PDA

View Full Version : Dakota Fanning as Lita Ford?!

Calvin M.
Mar 1st, 2010, 08:57 AM
The majority of you are too young to remember late 70's rockers, The Runaways. I saw a preview of the upcoming movie about the band last week and I was shocked that Dakota Fanning was in it. I thought to myself "she's playing Lita Ford?!?!". Well, my brother told me yesterday that I was wrong and that Fanning actually has the Cherrie Currie part. What a relief! hahaha I know this means nothing to young folks but I'll put it this way: imagine Hollywood doing "The Courtney Love Story" and casting Mylie Cyrus in the title role. hahaha

miffedmax
Mar 1st, 2010, 12:51 PM
Yeah, so you're okay with Kristen Stewart as Joan Jett? :tape: :help:

('cause I am old enough to remember)

Super Dave
Mar 1st, 2010, 02:35 PM
Or they may remember these...

loyTCkV06xQ

36AmmAqATWY

darrinbaker00
Mar 1st, 2010, 02:39 PM

Since Kristen is still alive, I have to assume that Joan Jett is OK with it. ;)

kiwifan
Mar 1st, 2010, 03:10 PM
She's playing Cherrie Currie not Lita Ford.

Big Joan Jett fan here. ;)

Lita was a bruiser back then, Fanning would have to go on 'roids to "get Lita right". :lol: Lita once knocked down a door to get to Cherrie to kick her ass. :tape:

Ferg
Mar 1st, 2010, 10:25 PM
Can we all agree the movie looks shit?

Calvin M.
Mar 2nd, 2010, 12:49 AM

I have no point of reference because I've never seen Stewart act but based on looks alone, she looks too feeble to be Joan Jett.

Or they may remember these...

loyTCkV06xQ

36AmmAqATWY

"Close My Eyes Forever" was released in '88. I could be wrong but I think the majority here were either 2 yrs old or not born yet when that power ballad was big.

She's playing Cherrie Currie not Lita Ford.

Big Joan Jett fan here. ;)

Lita was a bruiser back then, Fanning would have to go on 'roids to "get Lita right". :lol: Lita once knocked down a door to get to Cherrie to kick her ass. :tape:

Yep, my brother corrected me. I don't know Scout Taylor-Compton, the actress playing Lita, but your description of her is exactly why I did a double take when I thought Fanning was cast as her. haha

Can we all agree the movie looks shit?

I'll wait until DVD but I'm curious about it. I still remember Cherie Curie in the Jodie Foster movie "Foxes".

Melange
Mar 2nd, 2010, 01:39 AM
Lohan would be great in this. She wouldnt need to act at all, just be herself.

kiwifan
Mar 2nd, 2010, 03:59 AM
I have no point of reference because I've never seen Stewart act but based on looks alone, she looks too feeble to be Joan Jett.

"Close My Eyes Forever" was released in '88. I could be wrong but I think the majority here were either 2 yrs old or not born yet when that power ballad was big.

Yep, my brother corrected me. I don't know Scout Taylor-Compton, the actress playing Lita, but your description of her is exactly why I did a double take when I thought Fanning was cast as her. haha

I'll wait until DVD but I'm curious about it. I still remember Cherie Curie in the Jodie Foster movie "Foxes". I used to watch Foxes and wish I lived in Los Angeles (now I live on the Sunset Strip, not quite as magical as it seemed :tape: )

I question the casting in that these were tough girls BUT I like the casting in that the girls being cast are without a doubt LITTLE GIRLS and that's what the Runaways were "jail bait rock" (which would be one of the nicer ways their Svengali would describe them :lol: )

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMDn6V7ZLhE

Lita is the most fun to watch in most videos; such a poser.

Cherrie will blame others for sexually exploiting her and admit she chose her own clothes and made her own stage moves (to stand out from the rest of the girls) in the same sentence...her real gripe is that she wasn't as successful as...

...Joan Jett, the one who NEVER gave up...ended up doing it herself on her own Record label...and made good. :angel:

hankqq
Mar 2nd, 2010, 04:12 AM
Lita Ford and Joan Jett :worship: :rocker2: :hearts:

yeah I was surprised at some of the casting for this movie as well, but I read an article a month or so ago in which Jett said she was pleased that her role was being played by Stewart :lol: :shrug:

I'm still not sure this movie will do the Runaways justice though...:tape:

petrovator
Mar 2nd, 2010, 06:00 PM
Lita Ford (the real one) feels upset about the movie, Lita and her husband Jim Gillete, are in bad terms with Kenny Laguna (producer), (I think with Joan also), and blackheart records.

A Hollywood film about the story of The Runaways is about to come out. Had you been involved in any way?

LF: I donít know much about that film, to tell you the truth. I really didnít even want to be portrayed in it. Thereís people in it that have tried to destroy my career for the past 30 years and I didnít want anything to do with it. They offered me a ridiculously low sum for the rights of my life story, $1.500 which is what, £700?! It was an insult and we never replied. So recently, the girl that plays me in the movie, her name is Scout Taylor-Compton, I called her because I felt that they were going to show me in a bad light. So anyway, I called Scout, the actress, and she completely understood my feelings, she agreed with me on the way I feel about these people and she came out to see me play and we made friends with each other. So that was the good part. But as far as the movie goes, I couldnít tell you. Itís a weird situation

http://thequietus.com/articles/03622-news-dr-rock-lita-ford-interview-the-runaways

bonus

Queensryche & Lita Ford - If I Close My Eyes Forever 10/24/09

-us6HHurEFc

Lita 51 years of pure rock :bounce:

Calvin M.
Mar 6th, 2010, 08:01 AM
I used to watch Foxes and wish I lived in Los Angeles (now I live on the Sunset Strip, not quite as magical as it seemed :tape: )

I question the casting in that these were tough girls BUT I like the casting in that the girls being cast are without a doubt LITTLE GIRLS and that's what the Runaways were "jail bait rock" (which would be one of the nicer ways their Svengali would describe them :lol: )

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMDn6V7ZLhE

Lita is the most fun to watch in most videos; such a poser.

Cherrie will blame others for sexually exploiting her and admit she chose her own clothes and made her own stage moves (to stand out from the rest of the girls) in the same sentence...her real gripe is that she wasn't as successful as...

...Joan Jett, the one who NEVER gave up...ended up doing it herself on her own Record label...and made good. :angel:

"Foxes" to you was "Times Square" to me. Same deal here. The magic left in the early 90's.

That's completely my bone of contention! The Runaways were young but they weren't frail and they were streetwise. Fanning doesn't give that off at all and the real Joan Jett would've eaten girls like Stewart alive. haha

Cherie was really in it for the fame. Rock wasn't in her blood IMHO like it was for Sandy, Joan and Lita. The Runaways was supposed to be her launching pad and Cherie even got her twin involved as more self-promotion but it was the same ol' story of sex, drugs and rock 'n roll.

Lita's from my hometown so I'm biased. Really cool people. Said "hey" if you acknowledged her as she ran errands like the rest of us.

Saw Joan Jett live back in summer of '05 and she still had it. Cracked me up when she was swigging on Gatorade, turning to us and saying "if this was the 80's, that would be some Jack Daniels." hahaha

Calvin M.
Mar 6th, 2010, 08:06 AM

yeah I was surprised at some of the casting for this movie as well, but I read an article a month or so ago in which Jett said she was pleased that her role was being played by Stewart :lol: :shrug:

I'm surprised Joan was pleased with casting (Stewart looks physically wrong for the role) but maybe she's trying to be a good sport about the movie or welcomes the media interest.

Lita Ford (the real one) feels upset about the movie, Lita and her husband Jim Gillete, are in bad terms with Kenny Laguna (producer), (I think with Joan also), and blackheart records.

A Hollywood film about the story of The Runaways is about to come out. Had you been involved in any way?

LF: I donít know much about that film, to tell you the truth. I really didnít even want to be portrayed in it. Thereís people in it that have tried to destroy my career for the past 30 years and I didnít want anything to do with it. They offered me a ridiculously low sum for the rights of my life story, $1.500 which is what, £700?! It was an insult and we never replied. So recently, the girl that plays me in the movie, her name is Scout Taylor-Compton, I called her because I felt that they were going to show me in a bad light. So anyway, I called Scout, the actress, and she completely understood my feelings, she agreed with me on the way I feel about these people and she came out to see me play and we made friends with each other. So that was the good part. But as far as the movie goes, I couldnít tell you. Itís a weird situation

http://thequietus.com/articles/03622-news-dr-rock-lita-ford-interview-the-runaways

bonus

Queensryche & Lita Ford - If I Close My Eyes Forever 10/24/09

-us6HHurEFc

Lita 51 years of pure rock :bounce:

I love Lita. Thanks for sharing this.

miffedmax
Mar 6th, 2010, 11:24 AM

If :worship: Joan :worship: is OK with it, then I retract my previous statement.

My guess is this movie will either rock or suck, nothing in the middle.

kiwifan
Mar 6th, 2010, 02:09 PM
Every Runaways project to date has included all the other band members except Joan Jett (I've got "Edgeplay" right in front of me right now) so the others have had their bites at the apple and everyone knows as Joan is the most famous whenever she got her say that would be the final word. :shrug:

I see Lita as the "heart" of the band while Joan Jett was its "soul" and Cheri would have been just as happy acting or modeling or anything as long as she got some attention.

The worst thing they could say about Lita is that she didn't have a problem whipping someone's ass when she felt that person was screwing up the band.
It is almost like when you just want something too much and you hold on too tight...that was Lita.

Joan wanted it just as bad if not more but she was more adaptable in that if you just wanted her to write and sing back up, she did...if she had to step up to lead vocals, she did...if she had to take the ball all by herself and reinvent the whole scene, she did...I think she even played bass when the Jackie Fox quit...Joan rarely seemed to be the source of or caught up in band cat fights; she just went with the flow (including tolerating Kim Fowley a helluva lot more than anyone else in the band did) where Lita would bang her head against the wall...and I mean this in the most positive way about Lita, she's probably the most honest person in the band because she "just wants to rock" end of story.

hankqq
Mar 10th, 2010, 07:17 PM
Joan was on the Jay Leno Show last night. She sang the classic Runaways song "Cherry Bomb" and talked a bit about the movie :) She looks really good for her age :worship:

Ym3yP5bDT0Q
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ym3yP5bDT0Q

Calvin M.
Mar 10th, 2010, 11:22 PM
Joan was on the Jay Leno Show last night. She sang the classic Runaways song "Cherry Bomb" and talked a bit about the movie :) She looks really good for her age :worship:

Ym3yP5bDT0Q
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ym3yP5bDT0Q

Cool! Joan's fantastic. She really has it together and can still rock with the best of them. Thanks for the clip.

Crazy Canuck
Mar 13th, 2010, 01:20 AM
Stewart is basically anti-charisma, so I'll probably pass on this. Too bad.

Wintermute
Mar 13th, 2010, 01:29 AM
VYKsXUD3fxE&fmt=18

Yorker
Mar 13th, 2010, 02:24 AM
Scout Taylor Compton is the new Laurie in the Halloween remakes if anyone didn't know.

miffedmax
Mar 13th, 2010, 12:47 PM
Aha! Joan's signing off on Stewart might have something to do with the fact that Jett is an executive producer of the movie.

So it's not like she's going to say "Yeah, I forked over a bunch of money for this, but the casting SUX!"

I have to admit I watched the trailers and I'm kind of excited about it now. I can't say I was big on The Runaways because they were already in the process of falling apart when I first heard them, but I ADORE Joan Jett. She fucking rocks.

kiwifan
Mar 22nd, 2010, 01:00 AM
Saw it and it was great...

...except if you're a big Lita Ford fan...
...they did her a little dirty, she did bully Cherie but it was mainly for the good of the band and because of Lita's perception that Cherie wasn't really committed to the band (eventually proven to be correct)...

...believe it or not, I believe there was an Oscar worthy performance...

...the guy who played Kim Fowley was AWESOME!!! He pretty much stole every scene he was in.

The only major disappointment for me was that they didn't continue the story of the Runaways post Cherie or Joan Jett's struggles and skipped right to Joan Jett "Loving Rock-n-Roll"

Still I dug this flick. :yeah: :yeah:

miffedmax
Mar 22nd, 2010, 02:07 AM
Totally second Kiwi. I loved every fucking moment.

And, of course, I'm going to designate this as having the best soundtrack since Pulp Fiction.

I thought Stewart did a fantastic job of playing Joan Jett. I thought they did an okay job of telescoping the story to keep the movie from going on another 30 minutes, though I wouldn't have minded more on Joan. Anyway, I was going to get on here and rave, but Kiwi beat me to it.

kiwifan
Mar 22nd, 2010, 03:30 AM

[...] I was going to get on here and rave, but Kiwi beat me to it.

Sorry. :devil:

:wavey:

miffedmax
Mar 22nd, 2010, 08:25 AM
Sorry. :devil:

:wavey:

'sallright. You did a good rant and rave. All I'd add was that I was actually pretty impressed with Stewart and Fanning. I actually thought Stewart had the more difficult role and handled it really well.

All three leads were fantastic, IMHO.

gc-spurs
Mar 22nd, 2010, 09:38 AM

And, of course, I'm going to designate this as having the best soundtrack since Pulp Fiction.

I thought Stewart did a fantastic job of playing Joan Jett. I thought they did an okay job of telescoping the story to keep the movie from going on another 30 minutes, though I wouldn't have minded more on Joan. Anyway, I was going to get on here and rave, but Kiwi beat me to it.

I've read a lot of the reviews and general consensus seems to be great performances but more Joan needed. How do the performance scenes fare? Doesn't come out here til September I hear.

miffedmax
Mar 22nd, 2010, 02:38 PM
I think they did really well. There are plenty of performance bits floating around on youtube of both the movie and the original Runaways (who, for all their importance and a lineup of Jett, Ford, West and (oh so briefly) Micki Steele were never quite as good as the sum of their parts might have suggested), so you can actually do side by side comparisons. Some of the concerts are almost slavishly recreated.

I would have liked to see more on Jett, but the movie is based on Currie's book and again, I'm not sure how you could have done it differently unless you just focused on Currie, or made a 3 hour movie, neither of which would have been commercially viable as, let's face it, Jett is the most well-known band member these days. (No offense to Ford's fans).