PDA

View Full Version : Is German easy to learn?

ttaM
Oct 4th, 2002, 11:35 PM
I'm going to major in Film. And since that is part of the College of Arts and Science I need another credit of a foreign language. I decided on German. I took French in High School, only because they fired the teacher who taught German. So, on top of that I'm taking British Literature, Currect US-Issues, Cinema History and possibly Film 1 (if I can get into it).

Maajken
Oct 4th, 2002, 11:45 PM
German is a tough language to learn. If you really need to know the ins and outs, that is.

Ive had three years of german in highschool and failed the course at uni this year so yeah its tough :-s and you need to do your utmost best to pass it. Someting i havent done so i shouldnt be talking, but really its much more difficult than french.

Giuliano
Oct 4th, 2002, 11:49 PM
But at least it's a more logical language than french. In french, you have rules, exceptions to the rule and exceptions to the exception. I know what I'm talking about lol.

Maajken
Oct 4th, 2002, 11:52 PM
No really. In german there are rules, but there are more expections to the rule than examples that actually follow the rule :confused:

Giuliano
Oct 4th, 2002, 11:57 PM
I meant what I said about french, sorry. It can be still a pain for french-speaking people. Well at least he seemed to me that german was more logical. :confused:

disposablehero
Oct 4th, 2002, 11:59 PM
Nein

Dahveed
Oct 5th, 2002, 12:41 AM
Ich bin a wtaworld poster!

CanadianBoy21
Oct 5th, 2002, 01:06 AM
Aber doch, ich lebte in deutschland fur feir jahre, und ich weisse nichts, ich lebte in canada und ich wunte zu lernen deutsch.

What I just said is that Germna is hard to learn, I lived there for four years, and I don't know almost nothing, now I live in Canada and really want to learn German again.
-----------------------------------------------------------
I lived in Germany when i was 9-13 about, and before I moved to Canada I knew fluently German, but then I didn't speak it for four years, as now I am 17...I went this summer to Germany and my memory came back a little, but it is hard, like any language...
English was hard for me too, same as German...

Crazy Canuck
Oct 5th, 2002, 01:14 AM
Well I don't find Spanish too bad yet, but a limited knowledge of French actually helps somewhat there (can also mess you up as well, it makes my prof quite irate when we pronounce spanish words like they are french ;))

I can't help with German though :o But good luck.

I want to learn German or Italien next, so let us know how it goes ;)

Jetta
Oct 5th, 2002, 01:15 AM
I lot of german words look like english words though, very similar. So I think only maybe the tenses and verbs might be hard.

Crazy Canuck
Oct 5th, 2002, 01:23 AM
Does German not have lots of "faux-freinds" as my teachers used to put it (how stupid, combining the french and english, make up your minds people) - words that look like an english word, but don't bear the same meaning.

For example in French "sympathique" means nice/freindly/pleasant, as opposed to sympathetic.

Sypathetic would be "compatissant", I think...

Anyhow, does German not have words like that too?

Jetta
Oct 5th, 2002, 01:25 AM
the meanings of most words are pretty close if they are not the same.......so you can pretty much guess what the meanings are and get it right.

Irish
Oct 5th, 2002, 01:29 AM
Nein. Zwei Bitburgers bitte. :)

Lived in Germany two years and hardly learned any. :o

Crazy Canuck
Oct 5th, 2002, 01:29 AM
I know, it is like with French and Spanish.

But can anyone tell me about those "faux-freinds" or not :D

I always hated those in highscool..

Canek
Oct 5th, 2002, 01:44 AM
Rebecca, the "faux friends" must be the "False Cognates". Between Spanish and English there are many. For example success is not "suceso" in spanish (suceso means "event") but¨"éxito", éxito in turn doesn't means "exit" (is "salida" in spanish)etc.

about German i can't help you, but i think that is as easy to learn as any language, of course depends what is your "mother language", if is flemish or danish must be easier than if you speaks spanish or portuguese. for example i find pretty easy to learn and to understand French, Italian, Portuguese, Catalan, Gallego, and the last month (reading the info at Bucharest open website) i have found that the Rumanian is pretty similar than spanish because is a "romance language".
then is very relative to say that German is harder or easier to learn;)

Jetta
Oct 5th, 2002, 01:46 AM
are faux-friends like fake cognates? the only one I can think of is Gift in german means poisonous liquid in english. There are others.....can't think of any other ones right now.....

Jetta
Oct 5th, 2002, 01:47 AM
oh hehe :p thanks Canek :p

ttaM
Oct 5th, 2002, 02:00 AM
Thanks for the info everyone

I will definately be more motivated to learn German than French. I've wanted to learn German for a long time. So...hope all goes well come January. :wavey:

Jetta
Oct 5th, 2002, 02:05 AM
GoMOnica, you're skipping the fall semester too huh :p

ttaM
Oct 5th, 2002, 02:27 AM
Alex, I'm in school this semester. Taking: Criminal Justice, Sociology, Astronomy, Current Int'l Problems. Everything is going well so far. I didn't go to school at all last year. So I took a year hiatus from school after my freshman year of college. ;)

irma
Oct 5th, 2002, 07:10 AM
the pronouncement is much harder when you start to concentrate on it! well at least I had big problems with that, the rest was easy(well in highschool then but I read and watched german tv all day. that helped a lot)

Princess Fiona
Oct 5th, 2002, 09:28 AM
Lived in Germany for three months and didn't learn anywhere near as much as I should. :o Viel Glück! ;)

Maajken
Oct 5th, 2002, 09:40 AM
Originally posted by Alexis
I lot of german words look like english words though, very similar. So I think only maybe the tenses and verbs might be hard.

Tenses and verbs arent more difficult than in any other language, its the case (genitive, dativ etc.) that causes the most problems.

spyro
Oct 5th, 2002, 09:44 AM
the pronouncement is hard, but some of my friends said that German is easier then English...( In High scholl we have French, English and German , beside our native Language )

Sam L
Oct 5th, 2002, 12:47 PM
I've always wanted to learn German. I have never had the time to actually go forward with the idea. I'm 22 so I'm running out of time. LOL

I want to learn it cause they say German is the 2nd most important language to learn if you're studying Science as a lot of Science literature is in German, which I've found is very true :o

Also I like Germany, they have good laws on animal rights and their Greens party is powerful! :)

I just need to find the time to learn it somehow! :)

schris
Oct 5th, 2002, 04:34 PM
Die deutsche Grammatik ist ziemlich schwierig ;)

BB
Oct 5th, 2002, 04:37 PM
german is very hard to learn, luckily I speak it since my childhood ;)

Maajken
Oct 5th, 2002, 04:39 PM
See thats not fair! BB do you wanna come and sit my german exams for me? ;)

BB
Oct 5th, 2002, 04:44 PM
Originally posted by Angelica
See thats not fair! BB do you wanna come and sit my german exams for me? ;)

Would be a pleasure, but I fear I couldn't understand the english explainations during the exam :o:D

matthias
Oct 5th, 2002, 04:48 PM
all i can say is
it was very hard in school for me

i´m still very bad in german grammar
and i´m german :o

irma
Oct 5th, 2002, 04:58 PM
I found english grammatic much harder. it's so unlogic :o

Josh
Oct 5th, 2002, 04:59 PM
I never had German in school but I've learned it by listening to Hans-Jürgen Pohmann on ZDF and ARD. ;)

MS
Oct 5th, 2002, 05:03 PM
Well, I've been learnig German for some years now and I think German is really tough to learn if you want to learn it well ( I mean, when you reach a level, it's really difficult to progress), but well, once you get used to the Grammar and so, I think you can survive ;) (and I think it's easier to understand than English (I mean spoken))

billybizar
Oct 5th, 2002, 05:06 PM
Canek is right. It depends on what your native language is. Dutch speaking people usually don't have much trouble to understand; there are many similarities in etymology and syntax.

I've learned German for five years in high school and college and I had indeed most difficulties with the cases. But when you have an ordinary chit-chat with German people you'll find out it doesn't matter a lot whether you mix up the cases or not. They understand you very well.

Viel Glück mit der Erlernung Ihrer neuen Sprache!
:)

snoop
Oct 5th, 2002, 05:17 PM
I think english and german are very similar. So german is easier to learn than french. But the grammer is though, I hated it at school.
Es ist aber eine schöne Sprache, wenn man sie kann
Greetings from germany:)

veryborednow
Oct 5th, 2002, 05:23 PM
I just had to remember which one were nouns and shove a capital letter at the beginning... and ta da! I quit after a year.

Maajken
Oct 5th, 2002, 05:40 PM
Originally posted by BB

Would be a pleasure, but I fear I couldn't understand the english explainations during the exam :o:D

Im actually flemish ;) but the exam is totally in german anyway lol

Nikki
Oct 5th, 2002, 05:47 PM
I learnt German at school for 2 years & found it hard. i found french a lot easier out of the 2.

salima
Oct 5th, 2002, 05:55 PM
If you already speak english and french, german should not be hard to learn. But, the hard thing about it is the grammar, you better speak it by ear than think about An-auf -hinter- in-über-under for und zwichen rules.

anabel
Oct 5th, 2002, 10:16 PM
i started to learn it and i gave up... it has nothing to do with my language so it is so complicated for me.

although i can say somethings jeje as ich heiBe Anabel lol