PDA

View Full Version : IW R4: Agnieszka Radwanska def. Marion Bartoli 63 62

Break My Rapture
Mar 16th, 2010, 07:45 PM
Aga. :cheer:

The match was tougher than the score shows though, both players didn't really play well, too much UEs especially from Marion.

HenryMag.
Mar 16th, 2010, 07:46 PM
never in doubt :shrug:

Aga's defense and shot placement is really in shape, she will win over Lena if she keeps it like that

17/17 Radwanska
25/32 Bartoli

winners/UEs

Noctis
Mar 16th, 2010, 07:47 PM
5-0 Aga h2h
Aga gets lots of balls back.

2Black
Lawd, Aga could actually win this tourney ... So Very Sad :tape:

AnnaK_4ever
If you call Marion a Caketoli, have the balls to put Ratwanska in the thread title then.

olivero
Mar 16th, 2010, 07:48 PM
Gets the job :yeah: well played.
Pretty cool match but Marion becomes a hot mess when she's playing Agnieszka :tape:
Sweet hug at the net.

W/UE
Aga: 17/17
Marion: 25/32
(it was 10/10 and 8/13 in the 1st set if I remember correctly)

P.S. Was Marion wearing the exact same dress in which Vika looks so cute? :unsure:

St.Sebastian
Mar 16th, 2010, 07:49 PM
It's the best I've seen Aga play in a while. Bartoli tried everything, started the 2nd set well, hitting harder and harder but still it was not possible to hit trough Aga's defence. And then the errors startet creeping in.

Good Luck in QF Aga!

Break My Rapture
If you call Marion a Caketoli, have the balls to put Ratwanska in the thread title then.
I didn't know a good nickname for Radwanska. :bigwave: I already changed it to Bartoli a couple of minutes ago, btw.

Chakvenus
congrats Aga!
so sorry Marion, once again the match was close, but Aga is just too solid for you it seems. bad matchup.
GL against lenaD Aga!
please win!!

A'DAM
How on earth people can call Aga pusher???!!!

Ferg
Really fun match, I always expected Aga to win but Marion tried hard until she missed that BP for 3-1 in the 2nd and was just too puffed. I always like to see nice net exchanges.

Break My Rapture
Gets the job :yeah: well played.
Pretty cool match but Marion becomes a hot mess when she's playing Agnieszka :tape:
Sweet hug at the net.

W/UE
Aga: 17/17
Marion: 25/32

P.S. Was Marion wearing the exact same dress in which Vika looks so cute? :unsure:
Yes. :sobbing:

Cookie Power
Mar 16th, 2010, 07:50 PM
Way too many errors from Bartoli. That's what happens when you play so few tournaments Marion... :rolleyes:

Radwanska was solid enough, but definitely not at her best either. Hope she does well but she has a tough draw.

Iceland
Mar 16th, 2010, 07:52 PM
It was too tough a challenge for Marion to beat Aga in such slow conditions. There're some positives to take from that but overall she was too inconsistent to hurt Aga. She would have needed to put those volleys in the court for example. Aga played a very good match. She perfectly reads Marion's game and was smarter than ever. She could go far in the tournament. :)

Super nice handshake :hug: Well done Aga!

treufreund
Mar 16th, 2010, 07:53 PM
Aga has some pretty nice volleys. I like her defense too. Baroli, as usual, can hit the shots that she likes but cannot handle any shot outside of her strike zone or any shot requiring a change of grip.

Ferg
Mar 16th, 2010, 07:53 PM
Way too many errors from Bartoli. That's what happens when you play so few tournaments Marion... :rolleyes:

Radwanska was solid enough, but definitely not at her best either. Hope she does well but she has a tough draw.

Nah, to be fair to her, they were both playing really well but its what she was reduced to because Radwanksa kept getting everything back. Im sure thats one of the reasons too why Marion missed a lot of easy net put aways (if only she made that one on GP for 4-4 in the 1st...), Aga makes players commit UEs.

gumoll
Mar 16th, 2010, 07:54 PM
nice match, it was much closer then the score shows ;)

in first set Marion was playing like 90% of balls on Aga's bh and in second she started to play no only cc but also dtl.

Really great defense by Aga and she really played very aggressive today.

youizahoe
Like I said : Bartoli looked like a flying pink bigg in the pink thing that Azarenka wore at AO.

gaja kesari
Well done Agnieszka, good luck in the next round.
Sorry Marion, just a bad match-up for you :hug:

Mynarco
Mar 16th, 2010, 07:57 PM
radwanska played alright...better than that how she played in january

Kim's_fan_4ever
Mar 16th, 2010, 07:57 PM
Make that 5-0 :drool: Agnieszka was awesome, the result was never in doubt :bowdown:
Some of Aga's comments during the match were funny :lol: And although I've seen Bartoli on multiple occasions, her style still cracks me up :hysteric:

Anyway, good luck Aga in the QF:kiss:

AndreConrad
Mar 16th, 2010, 08:01 PM
Congrats Agnieszka :yeah:
Marion :hug:... the streak has to end at some point and I am sure I will not like it :lol:

AnnaK_4ever
Mar 16th, 2010, 08:02 PM
Now on the match itself.

Expected outcome though it was a lot closer than the scoreline suggests.
Marion dug a grave for herself with the dumb play in the first set -- pulling Dementieva and going crosscourt all the time or simply putting the ball down the middle, it looked like she wasn't aware that DTL shots even existed. Add to this absolutely idiotic shot selection at the net. But the worst thing is that she put SO MUCH energy and effort in that senseless hitting that she was spent, both physically and mentally, by the beginning of set 2.
Then Marion finally discovered she could also go down the line and totally outplayed Radwanska for a couple of games but it was too late. There was nothing left in tank.

Now waiting for a thrilling Radwanska vs Wozniacki SF encounter. :drool: :help:

AnywhereButHome
Congrats. Aga!!!

Mahon_Lorcan
It was very good match of Aga:) Both girls played good, but Marion did many mistakes too. Generaly match was interesting;)

Aga good luck aganinst Dementieva. You should default her.You can do it!

AnnaK_4ever
Mar 16th, 2010, 08:08 PM
Aga good luck aganinst Dementieva. You should default her.You can do it!

Priceless.
That is exactly how Radwanska wins matches.

Mahon_Lorcan
Mar 16th, 2010, 08:13 PM
Priceless.
That is exactly how Radwanska wins matches.

It's not my fault that you have a problem. Your hatred for Aga is sick. Calm down.

St.Sebastian
Mar 16th, 2010, 08:18 PM
It's not my fault that you have a problem. Your hatred for Aga is sick. Calm down.
Czemu wszczynasz znowu jakies wasnie?
Wciaz masz do kogos jakis problem. Default znaczy zdyskwalifikowac, DEFEAT znaczy pokonac.

Jak dobrze po angielsku nie mowisz, to sie nie oburzaj, bo ten poster wcale niczego zlego nie mial na mysli...

Bahu
Mar 16th, 2010, 08:20 PM
Aga played very well :)

Keep it up!

Mahon_Lorcan
Mar 16th, 2010, 08:21 PM
wystarczy, że czytam inne posty tej osoby i tyle;) i nie ucz mnie angielskiego, bo wiem co znaczy dane słówko:) Pozdrawiam

pattty
Mar 16th, 2010, 08:25 PM
Good job Aga, keep it up!

Kim's_fan_4ever
Mar 16th, 2010, 08:27 PM
Czemu wszczynasz znowu jakies wasnie?
Wciaz masz do kogos jakis problem. Default znaczy zdyskwalifikowac, DEFEAT znaczy pokonac.

Jak dobrze po angielsku nie mowisz, to sie nie oburzaj, bo ten poster wcale niczego zlego nie mial na mysli...

Akurat zdecydowanie mial duzo zlego na mysli, jak z reszta zwykle gdy pisze o Adze ;)

St.Sebastian
Mar 16th, 2010, 08:31 PM
Akurat zdecydowanie mial duzo zlego na mysli, jak z reszta zwykle gdy pisze o Adze ;)
Czasem trzeba tez umiec przymruzyc oko na glupie zarty i potrafic sie z samego siebie smiac. Jak przeciwniczki Agi poddaja mecze, to niech tak bedzie. Nie jest to powod, zeby sie awanturowac i kultywowac obraz klotliwego Polaka. ;)

pattty
Mar 16th, 2010, 08:31 PM

Fakt jest faktem, co nie znaczy, że powinien tak reagować, bo takie kłótnie do niczego dobrego nie prowadzą :)

Mahon_Lorcan
Mar 16th, 2010, 08:34 PM
Haha dobra nie było sprawy, zareagowałem zbyt emocjonalnie, ale jakoś posty tego kogoś doprowadzają mnie to szewskiej pasji.

Haha, ale nie wiedziałem, że pod tymi europejskimi flagami kryją się Polacy:D

Kim's_fan_4ever
Mar 16th, 2010, 08:36 PM
Czasem trzeba tez umiec przymruzyc oko na glupie zarty i potrafic sie z samego siebie smiac. Jak przeciwniczki Agi poddaja mecze, to niech tak bedzie. Nie jest to powod, zeby sie awanturowac i kultywowac obraz klotliwego Polaka. ;)

Fakt jest faktem, co nie znaczy, że powinien tak reagować, bo takie kłótnie do niczego dobrego nie prowadzą :)

Obydwoje macie racje i calkowicie sie z wami zgadzam :lol: Tylko zwracalam uwage na to ze mial na mysli to i owo :p

Caipirinha Guy
Mar 16th, 2010, 08:37 PM
Polak się kłóci i to nie jestem ja.:lol::tape:

Brena
Mar 16th, 2010, 08:47 PM
Why is Aga's H2H with Marion 5-0 while JJ's is something like 2-137? :scratch:

VIKA?
Mar 16th, 2010, 08:48 PM
Well done, Aga:hearts:

AnnaK_4ever
Mar 16th, 2010, 08:50 PM
Why is Aga's H2H with Marion 5-0 while JJ's is something like 2-137? :scratch:

Because they are three different players?

cn ireland
Mar 16th, 2010, 08:51 PM
Marion:(!

Caipirinha Guy
Mar 16th, 2010, 08:51 PM

Because it was a question to which you were not supposed to reply.

AnnaK_4ever
Mar 16th, 2010, 08:53 PM
Because it was a question to which you were not supposed to reply.

Let me decide if I want to answer rhetorical questions or not, ok?

Aryman3
Mar 16th, 2010, 08:56 PM
AnnaK- according to your description there was only one player on the court - Marion
She was winning or losing points.
You really believe that Aga was the silent witness?

adner
Mar 16th, 2010, 08:57 PM
AnnaK- according to your description there was only one player on the court - Marion
Do you really think that his opinion is worth any discussion? :lol:

Caipirinha Guy
Mar 16th, 2010, 08:58 PM
Let me decide if I want to answer rethorical questions or not, ok?

Rhetorical questions are assumed not to be answered.

Iceland
Mar 16th, 2010, 09:02 PM
I would just add that it's RHetorical, not rethorical. :p HA!

AnnaK_4ever
Mar 16th, 2010, 09:03 PM

I'm not interested into describing how non-entities play, just see no point in this really.

Caipirinha Guy
Mar 16th, 2010, 09:05 PM

OMG, you love teasing ppl I see.:lol:

AnnaK_4ever
Mar 16th, 2010, 09:06 PM

I corrected myself immediately though. :p I always get confused in these rhe/rhi/rhy's.

Brena
Mar 16th, 2010, 09:07 PM

Well, obviously they are. But I wonder what is it that Aga does and Jelena doesn't do when facing Marion?

Marionated
Mar 16th, 2010, 09:08 PM
Well done to Radwanska. When she plays well, her game is a nightmare for the B list power hitters.

As for Marion, well just too many errors today (many crucial mistakes - the game at 3-4 in the first set :weirdo:), wasn't putting her first serve anywhere and some really questionable shot selection, but she showed some fighting spirit unlike in her last two defeats.

Marionated
Mar 16th, 2010, 09:08 PM
Well, obviously they are. But I wonder what is it that Aga does and Jelena doesn't do when facing Marion?

Jelena makes more errors.

fouc
Mar 16th, 2010, 09:12 PM
:hearts: Aga played some incredibly witty points there, 1st set was her best set in 2010. A pleasure to watch.

Malva
Mar 16th, 2010, 09:15 PM
Nah, to be fair to her, they were both playing really well but its what she was reduced to because Radwańska kept getting everything back. Im sure thats one of the reasons too why Marion missed a lot of easy net put aways (if only she made that one on GP for 4-4 in the 1st...), Aga makes players commit UEs.

That's a fairly good assessment.

The whole point of playing competition tennis is to send the ball so that the opponent cannot return it.

One way of achieving this goal is to strike the ball so hard that the rival has no time to reach it. In popular parlance this is what people call a 'winner'. Another, and less obvious one, is to strike the ball in a tricky way, constantly taking the opponent out of her comfort zone. This is precisely Radwańska's strength. Some people see this, however, exclusively as 'enforced errors' of her opponent.

Such game requires greater intellect, greater touch, and greater variety. And often produces tennis of greater finesse than robotic painting the lines with one-in-one-out ball bashing.

This is also the reason I like Radwańska's tennis.

Dexter
Mar 16th, 2010, 09:27 PM
Make that 5-0 :drool: Agnieszka was awesome, the result was never in doubt :bowdown:
Some of Aga's comments during the match were funny :lol: And although I've seen Bartoli on multiple occasions, her style still cracks me up :hysteric:

Anyway, good luck Aga in the QF:kiss:Przestań grać przez ten jebany środek! :haha:

Kim's_fan_4ever
Mar 16th, 2010, 09:28 PM
Przestań grać przez ten jebany środek! :haha:

Yup, I especially had that one on my mind :angel:

Foals.
Mar 16th, 2010, 09:39 PM
Marion :sad: Great effort in the 2nd, but too little too late, and too many errors.
Radwanska really frustrates Marion with that extra ball back and making Marion hit balls away from the baseline where she isnt as comfortable.
Good rallies at times from both :yeah:

AndreConrad
Mar 16th, 2010, 09:42 PM
That is funny :lol:. Did she actually say it? If so you should translate it for everyone. There was enough Polish going around in this thread, even I had hard time following it.

olivero
Mar 16th, 2010, 09:47 PM

Jeca tends to switch her brain off more often I guess

yeah I loved it too :lol:

Krzysiu.
Mar 16th, 2010, 09:50 PM
Haha, ale nie wiedziałem, że pod tymi europejskimi flagami kryją się Polacy:D

Jeszcze wielu rzeczy o nich nie wiesz:wavey:

hankqq
Mar 16th, 2010, 09:50 PM
Agnieszka :yeah: hopefully she can keep winning here :)

Dexter
Mar 16th, 2010, 10:59 PM
That is funny :lol:. Did she actually say it? If so you should translate it for everyone. There was enough Polish going around in this thread, even I had hard time following it.Stop playing in this F*&$ing middle of the court! ;)

St.Sebastian
Mar 16th, 2010, 11:07 PM
Stop playing in this F*&$ing middle of the court! ;)
I like how Aga started showing some emotions in her matches. Smash a racket and then 2sec later walk gracefully to receive serve again.

Podobalo mi sie tez "Ja pierdole" jak grala przeciw Dulko :p

ivanban
Mar 16th, 2010, 11:13 PM
never in doubt :shrug:

muniu
Mar 16th, 2010, 11:33 PM

:lol::lol:
wszystko przez ta pieprzona rakiete bylo ok, ale jebany srodek rlz!:D

muniu
Mar 16th, 2010, 11:37 PM
I like how Aga started showing some emotions in her matches. Smash a racket and then 2sec later walk gracefully to receive serve again.

Podobalo mi sie tez "Ja pierdole" jak grala przeciw Dulko :p

I guess she has an extra money to spend :p

BlackPanther.
Mar 16th, 2010, 11:48 PM
Aga :cheer::bounce:

Corswandt
Mar 17th, 2010, 01:30 AM
So matches like this one get televised for everyone to see, and yet some people vehemently deny that Radwanska is a pusher.

Amazing.

Corswandt
Mar 17th, 2010, 01:41 AM
That's a fairly good assessment.

The whole point of playing competition tennis is to send the ball so that the opponent cannot return it.

One way of achieving this goal is to strike the ball so hard that the rival has no time to reach it. In popular parlance this is what people call a 'winner'. Another, and less obvious one, is to strike the ball in a tricky way, constantly taking the opponent out of her comfort zone. This is precisely Radwańska's strength. Some people see this, however, exclusively as 'enforced errors' of her opponent.

Such game requires greater intellect, greater touch, and greater variety. And often produces tennis of greater finesse than robotic painting the lines with one-in-one-out ball bashing.

This is also the reason I like Radwańska's tennis.

Dictating points and/or taking risks with one's shotmaking requires a great deal more of focus, and is much more mentally draining, than passively patting the ball back to the other side.

Singleniacki
Mar 17th, 2010, 01:54 AM
Marion bad luck :hug:
We all knew that it wasn't the best match up for you :lol:

Anyway 4th round is a decent result.

Looking forward to Miami :bounce:

Chakvenus
Mar 17th, 2010, 01:55 AM
Dictating points and/or taking risks with one's shotmaking requires a great deal more of focus, and is much more mentally draining, than passively patting the ball back to the other side.

that is not necessarily true. for players like Agnieszka and others who have played similarly smart tennis (Chakvetadze, Myskina, etc.) they must be both capable ball-strikers as well as constantly focused. if they are not, then they're whole game plan can fall apart. they need to constantly react and adapt their strategy and shot placement to fit the level and intensity of their opponent. players like Agnieszka who dont have a lot of power cant rely on simply smashing the ball to get the jitters out of their games or for backup; they're just not strong enough physically, so they must play smartly.

Shvedbarilescu
Mar 17th, 2010, 02:27 AM

Posts like this really display pure ignorance on your part. A shame because actually you have been making some pretty smart posts as well of late. Anyone with any common sense will tell that if you passively pat the ball back to someone who has the power and the shotmaking abilities of a player like Bartoli you will quite simply get blown off the court in 45 minutes. Quality power hitters feed off balls that are passively pat back at them. Radwanska beats Bartoli because she actually able to do a bit of attacking herself and force Bartoli to run. Yes Bartoli hits with more pace and takes more risk with her groundstrokes than does Radwanska. But to suggest Radwanska does nothing but pat the ball back is simply not true. Radwanska hit 17 winners to Bartoli's 25. Not actually such a huge difference.

Why does Radwanska beat Bartoli? Because Radwanska is able to hit more effectively when she is under attack and stretched out of her comfort zone than is Bartoli. Plain and simple.

Roookie
Mar 17th, 2010, 03:09 AM
5-0...Good job Aga! :yeah:

Jajaloo
Mar 17th, 2010, 03:39 AM
But I wonder what is it that Aga does and Jelena doesn't do when facing Marion?

Keeps the ball inside the lines.

ElusiveChanteuse
Mar 17th, 2010, 04:00 AM
Aga :cheer:

Nikkiri
Mar 17th, 2010, 06:36 AM
Awesome Aga. :worship: :inlove: :cheer:

Pasta-Na
Mar 17th, 2010, 06:40 AM
big white rabbit :hug:

olivero
Mar 17th, 2010, 08:52 AM
So matches like this one get televised for everyone to see, and yet some people vehemently deny that Radwanska is a pusher.

Amazing.

When she's pushing she's losing. She can't play that kind of tennis simply because she's not as good in defence as for example Caro. She even yelled at herself during the match that she should stop playing in the middle of the court.
Besides Agnieszka had more winners than Bartoli in the first set.

GreenGrass
Mar 17th, 2010, 11:03 AM
yay Aga!! well done! :bounce:

haters :yawn:

Nice try Marion :hug: good luck in Miami, let's hope you won't draw Aga again :sobbing:

Corswandt
Mar 17th, 2010, 11:18 AM
that is not necessarily true. for players like Agnieszka and others who have played similarly smart tennis (Chakvetadze, Myskina, etc.) they must be both capable ball-strikers as well as constantly focused. if they are not, then they're whole game plan can fall apart. they need to constantly react and adapt their strategy and shot placement to fit the level and intensity of their opponent. players like Agnieszka who dont have a lot of power cant rely on simply smashing the ball to get the jitters out of their games or for backup; they're just not strong enough physically, so they must play smartly.

You're falling into two common misconceptions:

I) lumping all underpowered players together;
II) assuming that having to hit a lot of shots to win a point equates playing smartly and/or having a versatile game.

If you look closely, Radwanska has very little in common with classic counterpunchers like Myskina or Hingis, who could turn defense into offense, take their opponents by surprise, and above all forced them into errors by hitting the ball with unexpected angles or into unexpected places. Players such as Myskina or Hingis and particularly Chak (who was unique and in a category all of her own) could change their game plans according to the strengths and weaknesses of their opponents so as to better dismantle their games. Radwanska by contrast, much like Wozniacki (who is slower and not on par with the former in terms of retrieving skills), always plays the same: passively, very high %, the overwhelming majority of the time merely patting puffballs that land around the service line until her opponent misses. This is playing smartly only in the sense that it shows that she acknowledges her own shortcomings as a player. But playing smartly in the sense of giving a tactical masterclass? No way.

Corswandt
Mar 17th, 2010, 11:25 AM
Posts like this really display pure ignorance on your part. A shame because actually you have been making some pretty smart posts as well of late. Anyone with any common sense will tell that if you passively pat the ball back to someone who has the power and the shotmaking abilities of a player like Bartoli you will quite simply get blown off the court in 45 minutes. Quality power hitters feed off balls that are passively pat back at them. Radwanska beats Bartoli because she actually able to do a bit of attacking herself and force Bartoli to run. Yes Bartoli hits with more pace and takes more risk with her groundstrokes than does Radwanska. But to suggest Radwanska does nothing but pat the ball back is simply not true. Radwanska hit 17 winners to Bartoli's 25. Not actually such a huge difference.

Why does Radwanska beat Bartoli? Because Radwanska is able to hit more effectively when she is under attack and stretched out of her comfort zone than is Bartoli. Plain and simple.

I was going to say if it was too much to ask for you to express disagreement with a fellow TF poster's views without overbearingly insulting him/her, but no point in doing so as you've already shown - ad nauseam - that it is.

Re: the actual issue at hand, I've addressed it in my reply to Chakvenus who, unlike you, was polite.

Elwin.
Mar 17th, 2010, 11:31 AM
Bartoli is useless against players with lots of variety. :o
There were some hideous line calls in this match.

Shvedbarilescu
Mar 17th, 2010, 11:47 AM
I was going to say if it was too much to ask for you to express disagreement with a fellow TF poster's views without overbearingly insulting him/her, but no point in doing so as you've already shown - ad nauseam - that it is.

Re: the actual issue at hand, I've addressed it in my reply to Chakvenus who, unlike you, was polite.

The way you have acted in the past with me you have long ago relinguished any right to be treated by me with politeness. Sorry. But thats a fact.

And you blaintedly failed to address the points I made and instead spewed further bullshit on top of it.

VishaalMaria
Mar 17th, 2010, 11:48 AM
I'm glad Aga won, I really want her to win this tournament. It'll do wonders for her confidence and her game, so that maybe she can get past the QF's of a slam.

fouc
Mar 17th, 2010, 12:54 PM

oh please, no one's gonna buy it :shrug:

aguy9797
Mar 17th, 2010, 01:34 PM
Marion had enough energy for the first 6 games, which in my opinion, were excellent as both girls played aggressive tennis. Aga simply tired Marion out, so Marion lost precision of her shots, sooo....Aga went back to her passive mode basically feeding the ball back to Marion, and hoping for mistakes, which kept on coming.

I like Marion, and just wish she gets finally in shape decent enough that she can run for 1.5+ hours

As for Aga, I liked the way she played during the first 25 minutes of this match, aggressively mixing things up, charging the net, and serving very well...she was good! Please Aga, show more against Lena

markedman
Mar 17th, 2010, 01:37 PM
I'm quite surprised by some of te posts in this thread. I think that Aga plays to her strength, which is, reading her opponents game and anticipating where the next shot will be. Thus she is able to return many more balls and frustrate her opponent, what's wrong with that? Exactly how many of you guys are world ranked number 8 and a millionaire? That speaks volumes about how consistantly well she plays!

rucolo
Mar 17th, 2010, 02:46 PM
Good win, Aga!:D:yeah:

Marion :hug:
Love to watch Marion when she is on.

The match was much closer than the scoreline indicates.

Aga played so smart.:hearts:
The lob to make it 5-3 in 1st set was :drool:!

Nice kiss at the net.

Now beat Dementieva, Aga!