PDA

View Full Version : High School Prom Cancelled because lesbian plans to bring girlfriend and wear a tuxed

Julian
Mar 12th, 2010, 05:45 AM
Not sure if this has already been posted:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100312/ap_on_re_us/us_lesbian_prom_date
Lesbian teen in prom flap sues, returns to school

http://d.yimg.com/a/p/ap/20100311/capt.ad1e3f76cfb041789104ba6e32d0825a-ad1e3f76cfb041789104ba6e32d0825a-0.jpg?x=213&y=132&xc=1&yc=1&wc=408&hc=253&q=85&sig=wnVJmeD6iroguMYvsfSX_Q-- (http://news.yahoo.com/nphotos/Myspace-Facebook-senior-prom/photo//100311/480/urn_publicid_ap_org_ad1e3f76cfb041789104ba6e32d082 5a//s:/ap/20100312/ap_on_re_us/us_lesbian_prom_date) AP – Constance McMillen, an 18-year-old senior at Itawamba County Agricultural High School, reads her many …

By SHELIA BYRD, Associated Press Writer Shelia Byrd, Associated Press Writer – 15 mins ago
JACKSON, Miss. – Constance McMillen didn't believe her Mississippi school district would really call off her senior prom rather than allow her to show up with her girlfriend and wear a tuxedo. On Thursday, a day after the Itawamba County school board did just that, the 18-year-old lesbian high school senior reluctantly returned to campus to some unfriendly looks, she said.
"Somebody said, 'Thanks for ruining my senior year.'" McMillen said.
The district announced Wednesday it wouldn't host the April 2 prom. The decision came after the American Civil Liberties Union demanded that officials change a policy banning same-sex prom dates because it violated students' rights. And the ACLU said the district not letting McMillen wear a tuxedo violated her free expression rights.
The ACLU filed a lawsuit in U.S. District Court in Oxford to force the school district to sponsor the prom and allow McMillen to bring whom she chooses and wear what she wants.
District officials didn't returned numerous calls left by The Associated Press seeking comment on Thursday.
McMillen said she never expected the district to respond the way it did.
"A lot of people said that was going to happen, but I said, they had already spent too much money on the prom" to cancel it, she said. "I'm just trying to get done what I originally wanted done. Now, we're having to fight just to have a prom."
McMillen said she didn't want to go back to Itawamba County Agricultural High School in Fulton the morning after the decision, but her father told her she needed to face her classmates, teachers and school officials.
"My daddy told me that I needed to show them that I'm still proud of who I am," McMillen told The Associated Press in a telephone interview. "The fact that this will help people later on, that's what's helping me to go on."
A school board statement said it wouldn't host the event in Fulton, "due to the distractions to the educational process caused by recent events" but never mentioned McMillen or her girlfriend, who also is a student at the school.
Same-sex prom dates and cross-dressing are new issues for many high schools around the country, said Daryl Presgraves, a spokesman for GLSEN: Gay, Lesbian and Straight Education Network, a Washington-based advocacy group.
"A lot of schools actually react rather than do the research and find out what the rights of these students are," said Presgraves, who was preparing to facilitate a discussion about anti-gay bullying at a National Association of Secondary School Principals meeting.
U.S. Rep. Jared Polis, D-Colo., said a bill he's introduced in Congress would protect students such as McMillen. Polis said the measure would make it illegal to discriminate against gay and lesbian school students. He said his bill is modeled after similar laws in at least 10 states.
"This situation with the prom is a perfect example of why we need to protect students from discrimination. In this case it's a prom. It other cases, it's getting beaten up or killed," Polis said.
Polis said he was "dismayed" by the school board's action.
"They ruined the prom, not only for this young woman, but for all of the straight kids at the school," he said.
The school district had said it hoped a privately sponsored prom could be held. McMillen said if that happens, she's sure she'll be excluded.
"It's a small town in Mississippi, and it's run by an older generation with money. Most of them are more conservative and they don't agree with it," she said.
Fulton Mayor Paul Walker said he supports the school district's decision and knew of no private efforts to host the prom.
"I think the community as a whole is probably in support of the school district," Walker said of the town of about 4,000.
Southside Baptist Church Pastor Bobby Crenshaw said he's seen the South portrayed as "backwards" on Web sites discussing the issue, "but a lot more people here have biblically based values."
Itawamba County is a rural area of about 23,000 people in north Mississippi near the Alabama state line. It's near Pontotoc County, Miss., where more than a decade ago school officials were sued in federal court over their practice of student-led intercom prayer and Bible classes.
A couple of students had different reactions to the decision.
Anna Watson, a 17-year-old junior at the high school, was looking forward to the prom, especially since the town's only hotspot is the bowling alley, she said.
"I am a little bummed out about it. I guess it's a decision that had to be made. Either way someone was going to get disappointed — either Constance was or we were," Watson said. "I don't agree with homosexuality, but I can't change what another person thinks or does."
McKenzie Chaney, 16, said she wasn't planning to attend the prom, but "it's kind of ridiculous that they can't let her wear the tuxedo and it all be over with."
Presgraves said his organization hears about school districts that prohibit same-sex prom dates and gay-straight alliance clubs at schools. He said those kind of policies are detrimental to gay students.
"It sends a message that these students shouldn't be treated the same," Presgraves said.

Your thoughts??

Julian
Mar 12th, 2010, 05:48 AM
why didnt story show up?? Link here:http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100312/ap_on_re_us/us_lesbian_prom_date

truebluefan
Mar 12th, 2010, 06:11 AM
When I first saw this on the news, I thought to myself, man how times have changed! When I was growing up it was normal for two girls to go to the prom or sock hops or any other school dance! No one thought of them as lesbians. Not in the least! Of course this was many many years ago!

truebluefan
Mar 12th, 2010, 06:12 AM
When I first saw this on the news, I thought to myself, man how times have changed! When I was growing up it was normal for two girls to go to the prom or sock hops or any other school dance! No one thought of them as lesbians. Not in the least! Of course this was many many years ago!

Cosantoir
Mar 12th, 2010, 07:46 AM
This a very sad story.

nikita771
Mar 12th, 2010, 09:47 AM
I think that it sucks that they would cancel the entire prom - just to make a point of not dealing with the issue. It just gives more fuel to the homophobic fire by turning her into the reason the prom was cancelled. Of course, I remember the news just a few years ago when there was an argument about combining the segregated proms that had been the tradition for so many years. When are people going to just live and let live? It may not be your cup of tea, but she is a student at that school - her parents pay the same taxes that the other parents pay - why should she be the only one that can't take her girlfriend? Not sure about the tux thing, but again - doesn't matter? How does a chick in a tux hurt me and my fun?

Super Dave
Mar 12th, 2010, 01:42 PM
What century are we living in?

miffedmax
Mar 12th, 2010, 02:41 PM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100312/ap_on_re_us/us_lesbian_prom_date_28

Now she and the ACLU are suing to make the school hold the prom.

And a huge :yeah: to the hotel owner mentioned in the story.

As far as I'm concerned, the school has no right to deny a student access to a public event. If some students are "bothered" by a same sex couple at a school dance, then THEY can elect to skip it.

My kid's school has had same sex couples attending events together for years and so far the sun has come up every day afterwards.

miffedmax
Mar 12th, 2010, 02:42 PM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100312/ap_on_re_us/us_lesbian_prom_date_28

She's suing to force the school to have a prom. :yeah:

kwilliams
Mar 12th, 2010, 05:02 PM
The school board is behaving pathetically. I hope they get their asses sued yet again! Her fellow students should have nothing but support for her.

miffedmax
Mar 12th, 2010, 10:26 PM
In fact, the youth is at a school party RIGHT NOW where same sex couples are in attendance!

I'd type more about it, but I have to go hose down my house, what with all the fire and brimstone raining down on us.

PlayByPlay
Mar 13th, 2010, 12:29 AM
That is so unfair for the other children. Why does she have to dress up in a tux, there is a time and place for everything. She could have very well dressed up normal and bring her little girlfriend and no one would have made a fuss as someone would have thought its just a friend while others would know its her girlfriend and really wouldn't care, but noooooo. Now the poor kids are going to lose and opportunity of a lifetime because someone selfishly wants to prove a point.

Why did she had to announce it anyways she could have just waited until prom and surprised everybody. It would be too late anyways for them to stop her and the prom.

School is school whatever you want to do outside is your business.

mckyle.
Mar 13th, 2010, 12:31 AM
What the fuck is up with this world? :smash:

Wiggly
Mar 13th, 2010, 12:36 AM
Wait, you have to say how you're going to be dressed and with who you're going before the prom?

She just had to show up on April 2nd.

mykarma
Mar 13th, 2010, 12:53 AM
That is so unfair for the other children. Why does she have to dress up in a tux, there is a time and place for everything. She could have very well dressed up normal and bring her little girlfriend and no one would have made a fuss as someone would have thought its just a friend while others would know its her girlfriend and really wouldn't care, but noooooo. Now the poor kids are going to lose and opportunity of a lifetime because someone selfishly wants to prove a point.

Why did she had to announce it anyways she could have just waited until prom and surprised everybody. It would be too late anyways for them to stop her and the prom.

you're kidding right?

Ziggy Starduck
Mar 13th, 2010, 03:53 AM

Oh I totally agree, she needs to learn to conform :rolleyes: she should hide how she feels and who she cares for to appease other students and parents :rolleyes: I'm not really sure if she's the one who is being selfish here :wavey:

I'd feel sorry for your students TEACHER.

Yorker
Mar 13th, 2010, 04:12 AM
Some schools I tell yah, they judge based on their values without seeing outside of the box that maybe just maybe someone has different ones. Who the fuck cares, it's DANCING, i'm pretty sure the hot stuff happens after prom. This is as bad as the yahoo article I read today where a 6th grade teacher wrote on one of his student's paper that she was a loser.

égalité
Mar 13th, 2010, 04:48 AM

That is so unfair for the other bus passengers. Why does she have to refuse to give up her seat, there is a time and a place for everything. She could have very well sat in the back of the bus and no one would have made a fuss as someone would have thought its just a black person while others would know its a civil rights activist and really wouldn't care, but noooooo. Now the poor passengers are going to be late because someone selfishly wants to prove a point.

Why did she have to announce it anyways she could have just waited until she got off the bus and surprised everybody. It would be too late anyways for them to stop her and the bus.

A segregated bus is a segregated bus whatever you want to do outside is your business.

Daniel K
Mar 13th, 2010, 05:13 AM
That is so unfair for the other bus passengers. Why does she have to refuse to give up her seat, there is a time and a place for everything. She could have very well sat in the back of the bus and no one would have made a fuss as someone would have thought its just a black person while others would know its a civil rights activist and really wouldn't care, but noooooo. Now the poor passengers are going to be late because someone selfishly wants to prove a point.

Why did she have to announce it anyways she could have just waited until she got off the bus and surprised everybody. It would be too late anyways for them to stop her and the bus.

A segregated bus is a segregated bus whatever you want to do outside is your business.

:worship:

oleada
Mar 13th, 2010, 04:55 PM
Constance had to report who she was bringing as her date is a sophomore and the prom is for seniors and juniors. It's common for schools to have students register their dates for security purposes.

I can't believe things like this still happen in this day and age.

Barrie_Dude
Mar 14th, 2010, 10:44 PM
What century are we living in?
The 15th century

skanky~skanketta
Mar 15th, 2010, 08:03 AM
Good on her for fighting this.

Stamp Paid
Mar 15th, 2010, 10:31 AM

A segregated bus is a segregated bus whatever you want to do outside is your business.:yeah::hearts:

Kart
Mar 15th, 2010, 10:35 AM
It's a stupid decision to cancel the prom.

However, I've got no idea what she's expecting to achieve by suing the school. What should really be happening is her fellow students standing up for her.

I'd personally just have finished high school and headed off into the sunset with my hot lesbian girlfriend without looking back.

miffedmax
Mar 15th, 2010, 02:16 PM
If she wins her case, it sets a precedent that will make it very difficult for other schools to pull the same crap on other students.

I could be wrong about this, but even with all the civil rights legislation I seem to remember there being cases of public schools in the US banning interracial dating back in the '80s and perhaps even more recently than that.

I understand that schools have to have some control over who shows up at their events (a kid showing up with a hooker, for example, is not a good thing) but as long as it's high-school kids bringing high-school kids, I don't see what the problem is. But I see why she feels a lawsuit is necessary.

Kart
Mar 15th, 2010, 06:41 PM
^ I take your point but mine was more that it isn't going to change people's attitudes whether she sues or not.

IMHO that is the issue here - the prom would probably still be going ahead if her fellow students / community had stood up for her.

Sean.
Mar 15th, 2010, 07:07 PM
Southside Baptist Church Pastor Bobby Crenshaw said he's seen the South portrayed as "backwards" on Web sites discussing the issue, "but a lot more people here have biblically based values."

:o I hate it when people use The Bible to justify discrimination.

miffedmax
Mar 15th, 2010, 07:29 PM
I hate it when they assume that their interpretation is automatically valid and mine isn't.

Slammer7
Mar 15th, 2010, 09:48 PM
It's a stupid decision to cancel the prom.

However, I've got no idea what she's expecting to achieve by suing the school. What should really be happening is her fellow students standing up for her.

I'd personally just have finished high school and headed off into the sunset with my hot lesbian girlfriend without looking back.

^ I take your point but mine was more that it isn't going to change people's attitudes whether she sues or not.

IMHO that is the issue here - the prom would probably still be going ahead if her fellow students / community had stood up for her.

I understand your point, but I think she is doing it so others in the future will be able to participate in these types of functions. Also, so that schools won't be able to further limit the participation of out GLBT students from social events. Whenever it comes to civil liberties or Civil Rights the dominate culture, race, or sexual orientation is almost NEVER going to side with or support the minority, none the less stand up for them. Now I wouldn't say this is anywhere near the same thing, but when schools were desegregated in the U.S Caucasians didn't support the black children that started attending their children's schools. In fact many vehemently apposed it. It was still the right legal decision. :shrug: Many black parents and students would have been better off just staying in there own communities and living their lives. But they went through the hell of early integration so that it would be easier for future generations. In the end American schools still aren't truly integrated in many places even in my city there are still school that are 95% black and Hispanic when the surrounding community is far far more diverse than that. :( But still it's progress and, it's better than it was more than half a century ago. :shrug: Now this situation isn't anywhere near as serious or important, but maybe if she wins the lawsuit or there is an injunction to allow her to go the district will realize that it's a waist of time and money to try and keep a tiny minority of students from participating. :shrug: