PDA

View Full Version : Dumb American Tourist with shit for brains

Jay
Oct 5th, 2002, 12:45 AM
Jay's advice of the day: NEVER try to pat a lion on its head, ok.

Pietersburg (Polokwane)- The family of an American tourist, who was attacked by three young lions on a Northern Province game farm on Friday, are considering a civil claim against the owners of the farm.

Senior superintendent Frans Mojapelo confirmed on Sunday that Kimberley Thomen (34) was attacked by lions on Leshoka Thabang game farm between Potgietersrus (Makopane) and Roedtan, about 60km from Pietersburg.

Thomen apparently attacked by the lions when she got off a game-viewing vehicle to pat one of them on the head.

The lion snapped at her, giving her a fright, and, when she screamed, all three attacked her.

She was saved by the intervention of the tour guide, a woman, who "pulled the lions off with her bare hands", said friends of Thomen later.

Thomen, from Sugarland near Houston in Texas, was with a group of mainly-American hunters. They arrived on the game farm on Thursday, and were planning to leave on Sunday.

Attacked after she screamed

But, with Thomen in hospital, the rest of the group is still on the farm. They plan to return to the United States on June 18.

Thomen said on Sunday from her hospital bed in Polokwane MediClinic that they were on a game-viewing vehicle in the veld when they spotted the lions.

There were three lions, not very big, she said, but not cubs any more. The female guide said it was safe for the tourists to get off the vehicle.

Bite wound to the neck

Thomen and the guide got off and Thomen patted the head of one of the lions. He was "fairly big and his mane was already starting to appear".

The lion suddenly snapped in her direction. She got a fright and screamed. The other lions then charged and attacked her.

Thomen had wounds all over her body, including a bite to the neck, but no wounds to her face. "She is lucky to be alive," said hospital personnel.

A doctor said on Sunday that the wounds showed no sign of infection.

Two friends who visited Thomen on Sunday morning said they appreciated the way the guide had tried to drag the lions off Thomen "with her bare hands". It is not known whether she was armed.

Thomen said she thought the attack was partly due to "bad judgment on the side of the game-farm personnel, "but also "partly on my side".

Leshoka Thabang personnel could not be reached for comment on Sunday.

King Satan
Oct 5th, 2002, 12:50 AM
What a dumb shit! lol

Kiwi_Boy
Oct 5th, 2002, 02:43 AM
lmao!:D ,what dumb morons!,in game parks and that in africa there are usualy signs every where saying "dont leave your car",.The sad thing is the morons will probably go home and gloat about their "adventure",honestly if i saw it i would laugh my ass off!:rolleyes: ......some people!:rolleyes:

TheBoiledEgg
Oct 5th, 2002, 04:07 AM
how stupid can you get :rolleyes:

she asked for it.
what do you expect the lions to do when she's dangling herself in front of them "eat me if you can"

Kiwi_Boy
Oct 5th, 2002, 04:13 AM
some tourists are so dumb they think the whole bloody world is disney land:rolleyes:
in a local safari park/zoo in n.z you used to be able to drive into the lion enclosure,but it was closed because lots of jappenese tourists got out of their tour busses/cars and had picinics only meters away from the lions:rolleyes: (the rangers had a time trying to get them back into their vehicles)

Ryan
Oct 5th, 2002, 04:15 AM
Maybe I should do that to the next black bear I see around my backyard.:rolleyes: Morons.

Crazy Canuck
Oct 5th, 2002, 05:58 AM
rotflmao

Some people, just have NO common sense :rolleyes:

Kiwi_Boy
Oct 5th, 2002, 06:32 AM
common sense,lets leave it at sense period!:)

Sophie
Oct 12th, 2002, 12:46 AM
This kind of stuff actually happens a lot here. One time, some European woman (don't remember where from) actually tried to put her 1 year old on a lion's back for a photo. The baby survived, but the mother was killed.

DutchieGirl
Oct 12th, 2002, 03:48 AM
Why are people so stupid? And now they wanna sue the game park... well, she took the risk of patting the lion on the head... she didn't have to try and do it, even if she was told it was safe she should use some sense! I got the opportunity to pat a cheetah at a wildlife park when I was in South Africa, but we had to sign a form saying if anything happened, it's not the parks fault... I decided to do it anyway... that's my decision... she should think the same way - but I'll bet she ends up getting a big payout! No one uses common sense these days...it should be called "uncommon sense" instead! ;)

Sam L
Oct 12th, 2002, 05:55 AM
They should be fed to lions for been so stupid.

Scott Storm
Oct 12th, 2002, 08:20 AM
That's cheered me right up!