PDA

View Full Version : Oh goodness me! smoker awarded $28 billion !

Jay
Oct 4th, 2002, 07:38 PM
LOS ANGELES (KFWB/AP) 10.04.02, 11:10a -- A Los Angeles Superior Court jury awarded $28 billion today to Betty Bullock, 64, of Newport Beach, who started smoking when she was 17 and was diagnosed last year with lung cancer that has since spread to her liver. Last month, the jury ordered the tobacco company (Philip Morris Inc, the makers of Marlboro) to pay Bullock $750,000 in economic damages and $100,000 for pain and suffering.

It's bound to be reversed on appeal though, there's too much money at stake.

$28 billion is more than the total revenue of Phillip Morris inc.

Poe
Oct 4th, 2002, 07:40 PM
that is sooooooo hillarious...

just like the fat people who are suing mcdonalds...... take some responsibility for the stupid things you do in life instead of blaiming others and ending up with a hefty reward for being a dumbass

Keith
Oct 4th, 2002, 07:43 PM
Did you really have to use the F word in the title?

The suing is good, maybe it will make the tobacco companies stop selling highly addictive and deadly products!

Jetta
Oct 4th, 2002, 07:44 PM
1 person awarded 28 billion? And it really isn't the tobacco company's fault that she started smoking? pffffffff :rolleyes:

Poe
Oct 4th, 2002, 07:49 PM
Originally posted by Bagel Stud
humm... i wonder what Betty will do with all that money

probably buy more cigarettes

Keith
Oct 4th, 2002, 07:50 PM
A judge would not order them to pay that kind of money if they did not have it. Philip MOrris and RJ Reynold paid like 3 trillion dollars in fines this year, and that has hardly impacted them finanically. Granted, it was the woman's fault for smoking, but the big companies need to stop producing!

wongqks
Oct 4th, 2002, 07:51 PM
the sad thing is that the 28 billion will never be used by her, coz she will die beause of cancer soon

JonBcn
Come on, when she was 17 cigarettes were not just being promoted as trendy, but HEALTHY! There was a lot of disinformation about their effects, when tobacco companies knew damn well what the carcinogenic (and other) side effects would be.

Jetta
If she's smart, she'll somehow get a new lung. :o

Jay
Originally posted by Poe

probably buy more cigarettes

LMAO !

Poe
maybe she can find one on ebay :o

irma
Oct 4th, 2002, 07:53 PM
I serious don't understand why people smoke since it looks so incredible dirty and such a thing out of your mouth looks stupid too (jmho) but this is ridicilous.
everybody knows that smoking is unhealty even when nobody told you so it's you own responsability when you like to have black longs. you can't blame the industry that they go into people's stupidity :rolleyes:

Jetta
Oct 4th, 2002, 07:54 PM
Ebay might have it.......they sell the weirdest shits sometimes. :o

JonBcn
Oct 4th, 2002, 07:57 PM
Originally posted by irma
I serious don't understand why people smoke since it looks so incredible dirty and such a thing out of your mouth looks stupid too (jmho) but this is ridicilous.
everybody knows that smoking is unhealty even when nobody told you so it's you own responsability when you like to have black longs. you can't blame the industry that they go into people's stupidity :rolleyes:

Thats not fair. In the 50s and 60s, people were convinced by tobacco companies it was good for them, and they were hooked years before information was made public to the contrary.

irma
Oct 4th, 2002, 07:58 PM
was is serious told that it was healty?
I thought the commercials was more about how cool it was(the famous marbello(?) cowboy)

Jay
Oct 4th, 2002, 07:59 PM
Originally posted by Jenny fan
Did you really have to use the F word in the title?

sorted :)

Poe
Oct 4th, 2002, 08:00 PM
well that would have been an excuse back then.... but most of these people continued to smoke LONG after the public was aware of the health risks... including Betty

Josh
What a ridiculous case!

This woman should be ashamed of herself. Basically she's just saying that she's a brainless robot who does everything that she's told to do :rolleyes:. I'm sorry lady, but even the dumbest idiot should have known that inhaling smoke was not exactly life-enhancing even before we had all this scientific research.
People should stop blaming others for their own stupidity and act like they are some kind of spineless creature. Tobacco companies certainly are not innocent but the only thing I see in this case is shared responsability.

Betty should give the money away to cancer research to show she isn't money-grubber. :rolleyes:

JonBcn
Honestly! I saw a documentary about it a few weeks ago, and couldnt believe some of the stuff I heard! ;)

I do agree with what you're all saying, as it happens, but I'm not gonna criticise someone for not being able to give up an ADDICTION, as I've never smoked and never will, so I cant comprehend having to battle an addiction...

irma
Oct 4th, 2002, 08:02 PM
I for sure will sue the lu for their cheesecookies now. nobody told me it is unhealty and my tummy is one fat bubble now:p

gentenaire
Oct 4th, 2002, 08:07 PM
It's the court jury who's stupid! You can't blame the woman for trying, she's got $28 now so you can't call her stupid.

There should be a law called 'common sense', forbidding people from sueing against things every child knows!

Poe
Oct 4th, 2002, 08:07 PM
and i'm suing Pepsi for my insomnia :(

gentenaire
Oct 4th, 2002, 08:08 PM
I was about to suggest the same, poe, but replace Pepsi by Coke. I'm willing to settle for a life-long supply of Coke :angel:

JonBcn
Oct 4th, 2002, 08:23 PM
What you're all failing to appreciate is that these people grew up being told that these things were good for them. As preposterous as it sounds to us now, thats how it was. When information to the contrary was finally made public, they were addicts. Tricked into addiction if you like. Yeah, $28bn is a ridiculous figure, but the tobacco conglomerates need to be made accountable for all the terrible damage they have done. Save your :rolleyes: for those bastards, who have lied, cheated, bullied and purjored for decades to line their own pockets.

VSFan1 aka Joshua L.
Oct 4th, 2002, 08:26 PM
Actually, she seems pretty smart to me.....I wish I had the knowledge to win a $28 billion lawsuit. ;)

Josh
Oct 4th, 2002, 08:27 PM
I'm sorry Jon but I don't buy that. Shared responsability, yes...cause those companies did influence people but every idiot knows that inhaling smoke is not exactly the same as a glass of fresh orange juice.

Tobacco companies = bastards ---> I agree though

King Satan
Oct 4th, 2002, 08:31 PM
Hell yeah!, now I know who to rob

Poe
Oct 4th, 2002, 08:32 PM
oh come on..... if they were struggling every day trying so hard to quit and failing then fine... i've lived with smokers my whole life and it's a half-assed attitude of "oh i really should quit" .. or "i plan to this summer" .. or "oh please i'm breathing in more pollution from the factories than my cigarettes"

tell a smoker they should quit and see the reaction you get.. they'll tell you to mind your own damn business :D they are too lazy to quit... and for those who really did try and failed it's their responsibility to get help knowing full well each puff is contributing to an early demise :p

VSFan1 aka Joshua L.
Oct 4th, 2002, 08:35 PM
Just as we know each Big Mac is contributing to our early demise...

Just as we know each Coke is contributing to our early demise.....

Just as we know each hit of X is contributing to our early demise.....

;) Sorry Poe, but you gotta live a little! Altho, I do agree....suing a Cig company is quite ridiculous when you get down to the basics.

irma
Oct 4th, 2002, 08:36 PM
they showed a lung from people who smoked every day in a healty programm a few weeks ago.
I can tell you, it was not a pretty sight :o

Poe
Oct 4th, 2002, 08:38 PM
Originally posted by VSFan1 aka Joshua L.
Just as we know each Big Mac is contributing to our early demise...

Just as we know each Coke is contributing to our early demise.....

Just as we know each hit of X is contributing to our early demise.....

;) Sorry Poe, but you gotta live a little! Altho, I do agree....suing a Cig company is quite ridiculous when you get down to the basics.

well that's exactly my point... if i know coke is killing me and i choose to keep drinking it that's fine until i turn around and sue the company for it

i'm only arguing because she's trying to punish and blaim somebody else for her mistake

JonBcn
Oct 4th, 2002, 08:39 PM
Like I said...I dont know what it is to be an addict (well, except chocolate), but I'm not gonna criticise someone for being unable to kick a chemical dependency just because I have no concept of what that is like.

I agree that the responsibilty shuld be held jointly by the individual and the tobacco company, but the wider implication of this court case is that tobacco companies need to made accountable for the lies they told that got people hooked on their product half a century ago. They even lied in court, in the first trials, about what they knew. Surely you dont think it should be forgotten?

irma
Oct 4th, 2002, 08:42 PM
I was addicted by watching steffi. I am diagnosted of that officially :o
maybe I can sue her too :o

;)

irma
Oct 4th, 2002, 08:43 PM
I am gonna be rich!

Maajken
Oct 4th, 2002, 08:55 PM
LOL this is preposterous. I bet she claimed the cig company stuffed it down her throat when she was 17 :rolleyes: :D

JonBcn
Oct 4th, 2002, 09:19 PM
Let me ask you something. If a drug dealer sells someone a dodgy E, and it kills them, should they take some of the blame, or is it all the fault of the idiot that buys the E?

If someone with a but allergy buys a cake that contains traces of peanuts which kills them (this happens!), is it the consumers fault, or the manufacturers?

Then, if the manufacturer has a duty to inform the consumer of the effects of its product, and they fail to do that, why shouldnt they be open to criticism?

Double Fault
Oct 4th, 2002, 09:39 PM
Betty should give that money to cancer research before the court gets a chance to reduce it. At least something good will come out of this debacle.

MartianJoeyWinson
Oct 4th, 2002, 10:22 PM
That's the perfect plan... become alcoholic, sue Carlsberg for X Billion quid, go on AA courses and detox... then wean myself back onto it, then all the lager... all the Carlsberg Export in the world, will be mine! MINE! (This plan is Copyrighted to Joe Winson 2002)

CanadianBoy21
Oct 5th, 2002, 12:35 AM
I wouldn't give her a cent!
What has this world come to...not even the right can be claimed in the court! It is her choice for smoking, nobody took the cig and lid it and stuffed it in her mouth so she has to smoke, it's HER choice. So what if it was said to be healthy 50 years ago? Is it the companies fault that the government or whoever didn't prove them wrong. The women took wild shot knowing she won't win but took a chance anyways and currently has 28$B!

MartianJoeyWinson
Oct 5th, 2002, 01:39 AM
Hold on, I could technically get compensation for a hangover!

The Vampiress
Oct 5th, 2002, 01:43 AM
I don't like what she did, it's simple, she knew the consequences before she started smoking, Now I don't give a rats ass about when it was all advertised and was shown to make sexy etc, there was warnings about it way way way before she even started, and even stronger warnings now day, I just can't wait to see a whole bunch of people now queing up to their lawers now asking for compensation.

Well what would I do with that money If I was a dying smoker? Give it to the cancer research foundation.

Kiwi_Boy
Oct 5th, 2002, 01:45 AM
with money like that being awarded,its probably gonna encourage more people to take up smoking!:rolleyes:

Fingon
Oct 5th, 2002, 02:27 AM
this is a consequence of the riduculous american justice system.

People are encouraged by greedy lawyers to suit over everything.

there was a case of a rapist that hid in the cold to avoid being caught, he lost some toes because of that and he sued the police because they didn't catch him soon enough:rolleyes:

What this ridiculous case will do is to dump all the legal actions against tobacco companies as it's clear it's only a circus.

what can you think of a judge that does that? I think he/she should be kicked out immediately because of idiocy.

Kiwi_Boy
Oct 5th, 2002, 02:32 AM
the american justice system is so damn petty:rolleyes: ,just watch judge judy and that:rolleyes: ,you can be sued for anything:o (i think its capatalism/greed gone too far:rolleyes: )