PDA

View Full Version : Wildcards

iGOAT
Feb 28th, 2010, 08:35 PM
So, it's common knowledge that most of the wildcards in Miami go to players who have the right management, rather than only Americans. It is very tough to pick, but they often go to young players. Here are the first four:

1. Michelle Larcher de Brito
2. Jelena Dokic
3. Heather Watson
4. Arantxa Rus
5. Petra Martic
6. Ajla Tomljanovic
7. Anastasia Pivovarova
8. Justine Henin

QWC:
Viki Tomova and Gabriela Dabrowski according to posters in this thread.

Some1
Mar 4th, 2010, 05:33 PM
Gabriela Dabrowski will get a QWC as the Orange Bowl champion :)

janedoetennis!
Mar 4th, 2010, 10:27 PM
How do you know Dabrowski is getting a WC?

terceira
Mar 4th, 2010, 10:29 PM
Larcher de Brito requested a wild card

juki
Mar 5th, 2010, 12:32 AM
So, it's common knowledge that most of the wildcards in Miami go to players who have the right management, rather than only Americans. It is very tough to pick, but they often go to young players.

Right management = IMG management (they own the tournament) = IMG acadamies (Bolletieri and Evert)

Most of the young players you mentioned will probably get some type of WC. I doubt that Pivovarova and Hendler will get another MDWC, maybe just qualies. They have had their chances and haven't really shown much in the last year.

I'm not too up on the new young players signed with IMG, but I think Heather Watson is almost a sure thing WC. Also Madison Keys, and Vicki Tomova are young IMG trained players, but they might be too young. Same with Sachia Vickery.

croat123
Mar 5th, 2010, 12:50 AM
tomljanovic is getting a wc...don't know if md or q

Vincey!
Mar 5th, 2010, 02:00 AM
How do you know Dabrowski is getting a WC?

She won the Orange Bowl last year as Some1 said, so it was giving her a QWC ;)

I hope she'll do well here :D

janedoetennis!
Mar 5th, 2010, 02:10 AM
She won the Orange Bowl last year as Some1 said, so it was giving her a QWC ;)

I hope she'll do well here :D

Oh wow that is cool! I thought that the WC for Miami after winning the Orange Bowl just applies to an American if they won the event.

MBM
Mar 5th, 2010, 02:26 AM
i thought juju doesnt plan to play miami...???

hellas719
Mar 5th, 2010, 04:28 AM
I guess:
1.Henin
2.Vandeweghe
3.Pivovarova
4.Robson
5.Tomljanovic
6.Glatch
7.Larcher de Brito
8.McHale

I want:
1.Daniilidou
2.Gerasimou
3.Georgatou
4.Papamichail
5.Konstantinidou
6.Latinopoulou
7.Sakkari
8.Kordolaimi
:p

croat123
Mar 5th, 2010, 04:33 AM
Oh wow that is cool! I thought that the WC for Miami after winning the Orange Bowl just applies to an American if they won the event.
i think you are talking about winning the ncaa championship to get a usopen wc

janedoetennis!
Mar 5th, 2010, 09:18 PM
i think you are talking about winning the ncaa championship to get a usopen wc

Oh maybe. Well I hope she gets it!

Sexysova
Mar 6th, 2010, 10:45 AM
Nicole was given a MD WC :D

Andreas
Mar 6th, 2010, 10:47 AM

Ouch :unsure: Has any other WC's been confirmed?

Sexysova
Mar 6th, 2010, 10:52 AM
Ouch :unsure: Has any other WC's been confirmed?

why ouch? she needs opportunities to come back! I have that info from my source, no idea about other wcs..

Slutiana
Mar 6th, 2010, 11:00 AM
What the hell. :unsure: Are you sure it's not a QWC?

Sexysova
Mar 6th, 2010, 11:01 AM
What the hell. :unsure: Are you sure it's not a QWC?

yes

Andreas
Mar 6th, 2010, 11:26 AM
why ouch? she needs opportunities to come back! I have that info from my source, no idea about other wcs..

Well, I just think it's a rather big step from losing in R1 of a 25k :shrug: It might be even worse for her confidence if she gets trashed here.

Jorn
Mar 6th, 2010, 11:33 AM
Do we know if Justine gets a wildcard here? (Or she even want one...)

young_gunner913
Mar 6th, 2010, 11:33 AM
do we know when the official list will come out?

Break My Rapture
Mar 6th, 2010, 01:14 PM
Nicole. :inlove:

Protoss
Mar 6th, 2010, 01:35 PM
There are challenger tournaments for her to make a comeback in, which incidentally she's barely won any matches in so far. Not to mention she's regularly lost to players outside the top 100 for the last year or so when she's played Wta tournaments. :shrug:

A qualifying wildcard would be a lot more appropriate if any wildcard were to be given.

Vincey!
Mar 6th, 2010, 05:10 PM
i thought juju doesnt plan to play miami...???

Why would Henin refuse to play here? lol...Is she too scared of the tougher competitions here? :devil: or is she confident enough that she'll make the final in IW and already plan to be too tired for Miami :o If she's really planning a comeback in the top 10 she has to WANT to play all those mandatory events.

Noctis
Mar 7th, 2010, 01:37 AM
There are challenger tournaments for her to make a comeback in, which incidentally she's barely won any matches in so far. Not to mention she's regularly lost to players outside the top 100 for the last year or so when she's played Wta tournaments. :shrug:

A qualifying wildcard would be a lot more appropriate if any wildcard were to be given.

Well, I just think it's a rather big step from losing in R1 of a 25k :shrug: It might be even worse for her confidence if she gets trashed here.

Nicole' I Care shit about itfs ,WTA where i'll play my better tennis this year' She aint the type 'be a good girl and play itfs like any people would ;)

her 1st MD in wta this year won 1st round and took a good player to 3 sets'So its obvious ddnt affect her much as you think.She just need this chances to get confidences you need big wins not some wins over some itf players. Of course you can say she cant even get past the first round of itfs,but she got past 1st round of Wta MD thats where it counts :inlove:

Andreas
Mar 7th, 2010, 09:56 AM
Nicole' I Care shit about itfs ,WTA where i'll play my better tennis this year' She aint the type 'be a good girl and play itfs like any people would ;)

her 1st MD in wta this year won 1st round and took a good player to 3 sets'So its obvious ddnt affect her much as you think.She just need this chances to get confidences you need big wins not some wins over some itf players. Of course you can say she cant even get past the first round of itfs,but she got past 1st round of Wta MD thats where it counts :inlove:

:help: Laura Granville is ranked 226, so she is definitely an ITF player as well. Then she lost to an injured Kaia Kanepi (95) who used to be an okay player. I don't really buy the crap that she doesn't care about ITF's. She plays them even if no one forces her and it's not like she tanks after losing a set. Maybe she can surprise me and win a match here. I doubt it, but we'll see - it would do wonders for her :)

iGOAT
Mar 8th, 2010, 11:07 PM
OK is Christine playing or not :confused: I heard she isn't but it's on her website and people act like she is.

hellas719
Mar 9th, 2010, 04:22 AM
^Christine who?

Slutiana
Mar 9th, 2010, 08:15 AM
^Christine who?
Enna

iGOAT
Mar 9th, 2010, 10:57 PM
^Christine who?
^.

And what about Sanowa? (I DO mean this seriously :p I've heard rumors she is out.)

Noctis
Mar 9th, 2010, 11:00 PM
Laura Robson very certain on handed a WC..

Slutiana
Mar 10th, 2010, 12:33 AM
Laura Robson very certain on handed a WC..
No she isn't. :lol: She withdrew from a couple of ITF events and a person in her thread hoped it meant that she got a Miami WC, big difference between "very certain".

young_gunner913
Mar 10th, 2010, 01:03 AM
:help: Laura Granville is ranked 226, so she is definitely an ITF player as well. Then she lost to an injured Kaia Kanepi (95) who used to be an okay player. I don't really buy the crap that she doesn't care about ITF's. She plays them even if no one forces her and it's not like she tanks after losing a set. Maybe she can surprise me and win a match here. I doubt it, but we'll see - it would do wonders for her :)

laura is a former top 30 player with 3rd or better results in all the slams. she ran into a bit of trouble at the end of the 2007 season with a foot injury and then in 2008 didnt play a lot of big tournaments where she had points to defend because of a wrist injury. she's a good ITF player as shes won 7 ITF titles but that's not just all she is.

Leonche
Mar 11th, 2010, 07:26 AM
Viki Tomova has received a QWC :)

FedererBulgaria
Mar 11th, 2010, 11:38 AM
Viki Tomova has received a QWC :)

She is really talented,its too early,but its great to see it...european Champ GO_GO :lol: :bounce:

Elwin.
Mar 14th, 2010, 07:03 PM
MDWC
Arantxa Rus

DokDi
Mar 14th, 2010, 07:50 PM
Jelena Dokic will most likely get a MDWC.

In The Zone
Mar 14th, 2010, 09:21 PM
I wonder if Henin will reconsider missing Miami now that she lost so early in Indian Wells.

Srodgers
Mar 14th, 2010, 09:22 PM
wow so how many WC will actually go to americans, 1?

Noctis
Mar 14th, 2010, 11:20 PM
I wonder if Henin will reconsider missing Miami now that she lost so early in Indian Wells.

She's too scared she wanna get on Clay

young_gunner913
Mar 15th, 2010, 01:02 AM
Dokic getting a MDWC? srsly? i think having her play qualies would do her some good seeing as she cant win a match if her life depended on it.

CrossCourt~Rally
Mar 15th, 2010, 01:28 AM
I seriously think the USTA needs to sport a heavier hand with who gets a WC on all home soil tourneys. :)

hellas719
Mar 15th, 2010, 03:41 AM
I seriously think the USTA needs to sport a heavier hand with who gets a WC on all home soil tourneys. :)

This.

Why complain about American tennis sucking, when they don't give players many chances?

Just Do It
Mar 15th, 2010, 08:10 AM
Dokic getting a MDWC? srsly? i think having her play qualies would do her some good seeing as she cant win a match if her life depended on it.

Go away :rolleyes:

I am also surprised on some WC picks but obviously tournament organizers have a different opinion on who should get it.

jamatthews
Mar 15th, 2010, 11:43 AM

No. It's not like they have a shortage of tournaments. Americans get plenty of opportunities throughout the year.

Elwin.
Mar 15th, 2010, 03:53 PM
No. It's not like they have a shortage of tournaments. Americans get plenty of opportunities throughout the year.

This. :lol:
There are tons of WTA tournaments in the USA

eagles07
Mar 15th, 2010, 04:17 PM
MDWC
Heather Watson :D

@acetennismag on twitter!

Slutiana
Mar 15th, 2010, 04:22 PM
MDWC
Heather Watson :D

@acetennismag on twitter!
Just saw that. I pretty much did a > :banana: for a whole minute. :inlove: Cannot wait!

Noctis
Mar 15th, 2010, 04:24 PM
Oh wow Heather vs Nicole again would be nice.

Iceland
Mar 15th, 2010, 04:33 PM
This. :lol:
There are tons of WTA tournaments in the USA

9 Wta events, many ITFs plus Wc agreement in Roland Garros and Melbourne. Enough said.
Cool opportunity for Watson, I'm curious about her game!

Slutiana
Mar 15th, 2010, 04:47 PM
Oh wow Heather vs Nicole again would be nice.
Heather wouldn't make the mistake of losing a set to her again!

Slutiana
Mar 15th, 2010, 04:50 PM
9 Wta events, many ITFs plus Wc agreement in Roland Garros and Melbourne. Enough said.
Cool opportunity for Watson, I'm curious about her game!
She has a lot of variety. :inlove: Maybe that's why he's gotten really involved with her after seeing that she has talent, he probably realises that he's known (and disliked) for mostly bringing up ballbashers. :lol:

Jorn
Mar 15th, 2010, 06:11 PM
Any news about if Henin will play here with a wildcard?

Keadz
Mar 15th, 2010, 08:42 PM
Would Alicia be considered again?

Buitenzorg
Mar 15th, 2010, 09:45 PM
Any news about if Henin will play here with a wildcard?

Would Alicia be considered again?

I hope Justine & Alicia gets the WC :)

iPatty
Mar 15th, 2010, 09:54 PM

But when they give wild cards to sucky players like Rus and Watson, you have to wonder exactly what is going on in their minds.

Mforensic
Mar 15th, 2010, 10:24 PM
But when they give wild cards to sucky players like Rus and Watson, you have to wonder exactly what is going on in their minds.

Rus and Watson are pretty strong up and comers. Who would you rather have a wc......Elizabeth Lumpkin:lol:

Srodgers
Mar 15th, 2010, 11:44 PM
4 of 11 WCs on home soil have gone to americans this year. So obviously foreigners have gotten their fair chance and will continue too.
As compared to other countries with multiple tournaments, they all go to their countrywoman.

iPatty
Mar 16th, 2010, 12:15 AM
Rus and Watson are pretty strong up and comers. Who would you rather have a wc......Elizabeth Lumpkin:lol:

Rus is a weaponless hack and Watson is just...bleh.

hellas719
Mar 16th, 2010, 03:39 AM
4 of 11 WCs on home soil have gone to americans this year. So obviously foreigners have gotten their fair chance and will continue too.
As compared to other countries with multiple tournaments, they all go to their countrywoman.

This. AO refused to give one to Wickmayer. USO would've given her one :shrug:

Inger67
Mar 16th, 2010, 06:34 AM
Apparently Nicole has retired and will not play Miami! :tape: So that leaves another WC open. And I hope either Sloane gets one for MD or Q, I don't know why she wouldn't. She won 3 matches this week in IW including #67 Lucie Hradecka who looked to be in good form before coming to IW. :shrug: She definitely deserves one.

Slutiana
Mar 16th, 2010, 10:28 AM
I agree with Rus being bad and her technique alone makes me want to vomit. But I don't know why you have always disliked Heather so much.... :lol:

Daniel
Mar 16th, 2010, 11:42 AM
Is Justine getting a WC here?

alwayshingis
Mar 16th, 2010, 04:15 PM
Main Draw WC:
Justine Henin
Anastasia Pivovarova
Arantxa Rus
Jelena Dokic
Michelle Larcher de Brito
Ajla Tomljanovic
Petra Martic
Heather Watson.

Andreas
Mar 16th, 2010, 04:20 PM
Main Draw WC:
Justine Henin
Anastasia Pivovarova
Arantxa Rus
Jelena Dokic
Ajla Tomljanovic
Petra Martic
Heather Watson.

OMG :hearts: Dokic, Tomljanovic, Martic and Pivovarova :worship:

Jorn
Mar 16th, 2010, 04:38 PM
None from USA :eek:

Michelle should be on Q. had been better, imo :)

Just Do It
Mar 16th, 2010, 05:24 PM
Love those WC's :inlove:

pesto
Mar 16th, 2010, 07:33 PM
I'm shocked that there are no American wild cards. I think it's great to have an international flavour to the WC selection, but I would expect at least some to go to home players.

That said, I always like it when WCs go to young players just staring out.

Srodgers
Mar 16th, 2010, 07:42 PM
wow WTF!? No american WC?
4 of 19 WCs this year in US tournaments have gone to americans, so Shut up to those saying americans get plenty of chances :wavey:

jamatthews
Mar 16th, 2010, 09:49 PM
Wow, only 5 MD WCs have been given to Americans so far this year. And only 7 American events left to receive WCs in :sad: (and the RG WC).

Uranium
Mar 16th, 2010, 09:56 PM
Main Draw WC:
Justine Henin
Anastasia Pivovarova
Arantxa Rus
Jelena Dokic
Ajla Tomljanovic
Petra Martic
Heather Watson.

Sloane, Shaughnessy, McHale, Glatch all good to give WCs to but instead Martic and American ITF whores Tomljanovic and Watson:o Sucky WCs:o

simonsaystennis
Mar 16th, 2010, 10:53 PM
wow WTF!? No american WC?
4 of 19 WCs this year in US tournaments have gone to americans, so Shut up to those saying americans get plenty of chances :wavey:

THIS!

I like the choices of Dokic and Henin. Martic (if she's an IMG girl) I agree with. Watson I agree with. She's an IMG/Bollitieri girl and won the junior US Open. Coco got one before and after she won the junior US Open, so it makes sense that Heather got one. Other than that, the choices are major WTFs. The QWCs better be mostly Americans...

I would approve of Tomljanovic, but I'm pretty sure she's an Evert Academy girl. Therefore Christina McHale, Sloane Stephens, or Madison Keys should have gotten one instead. :o

USTennisfan
Mar 16th, 2010, 11:17 PM
Hello.... This is not a USTA tournament. IMG ownes the tournament. They are a for profit business.. They do not have to give the US players anything. You sometimes may see "trades" of wildcards from one tournament owner to another, but just because it is in the US, does not mean that IMG must give the US players a main draw wild card. They are going to take care of thier clients first, and then if something is left over they will consider it. That is the business they are in..

hellas719
Mar 16th, 2010, 11:19 PM
No Americans :o
I agree with srodgers. You guys keep saying that we should shut up since USA girls get many chances, when clearly they don't :sad:

iGOAT
Mar 16th, 2010, 11:29 PM
Nastia :woohoo: but tournament organizers are bastards :rolleyes: if nothing else, fans would MUCH rather see Americans than Tomljanovic or players like that :rolleyes: and then they would sell tickets. Idiots.

iGOAT
Mar 16th, 2010, 11:30 PM
And two Croats :weirdo:?!

USTennisfan
Mar 16th, 2010, 11:45 PM
If you ever go on line and try to buy tickets without being in the nose bleed section you will see that they sell many tickets regardless of who they give wildcards to. They do just fine in ticket sales, and the crowds are huge. Food prices are ridiculus, and they still come. It may make a difference to you, the rabid fan, but to the casual fan, they don't really care. They will promote players with Wildcards that are big names (regardless of agency affiliation) first, and then they will use the Wildcards for thier clients. They will take care of thier own to help those players that indirectly help IMG...

fouc
Mar 17th, 2010, 12:14 AM
Q WC for Sloane or Madison?

Daniel K
Mar 17th, 2010, 01:09 AM
Boo Molik snubbed for Watson and Rus.

Slutiana
Mar 17th, 2010, 01:10 AM
Sloane, Shaughnessy, McHale, Glatch all good to give WCs to but instead Martic and American ITF whores Tomljanovic and Watson:o Sucky WCs:o
:fiery: Gurl, Watson has only played two or three American ITFs in her career! I think Sloane deserves one but Glatch isn't really doing much right now and McHale just isn't very good AT ALL. :lol: I was also a bit annoyed that Madison and a couple of other Americans didn't get one though.

As much as I love Jelena, going on recent results she doesn't really deserve a WC, MLDB too, don't know why Pivovarova got one?

And yeah, apparently Evert totally bums Tomljanovic. I don't think she should've gotten WCs into BOTH events. :weirdo::o

And that Henin chick shouldn't have gotten one either. :rolleyes::lol:

And I think it's pretty much universally agreed that Rus should get on a plane to the Netherlands and not bother coming back. :o

Randy H
Mar 17th, 2010, 01:45 AM
Not terrible choices, although I disagree with Larcher De Brito, Rus, and Pivovarova personally...None of these 3 have made much progress over the past year (Pivovarova's ranking actually regressed in spite of winning a match here last year)...At least Tomljanovic and Martic have made good jumps forward that lead me to believe they can keep moving up. Say what you will about Watson, but she did win the US Open Juniors so I see no harm in giving her some WC's for a while to give her some more senior level experience. Dokic's results of late really don't merit a WC, but she is a well known name so you can't blame organizers for throwing her in anyway.

young_gunner913
Mar 17th, 2010, 02:38 AM
awful. :o

simonsaystennis
Mar 17th, 2010, 02:57 AM
:fiery: Gurl, Watson has only played two or three American ITFs in her career! I think Sloane deserves one but Glatch isn't really doing much right now and McHale just isn't very good AT ALL. :lol: I was also a bit annoyed that Madison and a couple of other Americans didn't get one though.

Have you even seen Christina play? She's still developing her game and is only 17, but ranked just barely outside the top 200. Christina is only 8 days older than Heather, but is ranked quite 200+ spots higher... so I don't really know how you can say she's terrible, yet be ok with Watson getting a WC.

pesto
Mar 17th, 2010, 04:46 AM
Does anyone remember a tournament in which no players from the home nation got wildcards?

I guess it would happen in places like Dubai, but I've never been aware of it in nations with realistically ranked players.

hammerhead
Mar 17th, 2010, 01:01 PM
Bethanie and Alexa would be the next two Americans to get into qualies and they both played well in Indian Wells (Beth won a round over Shvedova and Alexa lost 6-4 in 3rd set to an in form Baltacha who was #1 seed in qualies plus beat #10 Na Li).

Wonder if either will get a QWC? :rolleyes:

Freakan
Mar 17th, 2010, 04:12 PM
Does anyone remember a tournament in which no players from the home nation got wildcards?

I guess it would happen in places like Dubai, but I've never been aware of it in nations with realistically ranked players.

Yeah, I do. One week before IW there was Monterrey without any WCs to home players :lol: They have only 5 ranked players though but 4 of them are teenagers:p

Slutiana
Mar 17th, 2010, 06:34 PM
Have you even seen Christina play? She's still developing her game and is only 17, but ranked just barely outside the top 200. Christina is only 8 days older than Heather, but is ranked quite 200+ spots higher... so I don't really know how you can say she's terrible, yet be ok with Watson getting a WC.
Yes i've seen Christina play a few times now and every time I have been completely underwhelmed by her game. I mean she's not terrible, no, but she's not... Anything. I mean her movement strokes and practically everything about her game is average at best, and worst of all her technique is really bad. I'm sure she will improve as a player but I just don't see where - she's not big/tall and strong, she's not fast and athletic, she doesn't have great hands or variety, she doesn't seem to have very good court sense... Maybe i'm missing something? Because honestly I don't have anything against the girl, good luck with her and i'll be fine with it if she does well but I just don't even know if she could get into the top 50. :shrug:

Yes they are the same age and Heather is much lower but Heather is very focussed on her studies and had been planning to go to a US uni before the US Open and had actually only played about 3 tournies before it. She may be 17 but she has the senior experience of a 15 year old. :shrug: Whereas Christina has been playing tour events since 07 so there is no point comparing their careers to date.. I've seen Heather too and, especially recently, I found her just so much more talented and had a lot more things going for her in her game. :shrug:

hammerhead
Mar 17th, 2010, 09:39 PM
^ Agree. McHale's game strikes me as very vanilla. Would make an excellent college player. Maybe she will surprise us.

Ballbasher
Mar 17th, 2010, 10:06 PM
Same here. Before I had seen Christina, she seemed promising, but once I saw her, I was certainly not impressed and Slutiana summed it up very well. :shrug: But Ih vae yet to see Watson, so I can't say anything about that last point yet.

berlin-cro
Mar 17th, 2010, 10:45 PM
tomljanovic and martic WC is well deserved...i know its money wise also those WC...but still they deserved it... :)
hope ajla will pass at least one round...cause afterall she is future of female tennis

iGOAT
Mar 18th, 2010, 04:29 AM
Yes i've seen Christina play a few times now and every time I have been completely underwhelmed by her game. I mean she's not terrible, no, but she's not... Anything. I mean her movement strokes and practically everything about her game is average at best, and worst of all her technique is really bad. I'm sure she will improve as a player but I just don't see where - she's not big/tall and strong, she's not fast and athletic, she doesn't have great hands or variety, she doesn't seem to have very good court sense... Maybe i'm missing something? Because honestly I don't have anything against the girl, good luck with her and i'll be fine with it if she does well but I just don't even know if she could get into the top 50. :shrug:

Yes they are the same age and Heather is much lower but Heather is very focussed on her studies and had been planning to go to a US uni before the US Open and had actually only played about 3 tournies before it. She may be 17 but she has the senior experience of a 15 year old. :shrug: Whereas Christina has been playing tour events since 07 so there is no point comparing their careers to date.. I've seen Heather too and, especially recently, I found her just so much more talented and had a lot more things going for her in her game. :shrug:
I agree 100% and I try to cheer for all the Americans. Also, Christina has a BAD attitude the three times I saw her :tape: whereas Heather had a very good one when I saw her at the Open last year.

But still, very stupid no Americans got wildcards :mad:.

berlin-cro
Mar 18th, 2010, 11:05 AM
well thats the thing i love about miami and indian wells...
girls are getting wildcards not because of their nationality but their biographies or future potential ...
and not like in britain or other tournaments...where all third class girls get WCs and great players need to go through qualies

jusluvinjrtennis
Mar 18th, 2010, 05:58 PM
Does anyone know when the qualifying wildcards will be announced?

Slutiana
Mar 18th, 2010, 06:22 PM
I agree 100% and I try to cheer for all the Americans. Also, Christina has a BAD attitude the three times I saw her :tape: whereas Heather had a very good one when I saw her at the Open last year.

But still, very stupid no Americans got wildcards :mad:.
Yeah, I was hoping Keys and Sloane would get ones at least. :sad: Hopefully the QWCs will be good this time.

Noctis
Mar 18th, 2010, 06:49 PM
Give one to Madison you silly people

iGOAT
Mar 18th, 2010, 11:10 PM
girls are getting wildcards not because of their nationality but their biographies or future potential ...
and not like in britain or other tournaments...where all third class girls get WCs and great players need to go through qualies
It's not for talent though :weirdo: it's for girls managed by IMG :rolleyes:.

hellas719
Mar 19th, 2010, 03:02 AM

As if there are no good up-and-coming Americans :spit:

hammerhead
Mar 19th, 2010, 05:28 PM
The USTA gets a couple of the Miami QWCs so I am sure there were be a couple of up-and-coming Americans in that draw.
:)

hammerhead
Mar 19th, 2010, 10:55 PM
Just heard Christina McHale and Sloane Stephens got QWCs (through USTA of course). So there's two Americans !