PDA

View Full Version : Michelle Kwan, please come back

barboza
Feb 27th, 2010, 11:51 AM
Michelle Kwan is the true Olympic champion... Watching Kim Yu-na yesterday didn't evoke anything out of me. In fact, it's a shame that Michelle isn't skating as she would blow the competition out of the water!

Crazy Canuck
Feb 27th, 2010, 12:05 PM
This is just so sad for you.

hdfb
Feb 27th, 2010, 12:08 PM
Gays and their tragics. :inlove:

Crazy Canuck
Feb 27th, 2010, 12:16 PM
Gays and their tragics. :inlove:
Really?

RFSTB
Feb 27th, 2010, 01:48 PM
Michelle has the worst timing. First if the Olympics wasn't held in '94 she would've won in '96. Then she had the misfortune of having to be in 2 Olympics where the only 2 underage prepubescent freaks were grandfathered in(which is complete bullshit), then she had to be in the pre-CoP era. If CoP were around earlier she would've won the '98 Olympics hands down.

I'm not as bitter as I once was :lol:. But because of what happened in the '98 and '02 Olympics, the Olympic gold has completely lost its luster for me, and I can never take this sport seriously again. This is why I just stick to watching tennis these days. 4 grand slams in 1 year, vs. 1 every 4 years, and NO STINKING JUDGES!!

But Michelle fans should take comfort in the fact that she is and always will be the ratings Kween in America. Thursday night's live coverage of the ladies final is 50% lower in ratings than the 2002 ladies final! It's even 15% lower than Torino's tape delayed coverage. Skating is dead in the US. If Michelle still wants to fulfill her and all her fans' dream and win an Olympic gold, she should try Curling!:lol:

These days, when I miss skating, I watch Blades of Glory, now that's where the real skating is! ;)

cellophane
Feb 27th, 2010, 01:49 PM
I wish she would come back... but it's not going to happen.

Yu-Na does nothing for me... she actually looks juniorish to me :shrug:

Ellery
Feb 27th, 2010, 01:49 PM
Irina please come back :drool:

égalité
Feb 27th, 2010, 04:07 PM
Kim Yu-Na was absolutely divine. I think you're probably going to be overly-critical of anyone not named Michelle Kwan. :rolleyes:

Crazy Canuck
Feb 27th, 2010, 04:59 PM
I understand not loving Kim, but... juniorish??

delicatecutter
Feb 27th, 2010, 05:03 PM
Maria please come back! I don't care if you're almost 40. Also please Diva Navka!! :worship:

Matt01
Feb 27th, 2010, 05:04 PM
Michelle Kwan is the true Olympic champion... Watching Kim Yu-na yesterday didn't evoke anything out of me. In fact, it's a shame that Michelle isn't skating as she would blow the competition out of the water!

:help:

cellophane
Feb 27th, 2010, 07:00 PM
I understand not loving Kim, but... juniorish??

OK, maybe not juniorish, but I find her presentation to be less mature than say Kwan for example. :shrug:

PatrickRyan
Feb 27th, 2010, 07:04 PM
Agreed, I love watching Michelle skate :yeah:

Apoleb
Feb 27th, 2010, 07:10 PM
:shrug: It doesn't surprise me that she failed to win an OG. She was never head and shoulders above her field, particularly technically, and she lost a couple of other competitions to Lipinski. She was very consistent and that reflected in her career (a couple of her WC titles were tantalizingly close). Had great presentation, but it's sooo overrated, cause so many people act like she was the only one with any artistic flair (or even the most), which I don't think she was. She knew how to "connect" to the audience hence her popularity (even though it doesn't mean much to me), and that is a nice quality, but is far from being the end-of-it-all of artistry. But people will feign over emo performances with "passion".

As for Yu-Na, I it's really mostly bitter Kwan fans who are deriding her. If you're concerned about the quality of skating, she should be your least of your worries, because she's probably the only one in her field with any flair (only Miari is close to her), especially in comparison to her "rival", Asada, who's pretty much a jumping/spinning/spiraling machine. :help: I don't think she's up there with Kwan artistically, but she certainly has her qualities, particularly her ability to connect with the music, her very soft edges and some of the best-looking jumps; and at least she's performing very well constructed programs. Is she getting overhyped? Yeah, she is. Especially that her spins and spirals need a lot of work.

cellophane
Feb 27th, 2010, 07:12 PM
Not even a Kwan fan here... just think skating is a lot less interesting without her :shrug:

LoveFifteen
Feb 27th, 2010, 07:30 PM
Kim Yu-Na was absolutely divine. I think you're probably going to be overly-critical of anyone not named Michelle Kwan. :rolleyes:

+1

shap_half
Feb 27th, 2010, 07:33 PM
:shrug: It doesn't surprise me that she failed to win an OG. She was never head and shoulders above her field, particularly technically, and she lost a couple of other competitions to Lipinski. She was very consistent and that reflected in her career (a couple of her WC titles were tantalizingly close). Had great presentation, but it's sooo overrated, cause so many people act like she was the only one with any artistic flair (or even the most), which I don't think she was. She knew how to "connect" to the audience hence her popularity (even though it doesn't mean much to me), and that is a nice quality, but is far from being the end-of-it-all of artistry. But people will feign over emo performances with "passion".

As for Yu-Na, I it's really mostly bitter Kwan fans who are deriding her. If you're concerned about the quality of skating, she should be your least of your worries, because she's probably the only one in her field with any flair (only Miari is close to her), especially in comparison to her "rival", Asada, who's pretty much a jumping/spinning/spiraling machine. :help: I don't think she's up there with Kwan artistically, but she certainly has her qualities, particularly her ability to connect with the music, her very soft edges and some of the best-looking jumps; and at least she's performing very well constructed programs. Is she getting overhyped? Yeah, she is. Especially that her spins and spirals need a lot of work.

Yu-Na does all the technical jumping stuff well, but there seems to be a disconnect there. I've not watched a lot of skating since the 06 Olympics, but I saw YouTube videos of Yu-Na at worlds and again a couple of days ago. She can certainly jump with the best of them, and she is competent with the rest, but really her skating is boring.

I don't think Michelle is the only one with artistic flair. Far from it. Most of her contemporaries especially the likes of Maria Butyrskaya, Sasha Cohen, Angela Nikodinov and Fumie Suguri had their own kind of artistry that was always beautiful to watch. But what separates Michelle from the rest was her ability to infuse so much heartfelt emotion into her skating that spectacularly resonated with the audience. Everyone sees her giving her all on the ice. And I don't even need that from the girls skating now. I just want to see a complete program that pays close attention to every detail outside of jumps. The women's figure skating landscape has gotten so incredibly obsessed with who can jump the biggest, most difficult tricks, which is amazing to see. Seeing Asada do trip Axel combos is great, but what happens the rest of the time is boring and pointless.

Apoleb
Feb 27th, 2010, 07:45 PM
Yu-Na does all the technical jumping stuff well, but there seems to be a disconnect there. I've not watched a lot of skating since the 06 Olympics, but I saw YouTube videos of Yu-Na at worlds and again a couple of days ago. She can certainly jump with the best of them, and she is competent with the rest, but really her skating is boring.

I just want to see a complete program that pays close attention to every detail outside of jumps. The women's figure skating landscape has gotten so incredibly obsessed with who can jump the biggest, most difficult tricks, which is amazing to see. Seeing Asada do trip Axel combos is great, but what happens the rest of the time is boring and pointless.

But that's what separates Yu-Na from her field. She isn't all about jumping. There's something missing in her presentation, but there's no doubt she has a great ear to the music and knows how to interpret it . Her skating quality is also excellent, with incredibly soft edges. The point I was making about her jumps, is that even her jumps have an artistic quality to them. It's not simply that they have a lot of height and are landed well, but are landed with a great edge and smoothness. I preferred her 09 performances to this year. The SP was great.

I don't think Michelle is the only one with artistic flair. Far from it. Most of her contemporaries especially the likes of Maria Butyrskaya, Sasha Cohen, Angela Nikodinov and Fumie Suguri had their own kind of artistry that was always beautiful to watch. But what separates Michelle from the rest was her ability to infuse so much heartfelt emotion into her skating that spectacularly resonated with the audience. Everyone sees her giving her all on the ice. And I don't even need that from the girls skating now.

Yeah, but personally, that doesn't really work me. I don't really care that much about "heartfelt" emotion, if it's not embedded in a deeper form of interpretation, and Kwan's programs didn't always have that. For example, I loved Maria's always stern facial expression. She expressed herself in images on the ice. It's just the more classical Russian school, I believe, which I prefer.

Vanity Bonfire
Feb 27th, 2010, 07:47 PM
Michelle has the worst timing. First if the Olympics wasn't held in '94 she would've won in '96. Then she had the misfortune of having to be in 2 Olympics where the only 2 underage prepubescent freaks were grandfathered in(which is complete bullshit), then she had to be in the pre-CoP era. If CoP were around earlier she would've won the '98 Olympics hands down.

Lipinski landed seven triples in her FP. I agree about the timing issue, though.

Right now, I think figure skating is in a rough patch as to what it was eight to ten years ago in all of the disciplines. Back then, we had Yagudin, Kwan, Butyrskaya, Slutskaya, Berezhnaya and Sikharulidze, Anissina and Peizerat, Suguri and Totmianina and Marinin (okay, I know that they were more recent) and now the skaters we have really can't compare.

Kim is very good. Is she as good as the judges mark her out to be? Of course not - but she's still consistently head-and-shoulders above the rest of them.

RFSTB
Feb 27th, 2010, 09:27 PM
What I miss the most about Michelle is the floating quality of her skating. She seems to float across the ice, doing everything with such ease and flow, making the other skaters look heavy and clumsy. I attribute that to her superb edging and basic skating skills. Have not seen that in any other skater, not even Yuna Kim, as good as she is.

I also loved her command of the ice, the immense confidence she showed everytime she stepped on the ice, as if she owned it, and she usually did. Most skaters look scared to death before their music starts, like Sasha.:lol:

Love her or hate her, she made skating interesting. The whole skating universe revolved around her for a decade. It'll be a long time before we see another skater of her stature again.

Oh well. All good things must come to an end. :shrug:

miffedmax
Feb 27th, 2010, 10:02 PM
Fuck 'em all. Surya Bonaly. Fucking BACK FLIPS. On fucking SKATES.

Artistic impression my ass. Go to the fucking ballet if you want art.

Paneru
Feb 27th, 2010, 10:05 PM
I feel you!

IGmlMmMs4B4

Danči Dementia
Feb 27th, 2010, 10:12 PM

she is so NOT the true Olympic champion, that is cristal clear.

but yeah figure skating needs someone that can actually wake emotions in the people, its just sad that neither of the medalist moved something in someone :shrug:

female figure skating used to be so exiting and beautiful to watch, now its not even that exiting anymore and the word beautiful had just dissapeared, this time only Lepisto´s and Nagasu´s performances made me feel something and none of them got a medal.

male figure skating used to be so exiting with the incredible jumps and all of that and now the oympic champion didn´t do a single quad:rolleyes: and was just there moving his arms like a crazy woman making funny faces trying to be artistic.....oh please.

there is nothing to bitch about in pairs and ice skating IMO.

seriously something needs to be done, I highly doubt we´ll se any time soon someone that can move feelings like Kwan used to do.

I want Butyrskaya back:sobbing:

I want that wonderful Russian school back on their feet kicking everyone´s ass :sobbing:

LoveFifteen
Feb 27th, 2010, 10:13 PM
I feel you!

IGmlMmMs4B4

So beautiful! :sobbing:

She really did have some incredible grace and movement. So mesmerizing! :hearts:

PhilePhile
Feb 27th, 2010, 10:21 PM

Katherine Healy:

s_QhuJrDVW0&feature=related

fufuqifuqishahah
Feb 28th, 2010, 07:09 AM

xD

Surya :hearts:

lol love the attitude

RYNJ
Feb 28th, 2010, 07:16 AM
Kim Yuna was AMAZING! and this is from a Michelle Kwan fan. Yuna is the only person that can almost match Michelle in artistry!

Slammer7
Feb 28th, 2010, 07:52 AM

Surya Bonaly :hearts: :worship:

Kart
Feb 28th, 2010, 11:42 AM

:worship::worship::worship:

That time she protested her silver medal at the worlds was a classic !

That said, I like Kwan, it's a shame she never demonstrated what she was capable of on the Olympic stage.

tommyk75
Feb 28th, 2010, 11:21 PM
Actually, Michelle DID... Sadly, it was with her "Fields of Gold" Gala Performance. My God, that was easily the most emotional and beautiful skating program EVER...

P.S. I actually do think Tara deserved to win that night, but Michelle also landed 7 triple jumps (she just didn't do them in combination or in a sequence, while Tara did both).

barboza
Mar 2nd, 2010, 06:17 AM
I feel you!

IGmlMmMs4B4

:hearts::hearts::hearts:

barboza
Mar 2nd, 2010, 06:23 AM
even though michelle didn't win gold, she's easily better than any gold medalists out there

Ellery
Mar 2nd, 2010, 02:09 PM
even though michelle didn't win gold, she's easily better than any gold medalists out there

bla bla bla.
Yes, Michelle is the greatest figure skater ever, we know. :)

Golovinjured.
Mar 2nd, 2010, 02:27 PM
Yu-na Kim stole my heart in Vancouver. :awww:

Crazy Canuck
Mar 2nd, 2010, 03:06 PM
aaaannnnnd, ignore.

It's getting to be a lengthy list.

*JR*
Mar 2nd, 2010, 05:34 PM
I love Michelle, but no Olympic skater in living memory was as beautiful as Fraulein Witt. :hearts:

k-rMfIyX4rM

Anyone who disagrees will get a "visit" from Tonya Harding & friends. :smash:

M2k
Mar 3rd, 2010, 12:08 AM
I Fraulein Witt. :hearts: Anyone who disagrees will get a "visit" from Tonya Harding & friends. :smash:

That woman was crazy :eek: That she actually went on a date with one of the judges to see where they 'll place her competition... :eek:

What a bitch :lol: