PDA

View Full Version : Indian Wells 2010: best Laugh, else we'd Cry

Steffica Greles
Mar 16th, 2010, 11:37 AM
What another appalling mess of a draw. Even the tour's most promising youngster loses with a bagel.

Line them all up and shoot 'em one by one. That's surely an option by now? And I'm a woolly liberal.

Olˇrin
Mar 16th, 2010, 12:22 PM
LOL. Where would this play be without you Steffica :lol: I was wondering when you would turn up to lament Indian Wells.

OohZuzana
Mar 16th, 2010, 12:27 PM
What another appalling mess of a draw. Even the tour's most promising youngster loses with a bagel.

Line them all up and shoot 'em one by one. That's surely an option by now? And I'm a woolly liberal.

Um, Jill Craybas may be promising, but she is not a youngster.

Renalicious
Mar 16th, 2010, 12:33 PM
We still have Lady Jaja. :inlove:

Keadz
Mar 16th, 2010, 12:35 PM
Alicia, Sam, Rezai, Wozniaki, Zvonareva, Dementieva and Zheng all still in. :)

Im quite partial to the rest of players as well.

Im enjoying it.

Shame that list will be like cut in half by tomorrow.

Noctis
Mar 16th, 2010, 12:38 PM
just like last year.

babsi
Mar 16th, 2010, 01:04 PM
I am not really a Kim fan but seeing that loss to Kleybanova just made me feel depressed.

hdfb
Mar 16th, 2010, 01:10 PM
It's quite ridiculous...... It's only making Woz's ranking higher. :(

goldenlox
Mar 16th, 2010, 01:25 PM
The way Caro played last match, she can win this.
Lena, Vera, Jelena, they've won this level tournaments.
I will be surprised if someone else wins.
But it could be a breakthru tournament for Navarro or Kleybanova, Wickmayer, Stosur.

This is the WTA. Serena has won, what?, one of the last 19 non majors she played?
She wouldnt win this either. She is taking a $400,000 fine to not play

tennisbum79
Mar 16th, 2010, 01:58 PM

This is the WTA. Serena has won, what?, one of the last 19 non majors she played?

What is your point exactly?

You have a keen way working Serena in your post.
She is not here.
Why don't talk about those who are and who win non-majors?

BuTtErFrEnA
Mar 16th, 2010, 02:02 PM
But it could be a breakthru tournament for Navarro or Kleybanova, Wickmayer, Stosur.

what the hell does this have to do with serena :spit:

anyways wasn't this the same poster who said kim proved the tour was a joke with her us open win?? what's changed now??

vanúss
Mar 16th, 2010, 02:03 PM
just like last year.

That's what make me :lol: , too many people thought the WTA was about to be 'saved'...It's still a mess with ups & downs :shrug:

tennisbum79
Mar 16th, 2010, 02:07 PM

Ever the optimist.
Everyday, as your previous picks keep falling, you have new picks.
Everyday, you say the tournament is getting better.

Lucemferre
Mar 16th, 2010, 02:13 PM
What is your point exactly?

You have a keen way working Serena in your post.
She is not here.
Why don't talk about those who are and who win non-majors?

For some reason this goldenlox poster is extremely snsitive about IW.He/she always defends and promotes the tournament like he/she works for it.Of course can't do it without taking a dig at Williams along the way. Who knows maybe he/she really works for IW :lol:

tennisbum79
Mar 16th, 2010, 02:15 PM
For some reason this goldenlox poster is extremely snsitive about IW.He/she always defends and promotes the tournament like he/she works for it.Of course can't do it without taking a dig at Williams along the way. Who knows maybe he/she really works for IW :lol:
Yeah. S/he does not miss an opportunity to miss an opportunity

DemWilliamsGulls
Mar 16th, 2010, 02:21 PM

Im enjoying it.

Wow ...and who are they again? lol

Yilongru
Mar 16th, 2010, 02:25 PM
really strange here,just likes the wind blows them away.

goldenlox
Mar 16th, 2010, 02:29 PM
I think the only strange result was Justine losing.
But the 2010 - on, Justine might do that when still 2 months from a major.

Otherwise, the only huge upset I see is Vika. And she is not a proven consistent Tier I player. She is a young player who started this year well.
Now Caro and Alisa are stepping up a little.

Kipling
Mar 16th, 2010, 02:41 PM

Im enjoying it.

No kidding! This is one of the best tournaments in a long time, and I say that with most of my faves out. It's nice to see some of the younger players breaking through.

I hope Miami brings as many surprises.

tennnisfannn
Mar 16th, 2010, 02:56 PM
I think the only strange result was Justine losing.
But the 2010 - on, Justine might do that when still 2 months from a major.

I think the only strange result is JJ continues to survive.

goldenlox
Mar 16th, 2010, 02:59 PM
Its only Round of 16.

Vlover
Mar 16th, 2010, 03:03 PM
Just part of their defence mechanism as the Sisters and their fans always get the last laugh!:happy:

goldenlox
Mar 16th, 2010, 03:11 PM
I am not insulting Serena at all.
I am saying that Serena is showing the current model for top players.

Majors are much more important to them.
What Justine did in 2007 is out. She was winning every tournament she played, and it might have burned her out.

Top players will try to be fresh for majors.

And it will show at 2 week Tier Is, especially when the next major is on a different surface and there are more Tier I's coming up.

This is a Super Tier I with a $700,000 1st prize and all 16 players left have not won a major.
Which is what I thought the thread starter was talking about

Belmont Lad
Mar 16th, 2010, 03:39 PM
This tourney has become a hot tranny mess. And not a cute tranny. :help: And I find it uproarious that JJ is still in the draw. :lol: Go you crazy lady!

Volcana
Mar 16th, 2010, 04:02 PM
The tournament has been GREAT.

Kleybanova and Zheng are both showing that promise they showed earlier this year wasn't a one off. Wozniacki is showing that her ranking is no fluke. And Dementieva is still holding it down for the Old Guard.

Volcana
Mar 16th, 2010, 04:05 PM
I think the only strange result is JJ continues to survive.She's a top ten player. And she's way past ridingon her 2008 results. Through it all, she's remained a top ten player. Why is it strange that she'd be in the round-of-16?

And there's nothing particularly unusual about a player seeded to make the round-of-16 losing in the round-of-32. In fact it's common.

If you look at results in 2010, and add inthat Henin isn't primarily trying to win tournaments, the only the 'strange' result is Azarenka losing.

BrianII
Mar 16th, 2010, 04:15 PM
I'm not particularly partial to Indian Wells, but is it really that different from this years AO and Last years USO in terms of seeds going out early , the problem here seem to be big names, not necessarily top seeds going out. AO was credible 'cos we had a top seed vs a big name in the final but in actual fact was laughable in terms of the performance of many of the top seeds, even more so at last years USO, middling top seed vs big name in the final ..the rest of the tournament was a blood bath for top seeds. maybe this is just the future trend of big hardcourt events lets wait till Miami is over before passing judgement.

AndreConrad
Mar 16th, 2010, 04:19 PM
Five out of top 8 seeds are still in so more then half. I think the course of this tournament is very strong. A lot of posters here have an opinion who is and who is not a top player and whine if the reality does not confirm their opinion. Well, a lot of top players are still in challenged by talented players that are ranked lower just because the talent goes rather deep. I keep enjoying WTA.

olivero
Mar 16th, 2010, 04:23 PM
just like last year.

no
last year was worse.
this year's IW is really not THAT bad. Actually only Vika's and Kim's losses were disappointing for me

Roookie
Mar 16th, 2010, 05:41 PM
What is this agenda from the WS fans against Indian Wells about?.

Thkmra
Mar 16th, 2010, 06:02 PM

...It's not an 'Agenda', but more of a :lol: 'Told Ya So'!!

BuTtErFrEnA
Mar 16th, 2010, 06:51 PM

what agenda? :spit: i'd hate to think you are considering Steffica a ws fan :rolls:

Cosantoir
Mar 16th, 2010, 07:05 PM

Kleybanova and Zheng are both showing that promise they showed earlier this year wasn't a one off. Wozniacki is showing that her ranking is no fluke. And Dementieva is still holding it down for the Old Guard.

Wozniacki barely beating King and bageling Kirilenko is a feat most players in the top 50 can do. She hasn't even reached the quarterfinals of a tournament this year.

The Witch-king
Mar 16th, 2010, 07:15 PM

tsk tsk. I like Butterfrena's response.

spencercarlos
Mar 16th, 2010, 07:22 PM
She's a top ten player. And she's way past ridingon her 2008 results. Through it all, she's remained a top ten player. Why is it strange that she'd be in the round-of-16?

And there's nothing particularly unusual about a player seeded to make the round-of-16 losing in the round-of-32. In fact it's common.

If you look at results in 2010, and add inthat Henin isn't primarily trying to win tournaments, the only the 'strange' result is Azarenka losing.
Plus, did not Henin lose to a seeded player? she Dulko was seeded, its not like she lost to an unknown lowe player.

miffedmax
Mar 16th, 2010, 08:37 PM

Nyet! Lena would be of the Leib Guard (Life Guard, or Imperial Russian Guard), Holy Mother Russia's equivalent of the Old Guard. ;)

DOUBLEFIST
Mar 16th, 2010, 08:57 PM
I am not insulting Serena at all.
I am saying that Serena is showing the current model for top players.

Majors are much more important to them.
What Justine did in 2007 is out. She was winning every tournament she played, and it might have burned her out.

Top players will try to be fresh for majors.

And it will show at 2 week Tier Is, especially when the next major is on a different surface and there are more Tier I's coming up.

This is a Super Tier I with a $700,000 1st prize and all 16 players left have not won a major.
Which is what I thought the thread starter was talking about

:lol: So Serena is to blame for ALL these girls going belly up? :spit: She's THAT enfluencial. Kuz', 'Pova, Juju, Kim, Vika all said let's "put on cruise control because Serena's right?" :lol:

Once again, Serena has cast her long evil shadow over the high dessert of California.

SMDH

Andy.
Mar 16th, 2010, 09:41 PM
Im really starting to tire of all the top players dropping like flies. I get so excited for these tournaments and then this happens and I lose interest after the third round. I just wish the top players would bring it week and and week out like 10 years ago. Increased depth has killed womens tennis. Bring back the 90's and early 2000's.

LeRoy.
Mar 16th, 2010, 09:51 PM
I love the Belgians, Kim and Justine, but all the pre-talk about them being the saviours of tennis and what not, now seems soooo funny. :haha:

goldenlox
Mar 16th, 2010, 09:52 PM
Nothing evil or good about it. Just like nothing good or evil about a long winning streak

Elwin.
Mar 16th, 2010, 10:13 PM
With Dementieva, Zvonareva, Jankovic and some upcoming players it's still an exciting tournament. ( for me it is :lol: )

LightWarrior
Mar 17th, 2010, 02:01 AM
It's appalling. Top seeds have no game plans anymore, they choke when they're not supposed to. Also what I've noticed in most (I guess all) matches betweens winners/UEs is abysmal. Seems these days Serena is the only player on tour to have a positive ratio.

Poova
Mar 17th, 2010, 02:16 AM
5 of the top 8 seeds in the QF. Not bad.

I think somebody else put it best (can't remember who, sorry) when they said that it was the big names dropping, not the top seeds. Three top seeds losing early is pretty standard.