PDA

View Full Version : Tips on getting rid of thunder thighs!!!

Living_Legend
Mar 5th, 2010, 04:19 PM
Seeing as this is a sports related message board I figured I must be able to get some help from here.

Basically I joined a gym a while ago because I fancied this guy that went there, and I've been using the treadmill and stuff, and going on runs with him 3 times a week but now my thighs are huge and disgusting...and I don' have a clue on what I should do.

Literally, they're gross, but not like fat gross just chunky, I'm really self concious when I wear skirts and even black tights make them look worse (and I thought black was slimming)...they used to be tiny and dainty and now they're really depressing me.

I've always played tennis since I was little but that was never a problem, and now with the weather picking up I'm going to be expected back at the tennis club and when that happens I'm worried they'll balloon to epic proportions.

Any advice is majorly welcomed.

p.s. I don't really want to give up gym/jogging cos he kinda thinks I'm really into sports and fitness.

barboza
Mar 5th, 2010, 04:23 PM
Talk to Alisa kleybanova

abercrombieguy23
Mar 5th, 2010, 04:29 PM
If you are referring to fat you can not spot reduce specific parts of your body you need to reduce all over.
To remove the fat try overall weight training to raise basal metabolic rate and intense cardio (interval works wonders). Diet is huge. If you want further diet info pm me
To tone the actual thigh try pilates, yoga, circuit machines, cardio kick box

BuTtErFrEnA
Mar 5th, 2010, 04:30 PM
you do know the more you do exercise that works your legs, the more developed your muscles become :unsure:

miffedmax
Mar 5th, 2010, 04:37 PM
Adopt Elena Dementieva and her scrumptious thighs as your role model.

Living_Legend
Mar 5th, 2010, 04:38 PM
If you are referring to fat you can not spot reduce specific parts of your body you need to reduce all over.
To remove the fat try overall weight training to raise basal metabolic rate and intense cardio (interval works wonders). Diet is huge. If you want further diet info pm me
To tone the actual thigh try pilates, yoga, circuit machines, cardio kick box

They're not fat, they're like getting muscular and out of proportion with the rest of my body, which is slim.

you do know the more you do exercise that works your legs, the more developed your muscles become :unsure:

I know that's where I'm stuck, I have no clue what to do!!!

King Halep
Mar 5th, 2010, 04:42 PM
Stop doing weight bearing exercise like treadmill. Get on the exercise bike and pedal slowly. Good thing about exercise bike is you can read a magazine or talk on phone while pretending to exercise.

NyCPsU
Mar 5th, 2010, 05:06 PM
The person You are pretending to be is a mess. :sobbing:

woosey
Mar 5th, 2010, 05:23 PM
Seeing as this is a sports related message board I figured I must be able to get some help from here.

Basically I joined a gym a while ago because I fancied this guy that went there, and I've been using the treadmill and stuff, and going on runs with him 3 times a week but now my thighs are huge and disgusting...and I don' have a clue on what I should do.

Literally, they're gross, but not like fat gross just chunky, I'm really self concious when I wear skirts and even black tights make them look worse (and I thought black was slimming)...they used to be tiny and dainty and now they're really depressing me.

I've always played tennis since I was little but that was never a problem, and now with the weather picking up I'm going to be expected back at the tennis club and when that happens I'm worried they'll balloon to epic proportions.

p.s. I don't really want to give up gym/jogging cos he kinda thinks I'm really into sports and fitness.

i just finished training for a marathon that will be run in the mountains. i had to run lots of hills. hill work builds up the quads and glutes - as a result mine got a bit bigger and i don't really fit a pair of my jeans anymore.

at first it bothered me but it doesn't anymore.

my butt is higher and firmer, which to me is good. flat as ain't good in my culture.

my thighs are just more shapely - and muscular which i really don't mind either.

you can try ashtanga or power yoga - a 45-60 minute session 3-4x a week. yoga slims you out a bit. pilates is supposed to be good for this too. i mainly run and do yoga.

also, men who work out tend to appreciate women (i assume you are) whose bodies look as if they've been in the gym. so, i don't think it'll be turnoff to the guy you're trying to get with - they know what working out does to your ass and thighs.

Dominic
Mar 5th, 2010, 06:01 PM

Hmm I really dont want to insult you but I think some of it is in your head since Cardiovascular work doesnt make muscles bigger. And even if you do strenght training and if you dont eat a surplux of calories, you will not get any bigger from anywhere. Your legs are probably just a bit firmer which is a good thing.

Slutati
Mar 5th, 2010, 06:09 PM
The person You are pretending to be is a mess. :sobbing:
IKR. :lol:

Too hilarious. Never change, Living Legend. Never! :sobbing:

delicatecutter
Mar 5th, 2010, 06:25 PM
Living Legend is the best!! :hysteric:

Living_Legend
Mar 5th, 2010, 06:33 PM
Stop doing weight bearing exercise like treadmill. Get on the exercise bike and pedal slowly. Good thing about exercise bike is you can read a magazine or talk on phone while pretending to exercise.

Thanks, I always avoided the bikes because I thought they would give you thunder thighs, I might switch then!!!

i just finished training for a marathon that will be run in the mountains. i had to run lots of hills. hill work builds up the quads and glutes - as a result mine got a bit bigger and i don't really fit a pair of my jeans anymore.

at first it bothered me but it doesn't anymore.

my butt is higher and firmer, which to me is good. flat as ain't good in my culture.

my thighs are just more shapely - and muscular which i really don't mind either.

you can try ashtanga or power yoga - a 45-60 minute session 3-4x a week. yoga slims you out a bit. pilates is supposed to be good for this too. i mainly run and do yoga.

also, men who work out tend to appreciate women (i assume you are) whose bodies look as if they've been in the gym. so, i don't think it'll be turnoff to the guy you're trying to get with - they know what working out does to your ass and thighs.

I went to a yoga class once but with a friend and we didn't take it seriously...I really want to get into to it though to help with my stress and anxiety levels!!!

Hmm I really dont want to insult you but I think some of it is in your head since Cardiovascular work doesnt make muscles bigger. And even if you do strenght training and if you dont eat a surplux of calories, you will not get any bigger from anywhere. Your legs are probably just a bit firmer which is a good thing.

Trust me its not in my head, I look at pictures of them and cringe...if I'm wearing a dress or a skirt I need to team them with tights because I don't like them!!!

$uricate
Mar 5th, 2010, 06:42 PM
Work out the amount food you can realistically survive on daily, then half that amount and keep this level of consumption up for about 3 months.

Voila, no more thunder thighs :D

You can also add in 12 mile walks 3 times a day too.

$uricate
Mar 5th, 2010, 06:51 PM
Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, I totally forgot.

What happened with that whole website business Living Legend? I never found out the ultimate conclusion to that saga.

Living_Legend
Mar 5th, 2010, 06:51 PM
Work out the amount food you can realistically survive on daily, then half that amount and keep this level of consumption up for about 3 months.

12 miles 3 times a day :eek:

I more of a 12 miles over a couple of months kinda gal :lol::eek::o

abercrombieguy23
Mar 5th, 2010, 06:52 PM

Is this sarcasm or are you seriously advocating cutting her daily minimum calories to live in half?
:help::help::help:

Living_Legend
Mar 5th, 2010, 06:53 PM
Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, I totally forgot.

What happened with that whole website business Living Legend? I never found out the ultimate conclusion to that saga.

Basically I presented the board with a few pages I managed to complete for it, they liked what they saw (I stole a template off of the internet) and I have until April to complete the rest of it...it all turned out ok, despite my boss' best efforts!!!

$uricate
Mar 5th, 2010, 06:54 PM
12 miles 3 times a day :eek:

I more of a 12 miles over a couple of months kinda gal :lol::eek::o

I was only joking ;)

I honestly dont know how to get rid of them :shrug:

Im sure you are overreacting. Post a pic of your thighs and everyone will tell you you are crazy.

I mean, they're not Sexlana big? :unsure:

Living_Legend
Mar 5th, 2010, 06:58 PM
I was only joking ;)

I honestly dont know how to get rid of them :shrug:

Im sure you are overreacting. Post a pic of your thighs and everyone will tell you you are crazy.

I mean, they're not Sexlana big? :unsure:

I know their not huge huge, they're just bigger than I want them to be and bigger than they used to be!!!

$uricate
Mar 5th, 2010, 07:04 PM
Basically I presented the board with a few pages I managed to complete for it, they liked what they saw (I stole a template off of the internet) and I have until April to complete the rest of it...it all turned out ok, despite my boss' best efforts!!!

Thats good :)

Is your boss still a bitch now?

I know their not huge huge, they're just bigger than I want them to be and bigger than they used to be!!!

Apparently, as some othe posters said, you cant reduce just one are of your body.

Maybe its all muscle :shrug:

Living_Legend
Mar 5th, 2010, 07:16 PM
Thats good :)

Is your boss still a bitch now?

Apparently, as some othe posters said, you cant reduce just one are of your body.

Maybe its all muscle :shrug:

Yes she's still a bitch, I still wanna leave but I'm going to tough it out until we're in a better employment climate...until then I'll just be grateful I've got a job!!

I may just give up the gym and just go on the runs, why can't bodies do what we want them too!?!

$uricate
Mar 5th, 2010, 07:35 PM
Yes she's still a bitch, I still wanna leave but I'm going to tough it out until we're in a better employment climate...until then I'll just be grateful I've got a job!!

I may just give up the gym and just go on the runs, why can't bodies do what we want them too!?!

I know where you are coming from, I hate my job, I am way overqualified but its so hard right now. I dont even know what I really want to do. I have a boss thats a bitch too :lol:

You just have to love who you are, then everything is fine I guess.

Wannabeknowitall
Mar 5th, 2010, 08:09 PM
There is nothing wrong with thunder thighs.
Serena has them. Kim has them. :::Looks at avatar::: I have them.
I'm sure you're fitter than many at the gym you go to.
First of all you should have let this guy know your intentions from the get-go.
Secondly you wear the clothes, the clothes don't wear you.
Have confidence regardless of what you feel about your thunder thighs.
If a friend hasn't told you your thighs look manly in leggings then don't think there are people saying you look manly in leggings.

hankqq
Mar 5th, 2010, 08:49 PM
What would Kate Moss do in such a predicament?

Dominic
Mar 6th, 2010, 12:52 AM
Trust me its not in my head, I look at pictures of them and cringe...if I'm wearing a dress or a skirt I need to team them with tights because I don't like them!!!

Not that I dont wanna believe you or anything, but muscles cant get bigger just by doing threadmill. Unless you have changed something in your food intake habits, nothing can get any bigger, unless youre like a teen and youre still actually growing up and changing.

Direwolf
Mar 6th, 2010, 01:33 AM
im sorry but it wont go away...
some people are born that way...

or

be on a like eat really really little
and do yoga

PlayByPlay
Mar 6th, 2010, 01:59 AM
Exercise will do the trick.

Yorker
Mar 6th, 2010, 03:28 AM
Are you sure it's the treadmill? Walking and running should make you slimmer, not make you gain muscle on your legs, i'm no expert on it but that seems weird. Do not rollerblade, as that will increase your leg strength and muscles.

Dominic
Mar 6th, 2010, 03:58 AM
No amount of cardio will make your muscles bigger.

woosey
Mar 6th, 2010, 05:20 AM
No amount of cardio will make your muscles bigger.

you are so wrong.

up you are running uphill or on an incline, it is very possible to experience some bulk in your lower body.

first, running uphill is the equivalent of a weight training workout. go read runnersworld. as someone who has done a lot of running on hills in preparation for a marathon i can attest to this.

in general running can slim you down, but it will also tone (make your muscles more visible). your calves may pop more, your behind (glutes) may raise, and your legs may become more shapely.

it does happen. this is first marathon i've trained for where i didn't lose, but gain. i didn't gain fat - everything is tighter.

Dominic
Mar 6th, 2010, 04:52 PM
you are so wrong.

up you are running uphill or on an incline, it is very possible to experience some bulk in your lower body.

first, running uphill is the equivalent of a weight training workout. go read runnersworld. as someone who has done a lot of running on hills in preparation for a marathon i can attest to this.

in general running can slim you down, but it will also tone (make your muscles more visible). your calves may pop more, your behind (glutes) may raise, and your legs may become more shapely.

it does happen. this is first marathon i've trained for where i didn't lose, but gain. i didn't gain fat - everything is tighter.

You are so wrong, I'm a gym trainer and kinesiologue and NO amount of cardio will make your muscles bigger. unless you start ingesting more calories, nothing can gain volume, I never said you cant get any tighter or your muscles cant get more visible, that is actually due to fat loss, and not muscle hypertrophie.

Slutiana
Mar 6th, 2010, 05:02 PM
Living Legend. :bowdown: Your username says it all.

Donny
Mar 6th, 2010, 05:06 PM
What's wrong with thunder thighs?

$uricate
Mar 6th, 2010, 11:31 PM
What would Kate Moss do in such a predicament?

I dont know, some sort of 3 day coke binge? :shrug:

CrossCourt~Rally
Mar 7th, 2010, 12:06 AM
I dont know, some sort of 3 day coke binge? :shrug:

:haha:

woosey
Mar 7th, 2010, 07:05 AM
You are so wrong, I'm a gym trainer and kinesiologue and NO amount of cardio will make your muscles bigger. unless you start ingesting more calories, nothing can gain volume, I never said you cant get any tighter or your muscles cant get more visible, that is actually due to fat loss, and not muscle hypertrophie.

do you really think the op is saying their legs have turned into bodybuilder legs?

the op is more than likely reacting to the muscular shape the legs and behind are taking on as a result of doing the cardio. this poster does exaggerate. to the lay person, it appears as though parts of your body are getting bigger - because in some ways - they are. this is especially the case if you are accustomed to a slim look that has far less visible muscle tone than a similar one that has been put through the paces.

it's laughable that you say cardio won't make you muscles pop... have you ever seen cyclists? their thighs can often be very large, and it's not necessarily because they've done a lot of weight room work.

it's the same for speed skaters - you did notice that they have very powerful legs? they do strength work but a lot of that comes from pure skating - cardio.

the muscles in my legs are far more visible because of all the hill work i've done - again, the equivalent of a lower body weight workout.

whether your muscles appear larger depends on your natural physique, the exercise you're doing, and maybe even he duration.

finally, i don't care that you are a trainer, etc. some of your posts on fitness make no sense and even defy common sense. i would not listen to a lot of your fitness advice. i also find it bizarre that you never actually talk about your own fitness but just mention that you supposedly have a particular profession.

mckyle.
Mar 7th, 2010, 07:09 AM
Is Living Legend a fake? I don't know the details. Someone fill me in.

Dominic
Mar 7th, 2010, 07:30 AM
do you really think the op is saying their legs have turned into bodybuilder legs?

the op is more than likely reacting to the muscular shape the legs and behind are taking on as a result of doing the cardio. this poster does exaggerate. to the lay person, it appears as though parts of your body are getting bigger - because in some ways - they are. this is especially the case if you are accustomed to a slim look that has far less visible muscle tone than a similar one that has been put through the paces.

it's laughable that you say cardio won't make you muscles pop... have you ever seen cyclists? their thighs can often be very large, and it's not necessarily because they've done a lot of weight room work.

it's the same for speed skaters - you did notice that they have very powerful legs? they do strength work but a lot of that comes from pure skating - cardio.

the muscles in my legs are far more visible because of all the hill work i've done - again, the equivalent of a lower body weight workout.

whether your muscles appear larger depends on your natural physique, the exercise you're doing, and maybe even he duration.

finally, i don't care that you are a trainer, etc. some of your posts on fitness make no sense and even defy common sense. i would not listen to a lot of your fitness advice. i also find it bizarre that you never actually talk about your own fitness but just mention that you supposedly have a particular profession.

What's the matter with you!? Are you trying to pick a fight or something? Read my freakin' posts before you post a bunch of bs trying to contradict them when you are actually not contradicting anything of what I actually said.

I NEVER SAID CARDIO WONT MAKE YOUR MUSCLES MORE VISIBLE. You're trying to invent an argument there cause there is not one and I've said it like 3 times, so learn to read before you act like an ass. I said it wont make them BIGGER, unless you change your eating habits and ingest more calories. Your muscles need matter to grow bigger (protein carbs, fat: calories) If you eat more or less the same amount of calories you always eat, and your weight doesnt change, none of your muscles have enough matter to grow any bigger, no matter the amount of cardio work you do, or strenght training for that matter. That is a fact. More often than not , doing cardio alone will not change anything in your appearance if you eat the same and dont lose some fat at the same time. That being said, it will help you burn more calories and eventually fat; probably get more definition.

You obviously cant make the difference between big muscles and definition which is pathetic. And dude I dont give a damn about your stupid insults I have nothing to proove to you, you on the other hand have to tell me what are the things ive supposedly said about fitness that defy common sense. And why the hell would I talk about my own fitness if nobody asked me!? There is a way to express yourself with class and have a respectful discussion but since you have no clue about that either, I'm fine with answering u like that.

esquímaux
Mar 8th, 2010, 05:44 AM
Keep the buttermilk thighs. Haven't you heard? Clijsters brought 'em back into style :)

Mrs. Berasetegui
Mar 8th, 2010, 11:37 PM
Maybe you're just big boned? :shrug:

Barrie_Dude
Mar 9th, 2010, 03:20 PM
The best way to get rid of thunder thighs is divorce her

slamchamp
Mar 9th, 2010, 05:05 PM
post a pic