PDA

View Full Version : Disney’s ‘Alice in Wonderland’ Makes $116 Million in Biggest Non Summer Opener Ever

CrossCourt~Rally
Mar 7th, 2010, 06:33 PM
http://www.eonline.com/uberblog/b170534_alice_in_blockbuster_land.html?utm_source= eonline&utm_medium=rssfeeds&utm_campaign=imdb_tv-movies

"It was bonkers."

That's how a Disney exec today described Alice in Wonderland's estimated $116.3 million weekend box-office debut.

Tim Burton's and Johnny Depp's 3D party blew away big expectations, sucked the life (and screens) from Avatar, and became Hollywood's first $100 million-plus opener outside of the summer and holiday seasons. As Disney's Chuck Viane said, borrowing an adjective from his studio's film, "bonkers." More results:

• Alice made $41 million on Friday, and $44.3 million on Saturday. It's expected to make do with $31 million today, provided the Oscars doesn't keep too many people at home.

• Worldwide, the reportedly $200 million movie made $210 million overall.

• The film is easily the biggest of Burton's pretty-big box-office career. His previous opening-weekend best was $68.5 million for 2001's Planet of the Apes.

• The film is the second-biggest of Depp's even-bigger box-office career. Only the first Pirates of the Caribbean sequel, Dead Man's Chest, bowed with more money ($135.6 million).

• Alice was a record draw in IMAX, as you might've guessed if you got aced out of a sold-out weekend screening. The company reports the movie made $11.9 million alone from its theaters.

• In its 12th weekend, Avatar lost nearly 300 theaters (most to Alice), and slipped to fifth place with its "weakest" Friday-Sunday gross yet: $7.7 million. James Cameron was believed to be holding up just fine what with the Oscars tonight, and $720 million now in the domestic bank.

• In the unlikely event Jeff Bridges doesn't win Best Actor tonight, his Crazy Heart's still a winner. Prior to the Oscar noms, the $7 million drama had grossed $6.8 million. Now it's grossed nearly $30 million.

• Sandra Bullock's The Blind Side didn't get an Oscar bounce, but the film didn't quit. After picking up another $1.3 million this weekend, it has cracked $250 million domestically.

• In second place, Brooklyn's Finest ran about $102 million behind Alice in Wonderland, but, considering its budget, didn't get killed. The $17 million cop drama pulled in a solid $13.5 million.

• The $48 million The Tooth Fairy fell from the Top 10, but not before Dwayne Johnson willed the family comedy to a respectable six-weekend run, and a nearly $90 million worldwide take, per Box Office Mojo stats.

• The $150 million Wolfman just didn't have it. It's gone from the Top 10 after just three weekends, and $60.4 million. Worldwide, it's still looking toothless at about $127 million overall.

CrossCourt~Rally
Mar 7th, 2010, 06:36 PM
Here's a complete rundown of the weekend's top-grossing films from Friday-Sunday, per estimates compiled by Exhibitor Relations:

1-Alice in Wonderland, $116.3 million
2-Brooklyn's Finest, $13.5 million
3-Shutter Island, $13.3 million
4-Cop Out, $9.1 million
5-Avatar, $7.7 million
6-The Crazies, $7 million
7-Percy Jackson & The Olympians: The Lightning Thief, $5.1 million
8-Valentine's Day, $4.3 million
9-Crazy Heart, $3.4 million
10-Dear John, $2.9 million

Drake1980
Mar 7th, 2010, 06:52 PM
WTF! :eek: :o

Daniel
Mar 7th, 2010, 06:57 PM
Wowwww!!!!

Certinfy
Mar 7th, 2010, 07:00 PM
Fucking unreal :eek: But good :yeah:

Wannabeknowitall
Mar 7th, 2010, 08:02 PM
http://uploadingit.com/file/ze310mnnhhz0xtxr/seaussie1.gif

AJZ.
Mar 7th, 2010, 08:54 PM
Wow :eek: Not surprised though. Everyone was talking about it!

Vanity Bonfire
Mar 7th, 2010, 08:55 PM
It's very good.

doni1212
Mar 8th, 2010, 12:00 AM
They CRUSHED the competition!!!

Lolly-PoP
Mar 8th, 2010, 12:20 AM
It deserve, really good film.;)

BuTtErFrEnA
Mar 8th, 2010, 12:24 AM
i really want to go watch it! hopefully it's better than that blue mess of a movie :o

Direwolf
Mar 8th, 2010, 12:26 AM
well... its Johnny Depp, Helena Bonham Carter and Anne Hathaway...

doni1212
Mar 8th, 2010, 12:40 AM
i really want to go watch it! hopefully it's better than that blue mess of a movie :o

What?! You didn't like Avatar, Kimmy?

NyCPsU
Mar 8th, 2010, 12:56 AM
I just saw it. It was terrible imo. Johnny Depp as the Mad Hatter was good at times but just way to weird at times where everyone was just like what just happened? The 3-d was no where even as well done as Avatar. Seeing this makes me appreciate how well done Avatar really was. The 3-d in this movie looked so fake at times and half the time you couldn't even make out what it was. The storyline was pretty dumb too, oh well it had its moments but was definitely not worth the 18 dollars I payed to see it.

And the sales are inflated because it is a 3-d movie, ticket prices are higher than usual.

miffedmax
Mar 8th, 2010, 01:20 AM
I'm torn. I kind of want to see it, but from the reviews I suspect I will violently hate it.

The script sounds like absolute shite.

Alice's ADVENTURES in Wonderland and Through the Looking Glass and What Alice Found There are two of my all-time favorite books, so jacking with them is not something I will take lightly. Peter Jackson pulled it off with the Rings trilogy, but it doesn't sound like Burton did with this one.

Julian.
Mar 8th, 2010, 02:57 AM
Nobody tops Avatar in 3D department.

venus_rulez
Mar 8th, 2010, 06:44 AM
I was a bit underwhelmed by it to be honest. It was alright and it was good mindless entertainment, but nothing particularly special about, though Helena Bohnam-Carter was very good.

Dementieva_Dude
Mar 8th, 2010, 11:35 AM
I was a bit underwhelmed by it to be honest. It was alright and it was good mindless entertainment, but nothing particularly special about, though Helena Bohnam-Carter was very good.

That's how I felt about it. I saw it on Friday night, and although it was entertaining, it wasn't great. There's a STUPID dance segment at the end that pretty much ruined the movie for me.

I'm guessing there will be sequels to this...and I'll probably watch them for the mindless entertainment value.

NyCPsU
Mar 8th, 2010, 01:17 PM
YESS, the dance was so freaking lame. Any chance of me leaving with a positive impression was killed by that segment. So uncharacteristic of the entire movie, completely out of element. Ugh, I didnt even want to go see this but was dragged to it, so its not even like I had high expectations going in. It was just flat out awful for me. :(

miffedmax
Mar 8th, 2010, 03:02 PM
I automatically have issues when somebody can't tell the Red Queen and the Queen of Hearts apart. But I suppose that's the literary snob in me.

Plus, if the Mad Hatter and the March Hare exist in Looking Glass World (where the Red and White Queen live, not Wonderland, let alone Underland) they exist as their Looking Glass world incarnations, Hatta and Haigha. Only Alice, The Mad Hatter/Hatta and the March Hare/Haigha exists in both worlds.

Barrie_Dude
Mar 8th, 2010, 06:33 PM
I love the Tim Burton/Johnny Depp pairings