PDA

View Full Version : Who is a better actress? Vivien Leigh or Katharine Hepburn?

samsam4087
Feb 27th, 2010, 01:07 PM
Who is a better actress? Vivien Leigh or Katharine Hepburn?

:confused::confused::confused:

http://ysfine.com/princeton/leigh.jpg

http://www.born-today.com/btpix/hepburn_katharine2.jpg

Sam L
Feb 27th, 2010, 01:12 PM
I like Vivien Leigh better so I voted for her.

It's hard to judge properly because Vivien Leigh made so few films especially compared to Katharine Hepburn. And let's face it, not a lot of people here nor anywhere really ever saw either on stage.

Vivien much preferred theatre work and concentrated on that even after she won her Oscars.

That's why you can't really judge properly. And I can tell you right now that Katharine Hepburn will win this poll easily.

EDIT: Actually doing my maths, there are probably a lot of old people who've seen both on stage but I'm not sure if there'd be many here or on the internet. :lol:

Nacho
Feb 27th, 2010, 01:16 PM
Katharine

tommyk75
Feb 27th, 2010, 03:39 PM
Wow, this is a poll I never expected to see... Anyhow, I've only seen two of Leigh's films (Gone With the Wind & Waterloo Bridge) and one of Hepburn's (Philadelphia Story), so I'm not really qualified to judge, but based on those movies, I'll go with Vivien. Waterloo Bridge was a beautiful heartbreaker of a film, and Vivien was amazing.

Barrie_Dude
Feb 27th, 2010, 04:48 PM
Hepburn, though both were very good

The Dawntreader
Feb 27th, 2010, 06:07 PM
Vivien Leigh could've been one of the greatest actors of all time. Her Blanche Dubois is one of the all-time great performances.

Hepburn was always in control of her career though, and every performance was measured and memorable.

hurricanejeanne
Feb 27th, 2010, 06:19 PM
Oh god! I have to go with Katharine on this. The Lion in Winter is :worship:

Barrie_Dude
Feb 27th, 2010, 06:33 PM
Vivien Leigh could've been one of the greatest actors of all time. Her Blanche Dubois is one of the all-time great performances.

Hepburn was always in control of her career though, and every performance was measured and memorable.
Scarlett Ohara was not bad either!

Barrie_Dude
Feb 27th, 2010, 06:34 PM
Oh god! I have to go with Katharine on this. The Lion in Winter is :worship:
That is among my favorite movies......

Barrie_Dude
Feb 27th, 2010, 06:35 PM
Katherine in Lion In Winter pictured with a young Anthony Hopkins

http://www.goodhousekeeping.com/cm/goodhousekeeping/images/Lion-in-Winter-fb.jpg

Barrie_Dude
Feb 27th, 2010, 06:37 PM
Viven with Marlon Brandon in Streetcar:

http://www.doctormacro1.info/Images/Brando,%20Marlon/Annex/Annex%20-%20Brando,%20Marlon%20(A%20Streetcar%20Named%20Des ire)_03.jpg

hurricanejeanne
Feb 27th, 2010, 07:23 PM
Katherine in Lion In Winter pictured with a young Anthony Hopkins

http://www.goodhousekeeping.com/cm/goodhousekeeping/images/Lion-in-Winter-fb.jpg

:worship:
"I even made poor Louis take me on Crusade. How's that for blasphemy. I dressed my maids as Amazons and rode bare-breasted halfway to Damascus. Louis had a seizure and I damn near died of windburn... but the troops were dazzled."

delicatecutter
Feb 27th, 2010, 07:31 PM
I live for A Streetcar Named Desire. :inlove:

CrossCourt~Rally
Feb 27th, 2010, 09:35 PM
Kathy :hearts:

*JR*
Feb 27th, 2010, 11:33 PM
Kathy :hearts:
Actually she was known as Kate. ;)

h7__WVG7vM8 :worship:

Brena
Feb 28th, 2010, 01:41 AM
oh noes, another difficult choice!
I personally love Katharine Hepburn more (well, not only more than Vivien but more than any other actress with the possible exception of Diana Rigg :)) but I tend to agree with the poster who noted that Leigh's workwas mainly theatrical so we don't have an insight in her full scope. Also, having come from British theatre, she was a quite different sort of actress from Hepburn who made her career in Hollywood movies. I suppose my answer would be similar to the one I gave in the Meryl Streep vs. K.Heppburn poll - from what I saw of Leigh, I think she was more talented, but Katharine Hepburn's personality made her every role so compelling that it didn't really matter if she had true acting talent or not. No one else could have made Eleanor of Aquitaine or Tracy Lord such memorable chaarcters. :inlove:

samsam4087
Feb 28th, 2010, 01:48 AM
oh noes, another difficult choice!
I personally love Katharine Hepburn more (well, not only more than Vivien but more than any other actress with the possible exception of Diana Rigg :)) but I tend to agree with the poster who noted that Leigh's workwas mainly theatrical so we don't have an insight in her full scope. Also, having come from British theatre, she was a quite different sort of actress from Hepburn who made her career in Hollywood movies. I suppose my answer would be similar to the one I gave in the Meryl Streep vs. K.Heppburn poll - from what I saw of Leigh, I think she was more talented, but Katharine Hepburn's personality made her every role so compelling that it didn't really matter if she had true acting talent or not. No one else could have made Eleanor of Aquitaine or Tracy Lord such memorable chaarcters. :inlove:

yes, well said.

:worship::worship::worship:

PlayByPlay
Feb 28th, 2010, 02:13 AM

h7__WVG7vM8 :worship:

Katherine Hepburn I must say is the better actress. I mean she told her in a classy way to get lost.

Mrs. Peel
Feb 28th, 2010, 02:24 AM
Vivien Leigh :hearts:

Blanche Dubois :worship:

faboozadoo15
Feb 28th, 2010, 02:40 AM
I like Vivien more. They are two of the alltime greats of their craft, however.

Leigh's Blanche and Scarlet are right up there with Streep's Sophie.

Shvedbarilescu
Feb 28th, 2010, 02:58 AM
I'd go with Vivien Leigh as I regard Katherine Hepburn as being way overrated.

I have always found her terribly affected frankly. I often think how much better a movie Bringing Up Baby would have been had they cast an actress with real natural comedic zest like Carole Lombard or Irene Dunne. There were much better actresses around in the 30s than Katherine Hepburn. Barbara Stanwyck, Bette Davis, Claudette Colbert, Marlene Dietrich and Sylvia Sidney were all much better actresses and to be honest I find actresses like Myrna Loy and Jean Arthur far more convincing and believable than Hepburn as well.

Mateo Mathieu
Feb 28th, 2010, 05:49 AM
Katharine Hepburn :worship:

LucyFromLondon
Feb 28th, 2010, 05:44 PM
I have only seen bits of both's films on TCM. I didn't like Hepburn's voice and the style of acting back then now seems very strange. I saw bits of Gone With The Wind which is too long and old fashioned for me and I don't like black and white films. I don't think actors act like that these days - I think audience would leave the cinema! Of course that's what will happen in 50 years time with regard to today's films and actors!

Barrie_Dude
Feb 28th, 2010, 05:51 PM

h7__WVG7vM8 :worship:Dear God, I love that woman! :worship::worship::worship::worship:

Barrie_Dude
Feb 28th, 2010, 05:53 PM
Katherine Hepburn I must say is the better actress. I mean she told her in a classy way to get lost.
More like she told her in a classy and effective way to F--- Off! :devil: