PDA

View Full Version : Marie Osmond's Son Commits Suicide

CanIGetAWhat
Feb 28th, 2010, 02:31 PM
Marie Osmond's Son Commits Suicide

By Stephen M. Silverman and Mike Fleeman
Update
Saturday February 27, 2010 02:30 PM EST
http://img2.timeinc.net/people/i/2007/specials/fall_tv/blog/071126/marie_osmond1_180x240.jpg Marie Osmond

Marie Osmond's teenaged son, Michael Blosil, has killed himself by leaping to his death around 9 p.m. Friday in Los Angeles, reports (http://www.etonline.com/news/2010/02/84476/index.html) Entertainment Tonight, which quotes Marie's brother, Donny Osmond, as saying, "Please pray for my sister and her family."

Through her rep, Marie Osmond released a statement Saturday. It says, “My family and I are devastated and in deep shock by the tragic loss of our dear Michael and ask that everyone respect our privacy during this difficult time.”

According to ET, Michael left a note explaining he intended to end his life after a lengthy battle with severe depression that left him, he said, feeling as if he had no friends and could never fit in.

In 2007, Michael, then 16, entered a rehab facility (http://tvwatch.people.com/2007/11/14/marie-osmonds-son-michael-in-rehab/). His mother said at the time, "My son Michael is an amazing young man, shown through his courage in facing his issues. As his mother, I couldn’t be more proud of him."

The reason for the visit to rehab was never disclosed. Michael is one of eight children Osmond has raised with ex-husband Brian Blosil.

By March 2009, Marie told PEOPLE that Michael seemed to be turning his life around (http://www.people.com/people/article/0,,20269002,00.html). He was finishing up his last year of high school while living with his mom in Las Vegas, where she and Donny headline a show.

"I couldn't be more proud of him," Marie said at the time. "He's got a 3.9 GPA in high school. He's looking at scholarships to some wonderful colleges."

A rep for Donny and Marie Osmond confirmed to PEOPLE that the show at the Flamingo Hotel was canceled Saturday night. It is being determined how long the hiatus will remain in effect.

Marie Osmond, one of nine Utah-bred Osmond siblings, began performing with her brothers at age 3. She has been outspoken (http://www.people.com/people/archive/article/0,,20170842,00.html) about the trials of her own life in the spotlight.

In her 2001 memoir Behind the Smile, she detailed her battle with postpartum depression following the birth of her son Matthew. She also revealed that she had been sexually abused as a child.

She did not identify her abusers but said they were not family members.

In 2006, Marie's rep denied (http://www.people.com/people/article/0,,1222448,00.html) that the singer had tried to commit suicide, attributing reports about Osmond to the postpartum she suffered.

• With reporting by MARK GRAY and BLAINE ZUCKERMAN

Sir Stefwhit
Feb 28th, 2010, 03:33 PM
How very sad, I shall pray for her and her family... nothing sadder than suicide.

Milito22
Feb 28th, 2010, 03:49 PM
sad

LucyFromLondon
Feb 28th, 2010, 04:39 PM
Very, very sad. My heart goes out to Marie and her family.

tenn_ace
Feb 28th, 2010, 04:46 PM
what is it with these celebrities/celebrities children committing suicides lately? yes the life is tough sometimes, but they need to suck it up and fight the issus they are having. there are millions of people are living much worse life then these spoiled people

pepaw
Feb 28th, 2010, 05:55 PM
what is it with these celebrities/celebrities children committing suicides lately? yes the life is tough sometimes, but they need to suck it up and fight the issus they are having. there are millions of people are living much worse life then these spoiled people

:unsure: :help:

moby
Feb 28th, 2010, 06:01 PM
what is it with these celebrities/celebrities children committing suicides lately? yes the life is tough sometimes, but they need to suck it up and fight the issus they are having. there are millions of people are living much worse life then these spoiled peopleHe was suffering from depression.

Vanity Bonfire
Feb 28th, 2010, 06:15 PM

In this case, being the son of Marie Osmond was probably a contribution to his suicide. Having seven siblings and half-siblings and a mother who battled with depression herself can't have been good for him. The poor kid sounded like he had a miserable existence - rehab at 16 and constant depression. RIP.

Chrissie-fan
Feb 28th, 2010, 06:20 PM
My heart goes out to Marie. I never cared for her music, but she always seemed to be a classy lady to me. :hug:

Roookie
Feb 28th, 2010, 07:23 PM
What a sad story. Only 16 years old.

Vanity Bonfire
Feb 28th, 2010, 07:55 PM
What a sad story. Only 16 years old.

:secret: 18.

tenn_ace
Feb 28th, 2010, 08:32 PM
He was suffering from depression.

I'm sure there are millions of people outthere who have no access to any medical help, some basic food in addition to having a depression. :shrug:

moby
Feb 28th, 2010, 08:41 PM
I'm sure there are millions of people outthere who have no access to any medical help, some basic food in addition to having a depression. :shrug:A depressive mind can spin anything in a bad way. If you point that out to a person with depression, he'll just be even more guilty and feel even worse. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if that thought had passed through his mind... I just think you don't really get what depression is. Sometimes it's actually a chemical imbalance in the mind. It's a legitimate illness, and it doesn't matter if the sufferer is rich, poor, intelligent, stupid, whatever.

CrossCourt~Rally
Feb 28th, 2010, 08:46 PM
A big :hug: to Maria,her family and everyone close to him. Such a shame anyones life has to come to this :sad:.

tenn_ace
Feb 28th, 2010, 09:02 PM
A depressive mind can spin anything in a bad way. If you point that out to a person with depression, he'll just be even more guilty and feel even worse. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if that thought had passed through his mind... I just think you don't really get what depression is. Sometimes it's actually a chemical imbalance in the mind. It's a legitimate illness, and it doesn't matter if the sufferer is rich, poor, intelligent, stupid, whatever.

Heard all that and never bought it. A great way for pharmaceutical companies to sell these drugs and then get these poor people get hooked for life. No wonder they never get off these drugs.

pierce85
Feb 28th, 2010, 09:16 PM

you are so wrong on so many levels...for your information every human being is a unique entity and has to overcome his own personal problems.they may seem trivial to you comparing them to world hunger or AIDS but for them they might be huge.I'm sure you don't live your everyday life thinking always about how difficult life is for other people...:rolleyes:
I get so outraged with people easily expressing opinions when they are not part of the problem.I may be sitting in front of my pc,eating a croissant and write the most heart-breaking speech about world hunger,but i wouldn't have a clue because i haven't experienced such tragic circumstances.

Certinfy
Feb 28th, 2010, 10:00 PM
Wow :sad:

*JR*
Feb 28th, 2010, 10:51 PM
I'm so sorry, Marie. :sad:

-3fqJkTeDNU

Infiniti2001
Feb 28th, 2010, 11:01 PM
Heard all that and never bought it. A great way for pharmaceutical companies to sell these drugs and then get these poor people get hooked for life. No wonder they never get off these drugs.

tenn_ace, have you ever lived with or know someone with severe depression? Let me tell you it's no picnic. I can understand you being against the pharmaceutical companies, but many of these severly ill people could not survive without these drugs---and sometimes the medications will not do sqaurt for them. We only hear about celebrities and their depression , however there are millions of regular folk whose lives are paralyzed by it. The drugs help to control depression, but it cannot be stopped. These people need our sympathy and understand if anything :shrug:

wta_zuperfann
Mar 1st, 2010, 02:40 AM
My heartfelt condolences to Marie and her family.

CoryAnnAvants#1
Mar 1st, 2010, 03:16 AM
If you're a diabetic, you take insulin. If you're clinically depressed, you take anti-depression medication. Depression is a chemical imbalance. This isn't a funk or going into a mood. We're talking about not being able to get out of bed...the type of illness Marie's son had was probably crippling.

Super Dave
Mar 1st, 2010, 01:56 PM
My heartfelt condolences to Marie and her family.

Mine also. :sad: