PDA

View Full Version : How do You Study For Multiple Choice Exams?

Crazy Canuck
Oct 4th, 2002, 08:07 AM
Of course I know the general ideas....

1 - Try to answer without seeing the selections first
2 - If your answer isn't there, rule out the ridiculous

But any general pointers?

I don't mind math MC because I'm using numbers which make perfect sense - numbers are the only absolute truth afterall ;)

But I'm taking some social science (Criminology, Pyschology) - I haven't taken a course like that since i was in grade ten.

I just no idea how to study for these courses :eek:

TS
Oct 4th, 2002, 08:10 AM
Neither do I and Im in my final year :eek: ;)

I either download previous exam papers off our library's site and look at what they asked in previous years...or I just focus on certain topics that I am positive will be on there! You're right...its a process of elimination with MC exams...and if all esle fails, go for the "all of the above" answer ;)

Jetta
Oct 4th, 2002, 08:10 AM
multiple choice exams are probably the easiest exams, since really basically your answers are right in front of you, all you have to do figure out which one it is. Anyhoo.......What I do with multiple choice exams is.......make up multiple choice questions yourself based on lectures and/or the chapters in the textbook. It is time-consuming, but it worked for me.

Poe
Oct 4th, 2002, 08:12 AM
eeny meeny miny mo :sad:

TS
Oct 4th, 2002, 08:12 AM
You're right Alexis that is a good method....but on top of everything else to study, it just takes too long and I cant be bothered...

But I disagree with you...I much prefer written examinations because you spin shit with words ;) MC exams are tricky little things because most of the answers are so damn silmilar :( hehe

Jetta
Oct 4th, 2002, 08:13 AM
But psychology.......usually most of the terms I think are self-explanatory.....so I never studied for it anyways when I was in college. Just remember what you need to remember and take the MC.

Jetta
Oct 4th, 2002, 08:14 AM
Originally posted by Poe
eeny meeny miny mo :sad:

lmao! :D

But I disagree with you...I much prefer written examinations because you spin shit with words MC exams are tricky little things because most of the answers are so damn silmilar hehe

Oh I do agree with you there. I prefer written exams too. The worst MC questions are the ones that are:

(a) blah
(b) blah blah
(c) blah blah
(d) all of the above

or the other dreaded one:

I. lalalllalalaala
II. lalababadada
III. omg whatever

(a) I only
(b) I and II
(c) I, II, and III

TS
Oct 4th, 2002, 08:15 AM
Well psychology is my major and it doesnt get any easier ;)

The thing is, most of the questions they ask have answers that could *all* be right :o You feel like making up your own answer "Both B & C" lol

But just study study study :angel:

Poe
Oct 4th, 2002, 08:16 AM
III. omg whatever

that would be my answer for everything :D

Crazy Canuck
Oct 4th, 2002, 08:17 AM
lol @ Terry - Well up untill now, I've spent the past 4-5 years taking all science and math courses. I always thought that i liked them best. But last year I realized that science didn't interest me. I can do it, it just bores me.

I'm keeping math, if only cause I'm good at it. That, and I think the combo of psych and stats is a good one.

Alexis - Thanks... I will keep that in mind next time that I have more time to study (and don't have 300 pages of crim. reading to learn over the next 7 days, and 4 chapters of statistics in 5 days).

MC are the easiest for me in a class like Math. But I'm not used to having to answer questions with words :D I have no idea what sort of stuff they will ask :confused:

Poe
while snapping my bubble gum of course

Jetta
psychology professors make up psychology exams......

so I guess they WOULD want to play with your minds a bit.

:angel:

Crazy Canuck
Oct 4th, 2002, 08:19 AM
Not studying isn't an option this semester ;)

Someone was bad last year, and if someone doesn't get her average up, someone isn't getting anymore student loans :angel:

That, and somebody would like to keep her graduate study and/or law school doors open :o

TS
Oct 4th, 2002, 08:21 AM
Originally posted by Alexis

(a) blah
(b) blah blah
(c) blah blah
(d) all of the above

lol, as I said...when in doubt go "D" all of the above :angel:

Or my methodology..."Hmm...havent used "C" in a while" ;)

Becca...agreed re stats. Back in my first year, I was like "What the hell do I need stats for?" not knowing that it was vital in research....and now that I have big research projects due I realise that i should have paid more attention in my stats lectures :sad: :o

Crazy Canuck
Oct 4th, 2002, 08:21 AM
Don't get me wrong..

None of my classes are remotely difficult yet.

They are all first year courses, aside from Stats.

Its just that i'm not used to learning this way ;) I'm used to solving problems, not reading reading reading.

I prefer things now, just a big change!

Jetta
Oct 4th, 2002, 08:23 AM
Originally posted by Iva's #1 Fan

lol, as I said...when in doubt go "D" all of the above :angel:

Or my methodology..."Hmm...havent used "C" in a while" ;)

Yeah that's what I do. :D

And if I can't think of the answer to the question, I always choose C.......somehow most of the time, C is the answer. :D

TS
Oct 4th, 2002, 08:25 AM
Long live "C" eh? :D

See Becca...you are getting expert advice here ;)

Jetta
Oct 4th, 2002, 08:26 AM
Oh yeah, and Becca, don't expect MC questions as:

What is the Oedipus Complex

and then give you definition choices :D

Most of the questions are probably going to be scenerio questions, applied knowledge of the materials.

Crazy Canuck
Oct 4th, 2002, 08:36 AM
Damn application :sad: Who needs it ;)

"When in doubt, pick C"

I knew that one, should have included it in my list :o

irma
Oct 4th, 2002, 08:41 AM
I just learn my stuf and when I have the chance I practise but I will be more relaxed since I find open questions much worse :eek:
we now get it 50/50 next month!

Maajken
Oct 4th, 2002, 09:15 AM
Ohh i love MC exams, well when there's no what we call "guess correction", which means they subtract points for every wrong answer :o

When you see the answers...first try to remember what you read in your books that has anything to do with the question. If that doesnt work..think logical and go for the least obvious answer ;). Lastly if you still havent got a clue..go with option C :D

Kiwi_Boy
Oct 4th, 2002, 10:46 AM
if you do study for these tests it makes it soooo easy,but still not any more fun :),if you get stuck on a question at least you have a 1/3 chance:)

Scotso
Oct 4th, 2002, 10:50 AM
What's studying? :confused:

Kiwi_Boy
Oct 4th, 2002, 10:51 AM
hmmm i think its opening a text book,then getting totaly side tracked and watching an infomercial on amazing ab's:)

The Vampiress
Oct 4th, 2002, 10:55 AM
You just go from what your insticts go to in the exam.

Obviously you study for it ;) and then what I do is I flick of the answers that I know are defintly not needed. Then the others I look at and see what one fits best :)