PDA

View Full Version : Nicole now retired :sobbing:

hellas719
Mar 16th, 2010, 03:15 AM
http://www.tennisforum.com/showthread.php?t=404313

I hope it's not true :scared::sobbing:

Jaffas85
Mar 16th, 2010, 03:22 AM
why would she go to the trouble of attaining a main draw wildcard for Miami to then announce several weeks later that she is going to retire?

Doesn't make sense.

Even though her results have been average since at least the beginning of 2009 she's still only 20 so she's too young to give it away completely.

Maybe it could be a good idea if she took a 12 month hiatus to mentally refresh.

Temperenka
Mar 16th, 2010, 03:38 AM
Whatever her decision, I hope it is what makes her happy. :sad: :hug:

hellas719
Mar 16th, 2010, 04:27 AM
Nicole is officially done :sobbing:
http://www.tennisforum.com/showpost.php?p=17433088&postcount=60

hellas719
Mar 16th, 2010, 04:28 AM
I'm gonna committ suicide :sobbing:

hellas719
This can't be true :bigcry:

hellas719
Please Nicole, don't do this to us! :sobbing:

hellas719
You can do it, Nicole! I believe in you! :awww:

hellas719
Mar 16th, 2010, 04:29 AM
I just don't understand this...she was making a lot of progress too :(
But I know she'll be back someday, there's NO WAY that she'll be done for good. She's SO talented :sobbing:

Sexysova
Mar 16th, 2010, 05:50 AM
be happy Nicole, I have nothing to say, fuck off tennis now :bigcry:

andrewbroad
Mar 16th, 2010, 06:14 AM
I was gutted when I saw the following article at tennisreporters . net:
>>>
Nicole Vaidišová Retires At 20 (Monday 15th March 2010)

Former world No.7 and two-time Major semi-finalist Nicole Vaidišová has retired at the age 20, sources told TennisReporters . net. She's scheduled to marry Czech player Radek Štěpánek in July.

Despite a huge amount of talent, the powerful and temperamental Vaidišová really hit the skids in the past two years, and will end her career ranked No.176 after taking a second-round loss in Memphis last month. She just informed the tournament in Miami that she's turning down a wild card, and pulled out of all her events the rest of the year.

A winner of six WTA titles, Vaidišová reached the semi-finals of the 2006 French Open and 2007 Australian Open before beginning to lose her desire, and battling with her stepfather and coach: Aleš Kodat. She went 11:17 in 2009, and didn't respond to either encouragement or stern words from her friends and family. She couldn't contend with losing, no longer had the desire to compete hard, and began to dislike the sport.
<<<

Sources: Vaidišová retires at age 20, will marry (Monday 15th March 2010)
http://www.tennis.com/ticker/index.aspx
>>>
Sources say that Nicole Vaidišová has retired at the age 20, and will marry fellow Czech player Radek Štěpánek in July.

A former top-ten player and winner of six WTA titles, the big-hitting Vaidišová reached the semi-finals of the 2006 French Open and 2007 Australian Open before falling on hard times.

She went 11:17 in 2009, and will end her career ranked No.176 – well below her career high of No.7 in May 2007. She is said to have tired of losing, and lacks the desire to grind her way back.—Matthew Cronin
<<<

My reaction:

To lose a member of my Eternal Fanship at just 20 is devastating, as 20 is still 'young' in tennis-terms. Nicole is actually still the youngest member of my Eternal Fanship (even though I've inducted three more players since I inducted Nicole), and has the potential for an amazing career.

Nicole's huge serve and forehand were – and could be again – two of the biggest weapons I've ever seen in women's tennis. She was also impressively versatile, and had a brilliant ability to improvise. When she reached the semi-finals of the French Open 2006 by beating Amélie Mauresmo and Venus Williams back to back, I thought she was a tremendous fighter with inner belief and inner fire.

Nicole was one of the most precocious youngsters in tennis-history, winning two WTA singles-titles when she was only 15, three more at 16, and her sixth – and sadly last – at 17. She also reached her two Major semi-finals at 17.

Sadly, Nicole lost the plot two years ago, often looking like her mind was a million miles away from the court. Starting with a truly shocking 6-4 6-0 loss to the then-unheralded Alisa Kleybanova at Miami 2008, she embarked on a slump that looked like it was going to be of Jelena Dokić proportions – except that Nicole has decided to pull the plug before reaching the bottom and rising again. Well, Jelena actually decided to retire in 2007, but changed her mind four weeks later.

Nicole's 2010 campaign started with first-round losses at ITF Lutz and ITF Midland. She then actually won a main-draw match on the WTA Tour, beating Laura Granville 6-4 6-2 in the first round of Memphis, and losing 4-6 6-1 6-3 to Kaia Kanepi in the second round.

Nicole's last match was a 4-6 7-6 (12/10) 7-6 (7/4) loss to 17-year-old US Open Girls' Singles champion Heather Watson in the first round of ITF Hammond. Nicole's current ranking is #176, but looks set to drop out of the top 256 as her third-round points from Indian Wells and Miami 2009 come off.

With so many players coming back after announcing their retirements – Kim Clijsters, Justine Henin, Martina Hingis, Kimiko Date Krumm, Alicia Molik – I can only hope that Nicole will join them in the future (perhaps under the name Nicole Štěpánková). Perhaps she needs a long break from tennis right now, but she's got so many tennis-years ahead of her, and it would be a tragic shame to waste her phenomenal talent forever.

--
Dr. Andrew Broad

Spiritof42
Mar 16th, 2010, 06:18 AM
:speakles:

When I said marrying Radek might prove to be the final nail in the coffin of her tennis career, I didn't mean it so literally. I certainly didn't expect it to happen so quickly. :tape:

She's till so young. I just hope her time away from the game will give her some motivation to make a REAL comeback later on.

Vaidisova Ruled
Mar 16th, 2010, 08:42 AM
Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ooooooooooooo

tiffanykatya.
Mar 16th, 2010, 09:57 AM
:speakles:

HowardH
Mar 16th, 2010, 11:18 AM
Is this for real? :o :sad:. Everyone comes back these days, maybe she can come back some time. I don't want to believe it. How can this be happening...

HowardH
Mar 16th, 2010, 11:35 AM
Radek better be faithful :fiery:.

Noctis
Mar 16th, 2010, 11:37 AM
crying wont help.
best wishes to her.

Vikkiri.
Mar 16th, 2010, 11:38 AM
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO :( :( :( :(
i'm so cry :bigcry: :bigcry: :bigcry: :bigcry: :bigcry:
Nicole ....

Merseykmight
Mar 16th, 2010, 12:25 PM
Please...tell me this is not true... :sad:

Nena_xxx
Mar 16th, 2010, 12:29 PM
I'm so sad... :bigcry: :bigcry: :bigcry:

Acinolbaj
Mar 16th, 2010, 01:34 PM
this is just...so..painful. :hysteric::sobbing::hysteric:

allrounder
Mar 16th, 2010, 01:43 PM
Very sad news indeed and out of nowhere really at this early stage of the season :sad: Thanks for the memories i guess :shrug: Who'd have thought just 3 or 4 years ago when she came close to making those 2 slam finals that she'd be done at 20? it's just too young when you think she's from the same age group as Vika, Lisicki and Wickmayer who are all rising players. I just hope this isn't the end for good of her time on the tour and she'l come back hungry in the not too distant future :sobbing:

terceira
Mar 16th, 2010, 01:57 PM
Nicoooole :crying2:
I think she maybe pregnant

VIKA?
Mar 16th, 2010, 02:00 PM
ohmygod:hysteric::hysteric::hysteric: can't believe this:bigcry:

Craigy
Mar 16th, 2010, 02:22 PM
Two of my faves retired by the age of 20. I give up. :crying2:

HowardH
Mar 16th, 2010, 03:52 PM
Nicole, by Point Blank. Before I was born, before Nicole was born, but nevertheless... a tribute song.

nqbiStlWc6Y

Slutati
Mar 16th, 2010, 04:22 PM
She'll be back. :tears:

Nena_xxx
Mar 16th, 2010, 05:51 PM
Is there any interview or anything from Nicole?

AnywhereButHome
Mar 16th, 2010, 08:11 PM
:help::bigcry::bigcry::bigcry::bigcry::bigcry::big cry::bigcry::bigcry::bigcry::bigcry:

Yellow Moon
Mar 16th, 2010, 08:51 PM
Farewell to Great Expectations :tears:...
http://i39.tinypic.com/5wvw3p.jpg
true fans will remember your form ;)!

shar1982
Mar 16th, 2010, 09:37 PM
Hey Nicole!! All the best in a married life!! Enjoy it! You'll be missed!!

hurricanejeanne
Mar 16th, 2010, 09:58 PM
I'm heartbroken.
Nicole literally saved tennis for me after Davenport retired after becoming pregnant with her first child. It's so hard to say goodbye to a player who not only is in the prime age of a career but has all the talent and had the drive to compete. It'd be one thing if she got seriously injured and couldn't return, but to just give up hurts so much more.

To all Nicole fans :hug::hug::hug:

hellas719
Mar 16th, 2010, 10:55 PM
Ondrej, do you know if Nicole said anything? Is this making headlines in the CR?

andrewbroad
Mar 16th, 2010, 11:08 PM

^That's not Nicole!

#kArLoS#
Mar 17th, 2010, 12:31 AM
I wasnt expecting this at all.She seemed to care again and now this...:speakles:.Why?:bigcry::sobbing::hysteric:. But if this makes her happy,just do it.Best whises:):):).Have a happy marriage,Nikki;).And who knows?maybe she will get bored in the upcoming years and decide to come back,she is too young already:shrug::)

Sexysova
Mar 17th, 2010, 05:41 AM
this is not Nicole :rolleyes:

Nadie
Mar 17th, 2010, 02:22 PM
:awww: :awww: good luck in your new life, Nicole :hug: please be happy :bounce:

hellas719
Mar 18th, 2010, 02:02 AM
They just talked about her retirement on the Tennis Channel and Kim said that she isn't surprised because Nicole never looked happy...

Spiritof42
Mar 18th, 2010, 05:58 AM
I wonder what she intends to do with her life now (apart from getting married). Get a college diploma? Have Radek's babies and become his PR agent? Who knows how long HE will keep playing? Considering her age, a comeback to the tour a couple years from now would not be unthinkable. But for that to happen she would have to rediscover her passion for the game, assuming she ever HAD a passion for it in the first place. At this point, I'm not sure what to think.

andrewbroad
Mar 19th, 2010, 03:27 PM
I wonder what she intends to do with her life now (apart from getting married). Get a college diploma?

A BBC commentator last year said that Nicole wasn't the player she once was because she was concentrating on her studies.

Have Radek's babies and become his PR agent?

She should wait five years before using her marriage, and then, if she still doesn't want to come back, make some Štěpánková sisters for us to watch in the 2030s!

Considering her age, a comeback to the tour a couple years from now would not be unthinkable. But for that to happen she would have to rediscover her passion for the game, assuming she ever HAD a passion for it in the first place.

No one who saw Nicole come from sets down to beat Amélie Mauresmo and Venus Williams back to back at the French Open 2006 would question the passion that she had back then.

Merseykmight
Mar 20th, 2010, 09:13 AM
God bless you,Nicole.
Please be a happy girl.
Anyway,it will be great if you get a college diploma!~

HowardH
Mar 23rd, 2010, 11:57 PM
From GM:

Instead of preparing for the upcoming Sony Ericsson Open, former tennis phenom Nicole Vaidisova was wrapped in a blanket sitting in the stands at the Sunrise Tennis Club cheering on her fiance, Radek Stepanek, the top seed at the BMW Tennis Championship Challenger Wednesday evening.

"I'm just a tennis fan,'' said Vaidisova, 20, who refused to confirm reports that she has turned down a wild card into the Sony, is retired and will marry her 17th-ranked compatriot. "You can talk to Radek.''

However, the Czech Daily Report has quoted her stepfather and former coach Alex Kodat as saying she is, "fed up with tennis.''

"Her agent told me last week. She's fed up with tennis and that's understandable. She started very young," Kodat said.

Vaidisova, who reached a career-high No. 7 in May 2007 at 17 but is now ranked 177th, is no longer listed among the active players on the Sony Ericsson WTA web site.

Meanwhile, Stepanek, 31, who dated former No. 1 Martina Hingis before Vaidisova, downed Ukraine Sergiy Stakhovsky 6-1, 6-3 in a rain-delayed first-round match. And afterwards admitted that the two will be married, but left the retirement issue to his fiance.

"We are getting married,'' said Stepanek, who finished 2009 a career-best 12th. "It's great to have her by my side supporting me. It means so much to me.

"This [retirement] question is for her. If she wants to say something then she would say it.''

Firstly, it seems Nicole is not only tired of tennis but also of answering questions. She wants to be "just a tennis fan"- she would like to be out of the limelight.

Secondly, I guess Nicole is not in contact with her stepfather, since he said "Her agent told me last week." Does that also mean she is not in contact with her mum much either? So being with Radek might be a way of being away from the pressures of home as well.

Thirdly, Radek lost his second round match rather unimpressively to Leonardo Mayer.

And lastly, I really do hope Nicole is going to be happy and is not just marrying Radek to try to escape from the pressures she has been under. Radek is right, the retirement thing is hers to talk about.

Anyway, we will see. Who knows what will happen in the next couple of years?

hellas719
Mar 24th, 2010, 02:59 AM
Nicole is being so bitchy about this :rolleyes:
Why can't she just make an official statement? It's really annoying :o

hellas719
Mar 24th, 2010, 03:01 AM
And Radek is really annoying when he says "It means so much to have her here" :rolleyes:
Yeah, it means so much that you killed her career? :o

IMO Radek was doing fine without her at his matches :shrug:

I just hope Nicole comes back :sobbing:

#kArLoS#
Mar 24th, 2010, 07:30 PM
There is a thing that annoys me:Nicole let down her career and focused on cheer for Stepakula,so why he didn´t do the same?.I believe that if he would have supported Nicole like she did to him,she wouldn´t be reaching so many lows as she eventually did:sobbing::fiery:

Temperenka
Mar 26th, 2010, 05:02 PM
For anyone that receives TENNIS magazine... there is a 3-page article about Nicole's struggles in the April edition (obviously written pre-retirement),

Nena_xxx
Mar 26th, 2010, 05:14 PM
Can someone post it here?

joăo.
Mar 30th, 2010, 06:55 PM
No news pos-retirement so far? :sad: