PDA

View Full Version : Medvedev demands Russian officials resign over worst-ever performance in Vancouver

Lin Lin
Mar 1st, 2010, 10:36 PM
MOSCOW: President Dmitry Medvedev on Monday called for officials in charge of preparing Russian athletes for the Winter Olympics to resign after the country suffered its worst-ever performance in Vancouver.

"Those in charge of preparation for the Olympics must take responsibility right now. The responsible persons should take the courageous decision and submit their resignation," Medvedev said in televised remarks.

"If they cannot do it we will help them," he added, speaking at a meeting with leaders of the ruling United Russia party.

The Russian squad recorded a deeply disappointing performance in Vancouver, finishing 11th in the Games' medal table and clinching only three gold medals and 15 overall.

Russia's poor showing was a bitter blow to a country used to dominating the Winter Olympics since Soviet times.

Medvedev urged improvements in the training of Olympic athletes ahead of the 2014 Games, which Russia itself will host in its southern Black Sea resort town of Sochi.

In unusually scathing comments, Medvedev slammed the country's sports officials as "fat cats."

"We need to think about how to change the system of preparing athletes. Its main focus needs to be the athlete himself, not the federations, which seem sometimes like fat cats," Medvedev said.

Following the Vancouver Games "we had very negative emotions, but we need to move forward," he added.

In an echo of Medvedev's criticism, Russian parliament speaker Boris Gryzlov called the Vancouver Games a "systemic failure" for Russia, the Interfax news agency reported.

Russia, accustomed to being a winter sports powerhouse, has experienced a humbling decline in its Olympics performances since the collapse of the Soviet Union and its generous financing of athletic training.

The Vancouver Games were particularly painful for Russia because of losses in sports such as figure skating and ice hockey, in which the country has traditionally enjoyed success.

Russia's figure skaters finished without an Olympic gold medal for the first time in 50 years, while Russia's men's ice-hockey were knocked out of medal contention last week in a humiliating 7-3 loss to Canada.

Medvedev's call for resignations came after similar comments last week from Prime Minister Vladimir Putin, who hinted at personnel changes to ensure a better performance in Sochi.

"Of course, we expected more," Putin said. "But all the same it's not a reason to lose heart, scatter our heads with ashes and beat ourselves to exhaustion with chains." - AFP

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/afp_sports/view/1040835/1/.html

Wow:eek::spit:

Michael!
Mar 1st, 2010, 10:44 PM
I guess this was the first time where most of the Russians were clean :p

Blu€
Mar 2nd, 2010, 01:25 AM
Fat cats :rolls::rolls:

ys
Mar 2nd, 2010, 01:44 AM
"We need to think about how to change the system of preparing athletes. Its main focus needs to be the athlete himself, not the federations, which seem sometimes like fat cats," Medvedev said.

They are looking at the wrong end of the issue. Pumping more money into Olympic teams will only result into more stealing of state money.
The numbers I'd like to hear:
- number of new school stadiums built
- number of new public swimming pools built
- number of new tennis courts built
- number of new skating rinks built
- number of lighted lanes for rollerblading/jogging/cycling/skiing(in winter) in city parks

For as long as we don't have a progress here, in those number, and for as long as we do not have regress in volumes of alcohol and tobacco consumed, nothing is going to happen with Russian Olympic results

kiwifan
Mar 2nd, 2010, 04:04 AM
At least no one was shot or sent to Siberia. :tape:

DragonFlame
Mar 2nd, 2010, 04:51 AM
I guess when the netherlands with a population of 16 mil and 40k km2 ends up AHEAD of Russia in the medal table with it's 140 mil pop and 17mil km2 there must be something wrong :tape:

Beat
Mar 2nd, 2010, 07:28 AM

well, you're being sarcastic, but you really hit the nail on the head! will russia never learn? things like these make them look extremely reactionary. i just try to imagine my country - or any other democratic country for that matter - and its president threating the sports officials ... :smash:

sotschi will suck. btw/ it was 24ºC there this week. :help:

tennisbum79
Mar 2nd, 2010, 07:49 AM
From time to time, Putin will show that trait people in the west who fear him thought he had.

He just can't help it.

tennisbum79
Mar 2nd, 2010, 07:52 AM
well, you're being sarcastic, but you really hit the nail on the head! will russia never learn? things like these make them look extremely reactionary. i just try to imagine my country - or any other democratic country for that matter - and its president threating the sports officials ... :smash:

In light of this, I am not sure Putin will get too many volunters to head the next organizing commitee.

He seems to be obsessed with appearing to be seen as the strong man

KournikovaFan91
Mar 2nd, 2010, 10:29 AM
I agree with Medvedev especially in figure skating where there preformance was awful. Rodnina also spoke out against the figure skating officials.

LeonHart
Mar 3rd, 2010, 03:18 AM
:weirdo:

Vanity Bonfire
Mar 3rd, 2010, 05:22 PM
Russian sport has been declining massively since the start of the century on the whole. I don't think they can stop the rot over just a four year period.

tenn_ace
Mar 3rd, 2010, 06:04 PM
There is no children/youth sport exists in the country anymore. There used to be tons of local/regional/national tournaments in most of sports especially traditional ones, but now nothing is left. How are they going to improve the situation by Sochi - who the hell knows?

ys
Mar 3rd, 2010, 06:27 PM
One thing that you can't but notice. A massive failure of Russian women. In every preious Olympics Russian women won more medals than Russian men. In Vancouver Russian women won .. just 4 medals. In fact, the men had the results well within their normal. Russian worst-ever performance is pretty much equal to horrible results of Russian ladies.. Not sure what to make of it though.

KournikovaFan91
Mar 3rd, 2010, 08:04 PM

I don't see how asking for a resignation is a big issue. I wish some of our sports officials resigned and I think the government has every right to demand the resignation. Its not like a private company they are interfering in.

Sochi is great because it will be lovely and warm and there will be skiing, hit the beach and then up to the snow :hearts:

It shouldn't be difficult for Russia to turn around their preformance. Remember Great Britian in Atlanta. They did worse than Ireland. Now they are up in the Top 5 in Summer Games medals from Beijing.

Russians never do that amazingly in the North American Olympics, compare Salt Lake City to Torino. Athens was also a lot more successful than Atlanta for them.
They just prefer being in Europe.

kris719
Mar 3rd, 2010, 08:39 PM
the exact same thing would happen in most high-achieving countries when they extremely underperform.

ys
Mar 3rd, 2010, 09:37 PM
Russians never do that amazingly in the North American Olympics, compare Salt Lake City to Torino. Athens was also a lot more successful than Atlanta for them.
They just prefer being in Europe.

Their performance in Lake Placid and Calgary was very good though.

Lin Lin
Mar 3rd, 2010, 10:51 PM
Russia's Olympic chief resigns after Vancouver flop

MOSCOW: The head of Russia's Olympic Committee, Leonid Tyagachev, has resigned following the poor showing of the Russian team at the Vancouver Winter Games, news agencies reported on Wednesday.

Tyagachev has "signed his resignation declaration," the spokesman for the Russian Olympic Committee Gennady Shvets was quoted as saying by the Interfax news agency.

"I do not know the precise motivation but in any case it is likely that this is linked to the performance of the Russian team in Vancouver," he added.

President Dmitry Medvedev had on Monday called for officials in charge of preparing Russian athletes for the Winter Olympics to resign after the country suffered its worst-ever performance in Vancouver.

The Russian squad finished 11th in the Games' medal table, clinching only three gold medals and 15 overall.

Russia's poor showing was a bitter blow to a country used to dominating the Winter Olympics since Soviet times.

"Those in charge of preparation for the Olympics must take responsibility right now. The responsible persons should take the courageous decision and submit their resignation," Medvedev had said in televised remarks.

"If they cannot do it we will help them," he added.

Tyagachev's resignation was a "direct reaction to the president's words, Shvets told Gazeta.ru news web site.

The team's performance also drew criticism from Prime Minister Vladimir Putin, who on Friday called for "serious critical analysis and conclusions, perhaps including organisational conclusions."

Tyagachev began his career as an Alpine skiier and trainer of the Soviet Union's team. He served as sport and tourism minister in the 1990s before joining the Olympic Committee. He was elected president of the committee in 2001. - AFP

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/afp_sports/view/1041302/1/.html

Joana
Mar 4th, 2010, 01:11 AM
One thing that you can't but notice. A massive failure of Russian women. In every preious Olympics Russian women won more medals than Russian men. In Vancouver Russian women won .. just 4 medals. In fact, the men had the results well within their normal. Russian worst-ever performance is pretty much equal to horrible results of Russian ladies.. Not sure what to make of it though.

The bulk of their medals came from cross country and biathlon, if I'm not wrong. I don't know what happened in cross country, there's just absolutely no one to replace Lazutina, Danilova and Chepalova. In biathlon they're just going to a rough patch, Yurieva banned, Kuzmina defected to Slovakia, Medvetseva too old by now, plus some bad luck and bad waxing, I suspect.

It's the total lack of young talents in cross country and figure skating that the officials should be held responsible for, not the fact that the hockey team full of superstars failed to perform. I don't see what they could have done about it.

It's not just happening in winter sports. Russian women's volleyball team is struggling a lot too. Without Gamova they'd be a 2nd tier team even on European level, not the mention the world scene.

Svetlana.
Mar 4th, 2010, 02:39 AM
It's the total lack of young talents in cross country and figure skating that the officials should be held responsible for, not the fact that the hockey team full of superstars failed to perform. I don't see what they could have done about it.

I agree with that, but at the same time I think some corruption cases took a place in selecting athletes in many disciplines. Many were selected because of their connections or based on the old achievements. For instance, gold medal winner in biathlon Evgeny Ustyugov was selected to the team after winning multiple major events. He basically needed to beg the officials to be in the team. Corruption on all levels is a major problem in new Russia nowadays.

ys
Mar 4th, 2010, 03:44 AM
The bulk of their medals came from cross country and biathlon, if I'm not wrong. I don't know what happened in cross country, there's just absolutely no one to replace Lazutina, Danilova and Chepalova. In biathlon they're just going to a rough patch, Yurieva banned, Kuzmina defected to Slovakia, Medvetseva too old by now, plus some bad luck and bad waxing, I suspect.

Partly true. But, not really. Sleptsova is still one of season leaders, Zaica is OK too. And the first three races? Total disaster. Incompetetive. In the last two they deliver. So, what happened in the first three races? Miscalculated training program, they peaked too late.
Distance X-country is total fiasco. 8th place in relay which we always owned..
And there is no replacement for the likes of Slutskaya, Zhurova in other sports..

Apoleb
Mar 4th, 2010, 03:51 AM
Their performance in Beijing, if I recall correctly, was also considerably worse than in previous Olympics. I presume it has to do with a general decline in sporting activity that was especially "popular" in Soviet times.

RFSTB
Mar 4th, 2010, 03:58 AM
Former Deputy Russian PM Predicts Sochi Games Catastrophe (http://www.foreignpolicy.com/articles/2010/03/01/interview_boris_nemtsov) :

Former Russia Deputy Prime Minister Boris Nemtsov says the Sochi Olympics will be a catastrophe.

Speaking to Foreign Policy magazine, Nemtsov said: "these Olympics will be an economic and ecological catastrophe. A road being built from Sochi to the ski areas in the nearby mountains will cost around $130 million per kilometer. This is now one of the world's most expensive roads and a symbol of corruption.”

Nemtsov, who is from Sochi, added “sometimes, it seems like God doesn't even want the Olympics in Sochi.”
The biggest problems for the Games, according to Nemtsov, are corruption, organized crime and the weather.

“[Putin] has found one of the only places in Russia where there is no snow in the winter. He has decided to build these ice rinks in the warmest part of the warmest region. Sochi is subtropical. There is no tradition of skating or hockey there. In Sochi, we prefer football, and volleyball, and swimming. Other parts of Russia need ice palaces -- we don't.”

Nemtsov is an outspoken critic of Prime Minister Vladimir Putin.

Lin Lin
Mar 4th, 2010, 04:14 AM
Let Sochi Olympics move to China's Harbin:bounce::hearts:

Julian
Mar 4th, 2010, 06:28 AM
Interesting post. I am especially surprised to see Russia not doing well in Figure Skating these days!!

AnnaK_4ever
Mar 4th, 2010, 08:23 AM
The bulk of their medals came from cross country and biathlon, if I'm not wrong. I don't know what happened in cross country, there's just absolutely no one to replace Lazutina, Danilova and Chepalova.

You listed three well established dopers.
No doping = no medals. Simple as that.

miffedmax
Mar 4th, 2010, 12:02 PM
I think there's a little overreaction here. Was Canada's "Own the Podium" program so sinister? Putin and Medvedev may have a lot of policies I don't agree with (and some I do--not that they give a shit what my 'merican self thinks) but this is hardly surprising. Lots of countries have more direct political involvement in their sports bodies than the U.S. and some other Western European countries (and some WE countries have plenty of government involvement).

ys
Mar 4th, 2010, 12:33 PM
You listed three well established dopers.
No doping = no medals. Simple as that.

You surely meant "poorly established asthmatics", right?

Lachrymarum
Mar 4th, 2010, 02:10 PM
Former Deputy Russian PM Predicts Sochi Games Catastrophe (http://www.foreignpolicy.com/articles/2010/03/01/interview_boris_nemtsov) :
Former Russia Deputy Prime Minister Boris Nemtsov says the Sochi Olympics will be a catastrophe.
Speaking to Foreign Policy magazine, Nemtsov said: "these Olympics will be an economic and ecological catastrophe. A road being built from Sochi to the ski areas in the nearby mountains will cost around $130 million per kilometer. This is now one of the world's most expensive roads and a symbol of corruption.”
Nemtsov, who is from Sochi, added “sometimes, it seems like God doesn't even want the Olympics in Sochi.”
The biggest problems for the Games, according to Nemtsov, are corruption, organized crime and the weather.
“[Putin] has found one of the only places in Russia where there is no snow in the winter. He has decided to build these ice rinks in the warmest part of the warmest region. Sochi is subtropical. There is no tradition of skating or hockey there. In Sochi, we prefer football, and volleyball, and swimming. Other parts of Russia need ice palaces -- we don't.”
Nemtsov is an outspoken critic of Prime Minister Vladimir Putin.
After reading this it makes me wonder how Sochi won the bid for the 2014 games.

canuckfan
Mar 4th, 2010, 02:26 PM

Most probably:

-Unlimited financial backing by the russian government
-The promise of a two weeks paid vacation by the Black Sea for all IOC members, most of whom have absolutely no interest in winter sports.

RFSTB
Mar 4th, 2010, 03:46 PM
I'm curious to see which Games will end up being the bigger disaster, Sochi or Rio.

ys
Mar 4th, 2010, 04:01 PM

What was quoted from Nemtsov there is a total nonsense, complete garbage. ( yes Sochi rarely sees snow, but does Vancouver? Yes $130M per km of highway is expensive, ask the French and the Swiss the cost of 1 km for Mont Blanc or La Manche tunnels? Yes there is crime there, but comparing to this world cup venue it is kindergarten stuff. Corruption, perhaps, - but how would it affect visitors? People who live in Sochi don't play much of hockey, but do they in Tampa, Miami, LA or Dallas? ) Utter garbage.

Sochi will have no technical or infrastructural or weather problems whatsoever. Guaranteed.
Rosa-Hutor ( mountain venue ) has enough snow for snow-sports 8 months an year. In terms of infrastructure Russians will have anything that money can buy and even more.

I believe Sochi's problems will lay elsewhere, in human field, and in that sense they could be even worse than Bejing Olympics.

AnnaK_4ever
Mar 4th, 2010, 07:16 PM

$$$

IOC are a bunch of corruptionists, just like Putin and Co. There is not a single logical explanation of why Winter Olympics should be held in the only subtropical city of Russia.

tennisbum79
Mar 4th, 2010, 10:40 PM
Interesting.
Two diametrically opposed takes from 2 russian, one living there, another expatriate.
Who should we believe?

$$$

IOC are a bunch of corruptionists, just like Putin and Co. There is not a single logical explanation of why Winter Olympics should be held in the only subtropical city of Russia.

What was quoted from Nemtsov there is a total nonsense, complete garbage. ( yes Sochi rarely sees snow, but does Vancouver? Yes $130M per km of highway is expensive, ask the French and the Swiss the cost of 1 km for Mont Blanc or La Manche tunnels? Yes there is crime there, but comparing to this world cup venue it is kindergarten stuff. Corruption, perhaps, - but how would it affect visitors? People who live in Sochi don't play much of hockey, but do they in Tampa, Miami, LA or Dallas? ) Utter garbage.

Sochi will have no technical or infrastructural or weather problems whatsoever. Guaranteed.
Rosa-Hutor ( mountain venue ) has enough snow for snow-sports 8 months an year. In terms of infrastructure Russians will have anything that money can buy and even more.

I believe Sochi's problems will lay elsewhere, in human field, and in that sense they could be even worse than Bejing Olympics.

AnnaK_4ever
Mar 4th, 2010, 11:11 PM
I'm not arguing there will be enough snow for skiing. I just fail to see the point of building winter sport infrastructure in a subtropical city when you have Mount Elbrus region less than 150 miles to the east.
And I'm not even talking about ecological catastrophe and hundreds of people being thrown out of their houses in Sochi area.

Joana
Mar 5th, 2010, 01:47 AM
I'm not arguing there will be enough snow for skiing. I just fail to see the point of building winter sport infrastructure in a subtropical city when you have Mount Elbrus region less than 150 miles to the east.

They probably expect more visitors would want to come to a city with a very moderate weather in winter, than some place with subzero temperatures. Which is probably true, but still kind of ridiculous. People should be aware those are the Winter Olympics they're coming to.

ys
Mar 5th, 2010, 01:50 AM
Interesting.
Two diametrically opposed takes from 2 russian, one living there, another expatriate.
Who should we believe?

I have friends who've been there ( in Krasnaya Polyana ) recently . I know this business ( winter sports ) myself very well. I know how things are going over there. I know that they are stealing a lot of money, but they are also building a helluva lot too. They are making a very good progress. They will start having World Cup events in those sports and other sports quite soon, you'll see.

That they will eventually excel n infrastructure, venues, ceremonies, I don't have a slightest doubt about. Simply they have money, and they have political will.But whether the Games will be as enjoyable for visitors as they were for those who visited the Vancouver Games, that's where I have my doubts. I suspect it will be closer to the experience of visiting the Bejing Games.

Joana
Mar 5th, 2010, 01:57 AM
Ys, are there any good alpine skiing slopes some other place in Russia? The Ural mountaines, Siberia, Kamchatka? Although I guess those places aren't huge tourist attractions anyway.

ys
Mar 5th, 2010, 02:02 AM

Well, you know just as well as I do that it is impossible.
First , because of political reasons. Elbrus area lays in the middle of very volatile area ( intersection of Balkaria and Karachai ), where there were very recent elements of Islamic insurgency and terrorism. You know, I am not making it up, it happened and very recently. That area is not even under real control of Federal government. They rely on their local pro_xies for any law enforcement.
Second. Weather. Elbrus area has much more continental climate (In that sense Dombai area is slightly better ). I went to there for skiing like 10 years in a row. Snow is very unpredictable. You can have a month without any significant snow, or you can have storm that would create avalanches of such magnitude that they would wipe out half of the gorge. Happened back in 1993, I've been there back then. We've been locked in the gorge for a week. They've been bringing us food on humvees. Literally. And after big storm you have a gorgeous snow. For a couple of days. Because it is so cold, and so high and so windy, that all that convert any layer of powder into a rock hard crust very quick.
It's 4K+ mountains we are talking about. Very tough to control. On top of that, it can be really brutally cold in there, and it actually is, most of the time.
Third. Geography. Rather narrow gorge. Not much of space to operate with.
Fourth. Where would you hold the city part of the games? Nalchik? Min Vody? Or maybe Grozny? :) That would be fun.

I am not saying it is technically impossible. I am just saying that that bid would have no chance. For next quarter of century at least.

And I'm not even talking about ecological catastrophe and hundreds of people being thrown out of their houses in Sochi area.When all is said and done, those people will find themselves twice more prosperous than they were before. It's a business of huge magnitude built in the area from the scratch. Ecology.. We'll see... In opposite, it could be that with resort in place ecology will be under better control.

ys
Mar 5th, 2010, 02:12 AM
Ys, are there any good alpine skiing slopes some other place in Russia? The Ural mountaines, Siberia, Kamchatka? Although I guess those places aren't huge tourist attractions anyway.

Kamchatka is OK , but no infrastructure. Though they did have the Olympic base of Russian national team over there. Our best skiers , including those who medaled at Olympics in 90s ( Gladysheva ) trained over there and some are even from there ( Zelenskaya ).
Ural, Siberia have mountains. They lack some other commodity. Snow.Very continental climate. The way it happens in mediterranian climate, when you have a cyclone, and have you have half a meter dump within 24 hours, it never happens there.. The whole thing is not impossible though.. They have another important commodity .. cold.. With proper infrastructure they can have well functioning mountains on snowmaking only. As people in Vermont mountain resorts say, we'd easily choose cold over snow. But to have that you need a money flow, you need a snow sport economy, you need tourists which would bring money, which would bring in sport equipment companies, which would become sponsors and make it more affordable for a local population, from which we would get our Olympic champions and so on, and that would popularize resorts and bring more tourists and so on.. That cycle has to be started from big investment and some prosperity of population. And we in Ural and Siberia are not anywhere close to that kind of economy.

ys
Mar 5th, 2010, 02:25 AM
They probably expect more visitors would want to come to a city with a very moderate weather in winter, than some place with subzero temperatures. Which is probably true, but still kind of ridiculous. People should be aware those are the Winter Olympics they're coming to.

The guys don't understand. Having Olympics in basically subtropical resort is fantastic idea. It's the whole charm of it. But actually, I believe it will be rather close weather wise to Vancouver Olympics.
I think San Fran/San Jose should bid, together with Tahoe/Mammoth. That would be just awesome. Awesome. And I really hope Santiago bids one day. That could be the be Winter(in northern hemisphere summer) games ever. They could even combine. I can't actually think of any other place that could comfortably have both Olympics at the same time.. :)

AnnaK_4ever
Mar 5th, 2010, 08:13 AM
Well, you know just as well as I do that it is impossible.
First , because of political reasons. Elbrus area lays in the middle of very volatile area ( intersection of Balkaria and Karachai ), where there were very recent elements of Islamic insurgency and terrorism. You know, I am not making it up, it happened and very recently. That area is not even under real control of Federal government. They rely on their local pro_xies for any law enforcement.

The huge investments and massive creation of job places would do wonders to the region. It would be an excellent way to show Russia still needs those people and don't treat them as barbarians.
Would it be a big challenge for the Russian authorities? Sure. But they are supposed to face such challenges if they want to develop the country.

Second. Weather. Elbrus area has much more continental climate (In that sense Dombai area is slightly better ). I went to there for skiing like 10 years in a row. Snow is very unpredictable. You can have a month without any significant snow, or you can have storm that would create avalanches of such magnitude that they would wipe out half of the gorge. Happened back in 1993, I've been there back then. We've been locked in the gorge for a week. They've been bringing us food on humvees. Literally. And after big storm you have a gorgeous snow. For a couple of days. Because it is so cold, and so high and so windy, that all that convert any layer of powder into a rock hard crust very quick.

Third. Geography. Rather narrow gorge. Not much of space to operate with.

You make it look as if every competition would be held at Mount Elbrus itself.

Fourth. Where would you hold the city part of the games? Nalchik? Min Vody? Or maybe Grozny? :) That would be fun.

See part 1.

I am not saying it is technically impossible. I am just saying that that bid would have no chance. For next quarter of century at least.

Putin could have easily bribed the IOC anyway. It happens all the time.

When all is said and done, those people will find themselves twice more prosperous than they were before. It's a business of huge magnitude built in the area from the scratch. Ecology.. We'll see... In opposite, it could be that with resort in place ecology will be under better control.

I thought we were talking seriously. Sigh...

KournikovaFan91
Mar 5th, 2010, 01:08 PM
Bribery was dealt with in the IOC after the Atlanta and Salt Lake City controversies, I think Sochi has every right to host the games and the fact that it will be nice and warm is a bonus imo.

And the other two bids were so lame in comparison with Sochi's.

But Russia has a massive gorrilla on its back anyway, no matter what Russian city won everyone would still be bashing.

RFSTB
Mar 5th, 2010, 03:58 PM
Bribery was dealt with in the IOC after the Atlanta and Salt Lake City controversies, I think Sochi has every right to host the games and the fact that it will be nice and warm is a bonus imo.

And the other two bids were so lame in comparison with Sochi's.

But Russia has a massive gorrilla on its back anyway, no matter what Russian city won everyone would still be bashing.

Don't be too sure. One major reason Chicago lost the bid was said to be because the IOC does not want to bring the games to the US, because they don't want to operate with an open book as required by Congress. Other countries can bribe away and never get caught, because the IOC answers to no government, but the US bid cities have to answer to US Congress. The fact that the bid city selection voting process is completely opaque only adds to the suspicion. The BBC suspected the IOC of collusion in selecting Rio over Chicago.

Which cities did Sochi defeat? I don't even remember. Regardless, I'm actually looking forward to it. It's been a long time since Russia hosts any major international event. Just hope it isn't too much of a disaster.

KournikovaFan91
Mar 5th, 2010, 06:15 PM
Sochi beat PyeongChang and a lackluster Salzburg bid.

But I don't really buy the bribery because recently the votes have all gone the way most people assumed they would, London and Rio were both the clear favourites although Paris did threaten London.

ys
Mar 5th, 2010, 06:37 PM
Sochi beat PyeongChang and a lackluster Salzburg bid.

But I don't really buy the bribery because recently the votes have all gone the way most people assumed they would, London and Rio were both the clear favourites although Paris did threaten London.

Seriously.. If Sochi was a bribe, then why would Poutine even have needed to bother going all the way to Guatemala?