PDA

View Full Version : Sci-Fi Movies Zone!!

anton
Oct 4th, 2002, 10:55 AM
post in here!!

The Crow
Oct 4th, 2002, 11:05 AM
I love sci-fi books, but most of the time I'm not too fond of sci-fi movies. Gattaca was a good movie, as was the Star Trek movie "First contact".

The Crow
Oct 4th, 2002, 11:06 AM
O and The fifth element, the best scifi movie ever :D

~ The Leopard ~
Oct 4th, 2002, 11:12 AM
Well done starting this thread, anton. Let's talk about books as well.

William Gibson rules.

Meanwhile, if anyone ever sees an actual script for T3 on the net let me know.

anton
Oct 4th, 2002, 11:17 AM
hey the crow, that reminds me, I loved the movie "The Crow". Not exactly sci-fi but its dark and different like sci-fi.

this has been discussed on another thread but im gonna list some of my fav sci-fi/futuristic movies.

1t2
2gattaca
3bladerunner
4aliens
5contact
6minority report

~ The Leopard ~
Oct 4th, 2002, 11:29 AM
1. Blade Runner

2. 2001: A Space Odyssey

3. Forbidden Planet

4. Terminator 2

5. Terminator

6. The Time Machine (1960 George Pal version not the recent crap version)

7. The Matrix

8. Minority Report

9. The Empire Strikes Back (far the best of the Star Wars movies IMHO)

10. X-Men

Of course, I'd give a different list if I did this tomorrow.... so many great movies!

Colin B
Oct 4th, 2002, 11:39 AM
Have any of you guys ever seen a 70's cult sci fi film called "Dark Star"? It was re-released on video and DVD a couple of years ago.

It was writen by John Carpenter and is a kind of spoof on the 2001 - A Space Odyssey theme.

It's a classic!!

billybizar
Oct 4th, 2002, 02:41 PM
What happened to the 'nick name'-thread where we discussed Sci-fi movies?!
Has it been removed?

:sad:

I'd like to know if someone replied to me.

Sam L
Oct 4th, 2002, 02:45 PM
I like Gattaca, 2001 Space Odyssey and Blade Runner amongst others. I enjoyed Contact but it had too many loose ends. Mission to Mars was enjoyable too with interesting theories.

I like some of the Star Trek stuff and of course Star Wars.

I still haven't seen the Matrix :o

My favourite Sci-fi book is the Brave New World.

The Crow
Oct 4th, 2002, 02:48 PM
Personally I hated the Matrix. Stupid story, nothing but special effects. I'm not to keen on Star Wars either...

Sam L
Oct 4th, 2002, 02:58 PM
Crow, that's what I think about the Matrix, I mean I already know the whole story anyway. But I figure I have to see it once at least anyhow. Star Wars I love, especially the original three :)

There's a new movie called Solaris that's coming out this year. I didn't know what it was about before but apparently it's about astronauts who gets hallucinations from the planet they're circling. LOL

billybizar
Oct 4th, 2002, 03:15 PM
Never mind the 'lost'- thread, I found it.:o

I'm not fond of "Star Wars" either. Sorry to say but George Luca§ is a complete sell out. The first trilogy can count on my consideration but TPM, sheesh, that was hardly what you call a movie. From beginning till the end, Luca§ demonstrated with much bravoure his complete lack of directorial skills. But why should he care? He cashed in so much that he can probably build his own Falcon Millennium and visit the galaxy far, far away himself.

Colin, I have seen "Dark Star". It was not bad.

billybizar
Oct 4th, 2002, 03:38 PM
I'm eager to see Solaris. Steven Soderberg and James Cameron join forces to bring us the remake of Tarkovski's classic.

I've never seen the Tarkovski-film but apparently it was not exactly your daily multiplex-popcorn-entertainment. Hopefully Hollywood can live up to Tarkovski's personal approach of 'difficult' themes.

anton
Oct 4th, 2002, 08:28 PM
will somebody please post those website that you can go to to find out info on terminator 3? thanks.

billybizar
Oct 5th, 2002, 05:20 PM
www.aintitcool.com

at www.darkhorizons.com you can download the teaser trailer but I guess you have already done that.

Canek
Oct 5th, 2002, 10:52 PM
THE WIRED SCI-FI TOP 20
Futureplex
1. Blade Runner
2. Gattaca
3. The Matrix
4. 2001: A Space Odyssey
5. Brazil
6. A Clockwork Orange
7. Alien
8. The Boys From Brazil
9. Jurassic Park
10. Star Wars
11. The Road Warrior
12. Tron
13. The Terminator
14. Sleeper
15. Soylent Green
16. RoboCop
17. Planet Of The Apes
18. The Day The Earth Stood Still
19. Akira
20. Barbarella

When it comes to the big screen, there's no fighting the future - seven of the top ten grossing films of all time traffic in imagined worlds and fantastic frontiers. But what makes a truly great sci-fi flick isn't just popcorn appeal; it's how well a world is conceived, developed, and realized. Wired's team of serious science fiction fans - led by Josh Calder, who rates films in depth at Futuristmovies.com - determined our rankings by three calibrating factors: a film's power to enthrall and excite (Adrenaline), how well it presents a scenario for the future (Vision), and whether the science behind the fiction holds up (Precision). Disagree? Send your own picks to movielist@wiredmag.com.

http://www.futuristmovies.com/

anton
Oct 5th, 2002, 11:35 PM
thanks for this list and the links! i have to check some things out!