PDA

View Full Version : What would you do if you had 200.000 euro's? (nothing more, nothing less)

DragonFlame
Mar 11th, 2010, 06:02 AM
It's an interesting question because in the modern world this is a reasonably big amount of money for an average person but not enough to sustain a lifetime of luxury with. So here's my economical goeroe coming out of it's shell giving you some stuff to think about.

STEP 1

Startingpoint: You get 200.000 euro's (imagine you got the money out of nothing, lottery for example) You don't have any other money, only this amount.(imagine you were living off your parent until you turned 20 and had to support yourself from then or went broke just before 65)

Question 1. Imagine you're 20 years old how would you spend it, or arrange it so it's usefull in your life?

Question 2. Imagine you're 65 years old going into retirement, what would you do with it?

Possible options to give you something to think about:

-invest? (to make more money)
-save? (against rudely low interest rated due to economic resession, so keeping it for later but gaining nothing:p)
-spend? (on what?)
-fulfill own dreams? (which are?)

Show which parts you would use for what, make a list! (so if you use 10.000 euro's for travelling, 30.000 to save @ bank, 20.000 for education or 150.000 to buy a house or something mention it)

Make a list with all the money placed under something you want to do with it. Try to do it with as much detail as you can.

Money is an interesting thing in the sense that it gives possibilities. It's definetly 1 of the things that shapes a life. This is a thread that gives you a lot of space to think about what you want. Be creative, figure out your hopes/dreams influanced by money and write them down!

STEP 2

Question 3.
Question 4.

Coming at a later date. ;) I will put them there if anyone is interested in a thread like this. We will see :p

A Magicman
Mar 11th, 2010, 07:25 AM
I would buy a thoroughbred mare and would try to breed a superstar. :)

In both cases.

Sam L
Mar 11th, 2010, 07:52 AM
This is simply too broad to answer. But anyway, this is what I would do.

At 20: Attain the best education money can buy and buy own property (to invest and live in future or to live in).

At 65: Self-Managed Superannuation Fund. Don't know if you guys have these in your own countries but in Australia that's what I would do.

---

One interesting thing that you mention is "hopes and dreams". Some of my hopes and dreams I can buy with money or more specifically donations and funding the right causes. But some others like my more creative pursuits, I need "time" rather than "money" so it's very hard to answer with this. But I do see where you're going with it.

kiwifan
Mar 11th, 2010, 07:59 AM
I would buy a thoroughbred mare and would try to breed a superstar. :)

In both cases.

I would "buy" thoroughbred American college football players and would try to make them into Olympic Sevens Gold Medalists. :)

In both cases. :cool:

*I've already done a lot of world travel and have a post graduate level of education...so the practical stuff is covered

Certinfy
Mar 11th, 2010, 09:42 AM
20 years old: Charity.
65 years old: Charity.

miffedmax
Mar 11th, 2010, 12:50 PM
In both cases: Immediately try and figure out how much that is in 'merican dollars.

Kart
Mar 11th, 2010, 01:47 PM
1. I'd use the money to buy a place to live.

2. I'd use the money to pay off my mortgage !

watchdogfish
Mar 11th, 2010, 02:15 PM
1. Put half of it in a high interest bond, put the other half on a deposit for a house (so the mortgage wouldn't be too big).

2. Be relieved I have some retirement money because pensions here are terrible :p. I don't know how I'd spend it, but if there was any left when I died, it would go to charity to stop the family fighting over it :p

Golovinjured.
Mar 11th, 2010, 03:37 PM
1. Exchange it for Australian dollars and re-assess. :)

Cosantoir
Mar 11th, 2010, 04:40 PM
Secure a life-long place to live for myself.
Get a nice modest vehicle to accompany the place.
Invest a percentage of what was left over.
Save a percentage of what was left over.
With any extra money, I would try to visit some of tennis' most popular venues.

gentenaire
Mar 12th, 2010, 08:02 PM
Secure a life-long place to live for myself.
Get a nice modest vehicle to accompany the place.
Invest a percentage of what was left over.
Save a percentage of what was left over.
With any extra money, I would try to visit some of tennis' most popular venues.

May I ask how old you are?
There's no way you can get all of that for only 200.000 euros.

Personally, I'd get a loan so that I'd have enough money to buy a nice property (200.000 euros doesn't get you very far nowadays). Paying off the loan would then amount to the same as paying rent. So no money wasted and it's all your own.

(and actually, I should drop the 'would' as it's not something I would do, but have already done)

Rerun
Mar 13th, 2010, 06:28 PM
I wanna have my own house but i live in Italy and here the price u have to pay to have a decent one in a good place is damn expansive

id need at least 5-600.000 euros to buy a flat in city centre where I live

and then i can say 200000 euros are not enough to reach my dream :lol:

but id save them in bank and keep waiting, maybe one day i will be rich enough :lol:

Fantasy Hero
Mar 15th, 2010, 12:49 PM
with 200.000€ you won't be able to buy a decent house anywhere in italy, if you wanna live in a nice place, so i think i'll have a nice holiday around europe and then save them in a bank untill i have anough money for an house :p

matthias
Mar 15th, 2010, 02:08 PM
get my house finished and then some money for a new car and a vacation

Yasmine
Mar 15th, 2010, 02:17 PM
Invest in a place to live (or in the one I'm living in), no doubt.

Considering that's about the price of a one bedroom flat in one of the cheapest areas of Paris :help:

Wigglytuff
Mar 15th, 2010, 02:37 PM
in both cases i would find out what that means in " 'merican dollars" and then give it to my wife and ask her how much of it can i spend on hermes/lv per month. because i cant be trusted with any kind of money. i would trust her to save/invest/pay bills with the rest.

thalle
Mar 15th, 2010, 10:23 PM
Invest in a place to live (or in the one I'm living in), no doubt.

Considering that's about the price of a one bedroom flat in one of the cheapest areas of Paris :help:

so true, haha.
i once saw an add somewhere for a an "appartment" in lthe triangle d'or area. it cost 135.000 € and it was 8.5 m2!!!
Nice hood tho :p

AleOrtu
Mar 16th, 2010, 07:15 PM
If I was 20 and living with my parents and I get the 200.000, I would get a Visa to enter USA, then I would find a job there and ask my parents to send me the money there to my new adress.

If I was 64, I would buy some Taxis and make they work for me.

As I am 35, I would buy a new house and invest in stocks, perhaps buy a drugstore but then no new house.
But any extra money after buying house or drugstore ---> stocks exchange.

tefo1989
Mar 16th, 2010, 07:18 PM
I buy a taxi for my father.

Danči Dementia
Mar 16th, 2010, 07:42 PM
IŽll pay my university.

Wiggly
Mar 16th, 2010, 08:07 PM
That would be 300 000$ Canadian dollars.

I would have a month-long trip and save/invest the rest.
You can't do much with that...

abercrombieguy23
Mar 16th, 2010, 08:34 PM
$300 k Canadian....
$250 on property (which would get you nothing in Toronto, a small bachelor probably so I would probably mortgage another 50 k)
$20 k on vacations
$30 k fixed investment
65: id get the full out demi moore plastic surgery treatment

slamchamp
Mar 16th, 2010, 08:47 PM
It's an interesting question because in the modern world this is a reasonably big amount of money for an average person but not enough to sustain a lifetime of luxury with. So here's my economical goeroe coming out of it's shell giving you some stuff to think about.

STEP 1

Startingpoint: You get 200.000 euro's (imagine you got the money out of nothing, lottery for example) You don't have any other money, only this amount.(imagine you were living off your parent until you turned 20 and had to support yourself from then or went broke just before 65)

Question 1. Imagine you're 20 years old how would you spend it, or arrange it so it's usefull in your life?

Question 2. Imagine you're 65 years old going into retirement, what would you do with it?

Possible options to give you something to think about:

-invest? (to make more money)
-save? (against rudely low interest rated due to economic resession, so keeping it for later but gaining nothing:p)
-spend? (on what?)
-fulfill own dreams? (which are?)

Show which parts you would use for what, make a list! (so if you use 10.000 euro's for travelling, 30.000 to save @ bank, 20.000 for education or 150.000 to buy a house or something mention it)

Make a list with all the money placed under something you want to do with it. Try to do it with as much detail as you can.

Money is an interesting thing in the sense that it gives possibilities. It's definetly 1 of the things that shapes a life. This is a thread that gives you a lot of space to think about what you want. Be creative, figure out your hopes/dreams influanced by money and write them down!

STEP 2

Question 3.
Question 4.

Coming at a later date. ;) I will put them there if anyone is interested in a thread like this. We will see :p
I am 20 and I have no idea what would I do..I'd probably put it in the bank to generate interests..and then I would think what to do.

If I was 60..I'd travel:drool: