PDA

View Full Version : I've never got an answer to this easy question

CanadianBoy21
Oct 5th, 2002, 01:11 AM
I've been wondering for a long time now why LIE DEDACTORS are not used to see if people are lying...? For example, why couldn't they take a lie dedactor with Bill Clinton, instead they went through so much time to waste.
Why need courts at all, why not just put in a lie dedactor.
Why need lawyers
Why need judges
Why need the jury
Why the need to waste time??????????

Are lie dedactors even used at all these days...
this might be stupid question, but I just don't know the answer.

Jetta
Oct 5th, 2002, 01:16 AM
Lie detectors do not always work

Jetta
And some Lie detector evidence are not allowed in trials.

Poe
because they are not infalible and there are people who are able to cheat them

Crazy Canuck
Oct 5th, 2002, 01:17 AM
Lie detectors aren't always useful, because they aren't fool proof.

They measure your pulse rate when answering questions, right?

Certain people have the ability to maintain a certain control over that, and answer questions falsely, while their body gives the response that they are telling the truth.

Justin
Oct 5th, 2002, 01:39 AM
And some Lie detector evidence are not allowed in trials.

No lie detectors are allowed as evidence at trial.

CanadianBoy21
Oct 5th, 2002, 01:43 AM
They could still be used, couldn't they? If they ask someone if they commited a murder and they say 'yes' then they can go right into jail, if they did say no then they still continue there research, so it should be said that lie dedactors should be only taken proof to people that do commit crimes and admit to it, and if they say they are innocent then that should not be considered proof in any way, there for it is up to the court to determine if they are innocent or not, like they do now, it would eliminate half the bad guys in a snap.

Justin
Oct 5th, 2002, 01:47 AM
Nope. A lie dectector is not a confession. :)

lrg bllt
Oct 5th, 2002, 02:46 AM
and some innocent people could get wrongly accused cos if you're really freakin out the lie detector might say your lying but your really not, your just nervous.

Crazy Canuck
Oct 5th, 2002, 05:17 AM
It isn't that simple Superhero...

If all it takes is someone to say "yes" to get them convicted, a series of new problems would surface from that - that are just extensions of problems that already exist.

Even confessions are iffy when used to get a conviction sometimes, because there have been cases where an individual was "bullied" into giving a confession so that the police could get their conviction. As well as a good old pat on the bad, for a job "well done".

The pressure that the public puts on the criminal justice system to find the guilty party and get a conviction for heinious crimes is quite immense - it is this pressure that leads to the problems of forced confessions as it is (there are also sometimes racial issues, that I won't touch on here).

If all it required was a simple "yes", when asked "did you do it' - the process of pyschologically (sometimes physcially) wearing down an individual untill they will confess will become a hell of a lot easier.

Fingon
Oct 5th, 2002, 05:26 AM
In fact there have been people that have pleaded guilty and they were innocent, some times they make a deal, some times they are cheated, some times they don't realize what they are saying.

It's more complex than a yes or not.

lie detectors were never very accurate and were more a psychological preasure.

There is a case of a criminal that was being interrogating, the police officers were using a photocopier, every time they thought they lied, they would photocopy a page with the message "he is lying", they put wires on his head and he believed it and confessed :rolleyes:

Scotso
Oct 5th, 2002, 05:42 AM
Originally posted by Superhero
They could still be used, couldn't they? If they ask someone if they commited a murder and they say 'yes' then they can go right into jail, if they did say no then they still continue there research

Uhm, HELLO. They can admit to it without a machine strapped to them.

Scotso
Oct 5th, 2002, 05:44 AM
By the way, perhaps you would have learned about this in school had you gone. You also could have learned to spell.

Sam L
Oct 5th, 2002, 10:11 AM
That's true I heard people can cheat lie detectors.

You know what I think, there's a simple way to solve crimes without judges, lawyers, jury and other wastes of time. Hidden Cameras everywhere and DNA samples of everyone and microchipping of everyone.

I know some die-hard civil libertarians are going to be opposed to it etc.. etcc.. but obviously they haven't had any injustice done to them :rolleyes:

It's simple we have the technology.

Kiwi_Boy
Oct 5th, 2002, 10:28 AM
that is a good idea,but i suppose if it fell into the wrong hands or anything it could lead to problems,but it would insure justice. the reality is that, that becoming wide spread is a long way off,some people are micro-chipping themselve's though today.
:):):):):):)

gmt
Oct 6th, 2002, 08:35 AM
And some people can blush even while stating the plain truth :o:angel:

irma
Oct 6th, 2002, 08:38 AM
I would be caught even when I was innocent since the idea would make me nervous