyone reading off spaghetti, btw :o ;)

Did you maybe read a certain book from roald dahl?

Princess Fiona
Oct 5th, 2002, 12:00 PM
Did you maybe read a certain book from roald dahl?

No! I just remember being very young, and having a plate of spaghetti in front of me, and being traumatised and totally unable to eat it because I had this image of worms escaping from the plate... I have a feeling I should give this Roald Dahl book a miss :o ;)

Greenout
Oct 5th, 2002, 12:06 PM
Oh..here...(bleech) mine.

I cannot go near Brussel Sprouts or Stuffed
cabbage with meat.

Heeelp...I'm about to THROW up.....ugggruhhh.

Y$U%$Uuufuuuudded!

Princess Fiona
Oct 5th, 2002, 12:10 PM
I really like cheese, but I can ONLY eat it grated... the thought of cheese slices or those cheese tubes makes me feel very, very ill indeed. Yuk! ;)

Jetta
Oct 5th, 2002, 07:00 PM
Originally posted by Franziska
I really like cheese, but I can ONLY eat it grated... the thought of cheese slices or those cheese tubes makes me feel very, very ill indeed. Yuk! ;)

Same with me :D

I also can't eat a lot of goat cheese anymore (james, are you seeing this) :p

carot
Oct 5th, 2002, 07:06 PM
sorry carot :kiss:

but your not a hutspot carrot right?;)

I can handle the smell of raw carrots but not when they are cooked or in the hutspot(that's dutch and an example how bad our food is)

i'm raw ;)

hutsepot :lick:

YSL
Oct 5th, 2002, 07:50 PM
liver and onions..

It's not so much the smell of it.. It's more that when I tried it when I was about 7, it was all overcooked and all dry and tough - Even thinking about it now is making me sick...

Princess Fiona
Oct 5th, 2002, 09:48 PM
Originally posted by Alexis
Same with me :D

I also can't eat a lot of goat cheese anymore (james, are you seeing this) :p

That's something else we have in common, then! :D (As well as both liking Depeche Mode ;))

I don't think I've ever eaten goat's cheese...

Williams Rulez
Oct 6th, 2002, 02:51 AM
Bread with magarine... butter is fine though.

Jetta
Oct 6th, 2002, 03:14 AM
I can't eat I can't believe its not butter......

It really doesn't taste like butter at all in my opinion. :D

Richie77
Oct 6th, 2002, 03:20 AM
For some reason, I cannot stand eggs. They completely gross me out.
It doesn't matter if it's hard-boiled, poached, or scrambled...even looking at eggs makes me sick!

gentenaire
Oct 6th, 2002, 07:14 AM
I don't like margarine either. Good fresh bread with real butter...yummm!!

What are cheese tubes?

Poe
Oct 6th, 2002, 07:15 AM
josh is a cheese tube

gentenaire
Oct 6th, 2002, 07:17 AM
Okay, that makes it all clear;)

Crazy Canuck
Oct 6th, 2002, 09:11 AM
Hey leave my cyber love alone :fiery: *bite*

I think that by cheese tubes she means thost processed tubes of cheese - like cheese strings and the sort.

Josh
Oct 6th, 2002, 10:53 AM
Originally posted by Poe
josh is a cheese tube

I never thought I'd live to see the day my name is being mentioned in a taste aversion thread....:p

Princess Fiona
Oct 6th, 2002, 01:38 PM
Originally posted by IndyRichie
For some reason, I cannot stand eggs. They completely gross me out.
It doesn't matter if it's hard-boiled, poached, or scrambled...even looking at eggs makes me sick!

I had that problem for years, Richie!!

Ugh, don't mention cheese tubes again, please!! *shiver* ;) I also DETEST coloured cheese...

feeling very, VERY ill again... :o ;)

irma
Oct 6th, 2002, 01:48 PM
I am a cheese addict :lick:

Double Fault
Oct 6th, 2002, 02:53 PM
CORNED BEEF. Disgusting stuff!! Especially the variety that comes in a tin. Oozing jelly and oil. It's NASTY.

COTTAGE CHEESE Looks like something the cat has thrown up. :(

Crazy Canuck
Oct 6th, 2002, 05:06 PM
Double Fault, just to make your taste aversion to cottage Cheese even worse, my mother once told me that it also resembles yeast infection discharge :D

Thankfully I don't know from experience *vomit*

irma
Oct 6th, 2002, 05:29 PM
huzara salad looks like that too
http://216.40.241.68/cwm/cwm/puke.gif

irma
Oct 6th, 2002, 05:30 PM
and melkmoes but almost nobody knows that, not even here!

*Izzy*
Oct 6th, 2002, 05:45 PM
Sour cream and onion flavour Pringles.

Aside from tasting vile, I once ate a load of them and threw up. So now I switched to paprika flavour ;)

Also, fried mushrooms make me gag

Poe
Oct 6th, 2002, 06:37 PM
Originally posted by Josh

I never thought I'd live to see the day my name is being mentioned in a taste aversion thread....:p

at least i didn't say i throw up at the mere thought of tasting you ;)

MartianJoeyWinson
Oct 6th, 2002, 06:45 PM
Rum, cos I think I am allergic to it, and Gin, cos I once went mad and drunk half a bottle and well, it's evil. Gin, you are evil. The smell of it just haunts me.

Mazza
Oct 7th, 2002, 03:52 PM
Bananas!! :o I can't even look at one! :o UGHHH!!

salima
Oct 7th, 2002, 04:21 PM
JelenaDokicIsHot, for once listen: Peanut Butter and Kippers are not supposed to be eaten together!

peanut butter puts my appetite off, and I can`t be near Semulegrynsgrøt, I even cant explain what is is without uueehk (sorry)

Bright Red
Oct 7th, 2002, 05:05 PM
Red crispy apples.

I absolutely love how they taste, but they make me throw up. So, I can't eat them anymore.

Corriander/cilantro makes me throw up just smelling it.

Finally, when I was a child, I ate a whole bag of Nacho Cheese Flavored Cheetos and Summer Sausage while I was riding with my dad in a truck on a bumpy road. All of the bouncing caused my belly to churn and churn, and before long, half of the truck's interior was orange and wet. Now, I can't eat Summer Sausage; although I'll do considerable damage to a bag of cheetos.

Double Fault
Oct 7th, 2002, 08:47 PM
Originally posted by Rebecca
Double Fault, just to make your taste aversion to cottage Cheese even worse, my mother once told me that it also resembles yeast infection discharge :D

Thankfully I don't know from experience *vomit*

Rebecca, your Mother sounds like a very astute lady indeed. :)