PDA

View Full Version : After listening to Mo'nique's speech last night...

RenaGOAT
Mar 8th, 2010, 10:42 PM
... I found myself wondering if Mo'nique has ever heard of Jennifer Hudson...

kwilliams
Mar 8th, 2010, 11:21 PM
Why?

Mrs. Berasetegui
Mar 8th, 2010, 11:26 PM
I liked Monique's speech. It was short. :woohoo: I wish everybody was like her but they weren't. :(

RenaGOAT
Mar 8th, 2010, 11:45 PM
When Mo'nique thanked the academy for "proving that it was about performance and not politics", it was very classless... like saying if any other actress had won the award, it would have been because of hollywood politics and not because the other actress had an Oscar-worthy performance... and that would even be excusable if somebody in nearly the exact same position as Mo'nique (hollywood career-wise) hadn't won that exact same award 2 years ago...

KournikovaFan91
Mar 8th, 2010, 11:46 PM
I agree, it seemed she had a chip on her shoulder about something.

Mrs. Berasetegui
Mar 8th, 2010, 11:51 PM
When Mo'nique thanked the academy for "proving that it was about performance and not politics", it was very classless... like saying if any other actress had won the award, it would have been because of hollywood politics and not because the other actress had an Oscar-worthy performance... and that would even be excusable if somebody in nearly the exact same position as Mo'nique (hollywood career-wise) hadn't won that exact same award 2 years ago...

That wasn't what that comment was about. It was talked about on a lot of blogs (I think I read it on Huffington). What she was referring to was that some industry people criticized her for not playing the Oscar game. She didn't go to a lot of events before the Oscars and didn't even show up to pick up some awards because she was busy working and didn't want to disrupt her schedule. She knows the voters could've held it against her but they didn't and still gave her the Oscar. It was cool that she was honest and like I said her speech was SHORT. :woohoo:

Midnight_Robber
Mar 9th, 2010, 12:05 AM
Haven't seen "Precious" and haven't heard her acceptance speech, but I do remember stumbling across internet threads where she was drawing a great deal of criticism for not attending award shows, not appearing at premiers and screenings, or seizing opportunities to promote the film prior to the Oscars. According to some at least, she didn't 'campaign' properly for the film and she was notably absent from view while other contenders were putting themselves out there and duly smiling for the camera with all of the usual jockeying for exposure and position. When questioned about it she said that she wasn't going to campaign for the film and that she was just going to allow her performance to speak for itself either way. Some felt that this was arrogant and stupid of her. I thought her approach was refreshing and it was nice to see someone not being desperate for change.

So her reference to politics *may* have been in reference to the criticism that she received for "not playing the game properly" - and yet apparently, she still won anyway. (Admittedly, I didn't even know that she had won until I read this thread...)

ETA: Well - Mrs Beratsetegui beat me to it. But yeah - that's pretty much it I suspect.

kwilliams
Mar 9th, 2010, 12:14 AM
I don't think people in the industry or studios should lobby for votes. It should be about the quality of the work, not how much someone can talk up that work.

I don't think she was saying that other African Americans had won that category because of politics because she thanked Hattie McDaniel at the beginning of her speech. I think she is famous for being the first African American to win an oscar of any kind but she has also always been regarded as a very worthy winner.

Midnight_Robber
Mar 9th, 2010, 12:34 AM
^ Exactly. Couldn't agree more, and it's one of the reasons why I just completely tune out of the "Oscar" season. Too much ingratiating mugging and greasing up to the Academy etc.

And if she referred to Hattie McDaniel who is the first black woman to win an Oscar - not Jennifer Hudson - then clearly she's not putting down previous winners as she's currently being criticised before. Both before and after the Oscars, the woman has drawn a great deal of unwarranted criticism. (And I'm not even sure *why* Jennifer Hudson was bought up in the first place.) It also figures that when somebody finally delivers a short, sweet speech that may have been dignified for a change - that's the night that I'm not watching. :rolleyes::lol:

young_gunner913
Mar 9th, 2010, 12:34 AM

youre making a mountain out of a mole hill.

she wasnt saying if some other actress had won, it was about politics. she was happy that precious did well because if you'll recall, the color purple was nominated for 11 oscars but there was a uproar about how it depicted black men and it was robbed lost every catergory it was nominated for. since the color purple, no movie with an african american actress as the lead had been nominated for best picture. so she was proud that the movie was successful and was acknowledged for an award besides her own.

Mrs. Berasetegui
Mar 9th, 2010, 12:37 AM
I don't think people in the industry or studios should lobby for votes. It should be about the quality of the work, not how much someone can talk up that work.

I don't think she was saying that other African Americans had won that category because of politics because she thanked Hattie McDaniel at the beginning of her speech. I think she is famous for being the first African American to win an oscar of any kind but she has also always been regarded as a very worthy winner.

I didn't get that from Monique's speech. She was just talking about herself and what she decided to do about going to all those Oscar things. Now if you guys wanna talk about race and the Oscars look at this from AOL:

http://insidetv.aol.com/2010/03/08/vanessa-williams-bashes-the-blind-side-on-the-view-video/

I wish I could see the whole thing just to see if Vanessa Williams and Barbara Walters get into it or not. :lol:

RenaGOAT
Mar 9th, 2010, 12:49 AM
You guys are probably right about most of that... still, if I'm one of the other actresses that was up for the award, I would certainly wonder that if I had won, if Mo'nique would be feeling that it was because of the politics (whatever her view of that is) and not because I had delivered an Oscar-worthy performance... maybe the intent of her speech wasn't classless, but the way she worded it needs help.

M2k
Mar 9th, 2010, 01:55 AM
http://insidetv.aol.com/2010/03/08/vanessa-williams-bashes-the-blind-side-on-the-view-video/
I wish I could see the whole thing just to see if Vanessa Williams and Barbara Walters get into it or not. :lol:

I felt the same way after watching the movie, don't get me wrong I'm thrilled Sandra won the Oscar :rocker2:

Midnight_Robber
Mar 9th, 2010, 02:05 AM
Ugh. Shut up Barbara Walters. So annoying to watch her interrupt and then silence Vanessa Williams and even castigate her as if she's a little child. Especially when Williams (who isn't living in some fool's paradise or happy-happy post-racial fantasy land) actually knows what she's talking about. She didn't put down or attack the quality of Bullock's performance but questioned the incredible tired, cliched premise behind the story - a premised that Hollywood is so addicted to. :rolleyes:

égalité
Mar 9th, 2010, 04:24 AM
If she was insinuating that she was more deserving of the award than any of the other nominees, she was probably right.

I mean, it's not like she ran up on stage and grabbed the microphone out of Sandra Bullock's hands and said, "I'll let you finish, but Gabby Sidibe had one of the best performances of ALL TIME." :spit:

I didn't see anything wrong with her speech.

Serenita
Mar 9th, 2010, 05:34 AM
her speech was good.

WowWow
Mar 9th, 2010, 05:35 AM
The irony of it all is that it WAS about politics.

duhcity
Mar 9th, 2010, 05:37 AM
Everyone's been bitching about her not promoting the film. She didn't show up to film festivals early last year too, before she was even nominated for an Oscar or the film received Oscar Buzz.

Infiniti2001
Mar 9th, 2010, 06:03 AM

In her own words :shrug:
qX8A-iKuQ4I

Sam L
Mar 9th, 2010, 09:20 AM
She was talking about some media's attempt to smear her. There were articles stating that she would only attend awards shows and campaign if she was paid. This was later proven to be false. Plus, she said that she didn't need to campaign because her performance was her "campaign". And she spoke the truth. If your performance was truly good there would be no need to "campaign".

I thought her speech was one of the best of the night. And her performance, certainly the best of the year - not just for supporting actresses, but for all actors.

young_gunner913
Mar 9th, 2010, 10:57 AM
She was talking about some media's attempt to smear her. There were articles stating that she would only attend awards shows and campaign if she was paid. This was later proven to be false. Plus, she said that she didn't need to campaign because her performance was her "campaign". And she spoke the truth. If your performance was truly good there would be no need to "campaign".

I thought her speech was one of the best of the night. And her performance, certainly the best of the year - not just for supporting actresses, but for all actors.

her golden globe acceptance speech was much better. 95% of the oscar speeches sucked ass. i thought oprah's speech about gabby was the best.

wateva
Mar 9th, 2010, 11:13 AM
please... jennifer hudson winning was ALL about the politics... if jhud didn't sing at all in the movie, adriana barraza would have kicked her big ass that evening! :ras:

BuTtErFrEnA
Mar 9th, 2010, 11:40 AM
Haven't seen "Precious" and haven't heard her acceptance speech, but I do remember stumbling across internet threads where she was drawing a great deal of criticism for not attending award shows, not appearing at premiers and screenings, or seizing opportunities to promote the film prior to the Oscars. According to some at least, she didn't 'campaign' properly for the film and she was notably absent from view while other contenders were putting themselves out there and duly smiling for the camera with all of the usual jockeying for exposure and position. When questioned about it she said that she wasn't going to campaign for the film and that she was just going to allow her performance to speak for itself either way. Some felt that this was arrogant and stupid of her. I thought her approach was refreshing and it was nice to see someone not being desperate for change.

So her reference to politics *may* have been in reference to the criticism that she received for "not playing the game properly" - and yet apparently, she still won anyway. (Admittedly, I didn't even know that she had won until I read this thread...)

ETA: Well - Mrs Beratsetegui beat me to it. But yeah - that's pretty much it I suspect.

don't know what all the hoopla is about when this is what it comes down to...

Lachrymarum
Mar 9th, 2010, 12:46 PM
This is the reason why I don't watch these stupid awards shows.

Wigglytuff
Mar 9th, 2010, 01:15 PM

:lol: :lol:

dude that is NOT what monique was talking about... i dont think you know what she was talking about, i hope someone explains it to you, or you google it. :)

kiwifan
Mar 9th, 2010, 02:27 PM
That wasn't what that comment was about. It was talked about on a lot of blogs (I think I read it on Huffington). What she was referring to was that some industry people criticized her for not playing the Oscar game. She didn't go to a lot of events before the Oscars and didn't even show up to pick up some awards because she was busy working and didn't want to disrupt her schedule. She knows the voters could've held it against her but they didn't and still gave her the Oscar. It was cool that she was honest and like I said her speech was SHORT. :woohoo:

Exactly, it got to the point where people were making up negative quotes and attributing them to her (about her not caring about getting an Oscar) all because she didn't want to kiss the media's ass and beg for her Oscar.

Oscars are usually about politics; whole campaigns both positive and negative are launched by almost every studio.

Good for her that she got it on her own terms. :angel: